Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Corvettes and all things about them

Comments

• lastc4lastc4 Member Posts: 12
    Thank You Sir, that was my plan also - to drive for a year and trade up. I can't believe I am the first to encounter this. Searched all recalls and bulletins. I will try Magazine Vette.

I'll be back, maybe we can get a C4 Thread going. Last C4
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    Geez-- I saw an ad for a Mecum Auction in the latest Corvette Enthusiast mag, and looked at them on the net. They had an auction coming up that must have had 75 of the greatest looking Vettes I have ever seen. Wish I had the money to bid on a few. Awesome older Vettes. Love the coves. :shades:
  • xkssxkss Member Posts: 722
    The race was great to watch on the Speed channel.

The Corvette C6-Rs went 1-2 for the fourth time in the last five years.

They beat one Ferrari 575 GTC, several Ferrari 550s, and two factory Aston Martin DBR9s.

:shades:
  • starrow68starrow68 Member Posts: 1,142
    http://www.crash.net/uk/en/news_view.asp?cid=28&nid=113599

Got some typically dry British humor in the comments. Good read.
    L. - I own a 96 C4 and it is my 5th Vette the first in this generation. I wasn't ready for the 97 C5 being a Vette lifer.

Read cover to cover "All Vette's are Red" several times, in an attempt to get similar guidance as you requested. All comments here are fair. There in No question, the technology of the C5 is wonderful and artfully applied.

Be careful of low miles 97 - 99 models. To gain lower drag Cof. in prototype years the front end was lowered to tight specs. The development team did achieve their objective however the resultant drive train angles in some veh. has been problematic.

Heck the C4 platform is a great start if you are new to this sports cars. Normal Maint. cost to be expected. I do get 19/24 MPG in a rocket ship so I am pretty well pleased. Water pump - 40K, Wheel Bearing, tires the only real issue I have.

Good luck in your search - LAST C4
  • dl1003dl1003 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, was wondering what the best way to store my second roof panel for my 2004 Vette was? :confuse:

Thanks!
  • ndmike88ndmike88 Member Posts: 155
    Glass top or painted???
    Probably either/or, since if you have two you might want the clear when it's cooler and the painted when it's hot, at least that's what the wife is doing. We just stand the off top in the closet with a beach towel over it. No issues for the past year.
  • jmessjmess Member Posts: 677
    I bought one of the GM top bags so I can hang it up on some hooks in my garage. So far I haven't got around to installing the hooks. The wife made me move the top out of the living room. So I found the next best place to be our bedroom :-)
  • motorhead1motorhead1 Member Posts: 110
    I also bought a top bag, it fits perfect under the bed. I also wondered about the tops , does the painted one go on in the summer or the glass. In the hottest part of the summer with the glass top on it is very hard to cool my car but I can put the painted one on and it alot easier to cool. I guess the glass is for cooler weather.
  • dl1003dl1003 Member Posts: 2
    Hi-either or :D
    Ive noticed the glass one heats things up pretty fast. I read in the owners manual about not storing it standing on its side etc because it will damage the weather stripping so I have the painted one upside down in the spare bedroom and the glass one when not in use in the back with a top cover. My luck putting it on hooks it would fall off. :cry:
    Thanks for the tips.
    Another question-what do you use to clean the glass one?
    Thanks again!
    We have been using just water and cloth towels except when it's on the car for a wash and it sees some soap, Zaino. Never touch it with paper towels used on the windows. Thanks for the reminder about standing it on its side, the closet under the stairs happend to have room to lay it flat. The clear top is really great in the winter on clear nights returning from places with fewer lights. It does get things too hot for me during summer days.
    Randy
    Can anyone out there tell me something about the horsepower on the C5s. Did all of the engines have 345 horsepower from 1997 to 2004? Thanks
  • c5_4func5_4fun Member Posts: 59
    No, the C5 went to 350hp in 2001.
    The HP went from 345 to 350 and in addition the torque went from 350 in the 2000 model year to 360 for the auto and 375 for the 6sp. Never have heard why the tranny makes a difference in torque output of an engine which is presumably measured at the engine and not at the rear wheels are someplace after the tranny.
    Thanks for the info. I now have a 1991 C4 with 22500k on it and I am looking to go up to a C5 but I didn`t know if there was any difference in horsepower in the C5s. I wonder if you can tell any difference in the 5 hp and torque between the 2000 and 2001?
    But, there were issues in the first couple years that got addressed in tech service bulletins and recalls but are fixed in the later years. Not untrue of most models.

