Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GM's triplets Venture, Silhouette, and Montana

Comments

• offhamoffham Member Posts: 344
    You are right, this is far harder than the handbook makes out.

On a Venture 2000, I move the radiator overflow tank out of the way, as attached to the supporting bar is a coil like device which gets in the way..

Release the air intake tube at the point it attaches to the engine. This will release tension on the whole set up.

Unclip the cover and pull it off. Install new filter and reconnect intake.

Still not easy and I cannot imagine dealers take this long.
  • indrgbindrgb Member Posts: 115
    I changed the filter on my 2000 several months ago and could not believe how difficult it was. I posted a message about it and someone replied it wasn't that bad. I think there is difference between the 97-99 and 2000-up. The Haynes manual I have shows a picture of an ealier model and it definitely looks different than mine. Maybe the earlier models are easier to change, I don't know. I am also curious how long it takes a dealer tech and what trick they do to make it easier.
  • dlubindlubin Member Posts: 66
    I did move the overflow tank, but didn't try releasing the air intake tube. I will give your suggestion a try!

Thanks!

Dan
  • jrdwyerjrdwyer Member Posts: 168
    As you may know, GM recommends changing the cabin air filters at 15,000 miles. The lowest price I could find was our local NAPA store with a price of $17.99 plus $4.85 shipping from the warehouse(did not carry in stock), versus $60 at dealer and $32 at Auto Zone. Filter is made by Wix so it should work fine. Has anyone else found a better deal? And do you think that the recommended change interval is very conservative and used strictly as a money maker for GM? $60 sure seems outrageous for a couple of air filters.
    I ordered the same filter though since I ordered it from a local store (And picked it up) there was no shipping charge.

I checked all of the local stores, dealers, etc and that was the cheapest.

One item to note for those of us with newer (2001+) vehicles - NAPA's parts catalog didn't list our vans, but the filter is the same as the 2000.

Dan
    Last post was interesting as a town neighbor, has a 2001 or 2002, not sure which and the 2000 filters did not fit.
  • alaskamamaalaskamama Member Posts: 3
    (I posted this in problems/soultions, but it seems that this forum is better read...so far, I just can't believe how much I love this van!)

Last night my husband & I bought our first Venture, '98 year with only 44,000 mi. We were & are very pleased with the price we got, and the added features it came with.

Driving home, we noticed on cruise control & a few other times, it wasn't so smooth. It was like someone consistantly accelerating & letting off, but only slightly, enough to wonder...

(I realize now, that it is only after you are going at least 50mph, and it's more like a pulling, like someone is tugging on the front with a rope, it's wierd.)

Is this a normal Venture trait we simply need to get used to, does anyone else experence this as well?
  • jeberjeber Member Posts: 91
    i've just had the 01 silo for a couple months, but cruise seems quite smooth & efficient...i'm sure its the same cruise as venture...could need some sort of adjustment?
  • thaesthaes Member Posts: 3
    Still enjoying our 2000 Montana with some where in the neighborhood of 45K miles. My question is can the auto-headlight function be disabled? I have looked though the manual and have not seen anything. There are times that I would like to start moving with only the parking lites on, then put them on myself.

Thanks
    Tom
    I hope I didn't cause anyone to misorder filters. Apparently there are TWO filters listed (according to my GM dealer) for the 2001 Montata (which I own).

The following are AC Delco part #'s:

CF119c - This is a white rectangle, paper-cardboard filter, taller at the ends than the sides. - This one is available for under $20 at NAPA, etc.

CF123c - This is a black plastic rectangle, with dark gray pleated filter material that appears to be impregnated with charcoal. - This one appears to only be available at GM dealers for $43 or so (I tried several AC Delco independant stores with no luck).

My Montana (with rear air) takes the CF123c.

Hope this helps, if anyone has any more data I'd love to hear it!!

Dan
    '01 Montana
  • kkollwitzkkollwitz Member Posts: 274
    Were you going up & down hills?
  • dirkdaddydirkdaddy Member Posts: 313
    Just a guess, and I know it sounds dumb but I'd swear you had it the "3" instead of "D" on the gear selector - and that will cause a lot more engine braking and the symptoms you describe. My van does not act as you describe.

DD
    This issue appeared several months ago and people who wished to have full manual control had the dealer disable the auto function. I recall that is was not a big issue.
  • rylesryles Member Posts: 19
    I saw on another board mention of a discussion about the 8 passenger seating. I am interested in one of the triplets with 8 passenger seating as we have an 18 month old and are expecting twins. I'd like to be able to put all 3 in the second row and have the 3rd row either available for passengers or the space for cargo. How prevalent is the 8 pass. in used vehicles? Is it/was it available on the Pontiac or Olds? I know the WB edition of the Venture has it standard so I've been looking at those used. I don't care much about the other items on the WB, I just want the 8 pass. and the integrated child seat for the 18 month old.

