Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram Accessories and Modifications

lamaratworklamaratwork Member Posts: 10
edited September 2014 in Dodge
Anyone out there with an '02 Quad have information on the best looking / best price on nerf bars / running boards and tonneau covers?

Comments

• nit1195nit1195 Member Posts: 9
    My personal opinion is the Westin Platinum Stainless Steel Nerf Bars. They have a lifetime guaranty and got them on Sale at the ATV store in Long Island for $425.00. They dress up the Mayor very nice.
  • yank2yank2 Member Posts: 49
    I had them on my 2000 Dakota Quad and now have the same on my new Ram Quad. An ARE Tonneau cover and Starboards Running boards all top of the line.. For a look at Starboards go to www.Starboards.com
  • ram4x4ram4x4 Member Posts: 24
    I have a 2001 Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab with rear drum brakes. Needless to say, they suck and don't stay adjusted for more than a couple weeks at a time. By 28,000 miles I already went through one set of front pads and the rear shoes still looked new. I remember reading a little over a year ago about a conversion kit to change the rear brakes to disc brakes but I can't find the info now. Does anyone out there know anything about it or where to find the info? Thanks
  • magillamagilla Member Posts: 75
    You guys might think about checking out Mopar.com. Enter the info for our truck model and all these nice items appear. I think it's mostly the accessory catalog on-line, but the prices are a bit better than what they offer in that hand-out I'm sure you got when you bought your new friend. Prices are about 10% less.

If you remember back, I mentioned a Mopar magazine in which a new Quad owner had tricked out his truck, adding hp (up to 350hp on a 4.7), handling goodies, and I think a nice bed cover. Check it out.
    Can someone with a cd changer in their '02 Quad tell me where this bad boy is mounted? I just got an aftermarket CD changer and would like to install it in the exact spot that the factory uses. Any info appreciated.
  • brnzbkbrnzbk Member Posts: 33
    Magilla, which brand of CD changer did your buy? I need to purchase one but haven't had the time to do any research. Mopar.com states that their changer mounts behind the back seat or under the driver's seat, hope this helps.
    I bought a USA Spec that Crutchfield said would hook right up to the factory cassette stereo. I don't know this for fact, but my guess is that the one sold by Mopar.com and in the dealership is a USA Spec model, rebadged. Both 6-cd changers, and the specs are pretty much identical. I bought mine from a guy that sells on Ebay. It was new and I got it for MUCH less than Mopar's $345 price and the dealership's price of $380. Kind of leary of pulling my dash apart to find the plug. I'll call the dealership and ask them where the plug is. Should be pretty simple. I'll let you know how it performs once I get it in. Still love my mayor!