Randy
  • henshaw1henshaw1 Member Posts: 1
    I am new to the world of vette ownership and bought a 95 coupe. LT1 motor, The problem is that the car runs a little hot, no higher than 230 degrees. The upper hose does not get soft indicating that the thermostat is not opening? So I changed the thermostat and no change to the problem. The cooling fans kick in at 220 degrees or so. Do I need a flush or maybe the water pump is bad? 74,000 miles on the thing. Any suggestions before I take it to a repair guy and he takes my arm and leg for something simple?
  • gbjerkegbjerke Member Posts: 158
    SOTP, you will feel nothing.
    I went from a 385 HP Z06 to a 405 HP ('01 to '03) and felt nothing different. Suspect the 20 extra ponies did something but it was so miniscule you could not "feel it". 5 ponies is nothing.
    Don't Laugh dl1003. I have both roofs which was an option - in the 96 C4. One roof I store in a card table box lined w/ Pampers. Should work for your 04. Sorry for the delayed reply.
    The last C4.
    Henshaw - Try this. The 95 is a bottom breather. Get under the nose and check for radiator blocking. Even bugs will do it. With a soft brush and a soft Jet of water you can scrub the radiator.

Recently I had a fellow share, that the C4 behaves, our years (95 -96) the opposite of how you would naturally think when it comes to running temp. He suggested I turn the AC on and the fan would actually lower the temp. I did and I was surprised.

You'd know if you needed a water-pump it sounds like a box of rocks. Good idea to change the therm. Lemmie check some more and see if I can find any old GM Service updates or Dealer notices.

The Last C4
  • kedvale76kedvale76 Member Posts: 3
    Im thinking about financing a 1998-2000 corvette. I live in Denver,CO. with deep snow and slush.Should i get a vette considering the low ground clearance of the corvette?PLEASE HELP!!
    For the amount of snow Denver gets I would say no. Here in Nashville we might get 1-2 inches a year, but it's gone the next day. You need to remember the ground clearance on a Vette is maybe 4.5 inches......That's what 2 hours worth of snow in Denver? Plus the wide tires are not the most traction friendly.
    I would still get the Vette and put it away for the winter, and take her out when the snow melts!
    ndmike8 - Agree. Always had a Vette so I can appreciate how bad you want one. Here in Atlanta the weather not a problem but the roads are. A mere divot or pot
    hole will tear the bottom foil right off.

Recently had to re-do my driveway curb just to get the vette in the drive. Just one mans view, Cheer's The Last C4. 4.5 inches, is it even that much ?
  • kedvale76kedvale76 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks fellas,not really what i wanted to hear but i appreciate the honesty.Guess ill have to move to Pheonix or suffer hear in Denver.What would be the next best thing for year around travel here in Colorado,for around 25k-30k????
    Come on down to Nashville!!! Plenty of room and great weather. You can drive a Vette 11.5 months a year.
    Oh come on guys, there are Vettes in Buffalo, NY. The snow in Denver sticks around for a couple days, not much more, if my experience in Colorado Springs is any thing to credit. Sure you don't want to drive it in deep snow or icy conditions but you can always figure out a solution with a little creativity. Go to rent a wreak when ever there is a big storm inbound. The Vette is just too much fun to pass up!
    Randy
    Oh go buy the Vette - looks like us warm climate guys got out voted. Rent a wreck and buy a Vette. Hey a new slogan for GM. - THE LAST C4
  • zecalzecal Member Posts: 2
    My '96 Vet temp gauge went to 261 F yesterday with outside temp at 92 F.
    Recently flushed the radiator, cleaned the intake and replaced the sensor. Still running very hot.
    Any suggestions?
    If that is the coolant temp, I'd get a mechanic to take a look. My C5 runs at 196 for the coolant even if the oil temp is 180 on the street, I have an oil cooler, or even up to 260's on the track. Something is blocking flow ...
  • zecalzecal Member Posts: 2
    Thanks,
    yes, it's coolant temp. I had 3 mechanics look at it and no luck.
  • glhendr1glhendr1 Member Posts: 33
    I've been looking for a 05 C6 for a while, several months, and finally got a dealer to agree to order one with the option and color combo for $2500 off MSRP. I've been waiting for almost two month now and my car is suppose to be here by the end of the month. I know the 06 model is due out any day now but the based price is at least 65k MSRP. Am I getting a good deal with the C6? No one else would agree to cut the price more than 1500. I'm afraid if I don't get this car now I won't be able to get it new, with only the options I prefer, once the 06 start rolling off the lot. :confuse:
    Sounds like a great deal right now. My tracking on the web says even some
    of the big intranet dealers are not going to $2500 off. The reason the Vette is
    not on the Employee Buying deal is that it is in demand. Enjoy the car and
    let us see a pic when you get it.
    Randy
  • gbjerkegbjerke Member Posts: 158
    I don't think the '06 C6 will sticker for much more than the '05. ($2-400?)
    The 65k # you mention will be the base price of the new Z06 which will have a ton more expensive content...forged crank, dry sump, 6/4 piston fronts/rears...the list is long.
    Look at it this way...you've shopped hard and 2500 off is the best you can do. Don't second guess yourself, just enjoy the ride!
    Thanks for your inputs. I will definitely post a pic.

Greg
    I will, thanks for replying. I am so ready to enjoy this car.
    The standard warranty is only 3 yr/36,000 miles. Do you recommend purchasing a extended warranty? If so, from the dealer or my finance company. I anticipate driving around 12 - 17,000 per year; daily drive to work 27 miles each way; stop and go 50% of the way. Will keep it in the garage and primiary use M- F.

Greg
    Again, just one man's opinion, but I got the extended warranty on both the Vette's I've bought. And no I don't think ext. warr's are good deals on most things. In the case of my car, just before the main 36 months was up I had a steering sensor go out and then just after that point a brake electronics package go out and I didn't even have a deductible so it saved me a bunch. There are lots of electronics on these cars. I'm almost even on the cost of the 6/60 I got for that car. After a year the wife's has 10k and nothing done except oil changes. Her's is on a 5/60. The mileage on the two cars is not working out as I planned, more on mine than planned and fewer on hers.

There are several ways to go on source, direct from GM, GMPP or from an after market company. I went GMPP (protection plan) and have been happy as noted. You don't have to get the package from the dealer you buy the car from. I got both mine from the dealer in Montana and have had no issues getting coverage at the local service shop. Just like with cars, shopping around will save you $'s.
    Randy
    I am waiting to buy the GMPP because the mileage starts the day you buy the car and the time starts on the day you buy the GMPP. You can buy the GMPP within 12 months or 12K miles of purchase and get the same price as the day you bought the car. So if you wait 10 months before buying GMPP, you will get 10 additional months of coverage as long as you don't exceed the mileage limit. There is a risks that your total cost of ownership for GMPP could be impacted if GM does a price increase before you buy. Don't buy it from you dealer until you get a quote from Ken in Montana, he has traditionally had the best price and there is no sales tax added to it.
  • love2skicar1love2skicar1 Member Posts: 5
    I am looking at a red, used 2005 C6 coupe, 5,000 miles, with nav and z51 asking $46,500 -- don't know if I can do better in the final negotiations. The original MSRP is around $55K. So this sounded like a good deal to me.

