Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy S10 - GMC S15 and Sonoma Accessories & Modifications

moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
edited July 2014 in Chevrolet
Anyone have the hard tonneau that is offered by Chevrolet? What do you think of it and how much are dealers charging? Are there any sources for OEM Chevrolet accessories with good prices on the internet?

Comments

• pziggypziggy Member Posts: 7
    when I was purchasing my s-10 the dealer offered me the cover for $569.00..to rich for my blood. I found a soft cover locally for $360. I am going that way.
  • pziggypziggy Member Posts: 7
    are either product worth the time and effort and are either product any good? I have the factory installed liner, but am considering changing out to one of these products and need to know the good, the bad and the ugly of them..any inputs are appreciated..thanx..
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Had a spray in liner in my Nissan and now have a drop-in with my S-10. Both line-X and rhino are good, the rhino is usally applied a little thicker. Reason I chose the srayed liner on my Nissan was that I needed rust repaired and also had a lot of scratches to my rails and it was less expensive to have liner spayed than it was for paint. The biggest complaint with drop-in liners is that they wear away paint. Kind of wondering why I even worry about the way the inside of the bed looks? Planning on keeping the factory liner that came with crew cab.
    The spray-in are said to be better because they hold loads better, will not crack, split or warp, and have a watertight seal to prevent rust and corrosion.
    I have had good experience with both drop-in and spray-in liners, they are not worth the money in benifits that they offer, but they are worth the money to me because I like my trucks more with a bed liner.
  • s102002s102002 Member Posts: 1
    I just got a new S10 and went to put a bug shield
    on it and found out there aren't any predrilled holes?
    Does anyone know of a clip on bug shield?
    If you've put a bug shield on what name brand did
    you choose?
    I couldn't be happier with my S10 so far.
  • madridjoemadridjoe Member Posts: 28
    I have used the GTO Sportguard wrap around bud shield on both my 2001 S-10 and my 95 Sonoma. I have been very happy with them.
  • rjbrucerjbruce Member Posts: 2
    We chose the Rhino over the Line-X, purely because the Rhino was rubberized. The Line-X is much like a bed liner as when you put something in the back it tends to slide all around. However, the Rhino Liner has a rubberized coating so when things are put in the back they stay put. I've had no regrets with the Rhino Liner verses a bed liner. Assuming the reason you would choose a bed liner is because it is removable, why would I be removing my bed liner?
  • janel84janel84 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know if these can be installed on an S-10 that's not 4WD? These are the loop hooks that fit in the front bumper area. The one young dealer service guy I asked didn't think so. The parts guy couldn't find a number for them. When I messed around on the Chevy site before I got my truck, it looked like they were an option.
  • torchesstorchess Member Posts: 1
    My fiance has a Rhino liner in his Z-71 and he says there is no better liner. He is in the collision repair business and knows this sort of thing inside and out. The Rhino liner is much more thick than other spray-in liners and therefore tougher. Far as the liners which are removeable, they scratch up the paint. Lift up one at the tailgate. See scratches?
    I just purchased my very first truck yesterday! It's a 1999 S-10 4X4 V-6 vortec extended cab! We will be replacing the current bedliner with the Rhino soon! I am glad to join you!
  • 1gotek1gotek Member Posts: 1
    I know a question was already posted about this before, but has anyone bought the hard, locking tonneau cover from GM? I have an S-10 crew cab with the tiny pick up bed. The only info about it I've found is in the S-10 brochure from the dealership. All I know is that a picture shows that it is foldable, consisting of 4 sections.

Has anyone had any experiences with it, good or bad? Is it hard to remove if the need arises? Has anyone used any of the other snapless covers like those roll-n-lock type covers or the Access cover with the ribs built into the cover?
  • ns_zr2ns_zr2 Member Posts: 2
    Just wanted to add, I saw on t.v. the other night that line-x is so strong that some of the walls in the pentagon are coated with it, in the event of a blast. Just thought that was interesting.
  • jklansekjklansek Member Posts: 1
    Need information about placing a donut spare tire in a 2001 chevy Blazer extreme
  • ridt00ridt00 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if 20 in rims will fit on a 2003 Extreme without rubbing or bottoming out? If so can someone recommend the tire size to fit on these wheels
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    You might try posing your question in Ask Connor at The Tire Rack topic.
  • plumleebunchplumleebunch Member Posts: 1
    Want to know which years will directly swap out for my '99 Sonoma. I have a '99 Sonoma with a bad engine & transmission. I was wondering if a 2002 S10 2.2 would directly replace it. Or which years would.
  • raymondwraymondw Member Posts: 2
    p235/30/20 will fit best tire is goodyear
  • raymondwraymondw Member Posts: 2
    need headers for a v-8 swap
  • tmac449tmac449 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 chevy S-10 2WD extended cab with 68,592 miles. It has a 2.2L 4 cylinder with Manual tranny. And from what I understand chevy's 2.2 gas millage sucks for a 4 cylinder. But the 4.3 V6 has the same gas millage and much more power. My first question is; am I right in the statement about the 2.2 vs. the 4.3. and if I am would it be worth it to replace the engine with only 68,592 miles on the clock. Or just buy a new one when this one kicks the bucket. Because I was planning on giving the truck a 3'' lift and putting larger tires on it, to give it a bigger truck look, and make it alittle easier for myself a 6' 0'' 230 lbs person to get in and out of. But with a 4cylinder, and the lack of 4WD I might not do it unless I swap the engine. Because even with the lack of 4WD the truck is very light, and do the that fact the lack of 4WD is not that detrimental. I am only in the truck $1,200 and am the owner of it. So any opinions or statements on the matter would be greatly aprisiated. Also if you could point me in the direction of a website with some stats on the 4cylinder, the v6's and the v8's for the S-10 that would be great.
  • chopper3chopper3 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2001 extreme that has 20's with a 255/35/20 and they fit fine. My truck is even lower than normal
  • chopper3chopper3 Member Posts: 2
    yes i have 20's with a 255/35/20 tire on a 2001 extreme
  • redturtleredturtle Member Posts: 1
    I have an '85 S10 with a 2.8 V6 engine. Due to a oil change screw-up my engine is now dead (oil filter was not fastened properly and blew off, causing the diagnosis of "rods knocking"). Anyway, I am looking into replacement engines, and I found that for $200 more, I can get a 4.3 liter instead of the 2.8.

Now, my question is: what difference is it going to make to my truck if I opt for the 4.3 instead of the 2.8? I have heard that the carbeurator *may* need to be replaced with a more apporopriate one for that stronger engine, that the only change will be better torque and less fuel economy, I have also heard that the 2.8 liter engines with more mileage do not hold up so well with repairs.

Does anyone have an educated answer for this quandry?

Thank you,
    Michael RedTurtle
  • kj31kj31 Member Posts: 1
    I have been trying for two days to get the flat tire off my truck....I used a 2x4 and bashed away...it wont budge. It looks like there something under the plastic cap that should come off first...This should be easy...please help. Its a 2002 s-10....factory tires and rims. Thanks!!!!
  • cgm707cgm707 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 1998 S-10 pickup and the CD player doesn't work. I was just wondering if anyone can suggest a replacement system that fits in nicely and works well?
    Thanks for any help suggested,
    Chip
  • blue88s10blue88s10 Member Posts: 2
    Get the 4.3L. It is a better engine. I was told by an ASE certified mechanic to avoid 2.8L engines. Others may have different views on this.
  • blue88s10blue88s10 Member Posts: 2
    I would look at the CD players that are a direct fit for GM dashs. Pioneer has two newer models that I know of and some old ones. Alpine made one also. Not sure what year though. You might be able to find an older model pretty cheap.
  • afal3639afal3639 Member Posts: 1
    Ridt00,

I broke my cell phone which had your number in it...Call me if you want to go to the beach on Sunday 07/24/05 @at my same number.

Andy
  • alexraalexra Member Posts: 1
    Hi there: found myself in a hole (right front) and couldn't get out... in 4x4, but right front was spining and left rear also.... the oposite wheels (where I wanted traction) were doing nothing.... what do I need to modify so that when in 4x4 mode I get traction on all 4 when I need it???

Thanks

AlexRA
  • truck_lover1truck_lover1 Member Posts: 1
    i need someone to tell me what the best site is to look at for body kits for a 92 s10.
  • irvinirvin Member Posts: 2
    Before I buy an S-10 with a 5-speed and 2.2 4cyl. are there any inherent problems with this set up?? Can I expect high gas mileage and at least 150,000 on the engine with good maintenance?? THANKS!!
  • staffanstaffan Member Posts: 1
    Is there anybody out there who knows if it is possible to fit a late model grill on a -96 Blazer ZR2
  • shindigmachineshindigmachine Member Posts: 7
    i am the fond owner of an 89 s10 with a 4.3 Z code. it's a great little truck, but i want to crank some more ponies out of the little [non-permissible content removed]. i've already hung up a high performance exhaust with no catalytic converter and dual tailpipes. now i just need some power flowing through them, so my first thought was to throw on one of the 670cfm throttle body injectors that holley offers, but i hear from very reliable sources that i'd be better off putting on a carbureted intake and getting a TBI adapter, but the thing is, i can't seem to find an adapter anywhere, i've looked through Jeg's, and Summit, and couldn't seem to come across one. so what i'm asking is if anyone HAS seen them in a high performance catalog, and maybe i'm just blind, or if anyone would know where the hell i could find one. another option is getting the edelbrock TBI intake, but i've heard that that one still doesn't breathe enough.

HELP!!! I need to figure out what to do.
    don't answer if you don't know what you're talking about for sure

starving for air,
    brad
  • 85s1085s10 Member Posts: 1
    Are you sure you don't mean the 3.4 liter engine? Cause if thats the case there is a little modification needed. I still use the 2.8 carb, with no problems. The one modification you do need is to install an electric fuel pump. When you do this, do not install it in the engine compartment (vapor lock), place it along the frame (unexposed) on the drivers side. No more vapor lock!
    definitely go for a 4.3. I mean, the 2.8 is a great motor not withstanding, a 4.3 is just all around a better motor, i have an 89 with a 4.3, and i occasionally tow cars with it using a tow dolly. but the best reason i can give you to go with a 4.3 is the fact that it's based off of the 5.7 350 V8. it's the same damn thing, but missing two cylinders in essence. but i'd say find a carbureted 4.3, but if you can't, then consider yourself lucky that your truck is carbureted, cuz you could still change over a TBI 4.3 to carbureted, which would be best because there wouldn't be a ton of fuel system mods involved, and the carbureted 4.3's breathe better. i'd suggest going with an edelbrock intake and 4BBL 500cfm carb. you'll be happy with it. I hope i've sold you on that. the 4.3 honestly is the best V6 made.
    just wait till those 20s start wearing your brakes, shocks, steering linkage and god knows what else to all hell, you'll be loving them then. word from the wise, put on some 15" magnum style wheels that actually have more than an inch of tire between the road and your overpriced, oversized wheel. trust me on this, your brakes WILL wear faster with 20" wheels, 20s are much heavier than 15s, any way you slice it, and when it's rolling down the road and it comes time for you to hit those brakes, your brakes have to work much harder to stop the 20" rim, because there is more rotating mass. and they look grotesque on trucks.
    whatever you do, don't get another 2.2, you'll be wasting your money. they're crap. throw a V6 in it. GM knows how to make a great V6, but i wouldn't trust a 4 cylinder of theirs as far as i could juggle it. bite the bullet and find a W code 4.3
  • autoguy2autoguy2 Member Posts: 5
    Go for the v-6 , better resale value & you can pull a heavier load & close to same mileage .HTH
  • medic17medic17 Member Posts: 1
    Just curious as to how many modifications are needed to install a rear swing out tire carrier on a '95 4dr Blazer and approximate time for the install. I have purchased a recycled carrier off of a '96 Blazer and have some of the parts, but need to find the strike plate and a couple extra bolts.
  • dennist1dennist1 Member Posts: 2
    OLD Indian Trick:

put the lugnuts on and leave them loose about one turn

drive slowly around the block

stop and check if the rim has come loose

if it hasnt; drive around the block again

repeat till it comes loose

this will work for axles and brake drums too.
  • dennist1dennist1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a '94 S-10 pickup and wish to put a '98 one piece bumper on it.
    It looks like I can remove the plastic corners and the short bumper and replace it with the
    long one piece newer bumper, brackets and all. Anyone have any experience?
    there was no 3.4 in 85. at least not a chevy motor. maybe a pontiac or buick or caddy, but no chevy 3.4 v6 was available in those days. the 3.4 didn't rear it's ugly head until the early 90s.
    you will need a stronger carburetor. if I was in your situation, i'd crown the engine with an aluminum edelbrock intake and a 500 cfm edelbrock 4 barrel carb. it'll be real quick on its own, and it'll pull all day. it may sound like going a little overboard, but trust me, the 4.3's run very lean. with that setup, you'd prolly get 17 city/ 20 highway.
  • sboxguy20sboxguy20 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 92 s10 tbi what do i need to convert to carburated....
  • 98reds1098reds10 Member Posts: 1
    go with teh 4.3 they are amazing engines and have balls
  • jderechjderech Member Posts: 2
    i have an 89 blazer s10 31 mud country tires an 3 in body lift blew the 2.8 an the kit to go to a 350 too much$ can i put the 4.3 in its place as long as it came out of a 5 speed truck the same as mine it has the borg warner t5
  • jderechjderech Member Posts: 2
    what about the bell housig will the 4.3 line up to the t5 tranny
  • s10cw6s10cw6 Member Posts: 1
    I've got a 1994 S-10 with a 4.3L V6, the trucks in awesome condition, and its got balls too. I am looking to do some mod's to it but i want to keep it very street looking, none of the rice crap. I have a full custom exhaust, and put a nice set of wheels on it, but does anyone have any ideas for the engine, interior, or exterior?
  • mattv1mattv1 Member Posts: 12
    I am taking out the 2.5 and dropping in either a 305 or 350. what all do I need to do to get it to fit and run right. Can I use stock trans and rear end for now. Should I go carburated or fuel injection
  • jckdnls1975jckdnls1975 Member Posts: 1
    I would love to take my S-10 Mudding, but I need to lift it to fit 31x10.5 wheels under it. How high would I need to lift it and what type of rims would be able to support the ruggedness of mudding? Also, what brand of lift kits are reliable? Which would be better for mudding, and a body or chassis lift? Thanks.
  • lbladeslblades Member Posts: 10
    Ok I have had my s10 lowered for about 4 years now! Im having some problems and wanted to know if everyone has the same problems!

Ok well when I dropped it I used springs and blocks, 4" drop! I put new rims and toyo directional tires on it! Well I had to have the transmission rebuilt because they said the drop put too much strain on my transmission and they say that it will always shift hard in second no matter what I do simply because it is lowered! Its not really that bad but its not great either!

Also now I have noticed that the inside of my front tires are wearing fast where the rest of the tires are still perfect! My husband screwed my rims on too tight one time and it bent my rims very slightly so they are saying its because of the rims and because it is dropped that if I want to keep a set of tires I need to raise it back up, but obviously I dont want to do that!! And the rims were expensive and I like them so I really dont want to replace them! But they are giving me crap saying that it is just unsafe! Hell Its been like this for 4 years, never a problem, if I have to change the tires every other year, oh well! And noone wants to do an alignment for me since it is dropped, not that the alignment is bad its just that it seems like I have a lot of pressure on the inner tire, where it would obviously be a lot better if it were evenly distributed!

Anyone else have any problems like this!
  • lbladeslblades Member Posts: 10
    I have a 98 s10 2.2 but it is automatic! The only problem I had was with the transmission it was slipping in second! That was at about 100000 miles (but mine is also lowered which they said promoted the problem) But I LOVE my truck! Its relatively easy to work on! and gets great gas mileage! My truck will last forever with just simple maintenance! They are great trucks!
  • offroad21offroad21 Member Posts: 1
    I have a Chevy S10 ZR2 model. I would like to lift my truck so that I can put 33" tires on instead of the stock 31". Anybody have recomendations for what type of lift, I would prefer a suspension lift over a body lift, but all suggestions are welcome!
This discussion has been closed.