Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz SL and SLK (all models)

Comments

• merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Not strange at all. They release models fairly quickly for the European market. We don't get the SL55 here until late fall/early winter. The SL600 is the one I'm waiting for. It has been conspicious by it's abscence. I do believe the current 5.8L V12, which is weak at 362hp IMO, is being upped to a true 6 liters and a hp rating of 400+.

M
  • dschmidt4dschmidt4 Member Posts: 13
    Thank you for the information regarding the COMAND system. Any info regarding the windows? I am seriously considering not buying the (ordered) 2003 because of the windows. They look terrible on a $100K plus car. Perhaps M-B will fix this along with upgrading the COMAND system in 2004. This is what I am trying to find out, and of course the dealer is not helpful.
    Well Comand "II" is due early next year all Mercedes cars. It's supposed to be simpler and more reliable than the current version.

Whats the problem with the SL's windows?

M
  • jstylejstyle Member Posts: 129
    Yes, a 'upgraded' version of the current COMAND system is due early in 2003 but the Nokia sourced system will debut with the next generation S-Class in 2005. This will be a completely new menu/joystick/voice controlled device based on a new OS. And I also would like to know dschmidt4 what is wrong with the SL windows?
  • shoesshoes Member Posts: 131
    My Tectite Grey/stone SL finally arrived following European delivery, 8 weeks to the day after I dropped it off near Frankfurt. I like it even better here.

Now I just need someone to give the phone number of a custom floor mat manufacturer, since the light stone mats are already dirty.
  • jstylejstyle Member Posts: 129
    Congrats on a great color combo. What is the trunk space like with the top down? I am curious to know. I've opened a launch edition at my dealer but only with the top up. Didn't have time to ask the salesman to drop it and then take a look.
  • lovemyclklovemyclk Member Posts: 351
    With the top down, there is at least space for some soft luggage, but stash the clubs in the passenger seat ;-) I'm amused to read storage justification comments on the SC430 forum. Some even view the "back seat" as a leather-lined storage area. I'm really impressed with the new SL... shoes, does yours also have the Sport Pkg?
  • bodydoublebodydouble Member Posts: 801
    gets my vote as the number one automotive babe magnet. I'm debating whether to put the kids thru college in a few years' time, or to buy an SL and cruise for college babes NOW, :))
  • w210w210 Member Posts: 188
    I have the same lovely stone interior and faced the identical issue. Any carpet shop should be able to help you on custom floor mats.

I used a cardboard to trace and drawn up the shape and size of the floor mats, picked a heavy duty commercial grade taupe color carpet from local carpet supplier and had two sets made in less than a week, costed me $100/set. Make sure you drill the holes on the new carpet mats, remove the four plastic round fasteners and put them on the new mat for the complete look!
    I spent some time at the dealer yesterday. They had several SLs around. I actually think the Launch Edition model with the 18 inch wheels looks better than the Sport package equipped model. The SL's interior is gorgeous. The whole car just sits on the road in such a way to convey speed even when it's parked. The SL once again is my favorite Mercedes-Benz. The CL coupes have been relegated to 2nd place.

M
    Thanks for the carpet tips, w210.

Even though I drove this car for 500 miles in Germany, these are my first true impressions of driving the SL500 on my own streets.

The ride quality is excellent. I did not get the sport package, because in my experience with the E55, I don't like the effect 18 inch wheels have on my butt. I have the Michelin Pilot Sport tires and they handle extremely well, or at least seem to because of the active body control. Steering is also wonderful, almost electric. The brakes have taken some getting used to, but I am almost there. They clearly work very well, but the pedal effort is light and sensitive. You already know that the car is gorgeous. My wife talked me out of red, which is a good thing because otherwise I would stop traffic. Stereo is excellent.

The few bad things so far are: visibility with the top up is just so-so. There is a blind spot on the rear quarter and I sit low and have some problems with the front mirrors. There are a few plasticky rattle noises coming from more than one place. Of course the cupholders are useless, even the auxilliary one they gave me that attaches to the passenger seat.

Overall it is the best covertible I have ever owned and maybe even the best overall vehicle out of the 78 I have owned so far.
    In response to prior questions, the windows do not go all the way down, front or rear. The front is a sliver, but noticeable. The rear has about 2 or 3 inches showing. Many photos either white the windows out, or take the shot at an angle that covers it up. The dealer said it was a "design feature" and does not know if M-B will fix it. Obviously, this is a great vehicle (mine is still on order), but I was surprised by this mistake in a $100+K automobile.
    dschmidt4 - I haven't even noticed it until you mentioned, the rear windows only have maybe less than half an inch sticking out, definitely not 2 or 3 inches vertically.

shoes - did you notice the noise when you have the top down? I did hear some minor rattling on rough surfaces with the top up (from the rear), asked the dealer to adjust the folding top mechanism, all the noises disappeared. yes, handling is amazing better that the E55 in my opinion.
    The more time I spend with this car, the more I like it. I cannot think of a car that drives or handles better in the sense that it is both plush and comfortable and stable at the same time.

