Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW Touareg SUV

Comments

• nwrollernwroller Member Posts: 24
    1) VWGUILD - If I am looking for the following, is this something that VW dealers should be able to find in the area, or is this something that I would need to special order?

V6, sound system I, bi-xenon headlights, Premium package (off-road gray w/ black)

2) I have been offered the following:

V6, sound system I, Premium Package 37k

V6 sound system I, Premium Package, bi-xenon 37.5k (though dealer did not know if he could find one).

Do these seem like good prices? Or should I try to get it a little lower.

Thanks all.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    In 1999 I bought a car off the lot. Of the past 25 cars my wife and I have had, that is the only one we bought off the lot. We planned to keep the car 6 months, so we got a 12 month lease on it while we waited for our new 4.2 V8 equipped Audi to be built and delivered.

I can tell by looking at my VW and Audi dealerships that inventories are UP -- but there is nothing as sweet as ordering the car EXACTLY the way you want it about 3 - 5 months ahead of time. It is like getting a new car TWICE and the anticipation of the order's arrival is also exquisite.

Take the plunge, order EXACTLY what you want -- and if what you want actually is already here and the dealer can get it for you -- so much the better (unless you want to enjoy the countdown).
  • thor8thor8 Member Posts: 303
    One thing that should be revised is the electric locks in VAG products.
    I have a Porsche, since it is only a play car it seats in the carport for months at the time and sometimes the battery goes dead.
    Is a pain because first I have to go to the fuse panel by the footwell and connect the jumper cable to open the hood, maybe the Touareg is the same way, it has a special prong you pull out of the fuse box and connect the +.
  • chulsoochulsoo Member Posts: 11
    Just last week I picked up a brand new V6 Touareg here in Atlanta. The car was blue with Premium Package II and navigation. I think I got a very good deal at invoice price. Having bought several cars before from Jim Ellis I was glad they treated me like a good customer. They had several colors to choose from but in the end the Blue seemed the nicest.
  • vwtregvwtreg Member Posts: 2
    what is the best way to get vwoa to trade out my treg V8

please help
  • bulsarabulsara Member Posts: 21
    Thanks VW Guild for your answer, but is the Moonsoon Premium Sound System in the T-Reg made by Blaupunkt?

I still need to know, if anyone succesfully added on a 6 CD changer in the compartment and hooked directly to their "CD Changer ready" harness/connector...and what brand/model no. they used etc...

Thanks to all,
    Does anyone have any pointers/experience, for locating a cellphone holder (Siemens S46), on a convenient dash area. I saw the Kuda German mount, but it needs the CD Radio or Nav system to be removed and then put back...to much hassle and risk. This is the one Jutta K. uses in the Paris-Dakar Rally video T-Reg.

Also, SURPRISE!...there is no cell phone antenna on the T-Reg and so does anyone, have any experience with an external mounted antenna, without making holes, snaking thro' cable and connecting to cell mount holder's connector.

Thanks y'all!
  • nwrollernwroller Member Posts: 24
    Some of you may already know about this site, but i found it yesterday while surfing. I dont know how accurate it is, but it might be able to answer questions some of you have.

http://www.touaregfaq.com
  • vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    Monsoon is a brand name; so this is not a Monsoon System...Changer installation should be plug & play...Panasonic or anything that will fit in the space provided...
    Dear VW Guild...it is not that simple.

It seems that VW, have built "PIKs" into their systems, so that it recognizes non OEM addon systems. I have seen considerable e-mails on another site. Also, there has to be a direct connecting 13-pin plug, for the harness in that compartment...or an adapter some of which cost as much as $75.

Also, I hear Monsoon is a brand-name but since you stated it was a Blaupunkt...is it a sub-brand of Blaupunkt or a new OEM manufacturer, was what I was trying to determine....in case they sell the add-on units at a lower than $600 price VW want.

Anyone knowing all this should write and clear up.

Thanks y'all!
  • bigeddybigeddy Member Posts: 181
    pablop: "In one month, I've seen two Touaregs on the road in a wide area. But in my suburban town, I see another new Volvo XC-90 every day. It seems like there's one on every block now."

In my area out west that was true until about a month ago when Touaregs started to appear on the streets. I saw 3 different Touaregs the other day.

pablop: "Volvo must be giving some incentives to move them, and doing a good job of advertising safety. My well-respected and well-established independent Swedish car mechanic advised me to get the VW, even though he knew I would take the Volvo to him for service. Says the larger platform late model Volvos have been troublesome."

Modern Volvos based on the P2 platform are reasonably reliable considering how complex they are. Certainly as good as VW if that is saying much. ;) The XC90 has the advantage of a year on the Touareg. Most XC90's have been sold at MSRP which says something for their demand. At least the overseas delivery is now discounted.

I haven't seen much advertising for the XC90 (unlike the barrage of Touareg commercials) but it certainly raked in the awards and has gotten good press which helps, plus Volvo's solid reputation for safety. The XC90 also hit the streets right after the big writeups about SUV safety and it answers the concerns of many growing families. It seems like every other couple we know is having children! The Touareg is probably as safe except in rollovers but appeals to a somewhat different market.
  • gibogibo Member Posts: 22
    After weeks of test driving it's down to either the FX45 or V8 Touareg. I'm favoring the VW but I'm way too scared to hand over that much money for a VW. I have the feeling that I'll either be living at the Service Center or just putting up with a bunch of faults as they arise. I've never owned a VW but everyone I've known with one has had major problems. It's a great car and if it works I'll be more than thrilled. So... you current VW owners... Should I risk it?
  • jamaltibuijamaltibui Member Posts: 2
    i have driven both and well they are totally different cars. buy the vw if you like the interior style, its larger, and the trunk is larger, it even feels larger and heavier.
    the fx is a sports car, those wide tires and low ride makes it so fast, it has less room in back and interior is a bit tight compared to the vw. styling is way different inside also. no wood, very simple no german touches,
    take the one you really like more. not which one your scared of.
    read as much as you can about them both.
    http://www.autosupermart.com/shop/news/PR/2003infinitifx45.html
    A VW 6 Disc Changer in my store is $495.00, installed...thru Fleet...and for a car customer...I have no idea what the Parts Dept. charges if you just walk in unidentified and without the Salesperson...

The Monsoon System in the other VW carlines is a Delco/Bose product...
    Your sentence structure regarding Volvo/Touaregs and awards is a bit obtuse.

It is, in fact, the Touareg that has won every major award for an SUV for 2004...Motor Trend, 4X4/OffRoad, Car and Driver, etc. Not the Volvo XC90.

Additionally, I am anxiously awaiting crash tests on the Touareg...I really believe the results will raise the bar in this category...
  • bigeddybigeddy Member Posts: 181
    vwguild: "It is, in fact, the Touareg that has won every major award for an SUV for 2004...Motor Trend, 4X4/OffRoad, Car and Driver, etc. Not the Volvo XC90."

The XC90 dominated in 2003 when it was new and the Touareg has done well in 2004. One award the XC90 defended was this year's Northwest Automotive Press Association Mudfest which included the Touareg and Cayenne. All fine vehicles with some different strengths.
  • aaaedgarpoeaaaedgarpoe Member Posts: 107
    1. I was told on Jan 5th the 6-cyc goes up $1000 and the 8-cyc goes up $1900.

2. My dealership, in Southern California, does not have any White T-regs at this time -- they say VW ships them mainly black and reed-green.

3. Dealer said differential-locks only good for steep hills and extreme off-road. I said the VW web site says its good for rail and snow. They continued with their line of steep hills, etc.

4. Dealer said the Hummer rolled-over before a T-reg did. I ased to see the documentation. Told they did not have it.

5. Dealer had to slam the rear hatch 4 times to get the light off on the dash saying it open.

6. Dealer said T-reg is a 'hot' car right now.

7. Dealer said one can sit on the door and the door will close perfectly -- indicating how well its built.

8. When I test drove it (its a 6-cyc), just one little tap on the gas, and it jerked forward quite a bit.

9. While test driving there was a very dirtracting rattle. Dealer said it was the leather seats. I said it sound like it comming from the dash. Dealer seems to pretend not to hear my question.

10. Asked to see the owners manual. They said its sealed and only open it when you buy.

11. Asked what filtration level the in-cabin pollen air filter is. They said they do not know.

12. Asked how much to replace the in-cabin air filter. They said $90.

13. Kept asking me for my home phone number. I kept saying email is the best way to contact me.

14. Seemed hard to see little cars on my left hand side in the right side view mirror.

15. Road noise and vibration is about the same as my 1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. I do not recall if I was in an air-ride T-reg.

16. Acceleration on the 6-cyc I drove was very satisfying.
  • sacstate1sacstate1 Member Posts: 189
    "Should I risk it?"

No!
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    This board seems to have taken a turn toward the critical -- which certainly is not forbidden.

However, it is my impression that the Town Hall "used" to be for the FANS of a given marquis.

I am a fan of most things VW and Audi -- not all things. And, I suppose I could regail y'all with a few horror stories (some of them personal) that have happened to me in the course of almost 30 VW+Audi products, since 1977.

Nothing is perfect -- but, how about some more posts from some people who have "nuttin'but love" for VW's for a change?

Of course, this apparent growing trend is NOT limited to VW -- but with all due respect to the "numbers" issues VWGUILD discusses -- it seems the very first thing VW should do is include all maintenance in the warranty (and do that NOW); while simultaneously working on the QC over in der Fatherland.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    However, it is my impression that the Town Hall "used" to be for the FANS of a given marquis

These forums are "discussion" forums, where the good, the bad & the ugly are discussed.

Bob
  • dwpcdwpc Member Posts: 159
    The rear diff lock is most useful off-road, but may be useful in any situation where both front and rear have poor traction; e.g. ice or packed snow on a slope. Electronically controlled AWD drive can be fooled, and will just sit there with the engine at 2000 RPM, and no wheels moving no matter what you do. With locked center and rear diffs, both rear wheels HAVE to turn, and will hopefully claw their way out. For $500, the rear locker is a relative bargain compared to the other gee-whiz stuff on T-reg.
  • profvhprofvh Member Posts: 31
    Since gibo asked the question, I guess I can
    venture an opinion. Go for the T-reg. Nissan
    apparently felt to sell their product they had
    to come out with an "in your face" style. So
    far, they are selling their SUV. I can't for
    the life of me understand how anyone can buy or
    drive anything so blasted ugly. It reminds me
    of a oversized go-cart with huge wheels. To me
    the T-reg has class, especially inside.

In terms of reliability, I can't help but think
    the complainers or people who think VW makes a
    sloppy product are often the victim of a poor
    dealer. My 2002 Passat wagon has 25,000 trouble-
    free miles (except for 1 headlight). My dealer'
    service department is excellent here in Houston.
    I make a oil, lube, filter appt and I am in and
    out in short order. I needed help in installing
    a fancy new European made baby seat in the back.
    I went in and the service writer and l mechanic
    had it installed and I was on my way in 5 minutes.
    I have heard from others that their service is
    top notch. VOA's main problem in the US is that
    some dealers are not up to snuff. To the T-reg
    looker, check first into the dealer and find a
    good one and buy the T-reg. I may get one myself.
    My car is finished out so much better than the 5
    Accords have owned over the years, I find it hard
    to believe that everything under the skin is crap
    as a few writers seem to think.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    I've only seen one T-Reg on the road. It is absolutely the BEST looking SUV out there (My previous fav was the FX).

The pictures definitely do not do it justice. I'm not in the market to purchase another vehicle for another 2 years, so I haven't driven it. But on appearance alone it does everything right.

CLASSY
  • spockcatspockcat Member Posts: 100
    You can actually install a hard drive based portable MP3 player for much less than the cost of the dealer installed CD changer. For the standard radio, Blitzsafe makes an item that connects the MP3 player to the radio. For the navigation radio, there are two different auxiliary inputs which can be used. I can tell you where you can get the required cable for those if you email me. The dealers do not have those cables.
    Ok Guys and ladies...here's one for the T-Reg.

I test drove both those cars and my topline opinion is:

The FX-45 is ugly looking, has tight seating in front (I am 6ft tall) and back, has very poor driver visibility outside the vehicle. It just does not have that roomy, open, feeling of a true SUV on the inside. It does have great accceleration and drives more like a spots car instead of an SUV. It would suck a big lemon against the T-Reg, on any offroad or limited offroad use.

The Volvo XC-90 I drove, was rather stiff and had very poor acceleration. It is more like a schoolmarm or soccer Mom's car. It is cumbersome around country road bends/turns and not as nimble as the T-Reg. It can seat more - upto 7, with the third row seat, if that's what you need, but even the hauling space in the back, is pretty limited.

Yes, I just love driving my T-Reg...it did give me a few pangs of fear and doubt, in the beginnning, with the tire sensors and fuse blowouts, but it is settling in beautifully. It drives like a dream over highway, pavement, rough roads, railtracks, crossings. Even my V-6 has great accel./pickup normally - better still in S mode. The Tiptronic is great to upshift/downshift easily. As a cityslicker, I doubt I will ever use the locking diffs in Dallas...but who knows if I get invited to BBQ at the ranch in Crawford, TX...may need it. It is spacious, looks great, has great 360 Degree driver visibility. It has great trunk space, easily accessed from hatch door or glass during Christmas shopping. It's the Blue Silver with gray leather and attracts a lot of looks and comments on and off road from Hummer, Range Rover, FX-45 owners and car fans...even professional executive women types ooh and aaah over it - although that's not the reason I got it.

Yes, there a few still things that still boggle my mind, about opening and closing the back hatch and doors. The seat belt chime that mindlessly sounds, while you are parked with the engine running. Key fob remote with a mind of it's own...but now I chin it up in the mall parking lot and let people think I'm nuts.
    Maybe I am...I love my Touareg!

Cy
  • gibogibo Member Posts: 22
    That's what I've seen. VW owners love their cars so much that they don't mind that it doesn't behave perfectly. Friends tell me how great their VW is even when it has been in the shop four times in the past six months. It's GOTTA be a great product then, right? But for $46k I don't want to see a warning light or hear a beeping sound. Nothing had better rattle or buzz or not respond immediately.
    As for looks, I think the FX is much much prettier. But I don't buy a car for the exterior, so who cares.
    Anyone pleased/displeased with the navigation?
  • trc4949trc4949 Member Posts: 1
    Is it true that 'the car makes the man' ?

If I buy a t-reg, will women like me and perceive me much more and in a better light than they do with me currently driving a 1998 dodge stratus?

will a woman stay with me forever because I own this car?

I have heard women like to feel comforted etc. , seems like the t-reg is the perfect ticket...?

comments?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    No, they will not. Women and edmunds.com hosts do not like people who troll and veer off topic with silly questions regardless of their vehicle choice. Stick to the topic and find the answers to your personal problems elsewhere.

tidester, host
  • rhinobetsyrhinobetsy Member Posts: 10
    My wife and I just bought a new Touareg yesterday!

Shadow blue, V6, Premium Pkg II, Xenon headlights, Nav pkg. We offered $500 over invoice and settled for $1,300 over, so it was $2,300 off of sticker. We probably could have done better if we'd waited until the 31st, but they had the car we wanted (except we got tan leather instead of preferred dark leather). We are pleased.

We're thrilled with the car. I'm sure there will be quirks that come out that we can complain about, but for now it's all about the love. Seems tight, corners well, nice pickup (though I wish we could have afforded the V8!!!)

So, for markcincinnati, no negatives today. Will check back in as we drive our car and give feedback from both of us (so you get the male and female perspectives).

Rhino

BTW: GEICO doesn't seem to have this car in their records. It took my wife nearly an hour on the phone w/ them. Ended up w/ a very favorable rate ($84/pmt more than our Mazda 626), but we had to describe EVERYTHING to them even after we gave the VIN).
    Hi Rhinobetsy & Others:

Can we all compare our insurance costs per month and by company and options? I know there are many other variables, like levels of coverage and residence zip codes etc... but are we paying a lot more or less than other comparable SUVs?

I pay around $106 a month with State Farm in Dallas.

Cy
  • s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    There are WAY too many variables, with age, zip code, martial status, driving record, longevity discounts, liability limits, deductables, options, sex, number of vehicles insured and on and on. Even within Dallas, there would be different rates depending on neighborhood and how far you commute.
    Any comparison would be completely useless. You can call around to your agent and other companies to see if you can get a better rate or to see what the rate would be if you chose a different vehicle.
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    What would be useful is to hear how your insurance changed when you got your new car and what your old car was. I know I was shocked when I got a new Lexus and the insurance went down compared to an older non Lexus and the agent said that the antitheft and safety of the Lexus were the reasons. (Don't know if that was accurate but that is what he said.)
  • dlastoriadlastoria Member Posts: 4
    Going from a 95 Blazer to this 04 Touareg, my premiums jumped $400 per year.
  • jd1318jd1318 Member Posts: 7
    hello to everyone on this board. i have been reading posts both good and bad for a couple of months. five weeks ago i ordered a treg. its a v8, blue silver w/ xenon lights and sound system upgrade. i settled with the dealer at $1000 over invoice. it was one of the more pleasant experiences i've had at a dealer.

the dealer called and told me it arrived on his lot yesterday. i went down today to take a look, and take it for a spin around the block to see if i could spot any problems i would want taken care of before delivery.

the build # is 41000+, i don't remember the exact #. i told my sales guy about a couple of the problems posters on this board were complaining about, remote distance, rear hatch closing, am radio reception, etc. we took a little time and checked these out and it looks like vw has taken care of some of those earlier problems. everything seemed to work just fine.

i'll keep this board posted with periodic updates on the treg's progress or problems whatever the case may be.

also the dealer informed me that prices on v8 treg's are going up $1500 in january.
  • ann50ann50 Member Posts: 4
    Got mine at Tweeter after buying a panasonic which they said was the only thing that would fit. it would fit in the back right panel in the designated spot but after buying 3 different connectors, each supposed to fit, I ended up taking it back. panasonic said that Tweeter was a company in our area (dallas) that had the connector. It didn't but did have a Changer-I think pioneer-- for about the same price with a matching connector. I stupidly said no problem, I can just slide it in. but the holder was 1/4 inch too short. So I spent a Sunday morning taking out the holder, taking one end off of it and sliding in the changer. it's not that easy but you can do it. I only used one small piece of duck tape because I was tired. All together it cost less than $300. You probably could find one that fits in the holder. The VW plug is not hard to find. the plug into the changer was what the problem was. I just thought that since I have everything in hand and didn't want to exchange, order or look any more I would just make it fit. Tweeter would have done it or free and not used the duck tape. Yes, I am the one who got the engine changed and one of the main reasons I didn't want a new car was that I have a functioning CD changer. haven't had any more trouble with the car. Everything works. no quirks but I think the wood over the glove compartment is splitting. I saw that on a V6 demo at the dealership. They are going to change it.
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    Even if you did not take a new vehicle once they had to change your engine I would really push them to compensate you for the diminished value. It is going to be a royal pain to try and get rid of a touareg that has had an engine replacement. Did they compensate you at all for this?
  • frustratedownrfrustratedownr Member Posts: 5
    It's been a couple of months since i posted my last mess in the on going saga of my t-rag ownership. It's also been a couple of months since i've seen my t-rag. on 10-29-03 dirito bros. agreed to give me a loaner while trying to fix my stereo/nav problem. it would come on intermittently when opening the rear hatch or pass doors. there was also a rattle in the drivers door. these were unresolved after the fisrt 3 weeks in the service dept.

i did damage my freshly repainted front bumper, so dirito bros. agreed to give me a loaner while it was in the same body shop that had repaired the "delivery damage" best as i can tell, it needed to be at the body shop 7-10 working days. is a dealer required to disclose all repairs made on a vehicle?

apparently someone found that the passenger door panel needed replacing, because every time they rolled it back up it would pull the weather stripping with it. a new stereo amplifier was installed, because they thought that it was draining the battery. there is still a problem with the batteries inability to hold a charge, they are now waiting for parts/replacing sensors for the steering wheel heater and steering wheel instruments. I wasn't aware of any of the problems in this paragraph until i called dirito bros. to check on my car.

i left a voice message(again) on the owners vm. i begged for a the vehicle to be replaced by stating the obvious that this vehicle would need to be very close to a service bay.

he finally called me back a week later. before i could write down his cell phone number, my home phone rang. it was a t-rag spec. from corporate, the same one who didn't call me back until i went over his head back in sept. the spec did apologize that i have been without my vehicle for so long and asked me if i would like vw to repurchase or replace my vehicle. i told him that if i could get a very high vin number that i would take a replacement. am i stupid? mine was #48??. I then called the dealer and he was very upset with corporate(good cop bad cop?) for there lack of response. i'm very used to it. the dealer did say that they have had a number of problems with the earlier vin #'s. he did try to assure me that he wanted to make me a happy customer. i told him that i have put 5k mile on his loaner and it's 1,500 miles past its 1st scheduled maint. he told me not to worry about it but was talking about charging vw for the miles

i'm still driving the v8 loaner with out air susp., after driving both i recommend the air susp. i prefer stiffer ride. the loaner has a rattle in the instrument panel, an occasional noise that is reminesent of my old bugs speedo cable before it wears out, a defective windshield(ripples across the passenger side), and a passengers door with a sticky handle/latch that requires a couple of extra steps to close successfully. it's vin # is 4???

I'm hoping to have a new car by the end of jan. if i had know it was going to take this long, i would have waited for the diesel

could i be wrong in thinking that i can get a quality t-rag? i do know that i will not own one out of warranty.

hope to have good news to post in the new year.

Happy Holidays to All!!!
    Thanks Ann. Sorry to hear about your engine. If you are happy with your T-Reg now, just drive it and do not worry about the valuation. I suggest Park Cities VW is great for all service. Very competent professionals, polite, nice clean loaners, quick repairs under warranty and no whining!

Now, about you CD Changer saga, do I gather correctly the Panasonic did not work and the Pioneer did and fitted into the little cubby hole? Did you try to get it fitted at Tweeter and they did not have the connector from Pioneer to VW 13 pin?

Thanks,

Cy
  • richtagsrichtags Member Posts: 2
    Picked up a V8 premium plus package touareg and am very happy with it except for one problem. When I drive it in wet conditions the driver's side interior carpet gets wet. I'm thinking the exterior is not completely sealed, hence get's the underside of the vehicle wet and thus the carpet. I have yet to contact the dealer (they're closed today) but was wondering if anyone out there has experienced the same problem?
  • alliekalliek Member Posts: 1
    I had purchased a V8 Touareg back in September, however, since the weather started to change in California, my car is making a weird compression sound with the first 5 minutes of driving time and it would fade away. I had taken the car back to the dealer 3 times and they could not tell me what's wrong with my car except that they heard the noise but could not reproduce the problem again. I had called VW customer service and spoke with Touareg Specialist and they had contacted the dealer's service manager, and was told that the noise from my car was "normal characteristic" of Touareg. I would like to know if any of you guys have experienced the same compression noise?? Please let me know.
    Thanks
    People at antoher web site have reported this problem. They say the following:

Post subject: water leak under mats / wet carpets

Has anyone checked for wet carpets under mats? I have a big problem and need help.

I heard someone say that they had a problem with water in the cargo area under that mat? Where is your water at?
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    went to the Touareg, and just got my issue in the mail yesterday. I had mentioned this a few weeks back.

These guys are hard-core off-roaders, so for me, this award makes the Touareg a "legit" off-roader.

Bob
    This may well be related, but I read a car review and the reviewer noted a rushing air sound when on the highway comming from the driver's front door. He also noted that is strange to him since teh T-reg is supposed to ford wather deep enough to cover part of the door.

I guess one way to test where the water is comming from is to ford some water at the maximum depth and see where the water is comming in.
  • drjollymondrjollymon Member Posts: 1
    Turning in my 4Runner (lease is up) and deciding between the Lexus GX470 and the T-reg. Have test driven both and enjoy both, though very different. Concerned about cargo space and general VW reliability in T-reg and rear barn-door and clunking knock in GX. Both dealers have a good rep. Will be driving in Buffalo snow in the winter and carting lots of sails around in the summer. Any thoughts?
  • califjohncalifjohn Member Posts: 101
    a 100% reliable vehicle I would pass on the T-reg for at least a year (maybe longer). There just seem to be too many electrical issues reported on various boards that have left people stranded with dead batteries. I think it is a great car and along with its near sister, the Cayenne is on my short list for(a year or so) later purchase. That said, there are also many, many people out there who report no problems at all and love their T-regs, so I guess it is the luck of the draw. The service experience at most VW stores also needs upgrading IMHO before it approaches Lexus, or even Buick! FYI in today's paper a V6 T-reg was offered at $31,xxx at two dealers in the San Jose area so a bargain can be had. Good luck with your decision, and have a happy new year!
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    Any experience with a Touarey in snow?
    what a "Cardan Shaft" is, what it does, and where it is located?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Google says it's a shaft with universal joints at each end. Apparently Cardan was the guy who came up with the universal joint concept.

Steve, Host
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    A dealer has 13 new T-regs available for invoice. A good deal?
    I guess any car could have several of those depending on how many things need turning by shaft with U-Joints on each end. I read on another board that some Cayenne owners had experienced problems that were resolved by replacing the cardan shaft and I was curious to learn what it was. Thanks again. Happy New Year!