Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Sorento

Comments

• carspy01carspy01 Member Posts: 137
    OK, everybody, another great reason for the KIA SORENTO: Porsche Development Center in Weissach, Germany, was part of the development for Kia in regard to the tunig of suspension etc.
    Maybe our friends from SK can verify. Thanks.
  • yoonnyyoonny Member Posts: 33
    What are you doing in Korea? Have you been to any of the World Cup stadiums? I can't wait 'til the World Cup to begin. I hope Korea kicks USA's butt. I am still upset about the terrible Salt Lake City olympic games. It was exciting when I was in Korea watching the '88 olympic games.

Go Sorento! Go Korean Red Devils!
    Check out:

http://www.auto123.com/en/info/news/index.spy?cmd=view&artid=1992

Some hints regarding trim levels and options, 3 pages plus some pics, which most of us know already.

• collins14collins14 Member Posts: 39
    We were looking at a Highlander but the Sorento looks pretty good. Does anyone know an approximate price on the EX (without the luxury package) and when we will see them on dealer's lots?
  • bb8bb8 Member Posts: 60
    I am currently a Sedona Ex owner, basically I like the Kia Sedona, I almost want to purchase the Sorento too when it is available, but the Kia's handling of it's low speed airbag deployment issue does alarm me a little bit, I didn't hear any formal confirmation that Kia is going to fix the airbag deployment problem for the current Sedona owners. I will hold off my purchasing decision may be until after the Sorento passes all the safety tests and after 2 years into the production.
  • feilofeilo Member Posts: 128
    Kinda quiet out there ... anyone got the latest news on when the Sorento will hit dealers in the US? Did anyone register with Kia USA for email info on the Sorento and actually get an update? If this is coming out in the Fall, shouldn't there be some marketing going on?
    Yepp, kinda quiet. However, Kia is always like that about things. My bet is that we will see the first ones end of July/begin of August already.
    Updates from KIA-US are non-existent up to this day - guess they will send'em out AFTER our first test-drives....
    Juhn Myung-hun, senior executive vice president and COO at South Korea's second-largest automaker, told Reuters that increased production capacity and new models will drive sales higher in the years ahead.

"We plan to begin exports of Sorento SUVs to the U.S. in July," Juhn said.

Kia had planned to export Sorentos to the United States from April, but pushed back the start date to July due to better-than-expected domestic sales of the sports-utilities, he said.
  • debpdxdebpdx Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know FOR SURE the towing capacity of the 4wd Sorrento? The articles say 3500, but is that 4wd? I almost bought a Sante Fe last week because I was told BY THE DEALER that the towing cap. was 3500, but further research proved 2200 on the 4wd, 2700 on the 2wd!!!! I need to tow a small light travel trailer with something, and am thinking of waiting for the Sorrento.
    debpdx:
    The only FOR SURE indication so far via www.kia.com is the old press release: "In addition to hauling cargo, the Sorento will be able to tow up to 3,500 pounds, and will come pre-wired for trailer lights. A load-leveling system is available that will keep the vehicle level while towing or while carrying heavy loads."
  • jeepster4jeepster4 Member Posts: 53
    I'll agree that most people want the SUV look, but want car-like handling and don't go off road.
    These people buy Escapes, Tribunes, Santa Fes,RAV4s, RX300's etc.
    Most people that buy real SUVs, want and need off-road capability and towing ability. The problem comes when one of the want-a-be's buy a Jeep, Sorento, Blazer, etc., and are disappointed in the ride and handling.
    The Sorento doesn't compete with the Santa Fe, except with those customers that don't know the difference between a car-based want-a-be and a truck based utility vehicle.
  • arkainzeyearkainzeye Member Posts: 473
    i wonder if the Sorento will be better built than the Sportage? cause god knows that sportage had more than it's fair share of problems. Hell look at what consumer reports rated it. I think the specs on it look Great. but as you know, the 1st year for anything New is the dangerous year. i mean with problems. not just for kia but for just about anything NEW . So who will be the Lab rat here?
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    SUV! It's great looking and reliable. For a great price with that Long-Haul Warranty it's an unbeatable choice in a SUV.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• jeepster4jeepster4 Member Posts: 53
    I think you should look at the Sedona and Optima for an indication of first year quality for the Sorento. Both these vehicles have excellent initial quality ratings. For that matter, the operative word in referring to Sportage problems is "had". Quality of the Sportage has improved every year since its introduction and has made huge gains since the 1999 model.
    Just read the actual J.D. Power dealer survey, and you will read that Koreans will kick a** in comparison to European and domestics!
    The few things I can tell you is that imo Kia and Hyundai are the best kept secrets in the industry, and if you saw and drove the Sedona, you will crave the Sorento. Kia added shifts for the Sorento production as demand is so hot over there, the European sales start with the Diesels will be June, and if you come back to this site in one year, you will never ever mention the Sportage problems of the early years again! Bet 'ya!
    If you need another treat check out the official Korean website and have a look at the CARENS II, especially the interior shots!!! Simply GREAT!
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Looking good from what I've read this looks to be a nice REAL truck.

