Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• dynoludynolu Member Posts: 5
    At only 5,000 miles, rattling noises and vibrations appear to be coming from the driver side dashboard area. Slightly irritating, it's noticeable at low to moderate speeds while driving over less that perfect road surfaces. Just like another posted message, I'm very leery of having service techs remove the dash, they'll never get it back perfect. Hopefully the dealership will restore my confidence with Toyota products.
  • CapeCodCapeCod Member Posts: 117
    My car is a Vibe...
    but your Matrix board is more active !
    Has anyone else noticed volume does
    not stay constant when switching between
    Cd and radio ! Radio is much louder !
    Is this normal ???
    Anyone having weak radio signal with antenna ?
    Thanks.
  • jeproxjeprox Member Posts: 466
    what you are experiencing is normal. nothing wrong with your radio. usually, cd's are recorded at a much lower volume.

try playing the cd on your home stereo and swith to radio. do this back and forth and you will get the same results.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    my radio reception isn't that great, but OTOH the antenna is one of those new wiggly ones that you can unscrew for car washes and stuff. With an antenna that is only about 10 inches long, how much radio reception can one reasonably expect? I have been thinking of switching it out for one that gets better reception.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

my radio reception is excellent. if you are having problems with reception and it happens only on certain occasion or certain channels, you may be better off leaving it alone than replacing the OEM antenna.

because the antenna is on the roof, you risk the chance of having a leak if you remove it and not install it properly. you also have to remove the roof liner to get to your antenna. if you really want to replace your antenna, look at getting the original FUBA antenna. they are excellent antennas and OEM on cars such as VW, porsche and audi. many people buy them coz of their excellent reception/quality but they are pricey. FUBA antennas are the same shape/style as the corolla antennas and they may even fit perfectly on the corolla.
  • herzogtum71herzogtum71 Member Posts: 470
    We also get good reception on stations that don't have the strongest signal, both on AM and FM. That's one of the things I tried out when we test-drove the Matrix, and reception is also good in the one we bought -- as good as the '94 Corolla wagon with the old-style antenna, and better than the Nissan we got rid of. Talk with your service people before putting money into another antenna. Something may not be quite right with yours.
  • mpynempyne Member Posts: 120
    allot of people

Mine rattles when cold and going over really small bumps.

if my gf wants my car i think ill give it to her and get myself a hyundai instead. thins is my second toyota and i dont like the way the inside rattles and squeeks makes it feel like a very cheap car.
  • crazygrrrlcrazygrrrl Member Posts: 85
    My dad's 01 Avalon had an annoying rattle, and we found out that the sun visor on the passenger side was making the noise.
  • djhodjho Member Posts: 2
    I just had the timing belt on my '96 corolla replaced at a Toyota service center 3 wekks ago. About 1 week after the service was performed, I started hearing funny noice under the hood. Last night, the car broke down and I towed it back to the dealership. They just called me and told me the water pump froze and it caused other problems too. However, this has nothing to do with their service and they certainly didn't screw anything up.
    I found this hard to believe because when they did the service they actually looked at the water pump and said "water pump is dry, no seepage but bearing has some freeplay". Now they are telling me they didn't touch the water pump.
    Does anyone know if it is possible to replace a timing belt without touching the water pump? I have a hard time believing this is a coincient since the water pump has been working fine for so many years and start to break 1 week after the timing belt is replaced.

Thanks.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Very sorry to hear about your problem. I had my timing belt replaced on my '96 Corolla last week also but they put a new water pump in since they had the whole thing apart anyways. My mechanic said it was a good idea to replace the water pump even though it was fine since everything was exposed anyways. Too bad Toyota didn't just say to you to just do it. Go back and see if they will just replace it without all the labor being charged to you. Can't hurt to ask!
    Again, sorry for all the trouble you're having.

The Sandman :-)
    If I had heard this, I would have asked them a couple of times why they did not just replace the pump. On these cars, it is such a pain to replace the pump all by itself, whereas it is right there when they are doing the timing belt.

Since it is a Toyota service center, and especially if you are a regular customer, I bet if you try real hard you could get you to replace the pump for just the price of the part.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• guanguan Member Posts: 1
    I had to replace my 99 toyota corolla engine after 66K on the odo. The #4 cylinder of the engine was myteriously worn out (egg shaped). And it's just 6K over the 60K powertrain warranty. I have always maintained the car according to the manual, and actually I had the old changed every 3K-5K (even a little bit more often than the manual said). I couldn't believe this happened on a Corolla with such low mileage with well-oiled machine. I have tried to talk with Toyota to see if they can offer help on the repair cost, but got declined anyway even though I kept all the maintenance paperwork. I couldn't be more disappointed with such a lemon from Toyota. Just before the engine bust, I was thinking to get a Toyota Sequoia for my family. But now, I will say bye-bye to Toyota forever!
    Maybe they would have given you a new engine to get you to buy a high profit item like the Sequoia! LOL

That is unusual for a Toyota engine. Sounds like you got the lemon of the bunch...

• mld2mld2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 CE with 8,500 miles. I get the intermittent sulfur/rotten egg smell. Very bad after going up a hill. I've read other messages on this and was wondering has anyone found out if there is a problem or are dealers just telling you it's the gas. My car is great otherwise with very good gas mileage, but that smell is annoying and I'm afraid will lead to something. Thanks for any info.
  • laurie30laurie30 Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2003 Matrix . I had a automatic starter installed. Started having problems like the lights going on in the middle of the night and wearing down the battery. Had automatic starter disconnected. Car was dead today. Dealer said I left dome light on. I never touched it. Any one else having this problem?
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Two questions for y'all.
    (1) Had the timing belt, a pretensioner, and the water pump replaced last week and now the mpg's have dropped a bit, the fuel needle moves quicker than before.
    (2) The back of the car seems to bottom out over bumps with a single thud now. Had the front struts replaced under a TSB back in '98. Is it possible that I need new shocks in the rear?
    TIA for any help from you nice folks!

The Sandman :-)
    How does that work, who makes it? If it is hooked to the car's electrical system, and is not OEM, and now you are suddenly having dead battery issues, I would say it almost certainly has to be the culprit.

• laurie30laurie30 Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the response nippon. I will certainly find out. However, dealership blames car starter for problems and car starter co. says no way. In the mean time I have to hope my car will start each day. Since the car starter is disconnected, I don't understand why I am still having the problem.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...that have to be made to install the remote starter. There is almost no doubt in my mind that this is the source of your problem. If you want Toyota to try to solve this problem, you have to restore the car to stock, no matter what the other guys say.
  • srockrsrockr Member Posts: 79
    This is one of the reasons I am looking into purchasing a Honda versus Toyota.

Also Toyota salesman very impatient with me and pressured me way too much!
    when they installed the remote starter, they created an electrical short that is draining the battery every time you leave the parked for more than a couple of hours. It is a pretty common thing.

• silv3rricesilv3rrice Member Posts: 4
    I'm not really so familiar with cars so I hope all of you kind corolla owners can shed me some knowledge. I drive a 03 corolla LE and basically, I'm planning of changing the intake of it. I saw this ad from Injen and my friend offered to do it for me, the only problem is that the intake was designed for a S type corolla. My question is: does a S and a LE have the same engine and all, except for the body kits? Thanks in advance.
  • fgf001fgf001 Member Posts: 98
    There is NO difference. They are simply appealing to the S model buyers as more likely to purchase. I also have an '03 LE and will be ordering mine as soon as they have the CARB approval sticker available. Tell them to ship it!
    the corollas have the same powertrains.

• toycar2toycar2 Member Posts: 1
    yesterday the Check Engine light lit up on my 95 Corolla car. I kept up with the service and had change the spark plugs and cables over 1.5 yrs ago. I check the gas cap and engine cap is ok. I purchased this Corolla 1.5yrs ago! it drives fine has about 117K miles now. My friend told me its normal for toyota, the light will turns off after 200 miles! Is this true??? in the meantime I still driving to work and school. please help! thanks,
    dan
    If the check engine light is on then it has detected a problem. It is NOT normal and should be investigated. Even if it turns off the trouble code remains stored in the computer. Auto zone will pull the code for free but you will still have to have the code "translated". It won't tell you exactly what is wrong but will point to the system that is having a problem. With 117K on the clock it could be as simple as replacing an oxygen sensor but there are thousands of other things that it could be. Have it checked....and don't listen to your friend anymore when it comes to cars.
  • carrbrcarrbr Member Posts: 3
    just bought a 2003 Corolla S and I have the same vibration noise coming from the front left dash. Only when accelerating from a stop.
    Also, I notice a knock sound from the transmition when I put the car in reverse when I pull out of the garage in the morning. I had a old camry that made the same noise. Is this common w/ toyota's?
    is the oxygen sensor - those fry all the time. Repair it or the car won't pass the next snog check, if you have one of those. And it shouldn't cost a fortune. Good luck!

You have to actually figure the MPG at each fillup. You can't judge by the gauge. Your car is approaching seven years old. It's likely that the rears do need replacing.
  • sunshined121sunshined121 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 7 month old 2003 Corolla LE and have been getting the rattling noise in various places on the dashboard. Like the far right part of dashboard, the middle area near where the compartments are and on the left upper part of the dashboard. Lately it's been in the steering wheel. The vibration was worse during the summer for me. The hotter the weather the worse it's been. Now that the weather is cool I barely get it. I'm planning on having my car serviced in a couple of days. I'm not too sure if I feel comfortable having dealership take apart the dashboard. Especially since I haven't been getting the noise lately. Should I wait till it gets warm again and I'm getting the noise? Or should I have them just go in and try to find what is causing it? Has anyone had it successfully fixed? Unsuccessfully?
    Mine had squeaks coming form those same places and they eventually went away. Since you can't duplicate the noise in the cooler weather you should explain the situation and make sure it gets on record at the dealership. Desribe the noises and locations as precisely as possible and get a copy. I would be leary of anyone taking apart the dash unless it was driving me crazy. Next summer if the noise reappears it is on record and they just might have a factory fix by then.
    question for those of you with a 03' corolla.
    if you look down your gas filler neck, do you see a flap covering the hole?

i thought i had one when i bought the car but i can't remember if there is a flap there covering the hole.
    Negative on mine. The gas cap is what makes the seal. If not completely tight it can cause the check engine light to appear.
    thanks. i guess i'm used to my sienna having a metal flap there and i thought the corolla had one too! :)
  • halehousehalehouse Member Posts: 4
    I got my Matrix in mid-July and it currently has about 2,400 miles on it. The weather has recently become colder and rainy. We had the car out and noticed a "clunk" noise every time I would brake. You can feel it just under your feet as you drive. Brake, and when the pedal is about half way down you hear and feel the "clunk". It is pretty loud. The dealership says that they have had this a lot with the '03 Matrix and that it is just the brake pads slipping in the cold. He said "we would probably just have to live with the noise." Sound right? I hate to have to "live with it" when it doesn't even have 2500 miles yet. It is a pretty annoying sound.
    do you have ABS with your car? if you do, could it be your ABS kicking in? in my sienna, each time i brake and hit a patch of leaves or ice, ABS will sense the slip and i would get a big thud.

