Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

ford f350 vs. chevy silverado 3500

modellfarmsmodellfarms Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Ford
i want to purchase a one ton dual wheel truck to pull a 40ft four horse trailer with 17foot living quarters weighing about 9600lbs without horses. the trailer people say to buy ford f350. of course, that is all you see horse people pulling with is the ford. in edmunds it says pick the truck that fits your needs and pulling a heavy load is mine. its says chevy outweighs ford and dodge when it comes to power and towing capacity. i would like any opinions in comparing 2002 chevy silv. LT 4dr crew dual wheel long bed diesel with the 2002 ford lariat super duty 4dr crew long bed dual wheel diesel. i just keep hearing bad things about chevy

look forward to any opionions.

Comments

• modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    All Ford 250 and 350 trucks are 20,000 pounds TOTAL. I THINK Chevy is 22,000.

Factor in a 10K trailer + 6K in horses + 6-7K in truck and you're over the one ton truck limits WITHOUT passengers, fuel, luggage etc.

My suggestion is Ford's F550 on up. Don't know GM's offerings for that kind of load.
  • vwracervwracer Member Posts: 90
    The next horse show you go to take a drive around the barn and look at all the other trucks that are hooked up to horse trailors and I'm sure you will see a lot more FORD trucks then you will Chevy. Thats the real survey I used when I bought my FORD truck, except I'm into race cars not race horses. It's surprising how many guys race a Chevy car and pull it with a FORD truck.
  • kg11kg11 Member Posts: 530
    that's all I got to say about that.
    kip
  • xyz71xyz71 Member Posts: 179
    Chevy did not have much to compete with Ford Superduty trucks until the new Silverado HD. I would look at both - take a long test drive and make my own decision. Why not wait until Dodge updates the 2500/3500 Ram and compare all three. The reviews on the Ram 1500 have been great. Ford may finally have some competition.
  • mullins87mullins87 Member Posts: 959
    I agree with VW. Take a cruise around the horse shows to see what everyone else is driving. The vast majority will be Fords, followed by Dodges, then a distant third will be Chevys. I'm an RV'er. Most of the larger rv's are pulled by Fords, that's how I made my decision.

'99 F-350 XLT SC DRW PSD 6-speed w/3.73 gears - 100k so far and love it!
  • v12powerv12power Member Posts: 174
    I have a '99 F350 diesel and a '01 2500HD duramax/allison. I have had far fewer problems with the 160k mile Ford than the 40k mile Chevy. Besides regardless of manufacturers ratings the Ford out pulls the Chevy. I tow max gvw loads daily with these trucks. If you need a nice car/truck the chev is quieter and more comfortable. If you intend to use it as a truck buy the Ford, it is much more HD IMO.
    You've got the Chevys figured out. They are great to run up and down the road, but you put a load in/behind one and they are not worth squat.
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    you see alot of Fords around the horse shows is the crew cab. Dodge doesn't have one and horse people need to haul lots of people too. In the past the Chevys weren't used because they didn't have anything under the hood. I'm pulling a 35' 4horse with 12' living quarters (dry weighs 8500) with a Ram. I've pulled this with 4 horses and load and it handles it. The Fords can pull that as our trainer regularly pulled a 35' 6-horse with dressing rooms and the F-350 did the job. They work pretty hard with 16K behind them, but they'll do it, especially with some select tuning. The Ford is more of a "speed" motor for folks that like to tow 12,000# at 80mph. The Cummins will chug along 65mph and get similar mpg wether it's 12,000# or 16,000#. The Ford will slow down quicker and suck more gas with the big loads. That trainer has now switched over to a Cat powered Freightliner single axle mainly in order to haul more people. Now he gets about 6mpg, but it tows it like nothing and no more totally cramped 500 mile trips.

If I had to chose between the Ford and Chevy it would be the Ford. Maybe in 5 years after you see some Chevys with 200K and the problems ironed out I'd rethink it. Just too much past info available on the Ford and Dodge to venture into unknown territory.
  • ak4x4ak4x4 Member Posts: 126
    I would buy the Dodge 3500.