-mike
    Please check out the official German teaser on the Sorento at: http://www.sorento.de
  • mhenderson1mhenderson1 Member Posts: 164
    abouth the size of the highlander/Honda Pilot, or is it small like the Hyundai SUV? I recently sat in both the Highlander and Pilot/MDX and I felt that I needed to have more driver side legroom. I also liked the German teaser, thanks.
    It's a truck based SUV and it's big probably in the pilot/mdx size range.

-mike
    be similar as well, lower, or more than the Highlander/Pilot.
    It's a KIA so I'm guessing it will be in the $2x,000 range not over $30K like the others.

-mike
    Well, sorry to disappoint you, but the Sorento will be smaller than the Honda Pilot... lengthwise about 8 inches... Measures in metric (sorry):
    Length: Sorento 4,570 mm - Pilot 4,775 mm
    Width: Sorento 1,885 mm - Pilot 1,963 mm
    Height: Sorento 1,735 mm - Pilot 1,793 mm
    In other words, the Sorento is in its length on par with the Mercedes M-class and Lexus RX300, while a little wider than both of them, taller than the RX but not as tall as the M-class....
    As the "goodies" will be different than overseas, expect the base 2.4 l around US$18K, to topshot US$24-25K with leather, 3.5l V6 etc.
  • cb70cb70 Member Posts: 226
    length Sorento-187.99 HL-184.4
    width Sorento-77.28 HL-71.9
    Height Sorento-70.59 HL-68.7
    What are the interior dimensions?

My Trooper is Physically smaller than the Durango yet bigger and has more "utility" due to it's shape and interior cargo space. So let's see what the interior dimensions are :)

-mike
  • j_walkerj_walker Member Posts: 99
    It's a good thing the Sorento is smaller than the Pilot. This means it will fit in my garage. ;-)
    at dealerships now? Can we get more litirature on it? On the Honda Pilot board there is a person who actually saw the Sorento.
    But just checked the KIA site and I like the vehicle. Reminds me of a Rodeo w/better interior and AWD. Nice to see a FRAME and a longitudially mounted engine. And the TOD system is the same as the Trooper. This system is one of the best if not THE best AWD system which also has low range. If they price this right I might have to pick one up.

-mike
  • abc246abc246 Member Posts: 305
    I have seen the Sorento in person at the NY auto show and can say it looks like the RX300 in person, only better!. It has to be one of the best looking SUVs out there. I want to test drive one, but none seem to be at dealers yet. I think this SUV will be selling at MSRP and fully loaded will be in the $24k range. My only problem is that KIA has poor resale value and I don't want to loose $12k when I drive out the door. I also wish there was no timing belt, but that alone would not stop me from buying one. I took digital pictures at the show, but not sure how to post them.
    E-mail it to me mike@iace.com and I'll put it up on http://isuzu-suvs.com so you guys can see em.

My Isuzu dealer is also a Kia dealer so I'll let you all know the minute they get one.

Also the KIA is probably like the Isuzus, quick depreciation but will last a long time. Let's hope.

-mike

abc246: Please e-mail the pictures to our host, Steve - my friend! He can put them up!
    I am pretty sure we will see the first Sorentos at the dealers end of July/begin of August, and then get some brochures and inner dimensions.
    In Europe it is more or less uncommon to state front leg room, shoulder room, etc., so, sorry, I can not provide those numbers right now. Once we will have that info, possibly from our Canadian friends, we'll let you know.
    The top end MSRP in Germany for the 3.5l V6 with leather, head curtain airbags, headlight washer system etc., will be around 32.000 Euros. That includes already a 16% sales tax, and if you deduct another 10%, you'd end up with the USD-figure. As I mentioned before, we won't get all the goodies here, but US$24-25K seems to be the highest here.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Don't send them to me - I don't have a place to host them. Paisan has volunteered or you can put them on your own site or photo page. Details can be found in the Town Hall help linked on the left navigation bar.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • spfoteyspfotey Member Posts: 131
    does anybody know?
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I signed up for the Sorento email updates in May. No imformation yet. I think we should get the 3rd row seat and the 6 speed manual. Anyone know weather it has the following things:
    Power Sunroof
    Rear A/C
    Automatic Climate Control
    Power Liftgate (Nice thing to have)
    No 3rd row
    no MT

I know that the TOD equipped model will likely not have any MT option.

