Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Corvettes and all things about them

Comments

• starrow68starrow68 Posts: 1,142
    Seems it is totally up to the dealer on GMS or GMO pricing. When I started looking at the end of the 91 model year, no one would discuss it. After 9/11 and the incentives came out there seemed to be a lot of dealers on the internet who were taking GMS/GMO deals but nothing local. As sales came back up for the 2002 model year even some of the internet dealers were not using it any more. Now with the 2003 out for order I'm guessing there may be some 2002's available around the country if you want to take what's on the lot. Then again our local dealer has two almost identical silver Z06's and a used 2001 Z06 in silver and is asking sticker plus $7500 for the new ones, so depends on where you look.
    Go to the current issue of Car and Driver, fun reading.
  • I am looking at a 2001 corvette that is some distance away from me and am wondering if there is a way to obtain the orginial sticker information. The seller doesn't seem to know what options were on the car since he bought it used. I have the VIN number available so hopefully someone with a phone number or web site can guide me into the right direction to get this info.

Thanks
  • jimxojimxo Posts: 423
    Try your local Chevy dealer, they should be able run the vin and get a service history as well.
    This link gets you original option codes and list price at end of model year, may have gone up a little during the year.

http://www.idavette.net/facts/2001.htm

Then there is a list of codes somewhere in the car, in glove box or inside rear deck panels, not sure until I look.

Also on that link there is final production numbers link giving how many by color and auto/6sp got produced, interesting data unless it is Torch Red. :)
    Good luck.

• vinnynyvinnyny Posts: 780
    I just spoke with the regional sales manager for Chevy in my area about this very issue...She advised me that that whether or not they offer GMS/GMO pricing is completely up to the dealer. However, she advised me that she has helped people get those discounts by calling the dealers directly. If you're really interested, you might want to contact your regional sales manager to see if he might be willing to help you. Good luck!
    After noting the other day that local dealer has sticker plus $ 7,500 on Z06's and plus $ 6,500 on one vert I come across the local newspaper ad this morning. Dealer I'm not familiar with has one coupe listed at $ 6500 off MSRP in the paper. Just goes to show that shopping around can save a big pot of money.
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Posts: 776
    The dealership I visited around here was selling the coupes and convertibles for about $2-3k below sticker, and the Z06 for just a shade under sticker.
  • jimxojimxo Posts: 423
    Thanks for the info on GMS/DMO pricing. I think when my time comes I will give that a try.
  • verozahlverozahl Posts: 574
    Didn't see any Vette on the road this sunny Saturday yet. What are you all doing?! Last two weekends, you couldn't cross the street without having a full spectrum of Vettes passing by.
  • rhall811rhall811 Posts: 1
    I purchased a 72 LT-1 and put regular brake fluid in the system. What is the proper way to purge the system. Are there any parts that need to be replaced? I was told the whole system will need you be replaced in order to avoid any gumming of fluids for a purging will not clean the system properly; is this correct?
  • noshonosho Posts: 119
    Flushing probably won't do it.... Try this first, mix regular brake fluid with silicone fluid in a glass. If it gums-up, then flushing won't work. If the two fluids stay seperated or seem to mix together well, then flushing might work, but it will take several bottle of fluid to flush.
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    You are saying you put Dot 3 fluid in a car that had silicone, right?

Because a 72 Vet came originally with Dot 3.

I'm not much of an expert about this. But I would think the system had the Dot 3 flushed to put the silicone in it. So, I would think you could flush it and get Dot 3 back into it. But I've never heard the Vet nuts talking about taking a car back to Dot 3.

Either way, I would not think the entire system would need to be replaced. This would would be a major job to put new steel lines on a car, usually only done in a total restoration with the body off the frame.

Only thing I would know to try would be to disconnect all the lines. Blow them out with air. Be sure the air has good filters in the system, don't want oil or water from the air in the system. The 4 calipers would be the toughest to get the fluid out of. Rebuilding these would be the sure way of doing it.

Get all the fluid out of the master cylinder. Rebuild it also?

Then bleed, bleed, bleed. If you could get someone with a power bleeder this would be the best way.
    From press release on GM and Ford programs:

"For the Chevrolet Corvette, interest rates range from zero for a three-year loan to 2.9 percent for five years."

Good way to save a couple thousand if you are in the market.
  • coolsly2coolsly2 Posts: 25
    I just took delivery of my 2002 Z06 this afternoon and i'm wondering on a few things... When starting on a corner shifting to second gear and then goes to 5000 rpm, if I release the gaz, there is on or two "backfire", is it normal? I have driven a Z06 before but never went at 5000 with it that time. Also, I would like some "lids" for the trunk compartment, is there a way to get some that would perfectly fit the Z06 and the last thing, I think the skip-shift module "disabler" would be great since i'm often in traffic here in Montreal. What do you suggest? The "manual" modification with the small resistance or there is a more esthetic thing I could do?

Btw, I really love the Z06 for now, I'm in a hurry to go back to work tomorrow morning.

Thank you for your help,

Sylvain
    2002 Z06 Silver Vette, modifications will soon begin... Any suggestions? A better flow system for sure, what next... :)
    Sorry for my bad english, i'm french and doing my best to write in the best way I can. "on or two" should have been "One or two" and "Starting on a corner" would be "Starting on a green light"... That would be more appropriate! :)

Sylvain
    As far as getting some backoff pops as you declerate from 5000 rpm I would say that wouldn't surprise me from what I know from a stock coupe. Actual back firing I would find unusual hard for someone to know without hearing it. But, another question, picked it up and already doing 5k shifts? Since I picked up my coupe 1300 miles from home the easy breakin was a piece of cake as I did a couple of 8 hr. driving days and took it real easy until I got past 750 miles. That's not to say I didn't take some advantage of being in Montana and getting it up to about 90 but that is still pretty low rpm's.

As to the skip shift, most really hate it but I have learned to live with it through trial and error. Getting up over 2k rpms in first is actually fun most of the time, and so what if they look if you need to back off a little to keep it down. Seems most local Corvette clubs have someone who really knows the best local source for an eliminator.

Many change the stock exhaust on the coupe/vert but with the titanium system on the Z06 I would wonder about the benefits. The Corsa system that I hear many like is actually quieter at idle than the stock system and gets louder especially at WOT where better flow really helps.

Just some thoughts from a relatively new 2002 EB Coupe owner. ruking1 may have more ideas specific to the Z as well.
  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 14,756

Yes, the crackle pop is very normal for an "abnormal" break in RPM. I would HIGHLY and DEFINITELY recommend that you stay UNDER 3000 RPMs at least during your break in period. Massive deceleration is particularily punishing on the engine and drive train components, not to mention the fact that on deceleration there is NO rev limiter in case you happen to make a mistake in shifting or controlling your RPM's!! You will probably hear some folks tell you to drive it like you stole it, but I am reminded that there are a lot of folks that do that and afterwards their cars run like they have been stolen!! :)

There are a number of ways to lessen the annoyance of the skip shift: 1. A .56 cent to 20 dollar skip shift eliminators 2., 3. Shift before and/or after the the skip shift RPM range comes on 4. And under certain cases start off in second gear,(like when you dont come to a complete stop if the stoplight turns green).

There are OEM and aftermarket solutions to your need for a trunk isolator and trunk cover for the center recessed portion of the trunk. You might try WWW.Corvetteforum.com in the mall section.

Enjoy your Z06 !!!

The competing best flow systems are: Vararam, Haltech, Vortex, Blackwing, and I am sure I have left off a bunch more. On the exhaust department you might want to consider the Borla Stinger which has out of phase noise cancelling going on. It is a straight through pipe design and is much louder than stock. Dynos have indicated 40 or so rwhp !!!! Headers of course help you with app 10 hp. But the coins start to add up! So you can see starting with 405 plus 10 plus 10 plus 40 = app 465.

Before you even do mod one, you might want to do a survey of the dealers near you who would possibly do warranty work for you in the future. Some dealers are ok with mild to wild modifications, others will void your warranty if you just look at em funny.
    Yesterday night, when writing my message, I had about 750 kilometers on the Z06 (about 500 miles), I decided just before coming on my street to go higher than the 2000-3200 rpm I have done from the trip to get back home and heard one or two backfire when I realease the gas pedal at about 4500-5000 rpm and was concerned if this was normal. I will continue the break-in period carefully since I will probably buy the vette after the 24 months rent and take good care of my car.

Maybe I haven't understood well but was it "normal" or completly "abnormal"?

Thank you for helping,

Sylvain

Sorry: NORMAL !! I was reacting to higher revs during break in.
  • joelisjoelis Posts: 315
    I've got a Blackwing and the Stingers on my 01 C5 coupe. There is about a 20 hp gain from the Blackwing, and maybe 6 to 8hp from the Stingers.

I noticed a little SOTP gain from the Blackwing, but no SOTP from the Stingers - the Stingers are strictly for SIGHT and SOUND enhancement!!!

I doubt there would be any HP gain at all on a Z06 from the Stingers as the stock Z06 titanium exhaust is already very well set up for free flowing fun. (It also costs 3 times the price of the Stingers anyway).

Of course EVERYTHING is relative and sometimes confusing. I have heard of folks doing the Blackwing and feeling NO difference and others saying it really woke up the car enormously. I have heard others say all you have to do is to remove the stock Z06 air cover and use cable ties to secure the stock factory air filter. I would not do a Blackwing modification for while it reputedly flows more air they do NOT gurantee that it filters better than the cheapo 10 dollar air filter, that to me affects reliability over the long haul. Keep in mind that the Blackwing is 20 times the price!!! So if I use cheapo 10 dollar air filters I can buy enough to last 600,000 miles.

The Stinger info I gleaned from a Corvette mag article where Lingerfelter did an AB test with a Stinger exhaust. The Stinger exhaust gained between 37-60 hp on a dyno. Can I say it is true? Well frankly I didn't do it. I have done Borla exhausts on other vehicles and truly was under whelmed. (less than 10 hp) But they do sound "better". :)

Personally, I am highly skeptical of almost ANY modification. There is almost ALWAYS some trade off or issue with durability, reliability, craftsmanship. While almost always the vendors stand behind their products it is always a PITA to rectify these things.

I almost forget to mention that you have to treat the Blackwing system by degreasing and re oiling the cotton gauze filtering material., which is another extra cost and extra procedure every what 15-30k miles?

The "mods" that I have been happy with have been:

1. conventional ATF to synthetic ATF.
    not only are the transmission shifts less notchy, but I have gained app 1 mpg and it seems to run far smoother and the infrequent popping out of first or second gear does not happen at all now.
    2. I went from an 2001 to 2002 airbox. This was barely a SOTP improvement, but I might add that SOTP feeling is usually 3- 5% or in the Z06's case 11- 19 hp While I feel better air flow and get app 1 mpg from this mod, and it feels stronger at the same RPM and speed points, it doesnt have stand up and take notice written all over it.
  • 400lover400lover Posts: 3
    I am posting this message in behalf of a friend who owns a 1997 corvette. He has a check engine light on and the steering column is locked. the vehicle will start and he says that runs just fine. but the check engine light is on and the steering will not move, he cant even get the car out of the garage, because the wheels are turned...he called the dealer but they said at least 550.00 to get that taken care of, and they did not even gave him a clue to what it could be..... does anybody knows a fix for this problem? one that is a lot more economical...?

Please email your answer (if possible) to r_a_y_d@hotmail.com

Thanks in advance guys!
    Try CorvetteForum.Com and the C5 steering lock topics. Up through 2000 I think this was a problem and there are a couple ways to address. One is a mod to disable the steering lock. Another is a TSB that GM put out that replaces the old system with a newer approach. I think it came out when I was looking at 2001's so about a year ago and was warranty work at that time for most cars athough I don't think they issued a recall. Good luck to your friend.
  • vettes2vettes2 Posts: 17
    Try the Corvette Action Center, specifically:

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11842

Good luck!

Mark

• sfeige1sfeige1 Posts: 2
    I have the 2001 Corvette Conv that has the gas gauge & DIC fluctuations (most of the time dropping to empty and staying there with a full tank of gas). The dealer (reputable one) has had the car for a total of 5 weeks...working with GM to find the solution. Still no answer. They have replaced the LH & RH fuel sending units, replaced the fuel level sensors, checked all voltages, reprogramed the PCM, checked fuel volume for transfer pump, removed the harness to check for shorts to ground, replaced RH & LH fuel tanks and sending units, checked for water contamination, checked pin tension, rplaced I/P cluster assembly. They are telling me that GM is stumped but they continue to try. Cannot go for the Lemon Law as I drive my Vette and have 25,000 miles on it. I'm frustrated - they are driving the car more than I am. Anyone out there have the answer???
  • gnvinhkgnvinhk Posts: 1
    Your problem is not unique as many C5's are afflicted with this annoyance. I have a 99 roadster and it has had numerous "fixes", and eventually the problem returns.

Normal condition for occurance is:

Tank(s) are usually about 1/2 to 1/3 full.

Car has been running for 40 minutes plus

It's hot outside

All this leads to a combination of situations that give the empty tank reading.

I have the advantage of an inside contact at Corvette in the fuel systems group and the problem has taken a great deal of effort, but if you live in a hot climate, drive longer periods, etc - all the fixes are for naught

On the good side, remember it is just an annoyance. Shut off the car, restart and your good for another 45 minutes, or top off the tank and your set again till you hit that 1/2 to 1/3 level. Yeah, I recognize that this is small condolances as the General ought to be able to make the damn gas gauge work, but it's still one hell of a ride.

You can go to the following link for service bulletins for help.

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/kb/index.php?ownertopic_id=33

Best of luck