Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• nightattacknightattack Member Posts: 16
    I had the same problem; read post # 2394 and it should take care of this - good luck.
  • sanholdsanhold Member Posts: 4
    Hi, Thanks for the reply. If you don't mind me asking what make and year was/is your vehicle? How long ago was it when you took your car in to be fixed and it hasn't had any problems since? If you have a 2005 corolla they may not give me a hard time about looking up the #'s you gave me, but if it is a different make/model/year...I'm sure they'll give me a hard time like they did last time. I have made a print out of your email so I can take it into the dealership.
  • sanholdsanhold Member Posts: 4
    Hi, Thanks for the reply. If you don't mind me asking what make and year was/is your vehicle? How long ago was it when you took your car in to be fixed and it hasn't had any problems since? If you have a 2005 corolla they may not give me a hard time about looking up the #'s you gave me, but if it is a different make/model/year...I'm sure they'll give me a hard time like they did last time. I have made a print out of your email so I can take it into the dealership.
  • dmathew347dmathew347 Member Posts: 80
    My 2000 Corolla is having problems with its seat belt light. When the belt is clicked in properly, and is in its normal taut position, the Seatbelt Light comes on, but the light disappears if you pull the belt lightly to give it slack and make it slightly loose. Nothing seems out of place with the belt, and during normal driving, everything seems fine with the belt. The light however won't go away, unless i pull on the belt and keep it loose. Can someone offer me any advice on this. Thanks.
    I have a 2005 corolla S with the same engine. I had the same problem and was very frustrated. I took the those TSB#'s to the dealer and they gave me NO TROUBLE AT ALL and took the car right away. I've had NO TROUBLE since then. I THINK the reason why they gave me no lip was beacuse they had no knowledge of the fix for that particular problem and saw it as a relief. I too had the famous "couldn't duplicate the problem" from the dealer, until I found these TSB's. Also, click on this link and enter your Model/make/yr and it will give all the TSB's on the corolla: Office of Defects Investigation Good luck!
  • penizzlepenizzle Member Posts: 104
    What kind of noise is it. It could be an exhaust leak.
  • c67c67 Member Posts: 2
    I have been having the same problem. The code readers all come up with a message that it is running lean on bank 1. I was told that the problem was the main oxygen sensor - replaced it but it didn't help. Also told that the throttle body was dirty - had it cleaned but it didn't help. Also have found the fuel pump does not seem to be priming the system correctly - but can't locate the problem (relays test okay ).
    The fuel pump doesn't have a prime. The repair manuals like haynes aren't right. Toyotas dont prime. The fuel pump should hold about 21 psi after shutoff so the engine can start easy. The fuel pump only runs if the engine is cranking or running. If you get lean codes, here are things to check:::: Fuel pressure, intake leaks, vacumm leaks, MAF sensor, ECM... Check those first.
  • annajannaj Member Posts: 2
    I'm also having problems with my standard am/fm/cd stereo system. I've brought my car to the dealer 3 times with the same problem, the stereo will randomly turn on and off (the faceplate looks like the stereo is on, but I get no sound from the speakers. I also hear a popping noise by my rear speakers when I turn the radio on.) I have been repeatedly blown off by the service dept. at the dealership, because they are unable to "recreate the problem." I'm about sick of this car and it only has 16K miles on it. Is anyone else having problems like this?
  • allgamenaballgamenab Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Toyota Corolla CE. For two years I have been trying to solve this noise problem. I first heard it coming from the inside the car on the passanger side dashboard where right against the window where it meets the hood. It does it randomly when I am driving and idle. It does it a lot repeatedly when idle and when I get out of the car I hear it coming from under the hood. When you put the least bit on pressure on the hood the noise stops totally. Take pressure off, it starts again. It is like a load clicking noise/pinging and/or loose noise. It sounds like it is coming from the top left part of the hood where it right before the wiper cover meets the windshield. I've taken it to Thompson Toyota in PA repeatly for 2 years and they have no idea what it is. They ripped apart the dash, insulated the dashboard plates, tightened up the dash clips, realigned the hood, sprayed and tightened the latches in the hood, taped wires up...and NOTHING. It still happens! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh and there is also a crackling noise coming from the center of the dash which I believe has something to do with the air vents. My e-mail is allgamenab@yahoo.com
  • rsonersone Member Posts: 5
    Try a higher octane gasoline. Just a guess. Roger
  • rsonersone Member Posts: 5
    If the check engine light was on before you drove the car and the code was cleared that would have put the light out. Once the computer sees the problem again it will put the check engine light on again. I am guessing this is probably what happened to you. Some vehicles will hold a history of codes in there memory, you might want to ask another dealer if this is so with the corolla, and if so take it to another dealer to have the history checked. It is also possible if the battery was disconected that all history would have been cleared from the computers memory. Good luck . Roger.
    Try relacing the motor and transmission mounts. Those are probably causing vibration.
  • poliva2poliva2 Member Posts: 25
    My VSC indicator light on my 2006 Corolla does not go on when i turn the ignition Key. I do see the Letters VSC in my console when the sun is shining on it. All the other indicator lights go on. Does this mean I dont have VSC or is there a malfunction?? Thanks :confuse:
  • limelime Member Posts: 9
    The CEL (Check Engine Light) comes on and off these days, I found out the error code is P2716 "PRESSURE CONTROL SOLENOID "D" ELECTRICAL", someone said it is relating to the transmission, could anyone tells me what is the real problem?

I want to bring the car to the dealer, please advise if they still can computer out the error code in case the CEL does not come out by the time they have the car?

Need advice for the above ASAP, thanks a lot.

Lime
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    The vehicle should still be under warranty (depending on the mileage). It likely has nothing to do with the transmission. The problem could be as simple as bad gas, a defective gas cap, or an 02 sensor problem. A reset may be all that is required. The repair should be covered. This is not new. Good Luck.
    You're wrong. That code does have to do with the tranny. Transmission solenoids are under warrrenty so dont worry about paying big bucks.
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    The message should be referred to lime. I'm not the one with the problem. Until the dealer verifies it, no one knows what the problem stems from. That's the point I was trying to make. As we both stated it should still be under warranty.
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    i don't think all models/trims have VSC.

did the dealership provide you with the window sticker from the manufacturer? it should be on there.

for the 2007's the specs are here:
    http://www.toyota.com/corolla/specs.html

so if it is the CE model, probably not.
    for the 2006, maybe you needed to get the LE to get VSC.
    sorry, i don't know.

there also appears to be an ownership link:
    http://www.toyotaownersonline.com/?s_van=GM_TN_OWNERSERVICES

maybe if you register, you can determine this by your VIN number.
    Further to message #2584
    Thanks for the infos, I am going to bring the car to the dealer, I need to know if the error code will be stored as the CEL (check engine light) is on and off all the time, which means it might appear in the morning and disappear in the afternoon, or appear today and disappear tomorrow, I just afraid the dealer refuses to inspect the car in case the CEL is off by that time. Please give me an expert advice that if the dealer still can find the error code if the CEL is off? Thanks
  • jmellon1jmellon1 Member Posts: 1
    I drive a manual '99 Corolla with 110,000 miles. In the past couple of months, with the problem getting progressively worse, the car feels like it is slipping out of gear, especially in 1st and 2nd. When I begin to accelerate, the car will lurch like it's not getting enough gas. If I keep giving it gas, it will eventually "catch" in gear and will accelerate normally. Any suggestions on what's causing it and how to fix it?
  • baltychenbaltychen Member Posts: 50
    Hi,

I would like to replace the spark plugs for my corolla but the two plastic screws on the rear of the engine cover give me problem. I don't know how to unscrew them. Should I pull then straight up, turn counterclock wise??

Any one can share his experience? Thanks. :confuse:
    I have an 05' Corolla S; when I installed my air intake I had to take off the plastic cover. I used a ratchet (forgot what size socket) and removed the 4 bolts, counter-clockwise. It was easy. Let me know how it goes; I want to change my plugs too. Also, tell me what kind of plugs you installed. Thanks.
  • cshawncshawn Member Posts: 2
    almost every time when I shift gear from P to R, there is always a 'bon' that sounds is from front left of the car. what is that noise? Thanks a lot :confuse:
    What do you mean "bon". If you mean a bang or a thud, it sounds like motor and or tranny mounts not supporting good enough. There are various noises that com e from the front left, such as clicking solenoids when the tranny is shifted or such. Can you describe the noise better?
  • cmrpcmrp Member Posts: 1
    I am facing the same problem - I have replaced my tire,but the
    MIDAS tech said $600 for replacing the rear struts. I am not sure if it costs so much. How did you fix your problem?

Thanks!!!
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Are there any common problems or design flaws that have still not been remedied on the latest 2007 Corollas?

Some Toyotas have transmission issues etc..

There is a new, fully redesigned Corolla only months away. It will probably look better and drive better, but will cost more and may have first year or first few year issues.

Since I can get ABS, VSC and side air bags optionally on a 2007 Corolla and install an aftermaket AUX input in the stereo, I can't think of anything of substance worth waiting for on a 2008. More modern styling and added driving/riding refinement will be nice, but not for a big price premium.

