Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi Outlander

Comments

• cayennered1cayennered1 Posts: 193
    The curb weight on a 2.4, 140hp Galant is 3075lb. I own the V6 Galant but have driven the 4 cyl. and have to tell you that the engine is quieter and smoother than the V6 and performance was almost identical. Therefore, I don't think perfomance will be any problem at all on the Outlander. Personally I'm not interested in the AWD and would get front wheel drive if I considered this vehicle which probably would save about 150lb. in curb weight.

Looking forward to some road tests and other information. I'm hoping the interior is similar to the Japanese version which has multiple dash and seat trim treatments.
  • zircon2zircon2 Posts: 94
    I had a 93 Eagle Summit (Mitsu Expo) with a 2.4 L 5 speed, 130 hp. It was fast, powerful and excellent gas milage. I bet it is the same engine. Weight is greater in this vehicle, and 4-speed auto is questionable. The engine I had could scratch in 2 gears.

Had a 2000 CR-V. Ecellent build but total dog on power (auto tranny). Now wife has new CR-V with a 5 speed. Much faster, just like I remember the old Eagle. If Mitsu came out with this a year ago, we would have bought it. Ours had 130,000 miles when we dumped it; never spent more than 300 to fix anythting (I think we had to get a new disk brake). Great car. It weighteed about 4-600 lb less than this though.

Saw this thinf at auto show in Detroit. Really attractive IMO.
    I have to say that I'm not very found of the front end changes for the US version of the Airtrek (Outlander).

The Japanese home version front end is far more attractive. It's some kind of macho thing trying to give the US version a rough and rugged appearance with the thick vertical front. Maybe in person it will look more tolerable. Should be at dealers in August. My Galant lease is up in November though right now I'm looking at buying it off lease. I guess I must be pretty satisfied with it.
  • carspy01carspy01 Posts: 137
    Mitsubishi give some more information and specs on their webpage: http://www.mitsucars.com

You can register to get more info when available.
  • jaijacjaijac Posts: 1
    Hiya, folks. I'm reading about your concerns regarding the Outlander's power. I currently drive a '94 Mitsubishi Expo (anyone remember those?) that is slightly bigger than the Outlander and has a 2.4L Automatic, the same engine that was in my '93 Galant, and it has great pickup. It's been terrific for mountain driving as well as accelerating *fast* on the highway. One hopes the Outlander will perform as well.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,931
    Mitsubishi is giving a free $15 Gas card and a CD for test driving.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • diploiddiploid Posts: 2,286
    Thanks Steve. I could use a free car.
  • andil1andil1 Posts: 97
    I read in the Chicago Tribune that there is a car based SUV that Mitsu is going to build on the Galant sedan platform. It's supposed to be built in Normal IL and released in early 2003 as a 2004 model. Does anyone know how this model will differ from the Outlander? Does this model exist now in Japan or Europe?
    There was a spy photo of this vehicle in the Detroit News auto section. Not much clarity on the appearance as it appeared to be disguised.

This is a new model not sold elswhere and is specifically for the US market. As a Galant owner who is very satisfied with his vehicle I would think this may be a very nice product.
  • carspy01carspy01 Posts: 137
    Cay is right. So far the Endavour will be an US-product. Sorry, no spy-pictures yet.

The Outlander gets reviews in all magazines right now. Today's AutoWeek has a little article, as well as the September issues of Motortrend and Car and Driver.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,931
    First Drive: 2003 Mitsubishi Outlander

