Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey vs Dodge/Chrysler minivans

Comments

• mitchs3mitchs3 Member Posts: 68
    Well I did open up the can when I asked for help choosing either the Odyssey or Town and Country. What is most important is reliability over the comforts, though the latter is important. We have placed a order for 2003 Odyssey EX-L without yet driving because none of the dealers have one to drive. If only Honda will come out with a more luxurious SE model this coming year (2003)...Or perhaps an Acura badged version...No one has given me compelling reason to retry another Chrysler after all the trouble my 97 Town/country has given me....
  • ody01ody01 Member Posts: 100
    Reliability most important get Odyssey. Love 2001 Odyssey now has 15,700 miles no problems. Odyssey most room, Magic Seat most luggage space, most power, almost best mileage. Don't need all extra feature on Chrysler minivan.
  • steelengsteeleng Member Posts: 71
    If only for purely psychological reasons. If you purchase a DC van it will have to perform flawlessly in every way or you will end up with a bad case of buyers remorse thinking that you should have bought the Honda. On the other hand, if you buy the Honda and it breaks down you can always comfort yourself by saying "at least it is better than a DC." ;)
  • maple49maple49 Member Posts: 66
    I also recently purchased a Honda 2002 EX-L. This van drives great. It is quick, responsive and very comfortable (the leather looks and feels great). I traded in a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I never even looked at the Chrysler vans. I personally feel that they are overpriced, cheaply built and have horrible resale value. Also, the folding third seat is a feature that can not be overlooked. You made a good choice.
    Not compared to Odyssey, Windstar, GM, or Sienna. Smaller Sienna most overpriced minivan cost thousands more than Odyssey or Chrysler. Friend 02 Chrysler T&C more feature my 2001 Odyssey EX $3000 less sticker price. Odyssey Magic Seat, most space luggage, most power, suspected high resale reason got Odyssey and not Chrysler.
  • mrnimmomrnimmo Member Posts: 271
    He must have blown a tranny. Let me fill in for him, "Chryslers are obviously superior in that they have a much more plush armrest. And the trannies were fixed in 89, 94, and 98. There are no problems since those years, no matter what any of those consumer groups say. And all the Accords in my neighborhood suck."
  • calgcalg Member Posts: 53
    Some think Ody01 is Carleton... he showed up around the time Carleton stopped posting. I'm not sure, but some of what Ody01 says sure does "channel" Carleton-isms!
  • dave210dave210 Member Posts: 242
    Well, if Ody01 is Carleton, I suggest he go back to writing in complete sentences. Ody01's fragmented senteces are killing me!
  • hersbirdhersbird Member Posts: 323
    speaking of such missing persons, anybody seen my Goat? And what was that old Marine's name? Is he still around? He was great.
    His name was Marjoe, where did he go?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Depends on what the pseudonym de jour is I suppose (be careful what you wish for).

Anyone have any topical questions or comments? :-)

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • farfegnugenfarfegnugen Member Posts: 25
    That Ody01 is Carleton. The fragmented sentences (and made up story) are an attempt to try to throw people off since he swore that he would leave Town Hall (of course, he has sworn to do this several times in the past before, always returning anyway, LOL). However, there is no hiding the message structure and spelling, which is clearly how Carleton used to write. Not to mention that the history of where ody01 has posted shows that he has an interest in mainly the Chrysler, Odyssey, and Kia Sedona topics, identical to what/where Carleton used to post. Coincedence? I don't think so! Carleton's obsession with the Sedona's fuel consumption and weight is still carried over in Ody01's messages as well, as is the defensive nature when someone mentions the Odyssey's 3rd row seat, or Chrysler vans being more expensive (remember that Carleton traded in his '98 Caravan for a '02 EL after the former's head gasket leaked).

Besides, there are other ways (e.g. IP address tracking) that make it pretty easy to confirm that! ;-) Additionally, I have caught him in the act when he posted a message under "carleton1", only to have it disappear 5 minutes later with the identical message being posted under Ody01. That pretty much confirmed it for me!

I just continue to be amused as to his messages. Now just watch Ody01 disappear for a while because of the sudden interests in Carleton, and then reappear shortly after the heat has cooled off, heh.
    I didn't know he got rid of the GC.... Now your claims make sense.

It still doesn't seem like Carleton. After all, he fessed up to the problems with his GC and even admitted--gasp--owning VW vans (my first love I must admit--illogical as it is).

Topical statement- I like minivans, including Hondas and some Caravans (the earlier 4cyl/3spd or 5 spd without all the electronic stuff to fail).
  • farfegnugenfarfegnugen Member Posts: 25
    Well, he bought a '02 Grand Caravan EL, so he still has one, LOL. His sister (I think) has a '01 Odyssey EX though, just like ody01 claims to ;-) ;-)
    I liked my old VW Van and tolerated my old Voyager pretty well too. Both had head gasket problems though - the VW's was much worse and wound up trading it instead of fixing it.

Anyone got any new comparison stuff they want to talk about to get us back on topic?

Steve
    Host
  • sweingastsweingast Member Posts: 28
    Well I had to finally remove one of my third row seats in my T&C. It made me think of the Honda's third row seat. I guess I am surprised that I never removed it before since our vehicle is a people/kid mover and not a cargo mover.

In contrast my wife uses the power hatch every day. She is about 5 foot and has a hard time with the height and dirt of the hatch. The kids are even smaller but they would not mind the dirt.

The question is - which one of these options are more useful? It seems if you are a cargo type - buy the Honda ... for young kids buy the T&C. Others ... please comment.

I know that both systems have their issues. On the T&C it is another thing that can break and it could hit things in a parking garage if you are not careful. The Honda cannot have a full size spare, has less noise insulation and has a flater gas tank that has to warns much earlier.

I guess I am suprised on how much we use the power hatch and how little I remove the seats. I guess is was like the first remote sliding door. You never thought you would use it, until you had it.

Wanted to get back on topic - without name calling.
  • tomtomtomtomtomtom Member Posts: 491
    I have removed the bench in my '01 T&C 3 times in 1 1/2 years, trip to IKEA and Salvation Army. The bench is heavy but I got used to it after the second time.

What do you guys think about the 2003 Explorer and 2003 Navigator?
    Well we have the most awkward and heavy rear seat ever put in a minivan in out 2000 Grand Caravan, and we have it out at least once a month. It's never a problem, I can do it all by myself in a few seconds. We actually pulled it out in the parking lot last weekend to sit on it and watch the fireworks. Can you do that with the "Magic" seat? The newer Caravans can have the split rear seats which would allow even my frail Mother-in-law to be able to remove the seats by herself. Also once the seats are removed you have a cargo area bigger then most full sized pickups, out rather large couch fits in there with the hatch closed. All that and over 20 gallons of gas, a rear drive axle, rear a/c system, a full size spare, and a automatic load leveling suspension back there. No wonder there is no room to have a thin folding seat stuffed there as well.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    hersbird said "We actually pulled it out in the parking lot last weekend to sit on it and watch the fireworks. Can you do that with the "Magic" seat?"
    Don't have too. Just pull the headrests off, put them in their storage place and flip a lever and fold the seat down the reverse way and it becomes a reverse facing seat and the heavest thing I have to lift is the couple pound headrests.
    Often speak of their 96, 98, and 00 GC as compared to their current model. I suppose if I were a continual lease type and never had a vehicle out of warranty, I would be less concerned about GC reliability. I'm sure it's a good pick for those types.

Personally, I drive vehicles until the wheels fall off. I prefer 150,000-200,000 miles per vehicle. Of course all the vw's combined didn't make it half that far! But I mean I drive the wheels off my transportation vehicles as opposed to my hobby vehicles.