I don't want to get stuck when the Allison goes out. And Ford is just that a ford. But there are alot more Fords out there. U can get an older 350 dually for around 8 grand. That might be a good solution for ya.

And you still get the same powerstroke as the new one. Talking about 94-96 model year..
    So why would you buy the Dodge? If you need the 4x4 prepare to be working on the fronts suspension and brakes. They have problems.

The Powerstrokes prior to '99 are NOT the same. The entire FI system is different as well as the power output.

The allisons have not been failing any more often that the Ford or Dodge auto trannys, probably much less.

"And Ford is just that, a Ford." That statement shows true intelligence. Glad you could give us an opinion based on facts and expereience.
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    kip
    I used to think a powerstroke was a powerstroke untill I drove a '96 model, I have a '99. I had to pop the hood just to check if the turbo was still there. Daylight and dark!!!!!
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    agree. And then try to get the thing to start during the winter. Made me buy my first cummins years back, and know I just don't like anything else even with the much improved powerstrokes. Just a different kind of power I guess.
  • bamatundrabamatundra Member Posts: 1,583
    Read the March Motor Trend. The Tundra outhauled and outbraked the Chev 1500HD. This is basically the same truck as the 3500.

Motor Trend described the brakes as "scary" when the 1500HD was only loaded with 1000lb. WIMPY!
    It does make a good grocery getter.

Can you imagine getting a duramin diesel and being limited to hauling 1000lb because of the cheap, wimpy brakes Chev crippled their "HD?" trucks with.

Get a Ford or a Dodge - you will get MUCH more truck for your money.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    "This is basically the same truck as the 3500. "

Ok this is getting ridiculous now
    The trucks we are discussing here aren't even distant cousins to the 1500HD that you seem to be preoccupied with. The trucks we drive could carry two of your "overgrown car with big tires" Tundra on their back and never once complain. I would love to put my DRW F-350 up against your Tundra anyday to see who could outbreak who, empty, with 1,000 lbs or even 3,000 lbs. Ooopps! I'm sorry, your truck wouldn't even be able to get started with that kind of load.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    ill pay to see it. Hook em up bumper to bumpper. haha
    I know that you are going to find this hard to believe but that wimpy 1500HD is just a rebadged 3/4 ton. The Chev 3500 has the SAME weak brakes as the 1500HD.

Let's face it - as long as the Chev owners keep their loads limited to a couple of bags of groceries they MAY be alright. Don't try to work them though.

I personally think that the Ford F350 is a fine truck, in fact I suggested that people buy the Ford in an earlier post. That way they will get a heavy duty truck that isn't just heavy duty in name only like the Chevs.

Any time a 1/2ton truck such as the Tundra can outperform a Chev "HD" truck when loaded with just 1000lb, you got to wonder how Chev got the nerve to call their weak trucks "HD".
  • plutoniousplutonious Member Posts: 799
    "Unfortunately, we can't tell you that our Sierra's brakes performed without a hitch, as several drivers had harrowing experiences with a thing called premature ABS activation."

"Under normal driving conditions, the truck stops confidently, and the pedal has a solid feel. But, if you try to stop suddenly, the weight transfers to the front end, and the rear end lightens up. This can lead to what I consider premature ABS activation, especially if the road surface is at all bumpy. This results in a pulsing through the pedal and a near disappearance of stopping power. Very disconcerting."

"Since we were aware of the overeager ABS system (and regularly drove the Sierra with an empty bed and cab), editors planned for it and allowed themselves plenty of space between the truck and vehicles ahead. However, the system frequently surprised us anyway by engaging in instances where it clearly wasn't needed and lengthening stopping distances."

"My exit off the San Diego Freeway (I-405) was re-paved one weekend," Senior Editor Christian Wardlaw wrote. "On Monday morning, as I descended the ramp to Santa Monica Boulevard, the Sierra traversed the spot where the fresh blacktop of the ramp met the old concrete of the service drive. A new, insignificant bump at this juncture sent the Sierra's ABS into spasms, nearly hurtling me headlong into a Toyota slowing to a stop in front of me."

