Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

give your opinion why ford F series trucks are the #1 vehicle sold in the world.

Comments

• hdriderhdrider Member Posts: 49
    Still gets down to personal choice, tastes and opinion. Been using Chevy trucks for workhorses for a lot of years and never had one let me down. I like the larger cab which looks better quality (to me anyway), got an 8 foot bed (plenty of room), I still have to climb into it (2x4), and it has plenty of power (8.1L/Alli) for horse trailers. From what I've read on the posts, all of the trucks have their faults/problems, but I think the GM guys are better at going off on the wildest tangents! Just my .02...
    Dave
  • xyz71xyz71 Member Posts: 179
    Could it be because Ford includes fries and a drink with every F-150 purchase? You can always Super-Size to a Super-Duty!
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    But Ford F-series has slipped to #2, behind G.M. which has taken over the top spot.

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/otf0999.html

(thanks to Ryan for link)
  • modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    I'm sure somebody will prove me right or wrong but combining GMC/Chev would be like Ford combining Taurus/Sable to knock off camry or accord as best selling car.

Ford is still ahead of chevy by a WHOPPING 5000 units. LOL!!!
  • tbundertbunder Member Posts: 580
    your little source is for one month only (not to mention outdated, its middle of march now dude). it also shows the tacoma ahead of the s10 for the month. do you really think the tacoma will outsell the s10 at the end of the year? who cares about one month? please list a source with 2001's total year ending sales numbers. ford wins again. like they always do. no one, i repeat, no one builds and sells as many trucks as fomoco. period.

yep, taurus/sable- same exact car basically. you think toyota or honda wants to combine those two together to see who sells more? not a chance. but do it, and it wins (dont know the official numbers, maybe taurus doesn't need sable) hands down i suspect.
  • everharteverhart Member Posts: 59
    That's nice you made it through but so what, I know a lot of Doctors who are very smart in their field but have NO common sense just as in all job fields - right. As my 2 Chevys to get me to work, my Chevys have never been a problem or my 2 Fords. I didn't call you a ig-no-ra-moos if you can read it again I said, I can't believe your that ignorant. Read ( I can't believe) not that you are as I don't know you. My point was on the Chevy threads there is alot of talk about nothing, meaning lots of posts not all problems.
  • white250white250 Member Posts: 68
    This is straight from GM & Ford....

Total 2001 truck sales figures.....

FORD F Series.... 911,597

Chevy + Avalache..769,006

So there you go quadrunner500, do some research before you open your flap !! And really I don't care if Ford falls two the # 2 spot, It's been the #1 selling vehicle for the past 20 years, which tells you that people have been buying F series trucks way before they where cool to have.Chevrolet owners just switched from buying cars to trucks.
    When you have two products that do excatly the same functions for the same price, It really comes down to quality & value.
    MRb11, you really don't get the "picture".
    In this free world, do you think people are forced to eat big mac's & drink bud beer, I don't think so, these companies are #1 becuase of the value & quality that appeals to most people. And in this world , the majority rules.
  • mrb11mrb11 Member Posts: 58
    Hey Partner!

You still don't get it. Read these words slowly....The most sold does not always equate to the best product.
    Says who ? YOU !!!! thats your dumb opinion.
    What is the only factor that proves that a product is the best on the market ?.....SALES !!!!!!!
    You have to look at the overall market, the majority want's big mac's , bud beer & Ford trucks, if there was something better, it would be #1. You might think they suck, but that is how most chevy guys are. " whatever I own is the best & if you dont have the same it sucks"
    Personally I have nothing against chevy or dodge, just the people who own them.
    For amusement, In your opinion, What equates a product to be the best ?

The last time I checked, people were free to buy any truck they thought was the best.

So, tell me why Ford is #1 & not GM, dodge or toyota for the past 20 years ?
  • sc0rpi0sc0rpi0 Member Posts: 897
    Well...the fact that bigmac is really bad for your health (not just regular bad, pretty bad) really doesn't seem to bother anyone.

Hmm.....Microsoft? They are "leader" in OS sales, and other applications, but look at all the negative publicity. Hell, you can experience the "bestselling" OS right at your home. Maybe not with XP, but Win2K has its problems, and Win98SE generally craps out on me every once in a while.
    Not to mention IE and IIS security problems.
    MS products may be a bestseller, but they arent any good. Meanwhile this little underdog called Linux has been happily running on my computer for 4 years now (last time I rebooted was 44 days ago). I can't leave my Win2K box at work on over the weekend, because on Monday it would be the running slower than a turtle on land.

Bestseller is what 270,000,000 americans choose to buy the most. Who says that majority of them are making the right choices? If millions of people are eating at McDs all the time, doesn't mean I'm gonna go get myself a $1 heartattack too.
    I could tell you why its not Toyota (At least in part): "Them [non-permissible content removed] dunno nothing. Them dunno how to build a real work truck". People stuck with Ford and others because they were "American". Heh....remember all those patriotic commercials that US automakers put out after 9-11? "Keep America rolling", blah blah blah, yada yada yada. There are still people who will buy Ford because it's an "American-made". Guess where those people live? SmallTown, Missouri, population 250.
  • midnight_stangmidnight_stang Member Posts: 862
    Does that last post sound a little bitter, and presumptuous?
    You just described most chevy owners, " bitter and presumptuous ". These posts are meaningless.
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    something becomes a best seller other than being the best. Price, marketing, availability to name a few. Not to imply this is any way the case with Ford.
  • jcmdiejcmdie Member Posts: 594
    Am I to gather that if I purchase a product and that because I want to make sure that it was produced in a fashion that supports the American economy, that I think like backwoods hick?
    No, it means that you don't know where Toyota builds their vehicles. They are assembled on factories in US, employing US workers, and shipped to dealerships in US, that employ US workers.
    If you want to talk about "supporting the American economy", ask yourself this: how does closing down plants and firing 30,000 employees help American economy? Who did that? Ford, 2-3 month ago.
    Ok but when you have two products that are similar in fuction, price, availibilty & are marketed about the same ,( I think GM does alot more marketing than others tho ). What else sets this two products apart ? SALES !!!!!
    I don't look at sales, those numbers don't mean anything to me. I look at sales growth. I've tried to explain this before in other forums, but it all falls on death ears.
    When company sells 300,000 units one year, and then next year it sells 200,000, even if it still is a bestseller, somebody is gonna get fired. Why? Because company has lost 33% of the sales, and with it, market share, and stock price.
    You're getting testy. Clam down. Are you having a bad day? Did a Chevy or a Toyota have to jumpstart your Ford this morning?
    Those figures are made up by Scoprio.

Sales growth is great, but when you only sell a piddily 7000 trucks a month, you really can only go away or up. Tundra only went up 1.9%(YTD).

Tundra also only has a 4% market share of Full size trucks, if you could count the Tundra as full size.

The F-Series line still still shows 35% market share. (FYI Scorpio, Ranger has 35%, Tacoma 19%)

Ok, enough for now, lets allow some more Toyota fans post this gripes and views on an Ford F-Series forum, cmon tell me about quality again.
    has inserted foot into mouth again....as usual.
    do you LIVE for edmunds, dude?

also, notice he said "ASSEMBLED" in america. big diff. my 2001 ranger had a build tag that said MANUFACTURED BY FORD MOTOR CO. IN U.S.A. (as much as we hate to claim that all intelligently led state, MN), not ASSEMBLED IN CALIFORNIA OR WHEREVER THEY SPOTWELD THEM THINGS AT. nonetheless, the minnesotans did a good job with it. solid beautiful truck.