Ryles
    The best bet if you are looking for a used are the 2000 models. From 2001 the rear bench is fixed although folds flat, but not removable. I do not know how much space that takes up when folded down.

We have the 8 seater in LT version, which was a no cost option instead of the two captains chairs.
    The rear seat is a three person (smallish) split bench in two parts and comes out completely, as well as the the three middle row seats. The passenger side second row does have the built in child seat, and it was also available for drivers side at cost.

I thought the WB version was 7 seats with two modular seats in the third row.

I believe that Chevy was the only one who offered this option as Pontiac and Olds were more "up market."
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    Congratulations on the addition to the family. Quick research shows the following:

Chevrolet Venture: 8 Passenger 99 and up, 2 child seats 97-00, 1 child seat 99&00
    Pontiac Montana: 8 passenger 97 and up, 2 child seats 97&98, 1 child seat 97-00
    Oldsmobile Shilouette: 8 Pass 98&99, 2 child seats 97-99, 1 child seat 97&99

This may not be perfect but a quick look. There are also two types of 3rd rows; a split folding/removable and the fold flat ('01 up). Both were available, but only extended lengths got the fold flat. My Brother has the fold flat in his '01 and has no problems with 3 kids (of course he has MontanaVision). As an aside, another Brother has a '97 which was built with the two child seats, but the dealer swapped them out for the first buyer.

With $4,500 of rebates or $500 and 0.0% 60m on 2002s, you may want to check and see how close you are to affording a new triplet.

Best of luck in the search and with the twins.
    Montana Fan: Where did you get that info? Thanks by the way. It's very helpful. Does the Silo and Montana still offer 8 pass seating or did they stop in 00? An 8 passenger with 2 child seats would be perfect. Was that available on any of the triplets in 2002? I can afford a lower trim 2002, the problem is that nobody seems to have them in the 8 passenger setup. The only ones I find without the capt. chairs are WB editions, which have the 8 pass (1 child seat) standard. Again, thanks for the info.
  • alaskamamaalaskamama Member Posts: 3
    Thanks,

No, it's not going up and down hills, now after driving it a week or so, it's between 50 & 75 mph. Not always, but that's when it will start.

I doubt that we are in "3" instead of "D", my husband & me have always driven in "D" as a rule. Unless it's off by one on our van or something, I'll check it out this evening, but like I said, I don't think it's that.

Thanks again, I really appreciate any info, my hubby is ready to take it back to where we bought it... But I love it so much other than that. :)
    I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on a price for a 2002 Montana. Dealer has a program car that is pretty much loaded with all options minus leather (I want 8 seats which you can't get with leather) and minus video system. It has pwr pass door, trailer, rear air, leveling suspension, cd&cass, etc. MSRP on it is $31500. This is a model they got at discount as it was used as a passenger vehicle for the Pepsi 400. 1300 miles. They are asking $24,500. Considering the $4500 in rebates, what would be a fair price? I'm also considering a used 2001 model with the same options w/100K warranty, 15K miles. Asking $19700. Any advice?
    Ryles,

Sounds high to me. To me, you've got to save at least 20% off of the lowest 'new' price to justify the used purchase. These vans sell at or under invoice here in the Northeast before rebates.

The $19,700 deal sounds like a much better choice if you don't want to pay the premium for brand new.

I have an '01 8 passenger I bought last year, very pleased with the vehicle. We had a 7-passenger version prior to that, but like you, we have 3 children (including twins!)

Dan
    Does anyone know if you can purchase the integrated child seats for the two outboard positions in an 8 seat setup? If so, about what would the cost be? Source?
  • bob550kbob550k Member Posts: 148
    Funny, I chose the quad seating so the three stooges couldn't get close enough to beat each other like bongo drums. I did use a Previa for a while with 8 passenger seating it was convienient.
    Does anyone know if you can purchase the integrated child seats for the two outboard positions in an 8 seat setup? If so, about what would the cost be? Source?
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    "intergrated" means that the seats are built into the factory seats. Not available seperately. Only way would be to find them through a salvage yard. I have a Voyager with the dual intergrated seats in the center row, and have always used car seats or booster seats. In fact to keep the girls (now 8 & 5) from fighting and always in the seats, have the same pair in my wife's car. I prefer the car seat setup with a top teather strap to any built in seat I have seen. Just me. I think you will still be able to put three seats side-by-side-by-side when the time comes.
    Does your 8 passenger have the fold flat bench or the 50/50 tumble forward seats in the "way back"? Any opinions from anyone out there on which is better? More space with the fold flat, more flexibility with the 50/50. Decisions decisions.
  • bcd99bcd99 Member Posts: 45
    I have 2001 Silo with the 50/50 rear seats. I prefer these for the flexability of removing one or both. Plus I think the fact that an open space underneath when the seat is up would provide for more road noise to echo and magnify.
    Personally the 50/50 offers more options. You can have one seat in full upright position and have the other one completely out, tumbled forward or just have the back down as a tray table.

