Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey vs Dodge/Chrysler minivans

Comments

• socalawdsocalawd Member Posts: 542
    I use the NHTSA database. Recalls aren't the only thing about a car, thats the point I was trying to make. I don't feel superior and I believe the gap has been close by US manufactures in the last few years( My Dodge was made in Canada and the Honda in Alabama funny right. LOL). The 5 speed was a problem and the dealers are taking care of it for 100,000 miles my Father in law had his replaced for free at 50,000 miles and they say the new one is good for 100,000 more dodge didn't do that with my Decrapid. One of those hidden warranty things. The dodge was a ok vehicle but for safety content(structure/features/accident avoidance) I'd go with Honda. When Dodge does a new redesign I may wish I had one of those but right here right now. Honda is the best for ME(safety/comfort)!!!
  • marine2marine2 Member Posts: 1,155
    The dodge was a ok vehicle but for safety content(structure/features/accident avoidance) I'd go with Honda. When Dodge does a new redesign I may wish I had one of those but right here right now. Honda is the best for ME(safety/comfort)!!!

The 2005 DGC has a five star rating in all three NHTSA Crash Tests. With no doors flying open. Honda has a five star rating, but only has done one of the three tests.NHTSA front, driver/pass. test. Dodge owner has complained of seat comfort or smoothness of the ride.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Didn't "fly" open. If the driver was wearing a seatbelt it wouldn't have made a difference anyway.

So much drama here!
    If it had been the Dodge/Chrysler that had the door open in that crash test, don't think for a minute Honda owners wouldn't have rubbed it in. Plus, Honda has only taken the one NHTSA Crash Test, the frontal one, that she got a five star rating She still has to take the frontal offset and side driver/rear. My 2005 Dodge got a five star rating in all three of those tests and didn't have a door open.
  • daedae Member Posts: 143
    Lastly, if you've even driven 70 MPH on a crowded Calif freeway and had to stop quickly that 4 feet could make a big difference.

Yep. Especially when it is 12 feet.

Some people are not well familiar how multi-car pile ups happen. Good for them. I also plan to stay out of any such accident. Keeping distance, paying attention and driving cars with best possible handling available.
  • dennisctcdennisctc Member Posts: 1,168
    Aren't you at higher risk if your vehicle can stop faster than the guy behind you, and they don't realize the "superior braking" of a Honda minivan??? Seems like a rear end job to me?
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    LOL dennisctc. :D You guys on this Ody vs Dodge thread are so entertaining. :shades:
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    Hey!! If some can claim that recalls are a good thing, I'm going to spin the slightly longer braking distances are better!!!
    One has to wonder why Honda has only taken the one NHTSA Crash Test, and not the other two. Could it be they tried it in their own tests and found something wrong and wants to fix it before taking the official test?
    I called my brother just a few minutes ago and asked him about his minivan. I was wrong in it being a Dodge, it's a Plymouth Caravan. A 1993, with 128,000 miles on it. He said outside of normal servicing, he replaced the freeze plugs on the engine last year and replaced brakes and rotors about two and a half years ago. It's a 3.3, which I drove once and it didn't seem to lack power to me. Although I didn't get to drive it up in the mountains like I did mine.
    Maybe it's like John Kerry not wanting to release his full military records til 6 months after the election, and even then, only to one Newspaper. LOL...Mr. "Nuanced" turned out to be worst student than Bush, who Libs call all sorts of names.

And look at what GM did to their vans to improve crash performance...put a big ugly nose on the front end!!! UGLY!!!! but it does work
    I have also been trying to find the crash tests for our 2004 Honda Civic, since it had a new body style. The 2005 is the same. But they still haven't tested it. The older style did quite well. But I know nothing on this one and the wife drives the Civic.
    What are you talking about? The 2004 Civic had some very minor changes only.

Crash test results are the same as before...just great.
    Oh now the Honda conspiracy theories. BTW both Bush and Kerry are unfit to run this country, and the grades where the same with Bush falling off and Kerry's getting better. Hey do you think Bush actually went to school or was he working on a campaign somewhere?? Mr. I won't volunteer for overseas duty. I don't understand the superiority of people saying I paid 10,000 less and got more, like if you bought a Honda you got ripped. I wanted VSC on my next car so dodge was out. Mine was a ok vehicle and I have few regrets. Oh I did see at the end of 2005 the star ratings improved are you sure you got the later model year. You sure you got the later model Marine2???? I'd check the born on date!!! BTW is the offset crash test still marginal.

Here is what IIHS has to say about it VSC.

ARLINGTON, VA -- About half of the 28,000 fatal passenger vehicle crashes that occur each year involve a single vehicle. Equipping cars and SUVs with electronic stability control (ESC) can reduce the risk of involvement in these crashes by more than 50 percent.

Now a look at deaths per 100,000 registered vehicle.
    Of course this data is for older vehicles. Gives me a good idea though.

Honda Odyssey(1999-2002)- 19
    Chrysler Town & country(2001-2002)- 38
    Dodge Grand Caravan(2001-2002)- 52
    Dodge Caravan(2001-2002)- 83 (worst of the group)

When I bought me Dodge it was fine but I wouldn't have done it if the crash tests had been out. Cars are better all the time and car ownership is a very personal decision. In my mind we all did what's best for us. I just want to put out why I chose Honda this time.
    So all drive safe and take care, the main way to stop traffic incidents is to be aware and drive with your and everyone else's safety in mind. BTW I love a good debates, So thanks Dennis.
    Yes, I did get the later make. I'm glad you noticed that Chrysler wasn't satisfied with a four star rating, so the went back and improved their van and got it tested again and got four, five star ratings. Honda still has only had one frontal test done on their new van. Why is it Chrysler can have theirs tested 6 times in one year but Honda can only do one? Why didn't they do the other three?
  • macakavamacakava Member Posts: 775
    "Seems like a rear end job to me? "

Sounds like an opportunity!

From the a memorable bumper sticker,
    "Hit me. I want to retire early" :)
    What do you mean?? The 2005 Odyssey is a BEST pick by the IIHS for offset. and it got 5 stars all around. What tests did Dodge do the Honda didn't please specify and give me a link. I'd like to see it.
    BTW both Bush and Kerry are unfit to run this country, and the grades where the same with Bush falling off and Kerry's getting better.

Actually, Bush's final culm score was one point higher than Kerry's. And it was the dems running around claiming their guy was more educated, smarter, nuanced etc...while attacking Bush constantly as an idiot, stupid etc.. No one claimed Bush was Einstein! No wonder Kerry withheld his records til after the election, and even now only allowed the Globe to review parts of them!! Here's what the Boston Globe wrote:

But newly released records show that Bush and Kerry had a virtually identical grade average at Yale University four decades ago.

In 1999, The New Yorker published a transcript indicating that Bush had received a cumulative score of 77 for his first three years at Yale and a roughly similar average under a non-numerical rating system during his senior year.

Kerry, who graduated two years before Bush, got a cumulative 76 for his four years, according to a transcript that Kerry sent to the Navy when he was applying for officer training school. He received four D's in his freshman year out of 10 courses, but improved his average in later years.

I don't understand the superiority of people saying I paid 10,000 less and got more, like if you bought a Honda you got ripped.

I paid $10k less and in some areas i'm missing some features i.e... VCS, 5spd auto etc. But then I have some features Honda's don't like knee airbags, Stow N Go, power vent windows etc... I personally didn't feel the Honda was worth that price difference. If the DCX had been same price I maybe would have the Honda.

FYI - I live near Detroit. Everyone can find "employee discounts" on Big 3 vehicles if they look around. If the Big 3 follow GM extending employee discounts to ALL, Honda/Toyota will have to offer something or lose market share.
    http://www.automotive.com/Subdom/model.aspx

Sorry, I went back today and seen they have all those tests listed, but I only found one listed yesterday. and that was the frontal crash test. They did not list the side, frontal offset, or the side,driver/rear.