WHITE 250, good to see someone else with balls.
    Hey white 250,

You're ragging at me like I'm a Chevy fan. I'm not. I'm a Toyota Fan. I own the Chevy because Toyota doesn't build a 3/4 ton with a big block. When I bought new back in 1998 the Ford 460 big block was a slug. If Toyota had a 3/4 ton big block I'd jump on it. Toyota builds the most reliable vehicles in the world and you know it but won't admit it. Is there any American car that can compete with the quality of the Toyota cars? Ya gotta give that one a big nope. So......why would Toyata build any less quality into their trucks?? And then you have to ask yourself why would the the American truck manufacturers build any more quality into their trucks than they do their cars? Ya gotta give that one a big "they don't"
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Please stop trying to "prove" things. That only gets everyone on edge.

At times, you have to agree to disagree....

PF Flyer

Host

Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

mrb11 you really need to grow up !!
    I have nothing against chevy or toyota, but I would never buy one.
    I just like to listen to your stupid responses.
    OK , so your logic is McDonald's & bud beer are #1 sellers & YOU think they suck. So, since ford trucks are #1 sellers, they suck also....ummmmm
    scorpio, what is your point ?
    If toyota is such a quality, american built truck, why don't they outsell anyone else ?
    Let me take a toyota truck to work everyday to the construction site, then haul heavy loads, pull traveltrailers & go offroad for the next 10 years and see what it looks like then.
    what do you consider quality? how about toyota and their sludge problems in the engine that anchors their company? and now they're just stepping up to replace them. that's quality eh? you want a quality mid-size car, nothing beats taurus/sable. 200 horses and available anywhere for pennies on a dime. why? cuz they build umpteen billion of them and anyone can own one. you price a comparable camry with the 190 horse V6? try 28 grand. taurus of same year with leather and 200 horse v6 is easily under 20K new, and used ones sell all day for $11995. camry is the biggest automotive ripoff this side of the mississippi.
    Do you have a reading disability? I said G.M., meaning Chevy + GMC (Silverado/Sierra) are outselling, (and outsold in 2001) Ford F series without Avalanche. If you don't care (as you say), then you can shut YOUR flapper. LOL!

Mod, please straighten this out. Ford F-series did not outsell GM full size trucks last year, and Al Gore did not win the election.
  • vwracervwracer Member Posts: 90
    Some of you non-believers want to try to explain to me why I see so many CHEVY racers at the race track pulling their Camaro with a FORD truck. I've NEVER seen a Mustang racer pull his trailer with a Chevy. Kind of makes you wonder doesn't it?
    We are compairing brands, not companies , just like everyone else does. Why dont you add in the hummer & cadillac pick-up too.....

Ok , I would like to ad up all the ford trucks ever sold & do the same for chevy/gmc.
  • modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    quad, I've tried.

White, I agree that Ford still sells more light duty trucks than chevy or GMC, but not both. It has NEVER been said any other way and I see both sides of the debate. HOWEVER, I've seen almost as much fighting about chev vs. GMC as I have chev vs________so I'm not convinced they are 100% interchangeable as far as brand loyalty.

Vw, how many times are you gonna' make that EXACT same post??? Just curious.
    Ok this should make everyone happy.

General Motor's sell's more trucks than Ford Motor Co.

Ford F-series truck brand sell's more truck's than chevrolet truck brand.

There , now everyone be happy !!
    You too White.

Flaprunner500 :)
    So what? It was assembled in US, using US workers. What more do you want? At least Toyota is not closing down plants and firing people in the middle of a recession.
    Point was: bestseller does not mean "best build, quality, power, features, price, etc. etc. etc, best thing since sliced bread"
    recession? you just showed your true colors my man, that or your immaturity. is this why i have made $2000 on one mutual fund since last december? cuz of a recession? we are not in a recession my friend. watch fox or cnn. you may learn something.
  • jcmdiejcmdie Member Posts: 594
    Sc0rpi0, It is true that the Tundra is assembled in the US by US workers. It is also true that the US parts content is lower than Chevy, Ford, or Dodge. That means imported parts assembled into a truck here. Which supports or economy more? I'm not sure.

tbunder, Being a business owner in the manufacturing sector, I assure you that we are in a recession. The reason that it is classified so mild in the news is that it hasn't affected all areas of the economy. Many service ares of the economy and construction are unaffected or actually better than before. Manufactureing is down. Orders for "durable goods" are up, but where are the durable goods made? Go to your local store and pick up items for sale and see where they are made. This will give you a clue as to why US manufacturing is in a recession.
    Oh yeah, thats right. The unemployment rate, low interest rates are there because Greenspan got tired of this quiet life and wanted to give americans a run for their money. Companies are going under and firing thousands of people because they feel like it. Boy, who has a foot in their mouth now? Simpson is not it is hyped up to be....they don't teach statistics, physics, and now economics (but we knew that already).
    With the situation nowdays, everybody is outsourcing production. Ford is outsourcing production of smaller parts to Mexico, but we don't see anyone caling Ford "not american" nowdays. Toyota wouldn't be a Japanese company if they started doing their design and manufacturing here too.
  • oldharryoldharry Member Posts: 413
    Superduty trucks are very different than F-150's. If I needed a 3/4 ton or bigger for what I haul and pull, I would buy a Ford. As I seldom tow, and never over 5000 #, and 1500# is the most I put in the bed, I drive a Chevy 1500. Ford sells more Superduty trucks than F-150's. Chevy only sells a fraction as many 2500 + trucks as their 1500's. Chevy racers pull their trailers with Fords because thet need big trucks. You don't see them pulling their Cameros with F-150's. Ford PSD is a million mile engine in a 300K truck. All the half tons are 300k trucks and engines. (I know someone knows of an exception). Now if Dodge would just build a truck to match the Cummins, You could buy one right out of high school and work it till you retire.

Harry
    i sense a little jealousy, eh???? nevermind, just cuz our commander in chief says we aren't in a recession, and all of the experts say the same thing, this must mean that we are? just cuz the manufacturing sector is down doesn't mean that we are in a national recession. it just means that part is down, ie. the demand rate isn't there right now. if we were in a recession, people wouldn't be buying cars and trucks and houses left and right. my sister works for john deere, and they are producing lots of product here in iowa. the usa isn't the only customers.

scorpio- simpson was just rated #1 in the midwest. check out us news and world report. im sorry you had to go to community tech, but dont insult others with your dime store education.

scorpio- another little thingy (SOME ADVICE). you're young- if i were you, id stop buying piddly little things (like expensive trucks), and invest 20 grand in some type of investment. by the time you were 60, with a growth rate of at least 10% (which is not hard to achieve) you could have nearly $1,000,000 to retire with. not counting your 401k if you have one. ever ponder the thought of compound interest? remember, that 10% is very small. most do lots better. the key is to hold on for the long run. dont sell like a moron like so many did 9-12. ill still be around when you turn 60. you can thank me then.
    Hey scorpio--->There will always be industries on the rise and fall. Companies will always be hiring and firing. But all the indicators now show that everybody tucked their head (and wallet) in good and tight after the 9/11 event. But now things are getting back on their feet, after the general public realized that their fear of being a good consumer was unfounded.

So your original comment about Ford having to lay off people to get back to basics is based on what? You do realise that Toyota doesn't even employe more than 30,000 people in America.

Even though you tout that Toyota manufactures in USA, don't you know where the profits are going? The name brand is still Toyota, which is not owned by Americans. And guess who is planning on building trucks parts in mexico? Toyota! Future Tacoma beds will be made in Mexico.
    I'm not even gonna answer any of that. First of all, it's all offtopic, and second...well, you wouldn't understand.
    Sure, companies hire and fire people. But not on the scale it's been done lately. "Dell has announced layoffs of 5,000 of its workforce in Austin, TX". Do those headlines ring a bell? That's bulk firing right there. All industries are so close to each other nowdays, if one falls, others will feel the impact and feel it good.