With the fold flat it is essentially up or down.
    Our 99 (7 passeneger) had the split, our new one (8 passenger) has the folding bench.

There is no 'road noise' as the third seat mounts IN the passenger compartment, and folds forward, not into a well like the odyssey. The whole seat is removable if you needed the extra couple of inches of space it takes up when folded.

I haven't decided which I like more .... folding the row flat is nice and frees up more room than the split seats..

Dan
    There are a number of meanings associated with "Program Car".

It was used by an executive
    It was in the loaner fleet
    It was in the Rental fleet (yes GM has an
    interest in a big rental company as does
    Ford or Chrysler, those cars usually have
    18,000 to 28,000 miles on them and are
    mostly light colors)
    It was used in a Golf tournament is possible
    IT WAS A BUY BACK UNDER THE LEMON LAW!

Be carefull, program cars are not always a good thing. Program cars are usually not loaded, the car you describe sounds well equipt, but not loaded. Sounds like you've got a rental on your hands, but why are they selling it with such low mileage? Have a body shop look at that one and call GM warranty center (the dealer can provide the 800 number) with the VIN number and get a detailed report of the cars warranty history.

Good luck
    As I briefly mentioned in the post above, this van was used as a shuttle vehicle for the Pepsi 400 Nascar race. It has PONTIAC in big white letters across the top of the windshield and a small "Pepsi 400" sticker in the bottom corner of the windshield. Thus I believe it was used for this purpose. I can't think of any options the van doesn't have other than video system, thus I would call it loaded.

Anyway, I'm probably going to make an offer on the used vehicle with 15k miles. Anyone know the advisability of light towing without the "tow package"? Can it be added later if necessary?
  • redsox5redsox5 Member Posts: 22
    Besides the popular coolant leak, our Silo is experiencing some electrical problems. It started with the tail lights, which I thought just needed bulb replacement. That was followed by the clock radio flashing every time I pressed the brake pedal. After taking a closer look at the tail light assemblies, I found that the middle prong on each wire harness had overheated and has started to melt. All fuses and relays seem fine. Anyone experience a similar problem. Before changing out each harness, I' would like to know what is causing this.
  • missedbassmissedbass Member Posts: 48
    funny you should ask. I had a similar problem with the drivers side tailight assembly. The middle connection, the black wire which is the ground was burnt. Between the brake light,turn signal and tailights on at the same time, I think the ground connection overloaded causing the lights blink wierd and then the abs and traction control dash lights would come on. I took strands of copper wire and put them in the black plug to make the connection tight. No more problem for now but if it happened to you and me, it sounds like over time it could happen to others. If the problem comes back it will go back to the dealer for repairs. Mine is a 98 olds with 46k miles
  • redsox5redsox5 Member Posts: 22
    We also get the abs and traction control lights coming on every now and then. Ours is a 99 with 55k miles, so like you, we are without a warranty, unless you have an extended one. What is the long term solution? I know the dealer will want to sell us new tailight assemblies, but what will prevent them from burning out again? I'm just trying to become as educated as possible before going to the dealer. On an unrelated topic, do you know if there is a way to disable the air compressor, which seems to run more than it should? I'm assuming there is a leak in the system somewhere, and I'd rather just turn the darn thing off, before it burns out too.
    You can probably just order the plug connector if the male prong on the taillight assembly is still good. It could be that it was a bad connection from day one and over time corrosion builds up and thats when the problem starts. You can disable the air compressor by removing the fuse from the passenger side of the dashboard.
    The vehicle height sensor is very senstive, it will bleed and then refill air depending on if you are sitting in the center seat or not for instance. Just get used to it. The ability to haul 7 with the van level is not equaled by imports, I think its a great feature on my Silo.

