Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2003-2008 Toyota Corolla Prices Paid and Buying Experience

canadaodyownercanadaodyowner Member Posts: 16
edited April 2014 in Toyota
(including 15% taxes) for 2003 Corolla CE with package 'B', block heater and vin etching is Can$21,900.

Comments

• just_some_guyjust_some_guy Member Posts: 52
    For Matrix XRS Auto

Nav system
    Side Air bags
    Seat Back storage
    Floor mats
    cargo mat
    bumper protector
    All weather guard

$20,851 (USD) before taxes
  • dogtrainerdogtrainer Member Posts: 96
    I got a Radiant Red XR Auto with:
    - All Weather Guard package
    - ABS
    - Cruise
    - 6 disc CD changer
    - Sport Plus package
    - Floor Mats
    - Cargo Mat
    - Rear bumper protector
    - 17 inch wheels

Price:
    MSRP - $19,345
    Paid - $18,848

Because this is a first-year model, I also bought the 7 year/75,000 mile Toyota Platinum extended warranty for $899.

Bought the car at Laurel Toyota Carmax, and I highly recommend them. Ask for Joel Vittori.
  • xr_matrixxr_matrix Member Posts: 96
    Did not pay it yet but agreed to the following:

I got a Titanium Silver XR 5spd with:

- 5Spd

MSRP - 21900.00
    Paid - 21900.00 (However trade-in value is still under negotiation)

In Canada we have no individual options, only dealer installed options. From the dealer I am getting:

- Mini-Receiver hitch
    - 15" black steel wheels from a 2002 Corolla (for the winter, will buy tires later)
    - Bumper protector
  • TupTup Member Posts: 200
    Well, I think I have the Granddaddy of Matrixes....Took delivery on Feb 7 of a Black Base Canadian 5 speed Matrix with the "B" option package....A/c, power locks, keyless entry, alloy wheels. We paid $600 under MSRP or $18,700 plus freight and tax. We ordered this vehicle (our second car next to a Subaru Forester) before the pricing was announced. If I was to do it again I probably would have paid the extra to get the XR but when we ordered we just wanted AC and keyless entry for our second car.
  • scott31scott31 Member Posts: 292
    Matrix XRS 6-speed
    Indigo Ink Pearl
    Charcoal interior

Options:
    Nav System
    All Weather Package
    17" Wheels
    Side Airbags

Accessories:
    Alloy Wheel Locks
    Rear Bumper Protector
    VIP 3200 Security System
    Floor Mats
    Rear Cargo Mat
    Auto Dimming Mirror

MSRP $22,259.00

Agreed price $20,639.00

It will be a while before I see mine....May hopefully
  • cletusredneckcletusredneck Member Posts: 10
    Matrix XR 5 Speed
    Lunar Mist

Options:
    ABS Brakes
    Sport Plus Package
    Side Airbags
    16 inch AL wheels
    VIP Alarm System
    Floormats

MSRP: 18,204
    Agreed Price: 17,144
    Out the door Price: 19,201

Dealer says the order will take from 3-5 months.
  • leafguy2727leafguy2727 Member Posts: 83
    I have an Indigo blue XR auto. Paid cash and he still wouldn't budge. Taxes liscence and all in on the road was

$26500 cdn
  • echowranglerechowrangler Member Posts: 23
    Matrix XR 2wd auto, Super White, stone interior.
    Options:
    AB Anti-lock brakes
    BE Side Airbags
    EJ AM/FM/6-disc CD
    UP Sport Package
    SP Sport Package

Car and options, plus $477 destination charge: $19,677

Actual price paid:

$18,750
    Add Floor mats - no charge
    Doc fee, $175
    Hawaii gross excise tax, $788.42
    License & registration, 104.11

Total out-the-door, $19,817.53
  • gcboyd1gcboyd1 Member Posts: 11
    2003 Corolla CE, black sand pearl, stone interior, all weather guard package (w/power locks), floor mats, cargo net. Paid $15,000 usd. Probably a little high (I'm guessing about $500), but I wanted it NOW and I'm the first one on my block to have one.
  • rickg7462rickg7462 Member Posts: 3
    XRS Auto - Indigo Ink
    Floor Mats
    All Weather Guard
    6 CD Changer
    Side Airbags
    Sunroof

In Columbus, OH. Dealer found it for me and delivered it in about four days.
  • brs12brs12 Member Posts: 3
    I wanted to know when will be the Invoice for 2003 corolla be available.
    I recently checked out the invoice for corolla S 2003 with the options I want at www.kbb.com and they said a price of abt $15200 including the destination charge, but the dealer says an invoice of about $15700 for the same car with the same options.

Also the dealers are not ready to negotiate much since it is a new car. When would the price for this car go down ....
    I dont think I would like to pay so much for a Corolla.

Thanks in advance for any insight ....
  • sar4sar4 Member Posts: 4
    For XR_Matrix: Good idea to get 15" steel rims for winter (especially in salty N.S.). What size of tire are you going to put on them?
  • nvcolornvcolor Member Posts: 9
    Paid $15,608 today for LE Auto with following options: Guard Pkg (CK), Cruise (CL), Radio Upgrade (EJ), Mats (CF). Dealer advertised invoice + $300 in today's newspaper. They told me they had 6 in stock and expected all to sell today. I also paid a $249 advertising charge as well as $180 document processing fee, which are included in the $15,608. Sticker for mine (not including advertising or processing) was $16,557. I am in the Kansas City area. Pretty painless process - I am happy with the deal I got. I do a lot of long distance freeway driving - 35M miles per year - and feel this car will serve me well. I had tested Focus, Sentra, Protege, and Civic. Thought about Lancer, but have seen mixed reviews. Jetta I liked, but I wasn't sold on long term durability, not to mention much higher sticker. I liked the Focus, lots of features for the money, but unsure about durability and quality. All others felt cramped compared to Corolla. I felt the Corolla offered the best value. Another selling point was that it has a timing chain rather than a timing belt. FWIW, I purchased a 2002 Camry LE 4C Auto for my wife yesterday, ABS, keyless, power seats, floor mats for $19,300, just about Edmunds invoice. While Edmunds doesn't have the info yet, Kelley Blue Book does have invoice prices for the Corolla at their site. I am hoping these cars will last us for 6-8 years.
  • friendly_jacekfriendly_jacek Member Posts: 96
    I wonder if anyone has any advice on "dealing" with dealers in Southeast region. I have heard that there is something peculiar about this geographic region. I did my research and decided that 2003 corolla CE is a good replacement for my old Mazda protégé. I printed a decent offer from carsdirect.com (250$ below MSRP) and I am planning to ask the dealer to at least match it. Unfortunately, all cars on the lot have worthless options (including $610 Toyo Guard). I guess I will have to ask for factory order or similar to get my options. It sounds like some dealers request a deposit for such an order. Is it reasonable to object to this deposit? Also, how long it takes to get delivery. Thanks,
    Jacek
  • friendly_jacekfriendly_jacek Member Posts: 96
    BTW, does anyone have any experience with ordering through carsdirect.com?
    I used once carorder.com and was moderately pleased but it does not exist anymore (I think).
    Thanks
    I'll probably get flamed by Scott (Southeast salesguy) but my advice is go somewhere else if you can. Alot of that added stuff the dealers don't have any choice about, it's added at the port. And I think some of the additions are done rather unethically. For instance on the Matrix XRS, Toyota has a 17" wheel option for $150 MSRP. But if you buy from Southeast they don't put the Toyota 17s they put another brand, for $1199. They also put on a different rear bumper protector that they are charging MORE for.
  • readytobuy8readytobuy8 Member Posts: 22
    03 le ,With cruise control, 5 sp, Silver. It had what they call the extra mile pakage they try and get around 900.oo for it, I did not pay for it but I did get it. it consist of the mats, pinstrip window etching, roadside asst. for 3 yrs a trunk mat
    15,495.00 car
    968.43 tax
    33.81 dealer inventory tax
    50.00 doc fee
    109.55 License ,inspection, title
    16,606.79 total
    I paid cash and they never gave me my change so I paid 16,620.00
    It was the only LE on the lot
  • xr_matrixxr_matrix Member Posts: 96
    sar4...please see my post in "accessories and modifications"
  • tomkisttomkist Member Posts: 6
    Matrix XR, Indigo Ink
    Auto
    ABS
    Sport Package (Moonroof, AL wheels)
    Sports Plus (Fog Lamps, Spoilers)
    6CD
    Floor Mats, Cargo Mat, Cargo Nets

MSRP: $19,642
    Price: $18,641

Highly recommend Geweke Toyota in Lodi, much friendly and better deals than any other place we found in the Bay Area. Also, stay away from Palo Alto Toyota as they were totally unhonest in the bargaining.
  • drunkpenguindrunkpenguin Member Posts: 9
    Silver Matrix XR,

Sport package
    Sport package plus
    6CD audio
    ABS
    Floor mats, cargo mats, cargo nets

Paid: 18,700.

Tomkist, looks like we got pretty much the same price point from different dealers. I went to Melody toyota in San Bruno.

BTW, for the rest of the matrix owners here, are you guys sick of hearing people referencing the car model to the movie?

Typical converstaion:
    "I heard you bought a new car...whatcha get?"
    "Oh, I bought a 2003 Toyota Matrix."
    "A 'Matrix'...? You mean like the movie?"
    " *Sigh*....Yes, like the movie..."
  • britton2britton2 Member Posts: 305
    owned for 1 year - paid $14,250 before tax, title, license and processing fee:

has: 4 speed auto
    cruise control
    extra value #1 & #2
    all weather guard pkg
    4 piece floor mats

been a very good car so far
  • hunter_20hunter_20 Member Posts: 9
    Just bought a :
    XR 5 Speed
    Lunar Mist Metallic

AL 17" Aluminum Wheels
    CK All Weather Guard Package
    AB Anti-Lock Braking System
    CL Cruise Control
    EJ Premium In-Dash 6-CD Changer
    SP Sport Plus Package
    CF Carpet Floor Mats
    EF Rear Bumper Protector
    C1 Cargo Mat

MSRP $18,545
    Invoice $16.909
    Paid $17,366
  • inkiinki Member Posts: 15
    I bought mine through my credit union's buying service-- no dealerships, no salesmen!

MSRP for base model + auto [no power package]= $16,155
    invoice: ~$15,483
    price paid: $15,783
    out the door [taxes, fees, tag & title]= $17,044

One or two dealerships had base models at this price; others were slapping on the ToyoGuard paint protection [for an extra $600] and really jacking up the price.
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Good deal, but the car still had to have been purchased through a dealer, the CU just paved the way for you.
  • inkiinki Member Posts: 15
    Yes, it did come from a dealer, but I didn't have to experience "the treatment", which suited me just fine!
    Good work. Sounds like you got the kind of shopping experience some Toyota buyers only dream of.
  • phankanephankane Member Posts: 57
    XR auto
    White (too clean!!)
    Sport package(Roof+Alloy wheels)
    Cruise
    Mat
    + $385 processing fee
    I will join Costco on my next buy.
    Continental tires seem too hard.
  • num1willisnum1willis Member Posts: 3
    ok. i got an XRS with 17inch wheels. Now from my searches at the toyota web site they should be an additional $150. An article on the car in my local paper also had that option listed at $150. The sticker on my car alos said $150. The article in the motor trend (may 2002) (great article you all should get it matrix vs protege and subaru wrx, sorry about the digression) has the option at $150. my dealer told me $450. he said it was a misprint. does anyone know exactly or how i can find out from toyota what they cost???

Heres what i paid US Dollars:

sticker: 20,269
    plus $300 more for 17 inch rims on top of sticker now 20,569
    alarm - about $500
    extended warranty: about $900
    tax $1900

TOTAL: $24236.08
    Your dealer is lying to you. The 17" wheels are 150 MSRP, even Toyota's own website says that. The ONLY difference is if you're in the southeast distributorship where they're not putting Toyota 17" wheels on, instead they're using Enike (sp?) and they're charging 1200 for that. I would suggest IMMEDIATELY calling Toyota and the Better Business Bearu in your area. 450 is a blatent lie. In fact since you've already paid I would suggest getting an attorney if the dealer doesn't refund you the money immediately.
    An XRS with just alarm and 17" wheels should be 20,274 MSRP and 18,282 Invoice before the extended warrenty and tax. If you got any more options than that post them and I'll calculate what the MSRP should be. Or you can go to Kelley's, Edmunds calculator is good but on the matrix it doesn't include some of the accesories like seat back storage.
  • bearabullbearabull Member Posts: 3
    Base 15,365
    dest 485
    adv 250
    fuel 6
    all weather guard 59
    cruise
    sunroof 600
    carpet mats 100
    dealer markup 550
    Total with doc, before taxes 17,666.66
    Used dealersinvoice.com to get info before dealing and had it special ordered as I only wanted the cruise and sunroof as extra features.
  • nivloc1nivloc1 Member Posts: 10
    I'm giving serious consideration of buying a 2003 Corolla S. I spend close to 3 hrs a day commuting back and forth to work so I want all the creature comforts. I have visited several dealership and have not found anything on the lot per se. Not surprising. What did surprise me was talking to a dealer and having him tell me that it's impossible to get all the options on a Corolla. I find this hard to believe. What I have come across, however, is what appears to be a conflict between getting ABS, side air bags, and the sports package all on the same vehicle. All other options are okay. But getting those 3 on the same vehicle does appear to be a problem.

Has anybody else come across anything similar???
    Go to www.toyota.com and use the "Build Your Own" feature. It will guide you to select only what's available in your region.
  • matrixxrsmatrixxrs Member Posts: 4
    Hi

I just came back from a Toyota dealer in NY. I had order the Matrix XRS in March and will be picking up the car tomorrow. I had order the package 6spd, CK, SR, C1, 2Q,GE, EJ, for total of $19,072. But the questing is about the rebate that I was told by Fin Manager that beside the $400 for college graduate he stated he still can save me another $600 with total of $1000, and the catch is that I need to install dealer alarm system that will cost me about $600. Which makes the alarm system almost free. Does anyone has the same experience ?.

Best regard
    Matrixxrs
    Off hand I can't see any reason why a rebate would be tied to getting the car alarm. Also finance managers are notorious for saying you get x, y, and z rebate when you only actually qualify for x. Then when the final paperwork is signed your cost is up a thousand.
  • tooms65tooms65 Member Posts: 1
    Martix
    Indigo Ink
    Power Package
    Cruise
    All Weather Guard
    Floor Mats (we had to get them)

Started at 17,900
    Paid 16,300
    Just ordered a 03 S type with the following options:
    AM/FM/CD w/6 spkrs
    All Weather Guard
    ABS
    Cruise
    Power Pkg
    Side Impact Airbags
    Sports + Pkg
    Sunroof

Paying $18,200. According to the salesman, as of 04/12/02, this is only the 3rd known S-type with these options. The other 2 are in transit (1 to Cincinnati, OH - the other to Tennessee). Now comes the painful 5 week wait.....

To Raybear (re. MSG 33): Started with Toyota's web. Their 'Combination D' had all options but the Sport Plus Package (SP). That was what sent me on my odyssey of available options.

Pretty uneventful in ordering the vehicle. The only grin was where I had to first purchase the cloth floor mats in order to purchase the all-weather rubber mats. Couldn't just buy the all-weather. Canned both. I'll just go to Wal-Mart and buy floor mats there......
  • psnolapsnola Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2003 Corrola LE at Bohn Brothers New Orleans.

Sticker Price: $16480
    Paid: $17000 total (driveout price)

Standard features + cruise control, am/fm 6 speaker, mud guard, 5/ps mats.

White with pebble biege interior.

It was the only one in stock and very hard to find in the Whole New Orleans.

Ask for salesman: Bruce Miller. He will give you a good price.
  • matrixxrsmatrixxrs Member Posts: 4
    Just to inform all Toyota Corolla,Matrix,Rav4 buyers. Toyota offer $1000 rebate for college graduate not $400. This offer is not posted on Toyota web site but Toyota dealer has the informations. Just ask your dealer.
    Not all rebates are the same. Some regions will have one while others do not.
  • wolfgar112wolfgar112 Member Posts: 5
    "Just ordered a 03 S type with the following options:
    AM/FM/CD w/6 spkrs
    All Weather Guard
    ABS
    Cruise
    Power Pkg
    Side Impact Airbags
    Sports + Pkg
    Sunroof

Paying $18,200. According to the salesman, as of 04/12/02, this is only the 3rd known
    S-type with these options. The other 2 are in transit (1 to Cincinnati, OH - the other to
    Tennessee). Now comes the painful 5 week wait....."

Not true, I ordered almost the exact same model, sans the sports pkg a few weeks ago.. ie before the 12th of april and i live in NC. i was told it might take 3 months to get here, but when i checked last weekend i found out it's arriving on the 28th of april, which is roughly a 2 month period from when i ordered it. dealership told me that normally corollas won't come off the assembly line with abs and side airbags unless it's special ordered... i still think that's kind of funny. i reckon they're trying to keep the sticker price down on the models they ship to dealers.

anyway, i got mine for $17,200 (before tax n tag)

corolla S
    auto tranny
    moonroof
    abs
    side baggies
    am/fm with 6 speakers
    all weather guard
    cruise
    power pkg
    toyo guard (i know, but they only charged me $160 for it)
    Sounds like the same car to me...... I can't remember the exact invoice on the one that I ordered ($17,200???) but was real close to Kelly's blue book invoice for the car. Now this is where it got funny.. Dealership added $505 to invoice for charges like National Advertising, Gas allocation (though Toyota only puts in 1.5 gal. when it leaves the plant) and such. They (the Dealership) would not budge on those charges.
    We started at about $1,000 difference and agreed to meet in the middle.

Sounds like you got a great deal... Enjoy the car when you get it. Found out yesterday my car is to be built on May 20.
  • wolfgar112wolfgar112 Member Posts: 5
    Ugh, dealership adding charges... yeah you gotta watch 'em, they'll come up with any reason to pad the bill. Bottom line is they're getting 100% of the holdback on the car since it was ordered and picked up without sitting on the lot. And if you're dealing with a salesman, 3% above invoice is more than enough to expect to pay... they'll get even more incentives from the manufacturer to sell the thing. I had a ford dealer offer me 1% over on a mustang before i decided i did not want the car. My problem was that I couldn't find a solid invoice figure on the corolla when i ordered, but felt that the price i was being charged was far enough under sticker that i didn't inquire about it. There's a lot of 'funny money' involved with a car price, having the power to say no to a deal is a good thing.
  • southernbelle6southernbelle6 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2003 Corolla LE last Saturday. I had test driven the 2002 and had not been impressed, but went back to check the new model. I liked it well enough to make the deal. I only got cruise control, 6 speaker stereo, and the Extra Mile package as options. They wanted $487.00 for the Extra Mile. I traded in a 1993 Nissan Altima that had 98,500 miles on it and lots of nicks and scratches. I wrote a check for $14,310. I really like the car so far though I haven't driven it for a long period yet.
  • drmatrixdrmatrix Member Posts: 1
    Just put down a deposit for a cosmic blue XRS!
    MSRP 20,345

Sunroof
    cd changer
    mats
    bumper protector

Selling price 19,600 +taxes,tags,reg....

I am in NJ, most dealers wanted sticker. I guess I should be happy I got a discount. Can't wait for the 1000 rebate for being a college grad!
  • slammingsxslammingsx Member Posts: 9
    I paid $22,000 for my Wife's and drove it to Myrtle beach the next day. It was load cant get out of its own way I have the six speed with dvd navigation. and VIP alarm they screwed me on my trade in Damn Westbury Toyota **&^%$%#@. All because my wife was set on it she picked it over the WRX sedan just for the navigation. I bet its another sludge machine waiting to happen. Its funny how every toyota dealer has the consumer report saying they are the best brand but when you ask them bout Siena minivan and sludging its like yoou speaking Martian. Oh its the Indiglo Blue.
  • 914914 Member Posts: 15
    Options: FE, CK, CL, PP, SR, SP, and DV. $16500 plus tax.
  • tom3ktom3k Member Posts: 91
    Base w/ 5 speed, red, w/ power group and cold weather group. MSRP $16,350, paid $14,999 (invoice-$45 per Edmund's) + tax & tags. Out the door for for $15,550. Dealer said it was an internet loss leader. Love it so far (24 hrs). Only looking to add all weather mats and bumper guard. Found that online for $117 incl. shipping. Still shopping for a better price on the accessories and maybe the Toyota extenjded warranty. Best I could get out of them was $900 for the 7yr/100K/$0 ded.
  • epskiepski Member Posts: 5
    Fully-loaded (literally), PLUS:

Custom 17" rims and Goodyear tires
    Custom exhaust
    Tinted windows

~$23,500

This car is quite unique to get from a dealer, as it is customized (by the regional VP, I understand).

It was kind of on the steep side, but I'm leasing it for only $316/mo. (they made my first payment for me, too), and I plan to get out of it in about 3 years or when I'm not upside down on it anymore (whichever comes first), as I expect to be able to afford a car that costs twice this by then.
  • 914914 Member Posts: 15
    tom3k - Did you buy a Corolla S?
This discussion has been closed.