Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• geodrivegeodrive Member Posts: 20
    Fuel consumption of my 09 corolla has suddenly increased. Earlier a full tank used to give me atleast 550Km (even more sometimes), but now its giving 465 to 475 km with a full tank.
    First two services are done. I also got that brakes issue fixed from toyota for which toyota canada recalled all 09 corolla and matrix.
    Last week I took it for 2nd service to toyota dealer and informed him about the fuel consumption problem. But they said we don't see anything wrong with the car. So it is what it is.
    I have noticed that earlier with a full tank it used to show me around 630Km Range reading but now the same range reading is shown as 515km with a full tank.

Any ideas ? I know heating could make it happen but its still not that cold weather.
  • JDM5LugHatchJDM5LugHatch Member Posts: 30
    Poor fuel consumption can be caused by several factors. The main reason for this time of year is the switching to winter fuel blends. Other things to check and replace are your tires air pressure and air filter. Might also want to run a can of BG 44k through your fuel tank on the next fill up and use Shell's Premium 91/93 fuel at the same time as it has a cleaner in it as well. Also, switching to a synthetic oil if you haven't already might help and it will extend the oil change intervals. I prefer Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic as it has the best VOA's (virgin oil analysis) and UOA's (used oil analysis) I have come across. Well worth the switch in my opinion especially if you can't stay on top of 3,000 mile oil change intervals.
    Are you traveling under bridges or heavily shaded areas during the daytime when this is occurring? If so it could be the relay turning on and off the headlights. Trying just turning the headlights on and see if it still occurs. Hard to diagnose this from just reading a post. However, if it is a relay this could be it. Also might want to check the under panels to make sure they are all secured. Sometimes it's even something as simple as your keys hitting the dash.
    Thanks for you response.
    My current mileage is 15000 km. Do you think a fuel additive/cleaner will really help? I am not sure as it is my first car here.
  • grandtotalgrandtotal Member Posts: 1,207
    Well worth the switch in my opinion especially if you can't stay on top of 3,000 mile oil change intervals.

Oil change intervals for the 2009 Corolla are 5000 miles / 8000km, or every 6 months, whichever comes sooner.
    Fuel additive/cleaner should be unnecessary. I'm guessing you are in Canada because you refer to km. In that case use regular gas from Sunoco, Shell or Petro Canada and you should be fine.
    Oil change intervals for the 2009 Corolla are 5000 miles.

Actually it is 5000 km (~3000 miles) for first 2 services and then after 8000 km (~5000 miles). This is as recommended by Toyota.
    But Mr Lube guy said that you should do an oil change after every 5000 Km (~ 3000 miles).
    Yes I am in canada and using regular petrocanada from day 1 I bought this car.
    As I mentioned earlier I am surprised why car range reading has changed from 600+ km to only 515 Km now. Only after 2 services.
    Actually it is 5000 km (~3000 miles) for first 2 services and then after 8000 km (~5000 miles). This is as recommended by Toyota.

Please refer to this page, and click on the 'Full Schedule' tab.
    Thanks Man...you are correct. I was in wrong impression....due to this Mr Lube guy...

Would you recommend something else for my fuel consumption problem ? or do you think it is ok have 470-475km with one full tanks.
    I have three pieces of advice for you.

Stay away from Mr. Lube, have your car serviced at a Toyota dealership. It doesn't really cost any more.
    Find out how to remove the cabin air filter (it's in the Owner's Manual). Remove it and vacuum it clean every 6 months or so. That way it will last you two or even three years instead of one. Make sure that you specify you don't want the dealer to replace it when you take the car in for service, unless it needs it.
    Don't fret over your fuel consumption, it will pick up again next spring.
    Alrightyyyyyyyyy...I will stay away from Mr Lube types...
    Will learn Cabin air filter removing and cleaning....and wait for next spring :-)

This time toyota dealership guy told me that on next service (around 22000km) he will change my cabin filter as it will get very dirty by that time. But I will check myself before that...
    Thank You very much and hope it doesn't snow much this winter !!
  • debjeffdebjeff Member Posts: 9
    I was told by the dealership and another shop that I need a power steering flush. My 2007 Corolla has 44,200 miles. Is this necessary or is there something wrong with this car? What is the cost for such a job?

Thanks.
    That's considering it's all highway miles. Stop and go traffic and a lot of short trips here and there are considered extreme which should be 3,000 mile change intervals. Pretty much all of the manufacturers have been recommending 5,000 mile oil change intervals since around 2002 or so. Regardless I still feel better doing it at 3,000 miles with dino oils and 5,000(extreme)-7,000(highway) miles on full synthetics. Call it peace of mind.
    There's nothing wrong with the car. They are just trying to squeeze more money out of you. I'd wait until 60k or 75k miles to do it personally. I did the wife's '04 around 70k I believe and that was a little over a year ago. It does need to be done but I think it's a bit premature at this time.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Agree - dealer trying to make extra money.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    way too soon for that. Double it, then do it.
  • terceltomterceltom Member Posts: 1,024
    44,000 miles is about right on track for transmission oil change. However, I highly discourage a flush, just a drain and refill is the way to go. I've herad too many times of trans. malfunction after a flush and refill.
    he said power steering flush, tom.
  • tankbeanstankbeans Member Posts: 585
    Hello all -

I am new to the forum and, therefore, have not read any previous posts. That having been said I just got back from Tires Plus to get the tires on my car, not the Corolla, rotated and while there I asked how much it would cost to replace the rear suspension components on the Corolla, my brother's car. I was quoted $692.xx for 2 struts and 3.5 hours labor.

Does this sound reasonable?

Also, while I'm here, in 2007 my brother took this car in because it was jumping slightly and was told that there was a short in the electrical system somewhere. The technicians supposedly did something with the master wiring harness and it quit for a bit and came back. Has anybody else experienced this? How did you fix it?

I appreciate the help in advance. We're trying to keep this car running for a while since none of us can afford to replace it.
    Correct, flush was discouraged and drain and refill was recommended, just my oppinion!
    Hmmm...interesting since your car does not seem to have rear struts, but rather shocks.

ANYWAY, about $180 for parts (plus tax) + 2.4 hours labor. Here in California, at $100 a hour shop time, figure $450 tops for good quality parts.
  • anthony30anthony30 Member Posts: 1
    Hey,

New to the forums. Hope this is the right place to ask this question.

Was wondering how I could go about finding a compatible all-in-one radio (tape, cd, etc) for my Corolla? Is there a process behind it? Do I have to buy it from Toyota or can I get just any-old radio from Best Buy?

Here's why I ask: Ran a quick search late last night and most of the radios that popped up were really thin in height - does that matter? Will the installation shop I take it to fill the gap in my dashboard? As you can see in the below picture, the radio slot is pretty huge - I'm assuming they'd either have to remove the whole thing and put a thin radio in, or find a custom radio to fit that huge opening? Here's a link to the pic:

http://img142.imageshack.us/i/toyotacorollacdplayer.jpg/

Anyway, can you guys give me your opinions on what needs to be done? I'm slightly clueless when it comes to this stuff, so any and all opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    -A
  • 4barrel4barrel Member Posts: 4
    Dealer ripoff! It's just a wallet flush service.
    LOL, well said !
  • buddys_dadbuddys_dad Member Posts: 2
    When I depress the gas pedal hard in any gear, it feels like the engine has gone into neutral for a couple of seconds before the car actually moves. The tach goes from up from about 2000 to about 5000 rpms before it catches. What could be the problem? I have never had the clutch adjusted. The car has about 87000 miles of mostly city driving. Any ideas?
    Definitely the clutch is slipping. If all city driving that is probably why.
    About all you can do is adjust the free play in the clutch pedal, if there is any. If it's been slipping and you've been driving it like that, it's probably pretty fried by now even if you should get it to adjust a bit. Hydraulic clutch systems don't have much adjustment capabilities.
  • buddys_dadbuddys_dad Member Posts: 2
    So, are you saying that the clutch needs to be replaced? If so, how much? I live in Boston proper.
    Probably about 6 hours labor + a "clutch kit" (pressure plate, disc and throw out bearing and pilot bearing). If they have to remove the flywheel to resurface it, that's a little more time but not much.

Here's a sampleCLUTCH KIT on the internet, but you'll probably be charged more due to mark-up at the repair shop.

Looks like a $750--$900 job, something like that.
    Yes, needs clutch.
  • _sam_sam Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2006 Corolla with approx. 19K miles on it (hardly drive it). Next month it will complete 4 years of purchase. I haven't had a 30 K service for the car although I have had all the oil changes/ other services very regularly.

1. How does it work I mean the services should be done by miles or by time or whichever comes first? I am not too knowledgeable about cars so can't do the oil change etc etc on my own but at the same time , its the only car in the household so don't want it to stop on me hence I want to play it safe. Any advice should I wait or get the 30 K service done now ?
    2. The dealer quoted almost $450 for the 30 K service - Is it a good/fair price for the Washington DC region (any toyota dealers recommendations in the DC area)

Thanks in advance for all your help.
    See the owner's manual maintenance guide that came with your car. It will tell you what needs to be done and when. Basically, it gives you a mileage and a length of time, and you do whichever comes first. For example, it may tell you to change the oil at every 5,000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first.

For 30k miles on a 2006 Corolla, I would change the cabin air filter, engine air filter, oil, and rotate tires. I think that's all that needs to be done, but again, check your owner's manual to be certain, or you can go to Toyota.com and it will tell you, maybe even Edmunds has it. The $450 is a rip - just have someone do what the owner's manual tells you, and you will save money. If you go to a good independent mechanic, you will be fine, and your wallet will too. Just get a good receipt saying what was done, and I recommend using Toyota parts, but you don't have to.
  • ybertybert Member Posts: 1
    08 corolla buzzing sound under rear of car parked in garage key off last about 2 min. not offten ???
    It is normal - see your owner's manual. It is something about checking the fuel system - I can't remember for certain.
  • gardengirl51gardengirl51 Member Posts: 4
    I bought a 96 Corolla looking to be in excellent shape 2.5 years ago (Apr 07) but did not get any maintenance history from seller - who bought it at auction in PA. (I live in Balt. area.) The car had 110K miles on her and I put another 45K on since then, total 155K now. I was talked into a coolant flush (not drain and fill) and also a transmission flush. The engine began idling REAL rough as soon as I turned it on after the transmission was flushed, and it did not get any better over a couple weeks so they ended up flushing it out twice more, finally putting in the best fluid, before it idled ALMOST as smoothly as before the first flushing. After having that problem, I am afraid now to get the engine flushed, even though it has been recommended by The Lube Center the past 6 times I have been there for an oil change, every 3 months or so! I am afraid of kicking up some sludge that is probably happily resting at the bottom of the engine - for now. Will bet it has been 60K miles since it was flushed last, if at all. Should I let them do it?

Also, I have been waiting until my gas tank is on empty before filling it. Is this hard on the catalytic converter or bad for the car in any way? Is there anything I should do to take care of that expensive, essential part? Being out of work - and needing to pass an emissions inspection in about 6 months, I want to avoid trouble ahead if possible! Thank you all for any advice given.
    You worry way too much and spend your hard earned dollars unneccesarily.. Sounds like you got yourself a nice little used Corolla there. Stop trying to flush her to death. Drive her and enjoy her. And fill her tank when ever you feel like it. DON'T FLUSH ANYTHING ever, unless it's absolutely necessary due to some other problem that warrants it. Drain and refill is your best bet on all items you mentioned.
    With regular usage that Cat. should last you the life of the car. I have an 1986 Tercel and a 92 Corolla with the original Cats. on them yet.
  • gardengirl51gardengirl51 Member Posts: 4
    Tom, thanks for the advice, but I want to be sure I understand. Are you saying I do not need to flush the engine, like ever? What about sludge build-up? She has started to burn oil, and I think this means the engine is gunking up.

Because she started to burn oil and I never worried about this, I almost ran out of oil once! Was 4 qts. down in 3 months. So, I have been having them put some Lucas additive (1/2 bottle) in with every oil change the past few months. She now burns less, about 3/4 qt per month. I just go every month to The Lube Center, and they top it off at no charge and do an oil change every 3rd month. They told me not to waste money on a synthetic oil at this stage, that it would probably encourage leaks - they found a very minor one. I am hoping the Lucas stuff will help clean the engine over time. Is this all I should be doing to keep the engine healthy? I get no less than 30 mpg and 37 on the highway in summer.
  • kman08kman08 Member Posts: 3
    I have an '08 S with just under 15K miles. I hear a creaking sound from the rear quarter panel area mostly when driving over uneven surfaces, especially during turns.
    I have a moonroof but the sound doesn' t seem to be coming from there. I've heard it on the left and right sides depending on which way the body is being flexed. If I drive diagonally over a speed bump slowly, I can reproduce the sound. I tried opening the rear doors and trunk as I do this and it is still there. It is still under warranty but I would like to get an idea of what it might be before I take it in and have them start tearing the car apart. Could it be flexing in the rear roof pillars caused by the lack of rigidity from the moonroof? If I push the rear of the car sideways back and forth or try to bounce it up and down, I can't reproduce the sound. Usually don't hear it driving straight and hitting bumps.
    Nothing in a can will stop oil burning. That's a function of engine wear. If your car were burning oil due to being gunked up, the damage would already be irreparable, as the thick gunk would have plugged vital oil passages.

I agree, flushing the engine is a waste of money, IMO, if not indeed risky business. I'm not keen on washing the interiors of engines squeeky clean.

Just regular oil changes, or switching to synthetic oil and longer changes, should be all you'd need.

There's also no credible proof that synthetic oil causes engines to leak. Probably when it does happen, it is correlation (some other condition) not causation.

Of course, being expensive, synthetic oil might be costly to burn.
    Have your dealer check that the rear window glass is correctly installed.
  • hctghctg Member Posts: 1
    My 09 corolla LE (mileage 5k, 11 months old) suddenly won't start at the beginning of this month, and it got towed to dealer and fixed. They said it was engine computer programming error like window's problem (how scary it is!!). About 3 weeks later, two days in a row, it was not starting well, although eventually it started (Hew..). Today, I called towing company, and the car started after the towing truck showed up. Now, I think I got a paranoia and I start to worry whenever I start the car.

I always think that men make mistakes. So I try to understand the small issues of the car such as rattling noise etc. I picked Toyota because of the reliability. However, it is the worst car ever. I never have this sort of paranoia before. Even they do not provide road side assistant!!! I now agree that Toyota is not the same as before.

In less than a year, I start to hate my car, and I don't know how long I can bear this. I really regret my choice now. I think any other company including underrated hyundai, kia and mitsubishi are doing much better job than Toyota.
  • damar1damar1 Member Posts: 5
    My valve clatter use to go away between 3 - 5 minutes, now it is taking nearly twice as long. I have a 2001 Corolla with 73K miles and have been faithful about changing oil every 3 months or 3000 miles. Does the increased time of the valve clatter show a potentially urgent problem?
    Might be time to have them adjusted:

Valve clearance (Cold):
    0.15 to 0.25 mm (0.0059 to 0.0098 inch) for intake
    0.25 to 0.35 mm (0.0098 to 0.0138 inch) for exhaust

This is a fairly tedious job and might take up to 3-4 hours of labor.

Shifty says: "Better valves a little loose than a little tight"....so unless those valves are hammering away, a little ticky-ticky is no big deal.
    Sounds like your judging all Toyotas on your own problem. Toyota is still very much a reliable car, just do a little research. Anyway, keep having them tow it back to the dealer and demand they fix it correctly.
  • mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    Sorry to hear that i have had no issues my 09 Corolla it has started FTET since i purchased 23K ago.

Good luck hope it all gets better for you.

MNF
    Is this something they can visually check? Are you aware of improperly installed rear windows causing the type of noise symptoms I've experienced? Seems like something that would very rarely happen especially since they most likely have robots doing the installation. Appreciate your feedback though.
    Uh, I doubt your getting window noise from under your rear quarter panels. Sounds more like a suspension problem then anything.
    It's hard to tell exactly where the sound is coming from. It could be closer to the rear roof pillars than the quarter panels, in which case the window could be the culprit. But it's not a loud popping sound that startles you. Even the radio at low listening levels pretty much mutes it. I can hear it though because I've become "tuned into it".
    And I've heard it from both sides.
  • daveflintstonedaveflintstone Member Posts: 3
    I was changing the speed sensor on a 93 corolla 3 speed automatic. The retaining clip wasn't on all the way, and the little plastic gear fell out of the sensor and into the transmission. How can I get this out?
    What a complete bonehead I am. Please help.