Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Odyssey vs Dodge/Chrysler minivans

Comments

• Options
    socalawdsocalawd Member Posts: 542
    You confused I'm not suprised!

Then I see on the Honda problem area that Honda is putting new trannys in their new Oddys!!!! Someone else got a whole new engine in their 2005 Oddy with 600 miles.

Yeah let's take two posters and make them all honda owners! Forums like this are awful for really seeing what's going on out there!! There is a investigation on Dodge caravan headlights for 2002. Guess what they replaced 30,000+ under warrenty !! I saw nothing on these boards! It's the same people speading the same discontent! Now JD Powers is the king of all information of coarse CR is the worst rag in the world!! I bought a 2005 Honda I didn't get any input! Also it scored a 4 out of 5 on mechanicial quaility. This is the most important catagory to me they are problems with engine,transmission,steering, suspention, and braking!!

God! I thought Hondas were the zenith of perfection??? I thought Hondas never have problems??? I see comments about Dodges alway being at Dealerships and never lasting more than 80k miles.

I've been coming to this site for some time and I don't see it that way! I have never seen anyone say Honda was the zenith of perfection. I like the safety features better(VSC)! The ride better! The looks better!! The packaging better!! Results may vary!!PERIOD!! I owned a 2001 Dodge Caravan and was honest about the amount of time it was in the shop. I was never stranded but it was a real bummer!! I could have drove it 250,000 mile for the price I paid to buy any new van with the features I wanted!!I think that making things look better by pointing out every flaw you can find(real or imagined) isn't the best way to make a argument!!
  • Options
    Pretty impressive when you think that Dodge can earn same safety ratings as Honda's ACE structure (BTW - it's just marketing hype for "safety cage" something VW created with Golf in 1974). Hmmm and the Dodge is considered an old design even.

It refers to the frontal structure of the van. Here is the information from Honda!
    The Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ (ACE™) body structure incorporates a front-end frame structure that absorbs and disperses crash energy over a larger area. ACE increases Odyssey passenger protection, and makes it more crash-compatible with vehicles of differing ride heights. That dosen't sound like a safty cage to me!!

By ALL reviews, I'm sure you're referring to the glowing reviews in the car rags....such experts that they are. I happen to know a few of these "gods" personally....not too impressed.

I haven't met any of them. The info they gave seemed to be close to how I felt. But I also love alot of cars they hate!! People should look and feel for themselves!

BTW - we are just talking MINIVANS here, not sports cars etc... a few extra G's road holding are meaningless unless you drive like an idiot, or you're passing in unsafe conditions, or riding someone butt to closely. Go buy a 911

Yeah I'm gonna buy a 911!! What wrong with a sporty minivan! Nothing in my book.

If you're buying a minivan for what they're mostly intended for i.e...hauling kids, shopping or hauling.....the DCX vans come out on top. Just check the sales figures. If Oddys were that great, and with all their new capacity, Honda should be leading DCX easily.

The DCX is the van for the masses. It has very very basic vans to top end vans. Honda dosen't want to get into every segment. They have a slow as you go approach! BTW I keep hearing about all this capacity how many vans can Honda make in a year?? Do ya know?? Or is it just more speculation??
  • Options
    dennisctcdennisctc Member Posts: 1,168
    It refers to the frontal structure of the van. Here is the information from Honda!
    The Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ (ACE™) body structure incorporates a front-end frame structure that absorbs and disperses crash energy over a larger area. ACE increases Odyssey passenger protection, and makes it more crash-compatible with vehicles of differing ride heights. That dosen't sound like a safty cage to me!!

It's crash management, not a new concept or technology - just new buzzwords and marketing hype. Ford lowered bumpers on Explorers to ride height concerns. VW/BMW etc....have structures that allow engines to drop down on impact, going under vehicle instead of damaging safety cage. All hype for a vehicle that gets 5 stars along with most other minivans.

I drove the Oddy 5 times, back to back with DCX.......I wouldn't use "sporty" with either.

Check out other areas for Honda capacity. In previous years I believe they were limited to 180k/year, I don't what the top end is any more.
  • Options
    j562002j562002 Member Posts: 5
    My parents owned a 2002 minivan for about 2 years and recently traded in on a 2005. Honda is definetly a great car in some aspects like styling, service, comfortable innovative and power. Bought the car used with 40 some thousand and all the way up to about 80 thousand had no problems after that watch out! Between 80,000 and 98,000 we had to have the tranny we replaced 3 times. Thank God it was under warranty, if not each tranny costs about 5,000 dollars to replace. The transmission started slipping and always made some type of humming/vibrating noise when cruising. The check engine light came on a couple times due to 02 sensors a couple times and actually that's about all the problems we had with it was the transmission which is indeed enough becuase when they have to replace it u are out a car for at least a week each time.

So parents decided to trade in since the van had 99,800 miles and the warranty was up at 100,000 and the dealer said once it hit that they value of the car would drop about 2,000 dollars from the fact that once it does it will be harder for the next buyer to finace the car from a bank once it hits that 100,000 mark.

2005 Honda Odyssey, WOW, what a nice car. I was woken up by my sister telling me that we got a new van so went to investigate and it is such a pimp ride. The car has so much style every where you look. the overhaul works out nice. All the details worked out in new model. The seats are wrapped in leather. There is more leg room over 02 and the positions of the seat more comfy. All controls within reach. Basically the car is great in every aspect.
    It drives like a BMW, The seats are very supportive. The radio is nice and clear although lacking deep bass. It feels airtight, much more quiet inside. headlights very bright, FINALLY cup holders that are very versitle holding about any shape cup you can stick in it and it stayed even around very sharp turns. More cup holders are nice now also. Engine feels great with pleny of power to go around. Although the only thing that I don't like is how heavy it feels with all the new features. The 02 is much lighter on its feet.
    Now as for Dodge minivans I cant say all too much since i havent had the honor to ride in them too much. But from seeing them around and riding in them a little I am not impressed very much. I would hope for their sake they come out with an overhauled model soon. The shape of the van is so lame. I would definetly consider that a grandma van. I think this might be a characteristic of american cars but the van's shockes are very soft unlike the odyssey is very firm and more predicable. The dodge minivan is also bland it looks like all other dodge cars not distinction again unlike honda is very refined. That's all for now
  • Options
    hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    Note this is an opinion based on observation only.The Dodge Caravan and Chrysler Town & Country are the best looking from any angle. The Toyota Sienna is the next best looking. The 05 Honda Odyssey is Ugly from the front and rear, ( where as the 99 to 04 were good looking from the front and rear). The Nissan Quest is dead last, even uglier from any angle. The "beer keg" console on the Quest makes you wonder if it was designed by a bunch of beer loving college students.
  • Options
    It drives like a BMW

ROFL.........LOLOLOLOL, I have owned a few BMWs, own one now, and someone must not drive too much to make such a statement. The only thing you might say reasonable is "The Oddy has a sporty ride" i.e...a little firmer than a Toyota or DCX Minivan, but to mention BMW and Minivan in same posting.....laughable!!!
  • Options
    minivanguyminivanguy Member Posts: 85
    Isn't the BMW a sporty ride? "Please don't take this stuff that seriously"!!! :) I think he said it drives "LIKE" a BMW. Besides there both just vehicles anyway. Or should I put the BMW in a class of it's own like "SUPER CAR"!!! An the ODYSSEY in the class of "MOMMYVAN"!!! Don't take this the wrong way the man is entitled to his own opinions. He's "HAPPY" with the van don't rain down on his parade, because he feel like this van drives LIKE your car. :shades:
  • Options
    Hey Honda actually benchmarked the 7 series when it made the van. Is it a 7 series no way LOL!! But it is faster 0-60, has a faster passing time 45-65, has better braking, and better gas mileage in all the tests I've seen Then the DCX!! I know its a Minivan but I like one that can get out of it's own way. Enjoyed another 340 miles this weekend out to the palm springs area!! A 7 series wouldn't seperate my kids as well as my Odyssey!! ;)
  • Options
    "Benchmarked" that's about it. Lexus and Infineon have made great strides in BMW like handling and performance, with their RWD platforms. Acura isn't close, even with their new 4WD RL....best you can say is "great value for the money". Ohhh and great service...had a TL once.

A 1.4 second dif in 0-60mph doesn't really help the Honda "get out of it's way" that significantly better than DCX, same with a "huge" 4 foot difference in braking.

Gas mileage?? For all the hype of VCM etc.....it would appear the tried and true DCX V6 equals or surpasses the high tech Hondas - just check out chats on MPG in this forum. I for one don't trust the long term reliability of shutting down half your cylinders....no matter if DCX, Honda or GM does it... no thanks, I'll wait a few more years.
  • Options
    jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    "The "beer keg" console on the Quest makes you wonder..."

I always wondered why I liked that center console so much. :sick:
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • Options
    A 1.4 second dif in 0-60mph doesn't really help the Honda "get out of it's way" that significantly better than DCX, same with a "huge" 4 foot difference in braking.

Well I think it does and thats what matters to me so I guess it probably matter to other people!

Gas mileage?? For all the hype of VCM etc.....it would appear the tried and true DCX V6 equals or surpasses the high tech Hondas - just check out chats on MPG in this forum. I for one don't trust the long term reliability of shutting down half your cylinders....no matter if DCX, Honda or GM does it... no thanks, I'll wait a few more years.

Here are the results from car magizines they run usually the same coarse but you want me to look at a place where people complain about stuff TYPICIAL!!

MOTOR TREND

DGC SXT

0-60 10.2 seconds
    60-0 (Braking) 136ft.
    Passing 45-65 5.6 seconds
    MPG 18.4

Honda Odyssey

0-60 8.4 seconds
    60-0 123ft
    Passing 45-65 4.3 seconds 30% faster
    MPG 19.8

Motorweek
    Honda Odyssey
    0-60 8.7 sec
    60-0 130ft
    closed loop MPG- 22 mpg

Truth about cars

Dodge 0-60
    9.7 seconds
    Honda 0-60
    7.4 seconds

I could go for a while but thats the norm of the reviews. There maybe somewhere out there where the dodge is faster and uses less fuel but I couldn't find it. Oh I get almost 22MPG on my EX-L.I used to get 17.5 on a 2001 Dodge Caravan 3.3L. The mileage will go down now that school is starting for my 10 year old 19MPG would be nice for me. Regards!
  • Options
    j562002j562002 Member Posts: 5
    humm lets talk reasonable. the 05 odyssey is about 10,000 dollars less expensive than the 05 bmw 5 series base model. The Odyssey comes with the entertainment center w/ wireless headsets. The 2.5L Bmw has 184 hp while the Honda has 255hp 3.5L and still gets the same gas miliage at 28/20. While you can only fit 5 ppl in BMer u can fit up to 8 in the Mommymobile. Lets see both the bmw and honda offer antilock brakes, side air bags,turnoff air bag feature, anti theft system, Depowered airbag, Sunroof, Electronic Brake Distribution, Vehicle Stability Assist with traction control,heated, body-colored side-view mirrors
    Automatic climate control with separate left/right temperature Ambiance LightingPW, PD, PW,PS All STANDARD. The list goes on so was it not reasonable for me to compare my Honda to a BMW?
    But if you wanted to go big timer with the 530i you would be paying about 15,000 dollars more for all the goods.

Just a few things in common with the not so common. ;)
  • Options
    frodobfrodob Member Posts: 8
    Pretty impressive when you think that Dodge can earn same safety ratings as Honda's ACE structure (BTW - it's just marketing hype for "safety cage" something VW created with Golf in 1974). Hmmm and the Dodge is considered an old design even.

My Saab 96 had a "safety cage" far better than the golf's many years earlier.
  • Options

It's called "Progress", i'm sure the 2005 Golfs have a better structure than a 96 Saab too.
  • Options
    Well I think it does and thats what matters to me so I guess it probably matter to other people!

Based on Sales figures to date, I'd say saving $5000-$10000 is of more concern to more people than a 1.4 sec 0-60 time (using CR's more calibrated testing, than some motorheads roadtripping in Las Vegas), especially since we're talking Minivans, not sports cars.

Here are the results from car magizines they run usually the same coarse but you want me to look at a place where people complain about stuff TYPICIAL!!

So it's ok to use your own complaints about DCX vans .i.e..your 2001 DCX, but not other's posted here....Niccceeeee.

I could go for a while but thats the norm of the reviews. There maybe somewhere out there where the dodge is faster and uses less fuel but I couldn't find it. Oh I get almost 22MPG on my EX-L.I used to get 17.5 on a 2001 Dodge Caravan 3.3L. The mileage will go down now that school is starting for my 10 year old 19MPG would be nice for me

Funny how these glowing reviews never mention the real world price difference. There's no mention of the quality problems or recalls either. These cars rags are given primo vehicles, that have been checked out prior to starting their comparisons. I'd love to see them post 0 - dealership times!!

Notice on Edmund even, they haven't tested a DCX van since 2001! No one's saying the Dodge is faster, I'm saying "so what" for a minivan!!!! If you think a second can save or prevent accidents, you beter buy a Porsche 911 then. Just think how cool you'd be to your 10 year old, dropping him off at school like that instead of a minivan!

As far as real world gas mileage, one just has to review the Honda problems and mileage posts on this very forum. You're personal experience is different. I get 25 mpg on my DCX CG SXT with 3.8 V6 on trips and it's not broken in yet, around town 22 mpg, and towing my 3500 lb coleman popup/tent rv with van loaded I get 18 mpg.
  • Options

It's called "Progress", i'm sure the 2005 Golfs have a better structure than a 96 Saab too.

1) The "96" was the model number. Mine was from 1968.

2) And no... they don't. Those Saabs were built incredibly tough. :-)

It was the only street model I was aware of at the time that didn't need to add a roll-cage in order to qualify for offroad rally races (maybe the Audi).
  • Options
    ctsangctsang Member Posts: 237
    Agree. People who says Ody drives like a Bimmer never driven a Bimmer before.
  • Options
    w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    All SAABs, at least the one's I've owned prior to the GM acquistion, were built like tanks. From the SAAB 92-series (again, these are model numbers, not the year of manufacture), 93-series (both the Inline 3-cylinder 2-stroke & later with the Ford Taunus V4), 96-series (again with the Ford Taunus V4), the 99-series (with the Triumph-built Inline 4 & later with the SAAB Inline SOHC 4), on to the Classic 900-series (with the SAAB Inline 4 - both SOHC and DOHC) - all were exceptionally structurally strong vehicles with rollover protection not found in most cars of today. Early Volvo's were also unbelievably strong from a structural (and, engine) perspective. In fact, late '60s Volvo ads depicted a number of Volvos stacked on top of each other with no roof deformation, including the Volvo on the bottom. The Swedes know how to build tough vehicles.

SAAB was building uni-body structures with a strong safety cage and crush zones front and rear when VW was still producing the original Beetle. Technical details such as engine compartment structural designs to force the engine to submarine the passenger compartment/saftey cage in the event of a front end collision to the trivial, but intelligent, details of running all brake lines inside of the car to prevent corrossion, show that SAAB was one of the first - along with Volvo - manufacturers to take safety very seriously. Note: If you've ever driven on some of Sweden's back roads, you will understand why SAAB chose to place the majority of the brake line run inside the car!
  • Options
    The only thing they have in common is that they both have 4 wheels.
  • Options
    Too bad Saab now just rebadges GM vehicles.
  • Options
    marine2marine2 Member Posts: 1,155
    I think very few people ever bought a van or car because they found out one could stop four feet shorter, or was 1.4 seconds faster than another. Unless of course we're talking sport cars and you wanted the fastest thing on the market. Those comparisons usually come after it's bought, to try and show the van you picked out is better than the other guy's van. Most people go from one dealer to another and compare looks and price and what kind of (goodies) the van has on it. If money is not all that important, you buy the best looking van with the most goodies you can get on it. If money is important, you go looks and more for what you can get for your dollar.

I don't really think there is much of an argument that the Honda is one of the nicest looking vans on the market inside. I don't think they have anything over on the Dodge/Chrysler outside. But I think unless some people are like me and feels a van has one or two particular features that they really want, that the others don't have (like I wanted stow-n-go seats,) looks and price and the goodies, is going to determine what most people buy, not speed, braking or sporty handling.

All these vans handle pretty much the same. There is very little difference in gas mileage, speed or safety. Most wouldn't know if they were driving a four speed or five speed unless it's pointed out to them. So most buy the best looking van they can get or the best they can get for the money they want to spend.

I think Honda gives you a lot of goodies you can't get on the Dodge/Chrysler, but if you want them all, your going to pay dearly for them. Most of us are not willing to pay that price. But when we travel down the street or freeway together, don't think your going to leave me in your dust or think I will burn with envy. Because I think I got one heck of a deal on my van and although it's not as nice inside as yours, I am always ready to use my van for what vans were made to be used for and I never have to go home and take my seats out or fork over thousands more to buy it.

So no matter what, we're all happy with what we bought and we use Edmonds for a lot of bragging rights as to how we did better than the other guy in our choice.
  • Options
    bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    To add to what you said, the people that read/respond to these forums are not a true sample of the average driver. The fact that we're here reading and posting means that we do more research than the average person. So while you may be describing the way the average guy goes out and buys a car, I don't think that's representative to those reading these forums.

That being said, people actually do research vehicles before they buy them to determine which have the better quality, safety, conveniences, MPG, interior noise level, etc... Just like using Consumer Report before buying a washing machine, digital camera, etc...if nothing else to at least identify the real lemons. If I see a lot of black circles for one model of car and lots of red circles for another in Consumer Reports, although I'm not necessarily going to buy the one with the most red circles, if it's a toss up between two vehicles than it's a good factor to use.

I like the stow-n-go seating idea as well, but I've read lots of reviews by people saying that the seats aren't comfortable. If that's the case, then I'd have to do the cost/benefit of how it will be used, but it's good to hear the viewpoints. And the handling differences can be pretty significant between minivans just like between cars. And when it comes to quality, I'd rather have a car that didn't break down with a smaller warranty then a care with a long warranty in the shop every month. Plus the interior quality is something you have to live with every second, so the feeling of solidness in the interior is something that I'm willing to pay extra for. And on and on and on.

Bottom line is that there are people out there looking at the differences before they buy.
  • Options
    Just a few things in common with the not so common.

But it'll never handle anywhere near the 5 series!.

The list goes on so was it not reasonable for me to compare my Honda to a BMW?

No, not reasonable at all - you're comparing apples and oranges. Many cars/vans/trucks have all those same features and there are many features more to list. I think it's fair to say no one at BMW is losing sleep over any Acura/Honda product - maybe Lexus or Infiniti?
  • Options
    Yeah. You obviously couldn't stack a bunch of Saabs on top of each other (unless you had incredible balance), but not because the roof wasn't solid enough.

Saab used to advertise by tumbling the 96 down a steep hill sideways and then driving it away. I bought a 96 "parts car" to swap the engine/tranny out of back in school. When we were done with it, a friend of mine and I took a pair of full-size sledge hammers to it....

... couldn't do much to that roof.
  • Options
    minivanguyminivanguy Member Posts: 85
    "AMEN BROTHA"!!!! :) :shades:
  • Options
    ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    We're getting way off track here, folks. Please stick to comparing Dodge/Chrysler minivans with the Odyssey.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• Options
    On the one hand I like the stowNgo, but then the removable gives you more space. I wish that the 2nd & 3rd rows would fold flat if you need it, but could be completely removed if you wanted the extra space.
  • Options
    fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    How does the removable seats provide more room? The stowNGo fold flat into the floor AND they provide an ample amount of space under the seats wehn they are not folded.
  • Options
    If you put items into the floor compartments, you have to take out all of that before you can fold the seats into the floor. If you had the option of removing the seats, then you could retain the under-floor space if you wanted to. Plus, even though they fold into the floor, I've heard that they are not very comforatble since they made them small enough to fold into the floor. I'd just like the option to remove them. The fact is, folded or not, if the seats remain in the van they are taking up space. Plus I'd rather have a split bench in row 2 like Odyssey or Sienna that folded flat, but had the removable option.
  • Options
    badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    I think DC did a great job with the stow and go. They gave you the sameaximum cargo space without having to remove the seats as previous non stow and go DC vans and you have more cargo capacity with the seats up than you had before, yet you have an issue with having to remove stuff in the compartments when folding the seats. Exactly how much storage room do you really need?

I have seen absolutely no complaints in any of the edmunds minivan discussions from actual owners concerning the stow and go seatsbeing uncomfortable.
  • Options
    I have seen absolutely no complaints in any of the edmunds minivan discussions from actual owners concerning the stow and go seatsbeing uncomfortable.

It's only from non-owners who complain, probably because it's not even an option from anyone else.
  • Options
    I like the stowNgo...I just would also like the removeable OPTION that's all...choice is always better.
  • Options
    I have not really looked at how the front of stow-n-go seats are fastened, but I imagine you could take them out if you wanted. With it being folded, the seats are only fastened in the front as you unlatch the back by pulling on a strap when you want to fold them. There can't be to much holding them in front. It's to late to go out and look now, but I will in the morning.

As for the middle seats being uncomfortable, the other poster is right. The only people who say that, are the people who don't own one. I haven't heard one person that has stow n go say that.
  • Options
    I just looked at the stow seat and how it's attached. No, I would say it's not easy to remove and put back on. It can be done, but it doesn't look to be an easy job to do it.
  • Options
    Based on Sales figures to date, I'd say saving $5000-$10000 is of more concern to more people than a 1.4 sec 0-60 time (using CR's more calibrated testing, than some motorheads roadtripping in Las Vegas), especially since we're talking Minivans, not sports cars.

OK it's not even close to 5000-10000 dollars difference actually the prices where better before Employee Discount(Talk about marketing hype). I went to dodges web site and Put a Dodge GC SXT with rear DVD, Side airbags, and leather. The Price with ED and rebate is 28,132.00. I payed 29,557.00 for my EXL-RES. That's only 1425.00 difference. And you don't get VSC, Power moonroof, Dual Power doors(only one is) Only a 7 inch screen compared to 9 in the Odyssey. You do get a power hatch( which I don't need) Stow and go which I wouldn't use. 5000+ miles and my rear seats been down twice just to show people how it works. Trip computer and overhead storage. I love the lockable storage in my Lazy Susan! So yoiu can keep saying 10000.oo dollars but it's just not TRUE!!! :cry:
  • Options
    kfdmedkfdmed Member Posts: 130
    I would disagree. I payed roughly 28k for a T&C touring signature series in February. It has dual power sliding doors, power rear liftgate, DVD, navigation, leather, moonroof, trip computer ... everything but VSC and side curtain airbags. Also got 0% financing for 5 years a savings of roughly 4k. So if your get the discount/rebate/0% financing at the same time you will save 5k+. The dual power doors and rear liftgate are great to have and I think you underestimate the convenience value them. You love the lazy susan but you would never use stow and go? That makes no sense. The stow and go second row cargo size dwarfs that of the lazy susan. I have never once heard my kids complain about the 7" screen in the van. I really dont understand why people bring up the fact that the honda is 2" bigger. I will gladly take my 7" screen and decent sound system to that of hondas 9" screen and awful sound system.
  • Options
    Can you get a 2nd row bench wih stowNgo? Just wondering because whatever minivan I get I want to be able to seat 3 in row 2 because a lot of time row 3 will be down and I'll just be using the first 2 rows.
  • Options
    I believe you can get a DG Caravan SE with 2nd bench and Stow N Go, BUT the bench does not fold into floor, you have to remove it like a Honda. This does give you extra storage space though. Check with dealer to Confirm.
  • Options
    OK it's not even close to 5000-10000 dollars difference actually the prices where better before Employee Discount(Talk about marketing hype). I went to dodges web site and Put a Dodge GC SXT with rear DVD, Side airbags, and leather. The Price with ED and rebate is 28,132.00. I payed 29,557.00 for my EXL-RES. That's only 1425.00 difference. And you don't get VSC, Power moonroof, Dual Power doors(only one is) Only a 7 inch screen compared to 9 in the Odyssey. You do get a power hatch( which I don't need) Stow and go which I wouldn't use. 5000+ miles and my rear seats been down twice just to show people how it works. Trip computer and overhead storage. I love the lockable storage in my Lazy Susan! So yoiu can keep saying 10000.oo dollars but it's just not TRUE!!!

Ohhh we can sooo play this game all night long. I just built a DCX GC SXT Package P.....$27,225.00. More like $2500 dfference. Then you take your negotiated price from a dealer, and compare it to a website??? Does that seem fair?? You may want to check out more areas of this forum?

My personal experience was more like $10k difference (documented in previous links)...Oddy EX to GC SXT. So it is true for me, as much as $2500 is for you. I'd wager most DCX buyers paid a lot less than the typical Oddy buyer. How many Oddy owners paid MSRP+ for their's??? Plus I got a better warranty. Our Dodges have far less recalls. And at least according to this Forum - many less problems (they're becoming too many to list actually). I love this, the superior Honda vs. the inferior Dodge! I'm so glad I didn't paid for an Oddy - talk about marketing hype there!!!

Honda only makes one door power??? Even on their Touring?

I didn't need a power hatch either but it's one of those things (like TIVO or iPod), once you have em you can't live without em. I use Stow N Go everytime we go camping. Speaking of camping, my Dodge tows more (3800lbs) than ANY minivan on the market.
  • Options
    jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    I've driven the 2005 Ody,and I've driven the 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan. Ody interior nicer...Grand Caravan exterior nicer. Ody better in some things...GC better in others. Ody 5-10k better than DGC...no way. I'd take the extra 5k-10k on nearly idential features and buy the DGC. I don't think the slightly sportier ride in the Ody is worth the difference. That said...if you like one much more than the other...buy it.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • Options
    has been wanting to buy a 2005 with stow n go but he didn't want to buy it new like I did. To much depreciation the first year he said and he 's right. Trouble is, he has found very few on the used car market and they haven't dropped as much in value as he thought. Now he's waiting for the 2006 to come out, hoping to still pick up a 2005 cheap.
  • Options
    So if your get the discount/rebate/0% financing at the same time you will save 5k+.

So if you pay cash you don't have to worry about the finance charges. Honda offered me 1.9% for 3 years which is no where near 5K in finacing. BTW I paid cash. Been saving like I had a car payement since I bought the Caravan with cash. I just want to talk about the price. Is dodge offering 0% now??
  • Options
    Ohhh we can sooo play this game all night long. I just built a DCX GC SXT Package P.....$27,225.00. More like $2500 dfference. Then you take your negotiated price from a dealer, and compare it to a website??? Does that seem fair?? You may want to check out more areas of this forum?

Ok why do you keep refering to your experience as the norm it is not. Here the price from cars direct.com 30,421.00 It's 28,006.00 So even with cars direct prices it's 2,415.00 is that better??Here I'll get the last 4 EXL-RES that only have the price or quote before T and L.

$30,290.00 post 10548, $29,525.00 Post 10515, $30,199 post 10479, and $30,750.00 Post10388.

You keep trying to compare your ED which seems to be a better deal than the ED for everyone and 0% financing! To MSRP+ prices of last september for the Odyssey. Does that seem fair??

I use Stow N Go everytime we go camping. Speaking of camping, my Dodge tows more (3800lbs) than ANY minivan on the market.

So you have no kids. The max trailer wieght I've seen is 3700lbs. Honda's towing is 3500 that is a BIG amount,! Not like I'm gonna tow anything. I like to tent camp I don't need all that extra stuff in my life.
  • Options
    I really dont understand why people bring up the fact that the honda is 2" bigger. I will gladly take my 7" screen and decent sound system to that of hondas 9" screen and awful sound system.

Because its bigger. I like the wireless headphones too!! The sound system seems fine to me but I'm no audiophile!!
  • Options
    You love the lazy susan but you would never use stow and go? That makes no sense

The stow and go has lockable storage in the floor(I lock my stuff in there when I'm hiking, camping, or swiming)?? I never put my seats down or take them out, now do you understand????.
  • Options
    Ok why do you keep refering to your experience as the norm it is not. Here the price from cars direct.com 30,421.00 It's 28,006.00 So even with cars direct prices it's 2,415.00 is that better??Here I'll get the last 4 EXL-RES that only have the price or quote before T and L.

$30,290.00 post 10548, $29,525.00 Post 10515, $30,199 post 10479, and $30,750.00 Post10388.

You keep trying to compare your ED which seems to be a better deal than the ED for everyone and 0% financing! To MSRP+ prices of last september for the Odyssey. Does that seem fair??

You're the one wanting to compare your price to a website's non-negotiated price and come up with a magic number, thinking that is the norm. My price number came from trips to 5 Honda dealers in the Detroit area, and 5 Dodge dealerships last December. Even now, Honda dealers are playing their smug games with 2006s!!!

Lets just compare real world pricing. You can find plenty of data here on Edmund's.

My ED deal was before it was offered to everyone, and all rebates etc... I know DCX cut back the rebates $1000, but the ED is real. On top of this, dealers are still negotiating with buyers.

Honda's towing is 3500 that is a BIG amount, Hey if Oddy owners can quibble over 1.4 secs 0-60 times, I'll quibble over 300lbs and a DCX tow package that's $600 vs Honda's $2000 package.
  • Options
    kfdmedkfdmed Member Posts: 130
    You take the 0% financing and invest the money. My money market yield is 3.19%. 30k @ 3.19% for 5 years yields 5K+. You need to take in account all variables (discounts, rebates, free financing) when determining the true cost of the van. Why pay cash when you can 0% or even 1.9% financing? No, the financing is not available now. I am just saying there are times when the price difference can be 5k+.
  • Options
    For me it's just the quality issues. Regardless of the Edmunds posts, does anyone here have any accurate quality figures for both the Ody & GC?
  • Options
    I look at it this way..... DCX sells over 2 times the Minivans as Honda. DCX sells infinitely more variations than Honda (when you think of wheelbases, engines, stand alone options). Then you look at this forum and others, compare number of issues, number of post, and it's pretty obvious which has more quality issues. On top of that, look at the recalls and the systems affected.
  • Options
    Even now, Honda dealers are playing their smug games with 2006s!!!

I've been to bad dodge dealers and bad honda dealers. It's the people who are selling not the whole company. Heres the most recent post with a 2006 quote on EX-L with RES. I was quoted $30,196 + tax and tags for a 2006 Ody EX-L w/ DVD in the Pittsburgh area - is this a good deal?
    Thanks.

Lets just compare real world pricing. You can find plenty of data here on Edmund's.

How??in the last month there's been like 258 posts on the Honda Prices paid in the last month. In the DCX Prices paid there is 18 in the last month and not one has the bottom line price paid for the car!!! Also of that 18(Only 10 different posters) there are posts from the same people Hrao-2 hanssienna-3 veritasusa-3 and 1 by you. The best information I got was 399.00 a monthy payment. Again I am dissappionted by what i find here!!
    For a car that sell twice as many to have less than 10% the amount of input seems strange. I think that maybe the problem are magnified by a 20X factor too.
This discussion has been closed.