"Technology Editor Scott Memmer had a similar experience: "...Coming down a grade into an intersection in Glendale, Calif., the ABS grabbed suddenly and inexplicably — and this while traveling less than 20 miles per hour!"

--------------------------------------------------

Just gotta love those wonderful 4 wheel disk brakes on those Chevys!

NOW, imagine this truck going down the exit ramp actually towing or hauling a load. Can you say DISASTER?

The ONLY big American truck I would consider buying would be a Ford with the PSD. I really think GMC has lost it, especially recently. Consider yourself lucky if you buy a new GMC that doesn't knock, shake, or have a faulty transmission. Some of the posters here have 2 or all 3 of these problems, all in one truck! Imagine having an engine that knocks, then a transmission which doesn't work, on a truck that doesn't stop.

My vote goes to the F-250 or 350 with the diesel.
    The wonderful Allison transmission is what has ME pissed off.I have to admit,I have the worst one I've heard of,but for GM to bring this product to market without having the bugs worked out is inexcusable.
    But the original ? was about F350 vs 3500HD both with diesel,and while I agree with pluto about GM's quality issues I don't think the F350 is enough truck for modelfarms' intended use.
    F450 at the minimum and for the money I'm still partial to the Freightliner.
    kip
    I don't recall modelfarm's question so I can't comment. Didn't you also say in an earlier post your truck is knocking as well and that you will take GM to court if they only offer you an upgraded warranty for that problem? I'm not trying to stir up trouble here. I don't think anybody (except for obyone!) deserves those kinds of problems after spending their hard-earned money on a truck and I sincerely hope this all works out in your favor at the end.

The only American trucks that ever impressed me were the Ford Power Stroke Diesels. If I needed a big truck, this would be the one for me, especially with the manual transmission. They seem like a good, solid truck. But no way, no how would my money ever go to GM.
    "sniff" will you guys quit picking on us "sniff" and go back to your toy "whine" forums...!!!

Pluto, YOU'RE KILLING ME!!!!!! read the ORIGINAL, FIRST, NUMERO UNO post of this topic!!! How can you not recall what modelfarm's question is??? It's what the WHOLE topic is about.

If this isn't proof that toy boys just jump in to topics to start crap.....I don'tknow what is.
    but my posts have much more to do with the topic than your little temper tantrum.
    considering you didn't even know what the topic was about!!!
    and unlike you, I didn't have to go to the "numero uno" post to figure that out...you see, if you use that little scroll bar to the right of your screen, you can scroll up and see the title of the thread...
  • jcmdiejcmdie Member Posts: 594
    Bringing the Tundra up in this topic is off topic. Bama let's not get another tudra/chevy war going and another topic shot to hell.
    you are that stubborn and self important to start an argument about something so trivial.
    Unless you storm into a topic half baked, not knowing what the subject is being discussed......actually, that would explain a lot of things. LOL!!

The author of the thread asked the original question. In other words, the topic IS the 1st post ie: original question.

I can't wait for you to start a topic and tell you that's not what you mean.
    of the thread is F350 vs. Chevy Silverado 3500. I posted information which pertains to this topic. To wit: specific information taken from reputable sources regarding the Chevy's poor braking performance. This could and should be a factor which influences a potential buyer. Perhaps your reading comprehension and reasoning skills need a little work...

I find your allegation that I jump into topics "half-baked" rather amusing. I don't "get baked" for many reasons, one of which would be losing my career.

