Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram Owner Experiences

1235»

Comments

• dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    At 1706 miles my new 2010 Ram Quad SLT Big Horn is doing well. A short ride on mostly country roads last Sunday help deliver the last tank at 18.39 MPG. At one point the display was indicating 22.1 MPG. On this last fill the display was off by .5 MPG, but this time on the low side (I averaged better than indicated by the EVIC). My fill was at the same gas station, but at a different pump. I think the difference might be the truck levelness between pumps. Further testing required.

I performed a cursory twenty-mile distance check for odometer error. Unlike the Dakota, it seems to be on. I will have an opportunity later in the week to check it over a 100 mile distance, which is more accurate.

The local Dodge haters have been scrutinizing this Ram for any flaw. One guy looked it over for fifteen minutes and just grumbled. So far this vehicle is as flawless as my Nissan Sentra and a heck of a lot more comfortable!

I put a small paint chip on the right side of the box down low below the right tail lamp assembly while trying to remove the tailgate. As I was trying to move the tailgate to the right in an attempt to clear the left pivot, I had to apply more force than normal which allowed the edge of the tailgate to careen into the corner of the box. Although the tailgate can be removed by one person, it is fairly heavy and wide enough to challenge people with short little arms like mine. The next time I'll have help. If you're not paranoid about scratches or dents like I am, no problem.

Lucky my dealer supplied me with a tube of touch-up paint for free.

Kcram, I noticed that the Ram Quad has a 76.3 foot bed length, making it shorter than the Dakota extended cab, something I didn't pay attention to until now.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Yeah, that 6 foot-4 bed was the concession to cab space back in 2002 with the larger Quad Cab - it was a 4 inch cut in bed length from the previous generation Ram.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
    Apparently if you what a Ram Crew and an eight-foot box you'll have to buy a 2500 or 3500. Actually, the long box is 98.3 inches.

While shopping yesterday, I saw a new Ram Dually with the new one-piece box side/rear fender. Is that a Ram first? i can't think of that ever being done before.

Bests,
    Dusty
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Yep, Dodge followed GM's lead with the integrated dually fender (GM uses a hydroformed side panel,. Dodge uses a stamping). Both feel it improves bodyside air flow... I like the idea because it means no dirt trapped in the seam of the attached fender, no extra bolt locations for rust, and it should be easier fo those quick dent repairs (the fiberglass can crack).

The 98.3 inch long-bed on the current design is also down from 100 inches on the 1994-2002 body.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
    I'm unsure if this is a trend, but the gas mileage of this new Ram appears to be slightly better around town than my previous '03 Dakota. So far measured fuel consumption at fill-ups are:

These were all mixed driving with little expressway driving (approx. 15%).

Took an ATV trip to Allegany National Forest (Marienville, PA) over Memorial Day weekend. I towed two ATVs and a 700 pound trailer, plus gear and one passenger. Leaving Rochester, NY, I was doing pretty good on Interstate 87 going south, with the EVIC indicating 17.7 MPG, but swinging west on I-86 the gas mileage dropped and the ECO didn't come on much because of all the hills. My average speed was 73 MPH. My fill-up in Kane, PA indicated that I got 15.32 on the tank. Coming back I slowed down to the speed limit (65) and when I got home and filled up I measured 17.82. My average speed was 64 MPH.

No problems so far. I found out that you cannot enter the System Setup mode while driving. The vehicle must be in Park.Haven't tried the recommended 89 octane yet. I'm waiting to get more miles on it.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • xxking9xxking9 Member Posts: 2
    Hello i have a 1994 dodge ram 1500 2 wheel drive the transmission shifts fine when i manually take it through the gears but when normal driving without shifting it will not switch gears till 4500 rpms the haynes manual said to adjust the tv cable to make sure that the trans link and the throttle body link are both in low idle and that the cable is directly fitted i did this and it kinda helped switching from first to second for a few times now its back to the way it was i also no ticed when you move the cable from up top the link doesnt push back all the way it seems kinda sticky i can still push it back about 1/8 of an inch or so do you think its the Cable/ the spring/ and the link on the transmission? and or the fluid and filet please let me know asap xxking9@yahoo.com if anyone has found a fix to this problem
    The transmission Throttle Lever Cable is either corroded or frayed inside, or you have a weak or missing Throttle Lever Return Spring on the transmission Throttle Lever, or on some models, the spring is on the throttle linkage at the engine. On vehicles that old they quite often rust, break, and fall away.

The key is that the cable should aways follow the throttle linkage freely back to idle. Look for stickiness anywhere in the linkage system. Keep solvent dry. Do not lubricate throttle linkage components.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • xxking9xxking9 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you very much for your help i have found a return spring at my local auto zone, however i can not find the tv cable what is the correct name someone said kickback cable is it the same if not where can i get one? also the lever on the side of the transmission can i just unbolt it clean it off real good with some sand paper and pb blaster and put it back on? once again thanks so much
    The cable in question is referred to in Chrysler nomenclature as the Throttle Valve Cable (hence, TV cable). It is a cable that attaches at the the throttle linkage, either at the carburetor or engine throttlebody, and actuates a lever on the side of the transmission. This lever controls hydraulic pressure in the transmission throttlebody which in turn influences the shift points of the transmission. If this were a General Motors product, it would be referred to as the kickdown cable, although the technical operation is slightly different between Chrysler and GM transmissions.

The lever on the side of the transmission should rotate within its range without and binding. I'm not sure what you mean by "cleaning off" the lever. If it appears stuck, you'll need to pull the transmission pan and remove the lever to thoroughly clean it or replace it, although that's pretty rare.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • yaardworkeryaardworker Member Posts: 1
    Hi kcram, I just purchased a 2010 RAM 1500 with regular cab and V6. 800 miles on it to date. My previous ride was 1991 Nissan pickup. It took a few weeks to get used to the size and high seating position but now I really like it. It has the short bed and is perfect for what I use it for. So far there have been no problems with it, knock on wood.
  • jamy2215jamy2215 Member Posts: 1
    HAVING PROBLEM WITH THE FUEL GAUGE, GAUGE NOT MOVING WHEN I START IT. LOOKING FOR THE FIRST PLACE TO START CHECKING, TO FIND OUT IF I GOT A GAUGE PROBLEM OR ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
This discussion has been closed.