Steve

Host

SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• nwngnwng Posts: 664
    I think with 140hp pushing 3klbs, the car should move fine. But it will be even better with a 5sp and price below the matrix
  • mirde98mirde98 Posts: 95
    AS A VERY SATISFIED OWNER OF A 98 MIRAGE WITH 55K ON IT I HAVE TO SAY THAT I WAS VERY IMPRESSED WHEN I SAW THE NEW OUTLANDER. IT LOOKS TIGHT AND SPORTY. AND ITS INTERIOR HAS THE USUAL MITSUBISHI LOOK. SPORTY AND HIGH QUALITY MATERIALS. A V6 SHOULD BE A OPTION. AND THE FRONT END STYLE IS ALL WRONG. BUT WHAT'S MORE IMPORTANT THESE DAYS IS RELIABILITY. AND MITSUBISHI SHINES IN THAT DEPARTMENT. I CANT WAIT FOR A TEST DRIVE! GO MITSU!!!
  • th003gth003g Posts: 149
    i saw a grey silver 2 tone top model today... and I must say it looks good... front end in person is different in a good way... overall i like it better than the forester... and they may be bringing a turbpoversionover... the airtrek turbo r has 240 hp and its currently avaliable in places the airtrek is sold it has the same negine as the lancer evo.... sweet car.
  • tomj5tomj5 Posts: 209
    I bought a 1993 EXPO new and it has turned out to be the best car We have ever owned. The car runs as good after 150k miles as it did new. Gets the same milage (30 gpm) as it ever did. Totally trouble free. Only routine maintaince (belts, brakes, and oil). I have a 1990 Mirage (130k miles) that still runs great after 10 years of work driving. I am going to trade the Mirage in for a new Outlander. My wife refues to give up the EXPO. She says she wants a rebuilt engine when the current engine wears our (if ever). The 2.4L engine is a fantastic engine. Hopfully the Outlander will be as good or better. Viva MITSY!!!! Best cars in the World.
  • Coming back to andil1's posting and my reply, there are a couple of spy pictures (heavily disguised though) on www.autoweek.com spy-section and in some current monthly publications.
  • Having owned a 93 Mitsubishi built Colt Vista (same as the Expo), with 154,000 trouble-free miles, I'm looking forward to the Outlander. I've been looking at the CR-V, but since the Outlander is just around the corner, it might be worth the wait. Still not sure about the looks - I'm hoping it's not too station-wagon looking and more small SUV. Back to my Colt, it also has the 2.4 liter engine which still runs great, smooth transmission, and the car still looks new, well almost. Best car I've ever owned by far. It proves that Honda & Toyota don't have a monopoly on quality.
  • Test drove the Outlander last week. Well placed controls but the stereo was a little high on the dash for my taste. XLS has a nice lumbar support on the front seats, comfy. Floor mats look like a must as the carpet felt only so-so quality. Upright driver postition like the SUBARU Forester with good leg & head room. I'm 6'2". The seats folded down gave an area about the size of my Dad's '96 SUBARU Outback. 60 cubic feet. Engine compartment is clean and open. Maintenance looks like it would be easy. Startup was sound and doors closed firmly without rattle. Acceleration was very nice from the red light to about 50 mph then became less noticable. 50 mph on up was ok but not brisk. 75 mph was attained during some passing but you would have to plan ahead. Slower speeds were pleasing. A "short" up-grade was attempted and no noticable down shifting was searched for by the autotrans. Occasionally some shifting was noticable when gas was pressed with authority. If you wern't paying attention you would might forget about it. Shiftronic trans in manual mode was smooth to shift as long as you had the rpm's in the correct range, should give GOOD control in bad conditions. Parking lot turning was very good. We have a double S-turn followed by a u-turn here and it handled them VERY well. No noticable body sway so you could take a tighter line in the turns compared to a taller MiniSUV like the CR-V. Braking was good and responded without lags before the nest turn came upon me. Sorry guys but did not attempt any 60-0 emergency stops with the dealer salesman with me. Overall Rating is Good. Handling = Very Good. Acceleration = While not as ballsy and blazing quick as a '02-'03 CRV I tested, the Outlander should be good for everyday folks and only ok for aggresive guys.
  • You can now download the OUTLANDER brochure from Mitsy's website:

http://www.mitsubishicars.com/pdf/out03.pdf

• I think the dash is ugly. It does that sideways v thing like the Ford ZX2's does.
This discussion has been closed.