Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• commish1commish1 Member Posts: 30
    Do the 05 Carollas have any problems? I have an 05 Camry SE V6 that is probably the worst car I have ever driven. The hesitation problem is ridiculous! Thanks for the help.
  • a_younga_young Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me what size socket I need to remove the axle nut from my 93 Corolla?
  • toy5toy5 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

Here is my question, how do I tighten my emergency brake for a Toyota Corolla 1996?

Yesterday I took my car in to Les Schwab to have all 4 tire changed. After, I took the car for a spin and parked it. As usual, I lifted the E brakes and noticed how far it came up. I had it tightened more than three weeks ago and as I recalled, it only clicked three times when I parked at Les Schwab.
  • lukewarrenlukewarren Member Posts: 1
    I also have a '91 Corolla that does not start consistently. Have you found a solution to the problem yet? Sometimes mine starts right up, other times it just keeps turning over but never starts. Then 30 minutes later I'll come back to it and it will start right up. Even trying to roll start it doesn't work sometimes. Does that happend with yours?
  • john_djohn_d Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I'm having same trouble but dealership can't figure it out since the noise is intermittent. If at all possible, can you tell me specifically which backing plate was not fitting right so I can pass this along to dealer? Or, could you say which dealer you went to so I can ask them for specifics. Thanks!
  • dave594dave594 Member Posts: 218
    I have a burned out motor on my 02 Corolla's front passenger side door. Dealer asked $400 to replace it. I can live with a non-functioning window at that price since this is my commuter car. But if I get a motor from a junkyard, how hard is it to do it myself? Any instructions or tips anyone would like to share?
  • espumosoespumoso Member Posts: 5
    Oxygen sensors are about 150.00 and are very very easy to replace. Your mechanic is taking you to the cleaners unless he's replacing them all. But, if he knows it is a sensor, then he knows which one it is.

The main sensor is located (at least on the 90's models) in the front center of the exhaust manifold. You just open the hood and look down between the radiator and the engine and you'll see what looks like a big bolt with wires attached to it, screwed into the exhaust manifold. To replace it, you just disconnect the wires. Unscrew the old one, carefully insert the new one, and reattach the wires.

Unfortunately there are two or three oxygen sensors on the car, so it would be best to find out which one it is before beginning.
  • sweetmommasweetmomma Member Posts: 3
    My 90 Corolla has been acting funny for a couple weeks now. It started after a 3 hour drive to my best friends house and it began being sluggish and it didnt seem like it was getting any gas, maybe clogged. When the car has been for awhile and i start it up it kind of has little jumps and then when I press the gas it seems like its not getting gas. It drives so slow and kinda sputters, on occasion its sounded like a backfire while driving, but once I get up to 50mph it evens itself out. It also seems to even itself out after driving 15 or 20 minutes. If its been driven awhile and then parks only 2 hour its fine when I start it again, but if its 5 hours that its been parked it does it again. I got new spark plugs, fuel filter, added fuel injection cleaner, and had the fuel injection service cleaner thing done at jiffy lube. When the fuel filter was changed there was no fuel in it and the guy said that was probably the problem. Since the fuel injection treatment (blows out stuff from tail pipe) its not been quite as bad as it was, but it still acts up 90 percent of the time. I hope this is enough information for someone to PLS help me. I'm thinking of changing the fuel pump next but I don't wanna put more money(i really dont have) into it if its not gonna solve the problem. Does anyone have any suggestions? When I took it to the mechanic, he test drove it but the car was running fine at that time and he said to leave it overnight so he can test drive it in the morning when its more likely to be acting up again. But I really don't have an opportunity to it with my busy schedule. PLS HELP! Thanks ;):cry:
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    Given the symptoms, I guess I'm amazed that no one has thought to check the fuel pump. Having done everything else, it seems like the obvious place to start.

If the pump is good and producing the right pressure, it does sound as if a fuel line is plugged somewhere along the line.
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    As the previous answer, the fuel pump would be my first guess, but also have them check the fuel filter before the fuel pump. Either would cause problems as you've described.

Ken
  • typerrspec789typerrspec789 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Toyota Corolla with power mirrors. The problem is that when I first start driving, the mirror will lower slightly. Then once I continue driving, the mirror will lower more. What can I do to fix this problem. I would like a response/opinion as soon as possible. Thank You.
    Sounds like the mirror motor is worn or broken. Make some calls to your dealer as well as some other local reputable repair shops for quotes and go from there.

Hope this helps.

Ken
  • tomj1tomj1 Member Posts: 1
    Have a 1993 Toyota Corolla DX with 195,000 miles.
    Problem is a perpetual oil leak: 1) on passenger side (back side of transmission oil pan) and, 2) on driver side front of oil pan.
    I have had the following work done: -upper/lower oil pan seals/gaskets, transmission pan gasket, crank and cam seals, valve cover gasket and distributor seal. After all this work, it still leaks in those 2 same places. Is tthere another point of origin that old Corollas could be leaking that a mechanic may have over looked???? Thanks
  • sweetmommasweetmomma Member Posts: 3
    Thank you for responding Ken. :) As I mentioned, I have had the fuel filter changed out already as I thought that it was the problem, but it wasn't. The fuel pump is next on the list, I just don't wanna put alot of money into something if its not the actual problem. Someone told me that it might be the cadillac converters(not sure of spelling) do you thik that thats possible? I appreciate your opinion on this matter, Thanks.
    Could be a catilatic converter, but first guess if they've already replaced the fuel filter is the fuel pump. Either way, I'd have it checked by another shop to get a "second opinion". Actually with the "backfire" it's normally something to do with fuel and gasses building up in the engine. So a problem with the Cat is not out of the question at all. If it is, you should ask the service manager to check with Toyota to see if they may be willing to help you out with the repair costs. Even if they cover just the part cost or just the labor cost, it would help. It certainly won't hurt to ask though.

Good luck on the diagnosis, and please keep us informed of what it turns out to be.

Ken
  • typerrspec789typerrspec789 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Toyota Corolla with power windows. The is that when I push the button for the window to go down, it'll slightly go down. As I drive on more it'll only drop down in small increments. What can I do to fix this problem. I would like a response/opinion as soon as possible. Thank you.
  • priusprius Member Posts: 6
    Did anyone reply to your posting? I have a 2000 Corolla, and the samething is happening to me.
    Sounds like the power window motor is worn out. If it's still in warranty or if you have a service program it should be covered. If not, get some quotes, including some from shops that may have access to rebuilt units or units from a junkyard.

Hope this helps.

Toyota Ken
  • aj2aj2 Member Posts: 12
    hi, it was the left front backing plate on my car, they replaced the plate, it has since been quiet now....
  • petuniageneralpetuniageneral Member Posts: 2
    Please Help! How do I remove dried stuff from the rear lights on my 2004 Toyota Corolla CE without scratching them? I also have tar like stuff on my trunk that I am unable to remove. If anyone has any answers, please let me know. Thank You!
  • tjdepere2004tjdepere2004 Member Posts: 40
    Please go to an automotive supply store and buy Small can tar remover and try it on the Gunk.
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Member Posts: 288
    Sounds like air is trapped in the cooling system.
  • petuniageneralpetuniageneral Member Posts: 2
    Thank You tjdepere2004 for your advice.
  • xiaoshashaxiaoshasha Member Posts: 1
    just bought one CE from a dealership. the car has 47000 miles on it. while accelerating the car, we felt that it was sort of jumping whenever we accelerated. it is so hard to describe what the car was doing but it was just not smoothly got accelerated. Could someone help us on this. We were wondering if we bought it from a dealer, who should check transmission, engine, etc. so we don't need to have those checked now right?

thanks a lot!
  • toguytoguy Member Posts: 20
    If you mash the throttle while accelerating, it's normal for the transmission to be slightly jerky, if that's what you mean. Both the 2002 and 2003 Corollas in our family do that. However, accelerating gradually shouldn't produce any jerks or "jumps".
  • ponygirlponygirl Member Posts: 1
    My driver side window (manual) seems to have come off its track (it fell down inside the door and won't roll back up). I don't think it's broken, so I've been told that I can remove the inside door panel and simply put the window back on track. But I can't seem to figure out to remove the door panel! I've gotten it loose around the edges (the yellow plastic "snaps" all seem to be unfastened), but I think maybe the window lever is still attaching the panel somehow or something. Can someone please tell me the correct steps to take to remove the inside door panel (or some other way to access the window)? Thanks so much!!!
  • gatogonegatogone Member Posts: 1
    Started up the car one day and no AC. Push the button and the light comes on. It looks good, for it dosen't blink, but nothing. no condensor, nothing kicking on. Checked all fuses, fans work, but nothing is happening!
  • intu79intu79 Member Posts: 1
    my car came with a combo CD/tape deck that suddenly went bad a few thousand miles past 36K so no warranty... it looks like the indash unit occupies 2 slots or bays (is this called dual-din?) and i'd like to replace it with a cd/mp3/tape dual-din deck like this one:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7245466&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmca- t52600050007&id=1115365494317

problem is, I don't know if this unit fits the space in my dashboard...looked all over the internet for more info about this but couldn't find much
    any help in the right direction would be appreciated...
    Thanks
  • grandtotalgrandtotal Member Posts: 1,207
    One possibility on such a new vehicle is that a rock may have damaged your condensor.
  • 5rich5rich Member Posts: 1
    Every day when I back out of my driveway,my brakes squeak.I have 775 miles on this corolla.The dealer says the brakes are ok.What should I do??
  • babs1babs1 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2001 toyota corolla with 76,000 miles on it. One day I put a
    quart in the engine, the next day no engine, no warning just no power. I
    had a guy get a used engine from a junk yard and had it installed. The
    engine came used from auto zone. Now THIS engine is burning more oil
    than the one I had. A second mechanic said it is the rings in the newer
    engine that cost total 1800. The newer engine was also a 2001 with about
    the same amount of miles. At first, my brother thought the mechanic
    used the old engine parts, but no. How odd to get a second engine with the
    same exact problems as the first!! The second mechanic said TRADE IT
    OFF. I sure as heck can't afford another engine. I wonder how many other
    people are having problems with their toyotas after 70,000??? I am very
    disappointed. I checked my oil all the time, regular maintenance, etc.
    OH, WHAT A ROTTEN FEELING! TOYOTA!!! i SURE WOULD LIKE TO KNOW ABOUT
    OTHERS HAVING THIS OIL PROBLEM. MINE ALSO DID NOT SHOW ANY LEAKAGE BUT
    IT SURE DID EAT IT. NOW, I HAVE TWO ENGINES THAT ARE DEFECTIVE!!
    I WAS TOLD BY A TRANSMISSION MECHANIC TO TRADE IT OFF.

MARY, THIS IS NOT YOUR FAULT, AS MANY COROLLA OWNERS ARE HAVING THIS SAME PROBLEM. SINCE IT IS NOT A SAFETY CONCERN, NOTHING WILL BE DONE.
    BABS
    My mechanic said the problem is with the aluminum engine and the rings. The engines are faulty. He told me he has seen several corollas, suvs, camerys from 1997-2004 with the same problem. They have caused sludge problems, oil burns, and in every case Toyota blamed the owner for improper maintence. I should know I am on my second engine with the same problem as the first. I cheked the stick and added a quart and checked it again. changed my oil every 3,000 miles. With no warning at all, my engine went out.
    Replaced it with a used engine from Auto Zone for $900.00. Now this engine is leaking too. What are the chances of that happening twice? The used engine was the same year as my old one.
    Babs
    How do you know it's rare? What are you basing this on? It has happened to me twice, if you want to talk about "rare".
    Babs
    I am having engine problems with my toyota 2001 corolla. I noticed your respond date was May 23rd. I would really like to get in touch with this reporter. I really need help in this matter
    Sincerely,
    Babs
  • priusprius Member Posts: 6
    Could someone tell me were all the four oxygen sensors are on a 2000 Toyota Corolla VE? If there are any pictures, that would be helpful. "A picture is worth a thousand words"
    Also I found out how to clean the MAF sensor, here is the link: www.4x4wire.com/.../ maintenancep5.html
  • tiger10tiger10 Member Posts: 46
    hey my 05corolla's door locks open when i move it into the Park position(or when i take the key of of hole) can anyone tell me how to fix it. it is very unsafe. i followed the direction on the manual. but it doesnt seem to work. i havn't taken it to the dealer yet. help :cry:
  • edle777edle777 Member Posts: 19
    My dealer tells me that my master cylinder and the right rear strut needs replacing. I have a 99 Corolla with only about 60K km on it. This seems kind of early to have either replaced. I seem to recall the master on my old Accord lasting over 10 years.

Can anyone comment on these things needing replacement after 6 years? Am I unreasonable to expect longer?
  • yc73yc73 Member Posts: 1
    Hey everybody! I just wondered if anyone has a clue as to how to fix dashboard lights in my 90 Corolla. It's the light that lights up the speedometer. I cant tell how fast I am driving.
  • beernutbeernut Member Posts: 329
    I didn't know there were struts in the rear. They are likely shocks, and after 60k, they could need replacement. Shocks are relatively cheap. Struts are not. Don't let the thief sell you struts when you need shocks. My question would be WHY he thinks replacement is needed.

I've never replaced a master in 33 years of car ownership and I drive 'em to over 100k. But anything can happen. My question would again be WHY?
  • edle777edle777 Member Posts: 19
    Hi beernut, thanks for the response.

BTW, the work is being done at the Toyota dealer that I bought the car from.

I picked up the car and replaced the right rear strut due to wear. I had to make a quick decision so I gave the go-ahead for it, but I'll look into it more now. The total cost was $240 Cdn.

My first car, an Accord, needed the master replaced after 11 years. Now this one after just 6. Maybe I'm just hard on the brakes (I didn't think I was). Their comment was the master was leaking internally. I have to admit the brakes were feeling kind of spongy. I'm just a little put-off by the timing. :(
  • corolla1987corolla1987 Member Posts: 4
    Hello everyone,
    I recently bought a 1987 Toyota Corolla LE with 187,600 miles on it for a mere $300. I knew to expect problems in a car this old but hey--it was only $300!
    The body and interior are almost like new....no rust at all .
    When I was driving the car home,I noticed the brake light was on,though the brakes are fine.3 days later the alternator went out.I had it replaced (Auto Zone)
    only to have it to go again a week later!
    Well, Auto Zone gave me a replacement alternator and had it re-installed.
    This time it lasted only 300 miles!This time the charge light came on;it never had before.Auto Zone gave me a replacement yet again. The new alternator is on the car again,but the brake and charge are STILL on!
    The fuses are fine.I really want to get this car fixed--it runs like a champ.
    Can anyone offer any advice? Thanks!
  • reidrootreidroot Member Posts: 1
    I have and '05 Corolla with less than 10,000 miles on it. I have about 10 paint chips on this vehicle. My wife is the primary driver and does not ride it hard.
    Has anyone had positive results from Toyota about this issue?

Also, I have had intermittent starting issues. It cranks but doesn't turn over, until 5-6 cranks.
  • peterwmd5peterwmd5 Member Posts: 1
    my 2001 corolla has a hesitation problem. No matter what speed ....you step on the gas and a full second (seems like more) hesitation occurs. I thouhght it might be dirty injectors...but I put injector cleaner in with a full tank and no improvement........any ideas????
  • ctalkctalk Member Posts: 646
    I had a 01 Corolla LE and i to had that problem but i later found out its normal, i noticed after test driving Toyotas most of them have this hesition problem. Its quite annoying when your on the freeway and you have to overtake someone but have a 1 second delay. Sorry :P but you have to live with this problem i haven't found any things that could solve this delay problem.
    I do have something for you to check regarding the brake light. Check the brake fluid resovior. Often as they brake pads/rotors wear, the resovior is depleted taking up the slack from the worn pads/rotors. As this happens, you can have the indicator light go on. Often, you just have to top off the resovior to have the indicator go out.

Ken
    All newer cars now have to use water-based paints so are more prone to chipping. This is primarily to comply with regulations banning petroleum or lead based paints used on older cars. You may want to look into a "hood protector" for the front of your corolla. They're hard plastic and mount to holes on the underside front of the hood. Should resolve most of the chipping that may occur on the front edge of the hood.

Ken
  • corolla1987corolla1987 Member Posts: 4
    toyotataken-
    Thanks for your advice.I will certainly check the brake fluid--that is a start, at least.
    Hopefully I can get these issues resolved.

Tell me--are Toyotas a good quality car they are famous for?This is my first Toyota;
    all my other cars have been GM products.
    I do know that they are better built as of the body and interior.This Toyota's body and interior is in much better shape than my 1991 Oldsmobile.
    There are always going to be a range of "quality" and "reliability" within any vehicle. But on average, you're going to have a better chance with these things with a Toyota than with many other makes. They are still built by humans with human failings, so there are occasions where they may have problems, but as I said, the chances are less with a Toyota, at least in my belief.

I've owned a Camry, Tacoma, Corolla, Tundra, and Matrix in the years I've been owning and working with Toyotas. I typically get somewhere around 150,000 miles on the vehicles I own (some I've leased) before I trade them in. Have all of them been without any repairs for the whole time? No. Have any of the problems been something that wasn't reasonable for the vehicle, I don't think so either. I had to replace the engine on my '89 Camry after 154,000 miles from a bent rod. I had a sunroof cable snap in my Corolla. I've had shocks, ABS sensors, etc. that have had to be taken care of.

In all cases, I've had extended service programs on my cars and they have taken care of the issues and have paid for themselves. My feelings are they are machines and machines will wear out/down over time and it's just a matter of when and how.

I have customers who have Toyota's with well over 500,000 miles and I've had, over the years, a couple who have had troubles with theirs. I'll be the first to say that they're not absolutely perfect, but in my estimation, it's nice to reduce your chances of problems.

Sorry to ramble, but I hope this helps.

Ken
  • snizavesnizave Member Posts: 19
    I just replaced a bad alternator on my 82 Corolla. The old alternator did test bad, and the new one tests good at the parts store. The problem is that it's not charging my battery. I don't know what could have happened in the past day or so to the charging system unless the wires have become so ancient that I messed things up just by moving them a bit during the alternator installation. The battery has been fully charged and tests good. Does anyone have any recommendations, as I don't really have the cash right now to take it to a mechanic. Thanks,

Mike (aka broke pizza delivery guy/college student)
  • jessica_annjessica_ann Member Posts: 2
    I have the same exact problem with my 2000 corolla i put oil in it and then 300 miles later its empty and there is no leaks.. its been goin on since the day i bought the vehichle the the service deparment at the dealership has tried to fix it 5 times with no success. i would also like to know where the oil is going. :confuse: