Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Tire pressure is either on a label in the glove box, or on the sticker inside the driver's door. My 99 says 30lbs front and rear.
  • toyota_corollatoyota_corolla Member Posts: 6
    Thank you guys for your information.
  • friendly_jacekfriendly_jacek Member Posts: 96
    It has been slow lately. It's so refressing that there are few significant problems posted on this board.
    I used to own subaru and was active on subaru boards (non-Edmunds though). There was excitement daily: blown headgaskets, torque binds, O2 sensors failures, failed trannies, etc, etc. Toyota is indeed boring :-)
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    > Toyota is indeed boring

Oh... I don't think it's that perfect a world.

tomc14, "2007 Toyota Camry Woes" #519, 25 Jun 2006 9:24 pm

is providing enough Toyota problems along with the snap-ring discussion topic which is read only to keep everyone occupied.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• elgringo_68elgringo_68 Member Posts: 2
    c2cp,

You might want to have your serpentine belt tensioner/pulley inspected. These symptoms are very characteristic of what I experienced with my 2001 toyota corolla at 45k miles. I found the assembly on the web for about $127.00 and had a buddy put it on for me.

If you are mechanically inclined, you can check it by removing the serp. belt. If there is any looseness in the round pulley, your hydraulic dampener is leaking or the tension spring feels weak, you will need to replace it. Caution!!!! Before removing the belt, take a picture of it in its original configuration. I did not have a belt routing diagram in the engine compartment as most cars do. Maybe they forgot to put the sticker at the assembly plant. Would have been a nightmare if I had not photographed it with my digital camera.

I'm pretty sure this is the problem!

Good luck
  • blackhawk3blackhawk3 Member Posts: 1
    My wife's 2000 corolla after it sits outside in the heat has a rough idle at start up. It only seems to happen after sitting in the heat. Also when she puts the vehicle in gear there is no acceleration and she has to pump the gas to get the car to move. After a few minutes the car is fine and the idle and acceleration returns to normal. The dealership diagnosed it as a throttle body problem and cleaned and lubricated the throttle body. This didn't solve the problem. Any ideas???
  • bridges13bridges13 Member Posts: 1
    1993 Corolla. When the key is turned on all lights and everything works, but when I turn the key all the way there is no crank. It's like the starter doesn't exist. I removed the starter and had it checked and it passed. I examined the fusable link and it was fine. Do you think it could be the ignition?
  • alex24alex24 Member Posts: 54
    Sounds like a possible case of your shifter not being all the way in park, that would stop the starter from cranking, try holding the shifter up in park while turning the key,can also be poor wire conections to starter, or battery , can also jump the starter to see if it works
    Great, thanks to you I wasted so many hrs reading (just kidding).

What a nightmare for camry owners! I was buying new car this year but stayed away from camry because they are so ugly, the new one even more.

I just got a 2006 RAV4 that is also new for this year with a new engine (269HP 3.5 V6), but the older 5-speed AT design.

I keep my fingers crossed.
  • gonefishing1gonefishing1 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever get it figured out. I have two 2001 Corollas that do the exact same thing. After sitting in the heat they hesitate upon startup and then I can put my foot on the gas pedal to the floor and they won't accelerate at all. This clears up within 2-3 minutes and then they run fine. On one of the cars it occasionally sets a code for running too lean. Any ideas? :cry:
  • toyotaguy8toyotaguy8 Member Posts: 1
    Hi All,

Does anyone know why my Corolla's AT seems to engage twice. I will take it out of park and into drive and there is an initial engagment and then a second later a second engagement. Don't know if it is the motor mounts or the transaxle or possibly a CV joint going out. Any info would be greatly appreciated. :^)
  • sdhasheadachesdhasheadache Member Posts: 1
    My 79 corolla is having starting problems. I have replaced spark plugs, wires, distributor, ignition module and rotor, with no success. I have power up to the distributor, but no fire? HELP
  • ktsenktsen Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I am having the same problem as you did. May I or did you remember the website you order the part? I have checked with the dealer the cheapest price I found was $165.