I have to be honest and tell you that there are ratlles, lots of them, mostly associated with the top whether it is up or down. They do not detract from my ownership experience, and I am not surprised given I own one of the very first produced.

Mercedes has already sent me questionnaires to ask me what I think about the brakes and the cupholders (of all things!). I gave them a hard time about the cupholders before I used the mugs they provided for me when I pickup up the car. There is tall black plastic mug which reads SL Class, which fits perfectly in the cupholder (they also provided) which plugs into the forward part of the passenger seat. I was driving the other day with a full cup and had to stop quite quickly and the cup stayed firmly in its holder. Very impressive (for a German car). I went through this same exercise with my 2002 Porsche 911 and after driving two blocks from my favorite coffee shop, I hit a small bump in the road and the coffee exploded all over the interior of the Porsche. Needless to say, I don't use those snazzy new cupholders in the Porsche anymore.
    I'm going to design a cup lid that negates the "Old Faithful" experience in a Starbucks cup every time you hit a bump of any kind. Gonna get rich;-) Got tired of cleaning coffee stains off my Oyster Leather and carpeting!

Have a new MB cup for my CLK that works pretty well, but still want to design something that costs a fraction of a cent to produce that can be sold for a dime... Lookout Starbucks.
  • glamourlifeglamourlife Member Posts: 49
    There is a great write up of 5 of the world's fastest cars in the current Automobile Magazine. The Aston Martin V12 Vanquish, Ferrari 575M, Lamborghini Murcielago, 911 Turbo, and the SL55.

The review is very complimentary of the SL55. The article even goes so far as to call it and the 911 Turbo bargains when compared to the rivals which cost $250K+. Make sure you check it out...
    will be the new E55 with the same engine as the SL55 at half its price?
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    Or the Viper. Not to call Vipers well-mannered but supposedly the new one is very liveable and controllable while retaining its existing price point. In terms of performance sports cars, if bolted together well enough it may prove to be the top bargain of all - SL55/911 Turbo performance for under $80k.
    In response to w210 -- perhaps my two rentals in LA were the exception, or perhaps M-B has figured out how to lower the windows a bit further, but I can assure you that they stuck up at least two or three inches on my rentals. Thanks for responding.
    dschmidt4 - for what is worth, I just used a ruler to measure, both front and rear windows stick out less than half an inch. Interesting it's an adjustable item I suppose, mine was the first batch got it in March.

Just curious how much did the rental company charge per day for the SL?
  • free707free707 Member Posts: 6
    Shoes - How did you get Euro delivery on your SL? The web site does not list the model and my dealer has said no-go. I have a build date of October and would love to pick it up in Germany.

BTW, are the SL's delivered at Sindelfegen (probably mis-spelled). I thought when I toured there, they said the SL's were build somewhere else.
    There is no formal European delivery available for the first year of new models, so you cannot arrange this via the website. However, my dealer was kind enough to give up one of his allocation and arrange for the car to be delivered in Germany. Since I had purchased five other Mercedes from him, I guess I earned his kindness. This was a hassle for him, so unless you are tight with your dealer, you may have trouble arranging it.

The SL500's are manufactured in Northern Germany and they shipped my SL to the Sindelfingen delivery center outside Stuttgart because that is where I wanted to receive it. I could have arranged delivery in the North if I had preferred. It was a blast since this was the first and only SL Sindelfingen had delivered and they were pretty excited about it. I dropped the car outside Frankfurt and received it 7 weeks later.
    This is my 5th in five years from this dealer, so I will test his customer orientation. Can you elaborate a little on what it means for him to "give up one of his allocation" ? If I am already on the build list, can this be swapped for a European delivery without adversely affecting the dealer's allotment? Thanks.
    If you already have a car being built, your dealer may be able to arrange for the car to be shipped to Sindelfingen for delivery instead of directly to the dealership. This is what my guy did for me, but I had alerted him to my desire about a year in advance so he had time to work on it. If your dealer is confused, have him contact Joe Thomer at Mercedes of Oakland and ask him how he was able to do this. I hope this works out for you because I really enjoyed driving the SL at 135 MPH on the Autobahn.
    Thanks for the tip. I picked up an S and after chomping-at-the-bit during the break-in, found a nice open stretch and hit something like 135. As best I can recall, I think the speed governor kicked in at 136. It was a kick to turn on the cruise control and get the digital readout "Cruise Control 136". The SL will be even better - worth the 6-8 weeks delay in getting it back.
    Well now the SL55 gets 493hp. Gee Whiz! I didn't think Mercedes would ever market a car here with so much power.

http://www.mbusa.com/brand/container_fm.jsp?/future/sl55/glance.jsp&pl_fm_model=sl55&menu=2

M

Power output is up across the board. ENTRY LEVEL luxury coupes and sedans are hitting 260hp with a ton of torque to boot. You can get a 405hp Z06 without having to pay over sticker. A whole variety of cars are pushing past 400hp, so I'm not surprised to see the company cranking the power.
    There aren't as many cars as you might think that have 400hp+. It's still a pretty exclusive club.

M
    Not for long.
    We'll see about that.

Here is an online "blurb" for you"

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/comparison/articles/63936/page007.html

M
    Quite agree with everything mentioned in the article except the SL500's top can be lowered in 16 seconds and not 21 seconds..
    I read that blurb yesterday. Seemed like the SL and SC both did very well in not having to answer to their competition. (One being more sporty, the other more luxurious.) Poor Jaguar, will they ever get a good critical review.
  • kdudekdude Member Posts: 22
    I hear Tectite Grey was discontinued as a choice of color for SL (don't know about other models)! This after only a few months of production!

Do you guys know if this is true? I can't get the same answers from the two dealers I work with.
    "Seemed like the SL and SC both did very well in not having to answer to their competition."

What????

M
    "What????"

Exactly what I said. The SL was a heck of a roadster and in most dimensions the best money can buy. The SC was also a heck of a roadster and hands down the most serene and luxurious roadster money can buy. That's what I took away from the article. Jaguar - bad. Porsche - Good. SC430 - Really really really good. SL500 - Really really really really good.

I've now seen a '03 SL500 and continue to be unimpressed by Mercedes interior design, it doesn't look substantially different from a SLK230... or a C240 for that matter. At risk of starting another fight with you, I do believe the SC430 has the most elegant and beautiful interior in a production car. If that's the top priority for a prospective buyer, the SC really is a heck of a car, irrespective of price, and I thought that came through in the comparo quite clearly.
    I beg to differ on the interior of the SC430. Yeah it has loads of wood, cool gimmickry, and leather, but I still think the interior of the Jag is more upscale. The Lexus just seems too tacked on. The car does not feel solid. Especially when compared to the 911, Maserati, Jag, or SL. Those cars seem so much more substantial and better crafted.

I believe that luxury is more than skin deep. Its craftsmanship, heft, chassis solidity, etc. These are all weak points for the Lexus. Perhaps that is where a lot of the cost difference is. For the money, it is a great vehicle. But in no way would I say it has the best interior. If you are willing to trade style for substance, then the Lexus is a good buy. However, most in this price range are too discriminating.
    Comparison of the new SL interior with the SLK or the C240 is simply nutty. Please let us know what specific styling cues allow you to reach this conclusion - as not a single interchangeable component exists among the three. I'm just going to have to say this... the Lexus simply appeals to the more feminine car buyer... both in "feel" and in driving dynamics. Nothing wrong with that, as my wife, a loyal MB driver, really likes the SC. Would have no problem seeing her in that car, but I probably wouldn't borrow it from her too often!
    I have never seen anyone as confused as you. You said the SL and SC did a good job at "not having to answer to their competition". Then you say the SL is the best there is??? The SL and the SC did just that, answer to their competition, mainly the XKR/8 only the Maserati was missing. As far as the SL and the SC themselves they were in the same test, compared with each other.

If anything the 911 didn't belong, it's a sports car first.

Now about Mercedes' interior design. You're blind if you don't see a difference between the SL500 and the C240 or SLK. The SLK is no where near the same as the SL. Didn't say you had to like it or be impressed, but you don't see a difference? Yeah sure. I could turn around and say that the SC430 has a nicely trimmed interior but it way to busy with all those constrasting colors and that ugly light-colored wood. With the black leather and dark wood, the SC's interior looks a lot better.

M
    I wanted light beige leather and the SC only offers yellowish wood with it.

Of course, the light colour yellow "wood" clashes with the black steering wheel and dash and looks like cheap plastic. The "early 80s calculator style" grey low tech radio looks completely out of place in the theme. My favourite SC430 interior would be the dark wood with the light cream which does not exist.

With the MB SL500, you can specify if you want the walnut or chestnut wood (dark or light) or black maple trim; with the SC430, you do not have a choice with the leather and trim combination.

While styling is subjective, no way the interior of the SC430 is stylish or attractive in my opinion. I much rather have the 996's clean simple interior, the Lexus is just too gaudy in my taste.
  • whothemanwhotheman Member Posts: 169
    For $85k-95K, the Benz better offer every array under the sun, even colors that don't match! The new SL's interior is too similar to the $34k C-Class for my taste (and it even has the SAME headlights!). Sexy outside, chintzy inside......Mercedes is trying with the blue guages. Trying. Wonder where those came from? Very un-Mercedes-like.....
    The MSRP of the SL500 is around $85k. The $95k is the special edition which may not be the best value in my opinion.

