Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo V50

Comments

• I, too, was looking at the V50 to replace my STI (stolen three weeks ago). However, it is nearly impossible to find an awd model and even more difficult to find one with a manual transmission, even the fwd model. My other car is a G35x, so I already have one automatic and don't need another. I am probably going to get a Legacy GT Ltd wagon instead. I have driven the manual and the car is a blast. THe interior is like no other Subaru I have ever sat in (luxurious). The problem with the Volvo is that they do not offer an attractive lease program and are difficult to option out. It is as nice or nicer than an A4 Avant, but I gave up on finding one that was optioned the way I wanted. I need a car in two weeks and cannot wait until January to get a new car. I would only consider the wagon because of the small trunk and back seat.
  • flasvtflasvt Posts: 64
    I would like to read about buying experience and prices paid. Thanks
  • If you want value for money and a reliable car, forget Volvo. Check korean/japanese/european.

Don't pay top dollar for the reliability on Lada level.

When they go, they go great. It's the other times that got me down.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,199
    by reading your other messages, i see you had a V40. Totally different animal, and, from what I've read, more Mitsubishi than Volvo.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• mg940mg940 Posts: 1
    I agree with all said that the V50's not a V40- it's much improved.

As a 945T driver, I tried a 40 at the dealership and it felt Mitsubishi-claustrophobic like its birth. I've rented 2 V50's in UK in last few months and I'm seriously headed that way when the kid inherits my 945. Its peppy and just the right size for commuting and taking the dog to the dump on Saturdays.
  • KOREAN. You would buy a Korean vehicle before another Volvo. Man. I hate you had such a bad experience. From what I have learned, that is not the norm.
  • ike3ike3 Posts: 81
    What incentives are being offered from factory to dealer for these vehicles? In central and western NY state?

This includes any dealers in northern PA, NJ, VT, NH, OH.
    Edmunds shows $500 rebate to customers who are recent graduates. They also show $1500 incentive to the dealer, but it can't be combined with the special financing currently being offered (3.9%/48 month or 4.9%/60 month).

Carsdirect is showing me a price about $1750 below invoice in Jersey.

• robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,758
    Local Boston paper showed on Sunday Free Premium Package or Free AWD on all S40/V50 T5's. May be offered all over New England.
    was that one dealership? Maybe that was their way of "sharing" the dealer cash. I wonder if you have to pay MSRP to get the free upgrade.

If I could get free premium pack AND about $1700 below invoice, I might have to go test drive one of these.

• robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,758
    was that one dealership? Maybe that was their way of "sharing" the dealer cash.

No, it had the name of all the local dealers at the bottom. It might be a deal being done by a New England dealer group. IIRC, it was good through 2/28/05.
  • ike3ike3 Posts: 81
    Which dealer in NJ? I went to the carsdirect site, entered info

and it appears to be a dead link. Code 404.

Spoke to the Syracuse NY dealer, they are primarily carrying the

V-50s in AWD, cloth seats, heated, automatics, no sunroof. I

am looking for similar configuration but in FWD only, T-5 auto.

Dealer did confirm $1500 factory to dealer incentive, but who is

to say if only part or all of it would be credited to customer? Again,

which dealer in NJ would do that $1750 below invoice? Can they make

any profit at that point?
    like i said, carsdirect gave me that price. when I put in my zip code and picked the make/model, that's what came up. That's not direct from a dealer. Try it again today, maybe it will work for you and they just had a website issue when you first tried it.

Now, mind you, I have never bought anything through carsdirect and have NO idea if it works. I have, however, printed out their price and used it in negotiations.

Profit? If they sell it to you at that price, what difference does it make? If a dealer is not happy with their margin on a vehicle, then they won't sell it to you, end of story. If you are concerned about them making a profit, then go buy at MSRP and make them happy.

• hello -

i'm a newbie to the group. i've never owned (or even driven) a volvo, but am thinking of buying one this spring. i don't drive more than 10,000

miles a year, but i want a well-made safe car, with some room, for occasional road trips. my current car is a honda civic, so almost anything will seem big to me. if anyone would like to share thoughts about the V-50, or any other volvo models, i'd be grateful.

cheers,

violetta
  • Looking to get a V50 and need some advice about a couple of issues.