What are the common problems with the current Corolla sedans?
  • poliva2poliva2 Member Posts: 25
    I get the same noise when i go from park to drive two seconds after accelerating. Its like a Ping noise. It only occurs after i start my car.
  • john500john500 Member Posts: 409
    Nightattack,

Was that an aftermarket cold air intake or short ram intake? If so, who made it? I haven't seen any aftermarket cold air or short ram air intake systems beyond the 2004 Corolla (last year of cable throttle control).
  • cshawncshawn Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for reply. It sounds like a "bang" generated by metal parts that are forced to move. It happens when I shift gear from P to R and from D to R. Thanks again.
  • yl242yl242 Member Posts: 7
    I got a 2004 corolla still on warranty (23,000 miles). There is a plastic/rubber burnt smell in the cabin, especially strong with stop-and-go. The dealer checked it many times (changed the catalytic converter twice), but the smell persists. What is the problem?
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Sounds like a slipping clutch that should be replaced. Try testing it by putting it in 5th at 25 mph and trying to accelerate quickly. If the rpm's go up with little or no increase in speed, that's the problem.
  • lahirilahiri Member Posts: 394
    Bad sensors are responsible for CEL (on and off problem). Apparently, the Govt. regulation that requires replacing gasoline additive MTBE by ethanol has some connection to this problem. Call Toyota for more information. A friend of mine had this problem with his Camry and he also had to replace the sensors. Replacing the sensors will cost you about $200-300.
    Try using 93 grade gasoline and see if that changes anything. If that reduces the smell, then call Toyota for more information.
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    take it somewhere else.

could be underproofing applied to the underside of the car burning off because it is in contact with part of the exhaust system, or a loose part from the fire wall in contact with the exhaust.

could be oil or coolant burning off a hot part.

could be a hose in contact with a part of the exhaust.

it could be many things and the first sign of something bad.

seems like your dealer can't do the diagnosis properly. if the CAT were bad, you'd be smelling a sulfer type smell, not a plastic type smell in my opinion.
    I installed an AEM Short Ram Intake. AEM also makes a Cold Air Intake as well, but it's more expensive. Here's the site: AEM When I purchased my intake (Feb 06'), they were only available for 03-04 Corollas with the throttle cables. Since our Corollas (05 & beyond) have electronic throttles, I didn't have to use all the parts that came with the kit. However, I did have to make a hole in the small rubber tube that connects the metal intake tube and the throttle connector, fit a grommet and put a different plastic tube for the PCV (I think that's what it is). Takes about 1hr for the install and it made a BIG DIFFERENCE in MPG, at least for me. If you want pictures of what I'm talking about, let me know.
    The dealer has found out the code is P2716 (Pressure control solenoid D electrical) which is something related to transmission shifting problem, he said he needs more days to check the car, but he has already stated that the problem was come from the overfill of gas oil, do you think it is possible?
    I know many people in this field have 05 Corolla, please let me know when is the 1st time to change or add the fluid in the transmission? Is it depend on the weather of the city you live?
    If anyone knows anything about the above, please give me some advice. Thanks....
    You need to call Toyota. Overfill sounds like an excuse - the dealer has no business telling us that we don't know how to fill our tanks. And, it's possible that the problem I mentioned (MTBE vs. Ethanol as additive) is not related.

Most Japanese compact sedans need transmission fluid replacement every 30,000 miles and new spark plugs every 30,000 miles. Oil change every 3750 miles, tire rotation/ balancing every 7500 miles, air filter change every 15000 miles. Other services such as coolant system flush, wheel alignment, etc. - only if needed. I don't think this has anything to do with where you live (I don't know whether southern states add anti-freeze like people in snowbelts do... besides these little quirks, the schedule should be same).
  • toyota_corollatoyota_corolla Member Posts: 6
    I have always got reliable feedbacks from you guys and I really appreciate that. I have Type 3 audio system (that's what the manual says). But I was unable to locate where to load an audio CD. There is no slot on the audio system like conventional CD player. Can someone help me out with this?

Thank you.
  • grandtotalgrandtotal Member Posts: 1,207
    I can't think of anything of substance worth waiting for on a 2008.

On it's own, a steering wheel adjustable for reach as well as tilt, would be enough for me to change.
  • yl242yl242 Member Posts: 7
    Thank you, user777. I check the coolant level, it is down from Full to a little bit above Low. I topped the coolant to Full and the smell is reduced. I will continue to monitor the Coola nt to see if there is any leaking.
  • badgermac74badgermac74 Member Posts: 1
    OK that's a loaded question!

Bought an 06 on June 1 with 8400 miles on it. Turns out it was a "rental car" from another dealer that runs a rental company (probably for body work, etc.).

Car was fine, minor issues - the back cloth seat cover was unhooked in back on the passenger seat, and the armrest compartment cover was a bit loose. Did get the extended 6/100k warranty on it.

Heard a dragging about a week ago under the car, turned out it was that plastic covering that goes around in teh inside of the wheelwell. It came off in front, dragged, rubbed away, etc.

Called my local TOyota Dealer (Wilde in MIlwaukee) last week. Told them abotu it, said to bring it in, they'll see if it's under warranty. THey said they had to transfer me to parts to see if the part was in (?? why can't you do it? You're right there!). Parts said it was at an off-site location, they could have in. I had to schedule an appt. have the service advisor make sure to have them order the part. A week ago remind you - so they transferred me back to service, same fella I talked to originally, he scheduled me for a week from that day (yesterday), and that they'd order the part.

Got there yesterday, they took the car back. Came back told me it wasn't under warranty because I damaged the vehicle. OK, well it's a he said/she said situation. I did walk through the car with the gentleman working the deal with me and we saw a bit of grinding on the underside of the ground mouldings (it's an S model), but I didn't get under there to see if there were problems with the underside. The topper? The used car guy was a J-A-- to me about it, said it wasn't his problem, and the service advisor (same guy I talked to last week) said the part hadn't been ordered.

I've called Toyota to file a complaint, they opened one up for me, and I've got an appt. with another local dealer tomorrow to fix the issue. Shoudl I worry about other issues I may find with the car? I did a carfax check and found nothing, no accident reports with that VIN either.
    Please help me for the following questions:

1) I am in New York city, my 05 Toyota corolla is still under warranty, please advise if I have to go to the original car dealer to fix the car or I may go to other Toyota dealer?

2) The original dealer would not not charge me because the car is still under warranty, would the other dealer do the same thing?

Thanks a lot....
  • danielj6danielj6 Member Posts: 285
    As a general rule within the warranty period you can take your Corolla to any dealer's svce. dept. you wish.

If you choose to take your car to the same dealer who has been performing scheduled maintenance (if you had), they know you and your car. A Toyota service department that you never visited before might want to see whether the problem was caused by "owner negligence" and if they decide it was they will charge you.

I also live in NYC and my Corolla was never serviced by the dealer. When something went wrong I had no choice but to bring it to a dealer. It was a hassle, but I got it repaired at no cost.
  • brymil1brymil1 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know where the parking brake adjustment is on a 2005 Corolla? I know on older Corollas is was located under the center console but would like to confirm this before I take it apart on my 2005.

Thanks!
    You are so lucky !!! My brand new 05 corolla had a problem only one week after I took the car from the dealer, and now a year after I got another problem in this car. According to my experience, the original dealer would try to put the blame on the car owner too, that is why I wanted the "second opinion" from the other dealer.
  • danielj6danielj6 Member Posts: 285
    The trouble with my Corolla happened during the Spring of 06 and was a VDV(Vacuum Switch Valve)failure. The car ran flawless before the problem and after the fix. My issue was with dealer service. Also the car had a scratch after I picked it up which wasn't there before. I was so eager to get out of there that I didn't check the condition of the body. I wrote a good letter to Toyota, but did not get nor did I expect a reply.

From what you say is a good idea to go to another dealer. What was/is the problem with your Corolla?
    I wonder where did you write to? If you wrote to Toyota within USA, I don't think you can get any feed back, as all dealers only taking good words so they can pass the same to Japan Headquarter for showing that they are doing good job here, they don't want to listen or respond to any complains.
    I wish I could have the website and email address of Toyota Japan Headquarter, if anyone knows, please let me know, greatly appreciated !!!
  • chicagotomchicagotom Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1997 Toyota Corolla that I am having trouble with lately. Every so often when I go to start the car, it does not start. I turn the key and nothing happens. What is interesting is that if I quickly turn the key three or four times it will eventually start.

When I turn the key, no noise is made, the car is just dead until the third or fourth quick successive try. I just replaced the battery so I know that is not the problem. Does anyone know what might be wrong with the car?

It seems to get worse when it is raining outside. I am guessing I have a short of some sort in the electrical system, but I am not specifically sure.

Any ideas or thoughts on this problem?

Thanks!
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Very likely a starter motor solenoid - do you hear a click when the engine does not turn over? Time for a new starter or just the starter contacts, I would bet.