Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey vs Dodge/Chrysler minivans

Comments

• socalawdsocalawd Member Posts: 542
    The info posted in 4646 is still incorrect. There is no 50 state Odyssey data, only California only and 49 state versions.Only 50 state versions of the DCX 3.8 are listed. Still no apples to apples.If you look at the little green U.S. map you can clearly see this the TRUTH. Poster Sebring95 is the poster I refer to that did not post where they got their data from.

The DCX 3.8L is available in all states I don't see whats hard to understand. The Honda has tweeked the emissions for Ca(which is where i live) So I can compare both of them to a DCX 3.8L! One for Ca and one for the other 49 states. I don't understand why there is a problem with this logic. Etheir way the Honda has a very good green score and the DCX 3.8L is much lower. As far as where Edmunds got that info I can't find it anywhere! Can you??
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    The info is posted in Edmunds which I referenced, stating I did not know where they got it from. Perhape the Host claries can help us out. Sebring95 has yet to post the source of their information. I questioned the source of sebring95's info as the site referred to is www.fueleconomy.gov not www.epa.gov both end in gov, now isn't that "special"
    The info is posted in Edmunds which I referenced, stating I did not know where they got it from. Perhape the Host claries can help us out. Sebring95 has yet to post the source of their information. I questioned the source of sebring95's info as the site referred to is www.fueleconomy.gov not www.epa.gov both end in gov, now isn't that "special"

Come on you know how much bigger goverments getting we have alot more politicial friends to appoint, fueleconomy.gov is part of the Department of Energy! Nothing special about that Dana! Shows tons per year from non VCM as 8.9 tons and VCM as 8.1 tons. The dodge 3.3 L is 8.6 tons and the 3.8L is 9.4 tons.
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    A number of posts have already been deleted tonight, and if there are any more disrespectful or off-topic posts, they'll be deleted as well. This isn't the place to discuss each others' driving records, the validity of links, or the inner workings of VSC -- it's the Odyssey vs. Dodge/Chrysler discussion. Please limit your discussion to comparing/contrasting the attributes of these vehicles, or take it to the appropriate board.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• dennisctcdennisctc Member Posts: 1,168
    Think of the progress in the past 30 years!!!!! Compare number of smog days in LA in 1969 vs. 1999. I've read where the air coming out of the exhaust is cleaner than the air going into the engine in some parts of the country!!!!

I remember my father moaning about electronic ignitions and how gapping points was a better way (since that is what he knew!)......now we have no keys, gas caps are going to dissappear next, flats are basically history.

On top of all that, just seen on Matt Drudge, a report on the Saudis having twice the oil reserves they previously thought they had!!! Enough oil to fuel a booming world economy (including China) for the next 110 years!!!!!!!!!

FYI - I'm a "glass is half full" kinda guy :)
    I stopped by the Dodge Dealer to check on 06 Minivans, and the warranty specifically. The salesman informs me that the warranty hasn't changed from last year??? But then goes on to tell me that the 7/70 is an "option", but the 3/36 overall is still standard. This guy wouldn't even talk price of "optional" warranty because the catalogs weren't out yet???

Sorry but that is change in my book, for the worst. Ohhh on top of that....."the 7/70 really isn't needed, Dodge has been building the same basic engine/tranny for 11 years without problems"??????
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    I'm not sure what you missed. If you go to the link I gave you yesterday, or here http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/byclass/Minivan2005.shtml you'll see the scores. The Greenhouse Gas emissions are simply a math equation of gas mileage. The Air Pollution score is gathered based on smog/15,000 miles, and based on various levels of smog output to correspond with a score. If you click the link above the Smog Output, you'll get a chart showing what the scores equal, in terms of pounds of smog. There is one Dodge 3.3L V6 that is in the ballpark compared to any of the Odyssey engines, in terms of Smog Pollution.
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    DaimlerChrysler has been making some stupid decisions lately. IF they reduce the 7/70 warranty they will lose market share.
    They may also lose market share because of their stupid decision to keep information on 2006 minivans off their web site while Honda and Toyota have made all information on their 2006 minivans available....even though Edmunds had the data before Honda and Toyota posted it. Edmunds has also had information on 2006 DC minivans in the Edmund's New Vehicle pricing. ;)
    All estimates are based on EPA gas mileage ratings.

From the Edmunds comparasion site, Pounds of smog producing pollution per 15,000 miles, Odyssey 3.5 = 20.8 - 25.0 POUNDS. Dodge Caravan 3.8 = 12.3 - 12.9. POUNDS

From sebring95 referenced chart, Greenhouse gas produced in tons per year per 15,000 miles, Odyssey 3.5 = 8.40 - 8.90 TONS, Dodge Caravan 3.8 = 9.40 TONS, Dodge Caravan 3.3 = 8.60 TONS. Thes ratings are turned into an air pollution scores of 2 for the Dodge Caravan 3.8 and 6 for the 3.3. The Odyssey 3.5 scored a 6 or a 7. Looking at another chart that converts Air pollution scores into POUNDS per 15,000 miles, translates into Dodge Caravan 3.8 = 39.0 -40.6 POUNDS. Dodge Caravan 3.3 =12.3 - 12.9 POUNDS. Odyssey with a 6 = 12.3 - 12.9 POUNDS, Odyssey with a 7 = 7.9 - 11.8 POUNDS. Clear now? Or still confused because CR stated EPA estimates can be up to 45% off?

Looks like Edmunds reversed its ratings, or they know something we don't.
  • tcusta00tcusta00 Member Posts: 4
    Ok, I'd really like some help here with purchasing an Odyssey. I've never bought a new car before. We can afford the Grand Caravan SXT with leather since they're offering EP. That brings it around 26K. We PREFER the Ody EX-L for obvious reasons, but in discussions with dealers (phone, email, one face-to-face) they won't budge from $30K, which is a hair under MSRP, but more than we want to spend. I've read all the haggling tips and tricks but haven't been successful. I've burned through 5 Maryland Honda dealers so far and the best price I've gotten is 30,300 with destination, which is near Edmunds TMV price. Is it possible to buy an Odyssey for invoice (or close to it) or am I dreaming???
    Sure they will discount, lots of folks have bought them for invoice or +/- $500. It really comes down to demand in your area, and how desperate a dealer is to make a sale. You may have to go a good distance if they're in high demand. DC (and I'd assume a big chunk of MD, VA, Philly) seems to be a tight market on Odys. Seems a good chunk of the mid-west can buy them fairly easy closer to invoice. The DC EP makes it simple, but DC dealers are already used to selling at invoice all day long. Just have to find a volume Honda dealer. Buy what you want, even if it's a little more. I've bought cheap a couple times, and it ended costing a lot more trading early since I didn't get what I wanted in the first place.
    Thanks for the info... I'd even be willing to travel to a dealership if it were 500 miles away or less if it would save me 3-5 grand. Any suggestions of dealerships that fit this profile in MD/VA/NC/PA/OH, etc and have sold an EX-L to you recently near invoice would be appreciated. I just got off the phone with a dealer who will do 28,755... we're getting closer.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I don't think you're dreaming, just unrealistic.

Cars sell for whatever the market dictates. They are worth every penny of MSRP when you compare them with what's out there. After hearing this from FIVE dealers, I'm sure I'm not telling you what you don't already know.

Also, know that some of the "Prices Paid" that you read about in internet forums aren't always accurate.
    In my book a "dream" = "something that's not real" (unrealistic), so you think I'm dreaming about getting a price close to invoice, which is a fair answer.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not thinking that a Honda isn't worth the price, but when I hear that a lot of people are getting invoice, or near that, of course I'm going to want that too! There's obviously some room for negotiation even in the most high-demand market (like Maryland) if one dealer is quoting me $32,500 and another one 5 miles down the road is at $28,800. Certainly you can't tell me the first dealership is demanding a 12% premium to the other guy because it's what the market dictates.... it's the same market. There are other forces at work here: i.e., negotiation, holdbacks, etc. I'm in this forum for some help because I want advice on how to negotiate with a dealer, knowing that I'm in the market for a G. Caravan or Odyssey.
    Based on what it's worth to you. Don't worry about the invoice, holdback or anything else. Don't worry about the dealer's overhead either.

Check the Smart Shoppers forum. A lot of advise there.

Also, please re-read my last sentence in my earlier post to you.
    Also, please re-read my last sentence in my earlier post to you.

I think we all got it. I'd like your method if you worked for me! I haven't seen prices paid that didn't seem more than realistic. Haven't seen any Odys selling for well under invoice, but the good deals are in that ballpark. Not sure why that would be so hard to believe. My third phonecall put me into an Ody EX-L R&N at invoice. I made it clear I didn't need any fancy playing around, didn't need babied, I would bring a check and take no more than a few minutes of the salespersons time. When I picked it up, I was in/out of the parking lot in less than 15 minutes. No reason a salesman shouldn't want that business. I've only paid more than $500 over invoice for two of my last ten new vehicles which include three toyotas, a honda, two Dodge, and two GM. Ended up $1,200 over on the wifes Lexus, and $900 over on the boys RSX-S. Sales folks don't like to hear this stuff, but that's life.
    Nope...gonna keep quiet.
    So since the dealer offered me 28,755 and I haven't made any offers yet, you guys think I should offer a bit less and call it a day since it's in spitting distance of invoice?

Thanks for all the advice...
    Was at bookstore and picked up a CR Buyer Guide, the cheap and lowly Dodge Caravan garnered identical ratings as the Oddy....all above average with body integrity slightly above avg (same as Honda). Not bad at all.
    Not very surprized since my 2002 T&C LX has greatly exceeded my expectations. ;)
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Tcusta00, this topic is for talking about the Odyssey's features, owner tips, etc. But the members in the Honda Odyssey: Prices Paid & Buying Experience and Smart Shopper Forums can tell you what strategies they used to get the prices/features they wanted.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• astronomerastronomer Member Posts: 9
    " I think the Honda and Toyota are "too prissy" i.e..nice, to stand up to some abuse."

Late reply, I know, but I'm just getting through the posts on this forum.

This was one of the funnier comments that I've read. How, exactly, does being "nice" preclude durability?!? Really! :confuse:

My wife and I were in the market for a minivan a couple of months ago.We have no kids, three dogs (two of them run in agility competitions) and a pile of telescopes and equipment for my astronomy hobby. We considered and tested DGC, Ody, Chevy Uplander, and Sienna. We were completely brand and model agnostic going into the hunt. After much long testing and discussion, the Ody LX came out on top for both of us. The upper trims offered us nothing that we needed, wanted, or could justify the $$ on (power doors - nope. 6 cd changer - nope, not with an MP3 player and an FM transmitter. Leather seats: With dogs? Fuhggeddaboutit! Sun roof: nice to have, but not necessary. What sold us was its versatility (we can fit a full sheet of plywood if needed), comfort, handling, and safety features. Our LX has all of the safety items and the same power plant as the rest of the line. For our lifestyle and $$, we feel that the Ody gives us the most bang for our buck. This in no way takes anything away from the Sienna and T&C. Both are great vans as well (Uplander omitted here intentionally) and quite honestly I'd be proud to have either in the driveway. For this moment in our lives, the Ody was the best fit, for us.

Cheers,

- Craig
    When you look at the details of how they're made and what they're made out of...i.e....Dodge has no cloth on door trim, whereas even the LX Honda does (I believe)...the Dodge's hard plastic interior I think would resist dog scratches much better than any level Honda.
    Oh puh-leeease! The recalls were few and minor.It's a new model. Let's try and keep the rhetoric to a minimum and focus on the good and bad points of either line, their features, and the comparisons between them. If I wanted brand/model rhetoric, I'd stick to the astronomy equipment forums :P

- Craig
    Hard to quantify that unless we had two vehicles side-by-side and a pair of rowdy dogs jumping around in each. There is hard plastic in the interior of the Ody as well. Like our old Chevy Blazer, we have a fitted rubber mat in the back floor of the van covering the recessed 3rd row and up to the back of the 2nd row seats, and the pooches ride in their kennels. Recently, I had four telescopes, two tripods, three equipment cases, a computer and other bric-a-brac in the van, hauling it in and out over a four-day weekend, and the van stood up to the abuse.

I should point out though, that my wife left one of our pups in the backseat of our leased '02 Malibu for a few minutes while she instructed a beginner handlers course (she's done this many times before, as Piper will bark his head off if he's in his kennel inside listening to her instruct). He usually settles down. Last week, something spooked him, probably thunder or a car backfiring. He shredded the rear driver's-side door. Neither the Ody or the DGC could have taken that! The dealer wanted about CDN$1000 to fix it. I'll go to a wrecker and get a replacement door panel there...

- Craig
    Recalls are one of the points to consider, especially when perceived quality is talked about. There's been 4 total recalls and they effected important areas like Braking and Airbags. The last recall effected over 85,000 owners (but none on this forum I'm sure) with potential of misfiring airbags. That's more important than 0-60 times, or number of cupholders in my book.
    Hard to quantify that unless we had two vehicles side-by-side and a pair of rowdy dogs jumping around in each. There is hard plastic in the interior of the Ody as well.

Based on my personal experience in reconditioning automobiles in college at a VW dealership, IMHO......the more cloth/leather etc...the more wear and tear is visible.
    The last recall effected over 85,000 owners (but none on this forum I'm sure) with potential of misfiring airbags. That's more important than 0-60 times, or number of cupholders in my book.

Misfiring, nice way to put it when I looked at the recall it said it possibly wouldn't go off. Not blow up in your face like you imply. Another slant to make things look worse then they are, same thing happened with my clockspring assy on my 2001 caravan. Go ahead and look up how many hits you have on 2001 Caravan and airbag light. Nice thing is they are taking care of it now. I don't think DCX ever recalled the clockspring assy! This was due to a sensor not being sealed properly. The brake problem affects 2200+ units and it was taken care of quickly. I like companies that come out and fix a issue. I'm not so sure DCX will. Here's a recent article that makes me suspect they just hope it goes away. Strange thing is there's been 33,000+ warranty claims on 2001-2002 DCX van headlights but haven't seen it here! Makes you wonder how good forums are for reliabilty information. My guess is not good at all!

Intensified NHTSA Probe of DaimlerChrysler Minivans

June 7, 2005
    The National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA) has upgraded its safety investigation that could lead to the recall of 813,597 Chrysler Town & Country and other minivans because of headlight failures.

Consumers are reporting that their headlights are not operating properly. The lights sometimes flicker and dim. There are complaints of lights intermittently shutting off.

Some consumers report that that they had to have their vehicle towed after the lights would not come back on.

The investigation of 2001 and 2002 model year Town & Country, Plymouth Voyager and Dodge Caravan models was upgraded by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration after 704 complaints and 33,539 warranty claims.
    DCX did recall all the minivans with the clockspring problem, and covered some outside of the recall.
    DId a quick check on the Ody while we were out driving today. There's only a small 5" by 18" or so cloth patch on the sliders and in the back. The rest of the interior walls and doors are plastic. The carpets all come up or can be covered with the fitted rubber mat.

- Craig
    Misfiring, nice way to put it when I looked at the recall it said it possibly wouldn't go off. Not blow up in your face like you imply.

Quibble all you want....misfiring or not going off when needed, isn't a good thing. It's not a slant, it's a fact. I don't memorize recall wording, it's difficult enough to keep track of the overall Honda numbers :)~

I never owned a 2001 DCX so I can't verify you statements as usual. I know Honda does recalls out of the goodness of their big corporate heart, while every other auto manufacturer lies and hides them!! If one wanted to waste their time digging up dirt on the others, go to it! But I'm not playing that game.

Common sense says you never purchase a first year model, and evidently this applies to Honda Odysseys....no company is perfect.
  • lifesanodysseylifesanodyssey Member Posts: 2
    "Leather seats: With dogs? Fuhggeddaboutit! "

Really? We bought leather specifically because of our three dogs. Easy fur clean up and very durable. Not to mention heated seats! Mmmm Hmmm, Toasty.
    Hi Dennis,

No car manufacturer is perfect. Most automotive designs can arguably be described as a series of compromises. If one wanted a vehicle that appealed to the lowest common denominator, I suppose that we'd be arguing the merits (or lack thereof) of the K-car...

So! Lets state that that the Ody and the DGC (and outside the scope of this forum, the Toyota Sienna) are worthy additions to the driveways and lifestyles of Joe/Jane Consumer. Let's keep in mind that, albeit expensive by any measure, these puppies are just things. Doo-dads. Necessities. Equals rising above the...ummm...also-rans.

Let's also dispense with the rhetoric. You've been quick (and often) to state either directly or through thinly-veiled inferrence that Ody owners feel a sense of superiority and that Ody owners feel that Honda "CAN NOT DO WRONG!". You (and a small few others), apparently, feel a perverse need to prick this illusary and imaginary balloon. Let me state without hesitance, as I've been reading these forums from post 1 to current, that the only folks who invoke this "infallibility" of Honda are owners of other brands. I really, sincerely, don't get it :confuse: . The only reason that I bring it up is that this rhetorical and knee-jerk provocation detracts from the whole point of this forum: To discuss the relative merits, advantages, and disadvantages, of either brand and their respective models for other prospective buyers. Personally, as I have stated, I am brand agnostic. Honda today, DGC next time, maybe Toyota. :D So far, after 2155 kilometers, we like our van. I guarantee you that when annoyanaces pop up (as they surely will - see my comment on compromises), I will be the first to state them.

My wife and I chose the Honda Ody LX. We also liked (and came very close to buying) the DGC. The Sienna was also so, so, close in the running. I find it annoying and frankly odd the need to poke at those who made one choice over another, and the need to infer that those who bought one over the other are snobs or who just bought on name and (supposed) reputation. We made our purchase after a lot of research, agonizing, negotiation, and testing. For us, though it was so, so, so, close, the Ody won, and just barely. And, most importantly, it won based soley on where we are at in our lives and for our personal circumstance. This ain't a winner-take-all thing folks. It's just a consumer decision regarding acquiring a thing based on what best works for you given your own personal circumstance. Let's leave the religious wars to the Apochromatic refractor telescope owners, audiophiles, and traditional religious zealots.

Stepping off of my soapbox and donning my flame-proof suit,

- Craig
  • 97xpresso97xpresso Member Posts: 249
    You won't need a flame-proof suit for probably the most un-biased post on this board, which sometimes I don't know why I read. Good luck with your LX.
    No car manufacturer is perfect. Most automotive designs can arguably be described as a series of compromises. If one wanted a vehicle that appealed to the lowest common denominator, I suppose that we'd be arguing the merits (or lack thereof) of the K-car...

Didn't I say this? FYI - If not for the K-car, who knows if we'd be driving Minivans today since they were the underpinnings of the 1st modern FWD minivan.

Let me state without hesitance, as I've been reading these forums from post 1 to current, that the only folks who invoke this "infallibility" of Honda are owners of other brands. I really, sincerely, don't get it .

You obviously haven't read too many posts. Comments/denials from members who make claims as to never seeing Honda needing to replace engines, or tranny problems being minor, or never needing an A/C guard, or DCX constantly being in the garage. Just last week socalawd commented without basis how my DCX product was in garage more than his'....total fiction.

The only reason that I bring it up is that this rhetorical and knee-jerk provocation detracts from the whole point of this forum: To discuss the relative merits, advantages, and disadvantages, of either brand and their respective models for other prospective buyers.

You'll get rhetorical and knee-jeck provocation from me when you want to limit discussion to just fluffy stuff, and keep distance from recalls/problem comparisons, which are merits, advantages/disadvantages for prospective buyers.
    Post# 4606 "I was getting worried the past few days though, there's been very little posting on the Honda Problems area. I knew it wouldn't last long....one owner putting new brake pads on after 10k miles!!! Pads must not last too long in order to provide the vastly superior braking that Oddys are touted for."

One owner, new pads at 10k. There's a statistically significant sample. Not knowing any other details, particularly the driving style of the owner, this is just a bit of nose-tweaking.

Post 4577 "Sorry there's a PATTERN of problems with the 2005 Oddys. This is a Honda vs. Dodge section, noting those problems for potential buyers is fair game. The last Honda recall affected 85,000 owners, a well known fact to all, even if it didn't affect you personally. Don't we also know for a fact that the Oddy doors came open during crash testing by the govt?"

"Pattern" of problems? Not really. 4 recalls. Have you read the details? The largest one covering 85k vehicles stated: "THE FRONTAL AIR BAG SYSTEM HAS TWO EXTERNAL IMPACT SENSORS. ON CERTAIN MINI VANS,SOME SENSORS WERE INSUFFICIENTLY SEALED DURING MANUFACTURING. IF WATER ENTERS A SENSOR, CORROSION CAN OCCUR. CORRODED SENSORS COULD SHORT CIRCUIT INTERNALLY. IF SENSORS FAIL, THE SRS WARNING LAMP ON THE INSTRUMENT PANEL WILL TURN ON AND REMAIN ILLUMINATED." Note that this affects some vans - the recall of 85k was cautionary. The other recalls affected 203, 1923, and 2247 vehicles.

One door opened partially, a few inches in that test.

Post 4566 "I get almost dead on EPA numbers, without some gee wiz cylinder deactivation to worry about somewhere down the road, and based on the 05 Oddy issues, it's not too far down the road."

Odd statement that. You're correlating a perception (yours) of a pattern of "issues" with future problems to the engine... :confuse:

My whole point of pointing out the above comments is that these are purely rhetorical, a "your choice was foolish, so I'm going to tweak you" response. For the person or family in the market for a new van, this offers nothing.

I absolutely agree that recalls should be looked at and discussed rationally and impartially. Are they systemic design flaws? What is the real risk of injury or death? Are they immediately concerning or preventative in nature? How was the issue handled by the manufacturer (Mitsubishi being the benchmark for the worst)? We looked closely at the recalls for the vehicles that we tested not only for the current model year but also for previous years as well. Our research did not show a pattern of issues with Honda, just new-model bugs that we feel were handled appropriately. The maturity of the DGC line showed only a seatbelt recall, as did the Sienna, which was a plus in their favor. At the end of our calculations, the issues related to the Honda recalls were not severe enough to be concerning. I would recommend to anyone who has concerns with new models to wait until the next year after a model's release. We got our Ody at the end of the '05 production, so I am not concerned at all with the minor recalls thus far. YMMV.

- Craig
    Funny how you don't include the posts the prompted those responses. In my book, recall after recall is a pattern. And if you go back thru the posts, you'll see many others have complained about brake pad replacement, just as many have complained about A/C damage. You may have missed the discussion on how the Oddy brakes are so much better than anyone else's...by a whopping 4 ft according to some tests.
    Hi Dennis,

Sorry if It appears that I'm picking on you, but your posts are the ones that kept popping out at me. In my experience, refuting possibly exaggerated claims with sarcasm is far less effective than correcting them with facts or logical probing questions. The former approach tends to distract from the issues regardless of whether your position is valid or not.

4 recalls, in my book, is not "recall after recall". Far from it, as three of those recalls did not affect many vehicles and there are no (as far as I am aware) deaths or injuries resulting from the issue(s) that generated the recall. The AC damage thing I can't speak to, but a look at the front of my Ody does show the condensor coils to be exposed by large gaps in the grill. Does anyone have any numbers on how many vehicles have been affected? Given that I'm not one for tailgating on dirt roads at high speed, I can assume that I should't be terribly concerned at this point ;) . I do hope that if this is a real issue Honda will improve the coil protection in future Ody iterations.

As for brake pads, at least two things can be the issue: the way the person drives, or there is a flaw with some of the pads Honda's brake pad subcontractor provided. Same with the sensor issue that affected 2200 vehicles. I recently had a problem with 1000 chips from a well-known semi-conductor manufacturer that had a particular lot code number. The other lots were fine, but this one run had flaws and had to be returned. Some flaws in electronics will manifest themselves only under certain conditions i.e. temperature, humidity, voltage etc, so they can pass initial quality tests.

Lastly, well, 4 feet may not be a whopping amount, but it may make the difference between a collision with another car's rear-end or a child or not. If you (referring generically to anyone) want to use emperical data, you can't arbitrarily regard one fact as important and another irrelevant to suit your position. Test results comparing vehicles under identical conditions are fairly black and white. If the Honda (or any other vehicle) had a a better stopping distance by 4 feet, it had a better stopping distance. If an Olympic gold medalist wins by .04 seconds, does that detract from the fact that he/she was faster?

Cheers,

- Craig
    You may have missed the discussion on how the Oddy brakes are so much better than anyone else's...by a whopping 4 ft according to some tests.

I come here to talk about whats different about DCX/Honda products. I don't feel superior at all. I also think what I paid for my van wasn't a ripoff, it was well worth the price considering resale and standard equipment!! I just liked the features of the Honda. In a car of this size VSA is almost a need in 2005. I also have no use for the stow and go which I think is DCX biggest selling point. I really like all the features and love the driving feel. It is has quicker passing times(which helps in LA traffic) and tests show it stops faster. The standard side airbags are also a plus, the interior is well thought out and easy to reconfigure. After 4 months its not perfect and there's things I'd change if I was in charge at Honda. I'd love a big center console(instead of that flip up thing) and telescopic steering wheel. Ok I know it nit picking but thats the way some people are! As for the recalls if I get any I'll get them fixed. For me(I said me here LOL)a few recalls is not that big a deal as long as the company comes out and takes care of it.
    Just last week socalawd commented without basis how my DCX product was in garage more than his'....total fiction.

It was a joke, see you had a oil change at the dealer and I didn't. So in fact you did go to the dealer one more time than me!! I didn't think I needed to point that out. My apologies for trying to be funny.
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    Unless it's a Dodge of course!

But I think the statement is too broad. I worked in service, too, and there were some models that seemed to go less miles on brakes than others. Older Ford Econolines and the '77 to '83 Chevy Impales, just to mention a couple. My daughter gets three times the brake mileage out of her Altimas than she ever did with her Tempos.

However, that being said, I'd have to agree that when I hear of just 10,000 miles on brakes there is either something wrong with that specific car/truck, or its the driver.

Dusty
    It was a joke, see you had a oil change at the dealer and I didn't. So in fact you did go to the dealer one more time than me!! I didn't think I needed to point that out. My apologies for trying to be funny.

Don't buy it!!! You said this before I mentioned my oil change even!!!!
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    rational, informative, level headed and unbiased posts astronomer.(You must be new here) ;) But, dennisctc and socalawd have been going at it longer than the Hattfields and McCoys. You may be wasting your breath...or keystrokes.

If you read any of mackcavas posts you would understand where some of the Ody superiority complex comes from. I have noticed it from a few...not soca though. But, I suspect you have those types in minivan owners of every manufacturer.

I came close to buying the Ody LX in July 2004. Thought it was a very nice van with a lot to offer for the money. Though didn't care for the overly boxy exterior styling. I think the current Ody generation is much more stylish and attractive. Though the DGC and Town & Country are a bit more appealing than Ody in exterior style, the interior needs a new makeover. :blush:
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    Don't buy it!!! You said this before I mentioned my oil change even!!!!

I read other boards can't remember when I saw it but you did it and said you were looking at the EP+ vans. I'd say first week of sept. The 24th was when i said that!
    As far as buying it, I'm not selling it so nothiung to buy here!!
    rational, informative, level headed and unbiased posts astronomer.(You must be new here) But, dennisctc and socalawd have been going at it longer than the Hattfields and McCoys. You may be wasting your breath...or keystrokes.

Hey astromer this forum is alot like family. So welcome to the family! As for me and dennis we like to push our opinions forcefully. I'm actually thinking he may find his way out here(Irvine is a huge place for car design)and we could have a good talk other beers and mexician food. He believes the Honda is too expensive and too prissy. I think Dodge needs VSC and to get a more responsive drivetrain. Then there's like 100 other small things we disagree about. BTW I think the McCoys started it!! ;)
    I'm not asking you to buy anything socalawd, I'm giving it to you!!!!

Here's your initial comments and my gracious attempt thinking that you had me confused with someone else. IF i'm wrong, and I had mentioned my Oil Change previously, please find the post and all will be forgiven (maybe!!).

2005 (2:47 am)
    Bookmark | Reply | E-mail Msg
    Replying to: dennisctc (Sep 23, 2005 9:02 pm)

CR is good for cold hard facts and testing standards. When the 2006 CR Auto Issue hits the stands, I'm certain the Oddy will be a recommended buy with all solid red circles.

Probably not all red circles but close Heck I've got 5500 miles on my car and you've been to the dealer more than me!! The Ody is a great vehicle. If you are cross shopping find a automall with both dealerships. Drive them both and see for yourself there's alot of personal preferance involved. I like the VSC which is not available on the DCX vans. Also like the looks the interior, the feel, the acceration, the braking, the reliability, the packaging, the standard side airbags! Stow and go is nice but the DCX to me seems like a one trick pony!

#4581 of 4697 Re: If a person must have the most power.... [socalawd] by dennisctc Sep 24, 2005 (9:04 am)
    Bookmark | Reply | E-mail Msg
    Replying to: socalawd (Sep 24, 2005 2:47 am)

Probably not all red circles but close Heck I've got 5500 miles on my car and you've been to the dealer more than me!!

You must be thinking of some other person on here. I have 8500 trouble free miles on my 2005 DC GC SXT and had it back to dealership once for a $29.00 oil change and tire rotation. They charged me $19 though because I misplaced the wheel lock and they couldn't rotate my tires.
    rational, informative, level headed and unbiased posts astronomer.(You must be new here) But, dennisctc and socalawd have been going at it longer than the Hattfields and McCoys. You may be wasting your breath...or keystrokes.

And I always WIN :P

Beware guys!!!! When I retire in a few years, I'm driving around the country, egging all your Oddys :) unless I buy myself a trouble free 2007 Oddy :P

Ohhh btw, please have all your kids watch My Bedbugs on PBS!!! It'll help me retire early (investor), buy a Dodge sprinter class C motorhome and egg all of you :P How's that for a shameless plug?
    I'm not asking you to buy anything socalawd, I'm giving it to you!!!!

Here's your initial comments and my gracious attempt thinking that you had me confused with someone else. IF i'm wrong, and I had mentioned my Oil Change previously, please find the post and all will be forgiven (maybe!!).

Here ya go. I'm sure all won't be forgiven LOL!!! It was all to get your goat after all the Odyssey are always at the Dealer remarks you've been pushing

Re: EP Plus is not the dealers bottom line! [salesman3] by dennisctc Sep 07, 2005 (3:08 pm)
    You wrote!!

Maybe this is a Detroit thing, but I was at dealership getting oil change last week and saw EP Plus on all the vehicles on showroom floor. What's this???
    And I always WIN

No after reading all our posts, people probably go out and buy the Sienna.

Beware guys!!!! When I retire in a few years, I'm driving around the country, egging all your Oddys unless I buy myself a trouble free 2007 Oddy

If you can catch me!
    Exactly what my friend did. He looked at Odyssey and Grand Caravan and...
    Bought a 2006 Sienna LE on Friday September 23, 2005. ;)
This discussion has been closed.