Now looking for some step bars. Something durable and yet good looking.
  • wsmoorewsmoore Member Posts: 14
    I called Crutchfield to order the USA Spec, and they ended up recommending the
    Kenwood changer and an adapter to connect it to the factory radio. I went with
    their suggestion, and the total cost with shipping came to about $280.00. The
    installation was very simple. I put the changer under the drivers seat. The center
    section of the dash (02 QC) comes off by just removing one screw and then
    pulling the whole piece out. This exposes the 4 screws holding the radio in
    place. Remove those screws, slide out the radio, plug the adapter cable into
    a plug in the back of the radio, plug the cd changer cable into the adapter, and
    reverse the disassembly process. Crutchfield actually included some very detailed
    instructions, complete with pictures of the dash disassembly specific to the Ram,
    so that made it very easy.
    Anybody added tow hooks (front and rear) to the 02 Ram 1500? If so,
    what kind, and where did you mount them? Thanks...
    The only screws I saw anywhere on my dash were two screws at the top of the instrument cluster. I can't find screws anywhere else? My wife says I don't look (for things) very well, but I looked closely. Can you give me a clearer hint where the screw is located? Thanks.
    The black cover panel in the center of the dash (that has the control knobs
    for the heat and a/c) has a single screw on the right hand side, towards
    the bottom of the panel. There is a hook right by the screw that looks like
    it is probably designed to hold a trash bag. After removing that screw,
    you just pull the panel straight out. It takes a little bit of force to pull it
    out, to release the snaps that hold it in place - a little scary the first time
    you do it. I lowered the cup holders, lowered the ash tray, and gripped
    it by the recessed storage area under the a/c controls, and pulled firmly.
    Hope this helps...
  • jenkins430jenkins430 Member Posts: 1
    has anyone installed a navigation system in the new dodge ram? if so, what brand and model did you purchase? thanks
    Man, I don't know how much easier my installation could've gone. The hardest part was routing the cable, but I popped off the driver-side plastic piece on the floor, ran it through there and under the seat, and out the pre-existing hole under the drivers' seat. It's definitely spooky pulling on plastic parts that are held in with clips on your brand new truck. Toughest is actually mounting the changer to the floor under the seat, but that's really no big deal. BTW, I got the USA Spec for $215 shipped. It's brand new and the clarity is great. Works like it came from the factory. I thought about the Kenwood, but just couldn't pass the deal up. Anyway, thanks again for the tips and the confidence to open her up.
    I'm glad your installation went well. That sounds like a great deal on the
    USA Spec changer. Crutchfield was about $95.00 more than that with shipping.
    I'm sure you will enjoy it... I know I really like having everything still looking
    and working like it came from the factory. It seems to me that no matter
    how expensive an aftermarket stereo is, it always looks a little cheesy
    in the dash, plus it is a thief magnet.
  • jlamarjjlamarj Member Posts: 19
    Just installed a set of chrome Westin nerf bars on my Quad. They look great. I saw a Quad the other day with a set of nerfs that looked like they should go on a four door truck in which the back doors open from the center. The step pads were too far forward. Didn't look like a good match. I bought mine on Ebay. Got a good deal. My kids used to look like cliff climbers when getting aboard. They, as well as my bride, can now get in without a struggle.
    Just added a new Xtang cover. Snapless. Looks great! Fuel mileage will be tested on a trip to the coast in the morning.....
    Where did eveybody go? You got that CD player installed and just left me here......
    I checked out a really tuff looking t style grill/hood bra for the 02 Ram Quad on Mopar.com. Any advice?
    Hey man, these boards have gotten really quiet. Sorry. Still looking for some tubular runners (nerf) for my quad. Almost bought some (3") from a group on Ebay called Lawson's, I think. They were only $149. Sounded like a deal. What do ya think? I can't imagine paying what I've seen for Westins (upwards of $300+). Can they be that much better?
    I paid $250 ish for my Westins. They are chrome. I really like the look. My buddy has stainless steel ones and you cannot tell them apart. They all look pretty much the same to me. As long as they match the truck and you like 'em, who cares? I took my Quad for a trip to the beautiful beaches of Alabama this weekend. The new Extang bed cover kept things dry...not a drop of rain in the middle of two days of heavy downpours.
  • wwhiiiwwhiii Member Posts: 1
    I bought the $149 nerf bars from Lawson on EBAY. They look exactly like Westins, but they are called Wildcat Flash. Very easy install. No drilling required. I also bought my trailer hitch and tonneau cover through EBAY, as I was having a difficult time finding accessories for the 02 quad anywhere else.
    My friend with the HD2500 Chevy has stainless Wildcat Flash nerfs on his truck. They look great. The only difference is the screws for the step pads are exposed on his. Not noticable and not a problem. Ebay is full of cool stuff for the 02 Quad. I will getting the T shaped hood/grill bra from Mopar for Fathers Day next. It is the best looking one I have seen. Mopar.com Maybe I can find one on Ebay before then for less. It runs close to 100 bucks. The graphite headlamp covers are also interesting......
    If anyone has photos to share of their 02 Quad I would like to see them. JLamar@knology.net

Much appreciated.
  • brnzbkbrnzbk Member Posts: 33
    I picked up my new shell today and I must say that I am very pleased. The ride is much smoother, it is a noticeable difference. I purchased a Glasstite cap with a sliding foldown window and a bed mat. I need the covered space because I do a lot of camping and I have two dogs which are part of the family. If anyone needs info on this cap let me know. My truck is a '02 QC SLT 4WD 4.7 Auto with 3:55 locking gears.
  • rttunneyrttunney Member Posts: 1
    Any suggestions where I can find better visors then what my Quad Cab came with. I have Melanoma on my left ear and MUST keep it out of the sun.
    I was in the dealership today and guess what nerf bars this 5 star dealership sells? Wildcat Flash. Guess if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me.
  • garnetredodgegarnetredodge Member Posts: 1
    Has any owner of the new 2002 quad cab 4X4 1500's found a way to raise the front end just a bit? It looks so un trucklike the way it is. I don't want to ruin the alignment, or handling. Any custom houses that have kits, or know how??
  • rammer_mikerammer_mike Member Posts: 2
    FYI - I got a pair from ebay. The seller is from a company based in Canada and I think the name is discounttruckaccessories. The bid is currently around $45. The seller has like 5 of these items on auction.
  • clevacnclevacn Member Posts: 8
    I have an 02 dodge 1500 quad cab and elected to have running boards with the end lights put on it. The truck looks great with them on, however, the lights don't work right. When I unlock the doors with the remote, the running board lights come on, then they fade off in sync with the interior lights, but about 10 seconds later they flicker on then off again. According to the installer, the lights are overloading the computer module that regulates the lights so he suggested the old style plunger switches that fit in the door jam. I personally don't like this since they won't allow the lights to come on when you remotely unlock the doors. Does anyone have a solution to this problem? Is there a beefier module I can use to power these lights or another simple solution? Thanks.
  • mralanmralan Member Posts: 174
    Just purchased an 03 1500 ST shortbed with 4.7L/auto tranny.