Thank you for your help.
  • tonton26tonton26 Member Posts: 8
    hi guys!! i am not that knowledgeable in cars. i would like to know if there is a way to disable the drl? since i am going to buy an HID kit, i don't want the thing to be on all the time. thanks.
  • theflushtheflush Member Posts: 100
    A dirty or otherwise faulty MAF sensor can cause rough idling. It might be worth a $4 can of contact cleaner to see if it helps.
  • nightattacknightattack Member Posts: 16
    This might help since I did some research for the same thing. I also want to buy the HID kit. I found out that the DRL's run @ 90% intensity and will fry the ballast in the HID kit. This link will show you how to disconnect the DRL on the 2004+ Corolla/Matrix/Vibe. HOW TO DISABLE DRLs Just scroll down to the Toyota section where the Corolla/Matrix/Vibe links are. Also, some dealers will do this for you, depending on how they feel that day. Hope this helps.
  • c2cpc2cp Member Posts: 11
    elgringo
    hey thanks for your help I'll check that out.
    Would you happen to know the website where you purchased the assembly?
    thanks again

c2cp
  • tallone3tallone3 Member Posts: 3
    Trying to clean then replace MAF if the cleaning doesn't work. The problem I am having is with the two screws holding unit on. They appear to be Torx screws, I have a set of Torx screwdrivers but none of mine fit. I have a standard set from Sears 5,10,15,20. Are these special Torx screws requiring special Torx screwdrivers and/or does anyone know what size these screws are?
  • tonton26tonton26 Member Posts: 8
    thank you so much nightattack!!! by the way how did yours went through? hope everything is fine with your HID.
  • cmichael0910cmichael0910 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2006 Corolla S and I have two major problems. Firstly, there is a clicking noise when I slowly pull forward and turn the steering wheel either right or left. The dealer says it is a brake line issue and it is normal to hear the clicking noise. But, it does not seem natural that it should have any type of noise. It almost sounds if there is a spring/coil-like mechanism making the noise. Secondly, my trunk swings violently open when I lift it, and it has actually hit the back pillars supporting the back window. I have had the trunk serviced three times, and the dealer says they fixed it and they even replaced the rubber stoppers, but it still swings open violently. Only these two problems, and the car only has 2500 miles, and I bought it NEW in November 2005. Any suggestions, anybody?
    --thanks, Cameron.
    You need to go to a different (ie competent) dealer.
    Don't know about 2000 but 2003 has phillips screws on MAF.
  • theflushtheflush Member Posts: 100
    My 2000 Corolla VE has phillips head screws, not torx.
  • penizzlepenizzle Member Posts: 104
    Side from the MAF you said that a couple of lean codes came up. Check the fuel pressure, as the fuel pump is the most common repair on todays cars.
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    i second the recommendation to go to another dealer.

i believe there is a TSB covering your vehicle related to steering noise issues.

avalon (don't know if part shared with camry):
    http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Toyota/1142323200000_1143100800000_ST002-06/21.html

camry (shaft):
    http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Toyota/1140076800000_1141718400000_ST001-06/11.html
    I will heed your advice, and hopefully they will correct the problems. thanks
    Thanks for the advice, I will bring it to the dealers' attention. Thanks again.
  • poliva2poliva2 Member Posts: 25
    Hi Board
    The Passanger Air Bag indicator light ( The middle light ) on my Toyota Corolla Remains on at all times. The on and off Light on both sides remain off unless i have a passanger.. Is this normal??? Thanks
  • penizzlepenizzle Member Posts: 104
    My grandpas Tundra does the same thing and our Sienna does something like that so i think it is normal
  • chuckja54chuckja54 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever solve this problem? The same thing happened to me.
  • rdkellerrdkeller Member Posts: 2
    Can anybody tell me who I can get (or who I need to see) to fix this problem?

Thanks
    Finally found out what the screws are that hold the MAF sensor. They are security Torx Plus screws which require a five pronged special torx screwdriver, and according to the internet research I did they don't sell these to the public. But I think I can get a set from e-bay. Question for those in the know where exactly is the MAF sensor? Are the screws that hold it in facing the front of the car or are they in the back? I found two possible things that could be the MAF sensor but not exactly sure which one it is.
    Finally found out they are special screws, security torx plus, requires a special five pronged driver which according to the internet aren't sold to the public.
  • elendtelendt Member Posts: 1
    My '98 Corolla also shakes at speeds above 60 MPH, and I have terribly irregular tire wear... you suggest having my wheel bearings checked? (I have bought too many new tires in the past two years for a normal driver, and I don't speed!!) :mad:
  • rdkellerrdkeller Member Posts: 2
    Have the rims checked. I had the same symtoms on my 2000 corolla and it was because the idiot that had the car before me put "sporty" rims on the car.
  • ktsenktsen Member Posts: 2
    Thanks. I bought one from the dealer ($165) and replaced it next day and it took me about 30 mins to replace it. Now it ran much quiet now. I got your website and next time I will get it from them if someone else need this part.
  • baltychenbaltychen Member Posts: 50
    Hi, Anyone can help or you have the same problem??

My driver side window will drop by itself (2") after I start to crank down the window.

Is this normal?? :confuse:
  • patmceachinpatmceachin Member Posts: 3
    The TSB Codes you gave worked great. I had them look at the car 5 times before talking with you about the codes. I gave them the TSB codes back in Aprl and they reset some computer, no problems since. Thanks a million for the info.
  • veera24veera24 Member Posts: 1
    My corolla is automatic (1999), with 110000 miles on it. The car vibrates violently at low speeds (with periodic grinding noise). When I come to a full stop and apply the brake (on red signals), I hear a continuous rattling noise. If I remove the brake and accelerate, the rattle stops (but grinding noise and vibration still there at low speeds).

(The noise does not come when I shift from 'D' to 'P' position on long red signals.)

If you found out the problem, please tell me what it is :-(

I have driven 500 miles non-stop with this condition, as I said before the problem is only at low speeds and complete stops and the car is OK on the highway

This problem is there ever since i took the car to my new mechanic 2 mths ago, has he done any goofups??I will never know...
  • poliva2poliva2 Member Posts: 25
    Hi
    When coming out of park after my car has been sitting overnight or for more than an hour,there is a sharp ping noise that lasts for a second when i accelerate.. Any guesses?? Thanks
  • mark86213mark86213 Member Posts: 2
    Yesterday evening, I started my car and noticed that the instrument panel lights failed to turn on. After fiddling extensively with the light controls to no avail, I hopped outside the car to see if the tailights were on.....but they too were not working. After replacing the fuse for the instrument panel/tailights, they still don't work. Any ideas?
  • mark86213mark86213 Member Posts: 2
    bttt
  • mace242mace242 Member Posts: 12
    I went today to pick up the 06 w/ 6,300 miles on I just purchased. I didn't get 1 mile from the dealer when the check engine light came on. I turned right around and drove it right into their service bay where they hooked up their little computer thing and out popped a code for a malfunctioning catalytic converter. They told me it was probably the sensor that needed replacing, not the converter itself and ordered the part. My question is: does this seem like a freak, bad luck problem or is this just a sign of things to come? Also, between Tuesday (when I bought the car) and today (when I picked it up) it was suppose to have been given a complete and total "safety check." It is really plausible that this problem did not exist until I drove less than 1 mile off the lot? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    An 06 with 6300 miles is a use car? or a demonstrator? What history do you know about the car?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• sanholdsanhold Member Posts: 4
    Hi there!
    Sorry to hear about your troubles. I'm having the same exact problem with my 2005 toyota corolla S. I've had it for 1-1.2 yrs now. Ever since I've had it, it has been not always started. It will start in the mornings or whenever I first start the car but after it has been started that day it won't always start up again. Sometimes it take 2 or 3 tries before it will start again. My dad had the same exact problem with his 2005 toyota corolla ce. he brought it in to the dealer and they replaced the fuel pump. After a few months it started doing it again and my dad finally just decided to sell. I brought my car in to a toyota dealership and they didn't attempt to fix anything because they said it started up fine for them and they have checked out everything and everything seems to be working fine like it should be. Right now I'm up to 30,000 miles and I'm probably going to trade it in for honda or possilby a 2007 toyota if I don't hear of anyone that has found a solution to this prolbem. I just afraid that when the warranty expires I will be the one who has to shell out the money to fix it, if they can determine what it is and that can take a lot of fixing something that doesn't need to be fixed to begin with. If you have had a solution, please let me know. I would really love to hear from you regarding this. Like I said, I'm at the point within the next few weeks of getting another vehicle and losing out on a few thousand dollars.

Susan
  • sanholdsanhold Member Posts: 4
    My car always starts up the first time it is started in the mornings or when the engine is still cold. The problem is after it has been started for that day or within a few hours it doesn't always crack over and start. Usually after the 2 or 3rd try it will start. My dad had the same problem with his 2005 toyota corolla ce. he brought it in to the dealership and they replaced the fuel pump but within few months the problem came back and it wouldn't always start.So he sold it. So I decided to bring my car to the dealership and they said everything is working fine and the car starts right up for them. They didn't even attempt to try and figure out what the cause could be. Basically they just don't know what the cause is and it could be too many things for them to repair. I'm located here in san antonio and I'm hoping someone else might have had better luck and can let me know the outcome to the solution. Otherwise I'll end up selling my car as well and buy a new one and be out a couple of thousand dollars. Ugh! I hate the thought of that.
    Susan
  • kpuddenkpudden Member Posts: 1
    I have just over 100K on this car, i have replaced the plugs, wires and air filter a while back, and the problem has not gone away and now it is getting to the point where the car stalls. Any ideas? I have run "SeaFoam" injector cleaner though without any noticible change. I am going to replace the fuel filter today and if that doesn't do it, i guess i will take it in to get the injectors cleaned professionally. I just don't want to spend a ton of cash if its something simple i can fix. Thanks!
  • mace242mace242 Member Posts: 12
    The car was a service loaner. Told me it was taken out simply because of the demand for late model "used" Corollas.