on my 03 corolla, when i go over railroad tracks and i brake or accelerate - i would get a clunk or thud as well coz the cheap uniroyal tires are slippery!
  • halehousehalehouse Member Posts: 4
    No, no ABS.
  • ar15riflear15rifle Member Posts: 1
    We have had our 03 Corolla in 7 times since we bought it in May. They have replaced the Catalytic converter and the O2 sensor, along with the entire rest of the exhaust system. Toyota admits that they know of only two other Corolla's other than ours that is having this problem. Maybe everyone should contact the dealership AND Toyota that has this problem. We were eventually told it is the gas. The only problem with that is that we drive this car across the country every month. Lots of different gas, from lots of different places. All have the same problem. Overall, we love Toyota's.
  • tja2tja2 Member Posts: 5
    My 03 Corolla has also suffered intermittent episodes of rotten egg smell. Occurrences were rare until the last month when the weather turned much cooler. Most frequently it happens about five minutes after start up when the car has not been in use for some hours. It might be coincidence but usually it happens when the car is at idle or stopped at a light.
  • footiefootie Member Posts: 636
    I would do something brazen:
    * Contact your State Consumer Protection Agency
    * Ask them if they have had any complaints like yours on new Corollas.
    * Tell them that you are concerned that the gases are harmful to you and your family and would like to get them tested
    * You would hate to be overcome by something like this
    * Tell them that you understand that many other Corolla owners are having this problem and you can show them documentation (from Edmunds)
    * Ask politely that they let you demonstrate it to a Supervisor and make an appointment to see what they think

* If you get an appointment, call the local TV stations with the most aggressive Consumer Advocacy Reporting
    * Drop by to show the consumer advocate reporter the problem (sniff test)
    * Ask him/her to accompany on your visit to the State agency for the test

* When this is all set, call your dealership, Toyota zone and Toyota NCAC and invite them to send a rep to be there.

Perhaps they might want to be responsive.
    Although my '03 does not emit the rank aroma (yet) I agree with footie. As a member of four Corolla boards I read this all too often. Something has got to be out of whack, there are far too many complaints out there. Changing brands of fuel has not helped to delete the aroma in a single post I've read. GO FOR IT!
  • laksjlaksj Member Posts: 19
    I'd appreciate posting the URLs of the other Corolla boards you are a memeber of. I've been reading/posting problems here, but I didn't always get the answers I wanted.
    I posted them not realizing it was a no no. By doing so I violated house rules and the addy's have been deleted...sorry.
  • laksjlaksj Member Posts: 19
    Well, in this case, would you mind emailing me the URLs? My email address is kando10003@yahoo.com

Thanks!
  • dynoludynolu Member Posts: 5
    It turns out that the vibration was caused by the alarm not being installed properly. The dealer quickly fixed the problem, and rebuilt the front strut housing as well, as this apparently was an "alert" (recall?) issued by Toyota.
    Will do.
    I'd like to know more about this! I'm glad they got it repaired for you.
  • orlysforlysf Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2003 Corolla last August. Before break-in, the gas mileage for a full tank was almost 400 miles. After the break-in period of 1000 miles, the gas mileage dropped to just 250 miles/tank. Is this normal? I am driving this car here in San Francisco and Daly City and observed that average gas mileage is only 250 miles/tank sometimes with a heater or aircon. My car is S model and automatic.

Another observation: I hear a noise on the right /front ball joint everytime I hit a bump as if something is loose. The noise is tolerable as if some air is pumped to it. Is this coming from shock absorber or what?

I had my car checked after a month it was purchased and the oil was in low level. Was it consuming lots of oil or the dealer didn't put exact amount of oil. My friend who has same car got too much trouble with her car...problem with heater/ac, steroe and fog lights are not working.

Plaese advise if this is one of the defects in 2003 Corolla. I should have just bought a Honda Civic or Nissan Altima considering the engine of this car is noisy like an old car. I used to own a 1992 Corolla and its engine was a lot quiter consideing it was almost 10 years old.

Thanks...
  • terceltom1terceltom1 Member Posts: 150
    Maybe its just your opinion of noisy but if your car sounds like an old noisy car then I would say you have some kind of big problem. I have an 2001 Corolla and it is as quite as could be. Also, I have tested the new 2003 Corolla and I thought that the car new 2003 was very quite also, as it should be.