Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• rxsorentrxsorent Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2003 Corolla LE and was driving it thru a shopping center slow. I notice every time I hit the gas pedal slowly, it would make a slight humming noise near the fuel pump area. It would stop making the noise when I come to a stop or speed up. It would only do it when the car is warmed up and pushing the gas pedal slowly. Is this normal or should I have it checked?
  • lefttrunlefttrun Member Posts: 8
    2000 Corolla CE, about 25000 miles.
    Every morning after I start it and drive ~50 yards
    and step on the brake before entering road.
    Usually at this time there is a crack sound, and
    sometimes a little squeak. But I continue to the
    road and drive all day, the sounds almost don't
    come up any more. Is there some strange problem
    with the brake and do I need to fix it?
    Any help is appreciated.
  • xhastixhasti Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2000 corolla with 53K miles on it. when i first start it up in the morning it's sluggish. i back out of the driveway onto the street, put it in drive, and hit the gas. at first when i hit the gas it doesn't respond at all, even if i floor it. i have to pump the gas, then the engine slowly responds. when i get about a block or so, it seems to be warmed up and drives normally.
    i had the fuel system cleaned with some sort of solvent, and i also changed the spark plugs. nothing has changed. any ideas?
    thanks,
    justin
  • louislmtlouislmt Member Posts: 2
    I would like to know if I can use 1998 protege OEM steel wheels in my 1996 corolla? Both have 4x100 bolt pattern, wonder does it matter for the centre hole size? Or what else should I look at before I swap with the protege guy? Thanks
  • blackandblueblackandblue Member Posts: 66
    I'm looking for feed back before I buy a 04 Corolla. Any body in the north east using 87 octane in a 04 please respond, thanks.
  • grandtotalgrandtotal Member Posts: 1,207
    I have owned both an '03 (now gone to the scrapyard in the sky) and an '04. The '03 stank of sulphur, the '04 does not. The '04 also gets 5-6 MPG more.
  • blackandblueblackandblue Member Posts: 66
    Do you think that the 04 is getting better mileage do to engine tuning that my also improve the sulfer smell.
    It may be a coincidence, but it wouldn't surprise me if the two things are related.
  • herzogtum71herzogtum71 Member Posts: 470
    is not universal in the '03's. Our 4WD Matrix in Massachusetts hasn't had this problem using regular gas, at least no more than our older vehicles ('87, '89, '94). It would be good if a bunch of '04 owners would report on this in this forum.
  • capitanocapitano Member Posts: 509
    no sulfur smell. I was under the car changing oil on Sunday and even then I didn't get a whiff of eggs.
    No, maybe you didn't, but the engine wasn't running while you were under the car. Smile
  • capitanocapitano Member Posts: 509
    No, but with my other cars, the catalytic converters had a residual smell. Since my car is still relatively new, I was looking over the entire underside of the car. I've run mostly Shell 93 octane, but also a tank or two of Texaco and Exxon. No smell from any of them. Could it be a lower octane phenomenon?
  • pimypimy Member Posts: 4
    Is anyone willing to write up a skeleton letter? That will ensure our complaints are similar. Otherwise you may have Toyota, nhtsa.gov, or autosaftety.org filing them as unique problems.

Taking it one step further, is anyone willing to write up a virtual petition of sorts?

V
  • gcboyd1gcboyd1 Member Posts: 11
    The thermostat on my 03 CE hvac broke - cable connected to clip on dial came off - and it was stuck in the coldest position (brrrr!). Took it to Toyota of Greensburg (PA) and they found the TSB for "restricted air flow from front vents" for the A/C - another, seemingly related issue - and fixed both in 45 minutes this past Sat morning. Know you guys are spread all over the US/Canada, but if you're in western PA, I highly recommend Toyota of Greensburg for sales and service. We all know how Toyota service can be hit or miss!
  • cheetah222cheetah222 Member Posts: 3
    Apparently this is a problem on later model Corollas. My parents own a 2002 and it does the same exact thing. They've had it in several times to the dealer for trouble shooting but they find nothing wrong and can't duplicate the problem (of course).

I have driven their car and find it unnerving to be in the middle of the road and get zero response from the gas pedal from a dead stop and slight hesitancy from slow speeds to faster speeds. I don't understand it. It almost acts like it is working with a standard carb instead of fuel injection.

From what I am reading in this forum it would appear that Toyota quality appears to be slipping a bit.
  • joe99corollajoe99corolla Member Posts: 5
    Leftrun,
    I don't believe you have a brake problem.
    It's just the front pads sliding fore and aft a bit. There's a T.S.B for it if the noise really bugs you. The T.B.S is just some very sticky stuff that binds the pads to the caliper. (brake quiet sticky pads)

The squeak might be the small glaze of rust that builds on the front rotors overnight. (Parked outside I assume) or some brake dust in the rear drums. Again nothing to worry about. Drums can be pulled and vacuumed off, or sprayed with brake cleaner.

Have the front pads checked around 50,000 miles for wear.
  • tank_3tank_3 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 01 Corolla S automatic. When I drive at or above 65 mph, the steering wheel vibrates pretty badly. I wonder if anyone has this experience. I have seen a few postings about the similar issues. I also wonder whether the person Bob22 has managed to resolve the problem? I have 29k miles on my car. Can this be counted as defect and be covered by warranty?
    Also, after driving on highway for half an hour or more, if I stop (let's say at a red light in local) and accelerate, I could hear a "scrubbing" noise during the gear shifts from 1st to 2nd. It happens 80% of the time. Because it does not happen every time and mostly only after driving on highway, the dealer could not catch it. Has anyone had similar experience? It's my first car, and some of the Toyota dealers are not nice. I need some advice. Many thanks in advance.
  • herzogtum71herzogtum71 Member Posts: 470
    I locked my Matrix with the remote at a diner on Sunday, and when I returned to the car after lunch the keyless remote didn't work to unlock the car because the "lock" button was stuck in the depressed position. I was able to move it with my thumb nail and get it back -- apparently -- to the proper position. Has anyone else experienced this?
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    have not experienced this. My keyless is holding up pretty well, despite being regularly dropped by me onto hard asphalt! :-P

So, can the remote be disassembled and repaired? I will bet it is not too complex inside.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• rxsorentrxsorent Member Posts: 10
    My 2003 Corolla LE is getting to me with all these differnt noises popping up. First, the automatic transmission lever moves out of park sometimes sounding like it is rubbing against the plastic cover on it. Last week, it develops during the morning hours when there is moisture in the air, a chirping noise when you turn slowly left or slightly pushing down on the gas pedal. It doesn't do it when there is no moisture in the air. A couple months ago, I was hearing noise coming from the driver's rear when pushing the gas pedal slowly down. All these noises come intermitently which is driving me up the wall. I bring it do the dealer for the last noise and it wouldn't do it for them. If anybody else out there have noise problems with this model, please let me know. I went to a Corolla because of its quality, but if these problems don't get remedy before the warranty expires in another 18 months, I will never buy one again.
  • sssquakesssquake Member Posts: 8
    Hi, I notice my new Corolla's gauge is a little above the midline mark. Is this normal? Shouldn't it be below the mideline mark? I think the thermostat might be defective. Anybody's 04 corolla reading the same when there car is warmed up? Any info would be helpful, thanks!
  • pgovindanpgovindan Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2000 toyota corolla ce with 49000 miles on it. i change ATF as recommended in maintenance schedule. my car shifts roughly from P to any gear (R or D or L or 2) but very smoothly in between any other gears(R and D and L and 2). i have been unable to understand the reason. anyone experienced the same problem before? any solution to resolve this problem? thanks
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    1. High idle speed
    2. Defective engine or transaxle mount
  • doublesixdoublesix Member Posts: 29
    My 2003 LE automatic has about one second of hesitation around 45 mph during acceleration. It does not occur all the time, but about one third of the time. It feels like the car is dragged by something or gets stuck at 45 mph before the speed goes up. Is this normal or is it something that I should be concerned about?
  • snowbunny1snowbunny1 Member Posts: 4
    HELP !! i am seriously considering buying a 2002 corolla--ex. cond. low mileage--price appears good--
    any comments/feedback from current owners or people you know well with a 2002 corolla re acceleration, sludge, sulfur/rotten egg smell or any other problems you (or someone you know well) have had would be GREATLY appreciated.--i need to decide asap as i don't think this one will last long--for sale at a toyota dealer

i have read many, many messages at town hall re these particular problems and don't know if they pertain to specific year models only
  • snowbunny1snowbunny1 Member Posts: 4
    i could not tell from your message re sulfur smell whether your corolla was a 2002 or other year--please respond
    i am seriously considering buying a 2002, low mileage, ex. cond. corolla

also, are you saying that this problem only occurs when using "cheap gas" and that the most expensive gas must be used?

i test drove this 2002 car i am referring to, but only for about 10 minutes on local drive--no smell--does that mean that this particular car does not have the problem, or does it occur after certain amount of drive time, or miles or with certain gas used?

thanks very much. a response asap would be appreciated
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    The problem is not "cheap gas" or "expensive gas", but too much sulfur in the finished product from certain refiners in certain parts of the country. In CA, and a lot of areas supplied by CA refiners, the problem is virtually nonexistent because CA RFG contains less sulfur than even the '06 Federal standards will allow. Elsewhere, the problem is pervasive because of the origin of the crude and the fact that many refiners are dragging their feet in getting the new technology installed. Lower sulfur fuel [both gasoline and diesel] has been common in Europe for years. The present administration in DC continues to allow the foot-dragging on the part of many US oil companies - you can guess why.
  • LuzerLuzer Member Posts: 119
    will smell if rev fast, then let go of the gas.
    like go up a hill, and then the hill starts going down.

happens to me if rev high for 20 to 30 sec, then coast.

turn on the vent fan so you get extra assurance of the stink coming in. open all windows too.
  • mbukukanyaumbukukanyau Member Posts: 200
    Into my G Friends Corolla 2002. Stole a $89.00 CD player from the Penny saver.

This Corolla has a perpetual noise coming from somewhere in the front Tyres. Toyota says its the Tyres, Michellin says the tyres are OK.
    Four visits to the dealer and we almost have had enough.
    Other than the grinding noise, its an excellent car. No problemos
    I had a 95 Corolla that I drove for 100,000km with what I believed to be transmission whine. Turns out it went away instantly when I bought new tires.
  • mbukukanyaumbukukanyau Member Posts: 200
    i NEED TO GET THOSE TIRES
  • kmaurerkmaurer Member Posts: 48
    Do you use the parking brake when you park the car? If you don't, that could cause extreme effort to get it out of park. Also, you may want to check and make sure that the emergency brake doesn't need to be tightened. When I owned a 2000 Prizm, after 15,000 miles I had to have the emergency brake tightened because it wouldn't hold the car on a hill.
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    Join other Corolla and Matrix enthusiasts in Edmunds.com Toyota Corolla & Matrix Owners Club!
  • joopsixjoopsix Member Posts: 4
    This is a question about scratches on an '04 Corolla.

I have a 1-inch scratch (without any denting) on one of the rear passenger doors. The scratch is not very fine, and I want to know what is my best option to fix it.

I have read that "scratch remover" products don't work. I have also heard mixed reviews about buying a tube of paint from the dealer: some people say it will leave the car looking like new, and others claim that it won't really hide it. Will applying paint myself make the rest of the paint look darker? Will it even work? Or is my best option to take the car to an auto body shop. Any ideas on how much it would run to do that?

On another note: what is the consensus on car washing? How often should it be done, does it damage the car? Same goes for waxing, and conditioning of a leather interior.

(Whoo a lot of questions! Thanks to anyone who helps a young driver!)
  • canoe2canoe2 Member Posts: 128
    It does matter how skillful you are, the scratch mark would still show up under angle looking. The best is to leave it for auto body shop. They would repaint the area with exactly match color.
    For washing, do it whenever the car dirty. Hand wash is the best.
    For waxing, it should be at least twice per year.
  • kb6869kb6869 Member Posts: 1
    Driving home in a winter storm yesterday and my 2000 Corolla dies (45K miles, original battery. The car will not start. I get someone to help tow me but I cannot get the car in neutral. I had the key turned in the on position and foot on the brake but the car would not start or go in neutral. I get a jump start and I got home. I try starting the car this morning and it works but I'm afraid of driving it. Any suggestions? I'm thinking it may be the alternator (battery should be idle when driving, right??) but that doesn't explain the 'neutral' problem. Thanks
  • chbostchbost Member Posts: 4
    On 12/05/2003 I brought my 2000 Toyota Corolla to the Toyota dealership for oil change. About 3:40pm oil was changed. The mileage on my car according to your invoice was 20593 miles.
    I drove the car back to home and parked it. At 5:15 I drove to the local store. On the way home we noticed that the oil warning light turned red, and I heard clicking sound from the engine. We pulled over. I noticed an oil leak under the car then we checked the oil level dipstick, which was totally dry. A closer look showed that the oil drain plug was missing. As it was late I took the car to the dealer the next day.
    What my options are. Should I request a new engine?
  • fmnyfmny Member Posts: 6
  • fmnyfmny Member Posts: 6
    Our toyota regional service manager has convinced me that if you get the smell in the car while it's in motion, you're getting your own processed exhaust in the car. He also refused to follow up on this issue. I used a Kidde Nighthawk household carbon monoxide detector in my car and on one freeway trip we experienced readings for about a half an hour straight(can't guarantee exactly what caused the readings). The NY State Department of Health indicated the readings were high enough to guarantee the exhaust was from our own car and we should drive with the windows open.
    While we were getting the readings, there was NO sulphur/sewage smell in the car. After a somewhat sarcastic call to the regional manager they did a 40 mile test that indicates at least we're not getting the exhaust in the car all the time. The problem did not occur during that test so they're doing no more on the issue.
    Here's a scenario for consideration. You're driving on the freeway from Savannah to Atlanta on a stormy day (when the exhaust problem will occur more often). It's hot and the air conditioner is barely adequate so you recycle the air in the cabin for maximum cooling. Circumstances occur where you get your own exhaust without the sulphur/sewer smell present...... how long does it take before you run out of carbon dioxide or fall asleep?
     I've sent a formal notification of my car's tendency to get it's own exhaust while in motion to my dealership,and both American and Canadian Presidents at Toyota. Today I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau because this problem pre-existed and Toyota is selling these cars without disclosing it's presence. I'll file the same complaint with the consumer protection agency.
  • biggie2biggie2 Member Posts: 45
    My sister has a 200 corolla with about 55K miles on it. Recently she has been having a problem with excessive oil burning. Dealer confirmed this problem and told her basically that she can either pop oil in it every few days or she can spend the major money for a new engine... This doesnt seem like an ideal situation for a car that was suppose to be reliable at least past a measly odometer reading of 55k. Anyways, she says she puts in 3 or so quarts every three days, so the car burns a quart a day??

For all those auto mechanics out there... Is there anything she can do?? And what causes such excessive oil consumption?? Thanks
    on that car is 5/60, which she is under. Check the fine print, but I know it includes engine internal parts, which I would hope would include valve seals and rings, one of which is a problem (probably rings?) if it is really burning that much oil. HOWEVER, that sounds like impossibly high consumption - there would be clouds of black smoke - could she have a leaking drain plug or something?

GET A SECOND OPINION!

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• mcase2mcase2 Member Posts: 160
    I recently purchased a 2004 Siennna and Corrolla from Watertown Toyota, in Watertown, MA. As unbelievable as it may sound the Sienna which is just about the biggest minivan out there gets far better mileage under the same conditions than my Corolla. The Corolla has almost 1500 miles on it and still gets only 16 mpg, and often emits a sulfur like smell. The dealership is already giving me the run around, recommending different gasolines etc. and other such nonsense. Does anyone have any comments or suggestions.
  • smartiasmartia Member Posts: 1
    I've had my new Corolla for only three months; after one GENTLE frost-scraping session, I got back in my car and discovered I had a scratch on my windshield for every stroke of the brand-new plastic ice scraper. Some of the scratches look deeper than others; there must be at least a hundred of them.

Friends and relatives tell me they've never heard of such a thing. My Toyota salesman thought it strange too, and suggested that perhaps there was a grain of sand or something in my scraper. The dealer's service department told me that windshields are being made softer these days and plastic ice scrapers will scratch them; the glass is not defective.

Still, I know several people with new cars who have scraped their windows aggressively, without causing scratches.

Auto glass shops tell me they can't buff the scratches away. To get rid of the scratches, I'd have to replace the windshield.

Should I continue to pursue this issue with Toyota or my dealer? Or should I "hold" with the soft glass story and live with the scratches?

Thanks.
  • tja2tja2 Member Posts: 5
    I agree the windshield scratches much too easily. I have a 2003 Corolla. On the first weekend I owned it I was removing pine gum with "Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover" but the resultant scratches remain to this day. I have used this product for a number of years with great success and have never encountered any such problem with any previous car or with my spouse's 2000 Accord.
  • ata3001ata3001 Member Posts: 30
    Last Sunday morning when I went out to my car, I found my windshield had a 6" long crack in it starting at the top and running down right in front of the driver. I had the sun visor down so I'm not exactly sure when it happened. I have an 01 Corolla S 5-spd with the tinted glass but no shaded band across the top of the windshield, so I usually keep the visor down to cut down on the glare. I had it replaced with a tinted windshield with the top shaded band. What an improvement. I'm actually glad it happened! My car now has just over 40k miles on it & has NOT needed a return trip to the dealer for anything since new. My gas mileage runs from a winter low of 32 mpg to a summer best (on a trip) of 48 mpg. I was thinking of selling it this spring and buying a new car. Not sure yet just what, but probably another Toyota. Merry Christmas to all!!!
  • timesettimeset Member Posts: 2
    Got a 2 week old 04 Corolla LE with 500 miles on it. I'm only getting 22 MPG, which is nowhere near what I expected. Does anybody have any insight into this problem?
    may not be enough to get a true picture of what the mpg is - that is only, what, one or two fill-ups? I would wait a little, get out of the break-in period, and average a bunch of tanks together before I cam to any conclusions.

That said, if all the mileage is short-trip, in-town, A/C-or-defrost-on, 22 might not be out of the ballpark. What type of driving do you do?

• timesettimeset Member Posts: 2
    Two fill ups so far. I was doing a lot of stop and go driving. The past couple of days of been able to do way more cruising on the freeway.
  • kostadinovkostadinov Member Posts: 11
    Just got a nice example from the local dealer...and after checking the spec on edmunds.com....it shows that my Corolla has a 3-speed auto trans???Is that possible in 2002???Please give any sugestions!
    Tnx!
    had a 3-spd auto...there has been a corolla with a 3-spd auto for quite some time - up until '00 it was the VE in that generation. That dubious "tradition" was only ended for the '03.