Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey vs Dodge/Chrysler minivans

Comments

• marine2marine2 Posts: 1,155
    Our Chrysler van has enough power to safely get us to and from where ever we need to go. But I will say I will be outgunned by the Honda next to me.......but I'll let him waste his gas....

Absolutly. So many Honda owners complain of bad mileage they are getting with their new vans. Maybe it's because of a lead foot. I don't even try to beat anyone from the turning of a red light. I try and drive as if I have an egg under my foot. Keep the RPM down and get as good as gas mileage as I can. But I know if I need to floor it to pass, it's there. I also didn't buy a 2004 Civic for the ride or speed. I buy my vehicles to do the job I want them to do. Both do the job I bought them for, very nicely.
  • 1997montez341997montez34 Posts: 201
    Listen, we're talking about Minivans. Most, but not all, minivans are driven by families with young children. The last thing I would want to do with my infant daughter in the van is test cornering limits or crack off full-throttle acceleration runs. I try to drive safe and smooth.

Yes the Ody is a great van. It should be...it's the most recently designed. One would expect the newest design to be the "best".

BUT the DCX vans have so many nice things about them that the Ody and Sienna don't have for a similar price point, or even at any price. I have never once regretted my decision to get the Dodge. In fact as time passes I like it more.
  • dennisctcdennisctc Posts: 1,168
    According to CR, we're talking 1.5 seconds!!! Honda vs. DCX (8.6 vs 10.1). 1.5 sec is not worth thousands of dollars to me!!! My lowly V6 returned 25mpg too!! that's in conjunction with my 4 spd auto!!! She's not even broken in yet....4000 miles only!! I see on the Honda boards people whining like crazy about poor mpg!!!
    Yes the Ody is a great van. It should be...it's the most recently designed. One would expect the newest design to be the "best".

I disagree. I think the Honda is a very good and nice looking van. It should be because it has the latest design, but it's far from being a great van. What makes a minivan a great van, is that it looks nice, does all the things you want it to do and does it better than any other, with little or no big problems. Honda is a good looking van and does a lot of things well, but is far from doing everything it's designed to do and do it without a lot of problems. The complaints on this board concerning gas mileage, rattles, wind noise, doors that won't close right, prove it's not a great minivan. But it is a very good minivan.
  • socalawdsocalawd Posts: 542
    Hey this is a forum I have alot of iformation about. I owned a 2001 Dodge Caravan for 52 months until I bought a Ody EX-L with RES for $29,500. I configured a 2005 Town&Country and the cars direct price was 28,500 and still no VSC. I bought the Dodge Caravan because they said withe the new design it would score a good in the IIHS offset crash tests also it was very inexpensive. Wow was I surprised that it scored a POOR!!! Seems that the gas tank disengaged from the body and spilled fuel(water). They fixed this but not on mine. Only ones made later!!!Than it only scored a acceptable. The 3.3liter engine was a slow pig and I got 16.5MPG. First tank on the Ody 20MPG. I think people think they'll get 28 MPG causing alot of discontent I will be happy with 20-22MPG. Also on the side test(on the dodge)the door opened. I had 7 non maintenece/recall service trips on this van in 50,000 miles. Ranging from weatherstripping to strut problems to airbag light on. Also the front brkes where bad( replaced at 27,000 miles) my wife drives it and on or last car 1995 intrepid got 50,000 miles before a brake job. The car also felt like it wasn't gonna stop when I applied the brake. Also when getting on the highway I had to really be careful because both accelleration and braking where suspect. The odyssey isn't perfect(no stow and go, no passenger power seat,but the safety good ofset 5 stars ( I know the door on the driver side opened but still it scored 5 stars and I wear my seat belt)all around stardard VSC, Side air bags(Mercedes did a study of there E series with and without and it seems the single vehicle crashes where reduced by 20%+ with the VSC compared to without) IMHO the best way to be safe is to be able to aviod a accident. The dodge braking and lack of acceleration made me afriad for me and my family. We all make choices in our life. The outcome of them is what matters. My choice may be flawed but I'd make it agian with all the information I have now because safety and comfort is what I,m looking for not 0-60 speeds. I think overall I have owned 5 dodges the quaility is better and the reliability will be better too,maybe not by much because dodge is a more mature(been out since 2001/ small update 2004) product and has been much better. Even the famed 41TE which I had to replace at 44,000 miles on my Intrepid seems to be better if only it was smoother shifting.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,697
    I really do. People should buy and drive what THEY like and not what someone else thinks they should.

