Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW Touareg SUV

Comments

• tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    I take it you have the 4.2 V8. That engine does use 9 quarts of oil, but $180 is quite steep. I'm not so sure about it requiring synthetic oil. Do some research to find what the required oil is. About the only vehicles that "require" synthetic oil are full-fledged sports cars.
  • hazmat703hazmat703 Member Posts: 3
    I have a one month old 2005 VW Touareg (Base V-6, No NAV) and, for the most part, the vehicle has been fine. One issue that I have and would like input from others on is the Radio. When I test drove the vehicle and when I drove it off of the lot, the radio displayed station call letters, song names and artists for most of the FM stations. From what I gather on this BB, this is called RDS (radio display system?). My wife's Audi A4 has the same feature and it always has worked fine. With the Touareg, however, this feature stopped working after 2 days - the radio worked fine, just no song or station information whatsoever. I took it back to the dealer and they popped the radio out and put it back in, but they told me that they would order me a new radio. Popping the radio out worked for about 2 days and then it stopped working again. I then left the vehicle with my dealer who installed a new radio. The RDS worked for about a week and then stopped working. I called the dealer and after a week, they just called back to report that they had spoken to a VW USA Engineer who said the problem can not be fixed. The radio was designed for the European market, the radio has some form of memory in it and when the memory fills up with the station and song information, it then stops working, and there is no way to delete or "dump" the memory without taking the radio out and re-installing it. My dealer said to check back in a few months to see if something has changed and whether VW has a new solution to this problem.

I would like to hear from others on (1) whether they have had this problem (i.e., RDS stops working entirely) and (2) is there any other solution to fixing it? Anybody replace their radio entirely?
  • lexusrockslexusrocks Member Posts: 56
    Does anyone know if Volkswagen will release a small SUV to compete with the compact SUV's such as the Hyundai Tucson, Ford Escape, Honda CR-V? Volkswagen should also release a larger seven passenger SUV to go head to head with the Navigator, Escalade, LX470. Volkswagen also needs a pickup truck and a minivan to complete its lineup. I find Volkswagen to be have a very limited lineup.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    I believe they will release a smaller one, but not sure what platform it will be based off of.

They will have a large one...eventually...that uses the new Audi Q7 (stretched platform of Tourage), that will give 7 passenger seating.

Lineup does seem limited...where's the mini-van, where the coupes, convertibles…motorcycles (heh)
  • bradsterbradster Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone know of any dealer incentives for the new 2005 Touareg? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
  • panzerpanzer Member Posts: 125
    The v6 takes about 6 quarts and my dealer wants $90, which I think is high also. I do it myself. BTW, synthetic oil is required and shipped in the car new. While I've had a few issues that have been resolved I wouldn't trade mine for anything else out there. I just wish I could kill the seat belt chime.
    I am on my third radio (premium sound system). I've had the third for about 6 mos and everything is fairly normal. Both previous radios crapped out on the cd side, they jammed on a track, refused to play or something similar. The RDS is a little sticky sometimes, but generally works. The memory explanation sounds plausible. At any rate, my sound system is good enough, and RDS works well enough that I haven't complained about it. By the way, the radio is made by Delco (GM), and they pretty much pioneered RDS in American cars. I see no reason why it shouldn't work as well as any other RDS radio.
  • mevandemevande Member Posts: 190
    Makes no sense re: blowing trannys this way. I have had 2 BMW 740's (I have my 2nd now, 1999 yr) and always put it in drive while car is still moving "slowly" backwards due to the nature of my garage and driveway. I have never had a single problem with BMW's transmissions. I drive the car "hard", using most of the 320 HP (had a Dinan "chip" and mods put in by dealer). I drive it quite frequently in sport mode and that really works the transmission hard. I think you are being handed "bull" by the mechanic.
  • vwrobvwrob Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2004 Touareg V6 and we tow a 4500 lb camping trailer. It does just find. Of course you have your normal slowing going up long hills but overall it does real good. I know that it says that the towing capacity is 7600 lbs for all models but if your going to tow 6000 lb trailer I think about going with a V8
  • blaskyblasky Member Posts: 15
    .... Based on the discussions in the forum - if VW does in fact come out with a compact and x-tra large SUV, it would be wise to wait 2-3 model years before purchasing. (hehe) Could quite possible be a repeat of the touareg unreliability.
  • sthobesthobe Member Posts: 1
    To all current 2005 Touregg owners. I am looking into purchasing a new V6 Touregg but I am trying to decide if the air suspension is worth the extra $2500 for a smoother ride? Does the air suspension make a significant difference in the every day ride of the Touregg?

Thanks - Scott
    My 2004 air suspension V6 is not noticeably smoother riding than the regular suspension. The reasons to choose it are:
    1. You will tow. It automatically levels the car. Basically a good thing.
    2. You do high ground clearance off roading. In this case you change a good off road vehicle into an awesome one. A must have.
    3. You like a sporty ride. The sport setting is an edgier ride for curvy roads (think BMW). I find it annoying unless I'm in the mountains, on smooth curves. Just like I find the ride of the X5 annoying after awhile. The comfort setting is BS (it wallows and makes me and my wife sick). The auto setting really is just right. I do all of the above, so I'm generally happy with it.

On the other hand, it is expensive, and it is mildly annoying at stoplights, in that it often makes little adjustments in ride height that can be disconcerting to the driver and passengers. It will hiss at you in the garage as it fiddles with the air pressure after you shut it down. You do not notice it while underway however. Regardless of the setting, I think the ride is actually a bit rougher over sharp bumps than the standard suspension. Also, if you think it was expensive to buy, what do you guess it will cost to fix it when it goes on the fritz? Way more than new shocks for the standard suspension.
    Dave
  • rthomerrthomer Member Posts: 1
    I am in love with the T-reg and was close to pulling the trigger on buying a V-6 model this weekend. Quite frankly I got cold feet from this website. There are alot of enthusiastic owners of this vehicle, but it seems they are willing too put up with quite a few problems (or apparent problems) in order to experience the pleasures. I put a lot of miles on a vehicle, average of 32K per year. I can't be bothered with trips to the dealer every other month, other than routine visits.
    Question: Can this model make it that long? What kind of miles have owners put on WITHOUT problems? Can anyone report 30K or more a year and what are the results?
    With websites like www.touaregproblems.com, it scares the hell out of me.
    I have turned my attention to the Volvo XC90, or another Yukon which I know will go the miles after having 3 of them.
    I want a T-reg, its beautifully designed, and is the perfect blend of elegance and performance.
    My friend with a Cheyenne, says "stop reading blogs and go buy one, you can find something wrong with any vehicle." And also suggested that the negative criticism is coming from NON T-reg owners. It could be true.
    So I'm going to go against my friends advice, and ask the bloggers,
    What do you all think?
    Thanks in advance.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A similar question was asked just a bit earlier. Here it is (and scroll down for the response):

pbear, "Forums Discussion Finder: Get Directions Here" #3867, 27 Apr 2005 11:59 am

The posts complaining about problems do tend to outnumber the positive posts across all makes - when people's rides are running normally, they don't tend to post about that.

Steve, Host
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    you might take a look at the new Subaru Tribeca. Reliability has always been Subaru's strong point, plus safety, handling, and superb AWD systems.

The new Tribeca has many upscale features and is a real bargain, IMO.

Why am I here? Rumors of a Toureg pickup coming out in a couple years that caught my attention.

John
    I drive a lot of miles each year, only 20-25k, but I took the bet on the Touareg. At 23k I'm still happy. We'll see how it does. If you spend that much time in a car, why not put your butt in something nice? Listen to your Cayenne? friend and save $15k over his investment.

I saw the Tribeca at the Auto show. I'm sure it will be a reliable car, as subies tend to be. It is beyond toad-ugly.
  • bulsarabulsara Member Posts: 21
    Go V8 if you can afford the juice!

