Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Sorento

steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
edited December 2013 in Kia
2003 Kia Sorento

Comments

• carspy01carspy01 Member Posts: 137
    Thanks a lot, Steve, for starting the new forum. We love it. For all the new ones over here, please check the "KIA BL"-one as well, as this was the beginning of our discussion leading to the Sorento. See you all here!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    And let me know how Kia wants us to spell it :-)

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    Steve, bluewinds commented to one of my postings (Kia BL) before, and the story behind it is that Kia in Korea originally had a contest in regard to the shape of the logo. The spelling there was Sorrento with 2 r's like the city in Italy. However, Kia decided to change it to Sorento. Keep it like that for now!
  • delindabvdelindabv Member Posts: 2
    I want a new Sorento now! I've been waiting and looking for spy pics allover the internet dreaming. I already have a Sportage, but it would be nice to have a Sorento to go along with it.

I keep seeing them everywhere, but the KIA logo is always masked.

With buyer demand, I think this one just might make it to dealerships BEFORE Fall 2002.
  • petie2petie2 Member Posts: 2
    Sorento with one 'R' is a city in Illinois. That resolves the issue with one versus two Rs. And aligns more with their apparent U.S.-city naming convention (Sedona).

Does anyone know the competitive set in which Kia expects the Sorento to compete? At the L.A. Auto Show they said the Explorer and the Pathfinder. But from what I'm reading lately, that doesn't seem right. Perhaps there is no direct competitor for the Sorento (yet).
  • gsogymratgsogymrat Member Posts: 97
    Definitely like what I see so far. Has anyone heard a price estimate or when they will hit the showrooms?
  • big_guybig_guy Member Posts: 372
    Any inclination about fuel economy for the Sorento? The same 3.5L V6 in the Sedona doesn't get very good fuel economy ratings and it doesn't have to lug around the extra weight of a low range 4WD system. I would expect to see number in the V8 gas hog range of 12-18 mpg. Any thoughts?
  • jeepster4jeepster4 Member Posts: 53
    Latest word is to expect them in August
  • petie2petie2 Member Posts: 2
    The last I heard was around $20,000. Knowing Kia, that's fully loaded.
  • charlesm1950charlesm1950 Member Posts: 24
    I have gassed up twice now. A total of 32.6 gallons. I have gone 594 miles on that in mixed driving around Austin. So, my gas mileage is about 18.2 miles per gallon.

My old car was a 1997 Sebring convertable with a 2.5L engine. I averaged about 19.8 miles per gallon with similar driving. Considering the engine size and the weight of the Sorento I think the mileage is reasonable. The EPA sticker said 15 MPG City and 20 MPG Highway.

The next time I drive down to Houston I'll check the highway mileage.

CharlesM
  • bb8bb8 Member Posts: 60
    My wish list for The Sorento tranny is 5 speed automatic, why does Kia design in a 4 speed automatic tranny?
  • guyfguyf Member Posts: 456
    Hi, everyone, I'm back.
    Please check out the official Korean Kia-site:
    www.kia.co.kr
    Click the language Korean (NOT English), do NOT download the Korean text display, there it is! The animation (second Korean link) is pretty cool, but takes forever. Very nice photos, even a 7-seater configuration!!! Too bad we won't get half of the goodies! See you around. As always.
  • yoonnyyoonny Member Posts: 33
    Where is the buzz? This is seriously best looking SUV. Europeans agreed on one of their initial image survery beating out Lexus RX300. Kia's image will change with the new Sorento. I checked out http://www.kia.co.kr/mall/rv/sorento.asp

The price starts at $15,700 and tops off at $20,800. (converted at $1 = 1300 won) This SUV has everything that new Honda Pilot has for a few thousands less. Nice touches like 3rd row seats, headlight washers, etc. Wow!

I don't know how Kia will sell Sportage with this on their line up though.

• dielectric7bbdielectric7bb Member Posts: 324
    Lexus or a Kia...I can't read the writing on the wall :)
    Where is it? I would like to see the pictures, thanks!!!!!!
  • yoonnyyoonny Member Posts: 33
    click on the link on post #14 then you will see a picture of Sorento on the right side of the page. Right under it has links(the line where it says "e-Catalog"), click the second link from the left side of that line. It will open up a new window (takes a while)and when it opens up just play with whatever clickable words (objects) you can find.
    Thanks! I saw it, totally impressive, the 7 seating arrangements are far superior than the Honda Ody Magic seats, impressive very impressive.
    I saw the price 27 millions Won (under $21,000)for the highest model limited edition, the leather seat, LCD DVD entertainment system is optional or what? I can't read the Korean Characters... sigh!!!!
  • cb70cb70 Member Posts: 226
    Nice research!
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    will probably stay with Sportage if Kia doesn't make a manual tranny available for Sorento! Nice looking SUV though!

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• cb70cb70 Member Posts: 226
    5 passenger Sorento.

Maybe they will come out with the rear seats at a later date?

http://www.kia.com/020702.shtml

The Korean webpage I mentioned in posting #13, which led to all the links yoonny checked out, just shows what KIA puts in a vehicle in their home market. The Santa Fe in Korea has a 7-seater configuration as well, and lots of other stuff, we did not see so far. And I'm pretty sure we won't. And in Europe neither. However, it shows what's possible in such a size vehicle. Even in larger SUV's in the US-market the room of a third row seating is debatable, as usually the leg room is pretty bad for larger than 6 footers. And most of us are. For the Sorento, the US will not get the 7-seater configuration. Nor the Navigation system or the headlight washers. The Sorento in Korea though does not have the side curtain airbags yet, which will be available here. And, and, and. But the good thing is that KIA will kick some serious butt with the Sorento in whatever configuration they will market here. And I can only repeat what I said in an earlier posting: The Sorento will be another important Milestone for KIA here and around the world.
    I just found out, that the Sorento will be available in Europe with a 2.5l Common-Rail Diesel, a 2.4l 4-cyl., and 3.5l V6. At least the Diesel and the 4-cyl. will be available with manual transmissions! That might give "the manual tranny front" some hope for the US as well!
  • dookissdookiss Member Posts: 3
    i don't know why korean car maker doesn't make navigation system available here. actually i wanted to buy hyundai sonata last fall, since it looks good to me and i know korean car is good enough to drive. (i am korean student in us graduate school). but i needed the car with navigation system since i cannot find the location without it. so i bought acura tl. it is a good car, but not good enough for additional $12,000 and i don't want to pay over $30,000 for a car. kia optima, daewoo magnus, hyundai sonata and of course hyundai xg all have navi in korea. i heard even elantra will get one. sorento looks real good to me. i think i will buy this one 2 years later, if they make good navi available. i always keep the car 3 years.
    march madness starts. go blue devils. go spartans. coach k and izzo is greatest, aren't they?
  • yeppyepp Member Posts: 5
    Why not just get a map?
    Offering luxuries such as navSYSTEMS may go against Hyundai's philosophy of offering a lot for less.
    Think about it: A 18k car with a navSYSTEM?
    Dookiss, thanks for the posting. Great to have you. We are all "imports", aren't we? Somehow at least. And you are absolutely right: in Korea you find much more models with a navi-system of some kind. It's the same in Europe. The new Ford Fiesta (smaller than the Focus, guys!!!) will have a navi as an option, so do endless other French, Italian etc. brands, even GM's Opel Corsa - all smaller that the Elantra! We come out of highly populated countries, dookiss, and we are used to other things, but the systems will come over here, too. Just takes time. And for yepp, those things are cheaper than you imagine! And, yes, I believe a 18k car with a navi is absolutely possible. Hey, just wait, even though it's not planned yet for the US-Sorento, KIA and the Hyundai-group in general will surely surprise us with the face-lifted XG (already introduced in Korea) for 2003, and surely in a year or two with a Sorento Limited which will have the navi option! As always, stay safe!
  • kilosierrakilosierra Member Posts: 2
    Guys,

It appears that the Sorento will be pretty popular in the US market. Here in Korea, it is a stunning sucess. I work for Hyundai on the diesel engine side so the common rail engine system is becoming the market standard here in Korea and in Europe.

The price for the Sorento has not been decided for the US market, as of yet. With that said, maybe guys in product planning already figured out the price. Anyway, the fully loaded Sorento is about 29Million won, which is about $22,307. This is with the 2.5L common rail diesel engine. The US model will be equipped with 3.5L ,with different engine software than that of the XG350.

Let see if the Sorento rocks..!!
    discuss(or any of the other posters here)whether Kia will offer a Sorento model with manual transmission? It looks to be only electronically-controlled automatic transmission offered so far. Also, do you know any of the 2003 Sportage changes that are in the works? Body redesign or mechanical changes? Spill the beans if you feel free to!

• kilosierrakilosierra Member Posts: 2
    Hi..
    I guess some people are looking for the Sorento with manual tranny. However for your dissapointment, there will be no manual tranny for the Sorento.
    As far as the changes in the Sportage is concerned, there will be no major changes. There are rumors to upgrade the engine with the V-6 2.5 found in the Optima but then again that is just a rumor.

Just for your info, here at HQ a black Sorento with is displayed. It looks really sweet..
    Hope you can kind of understand the following:
    an=njong ha-shim-ni-kka, kiloserra? na nun han-gug-mar=ul mot ham-nida. dog=il mar=ul ha-shim-ni-kka?
    Thanks a lot for your input. I just need to find the pictures of the manual transmission for Europe of the Sorento - I have them somewhere...
    Our friends in the Netherlands:

Second picture on the right. Manual. You can enlarge it.

http://www.kia.nl/nl/index_modellen.html?cat=sorento

• site815site815 Member Posts: 16
    Hello. I can't speak Korean. Can you speak German?
    Thanks, site815! I knew by posting my message I will get some feedback from our Korean friends. I hope some more will reply! Are you ready for the soccer world cup? dog=il sa-ram im-ni-da! West! So, but please, guys, be diplomatic in your reply! OK, back to the Sorento... You can buy the Sorento now in Korea and you might have read my comments regarding the 7-seater configuration. What do you guys think of it? Anybody out there to give us some measurements in leg room, head and shoulder room in the 3rd row to confirm my thoughts?
  • 02_spectra_r02_spectra_r Member Posts: 19
    All sorento's will come with a standard V6, the 3.5L which it comes from the Hyundai XG350/kia sedona van. 16" are supposed to be standard to set it apart from the ageing but dominat Kia sportage. The Sorento is still on body on fram and not a unibody construction chassie. The sorento has 192+ Hp and about 200+ tourqe. The sorento gets its styling Shape, size, and performance from the Mercedes-Benz ML-Series, and the Jeep Grand Cherokee/Dodge Durango (mostly the Grand Cherokee. The reson for me saying this is that parent Hyundai Corparation is desing and engineering Vehicles with Daimler-Chyrsler/Daimler-Mercedes-Benz, also Hyundai is trying to become partners as well as Build and design some of there vehicles. Also you proably can tell that if you've ever seen any of hyundai's and Kia's Korean cars in Asia/Europe which are Versions of Mercedes/Acuras. More to come when I find some more Gossip.
    First of all, we are beyond prepared for the world cup, there are all sorts of facilities for foreigners in place all over the country already. Most impressive is that there are hundreds computer terminals all around the stadiums for free internet access for everyone.

The 7 seater configuration comes with all SUVs in Korea but most people take out the third row seats. They are too small to be practical for adults. The reason for their existance is that any car or truck that is designed for 7 passengers or more gets lower tax rates. Thats why manufacturers put almost useless seats in, in order to lower taxes. Once the vehicle is sold most people take them out. I guess that some people could find them useful though... But if you need to seat more than 5 on a regular basis, a minivan will be much better. But Koreans are on a SUV craze too so ..... :)

I like the Sorento and thinking about getting one. One thing I don't understand is that it uses a truck ladder frame and it is more upscale than the Santa Fe. I think this should be more utilitarian in design.

Hyundai/Kia has overlapping products.

Hyundai Terracan(Truck)
    Kia Sorento(Truck)
    Hyundai Santa Fe(Car)
    Hyundai Galloper(Truck) - Soon to be discontinued
    Kia Sportage(Truck) - Soon to be discontinued

If Terracan is to be the Luxury Truck based Suv, Sorento should take place of Galloper as a serious off-roader, but instead it tries to mimic Terracan.

Besides the confusing product mix, I like the Sorento.

I drive a BMW 525 now. Haha german cars are definetly better... just too expensive :(
    Thanks a lot for your reply! I really appreciate it - not because most of it confirms my previous postings here and in the Townhall, but because you gave some good insights for everyone! I got some heat in the past for raising some of the overlap questions. Most of it still has to be seen under the product development cycle when Hyundai and Kia were seperate. But you are right - some things seem a little weird. Thanks. A friend of mine told me the "secret" behind the 7-seater configuration a while back. It is quite similar over here with some of the 2+2 seaters and insurance premiums! :-)
    Sportage is soon to be discontinued? Say it isn't so! I drive a 2001 Kia Sportage 4x4 and, although I see some real good things in Sorento, I love my Sportage and would prefer the Sportage model. I don't like the fact that Kia will not offer a manual transmission in Sorento. My Sportage has a 5-speed and I prefer it for the slightly better gas mileage and IMHO better overall reliablility than automatic transmissions. When I say that I mean ALL makes and models overall. I think manual tranny's are more reliable in the Long-Haul. Love that Long Haul Warranty. I heard that Kia is tweaking the Sportage a tad for 2003 but your post above is the first that I've seen where Kia is discontinuing Sportage. No! Don't do it Kia!
    Also, maybe Kia is making the Sorento with body on frame truck-loke design like Sportage in anticipation of discontinuing Sportge. They want to offer off-road capabilities still, because they always have with the Sportage and it's(may be)going away. That's cool that there's free Internet access available to all at the World Cup stadium. Most endearing!

site815: See, J, what you did to poor B (iluvmysephia1)? He is cying in his cereal! :-)Sorry, iluv, I could not resist, but don't worry, you will get a replacement for your Sportage. However, it might not be called Sportage...
    2003 6sp Manual Sorento
    2004 Cut-off Sorento a.k.a Sportage
    2003 Sonata Coupe with 3.0 and Sport Suspension.

All in development.
    Hi, J! Thanks a lot. I knew of the first two. That's the reason why I tried to calm iluv down, but I did not know about the Coupe. Contrary, I heard something about a Sonata Wagon for Europe...?!?
  • yeppyepp Member Posts: 5
    WoW. A Sonata coupe AND wagon!
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Not a Sportage fan at all, but this new Sorento looks good.

Any idea of pricing?
    thanks, carspy01. german?? tall and polite in my book. i know some german guys. i am 5'10'' korean average size and i felt like middle school kid in front of them :)

anyone has interior pictures of sorento? also silver or pearl white color exterior. specially guys in korea. i really like to see some pictures from owners.

i read some articles about kia. i don't know the car well. one was positive and the other was negative. kia sedona had very good 5 star rating in crash test and had very bad result bumper test or something like that( very expensive repair cost). hope kia learn something from this.

i will be in the market again 2004. i don't buy first yr car. so i am interested in 2002 or 2003 model.
    kia sorento, mazda 6, vw passat. the list will grow. right now sorento is my favorite. if these models have no or bad navi, i will go for acura mdx. i was interested in new camry and es300, since toyota and honda has best navi. But i was very disappointed in their styling. so out of my list.

personally,i would like to spend less money as possible as i can,if the car has great navi, nice styling and interior, and somewhat solid build quility. i don't care brand or performance that much. oh, i forgot safety. it is most important.
    I have an excellent Navigation system installed in my vehicle, it is in my head! (*=*)!!!!!!!!!!!
    haha, yeah. actually, i envy guys like you who has normal sense of the direction ( is it right expression?). i have very bad sense. so i cannot find the way without navi. even my friends don't understand why i cannot find the place without map or navi. i don't understand too ^^.
    The new Matrix and Vibe have GPS navigation systems available. You should check it out.
    Take some more honey, the bee is a very good natural navigator, may be something in the honey can help you to restore your sense of direction.
    dindak: Scroll up in our discussion about pricing to the previous postings. So far (and reading some publications) I assume the range will be between 19K-24K in the US. I thought the Nav in the Matrix & Vibe is a simple DVD-system and NOT GPS... better recheck..

dookiss: Thanks a lot! My contacts to Korea were initially business, but I met a lot of wonderful people! :-) Love them all! The best links to the interiors of the Sorento can be found following posting#13 & 14. Click a little around on the "animated" site. It's worth it. Have a look at 31 as well.
    Nav system in Matrix/ Vibe is DVD based but uses GPS for location updating on the screen. It's suppose to be quite cool.
    Yepp, you're right. Got the Vibe-brochure right in front of me. DVD-based with GPS, so you'll see yourself as dots on the screen. Be careful speeding though... "Big Brother" might track you down! :-) Take care.