Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• 88tcfx88tcfx Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1988 Toyota Corolla FX and I wanted to replace the current engine (4ALC-8V). Don't get me wrong the current engine is in great condition and runs great, but it doesn't have alot of horsepower. The acceleration is slow too. It will only really pick up at higher rpms. Probably because it's engine is not fuel injected. The other thing is that they hardly have ANY high performance upgrades for that model; cat back exhaust systems, etc. (They usually only have it for the FX-16 and mostly for the GTS models.) What I was thinking about doing is dropping in a later model corolla engine in or maybe even a Matrix engine in. Does anyone have any experience with Late Model Drop-Ins and could give me some suggestions?
  • emzeeemzee Member Posts: 1
    Hi Folks,

I am the very proud owner of a 1992 Toyota Corolla 4-door sedan with a 5-speed standard transmission (with 240K-plus miles on it and the original clutch!!). A very
    kind person is gifting me a used, working radio/cassette player (the original one gave up the ghost a long time ago).

I wonder if someone could point me in the direction of finding out how I can take out the original radio/cassette player and replace it. It doesn't look too obvious, but I'd really like to do it myself, if I could.

Thanks for your help!!
  • cards_200cards_200 Member Posts: 44
    Considering a new CE that has powe door locks (Convenience Package) - but need remote keyless. Has anyone added this as an after market? Approx. cost? Would it be better to go with dealer install option?
  • numb41numb41 Member Posts: 2
    I would sure like to replace my standard wiper control with an intermittent wiper control on my 97 Corolla Plus SD. Is this possible? Is it a difficult DIY project?

Also, how about a new cluster c/w a tach?
  • leoktel1leoktel1 Member Posts: 4
    Emzee,
    Two things will set you on your way to a simple replacement.

1. Haynes Repair Manual
    2. Radio wire harness illustration from www.installdr.com

Also, you may want to purchase an adapter kit with harness, however the poor mans way is to snip the wiring harness off, strip the wires and connect using electrical tape or solderless connectors.

I just purchased a 92 sedan myself and replaced the stereo with a used clarion and I also install new speakers because the originals had rotted out. New system is awesome! Good luck!
  • kemperr1kemperr1 Member Posts: 1
    I would like to install a hands free kit for cell phone use such as the Nokia Ck-7w (see link at end of message) in my 2005 Corolla LE with the 6CD changer. Systems like the ck-7w have a "mute" functionality when properly connected to a car's radio. However, I have read that some Toyota radios lack a lead or pin for muting. Does anyone know if the radio has a mute lead/pin? Has anyone had such a kit installed with this radio?
    Thanks!

http://www.nokiausa.com/phones/3120/0,2803,acc:1|accCategory:40,00.html#MBC-15S
  • corpchimpcorpchimp Member Posts: 5
    After getting broadsided by a woman blowing through a stop sign and totaling my well-maintained 1997 Corolla (in fact, I had just spent $800 the week before getting the 120K mile service done and replacing the timing belt, etc), I am shopping around for a 2005 Corolla LE w/ manual transmission, side airbags, ABS, moonroof, spoiler, and Audio Value Package. Two dealerships in my area informed me that they could not locate such a vehicle in the N. CA region. . .

One sales manager suggested looking for a Corolla S (of which they have more manual transmissions) and having the underbody kits removed, since they're not to my liking. Has anyone heard of or done this on their vehicles? I'm worried that it might look odd, for some reason.
    Thanks!
  • leyzurelaleyzurela Member Posts: 13
    I know you can get it done, but I wouldnt waste time and money modifying a brand new car. usually if a dealer doesnt have a certain type of car in stock they can tranfer it from another dealership, or you can wait till a car of that type arrives. Other than that I would look into purchasing online, although you have to be very careful with this due to fraud. I would ask the dealership to remove it for you if thats what they suggested and have them remove it at no cost to you. I dont think it would look odd at all, but that also depends on whether the body will look the exact same as the LE when you remove them. I just bought a corolla S, but I liked the underbodykit. I got an automatic though. Its too bad cause the color I wanted first (indigo blue) had all the features I wanted but it was manual and I'm too scared to drive it in Arizona. I wonder if you can contact an out of state dealership and request them to ship the car to you? You should look into that!!
  • ohmygoshohmygosh Member Posts: 66
    Just picked up my Corolla S with all options and it looks good. They tried to sell me the alarm system for $550 which I passed on. They brought it down to $450 and I still passed. Thought I would buy the club for about $65. Any suggestions?
  • jimstrenkjimstrenk Member Posts: 56
    I've been driving a used 1990 Corolla for the past two years. On a couple of occasions, I've managed to forget to turn off my headlights. :cry:

Is this car supposed to issue a warning sound that headlights are on, as I leave the vehicle? :confuse:

If not, is there a simple way to install a idiot signal to warn me that I've left the headlights on?? :confuse:

Thank you in advance for any advice or suggestions regarding this subject. :D
  • dattebayodattebayo Member Posts: 2
    My mon had given me her 2000 toyota corrola le over a month ago and it doesn't have a cd player. It has a radio/cassete player. How do I replace that to a cd player? thanks. Im new with cars and all
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    The best bet for you is to take a day to stop at a few electronics stores. Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. They often have installation available as well. I'm sure they'll have stereo's ranging from under $100 to well over $1000 if you look.

Ken
  • amyelizabeth24amyelizabeth24 Member Posts: 1
    Hey, I just got a CD player for my '00 Corolla I just bought. It was a little over $100. They're pretty easy to put in yourself (if you're looking to save money so you don't have to pay them to install it). Just make sure you ask for a 2000 Corolla mounting kit, just a bunch of wires. If you want to try and install it yourself, i can tell you how!
  • dattebayodattebayo Member Posts: 2
    thanks can you?
  • althe3rdalthe3rd Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2005 Toyota Corolla CE. The car has been absolutly fantastic, but I was wondering about a cosmetic thing...

Does anyone know if its possible to take the lower body kit from the Corolla S and put it on the CE? From what it looks like they are the exact same body without the kits but I wasn't sure of any hidden complications. I looked into other body kits available for the Corolla but thought this might be more cost effective since I could get it already color matched from the factory.

corpchimp, i noticed on the last page you were talking about taking off your side skirts and extensions on your S, I would gladly take those off of your hands for you if they are factory black that is. I can't tell you has easy it is or not to remove them since I am no expert but I can tell you it will look fine. Mine looks fine, I just prefer the look of body extensions to not.

Thanks,
    Al
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    why did you not get a S instead?
  • althe3rdalthe3rd Member Posts: 2
    I didn't get an S because I got such a deal on the CE. The reason being is I bought the CE technically used from the dealership, it had 4000 miles on it when I bought it so I got it for about $13,000. Aside from the very low mileage though it had everything else I wanted and was pretty much brand new. It's an all black, power everything, CE. So it hardly feels like a CE especially since I have already helped it out by putting in a few parts including a K&N air filter. With all the options that were already on it the MSRP was closer to around 17,000
    A deal is always cool!

I looked at the CE and S when I got my new xB this past Feb. I could have gotten a CE for super low at 185 (includes 2500 down payment) a month at 2.9%. It was a tempting deal.
  • kaytkayt Member Posts: 3
    Anyone know where I can get some nice mat's for my beige interior LE? They weren't included in purchase.
  • nmrtnmrt Member Posts: 56
    I am following the discussion on relacing the stock air filter with the K&N on a 2005 corolla. has anyone else done this replacement? any appreciable increase in hp? any increase decrese in gas mileage (i get 35 mpg city/hgy combined)? how about difference in engine sound -- louder, softer than before?

thanks.
  • bendover606bendover606 Member Posts: 1
    Please someone explain to me how to intall an 800 watt amp into this car im 16 and dont know much about this so someone please help.
    First of all, why do it. You're just going to lose some hearing.

Although, if you must. Go out and buy a new head unit. Install new head unit. You may need a service book to know where to pull on the dash (like Chilton). Plug Amplifer into nead unit. Buy new speakers so you will not blow up factory ones. Make sure you get the proper size and power handling capability. Find a good place to install amplifier like under one of the front seats, the passenger seat should be empty. Plug amplifier into head unit by going under carpet to the dashboard. Wire speakers to the amplifier under same carpet and dashboard. You may want to also update that wiring to handle the extra power.

Or Just take it to Circuit City or like place and pay them some money to do it for you.
  • kackelykackely Member Posts: 1
    I am in the process of buying a new Corolla S. I was very picky about the color, had to have indigo ink, so the car I ended up with doesn't have all the accessories I would like. Does anyone know if it is difficult to put door sill enhancements on yourself, or even the sporty exhaust tip. I know you can purchase them after market, but are they hard to install?
  • flyinghunflyinghun Member Posts: 1
    Hi there,

I have a 05 Corolla S, its a manual, and i have just put in a K&N Typhoon cold air intake. I wanted to install it, but got a little comlicated with the wiring, so i decided to take it to a proffessional, they had to amke a few more drills on the intake to fit it in there. i was a little worried by this, but as long as they dont touch the engine, i'm ok. Once installed i started the engine, but couldnt hear a difference in sound. So i started driving, the engine sound quite the same up to about 3000 rpm, then the lowhum kicks in, and belive me there is a difference in power. I have read that most people dont feel anything until they put it on a dyno. But you can. Maybe because i race cars, i felt it. But it was worth every penny. As for gas mileage, i havent had as long, so iwont be able to tell you yet (got it done yesterday)
    Hope this helps
  • hocusfocushocusfocus Member Posts: 4
    Anyone ever find an adapter to make the cupholder big enough to hold a regular household coffee cup? Thanks.
  • hocusfocushocusfocus Member Posts: 4
    The dealer has some. I bought the vinyl for $87 bucks. They are custom fit and heavy duty. I think carpet mats are available too.
  • nmrtnmrt Member Posts: 56
    thanks a lot for your reply. i was just wondering actually about replacing the filter not the whole intake as you have done.

enjoy your machine!
  • uwbadgeruwbadger Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 Corolla LE and like mostly everything about it except the fake wood interior trim that comes standard on the LE. I want to replace all of that with the standard black that comes in the CE. There is a panel on each door (area with power lock/window controls) and 3 pieces in the center under the radio/temp controls.

I'm starting to check with service depts about parts needed and what the cost might be, but am wondering if anyone has experience with that. I know other people don't like the fake wood either, but don't know of anyone who has replaced it...

Thanks
  • sdesde Member Posts: 42
    I have an '05 Corolla LE which came with the "Audio Value Package" (as opposed to the JBL Value Package). There are six speakers; four in front and two in back.

There are two tiny black speakers mounted near the the lower front corners of the front windows. These speakers appear to make a very tinny sound; it seems as though they are almost a liability to the overall sound, rather than an asset.

So my questions are a) is this normal for these tiny speakers, or b) might there be something wrong with them that needs repair, or c) if this is the normal sound, is this the sort of thing that can be improved by replacing them with better aftermarket speakers that could be mounted in the same place?

Thanks so much!

SDE
  • stlcardsstlcards Member Posts: 1
    I am awaiting an '06 Corolla S and am going to be puting a lot of interstate miles on it over the next few years and am fearing the bug chips. I live in Illinois so bugs can be a problem. I am thinking of getting a FULL front end bra for it, not the small hood ones, the whole cover. I have seen some sharp ones. Has anybody ever used one of these on a new Corolla? If so which ones are the good ones. I don't know much about bras (cars...) I was wondering if they stay on pretty good, are some better than others? Do they cause problems to the paint underneath. I'll just be honest I could use some advice. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...
  • numb41numb41 Member Posts: 2
    I was wondering if I could install 17" Scion TC rims on my 2005 Corolla CE. Both are 5 bolt, but will it work?
  • 420defo420defo Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone help me find interior parts for my 1980 corolla.
    I just purchased it and i need a few things, sun visors, front seat belts, manual lock latch
    if anyone has any thing else i may need to know about my new car i would love to hear.
    it has 75,000 miles thanks
  • mikegillermikegiller Member Posts: 602
    I am wondering how you install aftermarket front and rear speakers on the 04' Corolla. Any ideas?

I don't wanna break anything, however I'm good with tools.
    Go to the auto part store and look in a Chilton or equivalent book.

Thats what i did when i upgraded my 95 Corolla.
  • mikegillermikegiller Member Posts: 602
    Thank you very much.

BTW, I am still open to suggestion from anybody who has done this before. For those who have not worked on the audio system for the 03+ Corollas, you do not have to go out of your way to answer. :)
  • kptak17kptak17 Member Posts: 1
    Those tiny speakers are called tweeters. They're meant to give off high pitch sounds like bells and whistles.... They're not meant to continually give off sound, they just hit when there's a high note in the music you're listening to. They're the opposite of a subwoofer that gives off bass when there's a low note. They can definetly be upgraded, as any speaker can.

-Ken
  • firsttimeyotafirsttimeyota Member Posts: 3
    I was wondering if anyone knows if skunk2 adjustable coilovers built for 03-04 corollas will bolt up to an 05, or did they change the suspension?
  • sunnisunni Member Posts: 1
    HI,
    I was just wondering if you ever got an answer to this question. If so, could you pass it on?
    Thanks,
    Sunni-
  • coat1113coat1113 Member Posts: 2
    has any one installed an aftermarket stereo . If so how do you remove the factory stereo
  • gjamesgjames Member Posts: 1
    I cannot get my '03 corolla to disarm. put in new battery in remote, no use. I can't start the car, the horn sure works good, though. Being sunday all dealers are closed. I need help. need to start my car!!
  • arnoldjarnoldj Member Posts: 2
    I am looking for a 2006 Corolla shop manual (Toyota or aftermarket), but am having trouble finding one. Has anyone had any luck finding one?
  • arnoldjarnoldj Member Posts: 2
    I am installing a Motorola hands free cell phone kit in my 2006 Corolla and need to find a point to tie in the "ignition sense wire". This wire is supposed to connect to a point that will remain HIGH (+12 vdc) while the ignition is cranking but will go low (0 vdc) when the ignition is turned off. Does anyone know the best location to connect this sense wire?

Thanks for your help.
  • award392award392 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2005 corolla S with just over 3000 miles on it, I'm planning putting an AEM cold air intake on it within the month. Is it worth it to put an air bypass valve in it, or would I be wasting my money? Also, are there any benefits to installing a hypervoltage system? If anyone has any other performance enhancing suggestions I'm interested.
  • beernutbeernut Member Posts: 329
    Yes. You are wasting your money - on ALL of it.

If you want to spend money on performance, buy a performance car.

IMO.
  • award392award392 Member Posts: 4
    I have an 05 S, manual as well and i'm putting an AEM intake on it, where does the filter at the end of the CAI sit in the engine compartment? I'm worried about the filter being exposed to too much water(I live in the rainy state of florida). thank.
  • mlewandowskimlewandowski Member Posts: 18
    Hi Coat113
    To remove the factory stereo:
    1) Unscrew the handle on the transmission shift lever.
    2) Lift up and remove the plastic plate covering the shift lever.
    3) Pull the fan speed select knob out of the dash and remove the black plastic phillips screw.
    4) Pull that plastic plate off, (It does take some effort.) Now you should see the 10mm bolts(3) that hold the radio trim and radio on
    you'll need a 6" or 9" extension for your socket wrench to get them out.
    5) Behind the radio are two standard Toyota wiring harness (White) plugs, press on the center tab to get them out.
    6) Toyota radios are secured to mounting plates on the sides of the radio. Remove the screws, replace the radio, reconnect the harness to your adapter, (Remember the antenna lead.) and reassemble the trim pieces.
    Let us know how it turns out.
  • abc7abc7 Member Posts: 1
    Hello

Just got a ProStart remote starter kit. Looking for a meaningful installation guide, best if designed for Corolla 2005 LE. The one with the kit sucks. Also, can someone suggest where to find electrical charts for Corolla 2005.

Appreciate any help.
  • kalyn71kalyn71 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2006 Corolla CE (4 door) and I was wondering if anyone would tell me a site where I could get some reasonably priced Side Skirts or rear spoiler to put on there.

Thanks!
  • krypticidekrypticide Member Posts: 1
    I've gotten to the point where I've removed the screw behind the knob and the two screws at the base of the dash, but I'm having trouble removing the dash. Does the whole thing come out? If not, how do I get the plate out? I'm afraid of hooking my fingers in the hole for the knob and breaking the plastic.

Any help would be appreciated. (2006 Corolla)
  • kwidlowkwidlow Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Corolla S that I'm trying to take out the factory cd player. It's the 6 disc in dash player that came with it. Is there an easy way to remove this myself? It's an automatic transmission and so the whole unscrewing the transmission shift doesnt work too well for me. I'm trying to install a Pioneer cd player and run an aux cable from the back of the cd player to the front... for an MP3 player hook up. Is there a way I can run it through that extra storage space under the climate controls. Any ideas or is there anyone that can help me out? I've done a simple cd player change out before in my old jeep cherokee... But it's been a while and I'm a little rusty! Thanks!