Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy S10 - GMC S15 and Sonoma Accessories & Modifications

Comments

• volcomstonevolcomstone Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 chevy s-10 that has 7 inches of lift on it. Ever since it has been lifted it has been eating ball joints. I was looking on the net the other day and i saw a lower control arm kit for a three inch supension lift. I was wondering if i put the extended lower control arm on the truck would it take care of the angle issues and take care of my ball joint problem? My only issue with this is i have a fabtech lift and the lower control arm is not made by fabtech so would it work in conjunction with my fabtech lift. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
  • jettech03jettech03 Member Posts: 1
    for the convert you can't use the 2.5 tranny, a 350 turbo or anything that will match with a v-8 and the rear end depends what is the ratio on it . and i know jegs have a convert kit that will let it slide right in with out to much modding just beat the fire wall and trim the pinch weld by the fire wall and carb is the best way to go for but its your choice its cheaper than fuel injected.
  • james41james41 Member Posts: 1
    The first thing My driving instructor in the Army told me was that the only thing four wheel drive was good for was getting stuck somewhere that you would not go had you not had it. You've made the right choice with 2WD and should'nt need the hooks anyway. Since most of the time a vehicke needs to be pulled backward from which it is mired a frame-mount tow hitch serves doubble duty with the proper accy's.
  • louieflouief Member Posts: 2
    just ordered pace-edwards bed cover,anyone who has removed rails from top of bed?
  • louieflouief Member Posts: 2
    read your post on bed cover, i just ordered cover for zr5. did your truck have bed rails? if so,did you have to modify?
  • mikeda1mikeda1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 93 S10 4x4 with a mild V8. This is a working truck/daily driver. It has the stock suspension and I have an offer to buy a 95 ZR2 rear axle. A front sway bar (35mm) and rear leaf springs off a 2003 S10 4x4 ZR5(?) crew cab for a good price. I know the ZR2 will extend 2 inches beyond each wheel well and I'll have to change the axle ratio to match my front drive. But other than that will these parts bolt up? Thanx.
  • dopydogdopydog Member Posts: 4
    go to cardomain.com there click on s10 you will find alot of ideas. roger
  • robocop98robocop98 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 4.3 & i want to install a autometer 5" tach
    on the dash. where do I get the inward pulse to the tach.
    some one told me that the wire is by the coil. then another
    person told me no that would burn my tach up----he said it is on the ECM. I just need a real anwser I dont want to burn up a $150 tach or the ECM .........HELP!!!
  • s10draggers10dragger Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1986 2.5 S-10 fuel injected. It's blown, and I can't find one anywhere in a junkyard. Does anyone know any motors that would be interchangable?.....Please help this motor problems holding up the whole trucks completion.
    Thanks
  • damomastsdamomasts Member Posts: 4
    Hi, 1993 S10 2.8 Ext Cab. Recently purchased. The driver and passenger seats fold forward without having to operate the levers. They sit upright when someone is sitting in them but do not lock securely into position. Is this a design flaw or has something been disengaged?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Damo
  • asstromanasstroman Member Posts: 2
    does any one know how to unlock a gm stereo
  • damomastsdamomasts Member Posts: 4
    I need to put in new front seats to my 1993 s10 ext cab. I can't get any replacements for this model, are there any other vehicles ([non-permissible content removed]/European) that have similar seat frames? I am really stuck here any help would be great.
    Thanks
    Damo
  • anonymous4anonymous4 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 94 S-10, 4 cyl, standard cab. Its in really good condition, but it is too slow. I was wondering what is the best way to get some more pickup quickly and for not a lot of money (preferably). But please post all suggestions.
  • jnealjneal Member Posts: 247
    Remember the old question "Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?"
    Performance isn't cheap, especially when you are starting with the engine you have.
    My preference would be to swap in a sb Chevy V8. Not inexpensive but probably the most bang for your buck.
  • hoodlatchhoodlatch Member Posts: 255
    I have a 92 with the 4.3. I put an electric fan on mine. It makes a noticeable difference on getty-up. I went to a junk yard and got the fan off a celebrity, the relay and wiring off a corsica. I made some brackets from 16ga strap. I bought the thermostat, over-ride rocker switch, idiot light, and inline fuse holders from the parts store. All total I have less than $100 in it. It works super with no regrets. However, I don't use mine for heavy towing or hauling. If I were I probably wouldn't have switched it over.
  • tgun275tgun275 Member Posts: 7
    Iv got a 1994 sonoma 2WD and always wanted a truck a tad bit bigger, so my plan was giving it a 3'lift and getting 4wd put in, but iv been told its not likely i can get 4Wd installed. If i can, whats the price range for putting 4wd into a 94' sonoma? thanks
  • themcdealthemcdeal Member Posts: 2
    What kind of tranny/driveshaft, etc. mods will need to be done in swapping the 2.2 for the 4.3? Got any links for more in depth information? Thanks
  • rbhopperbhoppe Member Posts: 1
    I purchase an 1993 s10 2wd with 10,000 miles from a family friend. I would like to add new wider wheels and tires. I kind of like corvette wheels and tires will they fit?
  • tgun275tgun275 Member Posts: 7
    Well a Corvette is a car with car Tires, you have a truck so you would need Truck tires. So no it wont work
  • pecholspechols Member Posts: 2
    Bought my son a 1995 S10 4wd pickup that has a lift kit. The shifter hits the dash when you shift. Does anyone know if someone sells a rear transmission support bar that will lower the back of the transmission slightly.
  • damurfdamurf Member Posts: 1
    I currently have a 88 chevy s-10 that my parents helped me purchase while in High school. To make a long story short, I'm looking at replacing or would like to throw a 350 small block in there. I already know there will be a tremendous amount of modifications and quite expensive but all I get from folks is it's impossible!!! Well, I know it's not because I've seen it done. I've wanted this for quite some time and feel it can be done w/ the proper assistance. I want to get the vehicle running properly before I start the cosmetics. Any advice on a reliable engine...transmission...rear end and how would you get started?

Damurf
  • jnealjneal Member Posts: 247
    Google v8s-10 or some combination thereof....there are several manufacturers out there that make kits for just this swap.
  • jae5jae5 Member Posts: 1,206
    rb,

Check out SLP Engineering. They have wheels & wheel/tire combos that will fit. I was thinking of getting a set of the 5 spokes like those from the Camaro SS, which were used on the Corvette. SLP has a set similar to these for the S10/Sonomas. The Corvette/Camaro wheel may work, but not sure of the backspacing as well as the center opening for the wheel bearing (front). Check them out, also Discount Tire. The bolt pattern diameter should be the same, like 4-3/4".

As for having to have truck tires since you have a truck, as mentioned in the other response, that's BS. I have a 99 S10 with ZQ8 suspension. The wheels are the same as those used on the 3rd Gen Z28s (5 spoke, the center cap is slightly different, it's flat with the bow-tie emblem) and the tires are 235/55TR16 Eagle GAs, from the factory. And no tgun275, "T" doesn't mean "Truck". These were also used on the Sonomas with the ZQ8 option. When it was time for replacement I picked up a set of 245/50 Yokohamas, keeping the overall height pretty much the same as with the 235/55. Hell, one winter I switched off the tires on my 66 SS and put on the truck (those GAs wouldn't have gotten me through as they were wearing in the rear) and they bolted right up (15 x 7 wheel, 245/60 T/A tire). Your main concerns are backspacing, width, bolt pattern, overall height of the tire/wheel package, and $$$. I believe you can go up to as much as an 18 without too much trouble except the sidewall will be really thin, like a 40-series profile.

Good luck.
  • dravendraven Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2.8 chevy motor with fuel injection and I want to put a carberator on it, how do i do that?
  • twellmantwellman Member Posts: 3
    I just picked up a 93 sonoma w/4.3 V6. The digital dash doesn't seem to work. The warning lights work, but the tach, speedo, oil pressure, gas gage don't. Checked fuses, they're OK. Where to look?
  • pecholspechols Member Posts: 2
  • whosyourwookiewhosyourwookie Member Posts: 1
    I don't know of any supports that are manufactured for this situation. How high is your lift? You may be better off trying to replace the shifter. That may be even easier than trying to locate or make your own bar (which can be done. Either by you or a company or friend that knows how to fabricate one to the correct specs. You may find one with 45 degree bend towards the rear that will ollow the shifter do fully move forward without hitting the dash. If you can't find something like this you may be able to remove the shifter and heat it with an torch and bend it yourself o(or someone with an oxy/acy set-up. I hope this helps. Good luck.
  • s15tanks15tank Member Posts: 3
    I just got a 1990 GMC s15 given to me and I love this truck, I need some input from some people pertaining to my idea of converting it to a tank.
    Me and a few buddies came up with this crazy idea of painting it with Rhino liner insted of paint, all black with chrome grill, bumpers, black 5 spoke rims low pro's with chrome dishes. I personally think it would look pretty crazy, what does everyone think?
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    jagsthatrun.com has the conversion information.
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    Go to your local supermarket or bookstore and check out the magazine section. There are usually several magazines that feature modifications and upgrades to pick up trucks. The back sections of the magazines provide information about the companies that do the modifications or parts. Good luck.
  • whitetrashwhitetrash Member Posts: 1
    I have a 94 s10 2wd. I just bought a set of rims from a 78 trans-am and they bolt up fine and look great.
    Sounds cool, however, don't you think all the chrome will clash with the black Rhino liner? :)
  • stuartmaystuartmay Member Posts: 2
    i have an 88 s-15 with the 4.3, honestly if u wanna get more power when u lift the trcuk just buy the 350 conversion kit, the motor mounts are about 50$ and u can find a cheap 350, but the 4.3 gets good milage for its size and its got a good amount of power, also you can get a crate 4.3 for around 1000$ so its a relatively cheap motor
  • stuartmaystuartmay Member Posts: 2
    as for ther tach. one wire goes to ur + battery terminal, one to ur negative distributor cable, one to ur lights and one to ground, its a 10 minute installation
  • kid_a_holekid_a_hole Member Posts: 2
  • kid_a_holekid_a_hole Member Posts: 2
    I'm currently looking at getting a used pick-up to haul my dirt bikes around. I'm sold on either the Sonoma or S-10. I want an extended cab version. I'm wondering how long the beds are on these vehicles? Anyone? Thanks in advance.
  • bosco57bosco57 Member Posts: 2
  • bosco57bosco57 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 s-10 4x4 LS. I like the look and stance of the ZR2package. I am wanting to know what I would have to do to my stock S-10 to give it the look and function of the Zr2 package. Thank you.
    it's been over a year since I threw up the post on how I was gunna paint my truck, and I did it. The truck looks great. theres some pics up on facebook.com under the group called broken down trucks. check it out! :shades:
    I say follow your dream! Keep on trucking. :shades:
  • tim67tim67 Member Posts: 1
    Does any one know of a site where i can find complaints about toyota drop in bed liners???
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Not sure how you made it to the GM S-trucks forum, but you can head over to Toyota Tacoma Bed Size/Liner/Cover Questions.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • giligangiligan Member Posts: 1
    Greetings. with the rising fuel costs, the poor mileage that i get from my '00 ZR2 (Sonoma High Rider) has really been a focus of my attention.

i typically get only 15-17 MPG. knowing that the Blazer equivalent can get as high as 22 MPG, my questions is: has anyone switched the gearing on a ZR2 with a Blazer? Both vehicles have the 4.3 liter V6, yet one does considerably better on mileage...leads me to believe it's a gearing issue.
  • xwizofozxwizofoz Member Posts: 3
    I want to change the 14 inch, 5 lug (4 3/4 ) rims on my 2 wheel drive S10 to used 15X7 rims. I am getting conflicting info regarding the ability to use 4X4 rims. Several places said the 4X4 rims would work while others say they won't work. Need some direction here. Also, am wanting to put the 1998 - 2002 aluminum 5 slot rims on it - will that work?
  • mjohnson2004mjohnson2004 Member Posts: 1
    I am wondering if any of the applications available for the vortec motors will match up with the earlier S15 4.3?
  • sonomanicksonomanick Member Posts: 2
    Im preparing to do a rear brake conversion on my 1994 sonoma, I just wanted to get some info from someone who has previously done this and see what the nominal cost is.
  • sonomanicksonomanick Member Posts: 2
  • mdawg25mdawg25 Member Posts: 23
    Damo
    I'm not sure how similar the interiors are, but the Izuzu pickup is almost identical to the S10 (they were both made by Izuzu).
  • the_big_althe_big_al Member Posts: 1,079
    First off -- nothing against dropped trucks with rims on them and the like, but the truck was not designed to be like that...

So having said that it is no surprise that the truck is having problems like the trannie and the tires. I know you like your look, but unless you really like paying for tires, than you might do well to raise the truck back up. I'm not surprised that you can't find anyone to align it for you, but at the same time since the suspension has been modified, it will be very difficult to keep it aligned properly.

Basically - when you lowered your truck you screwed yourself as it was never designed to to do that it the first place. Sure you might think it looks cool and might be good for trucks that are only in shows, but it's definatley not practical for everyday driving and everyday use...
This discussion has been closed.