I'm considering some mods to improved gas mileage, e.g. air intake sytem, performance exhaust, and maybe high performance computer.

Anyone have any luck with any of these mods? Will they affect my warranty?
  • armyman28armyman28 Member Posts: 1
    i was wandering if anyone had a suggestion as to where i could place subs in my 2003 1500 qc.also any help with accessories such as nerf bars,fiber glass covers,and engine mods. i eventually want to race my truck.
  • bstennettbstennett Member Posts: 4
    I had a customer bring back his truck to the dealership to show off his new subwoofers. His truck didn't have the flat fold out trays in the back and he mounted his speakers under the back seats, his amp under the driver's seat, I think he had 2 10" woofers mounted on a solid plywood sheet, covered with matching carpet and mounted into the underseat storage. Aside from that I don't know where else you'd put them.
  • bstennettbstennett Member Posts: 4
    If the standard extending visor's aren't enough, you may want to try a small generic visor mounted above the door that you can drop down to protect your ear. I don't like the sun in my peripheral vision so I just swing the regular visor around to the driver's door and slide it back to block the vision. Hope this helps.
  • impulse63impulse63 Member Posts: 2
    has anyone installed the hard,4 piece,folding tonneau cover from Mopar? And how do u like it? Can u put any weight on top of the cover ?the dealership has no clue. Anyone installed the Roll N Lock retractable cover? Experience?
  • earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 39
    Does any one know if the parts are available to add the wheel controls to your ram ?
    Sure would like to get some!
    Please let me know
  • loncrayloncray Member Posts: 301
    I was under the impression that the factory controls are only available from the factory, and only with the premium Laramie stereo. I'm sure somebody will put out an aftermarket set to clip on the steering wheel sometime or another.
  • sdscheffelsdscheffel Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone out there installed a lower degree thermostat. My 96 1500 with 5.9l w/ auto trans runs in the 200 to 210 range year round. It has run that hot since I bought it with 40k miles on it 3 years ago I now have 110k miles. I have a Mopar Performance PCM, Accel Cap(Brass contacts), Rotor, and High voltage Coil. High flow air intake, I run synthetic engine, trans, and rear end lube. MSD 8.5 MM plug wires and Bosch Platinum +4 plugs. My next mods will be a set of Summit Racing truck headers, and a cat back dual exhaust. I am thinking about a JET Powertech 180 degree thermostat. It is supposed to meter the water through the engine better for a more consistant engine temp. I just wonder if it will cause my truck to run in a closed loop all the time. I know that it goes to an open loop(runs off the sensor data and not a preset program) when it gets to a preset engine temp and I don't know if 180 degrees is to low. If any one knows or can give me a good source of info it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
  • wtcmaswtcmas Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone give me some information on how to increase the horsepower on my new Hemi without voiding the factory warranty. Do you have some suggestions? Thanks for the help
  • iaajiaaj Member Posts: 6
    Love my 03 Ram 1500 QC 4wd hemi Laramie Sport w/ 20" wheels...1200 mi so far, getting 12+ mpg, no problems to report, Infinity 6CD decent/acceptable.
    I thought it sounded pretty decent stock but added FlowMaster exhaust with dual pipes, now it sounds AWESOME! But now it needs more power! Where can I get a bolt-on supercharger (I would expect additional exhaust mod)?
    Also, since I wanted 20" wheels I couldn't get the Off Road pkg - I don't like the lean/roll on corners - any recommendations to mod the suspension, without sacrificing the fine ride I get now?
  • amoralesamorales Member Posts: 196
    Try Kenne-Bell or Blowzilla. They did a set-up for the Chrysler 300. Want to kick it up a notch on my recently puchased Ram 1500 Hemi-express Club-cab....May check into the Flow-Master set up and also see if K @ N has an air intake system
  • pizza442pizza442 Member Posts: 110
    Any opinion on bedliners---drop in's or spray in's? How about between dealer/Mopar liners vs. aftermarkets? The fleet mgr. offered to drop one in for $280 cash price, my buddy thinks that's great for a dealer install and Mopar part. My other buddy says to go to a bedliner place and get one for $99 and just drop it in myself, but what about fit and quality diff? I just bought a Ram 1500 "Work Truck" SC shortbed 3.7 5spd man strippo, which I love; bought it for light work duty for my pizzeria.
    Jay
  • mcl01mcl01 Member Posts: 4
    I had a SpeedLiner sprayed into my 2003 Ram Quad. Looks great and well worth the $399 I paid to have it blown over the rail. Chose it over Line-X and Rhino because of the Kevlar. Took longer to dry but worth the wait. Just put a Retrax rolling tonneau cover on too with a lock for the gate. Looks fabulous together and the quality is outsatnding. Best prices I found for accessories is http://web4jnj.com/ Check them out. The guy (Jon)is great to deal with.
  • pizza442pizza442 Member Posts: 110
    I would like to add factory fog lamps to my 2003 Ram ST. I was told by the parts counter guy that the Mopar kit has one flaw; the switch it comes with is just a tacky toggle switch, but is the only part diff from the factory installed version. But, he told me the thing to do is order the Mopar foglight and jumper wire kit which connects both fogs to the driverside headlight wiring harness in an existing pigtail in the harness, and then you just buy the dash headlight switch with the knob that pulls out for the fog lights. That way you use the existing wiring and don't have to run an additional wire to the dash and use a cheap toggle switch. Ends up a little cheaper than the other kit, too.
    My question is: anyone do this yet? I see only the kits with the add-on switch on Ebay. And I would like to find a used dash switch to save $.
  • iaajiaaj Member Posts: 6
    Can someone tell me the differences in sway bar and/or springs and shocks that would come with the off-road pkg on the 2003 ram 1500 4wd quad hemi laramie? I wanted the 20" wheels (great looking) so the off-road pkg was not available; I'm wondering how I could reduce the lean on corners without sacrificing the comfortable ride too much.
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    Not sure. On my Dakota the heavier suspension (6100 lb.) with front and rear sway bars, wider wheels and larger tires, came with the Sport Plus package. So its part of the "standard equipment."

