Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Corvettes and all things about them

Comments

• starrow68starrow68 Member Posts: 1,142
    I started out in 2001 trying to keep miles off my C5. First
    I drove the old DD, an econobox but couldn't stand more than
    a year of that and about 8k saved. Then I bought a very low
    miles C4, 1995 auto and it wasn't bad, just not as good as
    the C5 so I sold it after 10k miles and a year. Good deal,
    only cost me the sales tax and a couple hundred since it was
    still low miles when I sold it. But the C5 is just too much
    fun not to drive and I'm up to 68k with the car going on six
    years old in 2 months. Now I'm doing about 15k/year and
    that is with no commute.

As to tires, my wife's C5 has original run flats still on
    at 24k miles. They are due for a change before winter.
    Randy
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Be prepared for a shock on cost to replace the run-flats.
  • motorhead1motorhead1 Member Posts: 110
    Check with discount tire, I just bought new Kumho run flat tires that had the same rating as goodyear for more than half the price and so far they are great.
    Oh that's great to hear that there is an alternative to the dealer...but you had to recalibrate the pressure monitoring system, mounting etc?---still not cheap I bet.

Pity the Saturn Sky owner---$450 a tire at my local tire shop.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    TireRack occasionally has sales \ specials.
    The rears ( non-Z51 ) are currently just under $250...

Rear: 285/35ZR19 RunFlat
    Serv. Desc: (90Y)
    Load Rating: LL
    UTQG: 300 AA A Price: $240.00 (each) Special
    Estimated Availability: In Stock
    2022 X3 M40i
    not too bad...but then you have to find a good place that can mount them without damaging the bead or the sensors.
  • hal56hal56 Member Posts: 94
    i switched to the firestone run flats--quiet and no tire hop--sofrter sidewalls.

price at firestone dealer was comperitive with tire rack

just have to find a tire dealer that has run flat equipment
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    That is a whole lot of increased incremental costs and technology; just because a driver doesn't want to check the tires once a month!!???

I a reminded how glad I am the 2001 Z06 does NOT have these. I would have changed both the second I needed new tires.
  • brit7brit7 Member Posts: 4
    Hope no one minds me posting this question here...

I live in England and will be on holiday with my wife in California for two weeks in September.

We've always wanted to do 'proper' American road trip so will be spending a few days driving from LA up to San Francisco along Highway 1 so we've hired a Corvette Convertible from Hertz (seemed to be the only hire company who stocks them and lets you do a one way hire) for this part of our trip.

I want to make sure we can enjoy the drive with the hood down, but I know that reduces the trunk space to 5 cu ft. Could someone tell me what the actual dimensions are (length, width, height) and whether the stowed hood reduces the width or height compared to when its up?

Thanks
    Paul
    Actually since we have 2 C5s, tire cost is not really a any
    shock. However, since I have my stock wheels in the garage
    with a set of EMT Michelin's they may just end up on the
    wife's car. I have been running a set of Z06 wheels with
    Kumho non-run-flats for most of the last two years. I've
    had 3 nails/screws and not one has left me stuck. Since I
    check pressures all the time, due to track driving, I caught
    each and made it to the America's Tire shop without incident.
    Pure luck, I know. At about $800 per set the Kumho non-RF
    is a great alternative with much more traction.

As to tire sensors, not much issue, the local Am's Tire knows
    the drill and has yet to be a problem. My biggest issue is
    that my tires sitting in the back of garage still read out
    in the car and I don't lose the reading unless I get more
    than about 20 minutes away from home.
    Randy
    I don't think the check of the tires is as much an issue as
    getting left without a spare. I haven't even made it an
    issue to pick up a Z06 repair kit, which reminds me, good
    project.
    Randy
    In 75,000 miles, it has never been an issue. Like you I have had 3 nails (right rear tire) Besides that is why flatbeds were invented. :)
    Well you see, you're doing the right thing...paying CLOSE attention to the pressure in the RFTs. It's when the owner doesn't pay attention that the tires wear prematurely and get noisy, or to be fair, when the monitoring system gives bad data.

As for run flat equipment, there really isn't any per se---any tire shop that has MODERN tire equipment (up to date machine that handles oversize wheels, etc) and a technician who isn't meat-fisted, should be able to change a RFT no problem.

There are tricks of the trade of course, that one hopes is passed down from the experienced to the inexperienced operator. For instance, if the operator breaks the bead OPPOSITE the pressure sensor (180 degrees out from it) he might break it. That's $50--$100 bucks down the drain plus you have to re-calibrate the new one.

Also if you rotate tires (on cars with RFTs that don't run different size tires front to rear), you have to recalibrate the sensors because the computer doesn't know their location anymore.
  • chabanchaban Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I am happy to help. My 05 convertible's trunk is roughly 48" wide, 12" deep (tall), and 15 -18" front to back with the top area closed (can put top down). The "front to back" is the area that increases (about a foot) with the panel unsnapped and laid down (therefore temporarily preventing the top to be stowed. I too am about to take a(nother) road trip! The C6 is an awesome road car. You'll have a blast!

So did you know that the yanks call the bonnet the hood, and the hood the trunk lid!? Clay, Las Vegas Nevada
    Hi Clay

Thanks for the info, now I know how much we can pack; we can't wait to be out driving on the open road!

Ah well at least I got trunk right (that's a boot for us brits)!

cheers
    Paul
    Bring your pullovers if you are going open top near San Francisco. It can get rather brisk on the coast as you reach the mid-way point between LA and San Francisco. It's one of the world's most beautiful drives. Also allow more time than the map suggests...especially in the Big Sur area it is slow-going and quite isolated too, so gas up frequently around that area. If you have time to go north of San Francisco on a day trip up to Point Reyes Station on Hwy 1, that is certainly worth the extra day's rental. September is a GREAT time of year for San Francisco. You can freeze to death here in July and August.
  • britcrlvrbritcrlvr Member Posts: 83
    I recently went to a Chevrolet dealer, to look at the Corvette, I was under the impression for an additional sum of money an adjustable ride setting suspension was available. I thought the knob was located where there is a piece of plastic that looks like it is supposed to move but does nothing. However, the sales person told me that the car that had the ride adjustment suspension setting was not as nice as those without it. He claimed those without the knob had a better suspension. Although I thought he was incorrect I wanted to know if somebody can tell me if I am correct. Secondly when I looked at the Vette I was slightly dissappointed that was used in the 07 t top, the thing that caught my attention were the plastic screws that looked like they held the plastic pieces to the roof top. In my opinion these look like they are going to pop out. Can somebody tell me what their opinion is of the fit and finish on the Vette. I think mine is somewhat stated here
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    -The salesman wanted to sell you the one he has on the lot, not one he would have to order for you. The suspension option is Z55, I think, with 'sport' and 'regular' setting. There is also a Z51 suspension option, which does not have the 'knob', but does have different brakes, suspension, tires, etc.

-A Corvette is what it is. A beautiful sounding, driving, and looking car. The fit and finish - look at it and decide if it is something you can 'live with', if you think it is sub-standard. For the price, nothing else can touch the looks, power, and road manners of the car.
    There are 2 optional suspension packages for the Corvette:

F55 Magnetic Selective Ride Control Suspension
    Includes magnetic selective ride control suspension with tour or sport modes and larger brakes with cross-drilled rotors. NOT AVAILABLE with Z51, Z51.

and

Z51 Performance Handling Package
    Includes power steering cooler, engine oil cooler, transmission oil cooler, stiffer springs and stabilizer bars, upgraded shock absorbers, larger brakes with cross-drilled rotors, upgraded tires and Z51 specific manual transmission. NOT AVAILABLE with Z51, MX0.
    Z51 Performance Handling Package (w/GU2)
    Includes power steering cooler, engine oil cooler, transmission oil cooler, stiffer springs and stabilizer bars, upgraded shock absorbers, larger brakes with cross-drilled rotors, upgraded tires and 2.73 performance axle ratio. REQUIRES MX0. INCLUDES GU2.

All that matters regarding fit & finish is what your opinion is...

- Ray
    Happy with mine....
    2022 X3 M40i
    You have to look at the Corvette in terms of price point I think. For the incredible performance at that price, the automaker has to cut expenses somewhere. You can't make a $100,000 car for $50,000.

Probably the one place where Corvette needs further improvement is the interior--but again, you can only go so far without raising the price even more. It does look a bit cheap in there though, I will admit.

Given what you get under the gas pedal, the complaints about fit and finish is relative.

Visiting Host
    My opinion is this I probably have no problem purchasing this car, does anyone live in southern California near martin chevrolet, how good is their srvc dept, i there somwhere else you would reccommend. I know my offers are going to seem underpriced, but there is logic behind them. For an 06, with nav and sport suspension, and reasonable mileage, I am offering 30,000K. I know this sounds like a joke, but I also know that I should have ample room for negotiations. Bottom Line is GM overmanufactured this car and dealerships can't get rid of them. Any thoughts?
  • pony_piratepony_pirate Member Posts: 317
    Boardwalk in Redwood City, CA is a good place to order an '08 Z06. No hassles about availability, waiting time, or dealer alotment. Should be able to get MSRP or less.
  • pony_piratepony_pirate Member Posts: 317
    Winding Road magazine recently had a forum about future plans for Vette redesign, including a mid-engine.
    considering the fact that cheaper cars have fully electric seats std, I don't think it would be such a huge increase to add these to cars, keeping them well short of the 50,000 dollar mark. 2) an electricly adjustable steering wheel is often found on cars that are slightly less than 50K, again I don't think this would add significantly to the price. 3) real headlining, at most would cost 200 dollars for each t top. all of these changes would have a minimal impact on the corvette. No I'm not expecting an MB like Nav or Stereo sytem, nor seats that have inflatable side bolsters. I am just asking that GM put out one car which has become an American focal point be indicative of American's pride. The American Automobile industry is struggling tremendously, but a well made corvette, maybe an inspiration for future products.
  • toydrivertoydriver Member Posts: 227
    I have to take issue with the reported "short comings" of the C6 fit and finish and interior. My C6, auto 6sp, base model is everything that I had hoped it would be. I love the exterior lines and look of the quad exhausts. I find no negative fit and finish issues with the exterior, at all.
    The exhaust note is intoxicating and I love the feel of the 400 lb ft / hp pushing me back into the seat. And, there is nothing wrong with the basic leather seats, imho. The stereo is very nice. The air conditioner is superb, even with the top off and 95 deg outside. The t-top is one of my favorite features. When in place, the interior is very quiet and you only hear the "symphony" of the engine. With the top off, you have a convertible and still own the practical storage features of a coupe. T-top is the best decision that I made, when I bought the car to replace my S2000 convertible.
    The basic suspension is a good compromise of sporty and yet comfortable for a daily driving experience, even in the upper midwest with frequent potholes. Having driven the Z-51 package, I found that suspension unacceptable for driving over our road imperfections.
    One's impression of the fit-and-finish will be based on what they are familiar with. My daily driver is a Lexus IS, and I find the 'vette fit and finish to be very comparable to the "perfection" of Lexus; although obviously a completely different driving experience.
    Overall, I am a very satisfied C6 vette customer. And, no I don't work for GM.
    Ok, I bought my base (non-Z06) 2007 coupe in Sept 2007, new.

Options - Automatic, Onstar, Chrome Wheels (top wheel option), optional color ($750), 3LT option (top option package - upgraded seats, heads up, 6 CD Boise radio, power tele wheel, 2 memory power seats, heated seats, several-other-things).

This is a pretty well optioned up car. Doesn't have optional suspension, 2 tops, or navigation. And, the convertibles are much more expensive - why, I sure don't know.

The check I wrote was for less than $50,000.

You are starting to sound like a troll. If you aren't, then get out there and start wheeling and dealing, stop p****** and moaning about niggly things about the car, and buy a Corvette.
    You will find a number of reviews of the C6 online that are quite flattering except for repeated comments about "cheap plastics". This seems to be what reviewers hammer on.
    which dealership did you buy from and did price you give me include tax title and registration.
    Interesting you say stock up on gas, are the stations few and far between on that stretch or is the Corvette particularly thirsty on twisty roads?
    Thanks for the tip on Point Reyes Station, we're planning on travelling up Hwy 1 past San Francisco before turning round to travel back through Napa and spending a couple of days in San Francisco; so we should pass through it.
    Which direction driving over the Golden Gate Bridge has the best views?
    "Which direction driving over the Golden Gate Bridge has the best views?"

Actually both ! Just that one way (N/S) cost 5 dollars more! :)

Again if you are not used to VERY close quarter driving, the best lanes over the GG Bridge are the MIDDLE LANES.

The (4) exits around the GG Bridge of which there are two on each direction or side come up very fast and they are VERY short, so if you dont know the drill you need to slow to allow yourself safe recognition and exit.

1. The classic view (fog rolling over the GG Bridge, if you happen to catch it, or it catches you) is from N/S on the Marin side or from the Marin side heading into San Francisco. Remarkably it is not set up at all for tourist traffic, even after all these years. However to me it is a gorgeous view. It also has access to a park on the Marin side. There used to be WW2 Large Gun and (later) Missile sites etc. It also is linked to the other side so you can actually go into Sausalito and also the GG Bridge exit on the Marin side heading north to Marin.

2. Also just after you pay the toll side, there is another exit that you can also park (used mainly by GG Bridge employees, but it is the lesser used by tourists, so it is nicer in terms of access and parking. It is easier to access the windward side of the GG Bridge walk. If you want to head more in the south direction, there are more isolated but well known SF beaches! There also is a very stunning and classic view of the GG Bridge along a two lane twisty road overlooking the Pacific Ocean! It also is linked to the other side so you can actually go in the opposite direction S/N.

3. The exit on the San Francisco side just before you cross the bridge heading towards Marin. There is also paid and unpaid parking. It allows access to walk across the GG Bridge and also to the Presidio of San Francisco, An old historic Army base which is now a park.

4. As you go over the Bridge S/N or from San Francisco to the Marin side the exist on the right is indeed set up for tourists. It also has access to the City of Sausalito. That city is truly a treat. It affords views of San Francisco, which can literally be stunning.

So I hope you get all of the major weather gigs during your stay. Stunning crystal clear days, fog to distraction and very cool to very warm days!!! I have never tired of this area even as I am a native.
    No, no, the C6 should be very good on gas on the highway...but in some sections, gas stations are few and far between, like in the Big Sur area, or on HWY 1 between Santa Cruz and Half Moon Bay (less of a problem). Just don't get too close to "empty" at any point.

Probably your best views on the GG Bridge are those going North to South...they put up a high rail to discourage people from jumping off, but oddly enough nobody jumps off the Pacific Ocean side.

You've got the perfect car for HWY 1!
    Don't give the sicko's any idea's! :):( I really still do not like the so called suicide prevention mitigations.
    The dealer was in Norman, Oklahoma. Oklahoma has several small towns (2,000 people or so), with dealers that stock 4 or more Corvettes, at nice prices. Norman isn't that small, it is the home of University of Oklahoma. They had the color and general options I wanted.

The price is only for the car. Tax, title, reg varies hugely across the US, and what I paid will have nothing to do with what you might pay (unless you are in Oklahoma).

In Oklahoma, you get a temp tag, and a wave goodbye. You get to stand in line with everone else to buy a tag and pay tax. But you also do not have to pay an overpriced fee to the dealer to do this for you.

Go to the GM online site. If you dig deep enough, there is a badly designed search capability where you look at current dealer inventory anywhere in the country, with list prices. There is also a much better one at www.jeffhardy.com. I don't know how this guy makes this one work, but it has much better search options.

Now that you have all tools, are you going to find and buy yourself a Corvette?
    probably
    Thanks for all the advice guys! With just over a month to go I can hardly wait!
    I know that if I SPEND more for the mag suspension i will have the opportunity to adjust the suspension. my question is will the touring make the car have an even softer suspension allowing th ecar to drive more smoothly over rough surfaces or is it too similar to tell any noticeable difference.
    I have not driven a C6 with the magnetic suspension option, so I can't answer your question directly. However, I find my '07 C6 base coupe very comfortable driving in MN where we have more than our share of road imperfections. (With all due respect to victims and families of the recent I35 bridge collapse). My daily driver is a Lexus sedan and frankly the base C6 suspension isn't that much "stiffer" than the Lexus. I was warned that the magnetic suspension would potentially add significant maintenance cost and if it eventually needed replacement would be very costly.

My suggestion is: if you haven't driven the base suspension C6, do so. If it's too stiff, re-consider your desire for the vette. If it's not "sporty" enough and you want more cornering stability, etc. go for the Z51 package, but expect to feel more bumps in the road.
    I wanted to know when I am driving the car in sport mode, and shift with the paddles is there a way to tell what gear I am in.
    With Heads Up Display, it's projected right on the windshield display.

Without, I think it's displayed in the DIC area.

I thought you were buying one of these things. Why are you still asking questions? Why aren't you asking your salesman these questions? How old are you? Do you have any money?
    "Without, I think it's displayed in the DIC area. "

Correct.
    - Ray
    w/HUD.....
    2022 X3 M40i
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    I lived on both sides of the bridge while stationed twice at the Presidio. A great place to visit if you can still get out there on the Marin side is the Baker Beach area and the place that rehabilitates seals and such. You have to go thru a narrow tunnel [one way] to get there but it is a nice place to visit. Here is a good rule of thumb for the weather in the SF area near the bridge. If it is sunny and nice in the morning then you can expect fog to roll in between 2-4 p.m. If the morning starts out foggy and crappy you can expect it to be perfect weather in the afternoon. The nights definitely call for a sweater to be handy. As Mark Twain once said : The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in SF. It is a great town, just a lot of the people are weird. If you get to Sausalito look up Artist Bob Tapia who does great seascapes. He has a gallery there. We have 3 of his paintings.
    before i bought i thought i would rent for a couple of days.
    I have had my 07 C6 for about a month now and I have to tell you this is the best Vette I have ever owned. My first one was a 1991 C4 that I had for about 2 yrs. the second one was a 2002 C5 that I thought was the best one until I got this C6. It does everything so easy and rides and drives great.
    I have owned my 07 C6 for 6weeks and I too think it is one phenomenal sports car. I now have 1400 miles on the odo and I have just started to "push" the acceleration enough to be amazed at how much torque there is at any speed. The interior is very comfortable and my wife loves riding in it compared to my old Honda S2000 which I traded in on the vette. This is my first corvette, but I think that I will be enjoying it for a long time. So far, no complaints at all.
    I have owned:

1) 1972 Coupe bought new. Kept for about 7 years. A pretty car. Last year of non-radial tires, which was not a good thing. Base motor, smogged down, low horsepower car. Sold it for more than bought new.

2) A 1964 badly abused, horrible looking coupe, bought in about 1975. (Yes I owned 2 for some time). I learned a lot about working on cars with this one. It had a new GM 'long-block' motor, 300hp. Of the first 3 I owned, this was the fastest by far. And with its suspension, the scarest to drive. When I had the mechanicals in pretty good shape, I was next faced with doing a lot of body and paint work. Did not want to put this much money into it, so I sold it. (It was a manual, which I did not really like.) Made about $1,000 on it, not counting my time as being worth anything.

3) A 1981 coupe, used, bought in about 1988? Another low power car. But with lower profile, wide tires, this was an excellent highway cruiser car and it also cornered well. It just felt nice at 80mph. Kept it about 5 years or so, sold to member of the family for less than I could have gotten elsewhere.

4) 2007 coupe that is almost one year old. None of the other cars were anywhere near what this car is.
    -Power.
    -Great seats. I've driven it on a 10 hour trip and was not tired. No other car I've owned could have been anywhere near as comfortable, and this includes two Cadillacs.
    -Beautiful. Velocity Yellow.
    -I've not 'pushed' this car at all. But I can tell, it is heads above the suspension of any of the others.
    -Not a single problem at 5,000 miles.
    I would like the advice of C6 corvette owners as to when they would recommend the first oil change. Mine is a '07 C6 LS2. According to the "oil-life" computer, the first oil change would be called for at around 7500 miles. My "gut" tells me to change oil/filter before that, as I have in my other cars. I am getting different responses to this question from every Chevy dealer in the area.

I'd be especially interested in comments from those who have owned other corvettes prior to the C6.
    Well, this question can lead to dozens of responses, with people having a huge range of milage recommendations for the first oil change.

I drove mine for most of the first 4,000 mile on long, interstate trips. At the 4,000 mile time, it indicated 69% oil life left, and the Onstar email report projected this to 14,000+ miles for the first change.

I changed it at this 4,000 miles. I think this is very conservative. Just recently I read, from someone obviously much more conservative, he changed at 500, 1000, 2000, and 4000 miles. Others have run it to where the oil life indicater hit the 10% or less, which was anywhere from a few thousand miles (a car that had seen time on the track) to the 14,000 mile range.

I will probably go 4,000 or 5,000 or 6,000 miles between future changes, using Delco filter and Mobil 1 oil. Changing it myself, this is less than $35.

If you do not drive much, the manual recommends once a year changes, if you put very low miles on a car, and I also agree.

Except for cars with design problems (Toyota 'sludge' problems), in the last 15 years have you personally and directly known of any auto that had been seviced 'reasonably' (I would define this to be oil and filter changes every 7,500 miles or less) and not being abused,that had a engine, head, etc failure because of oil problems.

I think not.

I've not known of one.

And I'll be you do get a lot of different responses from dealers. I would bet several of them would reach around and pinch your wallet to estimate your net worth, then tell you something like "That there Cor-vet is a high pro-formance machine. It will run lots hotter than any car you ev-er had. You better be sure and get in here at least ever 3,000 miles for a filter and oil change! Don't do that, any you be looking for a heap of trouble!"

A lot of auto manuals recommend 6,000 to 7,500 miles on 'regular' oil.

On Mobil 1, lots of cars, including expensive imports, have oil life indicators that will guide you to 10,000 to 15,000 mile.

The car has a magnetic oil drain plug. It WILL have metal on it for the first change, which is to be expected in a new engine. The engineers that designed the auto, also worked out the logic behind the oil life indicator. I'm more conservative than that. But, I think these guys do know what they are doing. The do not want a lot of Corvette motors having engine failures at 60,000 miles related to oil problems, with documented changes at the oil live reminder. There would be lawsuits.

Overall, do what you want to do. This is going to be the result of any amount of questions you ask about this, because, as I said, you are going to get a huge range of replies.
    I have had many new auto in the past and always changed the oil at 2500 miles for the first change. I just liked to get the oil out because of metal that comes with new engines on break in. But with the newer cars I`m not for sure if you really need to do that or not. I guess it couldn`t hurt anything to change the oil and you will know that all of the break in stuff is gone. Thats just my two cents worth, enjoy your car.
    ..."I'd be especially interested in comments from those who have owned other corvettes prior to the C6"...

C5, 2001 Corvette Z06, 74,000 miles "garage queen", oil change intervals of 14,600 (when the OLM indicates changing)

Since I was raised old school on this issue, I DID change at app 1,600 miles. It was a complete and utter waste of time, energy and resources to change at that interval.

Listen to your OLM, since all of us operate their vehicles in slightly different ways and environments. Now I know that some of us need almost any excuse to do something on our Vettes but... just go out and drive!! :shades:
    I have a 2007 C6 LS2 Corvette . I installed two K&N filters yesterday and I was really supprised at how much more accerlation the car has. I really didn`t think that it would be noticable but it is. I Hope my gas milage doesn`t change,I guess if I keep my foot out of it will help.