Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• xr5speedxr5speed Member Posts: 13
    I just got a 5-speed XR (what a fun car to drive) and have been shopping security systems. My car has the remote door and hatch locks and I really don't want to schlep two remotes around for the car. Toyota wants $400+ just for the parts for the alarm. Any suggestions/warnings?
  • jeproxjeprox Member Posts: 466
    try to buy brand name units, it may cost you a bit more but usually less expensive than the OEM units. try to buy the ones with anti-grabbing code. when u install a security system, usually both OEM and aftermarket remote will both work. just leave the OEM remote at home and use the alarm remote.

the OEM system can be disabled but installers dont usually do this coz' they may screw something up and its more work. so just leave the OEM remote at home and use the alarm remote.
  • plantsandbirdsplantsandbirds Member Posts: 8
    I'm thinking about buying a white Matrix XR, and one of the few sticking points is the cloth seats. Does anyone out there have the "leather interior upgrade with preferred suede inserts"? I can't picture that at all. I'm curious about color and the suede aspect. Somehow I can't picture a suede car seat--is the whole thing suede?
  • stillageekstillageek Member Posts: 114
    I got the Leather/Suede interior from Gulf States Toyota Group. The leather is on the outside of the seats and the suede is in the middle. The majority of the seat is suede. It is very nice and feels much better than cloth and better than the leather in my previous Cadillac Catera. Again the only part that is leather is the outer edges of the seat.
  • jmac15jmac15 Member Posts: 1
    Ordered my daughter a Toyota cupholder ashtray for her 2003 Corolla. Order information stated that a retainer was required to complete installation. The retainer is a plastic disk that apparently fits in the bottom of the cupholder before you put the ashtray in. Am really puzzled as to what purpose it might serve. Does anyone know?
  • plantsandbirdsplantsandbirds Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the info--it really sounds nice! I'm still wallowing in indecision, but you may have pushed me over the edge toward a Matrix. :)
  • kris0877kris0877 Member Posts: 7
    I'm signing the deal for my new Matrix base with "B" package tonight. I requsted to have the 16" alloys replaced with 15" steel from 2003 Corolla (P195/65R15). The dealer gives me $1000 CND discount. I'm also getting undercoat for $288. Is it a good deal?
  • LuzerLuzer Member Posts: 119
    Undercoat is a rip off.
    Owners manuals (my Vibe) states not to do this.
    I believe my 99 Toyota Sienna said that somewhere also.

Why the 15"?
    Car was design for 16" - just a thought.
  • steve285steve285 Member Posts: 8
    I'm planning on replacing the factory front door speakers in my 2002 Corolla with Infinity 6000cs component speakers.

Please share your experience if you've ever removed the front door panels on an '02 or similar Corolla. Where are the fasteners located? Did you break any?

Thanks in advance to all who reply. I'd like to hear from as many of you as possible.
  • hurler4hurler4 Member Posts: 104
    Did anyone get the carbon fiber dash for the Matrix? If so, do you have any photos of it? I'd like to see what it looks like before getting it.
  • mpg5mpg5 Member Posts: 68
    considering buying a matrix XRS, but am concerned with lack of low end torque. would it make more sense to buy an XR and have aftermarket supercharger installed? does anyone have performance numbers and/or the cost of having a supercharger installed?
  • norcalphilsternorcalphilster Member Posts: 1
    just got my xrs with 16' wheels and rims, but i want to upgrade to 17' wheels and tires....are they any good websites for this?
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• kris0877kris0877 Member Posts: 7
    I'd like to listen to my MP3/CD portable player through car stereo, unfortunately my Matrix doesn't have the Line In jack in it. I used casette adapter in my old car, but Matrix has only CD player. I tried wireless FM transmitter with very poor results. Is it possible to install the Line In jack wihtout affecting warranty? What are the other options?
    Thank you
  • wfriendwfriend Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 5 speed XR about one month ago and now I am experiencing back pain when I depress the clutch. If I move the seat closer so I don't have to stretch so far I am too close to the steering wheel. I am 5'9" so I am not really short. I am constantly moving the seat to get comforable. Has anyone had this problem? Also, has anyone used pedal extendors or know where to get them? Thanks for your help.
    You'd have to be pretty skilled to install a line in jack. A easier solution would be to burn a few regular CD's (thats what I do). Another option would be to purchase an FM modulated CD changer. Many can read MP3's now. A cheap one with a wired remote would run you $130-200. A wireless remote maybe $80-120 more....plus installation.
  • grttgrtt Member Posts: 2
    Anyone have any thoughts about the various protection options/package they offer you?