That said...I think a couple of things are being overblown here quite a bit...no big deal, happens in these forums a lot. Trouble is, some people read and believe these words.

First of all, how is there a 10,000 prive difference between comparable DC vans and Odysseys? Take another look and see for yourself.

And to the poster who continues to harp about the recalls he calls major...get over it. Honda simply spotted a POTENTIAL problem and jumped on it. You love to beat this to death it seems.

Finally, consider LONG TERM reliability and LONG TERM resale values. DC vans die at the auctions and Odysseys are in high demand. People are especially afraid of a high mileage DC van. I deal with this on a daily basis it seems as I try to get acceptable bids on DC vans.

Finally, I don't think the 0-60 times mean much to a minivan buyer. Both are more than adequate. Stopping distances are much more important and the Odyssey has a definate edge in that catagory.
    First of all, how is there a 10,000 prive difference between comparable DC vans and Odysseys? Take another look and see for yourself.

I am probably an exception....but I got all rebates ($4.5k total), employee price ($4k) and check out the price of a dealer install tow package for a Honda!!! But even at $4500, the DCX van would have been a winner. Compare to the typical Honda attitude of "here's the price, take it or leave it".

And to the poster who continues to harp about the recalls he calls major...get over it. Honda simply spotted a POTENTIAL problem and jumped on it. You love to beat this to death it seems.

That would be ME!! and I'm going to keep pointing this out but since dae wants to just talk certain beneficial numbers and can't comment on 3 recalls, i'll continue to monitor the recalls of both. Sooo Honda, out of the goodness of their heart issued the recalls instead of quietly notifying dealers i.e..service bulletin?? And these "potential" problems aren't minor if you read them....all could result in CRASH! Hardly Minor. You're "recalls are a good thing" spin doesn't sell here.

I don't know what you base your long term reliability on but all 3 DCX vans have been very reliable, with nothing more than normal upkeep. As far as resale value, I'll take the money I save over the Honda, put it in a bank for 4-5 years with interest, add that to my resale value and see who comes out ahead.

According to CR, Honda has a whopping 4ft 60-0 stopping advantage, but the same as the new Uplander tested. It's not like the DCX has no brakes!
    Well the 2001 Dodge which is really the first year of this version. Had 6 safety recalls. Please inform us when Honda catches up. So far none of these issues have caused a accident . They seem to not look at the smoke Dodge waits for the FIRE!! The 2004 had a power steering line that was rupturing and causing fires/Loss of control. Looks like the recall was for alot of calls better to catch something fast than after you already made a half a million cars. I'm suprised you've had no issues with your Dodge products but hell someones gotta win the lottery. The resale was horrible on the van. Seems that none wanted it. I will be keeping this car for 10+ years so I liked all the features. On the IIHS web site you can find the drivers deaths per 100,000 cars registered. The Odyssey(old model was top of the heap) My Caravan was the middle of the crowd.
    ALL Honda dealers have that attitude. I know I don't.

I'm glad you've had such good luck with your Chryslers. When I say long term I'm talking about driving one 150,000-250,000 miles without a bunch of things going wrong. Hondas are vdry good at doing that.

Lastly, if you've even driven 70 MPH on a crowded Calif freeway and had to stop quickly that 4 feet could make a big difference.
    Well if you wanna play that game.....go to intellichoice.com and look up the recalls for 1999 Oddy. According to them the 2001 DCX had 3 recalls. The 1999 first year Oddy had 7. I'm really sooo confused here.....we all know that Hondas are so superior???