I live in Nebraska - so snow and icy roads are an issue - but for only about 3 months out of the year.

I commute 125 mi a day - all interstate driving - and carry some precious cargo in the car in form of my 3 yr old daughter. Which is why we are going for the Volvo.

My question centers around the AWD system. I am thinking that I should get this - but I notice the car also have the anti-skid / traction control and a winter driving mode on the Auto trans.

I won't be driving through 6 inches of snow with it - if the schools close - I'm staying home and I have a Jeep for the really bad rides. So I'm curious for any feedback on those that have the AWD and love it - and why - as well as those that have the FWD and don't miss or think they need the AWD.

Since I drive so much, fuel economy is an issue - and the 3mpg of the FWD will add up. Although this is a safety before economy decision in the long run.

Thanks for any comments.
  • I got a manual shift for $29,750 (incl. premium pkg, conv. pkg, bi-xenon lamps, DSTC & metallic paint).
  • I live in the Seattle area and was offered this deal for a loaded V50 T-5. This seems high to me, any thoughts?

Car: 2005 V50 T-5 leather, sunroof, heated seats, automatic and power seats.

Option #1 Lease: $597 due at start, at 36 months and 12K miles per year for $467/month plus tax.

or

Option #2 Purchase: $800 over invoice for a loaded V50.

Good deal or bad deal?
    well, you should check with your zip code, but carsdirect tells me i should be able to get one for $1750 BELOW invoice.

• mrjjgittesmrjjgittes Posts: 156
    Boy, this is a dead board. I would think with gas prices up, there would be more chatter about this car, as an SUV alternative. My wife likes the V50 a lot. I do too, but once you add leather and an auto tranny, the price gets up there a bit, it seems. Are people really paying $1750 below invoice?
  • mrjjgittesmrjjgittes Posts: 156
    Sheesh, if this board is any gauge, with the interest this car gets my wife should be able to pick one up for five bucks a couple of months from now . . . with leather.
  • You should be able to get the 2005 V50 $1500 under invoice and the T5 model $1850 below... Great Wagon.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,271
    I really like this style/size of car. The Audi A3 is very interesting competition too. Too bad on the Volvo it seems hard to find a V50 stick, although they are somewhat common on the S40. Since the drivetrain is the same, you can always drive the sedan to know if the search is worth while.

I was considering upgrading from my Scion (tC) to a T-5 6 speed, but if I did, it would be to take advantage of one of volvos killer lease deals. They have had a few on the S40 base, and right now seem to be pushing the S602.4T. I don't recall seeing anything on the V50, especially the T5.

I just think this is a great package for people without large families. I have 2 kids, but it would be the second car (we have a minivan). Nice tidy size, fun to drive, good MPG, but plenty of people room and great cargo flexibility.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• handymanxhandymanx Posts: 1
    I'm jealous that you've got your 6-speed V50. I was supposed to be taking delivery of mine by now, but somehow, between the dealer and Volvo, my order, which was placed on March 17, didn't get processed. I found out 37 days after placing my order that I wasn't getting my car. The dealer tried to get me to switch to an automatic, saying it would be easier to get me a car, but I politely declined. After getting jerked around by the dealer, I went to a nearby competitor and ordered an '06 V50, scheduled to arrive sometime in July. I can't wait, and I'm glad to hear you're enjoying your car.
  • katonekatone Posts: 2
    i hesitate in between a new V50 and a used audi S4.
    I like having power in the car, feels safe.
    Can the V50 be boosted to 250HP or more?
  • i got a 05 v50 3 weeks ago (1000 miles) and the check engine light is on already?????
    what does this mean???
    :cry:
    I'm going to guess that its just a loose gas cap.
    Unfortunately, if it works the same now as it does on my '98 volvo, even after tightening the cap, the light will not go away for about 7 days unless you get it reset by the dealer, of course, making you wonder for a full week whether it really was just the gas cap that set it off. So you need to go get the code pulled and confirm.

As a volvo owner, my code reader has become my best tool. ;)

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    As qbrozen mentions, a not-fully-tightened gas cap is the most likely suspect. If that turns out not to be the case, you might want to drop by our "Check Engine" light discussion and see what the folks there think.