According to what is listed now, both vans got all five star ratings in all the tests.
    Fair enough Dennis. The VSC is something I couldn't live without. Also there is good and bad Honda dealers. The ones in OC Ca. were a [non-permissible content removed] to deal with they were starting at 2000.00 over MSRP and not budging. The ones Inland a little needed the business so I paid $180 over invoice. I had to drive to Fontana but the experience was good. My local dealer is Family Honda. They wanted to treat me like my family and rip me off. I ran away as fast as I could. IMHO if you too far left or right you start to lose focus of what is really going on. We need a goverment that is addressing the issues and not trying to make a big deal about petty crap. Please fix Social security, Medicare, Go back to Paygo, train the troops in Iraq and pray it works out, we need hard work(as Bush say) but all I see is partisan politics and the blame game.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Hey gang - let's keep the discussions on cars and leave politics out of it.

Many thanks!
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I think that this is impressive and very lucky for a Chrysler Corp. product. We owned two Chryslers :lemon: , and learned never to buy one again due to the suspension problems, dangerous transmission failures, and numerous creaks, rattles, and instances of poor interior quality. :lemon:

Oh, and, by the way, Plymouth made only the Voyager and Grand Voyager van. Dodge makes the Caravan (and Grand Caravan). Chrysler now manufactures the Voyager as the 'bargain basement' Caravan alternative, but only Dodge made the Caravan. Just thought I would clear that up....

(Although a mistake on Chrysler's part by putting the wrong badge on a car wouldn't surprise me at all, and frankly, would be one of the least of that company's manufacturing problems! :sick: )
    You are right in your subject line..."One has to wonder..."

One has to wonder why someone would pass over a brand of vehicle with proven reliability, superior power and fuel economy, a Best Pick from the IIHS crash test people, and one of the top resale values in its class.... Could I be wrong? Let's examine the facts...

Resale Value : Original Price on a 2000 Odyssey EX without NAVI system -$27000
    Current Resale Value (according to Intellichoice): $15862
    Original Price on a 2000 Dodge Caravan ES -$29405
    Current Resale Value (according to Intellichoice): $10895

No, couldn't be that....B/C he just lost seven grand in five years from new price to resale

Horsepower maybe....
    2000 Odyssey horsepower-210 ; 2005 Odyssey horsepower-255

2000 Gr. Caravan horsepower-180 (in top form) ; 2005 Gr. Caravan horsepower- 215

Nope....Honda wins that battle too...hmmm. I know, I bet it's the quality or new car value, right?

Intellichoice's Best Van under $25,000 : Honda Odyssey LX

Intellichoice's Best Van over $25,000: Honda Odyssey EX

Wow, the Dodge loses that too. Seems like a good thing that Dodge offers no less than a thousand dollars off the sticker at any given point, because Honda mops the floor with it.

Will you buy a Honda over a Dodge now? It really doesen't matter to me. But you can't say I didn't warn you!
    NB: More accollades/awards for Ody from,

1.) CR
    2.) C & D
    3.) Money
    4.) Kiplingers
    5.) Edmunds - "The BMW of minvans"
    6.) Motor Trend
    7.) Road & Track
    8.) And others

The accollade speaks for themselves. When they all sing the same praises, nothing else matters.
    Oh, and, by the way, Plymouth made only the Voyager and Grand Voyager van. Dodge makes the Caravan (and Grand Caravan). Chrysler now manufactures the Voyager as the 'bargain basement' Caravan alternative, but only Dodge made the Caravan. Just thought I would clear that up....

(Although a mistake on Chrysler's part by putting the wrong badge on a car wouldn't surprise me at all, and frankly, would be one of the least of that company's manufacturing problems! )

Sorry but DaimlerChrysler Corp builds both the Dodge Caravans and Chrysler Town n Country in the same plants. They no longer build a Voyager low cost version, please check their website.

Wow, gotta admit the Honda folks are vocal here!! Just check out the number of Honda Posts on just this website, then consider the total number of minvans they've actually sold over the years compared to DCX!!! They're passionate about their Minivans for sure!!

For a majority of people here, it's a MINIVAN!!! Point A - B transport plain and simple. This is my third DCX van. The previous two were company vehicles - base model 96 and 99 Dodges. I abuse my company vehicles, we turn em in after 70,000 miles. Neither had any issues outside of normal wear and tear. That was enough for me to purchase a 2005 DGC SXT as a personal vehicle. I'm loving it....quiet, smooth, powerful enough (better towing capacity than a Honda/Toyota) and it was $10,000 less than an Oddy EX.

I'll take my $10,000 savings, put it in a bank for 4-5 years with interest, add it to my resale and see whos ahead then!!! Hell, even if its just $5000 difference Honda would lose. I pity the Honda folks who paid above MSRP for their's!!!!
    One has to wonder why someone would pass over a brand of vehicle with proven reliability, superior power and fuel economy, a Best Pick from the IIHS crash test people, and one of the top resale values in its class.... Could I be wrong? Let's examine the facts...

LOL....so far all this proven reliability, superior power and fuel economy.....3 recalls in less than a year, ALL serious compared to Dodge's 1 so far. Superior power that gets you to 60 mph in a whole 1.5 seconds faster than a Dodge (we're talking stupid minivans). From what I see on this board and others, the Oddy is dismal for 2005.....Body issues, Door issues, Steering Issues, AC Issues, Mileage issues, Nav issues, Radio issues....all on top of the 3 recalls. It's fun to check out the Honda Problems chat!!! I highly recommend it for people in the market for a new van.

Resale Value : Original Price on a 2000 Odyssey EX without NAVI system -$27000
    Current Resale Value (according to Intellichoice): $15862
    Original Price on a 2000 Dodge Caravan ES -$29405
    Current Resale Value (according to Intellichoice): $10895

No, couldn't be that....B/C he just lost seven grand in five years from new price to resale

Nice to take MSRPs and make up "figures", but how many Dodge owners actually paid sticker even back in 2000?? Then tack on the mark up Honda dealers were charging!!!! I looked at Oddys back then!!! Ouch!!! $2000 above MSRP??? There's this perception that Oddys are soo vastly superior.....but the current one is becoming quite the :lemon: yet some are willing to pay over sticker, take in their vans for recall after recall. It's fun to check out the Honda Problem areas!!!

I see Dodge is back to selling tons of Minivans again with Stow N Go!!!
    "The previous two were company vehicles - base model 96 and 99 Dodges. I abuse my company vehicles, we turn em in after 70,000 miles. Neither had any issues outside of normal wear and tear. That was enough for me to purchase a 2005 DOGC SXT as a personal vehicle. I'm loving it....quiet, smooth, powerful enough (better towing capacity than a Honda/Toyota) and it was $10,000 less than an Oddy EX."

As company vehicles where costs not driving/handling performance are emphasized more, the DOGC SXT serves its purpose very well. Being cheap relative to the others, they are the obvious choice by taxis and tradesmen in their daily jobs.

If I had to use a minivan for my daily trade, the DOGC SXT would be my choice as well - it would hurt more to abuse a more expensive vehicle.
    Looked at Cars direct(they have good prices not great but good),122.00. If you want side airbags its 24,006.00 The Honda Odyssey Ex is 26,681.00. The differance is 3,559.00 base which dosen't get you the side airbags and 2,0675.00 with side airbags if you could get them. So, your telling me you paid 16,681.00 for a Dodge GC SXT. You shoulda done my deal. I woulda got a Odyssey for way less than invoice. Check the customer ratings on the dodge and the reliability rating in consumer reports. All the problems yet we're so Happy go figure. Those problem boards are all about complaining. So do you think you'll hear people say they have no problems probably NOT!!!!
    Fair enough that Dodge has to cut their prices to sell their cars, but my family's 2000 Odyssey EX was bought below sticker (yes, brand new). While we had to wait for three days to get it, we have never waited in the service department for anything more than an oil change. Something that cannot be said of either of our Chryslers. As far as my aunt's 2005 Odyssey EX goes, it has 10k miles on it now, was purchased for under $27k (which, by the way, is $2,000 below sticker [kinda like your Dodge, huh?]), and has had no technical issues to speak of. May we call a truce and say that neither automaker is perfect? I didn't mean to rile anyone up. Can't we all just get along?