Was wondering if there are going to be a big price increase or improvements on the 2006 model and whether I should wait until September? Probably pay closer to sticker, but I have heard there were some initial quality problems with batteries, and some annoying features like a 2-4 speed lockout and nav system that cannot be edited while driving. Maybe those will be fixed?

Any advice appreciated, Thank you.
    The only major change in 06 should be a 6 speed auto. The 06 US pricing hasn't been released yet but a report from Canada indicates about a $300 in base price increase with some individual option increases. The best quality for 05 would probably be VINs in the 22000+ range. I have an 18000 VIN and had the fuel sending unit problem. I also have the NAV and I doubt that you will be able to enter addresses while moving in 06 either; GM's lawyers sees this as a safety issue.

Some of the dealers are starting to discount 05 at 2-4K off MSRP in some areas. If the red car stickered for 55K it must have about every option. Seems like the price is in the ball park if it has been well kept and hasn't been in an accident.

Check out the tread on the rear tires. Driven hard the SuperCar EMTs have been reported to last for 6000.
    What is the VIN #???? Becareful. Some of the early '05 Vettes had a bunch of problems with them. Take the VIN # to any GM dealer and see what work has been performed on it. Also you might want to check out www.corvetteforum.com. Go to the C6 section and see what others have posted. The C6 is a great car and you should be OK, but it never hurts to do your homework.
    Good luck ;)
    The VIN isn't going to make much difference, as the new part number just came out and they are still replacing the bad units with old parts until the new part is available in quantity, as I understand it. Same issue in the '04 and prior actually.

The price sounds pretty good if the car has what you really want, the sticker sounds high for a coupe, so it better have all options. I was looking at the model with Z51 and polished wheels and the sticker was only into about $51k. But, nav, On-Star, etc with the mag fluid suspension should get it to that higher level.
    Randy
    Good Deal, I'll wait for a few months then shop around. Thanks for the info.
  • stickymanstickyman Member Posts: 53
    i have wanted a Vette for the past forty years. I found one last week and would like to have the "Experts" opinion. Found a 1996 Conv. Red with wide White Racing Strip, Blk. leather interior, excellent condition, 14,800 miles. Asking price is $21,800.00 reduced from $26,500. Suppose to be a Collector Edition??
    Paint is very sharp, two (2) small stone chips on the front, one in the rear.
    If this price is good, is there something or things that I need to look for in a 96?
    Thanks for the help,

Stickyman :)
    Just one man's opinion, no expert. I bought a '95 coupe with only 18k miles about two years ago for $16k, in plain vanilla white. The '96 is the last of the C4's, LT4 engine in the 6sp but only the LT1 in the auto if I'm not wrong, so 330 hp vs. 300 hp and sounds like your's is in pristine condition, so was mine. Price is probably just reflective of the fact that there are not that many very good C4's out there any more as only about 4k verts were produced. See two year old price guide:

http://www.vetteweb.com/features/0404vet_price/index.html

They didn't do an update in 2005 so this is some of the best data available. Also note that I took less than a $1k hit after selling mine with 10k additional miles a year later. Basically the price is in the ball park and the issue is how does it drive?
    I got mine aligned and it made a big difference as did newer tires. I will admit I did have some fun on the 8 year old hockey pucks in the rain before I got replacements. Enjoy the ride!
    Randy
  • cellmancellman Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 vette with 14K mi. Just recently it began forgetting the FOB code. It does this consistently within 1 minute of synchronizing the remote to the car's secutiry system. Anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions?
    I took delivery of my 05 C6 yesterday and the dealership tried to sell me the GMPP 2700/0 deductible; 2400/100 deductible; and 1900/200 deductible. I decline of course but am wondering if these price as reflective of our dealers. They seem rather high to me. I plan to wait until I'm at 10 months or 11k miles before buying.
  • stickymanstickyman Member Posts: 53
    Thanks Randy for the advice and help. I do appreciate it. :)

I believe I will go ahead and bite the bullet, heck, it is only money that I don't have now :blush: