Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Corvettes and all things about them

Comments

• gbjerkegbjerke Member Posts: 158
    Mileage is incredible. I have a Z06, took a 600 mile trip up to see my folks running 75-85 on the interstate. MPG came in at 27.+. On the way back I held it to 70 MPH and hit 29.3----to me, that's awesome but 6th gear is really tall.
  • bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,471
    I asked about the mileage because my spousal unit and I will be taking road trips in it and I was curious. I especially appreciate the input on the use of premium gas. I don't believe that I could ever bring myself to put anything less in this sweet little rocket, but I needed the validation.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• diablo4diablo4 Member Posts: 40
    Does anyone know how to pics in there message please help me because i got pictures of the new C6.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Okay, I'll show you but be VERY careful of the SIZE you use and the NUMBER of photos you post. We don't want these pages to a) be too wide and skew the page for viewers or b) to load too slowly.

If your photos are too big or too many I'll have to delete them, okay?

Now then--I'm going to use the [ ] key instead of the correct < > keys so that when I show you the tag it won't actually work. But you should use < or > wherever you see [ or ]:

[img src=pastetheURLoftheimageinhere]

Be sure there is a space between img and src and don't type "scr"

Host
    Do i copy the picture and then paste and do i write it like this [img src= ] but with these <>.I posted my message and a little box with a square,circle and triangle comes up.
    Nope, you copy the URL address into the string, not the photo itself.

So it's

[img src=http://www.pinkcorvettes/martyscar.jpg]

or something like that.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    Question, how much and how available would a 90's vintage yellow ZR-1 be able to be had for? Also, did the ZR-1 only have the new 'curvy' dash or could the first year of ZR-1's been had with the older style flat dash?
    Low to Mid 30s for a very nice driver
    OK, I've had my 'Vette for 2 weeks now, and I am already addicted. However, the 1-4 shift thing makes me nuts. I probably will learn how to get around it by either learning to recognize the conditions under which it will happen or learning how to manipulate the shifter (e.g. far enough into the 4 gate to make it go away, and then into the gear I want). I invite ANY advice from others on how to live with this 'feature'.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

It can be defeated. You may have to search around on corvette forums to get that information. I think you can even buy a kit for that.

It's a regrettable piece of GM engineering and to me personally not worthy of such a fine car, but I'm told necessary to meet the EPA fuel economy cycle. It was either that or charging the customer a whopping gas guzzler tax.

POSTERS: If you know where <bhill2> can get this skip shift eliminator kit, please don't post any automotive site that has a forum on it, as I will be forced as Host to delete such a link.

You can either e-mail him directly or mention the site without any URL address. That way he can do a Google search when he has time.
  • avolvofanavolvofan Member Posts: 358
    Try this location. I am not aware of any forum that is hosted by West Coast Corvette, so they should meet Shifty's criteria.

http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/shop_online/prod_detail.cfm?id=7- 85
  • skeezixskeezix Member Posts: 45
    Try SLP, Part Number 21008. The thing costs $29.95. I've lived with the skip shift feature since 1995 on my Firebird Formula. It has never been an issue. If one winds out the engine past 2500 RPMs in first gear, one can shift to second without intervention. I never even spent the $29.95 for the SLP part.
    I thank you all. I now have to decide if, like skeezix, I can learn to live with this thing or if I will have to utilize avolvofan's very useful link. I agree with Shify that the skip shift is not worthy of this vehicle, but despite it I am having more fun that I thought was legal on a daily basis.

The skip shift is a real pain, but as Shifty mentioned, easily defeated. I bought a $20-$25 gizmo that just plugs in...<5 minute install when in the air.
    You can also do a $2-$3 fix...some resistor/transistor...whatever...available thru Radio Shack.
    To bhill2, if you want, private me and I'll give you a site to find the nuances of the "cheap" fix.
    Agreed, it is such a stupid feature. I think it kicks in between 1500-3000 rpm's so all you have to do is accelerate over 3000 and you can go second. Now tell me, if most want to eliminate the skip shift, we goose it to over 3k to shift...and that's supposed to save gas???? And I don't understand GM's explanation that it is to meet EPA fuel consumption guidelines and avoid the gas guzzler tax. The mileage is incredible.
    I've exceeded 29 mpg doing 70+ mph interstate driving.
    In fact, just returned from a 1600 mile trip, 1150 of which were interstate. The rest, stop and go stuff. Averaged 27.5 on the whole trip.
    Since Shifty didn't delete my last post, here is my nomination for Best Gee Whiz Accessory for the Corvette (also from West Coast Corvette).

http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/shop_online/prod_detail.cfm?id=5- - 13

These wheels have enabled me to avoid countless scrapes from less-than-perfect roads. I wish that I had thought of them. Whoever the bright person was that thought of them definitely gets my vote for Best Gee Whiz Accessory for the Corvette.
    Those are cute. Lots of $$$ exotics could use them, too.

Can you see them though or do you really have to lay on the ground?
    Thanks for the offer, but if I decide to lose the skip shift I think I'll spend the $20. I am not that good with electronics. Also, you bring up my biggest beef with this thing. In order to defeat it, you have to drive in a less economical way. Although I certainly have no moral objection to running it to over 3K to shift (OK, I enjoy the hell out of doing that) the car has so much low end that if you are feeling mellow you can shift at under 2K and save some gas. That is, except that then you get shoved into 4th, and the engine bogs. Oh well, I'm preaching to the choir, so I'll stop, at least for now. Thanks again.

• ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    The interesting thing about the skip shift is you can also "under" rev it and in effect ("short") shift to 2nd gear. Actually I do this in almost all cases except for driving on hills like in San Francisco.
  • starrow68starrow68 Member Posts: 1,142
    I've gotten in the mode where if I go to second and I am at skip shift rpm's I automatically go to third and with just a hint of hesitation it goes into third. Much less bog than in 4th and doesn't seem to mind it. Although, I don't seem to find myself there much in my '02 as I think the skip shift actually stops at 2100 or 2200 rpm, but it does come up once in awhile. I also will under rev 1st some times going into a hill and take it to second as ruking1 does.
       As to the gas saving issue, I think by making it go into 4th at a set low rpm they can do that in the test and then improve the results since they don't have to rev higher in 2nd and 3rd before getting to 4th. If anyone drove that way it might represent reality but as most know, nobody really expects EPA milage to be reality.
    The wheels that are being shipped are black and blend in rather well with the skid bar and the rubber strip under the radiator intake. If you know where to look, you can see the wheels from a distance of approximately 50 feet. Any closer, and you are on your hands and knees to examine them.
    It is being rumored that there is going to be a high performance vette that is going to compete with the "ENZO,LAMBO,and PORCHE supercars".Like the vette isn't high performance, but this car is suspose to be faster then the ZO6 C6.It is going to be made of lighter materials then the C6 and cost $100,000.
    Oh yeah, I assume that the skip shift is there to game the fuel consumption test and avoid the gas guzzler tax. It certainly makes no sense in normal driving. To that end, however, I have noted that if you fake the 4th gear shift by letting it lead you just past the neutral point, it will go away and you can then shift into 2nd or, like you, into 3rd. I might also try ruking1's trick of short shifting into 2nd if I don't want to take 1st out further. I still think that it's a joke having to play these games however. Maybe $20 for a defeat kit would be a good investment.

Some times I just can't be bothered if the fix takes much effort and it's not something I'm about to do myself. Then again I seem to now cruise in the car more than not so the start up shift issue is pretty much a non-issue. The auto in the '95 is pretty boring as the alternative but it does keep the miles off the '02. Spending a few bucks to fix the problem does sound like a good idea.
       As to a $100k Vette, if it's $100k it's not a Vette, seems to me. There are plenty of tuners who can get your Vette to 450 to 600 hp for a lot less than that total and it's still in the Vette crowd. Part of the reason that the Vette is interesting is that for a lot less than super car pricing you can get something that is very close, considering the '04 Z06 was doing super car times at the nuremburgring (sp?) for about $55k why not just get two for about the same price? And still no gas guzzler tax!
    I think the ZO6 C6 will have more then 500HP and will have 580LBS of torque.
    The $100,000 vette is lighter and will be faster.If the C6 is tuned to 600HP and the $100,000 vette is tuned to 600HP the $100,000 vette will win because it is going to be made with lighter materails.
    With 350+ HP given the exhaust system I put on, I can see getting up closer to 500HP, really. But as you approach that it seems the ability to drive it around at some point becomes more liability than fun. If you can afford $100k then maybe it is nothing but a track car and winning is part of the issue but if having fun is still part of the equation, I don't think 600hp and lighter weight is worth another 50%. IMO
    I think also with INXS of 405-500 hp the experiences with Dodge Vipers tends to show that this and above range of HP is a two edge sword.

To live on the edge with the Corvette you should have GREAT driving skill.

To live on the edge with the Viper it is an utter requirement!

Outside of status if you want to drive near the edge for this new one (old ones recommended also) the first stop before the car dealer should be a high performance handling school like Bragg Smith NV, Laguna Seca, CA (not the current name)
  • vettes2vettes2 Member Posts: 17
    Regarding the below:

All of the ZR1s came with that curved dash you're looking for, however, the yellow ones are kind of rare depending on the year your looking for. You can see how many yellow ones were built here:

http://corvetteactioncenter.com/specs/zr1/zr1prod.html

#581 of 601 by regfootball Jul 26, 2003 (9:11 pm)
    Question, how much and how available would a 90's vintage yellow ZR-1 be able to be had for? Also, did the ZR-1 only have the new 'curvy' dash or could the first year of ZR-1's been had with the older style flat dash?
    After seeing how smooth an instructor was in my car for two laps at Sears Point (not current name either) and how much help a 1 day course was to my ability with the car, it's time for more. Off to Bragg-Smith for 3 days in Sept and who knows, maybe I'll decide to do something to get it past the 350+hp mark. :)

Thanks for the ZR-1 data, interesting as they seem to turn up whenever more than about a dozen Vette's get together and amazing how much attention the 8 to 13 year old cars get. Very rarely see a high mileage one.
    http://www.autoweek.com/

Scroll to bottom of page and several Corvette
    related links with interesting stories. FWIW!
  • jacobandrews10jacobandrews10 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Vette with 19,500 miles. My warranty expires in September. I am looking at different extended warranty options.

Is it better to buy from a dealer or from one of the online sites?

Any ideas or suggestions.

Thanks for your help.

Jacob
    You need to do your homework on these things.

First of all, they really aren't "warranties". They are insurance policies. The insurer is betting a certain amount of money that your car won't break and you are betting that it does. The insurer calculates the chance of your car breaking and charges accordingly. They also put in EXCLUSIONS or offer different "levels" of insurance, and this is where you have to read, read, and read, and compare, compare, compare.

Just because the policy comes from a dealer doesn't mean it is necessarily backed by the factory. This may just be one of the dealer's private profit generators.

So no simple answer to your question but you have to weigh exclusions vs. cost vs. who the "backer" of the "warranty" actually is here.
    I personally am a fan of the extended warranty. Since I live in an area where repair costs are high (due to the high labor rates), I have purchased extended warranty coverage on each my cars. The program that I like for my Corvette and Denali is the GM Protection Plan Major Guard. The Major Guard plan seems to have the lowest number of excluded items and it will pay for wear and tear items that are not specifically excluded. You can also shop around for dealers that are willing to cut a deal on the coverage.
    I too took out GM Major guard but less for my own
    piece of mind than for resale. I've noted that after 36k miles lots of people stress about lack of warranty when they look at performance cars. I got it out to 6 years, 60k since I hoped to keep it under 10k per year and if I wanted to upgrade then resale might be easier with something to sell with the car for that 'piece of mind' issue.
       The price on GM Major Guard is not only list, many dealers discount, some don't. Shop around and see who might give you a better deal since as Shifty says, you will be much less disappointed if you do your homework. It's never going to cover everything.
    Last Saturday, I picked up my new quicksilver Z06. I've wanted a Corvette since I was 12 or so, and I finally got the opportunity to get one. The sticker said $52608. If you add tax and license, that comes to $54108. I paid $44770. There was a $3700 discount from MSRP, a $2000 rebate, a $750 GM loyalty check, and $3300 check from GM to be used on a new GM car before June 2004. Check News & Views, the Return of GM's Might II, message # 4277 for an explanation of where the $3300 came from. I used GMBuyPower to find a no-hassle price and it worked for me.
         What do I think? The car is beautiful, but C5 Corvettes are all that way in my opinion. I like the interior even though I didn't want leather. Corvettes only come with leather. I've heard all kinds of non-flattering things about the Corvette interior, from magazines and individuals. There are cars with nicer interiors, but considering all the other things this car can do compared to the competition, this interior looks very good to me.
         The car is tight and handles well, it is very comfortable, has superb brakes, and has pick up most people cannot imagine. The thing I like the best is that trumpet like wail I hear as I wind it out a bit. If you all cannot tell by now, I really like my new car.
    My wife swears that the salesman who sold us ours said that only about 6000 were made, including both open and closed models. That seems much to few to me, but if anyone knows the true number (even if it's 6000, it won't be the first time I had to eat my words with my wife) I would be interested. Thanks.

Try this link:

http://www.idavette.net/facts.htm

Right now it has the 2002 data and when you get to the Spec. Sheet just under the picture is the link to 'Final Production Numbers'. I expect the data for 2003 will be up in the near future, but
    didn't notice when it came out last year.

Also, BTW, Great deal on the Z06, timing is everything!
    Sorry, but your post was deleted because you are not allowed to make a direct link to other websites that host automotive forums which may compete with Edmunds Town Hall. This is clearly stated in your Member Agreement.

You were duly notified of the deletion but your e-mail is not operative. You *must* have an operative e-mail to remain in Town Hall.

Please submit an operative e-mail to: karen@edmunds.com, as soon as possible so that your membership isn't terminated.

thank you

MrShiftright
    Host
  • carattorneycarattorney Member Posts: 62
    I am goimg to get a 2002 Vette Auto Hatchback and I have narrowed it down to Flame Red or Yellow. I know this is a personal decision but I still appreciate any input anyone may have on which way to go. I am having a tuff time deciding--I like both a lot. Perhaps one color has a better resale value?? Anyone have any objective reasons why I should choose one color over the other? Does one color hold up better in the sunlight. I am in Phoenix , AZ. Thanks for your input.
    Since it's going to be used and there are fewer Yellow's available 1300 produced vs. 2800 for Torch Red you may depend on what's available. Since those are also, hotter, colors than Silver, White, etc., you may find that they come with a higher proportion of 6sp's but that would be a pure guess. Having now bought both a new, ordered the way I wanted and a used, best I could get given the market and distance I was willing to look, I'm guessing your best bet is to find the one with the lowest miles, best care, least likely to have been abused, etc., and Price! One you can personally test drive would also appeal to me, having driven several '92's to 96's and seeing a tremendous difference in quality.
      Spread 1300 anything across the whole US and factor down for auto's only, then I'm betting there aren't going to be lots for sale in any one area. So, as I said, Good Luck!
    Thanks for your advise. I have located a very nice Yellow one about a week ago, but not a red one yet. I was always leaning toward red, but the yellow has a lot of personality. I was just wondering if it was just a fad and if I try to sell yellow in 2-3 yrs, will that hurt my resale, whereas red will always be in style?
    Red is usually available since it is currently the second most popular color, black was most popular in 2002. Don't ask me why! Eck, pain to keep clean and hot, double Eck!
    As to yellow, since it is less popular, there are fewer available so when one comes on the market the probablility that someone will be interested is about the same for the more popular colors, given all else being equal, which it never is. Key is garage kept, delay sun damage as long as possible and not abused. Next factor is keep an eye on tire pressure, fairly easy in a car with electronic readings of tire pressure from cold to hot, and watch the alignment. With regular oil changes it should just about run forever or until some electronic component gives out, fairly rare.
    They are a kick, 6sp or auto, that's how I ended up with two. At least with the 6sp the mileage is amazing as I've mentioned several times before, enjoy.
    I think it all depends on luck. Personally I always see lots of reds on AutoTrader but not a lot of the other colors, except Black. Then it depends on if someone is looking for the other color when you want to sell. I think it's more important that you enjoy it while you have it than the few hundred it might cost or generate at the end of the term depending on the market. The deals right now seem to be great with a weak economy so enjoy whatever you get, that's the important thing with a ride like a Vette. Save the Wave and remember, miles of Smiles!
    I appreciate the comments. I normally buy and like Black vehicles no matter what the model (and I live in 115 degree Phoenix), but with the Vette--I want something that stands out more. Black Vettes are classy and mean looking, (I love them with red interior) but they kind of fade into traffic a bit.
    Another consideration in a MY (yellow) Vette. On a recent EARLY morning trip, 101 south to Santa Barbara, I was gaining on a YELLOW VW bug. The upshot is at a couple miles, it was simple to track, see, and notice. In fact, it was difficult to ignore! My Z06 is Speedway White and for as visible as it is, BARELY even gets noticed!
    Color is such a personal choice.
    For me, I HAD to have yellow...love it!
    Some yellows turn me off...the real light ones, some look almost lime colored. The vette yellow is much deeper.
    When shopping for my Z06 in July '01, I had to go to a Michigan dealer to even find one. Am not a bit sorry...in fact, am now negotiating for a new Z06 and it again has to be yellow.
    As to it being a "fad" color, I don't think yellow in a sports car is ever going to die.
  • lachancslachancs Member Posts: 16
    I have a '99 coupe and recently my drivers side power lock is failing. When I press the power lock button, or key-fob lock button, the passenger side locks but the lock on the driver's side won't flip to the locked possition. This is happening about 4 out of every 5 attempts. Anyone else having this problem or know how to fix it?
    Gbjerke - I believe yellow has been dropped from the set of colors available for the 2004 Z06. Now, it's down to black, red, and machine silver.
    Skeezix--
    Yellow is still available for the '04's. It's an option costing 750 (always has been) on the sticker...still worth it in my mind.
    '04's will have red, black, electron blue and a new silver called "machine silver", plus the millenium yellow.
    There is not a "bad" color for the Vette in my mind. I did however swear off black some years ago...georgeous, but what a [non-permissible content removed] to keep really clean.
    I think the Electron Blue is done and you now get the Commerative Edition Z16 option with LeMans Blue and stripes if you want blue. Not sure but that was the list I saw:

Black

Machine Silver

Torch Red

Millennium Yellow ($750.0)