P.S. I have never had to use the lemon law to get my car repaired with Honda unlike my experience with Chrysler :lemon: ...But then again, I have never taken my Honda to be repaired...Life goes on... :shades:
    I am aware that the same corporation makes all three (or six if you seperate Grand and base model) minivans. If you read closely, I am referring to nameplates, not DaimlerChrysler. The Dodge "nameplate" didn't put the name "Dodge" on the same car as one with the name "Voyager", and vice-versa with "Plymouth" and "Caravan". Sorry if I confused you. ;)

Referring to the last line of your post, I too pity the folks who paid above MSRP for their vehicles. My aunt's brand new Ody EX lists for approx $28,500, and she paid less than 26,500. I wonder who has paid over MSRP for the new Odyssey's? Our 2000 model even came in under sticker. Who'd-a-thunk it? :)
    I know there are many of you that think the Ody is the greatest thing on four wheels and that there is nothing as reliable and good as theirs. But let me tell you. One only has to go to Honda 2005 and Dodge/Chrysler, 2005 sites here at Edmonds to see how much of a myth that is. You have practically no one complaining of the 2005 Dodge/Chryslers. Even Edmonds says it's built tight as a drum. No Chrysler/Dodge owners are saying their doors don't close, there is wind noise, their seats are uncomfortable. Their radio sounds tinny. None of them have said their minivans don't have enough power. Their vans are working the way they were designed to work.

Yes, you have some features on your Honda, that Chrysler doesn't offer. But Chrysler has stuff on their van Honda doesn't offer. Important things like auto door locks, battery power saver and stow-n-go seats. They have a motor in the doors that not only closes the sliding doors, but then draws them up tight after they close so they fit tight against the weather stripping so they don't rattle or let in wind noise. They have turn signal lights that come on when the side door is open to warn motorists that someone is about to exit the van on that side. Slidding doors that close easy no matter if you use the motor or do it by hand.

Yes Chrysler has had some troubles with some previous minivans and you have read a lot of complaints about them. But Honda and other Japanese makes have had their share of problems too. You don't hear that many complaints only because they don't sell that many minivans. Chrysler has for years, sold more minivans than all the Japanese companies combined. I would be willing to bet if you put all the complaints from all the Japanese companies together, they would be as many as there is on the Chrysler vans. Earlier this year, Chrysler sold their 11,000,000 minivan. How many has Honda, Toyota or Nissan sold? There are still thousands upon thousands of first generation Chrysler minivans still on the road, running strong after over 20 years. When you put out over 11,000,000 minivans you can expect some complaints. You can expect a heck of a lot less if you've only put out 1 or 2 million.

I could care less if a Honda can beat me to the next light by 1.6 seconds or can make a U turn two feet shorter than I can. I do know I got a real good buy on my van and saved thousands. I save even more with my zero percent financing. I got all the goodies I wanted on my van that Honda or Toyota don't even offer unless you plunk down thousands more.

Will your minivan be worth 4-6 thousand more at trade in time than mine? Probably so. Although I think Stow-n-Go is really going to raise the value of these new vans. But I saved over that from day one when I bought it. And I will always be ready to load anything you can put in a minivan in a moments notice. You can't.

So let's just keep track of the complaints of the 2005 Dodge/Chrysler owners compared to the 2005 Honda owners and see who is complaining the most. Even though they will out sell Honda by a big margin again.
    Could it go into the new generation Dodge/Chrysler minivans?