And you can have "opinions" like waiting for FIRE....but I know Honda denied issues for years. No different than DCX. Honda still doesn't have issues with the 5 spd autos from the last generation do they???
    I use the NHTSA database. Recalls aren't the only thing about a car, thats the point I was trying to make. I don't feel superior and I believe the gap has been close by US manufactures in the last few years( My Dodge was made in Canada and the Honda in Alabama funny right. LOL). The 5 speed was a problem and the dealers are taking care of it for 100,000 miles my Father in law had his replaced for free at 50,000 miles and they say the new one is good for 100,000 more dodge didn't do that with my Decrapid. One of those hidden warranty things. The dodge was a ok vehicle but for safety content(structure/features/accident avoidance) I'd go with Honda. When Dodge does a new redesign I may wish I had one of those but right here right now. Honda is the best for ME(safety/comfort)!!!
    The dodge was a ok vehicle but for safety content(structure/features/accident avoidance) I'd go with Honda. When Dodge does a new redesign I may wish I had one of those but right here right now. Honda is the best for ME(safety/comfort)!!!

The 2005 DGC has a five star rating in all three NHTSA Crash Tests. With no doors flying open. Honda has a five star rating, but only has done one of the three tests.NHTSA front, driver/pass. test. Dodge owner has complained of seat comfort or smoothness of the ride.
    Didn't "fly" open. If the driver was wearing a seatbelt it wouldn't have made a difference anyway.

So much drama here!
    If it had been the Dodge/Chrysler that had the door open in that crash test, don't think for a minute Honda owners wouldn't have rubbed it in. Plus, Honda has only taken the one NHTSA Crash Test, the frontal one, that she got a five star rating She still has to take the frontal offset and side driver/rear. My 2005 Dodge got a five star rating in all three of those tests and didn't have a door open.
  • daedae Posts: 143
    Lastly, if you've even driven 70 MPH on a crowded Calif freeway and had to stop quickly that 4 feet could make a big difference.

Yep. Especially when it is 12 feet.

Some people are not well familiar how multi-car pile ups happen. Good for them. I also plan to stay out of any such accident. Keeping distance, paying attention and driving cars with best possible handling available.
    Aren't you at higher risk if your vehicle can stop faster than the guy behind you, and they don't realize the "superior braking" of a Honda minivan??? Seems like a rear end job to me?
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    LOL dennisctc. :D You guys on this Ody vs Dodge thread are so entertaining. :shades:
    Hey!! If some can claim that recalls are a good thing, I'm going to spin the slightly longer braking distances are better!!!
    One has to wonder why Honda has only taken the one NHTSA Crash Test, and not the other two. Could it be they tried it in their own tests and found something wrong and wants to fix it before taking the official test?
    I called my brother just a few minutes ago and asked him about his minivan. I was wrong in it being a Dodge, it's a Plymouth Caravan. A 1993, with 128,000 miles on it. He said outside of normal servicing, he replaced the freeze plugs on the engine last year and replaced brakes and rotors about two and a half years ago. It's a 3.3, which I drove once and it didn't seem to lack power to me. Although I didn't get to drive it up in the mountains like I did mine.
    Maybe it's like John Kerry not wanting to release his full military records til 6 months after the election, and even then, only to one Newspaper. LOL...Mr. "Nuanced" turned out to be worst student than Bush, who Libs call all sorts of names.

And look at what GM did to their vans to improve crash performance...put a big ugly nose on the front end!!! UGLY!!!! but it does work
    I have also been trying to find the crash tests for our 2004 Honda Civic, since it had a new body style. The 2005 is the same. But they still haven't tested it. The older style did quite well. But I know nothing on this one and the wife drives the Civic.
    What are you talking about? The 2004 Civic had some very minor changes only.

Crash test results are the same as before...just great.
    Oh now the Honda conspiracy theories. BTW both Bush and Kerry are unfit to run this country, and the grades where the same with Bush falling off and Kerry's getting better. Hey do you think Bush actually went to school or was he working on a campaign somewhere?? Mr. I won't volunteer for overseas duty. I don't understand the superiority of people saying I paid 10,000 less and got more, like if you bought a Honda you got ripped. I wanted VSC on my next car so dodge was out. Mine was a ok vehicle and I have few regrets. Oh I did see at the end of 2005 the star ratings improved are you sure you got the later model year. You sure you got the later model Marine2???? I'd check the born on date!!! BTW is the offset crash test still marginal.

Here is what IIHS has to say about it VSC.