Maybe you can enlighten us all on how braking performance shouldn't be considered when buying a pick-up, especially when it is as poor (or even downright dangerous) as the Chevy's.
    In post #22 you precisely recaped the problems I've described over the past 2 months with my GMC.I bought the 3/4 ton to tow a 7000lb boat,something any 1/2 ton v8 PU can do.I wanted a bigger engine and brakes than available in a 1/2 ton.I don't have a problem getting on the freeway OR STOPPING when I need to but as for quality,you're right and I find out tomorrow if they're buying it back without a fight.Most people LOVE the Allison AND the Duramax,but if I was buying a truck with an auto trans to tow a 16000+ lb trailer it wouldn't be a ford or chevy.The 6 spd would work for the ford and surprisingly I still like the Allison, but as I stated in post #4 medium duty is the obvious choice.
    kip
    Good luck tomorrow with the folks from GM. If they do buy it back, will you buy another truck?
    Just kidding.I don't know what I'm going to do.Nothing else on the market matches the power and comfort of GM,and I NEED an A/T cuz my left leg don't work too good.I'm too old to build my own again.Maybe F250 v10.Id feel silly driving a freightliner with 7000 lb behind it.Maybe sell the big boat and just buy a ticket on a party boat when I want to go fishing.I don't want to think about it right now.
    kip
    BTW my friends at whipple superchargers here in Fresno are working on a kit for Ford's v10 but it isn't smog certified yet and I don't know about Ford's A/T
  • hunter98hunter98 Member Posts: 273
    I am tired of this Tundra is King Debate.

Put 10,000 or 16000 lbs behind the tundra, and then behind my Duramax going down a hill without trailer brakes. Comparing apples to oranges isn't the point, and all three of the new style Sierra trucks I have had the privilege of owning would flat haul or flat shut down, with or without a trailer.

3/4 ton truck brakes are designed for durability, resistance to brake fade, heat disapation, and ability to stop heavy loads. Also, a heavier built, stiffer suspensioned truck handles a trailer better.

I love my Duramax, averaging 17.5 mpg on winter fuel driving hard. Got 12 MPG running 65-70 with 12000 lbs in tow. Can run 55-? in OD towing without any problems. Will outrun and outtow any STOCK Ford or Dodge. And has a transmission designed to hold up to the power and torque of a Diesel. I have friends who have installed multiple transmissions behind their Cummins or Powerstoke. But both are excellent engines.

Toyota aint even in the game, or in the same class, so don't try and compare again to a 1500HD, 2500, 2500HD or 3500.

Hunter
    a 4.8 Silverado or 4.6 F-150 wouldn't be in the same game or class as those trucks you mentioned. Like it or not, the Tundra is competitive when you compare apples to apples. Only a moron would compare a 4.8 Silverado, 4.6 F-150 or a 4.7 Tundra to a 1500HD, 2500, 2500HD or 3500.

But if it makes you feel better comparing oranges to apples so you can have the advantage, more power to you. I always thought those Chevy Duramax/Allisons were awfully weak compared to those Freightliners...
    Pluto you are burying yourself.

Your orginal statement, "I don't recall modelfarm's question so I can't comment" is/was ignorant. This WHOLE topic is about that question.

Your incredible/important braking performance statements have NOTHING to do with this topic. You have not once shown ANY braking performance quotes for a 2500HD or 3500. You can't compare an Allison equipped or a 6 speed manual equipped vehicle to other vehicles that aren't so equipped. I'm sure you know the manual will assist in braking and the Allison also has a feature to do so.

Get off your high horse and stop justifying your ignorant braking comments that have nothing to do with the trucks being compared here.

We all understand your disdain for the 1/2 ton GM's and even if a 1500HD shares rotor size with a 3500, there are other factors that influence the braking performance.

You can't use info gleaned from 1500's, HD or not, and use it as factual info for a 3500.

You're wrong, now get over it.
    The Silverado's brake problems were due in part to a faulty ABS system and had nothing to do with shared rotor sizes (if they are shared). It is a well known and documented fact that GMC ABS brakes IN GENERAL (meaning a broad spectrum of GMC vehicles are affected) have their share of problems, and it is entirely possible the 3500 model series suffer from "premature ABS activation" as well. Given GMC's propensity to employ "parts bin technology" it is highly likely the 3500 series trucks use the same ABS modules/sensors/electronics as do the 1500 series whose braking problems are well documented. The brake "hardware" may or may not differ between the trucks as you stated earlier; however, the hardware isn't the problem, the "software" is so your point is irrelevant. When these facts are taken into consideration, one cannot automatically preclude the 3500 series from suffering from ABS braking problems simply because Edmunds' review of their Sierra does not address this issue or because the trucks in question may or may not share common brake hardware.

I can't help to think the reason your panties are all bunched up over this is because a Toyota fan brought this fact to light. The title of this thread implies that pros and cons of the F-350 and Silverado 3500 be discussed so that a potential buyer (in this case, the original poster "modelfarm") may make an informed decision.

Why don't you contribute something informative to this discussion instead of throwing your temper tantrums?
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    Let's see...you say you know problems are due to faulty ABS, but then you don't know if the rotor sizes are shared. Then you speculate the 3500 suffers premature ABS activation. Premature ejaculation of the mouth more likely!
    I know this is confusing for you, but how would different rotor sizes fix a braking problem when the problem is caused by a faulty ABS system?

Oh, and the last time I checked, English is spoken in the United States, not Spanish. Though I must say I'm impressed! It also sounds like you know more about premature ejaculation that me...well, at least you're knowledgeable in SOMETHING...
    Gee Quad, your explanation couldn't be any more simple.

Let's see, earlier toy pick ups rusted out.....Therefore, I speculate all toys may rust. Some v6' toys blow head gaskets.......Therefore, I speculate it is a problem on all toys. There is a current sludge problem on some toy motors......Therefore, I speculate all toys are prone to this.

I get it Uranus.....er I mean pluto. GREAT LOGIC.

Your reading skills must be fading. I did contribute back at post 2....Oh, I forgot, you selectively choose what to read/understand.
    Your lack of mechanical knowledge will never cease to amaze me.

Even if the EXACT same ABS "software" is used on the 3500 as the 1500. The weight difference, tire size and a myriad of other factors could/would affect the ABS performance. Please stop, like the combo LSD/locker, you're embarrassing yourself.
    2000 Chevrolet S10, Silverado, GMC Sonoma and Sierra Trucks Recalled

Washington, DC (SafetyAlerts) - The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has published the recall of certain 2000 Chevrolet S10, Silverado, GMC Sonoma and Sierra trucks, manufactured in August 1999, because certain light duty trucks equipped with 4-wheel disc brakes, the Antilock Brake System (ABS) motor contains an out-of-specification spring clip.

This clip could allow the motor bearing to become misaligned. If misalignment occurs, eventually the ABS would be non-functional. The base brakes would remain fully functional, but the Dynamic Rear Proportioning (DRP) system, which optimizes front to rear brake balance, would become inoperative, increasing the likelihood of a crash.

This came from:

http://www.safetyalerts.com/recall/autorecall/00/055.htm

--------------------------------------------------

I'm not posting this to say the spring clip is the culprit for the Sierra's braking problems. The whole point is these vehicles share common ABS system componets and when there's a problem, many models may be affected.

This supports my statements. I'll wait while you remove your foot from your mouth.

I seem to recall a discussion we had regarding pushrod/OHV, SOHC and DOHC engines. You stated that DOHC technology is basically worthless in a pick-up without having variable valve timing and that the engine wouldn't produce any power in the lower RPM range.

You never commented on how the Toyota DOHC 4.7 creates more torque at a lower RPM than the OHV Chevy 4.8 or SOHC Ford 4.6.

Again, lack or comprehension and reading skills?
    There were NO HD2500's or the new 3500's that are part of this discussion for the 2000 model year....This is too easy.
    You'll never learn.

I will try to educate you one last time. A DOHC 4 valve motor is, by design, a high revving(7000 RPM+) motor. If it is indeed spinning those high RPM's to create high HP numbers, the low speed drivability will suffer. Hence, most high RPM, high HP 4 valve motors have some sort of variable valve or varible intake technology for respectable low end power.