- undercoat
    - paint
    - seat covers
    - rust
  • matthew525matthew525 Member Posts: 52
    No, No, No, and No - especially from the dealer where you'll suffer an added mark-up. If you are really interested in these products and I'll admit for some harsh driving conditions they may be necessary - yet go direct and cut out the middle (dealer) man.
  • hurler4hurler4 Member Posts: 104
    My 2004 Matrix finally came in!! It's a black XR with a 5-speed and just about every option except ABS and side air bags.

So far, I love the car. The only slight complaint is that it is very easy to scrape the bottom, even when being careful. And I doubt anti-chipping tape would protect that (it's not THAT strong).

Anyways, I am thinking of two more options for the car. The dealer said that mud guards would break off right away if I had them put on. This seems a bit far-fetched to me. Does anyone have them installed? If so, are they drilled on or is it easier than that to install them?

Second, I am thinking of getting a strut tower brace for slightly better handling. Has anyone installed one? If so, do you simply bolt it onto the struts, or do you have to do something with the struts (take screws off the struts, etc.)?

Thanks!
    I installed a STB on my XRS and love it. Installation was a breeze. Just pull off the bolts on the struts, put away the black metal retainers and install the brace. I bought mine off ebay for $40 and it was money well spent. Cornering now involves less body roll and I feel more in control.
    Appreciate the feedback, I'll give the STB a try also.
  • ata3001ata3001 Member Posts: 30
    I own a 01 Corolla S which would be the same as the 02 Corolla. I installed Infinity 6002i (6 1/2") speakers in the front doors of my car. Because the original size is 5 1/4". The larger speakers don't set into the doors as deep which causes the inside of the door panels to rest against the speakers. The speakers in turn cause the door panels to vibrate badly. I will soon be replacing my speakers again, this time with the correct size. Hope this helps.
  • drummerboy_200drummerboy_200 Member Posts: 44
    Anyone know a good online site that sells part for a 04' corolla?
  • qinmoonsqinmoons Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97' Corolla DX. A light on the front-right corner doesn't work. I want to buy a bulb and replace by myself. But I found there are 3 bulbs on the corner. One is the bigest one which can produce very strong beam; the second one is the turn signal; what's the name of the third one? (it's just beside the strong beam lamp but much smaller. i want to replace this). Thanks
  • cwikonecwikone Member Posts: 1
    I'm also looking for a reliable, low priced accessories web site for my new 04 Corolla LE. If anyone has some recommendations, please post.

Thanks and Happy Holidays.
  • laksjlaksj Member Posts: 19
    I'm bored to tears with the interior of my 2002 Corolla and would like to find out if there are any after market upgrades to it. I've seen some "wood" panelling products on eBay, actually just one, but would like to know if anyone actually upgraded that generation Corolla's interior aftermarket and whether the result was satisfactory. I'd also be very interested to know if anyone changed the steering wheel on their 1998-2002 Corolla and whether the 'S' version steeing wheel would fit in my 'LE' version of the same year!

I'd appreciate any feedback.
  • mikeli_77mikeli_77 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 corolla which i just recently installed the infinity kappa 60.5cs component speakers in and they fit just fine. door panel is easy to get off. unscrew the srew in the inside door handle (the one you open the door with)then pop the top off the top part of the soft handle in the middle of the door and there is 3 screws there you must remove.(one of the snap on fastners on the door handle did break when i took it off. it was hard to get off i had to use a flat head screwdriver and pry it off. only one out of three broke so it was ok) then the rest is just those snap off holders which pop out easily. you should have no problem taking the panel off. if your going to install them yourself you will have to drill the rivets off of the stock speakers to get them out and then if your speakers came with a mounting adapter you will have to most likely drill new holes for atleast 2 ends of the adapter braket and install it. if you want to make your car sound better install dynomat on the inside of the door panel. it is a little hard because you have to fold it over to get it to the inside of the door panel but it will be worth it. also buying a pair of speaker baffles will be worth it also. crutchfield.com has them for not that much money. they help keep out dirt and moisture. they also sell speaker wire adapters so you dont have to cut the stock wire harness. if you are installing an amp and running your own wires. on the wires that it attached to the speaker there will be a clip that fits into the oval hole that is on the door panel. take it off the wire and electrical tape it to the end of the wire adapter that is left in the door and snap it into the hole. that will help keep the wire out of the way of the window and from it maybe moving around and causing any tapping noises or anything. also leave the plastic that covers the door intact. i took mine out and i get a slight rattling noise when i shut the door now. i have to reinstall it. if you plan on installing speakers in the rear deck make sure you check the size yourself. crutchfield.com and many other web sites along with the person who installed my soundsystems computers told me that the rear deck could take a 6 1/2" speaker (crutchfield even told me i could fit a 6 3/4" speaker in) but the rear deck on my 2000 corolla only came with 5 1/4" speakers so i had to have the audio place cut the holes bigger to fit the other set of infinity kappa 60.5cs component speakers i bought for the back. if you have not already installed them you will like them. they sound nice.
  • mikeli_77mikeli_77 Member Posts: 3
    you should have no problem changing the steering wheel to the S model. the S model is the same as the LE and other models except it has a few different features to make it look sporty which i think is ugly. the ground effects they put on the car looks horrible on the front and back. but anyway. you could always take the car to a local upholstry store and have them recover the door panels and they could probably do the steering wheel as well. don't buy the carbon fiber or any other dash upgrades off of ebay (especially that dash paint. it chips and peels and will be more of a heartache than it's worth) because they are only stickers. they will make the inside of your car look cheap if you put them on. you could put seat covers on them but buy from a good place like coverking or someone else you will pay about $400 for the seat covers but they are real not that fake leather crap they sell in pep boys and on ebay. i have seen the corolla's rehapolstered before and if you choose the right colors they come out good.
  • diogodiogo Member Posts: 6
    Everywhere I look, dealers always seem to include the "Toyoguard Plus Protection Group" which is basically roadside assistance plus "vehicle VIN etch glass protection, exterior paint sealant undercoating and interior protection application.." Is this of any use, or is it just a wax job by a different name? Since almost every vehicle in my region that matches my preferences (le + abs) comes with that, I need all the info I can get so that I can argue with the dealer. Unless this is something phenomenal or exclusive to toyota dealers, I see no need in paying 500 bucks for it.
    Exclusive to their pocket book...I passed on both of my 03s.
  • carglowcarglow Member Posts: 91
    Anyone install a K&N air filter on the current generation Corolla?

Did it increase your mpg?
  • tlouietlouie Member Posts: 20
    I just installed wood dash kit in my 2002 corolla and what a diffrence! I also installed custom stainless steel door sills & seat covers. It is plush like a lexus. I put aftermarket alloy wheels with a plus one upgrade, It really makes the car stand out now and is more responsive with bigger tires.
    No noticable increase in MPG but it does feel more responsive with more air forced thru engine.
  • toguytoguy Member Posts: 20
    Hi tlouie,

Please provide more info on where you had your interior upgrade done. I also own a 2002 Corolla and love everything about it except the interior! I heard there are cheap/flimsy interior wood kits sold on the Internet and I don't want to be stuck with one of those. Also, r u located in Canada?

Any details would be much appreciated..
    I installed the kit myself, bought it off of ebay for roughly $125 for japanese redwood 27 piece kit. They are well made and only took me 30 minutes to install it all. I am in US, NYC. I had previously also installed a kit in my other vehicle a nissan pathfinder and also get good comments about it. Just when you buy make sure the seller has alot of positve feedback, they are usually a big merchant looking to increae sales via ebay. good luck
  • ski46ski46 Member Posts: 24
    try www.toyotaparts4u.com or www.conicelli.com
  • beowulf7beowulf7 Member Posts: 290
    Thanks, I was just about to ask on behalf of someone I know who bought a new 2005 Toyota Corolla. That first site seems to be pretty good. :)
  • mlewandowskimlewandowski Member Posts: 18
    Yes, I put one in last week. Now I hear more engine
    noise when accelerating. The car averaged 29.2 m.p.g. on the first tank of fuel, I'll post more results later.
  • joe249joe249 Member Posts: 95
    Can you get heated seat kit for 2005 LE?
  • scorrpioscorrpio Member Posts: 13
    I got a '96 Corolla DX. Long ago, I replaced stock audio (AM/FM/Tape) with a Sony. Originally, I left the factory connectors in place, and just stuck wires from Sony's harness into them, but they kept working loose, so at one point, I replaced the thing with a 12-pin molex. I doubt I threw out original connectors, but I can't find them anywhere. I am planning to sell the car, and a friend is interested in the Sony, so I figured i'll put original Toyota stereo back in. But now I got no idea how to hook it back up, and I can't seem to locate the pin layout for it. I have a Corolla manual from Chilton, but it does not have the info I need. Anyone can help? Thanks!
  • torr310torr310 Member Posts: 41
    Hi, I know there are a lot experts in the forum. Hope you could kindly give me some advise.

I own a 2003 Corolla LE. I am not very satisfied about my tires. The grip seems not good. I was thinking to upgrade my rim to a 16" inches to increase the grip but I also with to keep the good fuel economy. Or it is better to keep my current 15" rims(for fuel econ reason)?

What kind(brand/model) of tire should I get to replace the manufacture ones to improve the grip? Also not to burn out too quick.

I am not really looking into performance tires. I just want myself to be safer in the occasionally rush driving.

Thank you very much for helping me. Any suggestions are appreciated! :)
  • fgf001fgf001 Member Posts: 98
    You are correct, the OEM tires leave a lot to be desired. We bought two '03 LE's and I changed both to

205 60 15 Yokohama Avid tires. It is an upsize but it barely affects speedometer/odometer readings.

Both cars were immediately transformed into much more pleasurable machines. Cornering, ride,braking, and stability in the wind all improved. Best money I've spent on these cars, I recommend it. Also you won't spend near as much money as a new wheel/tire combo.
  • john500john500 Member Posts: 409
    Good suggestions by fqf001.

Increasing the rim diameter makes the ride harder and does very little if anything to handling and fuel economy. The diameter changes (15 to 16" for example) are done for appearance only (more rim and less tire shows).

Increasing the tire width (i.e. 195 to 205) puts more rubber on the road. This results in dramatically better g ratings in the slalom tests. However, fuel economy may decrease slightly (should be less than 1 mpg). The overwhelming factor for wet weather traction will be the weight distribution of the car, which is a function of the car (i.e. more weight in the front on a FWD vehicle will have better wet weather traction) and not the tire.

Although moderately expensive, the Yokahama/Nitto tires are a good solution and cheaper than a new set of rims.
  • fgf001fgf001 Member Posts: 98
    Agreed concerning the theoretical MPG loss. In use we can't discern any difference in MPG. Even if 2MPG was lost it would be worth it for the improved traction. Cornering, wet traction, all are improved over the OEM tires. I also installed the TRD strut brace afterwards and it further improved handling.....

so much so that a 90 degree turn is now fun not scary. The tires and the brace transformed the car into a fun machine to drive overall.
  • ski46ski46 Member Posts: 24
    I read somewhere that the K&N does increase airlow considerably over a stock filter, however, it doesn't filter that well. Toyota sells a high performance type filter under their TRD nameplate for about $50, it's supposed to add 2 horsepower. Accel has recently come out with one also called Kool Blue for about $40 and they claim it filters better than the K&N.
    I would like to have an engine block heater installed in a 1ZZFE (1.8L) '05 Corolla LE 5MT. My dealer told me he won't do it cause the Toyota part will not fit and will leak. Is that true?

Thanks,

Mike
    I bought an '05 LE 5 speed in October of "04, after four hundred miles I knew the stock tires were crap so I replaced them with '03 Celica sixteen inch rims and BFGoodrich Traction TA's (205/55/16). The most noticeable improvement is in lateral high speed stability during interstate lane changes or under heavy cross winds. And the car looks better, gas millage really hasn't diminished much, but I'm running Amzoil synthetic and the K&N air filter, and 35 pounds of air in the tires. I'm getting around 410 miles per tank, (13.75 gall. fill-up = 29.8 m.p.g.). By the way,the gas tank holds more than 13.3 gallons, I think it has the Celica tank ( 14.1 gall.).

Hope this helps.

Mike
  • carglowcarglow Member Posts: 91
    Did you recalibrate your odometer after changing wheel size?
    No.
    Using miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html I found the

difference between tire circumference to be .04%. At 59.8 actual mph my speedometer would read 60 mph. Not enough to worry about.