Bionic Breakthrough? DCX says its 70 mpg, diesel-powered car could meet U.S. emissions DaimlerChrysler AG executives on Tuesday unveiled a four-passenger, diesel-powered concept car that they say would earn a fuel economy rating of 70 mpg and would meet tough new U.S. tailpipe emission standards. The inspiration for its design is an odd undersea creature called the boxfish, which engineers and designers found has some of nature's best streamlining and a structure that is lightweight but strong.
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    For those people who are "into" crash test ratings, here is the site http://www.safercar.gov
    Geezzzz, you'd think if DCX's quality was soooo bad, with 11 million owners out there, we'd rule this chat site with complaints and problems???

Will their Honda be worth $4-6k more at trade in?? With all the recalls and problems?? Who knows? What do you think $5k in a savings acct (or my 401k) be worth in 4-5 years??? $7-8k??

I love my Stow N Go - no more pulling seats out and trying to store them somewhere in my garage. It'll be interesting to see when and how Honda/Toyota come out with a version? From what I've read, it'll require a totally new frame/chasis (just like the millions DCX spent)....something Honda wasn't willing to do this time. They just took the spare tire location, and put in a lazy suzie.

They have turn signal lights that come on when the side door is open to warn motorists that someone is about to exit the van on that side. Slidding doors that close easy no matter if you use the motor or do it by hand.

I love this feature!!!! Also love my power rear windows. Mine came with power rear hatch (bought off lot) which I didn't think I needed, now I can't imagine life without it :)

Best thing for me - the tow package - factory installed HD radiator, tranny, oil and steering coolers....$625!!!!

So far 4k miles, 25 mpg highway (should improve), quiet, handles great....i'm lovin it :) now time for an egg mcmuffin!
    Check the customer ratings on the dodge and the reliability rating in consumer reports. All the problems yet we're so Happy go figure.

You can get a Honda below invoice!!!????
    Dennis,

Don't you get tired of saying the same things over and over and over ad nauseum?

For crying out loud...just buy the minivan you happen to like the best!
  • just4fun2just4fun2 Member Posts: 461
    I guess if the Honda Ody people can't take it when their vehicle has competition then they should move on. Dennis keeps trying to educate the Ody buyers about the "true" cost of the Ody vs. the Chrysler, but some people refuse to listen and repeat their same story over and over again.

Buy what you like, but let the rest of us enjoy a healthy debate.

Chrysler has the "edge" right now with the Stow system just like Honda did with their "Magic" seat. Give credit where credit is due, Chrysler is riding the wave for now.
    Dennis,

Don't you get tired of saying the same things over and over and over ad nauseum?

That's the way we feel when Honda owners try and make it sound like the Ody is the greatest thing since the invention of the automobile and never has to be worked on. It's defect free. (Of course it's a Honda) If Honda didn't put it on, it must not be worth putting on. It's like you guys have been programed to believe it.
    Why are you Chrysler owners so combative?

As far as "true" costs...just wait until trade in time when nobody wants to bid on your Chrysler. We get hit at least a thousand or two "back of book" every time on these. forget what the guides say. This is reality on these.

Now, if you keep your cars ten years it isn't much of an issue.

If you truly think the Stow n' Go seats are useful---GREAT!

This is why restaurants have menus. What is good for one won't please the others.
  • just4fun2just4fun2 Member Posts: 461
    When someone disagrees with you you say that they are combative. You have said it to me about my previous posts. You don't seem to understand how to respond to a comparison if Honda doesn't come out on top. It is never Honda's problem it is the customers perception, bad seat, doors that open up in a crash testing, recall notices and the list goes on and on and......