Still an expensive car, but you need to drive it to fully appreciate the car. The interior looks like the C-class? Must say I don't follow; different gauges altogether and definitely different headlights. The SL has full leather everywhere, COMAND navigation, etc. standard unlike the C. Blue gauges are quite effective under bright sunlight without the top. It's a break from the tradition, yet in a graceful manner, unlike the new BMW 7 series.

If you want only the MB badge to impress the neighbor, go for the C-couple. And for showing off a MB convertible, I bet the SLK will be sufficient.

But then, if you are a car enthusiast and will look beyond the superficial wood, leather and paint, you should test drive the car; what you are paying for is the superior handling, top of the class active (think active electronic brakes proportioning & active suspension) and passive safety - a most solid and technologically advanced convertible money can buy.
    "The new SL's interior is too similar to the $34k C-Class for my taste (and it even has the SAME headlights!). Sexy outside, chintzy inside......"

Clueless comments! Describe "chintzy inside"... If you are going to post something worth reading, at least offer an informed thought. Since the C-Class and SL have NOTHING in common other than the manufacturer, you may want to think about a more believable opinion.

Nothing wrong with not liking a car, as we all gravitate toward certain qualities in an automobile... in much the same way that some people will gravitate toward a Rolex or a Seiko. The Seiko may actually keep better time, but that isn't the only criteria for people to buy this watch or that.

BTW, many features found on today's leading edge brands have little to do with their historical past... can you say iDrive?
  • boo20boo20 Member Posts: 85
    Totally idioic, cluless comments coming from a Lexus shill.
  • ksurgksurg Member Posts: 48
    Has anyone really found a SL500 being sold at MRSP. Admittedly I've chosen to purchase a 911 C4S but when comparison shopping a month or so ago the dealers had people in line to purchase SL500's $20-40K above MRSP. Pretty steep for buying a car you've never driven and in some cases never seen. Talk about blind faith. I don't really want to get into an ethical discussion about "price gouging" but would like to point out that when comparing cars based on price you need to take "TMV " into consideration. I have yet to see this mentioned in the reviews of the SL500. IMHO it is definitely not worth $110-135K!
    I bought my CLK in the 1st year of introduction (1998) and was informed that MBUSA would not allow Dealers to charge over sticker. I was on a wait list for the 1st Black CLK sold by my Dealer and paid MSRP. I was offered $6K over sticker on the spot by an Auto Broker, who then wanted to sell at a greater premium. Dealers were doing the same... buying back at a premium, then reselling at inflated prices.

Wondering if MBUSA is now employing a "hands-off" strategy with it's Dealers? Also, wondering if the new 2003 CLK will find itself in a similar position? I'd NEVER pay a dime over MSRP. Guess some Dealers believe price gouging is an endearing tactic to build brand loyalty!!
    There is really nothing MBUSA can do about dealers and price gouging. Thats exactly why it's call Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price. The key is finding a reputable dealer or waiting a year for the SL to cool off some.

M
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Just don't anybody buy cars punched up way over MSRP and that practice will stop in about 6 weeks nationwide.
    Ready for this? I ordered my SL500 more than a year ago. I flew to the Frankfurt Auto show in September, 2001 to see the car. I picked up the car on my birthday in April in Europe. I received the car back from Europe three weeks ago. I have put about 1,000 miles on the car, half in Germany and half here. Now, I have decided to sell the car.

Maybe my disappointment is a result of the fact that this was one of the first SL's produced. Even my dealer refers to me as a guinea pig. Here is my list of gripes: (1)The car is too heavy (we already all knew that). It really is not much fun to drive. I feel like I should color my hair silver just to drive it. (2) All the electronic gizmo's- the brakes, the engine management, the suspension- all conspire to make you feel like you are watching a video game of driving and not actually driving. When I open the car door or start the car, there is all this whirring of electronics distracting me from the basic FUN of driving. Sometimes these electronics fight with you, for example, the radio makes itself louder or softer depending on your speed, I find this very distracting. (3) The Brakes- I add this for emphasis, I cannot get used to these brakes, they have no traditional feel. Maybe my problem is that my other cars, a Porsche 911 and a BMW 540i, have such fantastic brakes, that the Mercedes seems detached by comparison. (4) Quality control- maybe it is my fault for being first on my block to get one, but there are a ton of rattles from the top, the dash and areas unknown behind the driver's seat. Now there is an SRS warning light that won't go off and the monitor that is supposed to report a problem says there is none, so why is the warning light on the dash still on? This car is very complicated, lots of electronics. If I am having problems so early into my ownership experience, what will it be like in three years?

Before all the Lexus fans start piling on, remember that I was the guy who owned one of the first SC430 convertibles and hated that as well. Maybe I should stick to BMW's and Porsche's?