Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• carglowcarglow Member Posts: 91
    Historically that certainly hasn't been the case. I'd still pick "J" VIN vehicles whenever possible.
  • mstauffermstauffer Member Posts: 3
    When I press on the brake pedal (do not have ABS brakes) I hear a distinct clicking noise. It is intermittent and is always a series of two clicks. It sounds as if it is coming from the dash behind the steering wheel. Any ideas what it might be? Has anyone else had this problem? I emailed Toyota, and their reply was to take it to the dealer. 33300 miles but out of 36 month warranty. Help me please.
  • beernutbeernut Member Posts: 329
    Go to the "Toyota Corolla Owners: Care and Maintenence" board and read my posting from yesterday.
  • smpoolsmpool Member Posts: 33
    My 2003 CE is two years old and has about 11,500 miles on it. About a 1000 miles ago, the engine block was replaced under warranty by the dealer due to a pinhole leaking coolant. Ever since, I seem to be getting much worse gas mileage in city driving - 21 to 24 miles per gallon. No dash warning lights are on. What could it be? Is this normal city mileage? What should I check?
  • goldeneyegoldeneye Member Posts: 4
    I also have the same problem on my LE05 with 1300 miles. I have yet to take it to the dealer, so I don't know what's causing it. I will let you know if I find something. Also, if your dealer is able to fix the problem, please let me know what was causing it.
    I also get about 23-24 mpg city with my 05 auto LE which is rated at 30 mpg.

I have reached 37 mpg on the highway though.
  • bigred18bigred18 Member Posts: 6
    Question: I have a 2003 Corolla with automatic lights. The headlights come on at night right away,BUT the instrument panel Lights will not come on for 30sec. I have a shop manual, but can't seem to find out how long it should take.

My 2 other trucks,Tahoe and Durango come on right away.

Thanks for your help
    The Corolla headlights are not coming on right away, only the daytime running lamps. After the 15 to 30 second pause the "headlights" are coming on which includes full strength low beams, panel lights and taillights. This is the only auto-headlight car I've had that delays like that - I don't know why - but it does.
    BTW, the wife got an even 39 MPG on her '05 automatic this weekend over an 850 mile round trip. 3,000 total vehicle miles now.
  • lizservolizservo Member Posts: 5
    Are the headlights suppose to be different than the daytime running lights? For my '04 corolla, there is no difference between the two. Is that wrong!?
    Well, I'm not a Toyota technician or a headlight guy, but my understanding is that the "filament" (probably the wrong term to use, but you get the idea) is the same for DRL and low beams just that the DRL receives less voltage and are therefore slightly dimmer than low beams. On my 2005, you can tell the difference in brightness once the lows come on. In other words, the DRL are slightly dimmer by design.
  • john500john500 Member Posts: 409
    That is my understanding also. The light intensity of the daytime running lights is typically about 60 % of the headlight intensity.
  • vlanman25vlanman25 Member Posts: 49
    Yes Steve, I have a 2003 Corrola with about 36,000 miles on it and the floor mat on the drivers side is in the same condition. It is a standard so my foot is on and off the clutch a lot but considering their cost, I think they should have been more durable. Also, the mat ends just where a fully depressed clutch pedal lands. As such it catches on the mat. After about two weeks of that I cut a piece out of the mat. -Ken
    Has anyone experienced (or considers it normal) for my 2003 manual shift Corrola to idle at cold start up at 2100 RPM? Also, cruising at 70 downhill for more than 30 seconds I usually take the car out of gear and let it coast. Recently I noticed the engine speed would not reduce to 800-1000 RPM as it usually does but stays at about 3000 even with my foot off the gas pedal and the engine in neutral. Does anyone notice this and is it OK? Otherwise the car seems normal. -Ken
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Yes, my '99 has the same problem with the wear on the carpet floor mats (mine is a stick also). But even automatics floor mats wear out real quick. This is the only "problem" so far, so I can live with it. The solution is to buy some Toyota all weather mats. They are rubber, look nice, and last forever. They even say "Corolla" on them. You can find them at on-line Toyota parts dealers.
  • dave594dave594 Member Posts: 218
    I have had the same problem with the Toyota mats on my 02, also a 5-spd. Wore a hole where my left heel sits when I'm working the clutch. My solution was to get a rubber mat from Wal-Mart for about $5. It's been there about 2 years and holds up pretty well.
  • dawnpdawnp Member Posts: 6
    I have a brand new 2005 Corolla S and my gas mileage is really poor. I know the EPA stuff is not a guarantee but I am getting only about 23 miles to the gallon and thats a combination of city and highway.... Is it true that the engine has to break in and wont be fully so until I hit around 5,000 miles? I was never told that when I bought the car. Also does it really make a difference from winter to summer gas? I have never heard that one before either.

Just curious, feeling a little taken with my purchase at this point. Any advise or information you have is appreciated. I didn't know where else to look for advise except Edmunds.com.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    Automatic or manual? Do you drive off immediately in the morning, or let it idle to "warm up"? How long is the trip you take most frequently [say home to work]? How long does it sit before being used again after it is shut down for the first time each day?

Depending on the answers to these questions, you may have a problem, or more likely, you're just within the normal bounds of what you can reasonably expect.

Yes, both fuel consumption and available power will continue to improve right up and through 7000 miles, in my experience. And also yes, winter fuel blends are designed to be less volatile, and contain less energy, than summer gasoline, so fuel consumption tends to be more pessimistic.

Our new-gen Corolla automatic, one of the first produced, returned about 23-25 mpg in short-run suburban situations, 26-28 mpg on urban freeways, and just about 30 mpg even on any long trip [at 75-80 mph, usually with the AC compressor engaged all the time]. Gearing, even with the automatic, is relatively short in this car to give you snappier response. A little longer gearing would help.

The answers to the questions in the first paragraph are key.
  • ncskibumncskibum Member Posts: 42
    Yes, according to the owners manual, you are supposed to give the engine at least a 1000 mile break in. 5000 might be better, but who wants to remember to baby a car that long. Sounds to me like you have more issues though. I just bought an LE automatic and have just passed 1000 miles. All tanks so far are at 33 mpg, with a city driving. That included on out of town trip but even interstate cruising delivered 33 mpg. My only real complaint is that the tank is too small. A couple more gallons and it could easily deliver a 400 mile range. Some of the lower mileage could depend on how quickly you release off the gas when shifting and at what RPM you are shifting at. Look for the information on peak torque. That is the point at which you will get the best power for shifting.

As far as summer and winter gasoline, that's a bunch of bunk. The only thing that is blended for cold weather is diesel fuel, and that depends on where you live. Here in NC, the only offer type one year round. What the gas distributors do, is add a certain percent of kerosene into the diesel to keep it from gelling.
  • ncskibumncskibum Member Posts: 42
    We were told that the daytime running lights were lower intensity than the regular headlights. However, in playing around with them, I don't see a difference. I was also surprised to find the twilight sensor that turns on the dash and taillights. That was one of the best features on my Avalanche. Never had to worry about turning the lights on or off.
    Automatic and I do drive off immediately in the morning. Should I let the car warm up? They gave me no information when I bought the car. Anyway, home to work is approx 16 miles, some stop & go on the freeway, rarely a straight non-stop trip. It sits from 6pm until the next morning at 7am.

I am not going to worry yet, but I have had it in to the dealership for a problem with it hesitating when I started it. That has only happened 3 times, but when your brand new car doesnt want to turn over it worried me. They claim to have found nothing wrong and stated that the documentation of the problem was key and would allow them to track the situation if it should become an issue.

Thank you for the feedback! I do really appreciate it.
    ncskibum -

Thanks for the information. I agree who buys a new car only to have to baby it? I had old hunks of crap for that. But if I have to- then I will give it until at least 1,000 before I start to worry if the gas mileage doesnt get better.
    No, you're doing the right thing in the morning - you don't want it to idle unnecessarily.

The fact that the engine could take up to 7-8k miles to get completely loosened up is NOT the same thing as recommending that you treat it in some special fashion for that long. On the contrary, there is no special breakin procedure beyond the first 600-1000 miles.

It's conceiveable that your hard starting and higher fuel consumption might be related, though I again must observe that there are so many variables that go into how much gas a car uses, it's just hard to generalize. My mother-in-law's previous generation automatic Corolla barely manages 22 mpg the way she drives it, mainly in the city and mainly for short trips, but it immediately jumps to 30 mpg or more on the few occasions when she takes it on a real trip. So...
    jrct9454,

Thank you again for your help and information. It's nice to know that someone can answer these questions and concerns for me because truthfully the sales person who sold me the car has been no help at all. She suggests I call the service department. Great huh?!

Thanks again!
    HI: I have noticed a lot of talk on this and the Highlander forums regarding the need to torque to a specific specification (76 Ft. Lbs. in my case) the lug nuts after changing tires. Is this nit picking or is it really necessary to prevent brake rotors from warping? I've owned many cars the last few years with rotors/disk brakes and have never been concerned with bolt tightening beyond the normal star pattern. -Ken
    Consistent [all bolts equally tightened] is more important than the exact right torque [the difference between 76 ft-lbs or 80 ft-lbs is not important as long as ALL ARE THE SAME]. The damage comes from having one or more bolts much tighter than the others - as the brakes heat the rotor, warping is a real risk in that case.

Lots of Japanese cars have this problem - it's endemic to all Hondas and most Toyotas. I never pull away from a service facility after the wheels have been off without re-checking all of the bolts with my own torque wrench.
  • modestmousemodestmouse Member Posts: 53
    I just bought my 2005 S this last year around Christmas. I love the car, except for a couple of things.

A) There's no cargo net, or pocket on the back of the front seats (lame).

B) I received the car w/ two panels in the dash that were "warped" One is the panel that lines the dash cluster, and the other is the one that holds the stereo. I didn't notice them until I was half way up to Colorado this X-mas. I took the car back to the dealer to get an oil change after the road trip and asked them to take a look at the panels.

They had to "order" them and I have yet to hear from them. They didn't indicate that I had to pay anything, as I wouldn't expect to. Have any of you ever experienced this? I find it strange to find my Panels warping already. BTW this car was not in a lot for some inordinate amount of time, it was ordered straight from the factory and sat in their garage for one day, it had 5miles on it when i got it. Now it has 2000! :P

MM
    Thanks jrct, I found a 20-100 ft lb. dial torque wrench at HD so I guess I'll be getting that and doing the same as you after I leave the service bay. -Ken
  • pamp99pamp99 Member Posts: 1
    Ok I have just spent the last 2 weeks on my head putting in a new heater core and now my 1990 4d sedan is driping oil from under the dash. The only thing that I can think of that has link to oil in the speedo cable. Has any one heard of oil coming in to the dash from there. I need help Don
    My 05 LE is making a "whoop, whoop" noise when I apply the brakes. I think it's coming from the rear brakes. I only have 4k miles.

Any suggestions?
  • mcase2mcase2 Member Posts: 160
    I have an 04 Corolla automatic that gets beyond belief piss poor mileage - It actually has gone as low as 12.5 mpg with the same driver, on the same commute, on which our old Accord got 24 mpg. Our dealer contacted Toyota's regional manager. Toyota's response was to tell to me to get lost. No really! they told to sue them if I wanted, they were not going to do a damn thing. Toyota WILL NOT guarantee mileage claiming that the EPA assigns the mileage and it "has nothing to do with them". I guess part of the problem is a studied policy of corporate denial inspired by the huge number of outraged people who get nothing like the mileage promised by the Prius
    Since I bought both a brand new Sienna and Corrola from the same dealer (Watertown Toyota, Watertown, MA) on the same day you might think they would go to bat for me. Nope! gee whiz our hands are tied blah blah blah. After a year the car now gets about 18 to 20 city out of a rating of 29 mpg city and compared to the 24 mpg we got from a ten year old Accord. Oh what a feeling!
    My 05 Corollas AT gets about 21-23 city mpg which is disappointing. Your mileage is the worst I've ever heard of for a Corolla.
    I've wondered about what impact building these things in the US might have in initial customer satisfaction. Has anyone else noticed the decline?
  • mcase2mcase2 Member Posts: 160
    My Sienna is made in the USA and runs as it should. My Corolla with the Piss poor mileage is made in Japan. Anyone interested can look at a VIN and find out which kind of Toyota they have. The site - VIN View /// AnalogX - guides you through the mysteries of vin deciphering
    Well this is not encouraging one bit! Luckily my gas mileage hasnt gotten worse, actually since I posted the question I have managed to squeak a whole extra mile per gallon out of the car. The last tank I got a whopping 24 miles to the gallon. But I was told I would near 40 to the gallon.

I love the car and part of the reason I settled on the Corolla was the amazing gas mileage. Now it seems that not only will I never see it but I was lied to in the first place which really upsets me.
    Remember, dawnp, when the sticker says 39 (as my automatic transmission S does), that is under best-case laboratory conditions. We got 38.9 mpg over an 800 mile trip - no use of the A/C, no mountains, no stopping except for gas, no open windows, lightly loaded, cold tire pressure at 2 psi over spec., cruise control on all the way. You can't be more conservative than that. I'm expecting that to actually get better as the engine loosens up around 15,000 miles and we switch to syn oil.

I will check our city mileage but am sure we will miss the published MPG of 32 by a lot since my wife has the hammer down all the time.
    Beernut,

Thank you for that information! You're right, the EPA is established under the most perfect of circumstances and since none of us can drive that way, the EPA is a joke. I guess now I will know to look at that and take at least 10 miles off per gallon. Live and learn.

Again, thank you! You have all been very helpful!!
  • fayazkmfayazkm Member Posts: 3
    Hi

I have an 05 Corolla LE (1000 miles) which makes some kind of a grinding or groaning noise during turns.I took it to the dealer who drove it around but found nothing unusual. Any thoughts ?!?!?!
  • fayazkmfayazkm Member Posts: 3
    Hi

I have an 05 Corolla LE (1000 miles) which makes some kind of a grinding or groaning noise during turns.I took it to the dealer who drove it around but found nothing unusual. Any thoughts ?!?!?!
    The noise is quite distinct to me.The dealer tech guy said that it was a normal sound for a Corolla.I've yet to drive another 05 Corolla to verify this.
    What your car is suffering from is, "Tell Him Its A Normal Sound And See If He Goes Away", syndrome.

You are wise to drive other samples of the same car for comparison so you are dead nutz sure of your claim. THEN get the "dealer tech guy", who may have been loading watermelons for a living before he got his new uniform, and ask him to bring his boss out for a little drive.

Nothing personal against any watermelon loaders, but dealers that dance the "shuffle" are a pet peeve of mine.
  • bnewellbnewell Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Toyota Corolla, 29,000 km. I've only had it for 6 weeks. After I've been driving for 1/2 hour and the car is warm it begins to make a whistling noise coming from the area of the front right tire. It does it when idling and when stopped, changing gears from Park to Drive and back. It almost sounds like the noise when using the washer fluid, a hummm...

Thanks.
  • mbuchananmbuchanan Member Posts: 3
    Is anyone having a problem with their trunk lid? Mine doesn't stay open and has hit me several times in the head. Tonight, I had forgotten about this and now I have a big welt that will be a bruise. When I have contacted the dealer, I'm told that the lid doesn't stay open by itself and I need to raise it completely (I'm only 5' and it's impossible for me to do that). I've called Toyota Corporate and I think they think I'm goofy. Any ideas what to do? Thank you in advance for any advice that is given.
  • grandtotalgrandtotal Member Posts: 1,207
    (I'm only 5' and it's impossible for me to do that)

Don't be silly, my wife is 5' and she can do it with ease.
  • edmlfc1edmlfc1 Member Posts: 1
    This is the same question I have. What good is a Valet Key if everything opens? I don't even have a lock on my glove box. Owners manual dosen't give any clue. Searched the internet, still no answers. Not that I use the Valet often. Just thought it would be nice if I had to use it.

lfc
    Mine works. I just do the 1/4 left turn thing and away she goes. Gotta leave the grey key with the dude, ya know.
  • random621random621 Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a 05 Corolla LE with 5 spd. Based on the EPA estimated MPG I was expecting to get somewhere in the low 40 mpg range. My daily commute is 65 miles down a relatively flat highway. My tires are inflated to their recommended psi. I'm still in my "break-in" stage where I'm not using the cruise and heater running on low. I'm getting about 32 mpg.

Here are my questions:
    1 - I've never owned a "brand new" car before, as the engine breaks in, should I expect to get better mileage?
    2 - Beernut mentioned synthetic oil might help improve mpg, why is this?
    3 - Also, I'm a little concerned that when I'm driving about 72 mph the RPM's are at 3000. In my 97 Altima with automatic transmission and overdrive, the rpms were at about 2600 @ 75 mph. Should I be concerned or are my RPM's normal?
    Your mileage will improve after the engine "loosens up", otherwise known as "breaks in". Its a little stiff when it comes out of the box and runs with less effort after the internal parts seat to each other. You should expect better mileage after break-in but probably not the kind of numbers you're looking for.

The syn oil will also improve your numbers for the same reason as it is more slippery, but again, minimally.

As discussed earlier, the stickered MPG is under perfect/laboratory conditions and you are not driving like that. 65 miles round trip to work means you probably have 50 or less of actual highway and the rest is "mixed", or "city". You may also be driving too damned fast. The best mileage speed is known by Toyota and is probably in the 50 to 60 MPH area. Remember the 55 MPH national speed limit? That's what that was for - fuel conservation.

The RPM difference between your Altima and the Corrola is due to the size/HP of the engines. The power curve characteristics are different and the trans is geared differently to accomodate that, thus the difference in the RPM at a given speed. I assume your Overdrive is working. Check it by cruising at a constant speed over say 50 and clicking it on and off. When off, the RPM's should jump up and when on, they should drop. 3000 at 72 doesn't sound out of line to me. I think my automatic does around 2500 at 60 or so. The smaller HP and torque that the Corrola produces requires higher RPM's to keep in the power band.
  • random621random621 Member Posts: 3
    Beernut - thanks for the in-depth response. Of the 5 cars I've owned before the '05 Corolla, I always got at least what "stickered" MPG read or better - one of those cars was a 5 speed Sentra with a similar 1.8 liter engine. And at age 29, I probably drive more conservatively then ever before.

Until I started researching this more I never would have guess I would get less then the stickered MPG, oh well - live and learn!
    I never expect to get sticker. I always like to try to get it at least once during my ownership of a car, but after doing it I feel better for a moment and then return to my old fuel-wasting driving habits.

I drag-raced an Audi with my mini-van on the way to work this morning. For what? He yielded to the sheer horror of a green, drag-racing mini-van and I walked away from him. Big deal, huh? Another quart down the drain.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    My '99 5 speed manual at 70mph is about 3,000 RPM. This is pretty low for small cars in this class. Honda Civics are above 3,000 at 70mph.

I have never got EPA of 38 mpg (mine is a 1999). But, I got 37.6 mpg when going down a two lane road at about 50-60 mph. Keep in mind that even wind speed and direction is a factor. For a new car not broken in yet, yours is fine.