Again, it is Chryslers turn at bat and they have hit a home-run, get over it!
    This is a place to talk about the positives and negatives of your minivan buying experience. Hopefully it can help people ask questions about what they want from the car they buy. I liked the dodge Caravan(2001 I owned for 52 months) it was a ok vehicle, but definitely not great. Handled ok and never left me stranded. I did bring it in for alot of problems. Airbag light on(second day I had it), radio broken, wheatherstripping, strut replaced, 2 recalls, and power steering pump noise. All in 50,000 miles. Maybe mine was different but consumer reports says it a car to avoid(2001-2002) . I also found the seats too soft got fatigue(in my butt no less) after a while, and the interior was falling apart. Tryed to sell it in the paper but after a few weeks decided to trade it in. Paid 15,800.00 Trade in 4,700.00. The blue book trade in was 5300.00(Good condition but with all the paint chips and the second row back of seat coming apart it wasn't too good LOL).

I was wondering why the owner satisfaction and experts reviews are so high on the honda.

Here is what Consumer reports has to say.

2005 Honda Odyssey EX- Overall test score Excellent
    HIGHS -Engine and transmission, ride, handling, interior flexibility, fit and finish, standard safety equipment.
    LOWS - No telescopic steering wheel
    2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT- Overall test score Good
    HIGHS - Interior flexibility
    LOWS - Seat comfort, interior trim materials, some controls, course engine

The list of awards and praise go on. Even the site that marine gave me for the crash data says the seating comfort is EXCELLENT!!

Now to be fair nothing is perfect and I have all of 1000 miles on my Honda. Will it be a better car(I hope so, but nothing is a given) The two trips to San Diego 200 miles round trip were oh so comfortable.Will be going to Sedona this next weekend, wow the RES is gonna be nice.

It looks like the new Honda has at least two issues that could be a real drag. Rocks seem to be taked out the A/C and the wheatherstripping(Not the doors closing)at the bottom of the sliding doors are getting bent over and not sealing properly. There are companies that sell rock gaurds for about 60.00 bucks (none for the 2005 Odyssey yet but if this is a problem they'll make one). And hopefully honda will redesign a retrofit weather strip.

BTW I love the Stow and GO seating. But that alone isn't enough for me to buy another Dodge. Also I love the Magnum and the new Charger(I'd love to have a RT in my driveway). But the Dodge GC just didn't have the comfort/handling/features that I wanted.
    "BTW I love the Stow and GO seating. But that alone isn't enough for me to buy another Dodge. Also I love the Magnum and the new Charger(I'd love to have a RT in my driveway). But the Dodge GC just didn't have the comfort/handling/features that I wanted."

I feel the same as you, having rented 60+ minivans over my past 2yrs of business travels, mostly DGCs and some T & C (some fully loaded with less than 10 miles on the ODO). The sporty handling and spirited performance of the Ody cannot be matched. But I have never had reasons so far to remove the second row seats in my Ody for transporting anything.

Always glad to get back to driving the Ody.
    As far as "true" costs...just wait until trade in time when nobody wants to bid on your Chrysler. We get hit at least a thousand or two "back of book" every time on these. forget what the guides say. This is reality on these.

The reality is, the thousands I saved more than compensates me for lower resale value. In 4-5 years I'll sell it for whatever, take the money out of the bank.....and buy another. It's not rocket science here....just common sense.
    When someone disagrees with you you say that they are combative. You have said it to me about my previous posts. You don't seem to understand how to respond to a comparison if Honda doesn't come out on top. It is never Honda's problem it is the customers perception, bad seat, doors that open up in a crash testing, recall notices and the list goes on and on and......

Again, it is Chryslers turn at bat and they have hit a home-run, get over it!

EXACTLY!!!!! If you point out their 3 recalls and problems, actual substantial items you get nothing in response because they have none. But that's being "combative". Meanwhile we get attacked on little 0-60 times, or turning radius, or how to substantiate feelings like "my DCX vans were POC" or "always taking to dealer"???
    I must admit that stow-n-go made a large part of my decision to buy the DGC. But that was not the only reason by a long shot. It had the overhead computer and rear power hatch that Honda or Toyota couldn't give me for anywhere near what I paid. Plus zero financing.

A five speed tranny, an engine that was a second or two faster, turning two feet shorter or stopping four feet shorter didn't enter my mind and I doubt it did most other Honda buyers. Most bought because Honda is a good looking van inside and they have been programed to believe nothing goes wrong with a Honda. I'm sure many didn't even drive it more than a couple of miles before buying it, or some wouldn't now be complaining of the front driver's seat hurting their back.

Honda is a very good minivan. But it's got it's faults. I think the new 2005 Dodge/Chrysler minivans could be the best Chrysler has ever put out. Their engine is old, but it's proved to be strong and very reliable. It seems like Chrysler's problems with their trannies are behind them now and their four speed shifts smoothly and the minivan gets pretty good gas mileage using that combination.
    There are hardly anyone complaining of any major faults with the 2005's and it's been out for over a year now. The van is rattle and wind noise free, is quieter than any van Chrysler has ever made and it's "tight as a drum".

Though many of you Honda owners think it's going to lose most of their value compared to Honda, I think the 2005 with stow-n-go, will be in big demand when they start hitting the used car market and will not devalue like other Chrysler/Dodge vans have. I know my brother can hardly wait to buy one, because he doesn't want to buy one new.

One thing that has made Chrysler vans devalue more and not Honda, is that Chrysler puts out so many more than Honda which drives down price, because of competition and because Chrysler builds minivans from the top of the line to a bare bones model. Honda and Toyota do not fill the needs of people who just want or can afford a new minivan with just a few options on it. It only makes sense if looking for a minivan and there are a lot more to choose from with one make than there is another, the one that has the most, is going to have to sell it cheaper because there are other places to go to get the same van cheaper. It's works the same with coin collecting. The less there is, the more valuable it is. One big problem with making 11,000,000 minivans.
    Again, it is Chryslers turn at bat and they have hit a home-run, get over it! <<

Well they might have hit a home run with the stow and go seating. But in overall design the car is growing old. Hell its got a live rear axle and leaf springs. There is not a single expert on edmunds or anywhere esle that rates the 2005 GC higher than the 2005 Odyssey. But if you put in price and you keep a car 10 years. I can see it be very close in overall value.

A homerun they may have hit with stow and go, but 1 run in the bottom of the ninth when your down by 5. Still dosen't win the game.
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    Why are you Chrysler owners so combative? <<

You only see it that way because you are biased. I have never seen you reply to some of the outrageous claims by Honda owners here (like say, a minivan owner that doesn't like to drive "spirited and engaging" is an "old fart". Why's that? Is that not combative? Do you agree with that statement?
    Minivans aren't a hot market segment. Most peole dont know the dif between a solid axle or wishbone suspension, and don't care as long as it rides decently smooth and is quiet. Experts may value such things but it seems consumers are voting with $$$$. The only game I see is market share, and the new DCX Minivans and LX cars are help DCX increase it.
    Sorry, but I have done this. I thought dae went over the top with some of his/her postings and I said so.

And, no, I don't agree with that statement. In emergency handling, I would prefer the handling of an Odyssey way over that of a Chrysler.
    Hey if you just went to this forum you'd surely think minivans were a hot market segment. I keep hearing about all the recalls and you also reference the 1999 Honda Odyssey vs the 2001 Caravan(which isn't much different fromthe one now). Seems that Edmunds did a long term study on both of those vans. You should read them pretty good stuff. Recalls problems Dodge- 10 Honda -3. I'll be damned if it isn't the same problems as mine just switch A/C condenser for weather stripping. I will not sit here and say all is perfect with honda.

Here's how I see the advantages(not in any order)
    Honda
    1. Ride and handling
    2. Fit and Finish
    3. 0-60 times
    4. Standard safety equipment
    5. Brakeing
    6. Engine and transmission
    7. Fuel economy

Dodge
    1. Price
    2. Interior flexibility
    3. Mature product(possibility of less recalls)
    4. More available options

I think the experts are right on the Caravan is a GOOD but a little old. The price difference and available options make it attractive for some buyers.

But for my money 180.00 over invoice,the EX-L with RES works great for me!!
This discussion has been closed.