Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2003-2008 Toyota Corolla Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Good job on reducing the price and getting rid of those high priced extras. I agree that Toyota needs to seriously look at their pricing on this current generation Corolla, old design & yesterdays technology. ABS as an option and 15" wheels are a joke now as the competition already has these basic things standard and so much more.
    Why didn't your kid look at the hyundai Elantra? At this price point, probably the best choice in an economy car on a features to cost basis...a real screaming deal! Personally, I'm turned off by the looks of the car but it comes with so many features that it makes so much sense if one doesn't want to spend in the high 16's or low 17's on a great, reliable small car. A no brainer in my book. In my case though, the Civic was just a better fit. But if I had purchased based just on $, it would've been an Elantra hands down.

The Sandman :)
  • kalockekalocke Member Posts: 1
    Purchased Sept 28, $15,000 after Rebate. LE Corolla, 08, silver, no ABS, just floor mats and all weather and cruise/6 cd changer.

Pros-
    Great handling, smooth acceleration, peppy engine yet quiet, tight feel and confidence in fit n finish, great transmission, supportive seats, overall good appearance on front/sides, trusted design and reliability, all cons minor in comparison to pros

Cons-
    Steering wheel a bit of a reach and feels small, stock radio lacking in sound quality, stereo hard to reach, wish cruise controls were on steering wheel, chrome adjuster handle/tabs on ventilation grills cause reflection off side mirrors, dislike rear appearance of car, not sure if doors lock when using remote control (wish there was a confirmation beep)
  • homerj227homerj227 Member Posts: 21
    From the reading I've done, Hyundai has risen in the initial quality ratings but it isn't doing the same in the long term quality ratings yet. I agree it has more features, but the longer term reliability has been on par with or slightly behind many american cars that are also more feature rich. I think people are buying the Corolla for Toyota's reputation for reliability. Whether that is worth it, who knows. The car is definitely a bit overpriced once you add in ABS and side airbags, but it is also due for a complete redesign in 6 months, so this makes sense. My sister picked up the CE automatic for $13,600. I would prefer she have a car with more safety features, but the price didn't seem that out of line for what she was getting and she wanted a basic, reliable car.
  • jlawrence01jlawrence01 Member Posts: 1,757
    I agree with what you have said. I paid $13,900 for an LE automatic.

FWIW, I have driven a lot of Elantras from teh various rental fleets and that vehicle has never impressed me as a vehicle that will hold up over a long period of time. The Sonata is a pretty good vehicle and the Accent has a lot of pep.

My choices were Corolla,Versa, and Malibu in that order.
  • irismgirismg Member Posts: 345
    Where did they put the cruise? My '98 has cruise on the steering wheel, on it's own stalk. It's not one of those dashboard pushbutton controls now, is it?
    If that was next year's model, that was an incredible price. In fact, that's a price I'd be wary of for fear it had been in a wreck! It's like the guy in Tulsa said, they don't sell them that cheap down here in Oklahoma.

You know, my observation, if you just love cars, period, and you're not a fanboy of any particular make but just want a good car, there's lots of options out there. It's interesting what options and color choices the different manufacturers consider important!
    It's like the guy in Tulsa said, they don't sell them that cheap down here in Oklahoma.

It was a 2007. Chicago is a competitive market. There are more Toyota dealers within 50 miles than there are in all of Oklahoma.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    It is at the same place as yours (like all Toyotas). I happen to really like it there.
    Oh, ok, I was confused when OP said it wasn't on the wheel anymore.
    Toyota heaven, wow! It might be worth it to drive or fly up there and shop. I was looking at the Carmax prices for new Toyotas in Kenosha, Wisconsin. While they don't offer the price you paid for their '08s and '07s, they're better than what you can find here by more than a thousand.

Hm, I just wonder how doable that is...
    All the prices are published in the Northwest Herald/ Chicago Tribune. Pauly in Crystal Lake, Ejgin Toyota in Elgin, and Fox Lake Toyota are all generally fairly competitively priced.

Is the place in Kenosha a Carmax? if so, that would explain the LARGE PRICE DIFFERENCE. Carmax means "you paid too much".
    That's probably so, I'm not surprised that Carmax is higher compared to other dealers in the area since there are so many, because they're going to knock themselves out to lure people away from Carmax to prove they're the better deal, albeit not a no-hassle one.

But in comparison to MY region, Carmax is a deal, especially for a new car! I'd be willing to bet that a good part of their clientele comes largely from other parts of the country, while the dealerships handle the locals.

One man's ripoff is another man's bargain, depending on their point of view, eh? Just my view.
    I don't know but it was pretty easy dealing with the dealership. Drop the ad on the desk and ask him if the deal was available. Yes it is. Sign the paperwork. I left my office at Noon and was back to work at 12:45 pm.

But if you want to pay more at Carmax ... go ahead.
  • colloquorcolloquor Member Posts: 482
    "FWIW, I have driven a lot of Elantras from the various rental fleets and that vehicle has never impressed me as a vehicle that will hold up over a long period of time. The Sonata is a pretty good vehicle and the Accent has a lot of pep."

Although I tend to agree with you on your assessment on the Elantra, as a previous Elantra and Corolla owner, our family's experience was a bit of a contradiction. Determining long-term reliability based upon rental experience is not necessarily valid, as rental cars are notorious for being abused by some renters and with questionable maintenance by the agency.

Our family's previous generation Elantra went over 180K miles without any corrective maintenance, just routine oil changes and timing belt changes. It was no more, or less, costly to maintain than our Corolla. The primary difference between the two was gas mileage - the Corolla was always better in that regard. Both were automatics, and the Elantra's best highway mileage was 34MPG, short of the Corolla's.
  • psypsy Member Posts: 122
    There are soooo many good cars in the compact class its not funny. I would have bought a Fit standard trim with a AT for $13850 inclucing, dest. and dealer fee's before I purchased a Rolla. Corolla's do get great mpg!!! Yaris is only a tad better. And they hold up well. To drive one. Well thats about as under whelming as anything Ive ever done. They stop awful. No ABS standard. Chalk one up for idiot Yota marketing folks. Corners like a honey wagon. And goes like a gas powered pogo stick.

There are so many cars in the compact class. It over all is a buyers market if you have done any research at all.
  • ankampetaankampeta Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I got a quote in Dallas Tx for 2008 Corolla LE,4Dr, Auto. the options include anti-lock brakes, Side Airbags, windo tint, cruise contro, mudguards, keyless entry with security system and alloy wheels. The offer price was $16,310.00 plus inventory fee ($38.00) and documentation fee ($50.00) plus Ttl and tax. Anybody can comment about this deal.

Thanks
    KR
  • anlinaanlina Member Posts: 52
    etschreiber,

I'm in Southern California and am very interested in that same car. Would you mind telling me where you got that quote?

Dealers have told me it's almost impossible to find a Corolla with ABS in this area because the climate doesn't warrant it. :)

Thanks,

Anlina
    dridmang,

Would you mind telling me where you bought it? And why did they give you the discount -- or why would you have gotten 3K off the MSRP?

Thanks so much!

Anlina
  • nyguy1nyguy1 Member Posts: 23
    I just got back from southern California where I bought a Corolla S in impulse red. I drove the car back to Las Vegas where we have registered it. The cars in the Los Angeles area are much cheaper than in las vegas and they have much lower dealer fees.

The car I purchased had an MSRP of $19,500. Pretty loaded with moonroof, side airbags, option package #1 and 6 disk changer. The price after rebate was $15,582. Then added T,T,&L at the actual state regulated amounts and off I went with the new car with 36 miles on the clock. Paid registration in Nevada and NOT California. Paid sales tax in California and NOT Nevada.

First tank of gas across the desert and our MPG was 37.5. Now with 400 miles on the car we love it! It does not handle anything like a Civic and for some drivers it is exctly what they need.
    nyguy,

Would you mind telling me where you got the car from?
    I'm looking for that model in Southern CA too!

Also, I'm curious in what way the Corolla handles differently from a Civic.

Thanks so much,

Anlina
  • surejujusurejuju Member Posts: 23
    Wow, that's a great deal! I'm also in Southern California and I have only seen ads in the newspapers last few months for 2008 CEs and nothing else. Those best CE deals are only $3k off MSRP, not like your $4k off. A few months back I did see a 2007 LE for $14,500 ($2k off MSRP) but that was only for one loss leader.
    Hi surejuju,

Could you please tell me the name of the dealer that had that LE...or any other dealers where you think we can get a fair price?

Thanks a lot!

Anlina
    Hi Anlina,

That was Power Toyota in Irvine around July. But I got my 08 CE from Toyota of Orange for $13k and $14.5k out of the door in August. I prefer Toyota of Orange, even though I got my 04 Sienna from Power. Toyota of Orange has basic CEs (no PW or PL or side air bags or ABS) for $13k ads in Orange County Register newspaper every weekend. Power Toyota has the same but only 5 cars each time. I've seen other dealers in LA County with the $13k price but only 1 or 3 cars available. Like I said in my last post, I have not seen any LE or S ads in the papers at all (except the LE in July). Hope this helps. Good luck with your car hunting.
    surejuju,

Thanks for your response. I was offered an 08 CE for $14313 out the door last week, but I've decided I want more options. Hopefully they'll start reducing the LE or S prices sometime soon.

Hope you're enjoying your new car!

Best,

Anlina
    Saw this in today's Orange County Register. What do you think?

New 2007 Corolla S 4 Door
    AT $18019 Model #1812
    Lease for $179 per mo + tax
    $4000 down 60 month lease 12k miles per year
    only when financed thru TFS tier 1 + credit
    1 at this payment ( :confuse: )
    surejuju,

So you'd be paying $14740 + tax for 5 years? I'm not familiar with leasing. The mileage limit would sure work for me...My 1998 civic only has 27K on it!

A dealer told me yesterday that all the 07 Corollas were gone! He said they're introducing the 09 Corollas in Jan. 08. It will be a completely new design with ABS and side air bags standard. I'm wondering if it makes sense to buy one without those options at this time.

Do you know if we're allowed to discuss used cars on this forum? If so, I'd like your opinion on a used Corolla S
    I'm considering.

Best,

Anlina
    Hi Anlina,

Since this forum for "Corolla Prices Paid and Buying Experience" and I am just an average consumer, I can only share my own experience. There were only three main reasons why I bought my 08 Corolla CE: reliability (I may let my 17 yr old daughter drive this car in a year), price (the lowest I could find from Toyota, Honda, and Nissan), and gas economy. So far, I've been very happy with my Corolla. I have added an aftermarket security system for $260 so I can lock/unlock all four doors remotely. I do have to roll my windows up and down manually - good exercise tho. :) I think I can live without ABS in Southern California and I hope my perfect driving record and defensive driving skills can help me without side air bags (all my previous cars do not have this).
    Here is another place with good info on buying cars and prices people paid for their cars:

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/cardeals/toyota.htm
    Thanks surejuju for the link and info.

None of my cars have had ABS or side air bags -- but if Toyota's making them standard on their 09 corollas, it makes me wonder how important they are.

I found an 08 S corolla with side air bags, no ABS for $17200 out the door. I'm debating between that and a preowned 06 S corolla without side air bags for $12800 out the door.

Best,

Anlina
    Thanks! It might be worth a plane ticket to Baltimore to find out!
  • jhs70jhs70 Member Posts: 213
    08 Corolla S with FE/CK/VP/SR/CF.

MSRP 18720; inv 17205; paid 15636 before TTL.

My second purchase at Fitz in as many months. Just a great, low-key experience. Email me if you want my rep's name.
    Ooh, thanks for the offer! That's nice of you! Although, I prefer not to have the S(port) model...I'm a 40+ female, and I like my cush! My back won't take sport suspension.

You bought two cars in two months?! Whoa...you got that discount just on sheer volume!

Just to compare, though, that's not too awful different:
    http://www.carmax.com/dyn/factsheet/factsheet.aspx?id=4564820

Of course, I don't know what all the FE/CK etc means, if they're equipped the same way. Thanks again for the offer, though.
    Hudiburg in Midwest City, OK is advertising employee pricing on select models for a limited time only.
    Oops, nevermind, just went to TMV and figured it out. Didn't find the CF option, though. According to TMV, $16,003 would have been a good price to go in for, you saved $367. Not bad! :shades:

Yours is probably more like this one:
    http://www.carmax.com/dyn/factsheet/factsheet.aspx?id=4661200
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    The S model does not have a sport suspension. The only differences are cosmetic. There is added plastic panels on the exterior, and the interior is black.
    You are correct. The differences are mostly cosmetic. There is a skirt around the bottom of the car to give it a low-to-the-ground appearance, and a spoiler on the back. It makes a plain jane corolla look a bit more sporty. Inside, there is some extra chrome or whatever so that looks a bit nicer too. My son thinks it's hot so that's about all that matters, really. :shades:

And, FWIW, I drove it around a bit and actually thought the ride was quite comfortable. I'm not sure I'd take it cross-country (I'm a tall guy), but I bet I'd get to Iowa before it started to wear on me.
    Yea, I totally agree that if your son thinks it's hot then it IS hot. When I was doing research before I bought my 08 CE, I kept reading that Corolla was not "fun to drive" and had "bland styling". Boy were they wrong. I'm having lots of fun driving my Corolla knowing that I got the very best car for my money. My Corolla looks like a sedan because it is a sedan and it will not attract patrol officers or bad dudes when my daughter drives it on the freeway. :)
  • cargo1cargo1 Member Posts: 9
    I'm in Northern Calif. and considering the 08 Corolla, but in no rush to buy (can wait a few months), if not for the current rebates.
    I see websites showing Toyota rebates of $1000 for the CE and $750 for S/LE. The rebates expire 10/31. Is the 'expiration' a gimmick to create a sense of urgency, or is it going to expire for real? It's only been two months into the 08 model year, and I'd expect better rebates later in 2009 for the 08 model, especially when the 09 model comes out. Any inputs/insight would be appreciated.
    You never know from month to month on rebates, but if I were a betting man (and I am) I would bet that the rebates will continue. If fact, they might even go higher if and when 08 inventory starts to build as the 09 model year approaches.

They like to use words like "rebate expires 10/31" to create a sense of urgency on your part. But, typically, they keep them going into the next month too. Not always, but more than likely. (Of course that last statement depends alot on which make and model we're talking about.)

Also keep tabs on any marketing support money Toyota may throw to the dealers. You can get the skinny on all of this from the Edmunds splash page. Happy hunting.
  • jennifer86jennifer86 Member Posts: 1
    I would just like to submit some information for anyone looking to purchase a vehicle at Lee's Toyota in Jamaica Queens, NY. The people that sell cars there are sneaky and deceitful. Please beware of the following tactics: they will add on as many additional fees for anything. They have already set the price they want your monthly payment to be (high)regardless of your credit and will do anything to keep it at this number....

They will not hesitate to misrepresent your credit rating(go in with your own copy)If you are trading in or have previously owned or rented from them they will claim that you have unpaid bills which they claim lowers your credit rating (the copy you have in your hand is incorrect once they go back and alter whatever they need to)

Walk out! if you hear anything remotely sounding like a lie such as we don't have this or that color or that model!They are only interested in selling what they have on the floor not the next shipment or what you might actually be interested in.

They also play race games in matching you up with a sales person deciding which race can rip off which customer the best. Don't say you weren't warned!
    Saw this ad in the Orange County Register (Southern California) this Sunday:

New 2008 Toyota Corolla CE Model #1802
    Automatic
    Sale Price $12,988- Factory Rebate $1000
    NET TO CUSTOMER $11,988
    3 @ this net cost

Still saw nothing on S or LE.
    Wow. Thanks for pointing that out. What dealer was it?

Anlina
    Toyota of San Juan Capistrano
    They also have Yaris for $11,888
    Camry CE for $15,995
    Rav 4cyl for $18,495
    Sienna CE for $19,959

You can see all today's ads here:
    http://ads.ocregister.com/rop/web/ocr/category.php?id=3&today=1

Toyota of San Juan Capistrano here:
    http://ads.ocregister.com/rop/web/ocr/category.php?id=3&adid=0008480759-01&today- - =1
    Ok, I found more ads for Corolla. These are from Toyota of Pasadena. Appeared in Chinese News Daily today:

2008 CE Automatic, Model #1802, MSRP: $15,915, for $12,388

2008 LE, Automatic, PW, PDL, Model #1822, MSRP $17,365, Price after rebate: $14,188, 5 at this price

2008 S, Auto, PW, PDL, Model #1812, MSRP $18060, Price after rebate: $14,688, 5 at this price

2008 Matric: $14,988
    2008 Prius: $21,688
    2008 Camry LE: $18,388
    Is anyone bothered by the fact that the 07-08 Corolla's rear crash test results were poor? The earlier models did better!

If anyone's interested in this kind of detail, the earlier models had height-adjustable seats which did better in the test. But the 07-08 tests were of "all seats." I'm wondering if that applies to the 08 height adjustable seats.

I was thinking of getting the LE so I'd have side air bags, but if the rear crash test results are so poor -- I'm thinking I might as well go with the less expensive CE.

Thanks for listening!
    Thanks, surejuju. I'll try to get a local dealer to match that.

Anlina
  • mason8mason8 Member Posts: 1
    I bought in canton ga ce $13900 thew in cruise.

2hr drive to dealership to have cruise installed. I had back pain from
    the seat back it is to stiff wont give
    le is made differnt than ce ?

I complained to dealer and toyota
    they was rude will not assist me in no way
    wouldn not trade me up for le vehical or seat

NO CUSTOMERSERVICE PERIOD
    I found my CE driver's seat a lot better than my old Ford Escort, but worse than my 04 Sienna and my old Camry. I had to get both a Obus Forme Backrest Support and a Obus Forme Seat for my Escort but only the Obus Forme Seat for my Corolla. I guess the quality of the seats is reflected in the final Corolla price. :( I would continue to complaint and try to get a satisfactory resolution for your problem.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Didn't you drive the car long enough to find out how your back would react to these seats? Toyota has no obligation to do anything for you since "you" made the choice of what model to buy. If the LE seats were that much more comfortable, why on earth didn't you buy it then? Where's your personal responsibility here? You made a choice and now you feel Toyota should bail you out because you made the wrong choice? I'm confused here.
    As a person who has dibilitating spinal issues, I made sure the car I bought wouldn't add to my pain before I purchased. I took a little bit longer of a test drive to make doubly sure I could live with this car for the next few years. That was my responsibility as an adult and I did what I needed to do. It would never cross my mind to go back to Honda and say I made a mistake...now please bail me out.
    In a perfect world, Toyota would step up to the plate and swap you into the more comfortable LE model just as a good will gesture...but they have no real obligation to do so. It would be nice though and hopefully they will if you approach them with the right attitude about "your mistake". It happens to everyone some time or another. Step up to the plate and admit your mistake and ask how can "we" resolve this situation so it'll be a win/win for both sides.
    Good luck and I'm not trying to be harsh here. Hope for the best and be ready to hear the worst. And asking them to take back a vehicle that you bought and later wasn't comfortable with is about customer service...but they owe you nothing actually, I'd loose the "no customer service period" attitude if I were you! Sometimes it's all in the way one presents their case that gets the desired results...think about it.

The Sandman :)
    Are the LE and/or S model seats actually designed differently from those in the CE?
This discussion has been closed.