I don't believe there's a "Sport" equivalent in the RAM series, but I've seen one with front and rear sway bars so Dodge at least does offer them.

You could simply buy the sway bar(s) and necessary mounting hardware and install them yourself. That would make a noticeable difference, I would think. In fact, I know someone who did just that on their Chevy and it really made a cornering difference. I don't know if I'd elect to replace the rear and front spring with heavier versions, but you could do that, too.

The last thing I'd do is install load leveling shocks. My son did that to one of his Blazers and his '91 Dakota. It made both of them ride like bricks.

Best of luck,
    Dusty
  • hemithzhemithz Member Posts: 1
    Try the MTX 10" woofers. They come in a premolded case that will securely fit under your rear seats. It comes in two colors which will match your interior. There is an option of purchasing the speaker system with or w/o an amp. I'm going to pick one up for myself. It's a neat fitting system that will look and sound good.
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    I witnessed a RAM Quad 1500 the other day that I thought was a Hemi. Later I was told that this RAM was supercharged and was an '02, so it must have been a 287 (4.7) motor. I was impressed with the performance.

Anyone know who makes this accessory?

Regards,
    Dusty
  • juriasjurias Member Posts: 9
    i have a 4.7l 02 ram 1500 what can i do to improve performance without spending thousands and w/o voiding warranty.
  • loncrayloncray Member Posts: 301
    Not voiding the warranty is the tricky part - search the pages of any truck magazine for vendors - there's a zillion of them all selling parts to make your truck faster. There's plenty of things you can do relatively inexpensively - I think I'd start with a cat-back exhaust system, and maybe a less restrictive air filter. If you've got an automatic transmission, be extra careful - they're probably the weakest point in the Ram - if you put more than stock power thru there without extra cooling you're taking a chance.
  • iowabigguyiowabigguy Member Posts: 552
    Probably a Kenny Bell system.
This discussion has been closed.