I noticed during a brake check that my rear air shock was leaking fluid. Looks like I'll get to see if those aftermarket shocks/struts will do anything for the floppyish handling. Availability is limited, but I was considering trying the Gabriel HI jackers (LOL, the same brand from 25 years ago when guys would use them to put wide tires on their cars by jacking up the rear!). Stock shocks on most cars/trucks are pretty cheap and most replacements are a distinct improvement in my experience. Wish there was a "sport" air shock/strut combo available.

DD

Also I posted this on a related triplet forum:

I was concerned about a nasty sounding scraping noise from the rear drums every morning when we first apply the brakes out of the driveway. After a few stops, it went away.

I know enough about brakes to realize if it was really worn the thing would scrape all the time, but it still got my curious nature. Over the weekend I removed both drums and checked the brakes. Both sides were fine, with over 1/4" of lining left all around (drum linings don't wear evenly, so check all parts).

Just FYI, if you are experiencing some scrape brake noises in the morning, ignore them. But do check your brakes at recommended intervals.

FWIW - I find the brakes on the Van to be pretty darn good, realizing the mass we have to slow down. The assist is perfect (as in most GM cars), pedal firm, Front/Rear balance very good and the antilock is perfectly calibrated to only kick on when needed and not before (unlike a ford explorer I rented where it would come on too early and probably extended braking distances IMHO).

I don't know what GM is thinking deleting ABS on cars as a standard, I have used the ABS on van twice in a year and both times it really helped keep in under control in wet high speed near-maximum stopping (ignoramus avoidance). I guess the imports make you pay for it, so GM is doing the same and getting an extra $500 discount if you don't want it.

Oh yea, on lights, My running light holder looked like it was burnt for some reason. I figured there was a electrical "arc" or spark from a poor contact. That's about theonly thing I can think of besides a LOT of current that would cause the thing to get that hot. But I replaced the bulb I was in doing anyway, it seems to work. THe wires were not melted or fuse blown as a high current/short would have done, so we'll see.

DD
  • catamcatam Member Posts: 331
    I recently took our 01 Venture on a 1500 mi. round trip to Disneyland. We drove the 700 mi each way stopping only for gas and food, took roughly 10.5 to 11 hours each way. The trip was great. I have the 8 pass seating, and 3 kids. I took the center modular seat out for the trip and in its place I put a cooler full of drinks, and a 13" TV/VCR combo. I don't think my kids fought once in the car the whole trip between Gameboy playing and movie watching. This is the only way to travel.

Quick question about the cabin air filters, has anyone tried just removing them altogether. I t seems to me that this would be an easy solution, I personally don't need a Hepa filter in my van, none of my other cars ever had one.
    Have the scraping noise from the rear brakes also. I tried getting the drums off but couldn't. the wheels spin free so I don't think the self adjusters have the brakes too tight. Any tricks to getting the drum off? Also the passenger side rear shock is leaking. I would guess you should be able to get Hyjackers.
  • kkollwitzkkollwitz Member Posts: 274
    This is not uncommon with drums brakes, and is weather-sensitive. Overnight a thin layer of rust can develop on braking surfaces. The first couple of times you use the brakes, they make the scraping sound until the rust is worn off.
    RE: stuck rear drum

Well, mine come off like a greased pig, but I've had some cars that were tough.

Make sure the retainer from the assembly line (round lock washer looking thing attached to a wheel stud) isn't hold the drum on. If its there, you can get some plyers and break it off.

If that's ok and wheel spins free, its probably not that you have the emergency brake on (doh!). It might be rust between the hub and drum, or in some cases slightly grooved drums. Either way, you can first try to remove with a good sized rubber hammer, beating around the outer edge (the open side toward the center of van). You can up the ante by using a mini-sledge and a board to protect the drum. That failing, you can try to adjust the adjuster back, moving the shoes in so that if your drum is grooved really bad it will let it come off. There is usually a hole in teh backing plate (sometimes with a rubber filler) where you can insert a adjusting tool (screwdriver) to move the adjuster.

Good luck, I've had a hard time with the adjuster but done it.

My pops has a 82 F250 where the rear drums were so rusted on he about broke a puller getting them off and used a whole can of liquid wrench. Oh yea, you can get a puller or rent one (or free from autozone etc) but you really shouldn't need it. Drums have about 1/16" inch or so clearance on the studs, they normally about fall off.

Good luck

DD
    D.D. Thanks for the info. I'll take a look at them again when I rotate the tires. I'm thinking its probably rusted to the studs. I don't feel like messing with the adjuster. like I said the wheels spin free so there is hardly any friction on them. I didn't see the retainers, I'll look again.
  • jeberjeber Member Posts: 91
    a lot of drums have a threaded hole(s) to screw a bolt into, which pushes drum back & breaks it loose

haven't had my drums off, but I think I remember seeing that the "triplets" have the bolt-holes, when recently browsing through my new Haynes manual

j.
    Does anyone know if you can add the power driver side door after-the-fact. I'm getting ready to buy a 2001 and am wondering if I can add the pwr door and about what it would cost to do so.

Also, would it be wise, and possible, to add the towing package after-the-fact if I'm only going to be doing occasional towing? I'll probably exceed the 2,000 pound stock rating, but not for huge distances and not very often (couple of times a year). The van has the self leveling suspension, just not the "towing package".

One more question. Has anyone found a low profile center console that will hold a small cooler for between the front seats?

Ryles
    I kind of recall the dealers suggested the tow package was about an $85 option and all you get is a wiring harness that the dealer needs to install. I found it hard to believe, but I checked it out somewhat and it seemed to be true. My car does have the factory tow package and there is a wiring harness in a bag (never been installed) with the tire jack. You should put in an additional transmission cooler if you do plan to tow anything at all.

I'd bet adding a second power door is not possible (right there with putting in aftermarket rear a/c).
  • ronsmith38ronsmith38 Member Posts: 228
    I think there is more to the towing option than a wiring harness. I think there is a heavy duty radiator and transmission cooler among other things.
  • artgpoartgpo Member Posts: 483
    The trailering package includeds the wiring harness, air leveling rear suspension, high output alternator and battery, heavy duty radiator and transmission cooler. It is standard on the Silhouette GLS and Premier.
  • mizeumlmizeuml Member Posts: 50
    Just found our first problem on our '02 Montana. We bought the van back in June and have 9500 miles. The rear a/c unit was blowing hot air while the front unit was blowing cool air. We had this same problem on our '99 Montana at about 70K miles. The expansion valve needed replaced. It took the dealer a while to figure out the problem on the '99. I will suggest this to the dealer when we take the '02 in to get it fixed.

Has anyone seen this problem? It was a stroke of luck that we noticed it on either van because the kids are too young to say anything. I just happened to ride in the middle seat both times and noticed it. Seems like the valve costs about $90 and it takes about 2 hrs labor to fix. Might be worth checking if you are close to running out of your warranty. I ran the heat for about 15 min. then turned to cold air. The front turned cold, but the rear seemed to get stuck on hot. Doesn't do it every time.

We have the load level system with the rear air shocks and have noticed a squeaking noise when going over bumps when the van is cold. I have not figured out the root cause yet, but suspect it may be the rear shocks. Has anyone heard this type of noise?

Thanks,
    Matt
    That explains my $85.00 tow package! I looked for that answer, several dealers, the factory brochures and the option lists didn't detail it like that. The brochure/option list just shows it as a stand alone $85 (or so) option.
  • shifty4shifty4 Member Posts: 53
    November 14, 2002

DETROIT -- General Motors Corp. (GM) is recalling about 1.5 million vehicles in order to repair a problem with a lower-pinion bearing in the power-steering gear assembly.

The recall affects model year 1996 to 1998 Chevrolet Cavalier and Pontiac Sunfire cars, Chevrolet Lumina/Venture, Oldsmobile Silhouette and Pontiac Transport minivans, and 1997 to 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix cars. GM said about 1.2 million of the vehicles are in the U.S. and about 240,000 are in Canada. The vehicles were built between Jan. 1, 1996 and Oct. 31, 1997.

In some of the vehicles, the lower-pinion bearing in the power-steering gear may separate, permitting movement of the pinion shaft.

GM said most reports it received concerning the problem indicate the driver experienced a loss of power-steering assist when making left turns, usually at low speeds. If the pinion shaft moves too far, some drivers could experience higher resistance when turning left followed by unintended power assist to the right.

The company noted there have been 15 reports of crashes and three injuries that may be related to the condition.

GM will start notifying affected vehicle owners in January and instruct them to bring the vehicles to their dealers.
  • greg32greg32 Member Posts: 48
    My steering went out last summer. It cost $1200 to replace and I'm hoping to get reimbursed and a new rack and pinion with a new design that won't fail! Does anybody know if they've re-designed the rack and pinion so this problem does not occur?
  • jpc47jpc47 Member Posts: 62
    My intake manifold gasket is leaking on my 1998 Venture, a repair which will cost around $450. Does GM recognize the problem? My mechanic told me that Dex-Cool is like syntetic motor oil, it just gets into the tiniest spaces. GM tried to deal with this with a new gasket, something made of plastic. Anyone out there know anything more?