I think all Chryslers have a long way to go before they are mentioned in the same breath as Toyota or Honda. Of course, a Vito based Caravan (weekend camper?) would be very interesting.
    I will buy a vehicle with a power hatch, power sliding door, power leather ashtray, etc. when I have to. Only when there is no other reliable vehicle on the market without these gizmos. (I feel the same about automatic trannies but understand that some folks live in congested areas with lotsa stop and go traffic so I understand your desire to have an inefficient automatic slushbox.)

I'm amazed at how some people buy the latest gadget (remember when it was driver's side sliding doors or power sliding doors) and claim that life without this gizmo is not possible. Same folks drive cars and live in homes without power doors. They are capable of opening a door on other cars and their homes, so I guess the physical disability is only temporary.

The Magic Seat is nice, but I wouldn't hinge my purchase on this. The cargo van marketing crap is in the speaking points for caravan salesman. I hear it far too often. I have a first generation oddy (accord wagon?). I think the biggest attribute of the magic seat is the ability to have both cargo space and occasional use of the rear seat on trips. We pack the van full for the trip with the seat folded away, unload when we arrive at the vacation destination, and then unfold the rear seat and have the ability to seat a friend or two back there. I'm not sure that it is drastically superior to the split roll and tumble arrangement on the sienna or a split roller seat that folds forward such as on the DC or older GM vans. But it's nice on those occasions.

Mandatory Carleton Content- I miss Carleton.
  • odd1odd1 Member Posts: 227
    My biggest complaint with removing the D/C seat was where to store it. It always bugged me that one of the cars couldn't fit in the garage with the seat in there.

Dmat- that is exactly what we did this week. Faced the rear of the van towards the fireworks and placed the back seat in the tailgating position.
  • cavillercaviller Member Posts: 331
    I always find I feel like I'm sliding off the seat. No matter how I adjust the recline, It seems to slope downward. At 5'10", my knees are no where near the edge to bend, so it's hard not to slump which makes the problem worse. Might be handy for the kids in a couple years, though...
  • odd1odd1 Member Posts: 227
    I'm 6'4" so I guess that makes me long enough not to notice. I know one of these days I'm going to stand straight up under rear door and knock myself out cold though.
  • pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    I find it interesting that references to Carlton1 are tolerated. Both Marjoe and I made response to you about where Marjoe is currently posting at TH. They were both deleted. I wonder where Carleton1's friend swampcollie ended up.
    Carleton1 wasn't banned although he seems to have "resigned" from Town Hall. People come and go around Town Hall all the time.

Enough of this off-topic "where are they now" talk and back to vans.

Steve
    Host
    After 2 years its time to try something different. We kind of hate to part with the van as this is the first vehicle in about the last 30 we have bought that has never had a problem. Also with a sticker on the 01 EX of 28.8 we got 24K on trade for a new Chevy Avalanche. I only wish we could do that good when 2 years are up on this one. At least the DC boys/girls will be happy to know it has padded armrests in which the same thing as everyother vehicle that has them is that I am tall enough that I lack about 1 to 2 inches of my left arm being able to rest on it, so the padded armrest met nothing to me. Its been fun stirring the pot around here and hope someone takes my place and stands tall against 4dodge
    The Chevy Avalanche sucks ;-) Haha...
    Sorry to see you go though.
    lol, nice send-off Tomtomtom. No need to be a stranger Dmathews3 - plenty of us chime in around here without ever having owned the model under discussion. Enjoy your new ride!

Steve
    Host
    I may just do that, after all if I leave you won't have any posts to delete! :-))
    lol, something tells me I'll manage to find a few either way!

Steve
    Host
  • whambamwhambam Member Posts: 37
    E-mail me, please.
    Nice, attractive, powerful, comfortable, fuel efficient Odyssey for UGLY, gas-guzzling Avalanche with cheap plastic on lower half of side.
    Lucky to get half cost of Avalanche on trade in 2 years. Chrysler minivan depreciation less than most GM vehicle.
    Odyssey only minivan with waiting list. Honda will double production at Alabama assembly plant.
    Many people bought Volkswagen years ago. Some Honda dealer rude like Volkswagen dealer but Honda not build junk like Volkswagen.
    Chrysler copy Volkswagen idea but call bus a minivan. Chrysler add comfort item like heater, air conditioner, quality stereo, adequate power. Chrysler never build junk like Volkswagen.
    Maybe Dmathews3 knew something about the Ody that the rest of you Ody owners don't.
    Time to SELL, SELL, SELL!!
  • dave210dave210 Member Posts: 242
    Ody01 need talk in complete sentences or does need to go back 2nd grade school?

Sorry but you come off ill educated when you write.
  • whodeywhodey Member Posts: 19
    My wife and I are about to start looking at T&Cs and Odysseys. Need some honest opinions on which is better. Normally, I would go straight to the Honda dealer but Chrysler's new 7yr/70k mile warranty is impressive I want to spend $25k to $28k...is that crazy?
    Any help out there?
  • pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    You question is highly subjective, but I would not be too impressed by DC's 7/70 warranty because:

1) It doesn't cover many problem-prone items such as AC system or window actuators.

2)DC's customer service leaves something to be desired: you may have to live with a problem until you can convince them there is one, unless you want to pay for it yourself.

If you want seven year protection, you might look at mechanical breakdown insurance such as GEICO's which may be more economical than an extended warranty and more flexible as far as who can do the repair.

My 2 cents.
    It really depends on what you want/need from your money. There must be something you like about the DC vans besides the 7yr/100K. Are those things important to you? Do you plan to sell your car in a couple of years? If so, you don't need to think about the 7yr/100k. Do you carry 5 people all the time? If so, the magic seat in the Ody and the bench seat in the DC van will not help you to increase cargo space.
  • pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    The DC van offers better seats than Ody IMO, if you get the split rear seat which is comfortable for an adult. Magic seat is for kids, IMO. Ody front seat cushion not comfortable for me, so check it out. The flimsy plastic table in the front seat of the Ody makes it hard for me to believe this is a $25-30K vehicle. BTW I never had to remove a rear bench seat anyway, lots of room if you just fold the back of the DC straight rear bench. If I need a supply of building materials, etc., makes more sense to get a truck or have cargo delivered than overload a passenger van.

Add the road noise of the Ody (from the well for the Magic seat?) and you have a not too enjoyable ride IMO. But if you're a Honda fan, you will never be satisfied with the DC van (which is not perfect, either) so it's really a question of brand preference IMO. Anyway, DC parts are cheap!
    Prefer firm Odyssey seat soft Chrysler minivan driver seat. Magic Seat convenient haul large, bulky not heavy item. Love automatic temperature in Odyssey EX. Honda very reliable, not need extended warranty.
    Agree best use pickup heavy items. Use Nissan King Cab haul cement blocks, heavy fence posts, heavy garden supplies.
    Marjoe great Odyssey defender. Suspect marjoe trade 99 Odyssey for new Chrysler minivan.
  • whambamwhambam Member Posts: 37
    ... own DC minivan, like very much, sit up high, split air condition, haul concrete block and brick pallet, sometimes highway divider
  • geh86geh86 Member Posts: 11
    I am in the exact same predicament. Sienna and MPV are too small. Regarding the 7/70k warranty, I spoke to a DC/T&C dealer about the 'small' deductible that comes with the warranty. It is $100 a wack...beware of the fine print!
  • maple49maple49 Member Posts: 66
    I have had two DC products (Jeep Grand Cherokees) and now have a 2002 Odyssey EX-L. Don't believe the same stuff told over and over above. The 2002 seats are very comfortable. The van is very quick, responsive and quiet. Build quality is excellent. The folding center tray is convient and by no means flimsy. The magic seat is just as comfortable as the bench seats in DC & Ford and is a wonderful feature. I know 8 people who own Odysseys from 1999-2002 and they all love them. No one has had any problems. The only two people I know who have DC vans (one Dodge, one Chrysler) have had multiple problems. I have heard stories of bad Honda dealers but my delear has been great. Also, fake wood does not make the T&C a luxury vehicle.

You are doing the right thing in asking for opinions. My advice is to drive both and try out the features. Fold the third seat of the Honda and then take out the bench in the DC. Spend time in the seats to determine your comfort level. Talk to friends and make a decision you are comfortable with. Good luck!
  • bdaddybdaddy Member Posts: 171
    I'd suggest you try and drive both vehicles on the same day. If a 240 H.P. V-Tec engine, 4 wheel disk brake, 5 speed tranny, independent suspension vehicle is what you want, then I'd opt for the Honda.

On the other hand, DC has been making minivans. for almost 20 years. If you want a 200 H.P. push rod engine, 2 wheel disk rear drum brake, I- beam rear suspension vehicle, buy the DC.
  • whodeywhodey Member Posts: 19
    I appreciate that you took the time to post. My wife really wants the Odyssey and my own head is telling me to go with Honda. This just made the decision much easier.
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    Not all DC minivans have drum rear brakes. Rear discs are available or standard on 8 of 14 models on the 2002's
    Our 2000 Grand Caravan is pretty low option, but it had rear disc brakes with antilock standard. It also has a standard auto leveling suspension and that rear 'I' beam axle works excellent when towing our 14' 3000 pound camper with a few weeks worth of gear in the back of the van. Sits just the same as when it's empty, and can stop that camper w/o electric brakes just fine (not to mention cruise the speed limits even on passes of Montana while towing.) The seats can just be folded over to carry pretty large cargo back there, 4x8 sheets of plywood fit back there with all the seats in. Multiple bikes will fit fine just by sliding the rear seat forward, then kids can still sit safely there. Pushrod motors in my experience have peen more reliable then OHC motors. The OHC motors may be a bit smoother and quite, maybe make a few more HP per liter, but they are also more likely to experience smoking and headgasket problems. Some of these advantages and disadvantages are due to the motor being more 'tweaked' from the factory then the normal pushrod motor. Dodge is building a all new motor for the trucks (and later the cars) it is the all new 5.7 Hemi motor, and it's all old-school pushrod. The OHC 4.7 V-8 from Dodge is powerful (up to 270 HP) but actually costs more to make then the new 5.7 which makes 350 HP even in the introductory model. I bet there will be some almost 400 hp versions with in a few years. So if the pushrod motor is kept up to date with current technology, there is no reason it cannot be superior to a OHC motor. I'm sure that Dodge will not sell the 5.7 Hemi trucks for less then the 4.7 trucks even though they cost less to produce, nobody would buy the "technology superior" 4.7 for more. The new 5.7 even gets similar gas mileage to a 4.7, so that's not an advantage. Speaking of Caravan though, the 3.8 was upgraded quite a bit in the 2001 redesign, but out older style 3.8 seems to do the job well. Time will tell if the odysseys will start pushing smoke out the tailpipe at 100-150,000 miles and 10 years like almost every other ohc motor I have seen, of course just like in push rod motors, they constantly improve the OHC motors as well.
    Honda Odyssey 3.5L 240 HP 242 Torque. Odyssey 5 speed automatic. Chrysler 4 speed.

Van sales May 2002:

http://www.autosite.com/editoria/asmr/svolva.asp

#1 Dodge Caravan

#2 Chrysler Town & Country

#3 Ford Windstar

#4 Honda Odyssey

#6 Toyota Sienna

#9 Chrysler Voyager

No discount, no rebate, no gimmick Honda Odyssey. Odyssey many feature, great demand cause waiting list.

This discussion has been closed.