We are talking about Ford here, btw. You are changing it to Toyota and Toyotas' faults. Maybe Toyota does not employ 30K people....great. Ford is employing 30K less now, and Toyota employees keep on working (hopefully). They are taking home a paycheck and whatever else benefits.
    What about Mexico? Ford's been building parts in Mexico for a while now, nobody in US seems to be complaining. If Toyota can build parts for cheaper and lower prices, great. I'm not going to be complaining.
    nice dodge. looks like you may have learned a little bit, like what compound interest is? eh? its on your side bud. oh yeah, what wouldn't i understand? you're the one who won't reply to the post. how do those toenails taste?
    Why are you trying real hard to get me into this discussion? I have no desire to try and talk to you about what education I have and how to manage my money. I don't know how the toenails taste, thank you very much, and have no plans to find out. Are you speaking from personal experience? It seems that you are feeling a little....pissed off? For all the things you've said that turned out to be complete nonsense (that you have defended so vigirously...does "Who taught you physics?!?" ring a bell, just to name one?), you are trying to find a person who you can blabber about how much money you made during the economic recession, how nice your new Harley is, how great a nightschool diploma in CJ from Simpson is, etc. Get a dog for that.
    just like i thought, you don want to talk. you're the one who claimed we were in a recession, (thus starting this convo), so i am just stating reasons why i think we are not. do yourself a favor, and start some investments. it's not hard. your toyota is definitely not an investment. a hog otoh, definitely is.
    Ford trucks are the number one selling truck for 25 years, isn't it? That is going back a few years.

I know some people don't care about sales volume, stating it has nothing to do with how great a vehicle is. These people tend to drive vehicles that aren't #1.

Let us not forget that you should not buy a vehicle because it is the best selling. You should buy the vehicle that fits your needs, wants, budget, and expectations. Being the best selling vehicle is not the cause of being the best vehicle. The best selling statistics is the effect of being the best vehicle.

Let's see, I have a friend with a 1969 F100 Ranger that can still tow very well. My father has a 1990 F150 XLT Lariat, that is in pristine condition. He's looking at a 2002 F150, but just doesn't want to trade in a truck that runs so good. I goto Oklahoma often to visit my Girlfriends family. Her father drives a 2001 F150 with a V10, and her grandfather owns 3 Fords on his Ranch in Ada. Roughly a 1981, 88, and a 92. My girlfriend's uncle drives a 2001 F-250 diesel crew cab 4x4. We loaded up the gooseneck trailer one weekend, had over 3 cords of wood loaded in the bed and trailer, plus about 100-150 bags of feed. Just picture a longbed 4x4 F-250, with a 30 foot trailer behind it filled up to the brim. And the last leaf spring on the pickup was barely down to the conact points on the frame. With family on the inside, we drove back from Oklahoma to the McKinney area of north texas. His loaded up f-250 was hard to keep up with in our 2001 Accord. One of my friends in college has a farm in Texas, and he drove a early 90's F150. This last one was beat up, but farm work on top of a 20 year old behind the wheel you do the math. My old roomate had a leased 96ish base F150, manual v6 and all. Let's just say after the 2 or so years he owned it, the oil never got changed, the clutch was dropped many a times, and he drove that thing all over Texas(and other states, even up to Montana). After turning it in, with all that abuse, he wished he owned it still today. All trucks mentioned still run great, no matter how much abuse, milage, or neglect.

My point to make is that I don't think I am biased against buying other brands, even though I am surrounded by Fords. Our minds are not changed by a few simple recalls. When we get a letter, we just take the Ford in and have a part replaced or serviced, and go on our happy ways. Ford does take care of it's customers.

I guess it really comes down to brand loyalty. You buy a Ford Truck typically because you know someone who has one, or have one in the family. Then you will know what Built Ford Tough really means. That's why you older Ford's trucks still on the road, because they just don't die. Ford still offers the best deals on trucks. You just can't get more of a truck for such a great deal. If you're a commuter, a home depot regular, a kid hauler, or if you hook up and haul anything for the farm, you really can't go wrong with a Ford.
    The only time a vehicle is an investment is when it is a classic model. 1960s Mustangs and Camaros are an investment. Your everyday Ford Ranger and my Toyota Tacoma are not investments.
    Quit trying to impress people with your statements like "Why don't you start some investments". You are not as smart as you think you are, and others are not as dumb as you think they are.
This discussion has been closed.