Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Corvettes and all things about them

Comments

• I appreciate your input on Corvette age groups however I think that the earlier Corvettes may have been easier to afford in comparison to the other cars at that time.
    For instance a new 1969 Dodge 2dr HT with a 383 V8 and a 4 speed could be had for about $2995.00 and a 1969 Corvette for about $1000.00 more.
    But just wait until you talk to your insurance agent, this is why a lot of younger people didn't have these kind of muscle cars until the insurance companies deemed you a grownup person of at least 35 or older and a crystal clear driving record and it helped also to be married with 4 kids so you can get the picture.
    Remember when there was a penalty to pay on your insurance if the car had less than 10 lbs per HP (Lighter cars with more HP) or even if you had a car that looked fast.
    I paid a penalty on my insurance for a 1984 Dodge Charger with a 2.2 liter engine because it looked fast.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,043
    Insurance companies rule the world now, so we don't stand a chance. Your best bet, if they'll take you, is to get a "specialty insurer". They play much fairer ball.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• eliaselias Posts: 1,923
    maybe some vette owners would consider to move to a state like NH where car insurance isn't required, in order to avoid the insurance company requirements?

(years ago, CA allowed you to avoid car insurance if you put an $80k bond in escrow instead of having insurance.)
  • The newer Corvettes have their headlights built into their fenders instead of the flip up headlights that Corvettes have had for decades, this seems to be the same route that Ferrari and Lamborghinni have followed and now they also have done away for the most part flip up headlights actually there are practically no flip up headlights on any cars anymore.
    A newer Corvette now has the look and even the power of many Ferraris but at a price that is 1/3 that of a Ferrari and best of all the economy of operation.
    What it might give away in prestige to a Ferrari, a Corvette makes up for in spades with maintenance costs. On a Ferrari, you have to figure at LEAST $1.50 a mile to drive one, perhaps $2 a mile as the car ages...and once you hit about 60,000 miles, your Ferrari is nearly worthless in resale value.

• I have always found it amusing that many car magazines have test drives on Ferraris and Lamborghinnis and many other cars that push the $100,000.00 envelope and try to make your mouth water about their performance that is until you see how much they cost and the cost of ownership.
    Sometimes I think that owners of these cars just collect them and put them on display for others to see how wealthy they are.
    Give me a Corvette of any year to take out and drive it as much as I want without being afraid of breaking something and costing me a years salary.
    Well the Ferrari is a very exciting experience that is not duplicatable by any other car, so what you are getting here is an experience that a Corvette owner can't get. And they have beautiful interiors and are very cutting edge/high tech. So you're paying for exclusivity, (they crank out a lot of Corvettes every year) tech status, and some pretty wicked interface with the machine. It's what they call a "narrowly engineered" type of car, purpose-built to do one thing really well--perform.

But you are certainly correct in that most Ferrari buyers don't have the skill or the inclination to push the car to its limits. Which is why they are often seen on TV wrapped around telephone poles. :P

It's like joining an exclusive club, and Ferrari milks that for all it's worth. They are brilliant at marketing.

• I wonder if our GM fathers in their thinking will keep the Corvette going through this decade and beyond or will they in their bean counting decide in their wisdom to discontinue a winner like the 'Vette just like they did for the Pontiac and go to these electric cars that seem to be getting so much notice now.
    You can be sure if this happens it will be Government regulations that might kill the Corvette and threats to GM to discontinue all performance cars.
    The Volt is a good electric/gas sport car but is still a long ways from being a 'Vette
  • You are absolutely right about many high performance, high priced sports cars being owned by folks who lose control of them and wreck them.
    Not very long ago a driver of a new Bughatti Vehron which I understand can cost over a million dollars lost control and went into a salt water swamp somewhere in Florida.
    I hope he had good insurance because salt water will total a car.
  • I feel I need to put in my 2 cents on what is a better car and my experience with a Mustang.
    I had a 1955 Ford V8 a long time ago and had a lot of problems with oil leaking at the rear seal, I believe it may happen when in hard acceleration the V8 engine which was a 272 cu in. raises up and presses down on the rear seal and after awhile the seal begins leaking.
    I then had a 1989 Mustang GT with the 302 V8 engine with auto trans and guess what? it also developed a rear seal leak.
    My son fixed a 1977 Mercury V8 that also had a rear seal leak, has Ford finally fixed these problems in the newer models of their V8's
    I remember the early Fords had their V8 engines supported by (2) motor mounts on the side of the engine block and (1) motor mount in the front right under the crankshaft pulley and the rear of the engine was supported by a mount under the transmission that the engine was bolted to, I wonder if this type of mounting is the same today in the newer models, this is one of the reasons I shy away from Ford Mustang V8's.
    I don't think, personally, that a Mustang is in the same class as a Corvette. I see these as two different types of cars built for different purposes.

A Corvette is a serious "sports car" in the true sense of the word.

• vchengvcheng Posts: 1,284
    I think the Mustang is closer to the Camaro in terms of its philosophy and driving dynamics.
    Well you can try to drive a Mustang or Camaro 175 mph...lotsa luck with that. :P

It's not even the top speed. It's the turns that bring out the differences in handling, methinks :)

I currently have a 2006 C6, and have greatly enjoyed every one of the 26000 miles that I've put on it. Although, I must formally say that I have NEVER exceeded any speed limits! ;)

PS: The top speed of a C6 is about 186 mph.
    Yeah but you could bake a pizza in the time it might take to get to that last 10 mph.

As I'm sure you know, the HP required as the speed goes up, requires exponential calculation, not linear.

Well, actually, you can bake a pizza on the center console even at 55 mph, it gets so hot anyway! :)

You are absolutely correct about the exponential function of course. I think the threat of jail and vehicle confiscation is a great speed limiter regardless of the top speed potential of any one of these three cars.
    I have a friend who races his C5 in those crazy Nevada road racing affairs. That'd be a legal way to stretch your C6s legs.

Yep, that's on my personal "bucket list".
    He did blow up two engines already however :(
    His engine is stock and I don't think it's really built for that level of extreme use.

• Yes you are absolutely right, and it seems that as far as an American sports cars all we have now is the Corvette, the Dodge Viper, and the Cadillac XR7, there were quite a few other 2 seater sports cars that were discontinued for a variety of reasons.
    One of my other favorites was the Plymouth Prowler that I believed could have been a great sports car if it had a bigger engine and a smaller price.
    The Pontiac Solstice was another (I had one) but lacked the room for luggage for trips.
    The Dodge Viper has an excessive engine (V10) they should be able to do with 8 cylinders what they are now doing with 10 cylinders after all Corvette has been doing that for years.
  • Since we are talking about the new Camaro VS the new Mustang, I feel that the Camaro is a better car because it does share the engines of the Corvette and other mechanical parts and also gives you a back seat.
    Oh did you mean Cadillac XLR? I don't consider that a sports car myself.

The Viper, definitely, and a brute, too.

Really, if we are talking about a refined, comfortable and yet true and serious sports car that you can track, Corvette is the only American one we have.

• starrow68starrow68 Posts: 1,142
    edited March 2010
    " ... serious sports car that you can track, Corvette is the only American one we have. "

Ah, don't tell that to the Viper folks that spend time on track, very fast but tough
    to drive. The benefit of the C5 coupe is that while having adequate HP it is fairly
    easy to drive on track. Even at places like Sears Point (Infineon) that are much
    more of a challenge technically and closed in with more concrete than most road courses.
    Even the C5 Z and C6 coupe are pretty tame with their extra HP. I don't even want
    to discuss the C6Z which can get out of shape very easily, did just enough right
    seat time to want to stay away from those who are new to the track. But at about
    3400+lbs with driver, all of them are hard pressed to stay with a full race prep Miata
    on race tires on a tight track. Somebody once praised lightness, spending time
    in anything over about 2000lbs and you begin to define sports cars as those that
    get close to that figure. The recent gen's of Corvette are lots of fun and great
    touring cars. Too bad the more recent American offerings didn't show more
    performance.

Randy
    edited March 2010
    True enough....and I did warn the Viper owners by using the words "refined" and "comfortable", which not even the most diehard Viper owner would pin to their cars.

Sears is a very technical track indeed. I still like Laguna, even after they changed it. I got pretty good (for me, I mean) on the corkscrew, in an open wheel car. With a Corvette, I dunno, I wouldn't be so frisky on that part of the track.

• starrow68starrow68 Posts: 1,142
    Actually in the C5 the corkscrew is a hoot! Get the entry (blind) right and pick up
    the visual cue at the bottom, one of the Oaks, and you can dump it over under
    some throttle and power out carrying much more speed than T9 will allow. If you
    look at a data system log you can see that it is much straighter than you might
    even consider from late apex on the left berm to having your right side come down
    just over on the right berm and you start to turn right after car gets on full pavement
    again. It took several years to get it right, but it is almost as much fun as the
    carousel at Sears Point.
    Turns out that at LS turn 4 seems to be the nemesis for Vettes, another one
    bought the inside wall there last week and I know of several others who have
    left an impact on both the inside and outside wall. Late apex solves that but
    some get wound up in the moment and lifting at any point is not advised.
    Randy
    Yep, lifting on a car like that is usually a very bad idea.

edited March 2010
    During the 1990s, I got to drive the track for half a day in a formula-ford limited to 75 mph. I would enter the corkscrew at maybe 15 mph and would still be terrified every time at that speed.

Also on many weekends I attended races at Laguna Seca and liked to watch cars exiting the corkscrew and into the next turn where there were many small bumps.

One thing that impressed me was how much more composed the BMW 5-series cars were on that part of the track, compared to all the Corvettes. The Corvettes skipped and skittered all over that section of track, losing traction, losing speed. The BMW M5s displayed none of that behavior - total composure - totally stuck to the road - blatantly faster than the vettes through that section of track on every lap.
  • higgy62higgy62 Posts: 5
    Could there be such a thing that I had the vehicle running when I filled it with fuel? (I know your not supposed to do that). If it ran it's test with it being fueled then there would be no pressure on the system. Just "what if ing".
    Yes, I understand that refueling with the engine running could cause a gas-cap "evap leak" code.
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    You posted the same problem in two different topic areas.

And, yes, if you fuel while running it definitely will set the check engine light.

The 'run its test' is when Onstar contacts the car and uploads certain info from the 'computer'. It does this one time a month. If you do not have Onstar active it will not do this upload. Having the cap off will not set a code during the upload (unless the engine is running), it only uploads codes previously set.