Cy
  • dklaneckydklanecky Member Posts: 559
    If your going to drive 30+k per year, I'd check out the service schedules for any of the vehicles you are considering. (Unless of course the $$$ doesn'rt matter.)

In my experience, any vehicle with a full time 4wd will cost significantly more to maintain over the next 150k than one that uses just part time awd, like a Highlander, or Pilot or Murano.
  • djocksdjocks Member Posts: 124
    I am seriously considering a t-reg.

To all, can you tell me what you have been getting for MPG on both the v8's and v6's. Please let me know which you are driving.

Thanks,
    djocks
    "Its dealers want to sell cheap cars, but VW wants them to sell the expensive ones as those are the only ones that make money."

VW Dealers Fume as Sales and Satisfaction Levels Tumble (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
  • abo1abo1 Member Posts: 1
    I do not know for sure, but I was test driving a touareg this weekend and I asked what the difference will be b/t the '05 and '06...The salesman said they are going to discontinue the touareg and come out with a smaller and larger version. I thought he said the new line will be called the independence. If anyone has heard the same thing, please let me know...

what do you this will do to resale values?
  • bigspencebigspence Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 V6, low VIN Treg that I absolutely love. Yes it has had its share of "new model" problems but my dealer, Boucher Volkswagen, Frankilin, WI., has fixed them all and taken care of all my concerns. From reading the various forums concerning this vehicle I feel that all of the problems that I encountered have been alleviated in the 2005 model year. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a 2005 and am immensely happy with my 2004. I think this is the best all around vehicle made. It rides very comfortably on the road and can handle any snow or off road conditions you would normally encounter. It is also built for the autobahn and is a stable platform well above 100 mph. The 2005 V6 has 20 more Hp than the 2004 and this would be appreciated because although not sluggish, 5000 lb. is a lot to haul around. I average 17.5 mpg through 4 seasons of operation and a 10% ethanol gas additive. Go get it.
  • savvygalsavvygal Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone pulled a 2 horse trailer with a T-reg? My trailer loaded weights about 5000#. One thing to consider is that horses do not necessarily stand still in a trailer. They shift and can really toss their weight around. It sounds like the stabilizer system on the T-reg would handle shifting issues. I live in the gorgeous Hudson River Valley and do tow to Western Mass on occasion. This takes me over the Berkshires which are long slow raises. I do not do this very often and usually with only 1 horse. Nowhere do I see anything about it towing horses. I would think if VW thought it was a good idea, they would target the forever (not me) affluent horsey set! Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    VW needs to put a bandaid on the problem -- IMHO, remove the risk of buying one, or at least reduce the risk.

Include the maintenance -- just like their cousin Audi and another company that was facing some issues, Hyundai. Hyundai's response was to extend the warranty to 100,000 miles or 10 years.

The real fix will be higher quality and reliability, of course. This [risk mitigation] would at least patch the problem for the next few years while they turn the reliability ship around.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Look out Land Rover, Volkswagen has moved into the off-road record book by reaching the highest elevation ever for a stock vehicle.

http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=102310
  • hosshaulrhosshaulr Member Posts: 2
    I saw your message and am in the same boat myself. Have you tried pulling your two horse? I have the V8 model, but am worried about sway and tongue weight. Any help appreciated.
  • kurthenningkurthenning Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2004 T-Reg V8 with all options except park assist and nav.
    No problems. Zero. nada. Great vehicle.

Get the air suspension for all the obvious reasons plus - you can lower the car when you wash & wax it to car height!

It's over engineered and under priced.

Buy one and forget the mundane Yukon.

Kurt :shades:
  • ajamoajamo Member Posts: 18
    Trying to negotiate a cap cost on a 3-year lease. I noticed on this site and several others that VW is currently offering dealers a mfr. to dealer incentive of $2000 ~ is this in play during negotiations?

Thanks.
  • cpricecprice Member Posts: 2
    Let it be known that the customer service rep will tell you that you can expect 20,000 miles of tire life! Ask your rep and see what he/she says. $200.+/per tire and I'm not towing anything. Truly dissapointed with the tire life
    In regards to questions about towing. I was recently in the doctors office, waiting, and was reading a boating magazine that did an article on the Touareg. Not sure of the date, but the Touareg was a V8.

I don’t remember all the specifics but I remember they were towing near the max weight and tested the vehicle at different grades; I think it was 3% and 6%.

I think the 6% grade they had trouble keeping it at 55mph. The transmission shifted into 3rd and was running at 4500 rpm. They said this was not acceptable for extended use. The 3% grade was handled much more easily.

I’ve never towed, or driven the Touareg, but assumed that the V8 could pull anything all day long going 100mph; shows what I know about towing.

It was a pretty extensive test regarding different aspects of towing (something I did not fully understand). Their overall impression was they really like the sophistication of the Touareg and liked the automatic towing stabilization (thing).
    I just replaced my Dunlop SP8000's at 24k miles with Pirelli Scorpion Zeros. They were $681 installed, out the door, with tax. Initial impression is better ride, similar handling sharpness, very slightly more noise at low speed, can't tell any difference in tire noise at high speed. They are V-rated, 400AA. I expect they'll last a bit longer than the Dunlops. As I've stated before, I am not surprised at the tire life, given the speed ratings, car weight, all wheel drive, etc. I've been driving 4x4's continuously for 35 years and this one is much better than anything else I can afford. A sports truck that can literally go anywhere! If all you bought it for is to get groceries and take the kids to soccer, you're missing the point, big-time. You would have been happier in a Chev-Ford-Dodge, Subaru, Lexus or Acura. By the way, city driving is harder on your tires than the interstate.

Anybody that tows at 100 mph is plain nuts and homicidal-suicidal. Take it easy is the right way to do it. More motor should just be used to maintain reasonable speeds uphill. It is expected to have to slow down on uphill runs. People that tow too fast are the same ones that drive too fast in the snow. Fate will get all of them, sooner or later.

As far as towing is concerned, if a German car company says their wagon will tow 7700 pounds, you can be pretty sure it will without complaint. Although a steady diet of 4500 rpm would be tough on any american V8 (or V6 for that matter), and I have the experience to prove it, towing with the Touareg at 4500 rpm (either engine) should be no big deal. Anyone that has ever owned an Audi, BMW or Mercedes (pre-Chrysler?) knows what I mean. They have good cooling capacity, they run synthetic oil and their motors are way smoother at high rpm. I have not towed with my Touareg, but will when that boat shows up. My Touareg doesn't burn a drop of oil between changes.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Fate will get all of them, sooner or later.

Unfortunately, fate may also get the innocent along with them.

tidester, host
  • vflubvavflubva Member Posts: 1
    I too am a Virginia Touareg owner - many problems-many trips back& forth to the dealer (Britt in F'burg). They have had my car the last 10 days. Nice people - but c'mon. It's VW's fault for producing a sub-standard, unreliable car, but the dealer (service) has not been 100% either. Have logged more than 1000 miles on this car (w/ trips back and forth to dealer) in less than 9 months/8K miles. 3x so far on the tire warning + many other electrical and quality issues. Does VW have the integrity to make this "right" - I'm about to find out if they have any class (I don't want another VW) - I want my money back. I would be happy if they'd take it and pay off the balance. I have endured nothing but grief with this vehicle, the least they could do is let me walk away without losing my shirt! I am BEYOND frustrated, and am sick about the challenge ahead - I dont want a fight w/VW of America - I want them to admit this car is a hassle - and take it back -period!
  • asiantouragerasiantourager Member Posts: 2
    I have 2004 V6 Treg too, but I only got average 15-16 mpg, even in road trip with all highway, it is not difference. How can you get 17.5 mpg, can you tell explain something?

My Touareg is everything in stock, I didn't put anything other than the CD-changer in the tunk

thanks
  • asiantouragerasiantourager Member Posts: 2
    150K.............. are you kidding?
    There is no way a german car last least than 150K
    I have 2004 V6 Treg, I am expecting between 200-300K miles for its life time of Enginer and Transmission, what do you think?

I drove my 1994 Mustang for 250K before it got second time of leak in enginer gask.
  • snowbound1snowbound1 Member Posts: 2
    i have had my tour-egg since November 2003. Since then it has been nothing but problematic. I absolutley HATE the car and have tried to get rid of it many times. The dealer is not helpful at all and neither is VW of America. They treat the situation as a joke and dont cooperate with me or other EGG owners. Some friends problems include, car flooding when in car wash, wheels locking up when in a turn, ect. My problems include warning lights that indicate NOT to drive the car from that point on, the car refusing to exceed the speed of 25 mph on some occations, many air bag problems and headlight problems as well. If you were planning on buying this car i would highly suggest you NOT investing in the horrible VW product. Even if you go against my word and many others you will be sorry. Going in for service OFTEN and having to wait for a part to come, for even a month at the most for me(when my windshield cracked and they had to ship a piece of glass from Germany to USA to have them crack it again durring installasion to wait for another 3 weeks.) These are the types of luxuries that you should plan to encounter with the AMAZING---NOTTouareg.It makes me want to :cry: and it has made my wife do so in past experiences. You would have to be a complete moran to buy this car.
    Maybe this will help sales:

VW Goes Ape for King Kong Tie-Ins (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
  • heaterheater Member Posts: 3
    I am writing to let everyone who that the Touareg diesel has new technology under the hood to keep you and your engine warm in the cold winter months. The US diesel will be offered standard equipment a new technology called a Fuel Operated Coolant Heater or FOH for short, you or your dealer will not even know it’s under the hood because it only runs when it’s needed and comes with the vehicle). What this system does is anytime the diesel engine is incapable of maintaining a specified coolant temperature in the winter the FOH is automatically activated the heater via the engine controller to warm the coolant (this equates to being able to keep you warm in the passenger compartment) and provides more heat for both the interior and the engine. This very cool feature is already available on the Touareg in Europe, but the Touareg in Europe even takes this feature a step further with a very cool add on option. This heater when used to its fullest potential can offer the Touareg owner an entire new level of passenger comfort. How about entering your vehicle already warm and having a defrosted windshield before you leave the store, home or work. Sounds great, and it does all of that with the "engine-off” so it’s environmental friendly (unlike remote start which runs the engine for warmth). In fact this technology uses 8 times less fuel than a remote starter and puts out 1% of the emission that a remote started vehicle puts out. WV is currently trying to decide if people in the US would want this additional feature, so any feed back would be helpful
    I suspect you have a vested interest, but I'm all for useful toys and full employment for techies.

For a car that sells for about $70k to only about 500 people a year in the US, my guess is they ought to throw the option on all of them. The only people that buy TDI's are those that must have the biggest one on the block. They are the toy boys. There is no economy in paying $20k more for your car to save a few pennies a mile for fuel, which by the way costs more than the premium gas it takes to make my Touareg go down the road. Of course, most of the TDI owners surely park in a garage, so they start their cars warm anyway.
  • heaterheater Member Posts: 3
    Thank you for your comments regarding the heater system and I also share your concern about the very high pricing of the Touareg diesel. The TDI's are the latest and greatest in more environmental transportation (unfortunatly the entry fee is quite a shock). As for your garage comments even people with garages have to park outside at work and at the store, so they are quite pleased to be able to enter a pre-warmed vehicle at the times when they are unable to garage their vehicle.
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 384
    Is there any news of updates or changes for '06?
    The Cayenne folks are reporting a new 275hp 3.6L V6 for next year.

Incidentally- I finally got to drive a Cay yesterday. Truly a great handling vehicle. Handling wise, it surely bests the T-reg. Taught, without being harsh (like the FX35). Body lean well controlled. Much more nimble feeling. Terrific brakes- and for some reason the V6 in the Cay seems peppier than in the T-reg. Although, that's probably just perception rather than reality.

However, I found the Cay's interior design much less user friendly and not nearly as nice looking.
    3.6L and 275hp...sounds like VW's new 3.6L.

In the Passat it makes 280hp so I would assume it will make it's way in to the Touareg.

I would guess spring/summer.
  • ty39ty39 Member Posts: 23
    If you own a 2005 Touareg V-6, have the reliabilty problems disappeared that were apparently evident in the earlier models? Also, has the V-6 been satisfactory? The discounts for the remaining '05 models are very attractive, but should one wait, if the '06 model has more HP...or do I look for another SUV, period?
    The Touareg 'street' reputation for reliability, does not exude confidence, yet 'Edmunds' says it is the 'Editors Most Wanted' and 'Consumers Most Wanted'...if it is so "wanted,' why the discounts? I live 60 miles from the dealer and reliability is a concern. Or, will it be as reliable as my '91 Miata, requiring only fuel, tires, and oil changes? Let me know about the real Touareg...PS I already know there is no room behind the second seat for golf clubs!

• tencjeddtencjedd Member Posts: 44
    Just bought the 05 Touareg, and was told the 06 would have a 40HP jump on a slight engine change (reboring of same block for bigger displacement). Hard to believe you felt better pickup in Cay, given the curb weight differences of the car. I bought the V8 myself, and have to say, the car has all the pickup you need and then some. During the test drive, when I hit the accelerator on the on-ramp, I wasn't even into the merge area when the salesperson said, "Umm, that's 80mph." I looked down, and sure enough it was. Same thing on a pass on a 1 lane each way road. Hit the accelerator, and after moving back in, the speedometer was at 80mph. Car was smooth as glass. Only issue I can question them on after 1500 miles - no front seat trash recepticle, although the rear seat has one in each door, and 1 in the rear of the center console if you don't get the 4 zone heat. I also find the self leveling suspension a little "dizzying" at times, when you've come to a stop and aren't expecting the adjustment.
    Not sure of why the discount is so large either but suffice it to say that a V8 Touareg with at least package 3 is a $10k discount to an X5 4.4 with a heck of a lot more options to boot. The only thing you don't get is the massive BMW sunroof and the fee maintenance. My research showed early model year data was showing some improvement on defects, which should be expected anytime you buy a car that is totally new. For $1400 I took the extended warranty 6/100k vs. the 4/48. Based on my mileage I figured I picked up 3 more years for less than $500/year. Given how many gadgets there are in the car, should be money well spent. Great car, great drive.
    "You would have to be a complete moran (sic) to buy this car."

What you should have said is, "You have to be a complete moron to buy ANY brand new model car in its first year of production, let alone the first 4 weeks as you did."
  • rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    With gas getting close to 3 bucks a gallon, big discounts are what's moving SUV's right now.

Cars Direct is pricing 05 V8 T Regs at about $7000-$8000 off sticker depending on the options.

If you can buy a V8 Reg with navigation, air suspension, and all of the other goodies for that kind of a discount, it's a pretty good deal.

Depreciation on the T Regs has been very steep over the last year or so, just like a lot of higher end SUV's.
    The Touareg is rated to tow 7716 pounds. If they did a towing test with maxiumum weight, on a 6% grade then its no wonder the car had trouble holding 55mph. That's equivalent to towing a 30 foot boat (Grady White Bimini 306 w/ dual outboard engines). So pulling 3 tons, with all that wind resistance, up a 6% grade is going to be a "chore" for just about any vehicle, let alone a car that is as quick, nimble, and smooth riding as th Touareg. However, that's why you have the Tiptronic transmission. The transmission should be manually controlled to keep the RPM's in the car's peak HP and torque range prior to hitting the incline, something the transmission can't see coming, but the driver can. As for towing at 100mph, only an idiot would attempt that.