-mike
  • big_guybig_guy Member Posts: 372
    I saw a promotional add that had Kia in a marketing cooperation to coincide with the release of "The Lord of the Rings, Fellowship of the Rings" video and DVD. I guess they will be putting some sort of contest flyers in the first batch of videos/DVD's to win a new Kia Sorento and a trip to New Zealand. Beyond that, the only info I have seen regarding the Sorento has been here at Edmunds and a few other automotive web sites.

Just my $.02
    I mentioned a few things waaaay earlier in this and the old "BL-concept" hall in regard to manual transmission. Europe will get the manual, and as far as I know the US-base with 2.4l will get one, too. The next Sportage, based on a shortened Sorento-platform, will have the manual transmission - 5 speed only. Power sunroof, automatic A/C (see Santa Fe LX, Sonata LX, XG350) will be available on the EX-version. Sorry, no power liftgate. We discussed the 3rd row seat earlier as well. It will not be available in Northamerica (it's way too small anyway).
    Yepp, big guy, you're right with the Lord of the Rings-promo. And, if you want to go "international" on the Sorento, just go to google.com and type "Kia Sorento", and you will be surprised!!!
    I thought your colleagues posted pics in other halls before, and I can tell you where!!! Ha, ha, ha :-)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    lol, I bet you've been hanging out in the Amateur Redesign Studio.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    on Sorento manufacturing. Everything I've read says that the U.S. will only get the automatic tranny but with a couple different engine sizes. Also, regarding Sportage, it will be based on a shortened Sorento platform? Sounds good-especially the part about ONLY 5-speed manual transmission will be offered. That's exactly what I'm looking for-I want the Sportage-sized SUV anyway. Any early thoughts on the looks of the planned Sportage's redesigned body?

Someon sent me some pics from the NY auto-show. I'll post em up over the weekend for yah.

-mike
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Will the Sorento have rear A/C?
    Since yesterday, I received various infos to engine size for NA... majority said that Kia scrapped the base 2.4l completely for here AND the manual... so, only 3.5l V6... hmm, will try to get more info. First 2004 Sportage pics within the next 12 weeks. jchan2: No rear AC for NA for now.
    Preliminary Canada-specifics (which might change though) on the Sorento can be found on the pages of http://www.kia.ca
    Is that it will have the same GM tranny found in the Trooper and Axiom made in France, to go along with the TOD system from B&W. AT will be the only choice with TOD.

-mike
    Check this IR(Investor Relations) link out which gives a thorough write-up about Sorento's many high-tech features and even an explanation of what Sorento means. This is one beautiful new SUV!

http://www.kmcir.com/kia_e/news/newsview.asp?ino=11&page=2

It won 5 stars in the NCAP safety test and has gadgets galore, including hidden-in-the-front bumper wipers for the headlamps!

I'm sure all the gadets won't make it to the US market. If you look at any asian car you'll see in the Asian Domestic Market they get a lot more gadgets than we get.

-mike
    Following link gives you the European prices for the Sorento - link is of the Kia Fan Community in the Netherlands: http://communities.msn.nl/theKIAfancommunity/beschrijvingenbijhetkianews.msnw

Base version:

2.4 LX 24.995 euro (manual)

2.4 EX Custom 26.495 euro (manual)

2.4 EX 28.495 euro (manual)

2.4 EX Luxe 31.495 euro (manual)

3.5l, V6:

3.5 V6 EX 34.495 euro (automatic)

3.5 V6 EX Luxe 37.495 euro (automatic)

Common Rail Diesel:

2.5 CRDi LX 28.995 euro (manual)

2.5 CRDi EX Custom 30.495 euro (manual)

2.5 CRDi EX 32.495 euro (manual)

2.5 CRDi EX Luxe 35.495 euro (manual)

2.5 CRDi EX 34.495 euro (automatic)

2.5 CRDi EX Luxe 37.495 euro (automatic)
    More gadgets than the Northamerican versions, truly in the RX300 and M-class segment!

• cb70cb70 Member Posts: 226
    here in the States.
  • arizonianarizonian Member Posts: 8
    I was driving down the road today in AZ and saw one pass me. At 55MPH it does a pretty good impression of a Lexus but I did read the grill to make sure what I was looking at.

Does anyone have any info on pricing and options?