ARLINGTON, VA -- About half of the 28,000 fatal passenger vehicle crashes that occur each year involve a single vehicle. Equipping cars and SUVs with electronic stability control (ESC) can reduce the risk of involvement in these crashes by more than 50 percent.

Now a look at deaths per 100,000 registered vehicle.
    Of course this data is for older vehicles. Gives me a good idea though.

Honda Odyssey(1999-2002)- 19
    Chrysler Town & country(2001-2002)- 38
    Dodge Grand Caravan(2001-2002)- 52
    Dodge Caravan(2001-2002)- 83 (worst of the group)

When I bought me Dodge it was fine but I wouldn't have done it if the crash tests had been out. Cars are better all the time and car ownership is a very personal decision. In my mind we all did what's best for us. I just want to put out why I chose Honda this time.
    So all drive safe and take care, the main way to stop traffic incidents is to be aware and drive with your and everyone else's safety in mind. BTW I love a good debates, So thanks Dennis.
    Yes, I did get the later make. I'm glad you noticed that Chrysler wasn't satisfied with a four star rating, so the went back and improved their van and got it tested again and got four, five star ratings. Honda still has only had one frontal test done on their new van. Why is it Chrysler can have theirs tested 6 times in one year but Honda can only do one? Why didn't they do the other three?
  • macakavamacakava Posts: 775
    "Seems like a rear end job to me? "

Sounds like an opportunity!

From the a memorable bumper sticker,
    "Hit me. I want to retire early" :)
    What do you mean?? The 2005 Odyssey is a BEST pick by the IIHS for offset. and it got 5 stars all around. What tests did Dodge do the Honda didn't please specify and give me a link. I'd like to see it.
    BTW both Bush and Kerry are unfit to run this country, and the grades where the same with Bush falling off and Kerry's getting better.

Actually, Bush's final culm score was one point higher than Kerry's. And it was the dems running around claiming their guy was more educated, smarter, nuanced etc...while attacking Bush constantly as an idiot, stupid etc.. No one claimed Bush was Einstein! No wonder Kerry withheld his records til after the election, and even now only allowed the Globe to review parts of them!! Here's what the Boston Globe wrote:

But newly released records show that Bush and Kerry had a virtually identical grade average at Yale University four decades ago.

In 1999, The New Yorker published a transcript indicating that Bush had received a cumulative score of 77 for his first three years at Yale and a roughly similar average under a non-numerical rating system during his senior year.

Kerry, who graduated two years before Bush, got a cumulative 76 for his four years, according to a transcript that Kerry sent to the Navy when he was applying for officer training school. He received four D's in his freshman year out of 10 courses, but improved his average in later years.

I don't understand the superiority of people saying I paid 10,000 less and got more, like if you bought a Honda you got ripped.

I paid $10k less and in some areas i'm missing some features i.e... VCS, 5spd auto etc. But then I have some features Honda's don't like knee airbags, Stow N Go, power vent windows etc... I personally didn't feel the Honda was worth that price difference. If the DCX had been same price I maybe would have the Honda.

FYI - I live near Detroit. Everyone can find "employee discounts" on Big 3 vehicles if they look around. If the Big 3 follow GM extending employee discounts to ALL, Honda/Toyota will have to offer something or lose market share.
    http://www.automotive.com/Subdom/model.aspx

Sorry, I went back today and seen they have all those tests listed, but I only found one listed yesterday. and that was the frontal crash test. They did not list the side, frontal offset, or the side,driver/rear.

According to what is listed now, both vans got all five star ratings in all the tests.
    Fair enough Dennis. The VSC is something I couldn't live without. Also there is good and bad Honda dealers. The ones in OC Ca. were a [non-permissible content removed] to deal with they were starting at 2000.00 over MSRP and not budging. The ones Inland a little needed the business so I paid $180 over invoice. I had to drive to Fontana but the experience was good. My local dealer is Family Honda. They wanted to treat me like my family and rip me off. I ran away as fast as I could. IMHO if you too far left or right you start to lose focus of what is really going on. We need a goverment that is addressing the issues and not trying to make a big deal about petty crap. Please fix Social security, Medicare, Go back to Paygo, train the troops in Iraq and pray it works out, we need hard work(as Bush say) but all I see is partisan politics and the blame game.
This discussion has been closed.