The Toy 4.7 is not a high revving, high HP motor. It has respectable numbers, obviously, but no where near what it is capable of or what would be useable in a truck.(what's funny is both the 4.8 GM and 4.6 Ford Mustang have higher HP #'s, another indication the DOHC is not being utilized to its one MAIN advantage) Therefore, The DOHC 4 valve technology is not being utilized well in a 1/2 ton pick up. Basically what I've stated before. Impaired indeed!!!

Are you sure you're not from Alaska???
    "I'm sure you know the manual will assist in braking and the Allison also has a feature to do so."

So what are you going to do in a panic stop? Compression brake? Downshift? LMFAO!!!

Since the 1500HD has exactly the same wimpy brakes as the 2500 and 3500 LDs the brakes are pertinent to this discussion.

When you load 1000lb in Chev's so-called "HD"s you are driving a very dangerous vehicle. Putting a heavier engine and transmission in it will just make matters worse.

While on paper you can haul or tow more than 1000lb with Chevs wimpy trucks, you would have to have a death wish to do so.

It is ironic that a Tundra is actually more capable than Chevs HDs.

If you want a 3/4 or 1 ton truck that you can work safely - Fords and Dodges are the only game in town right now. Maybe Chev will eventually put some brakes on their trucks??
    I looked up the specs and found rotor sizes to be the same. Found no info on calipers. You or your side kick have posted no info on braking performance of the 2500HD or 3500. If it really matters to you, A chevy 3500 dually stopped in 139' from 60 compared to 134' from a Ford dually and 132' from a dodge. Hardly a worthwhile difference. The same TRUCK TREND article stated they had "multi piston" calipers on most of the wheels. Too vague for me to comment on.

Any info for a 1500HD means nothing when comparing a 2500HD or 3500 until you prove the calipers and other components are the same. (Just like your demand of proof of forged pistons, you can't have it both ways)

Like I TRIED explaining before, saying the brakes are exact just because they are GM would be the same logic that ALL toys rust, blow head gaskets or have sludge.
  • tbundertbunder Member Posts: 580
    what are you guys, 2 y.o.?

bama- to even speak of a tundra in an article relating to super-duty, hd chevy's, and ram 3500's is ludicrous. the tundra is more at home in a ranger/tacoma/s10 forum. it barely beats the ranger in gvwr ratings, and it needs helper springs to tow claimed ratings. any of these three real full-size trucks would rip it in half if hooked to one another.

pluto- you truly need to get a life. do you ACTUALLY think that the 1500hd comes out of the factory with the same exact brakes as a 3500hd truck? do you have a life outside of edmunds? seems every thread i check out, you're right there in the middle stirring trouble. do you realize how retarded you sound to these cowboys who know what the term "truck" means? you know, the guys that see a toyota truck and only see a camry with larger wheels? go call your mom for christs sakes.
  • jaijayjaijay Member Posts: 162
    Lets see, load up the Tundra with a 1000 pound capacity, make a few panic stops from highway speed, see how how fast those rotors warp!

Now back to the topic.
    We sure are making a big deal over the Chevys brakes. These are trucks, they do not stop like cars. I have not had any complaints on my 2500HDs braking. It is almost always hooked to an 8000lb trailer(empty).Loaded or unloaded I have never experienced any braking problems with the Chev, and I have a nearly identical spec Ford F350 around for comparison. I also have a Porsche I race and big beautiful Mercedes sedan, both use world famous Brembo braking systems, I know what good brakes are. My experience with the Chev and Ford is that there is no significant difference. Certainly not enough to justify the craziness here.
  • jaijayjaijay Member Posts: 162
    I agree. I have never had a problem or any doubt of the stopping capability of my brakes either. This goes for empty or under full tow with my 5th wheel trailer. Granted the trailer has electric brakes, there are often situations that the truck brakes kick in and grab long before the trailer brakes kick in.
  • jcmdiejcmdie Member Posts: 594
    This topic HAD an interesting title and subject. That was before some posters turned it into another Tundra vs. Chevy topic. I would appreciate those that feel an irresistable urge to argue about the Tundra to MOVE TO AN APPROPRIATE TOPIC.
This discussion has been closed.