Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

02' S-CREW VIBRATION/NOISE PROBLEM

ferdsfordferdsford Member Posts: 5
edited March 2014 in Ford
I RECENTLY PURCHASED A 2002 FORD F-150 S-CREW WITH THE 4.6 AND 3.55 L.S. DIFF. I AM EXPERIENCING A VIBRATION/NOISE THAT SEEMS TO BE COMING FROM THE REAR OF THE TRUCK. IT ONLY HAPPENS FROM 52-60MPH. THE DEALER HAS REPLACED THE DRIVESHAFT (TWICE) AND THE RING AND PINION ALSO. THE AXLE SHAFTS WERE CHECKED FOR RUNOUT AND THE RIMS AND TIRES WERE SWAPPED OUT.
THE VIBRATION ONLY OCCURS UNDER A LOAD NOT WHILE COASTING.IT IS VERY NOTICEABLE WHEN CLIMBING A GRADE.
THIS TRUCK HAD ONLY 500 MILES ON IT WHEN I BROUGHT IT BACK TO FORD.
THE PROBLEM STILL EXISTS TODAY. DOES ANYONE OUT THERE HAVE A SIMILAR PROBLEM?
DROP ME A LINE IF YOU HAVE ANY IDEAS
THANKS

Comments

• frey44frey44 Member Posts: 230
    I would highly suspect the torque converter OR possibly and engine mount resonance problem of some sort. I had a strange problem like that once and it turned out to be a very lose engine mount on the driver's side. In a GM vehicle, a torque converter problem (in a 4 speed Turbohydromatic with o/d) the vibration occurred at abut 45 to 50 UNDER LOAD, like your problem. They ended up replacing the torque converter. ALSO, DOUBLE CHECK to MAKE SURE the tranny fluid is a) at correct level and 2) the CORRECT FLUID. Take NOTHING for granted in a new vehicle.
  • white250white250 Member Posts: 68
    It sounds like a torque converter. I had a 99' ram & the exact same thing you described happened to me TWICE !!! I had so many problems with that ram. I switched to Ford & got a F250, love it !!!

Have the dealer do a load test on the torque converter.
  • crosley4crosley4 Member Posts: 295
    A slight vibration at the speeds mentioned.

After I lowered our truck 2 inches all around , I had to shim the differential to correct the pinion angle. THe vibration was quite bad before I shimmed the diff.

Normally a vibration under power the pinion yoke angle is too high. If the vibration is on deceleration the angle is low.

Your trouble may not be the angle of the drive shaft. Just some random thoughts of mine.

If I am on the throttle hard(3/4 or WOT) the vibration is very noticable.

My Ford truck is a 5.4 , 4x2 unit.

FWIW , I also own a 2000 1500 Silverado 4x2. If I get a heavy load or trailer on it the truck vibrates your teeth out in first gear. The dealer's answer was "add air bags".

The real problem with the chev is when a heavy load is added.... from the center support bearing of the drive shaft to the diff the drive shaft is actually pointing up. This puts a real bad angle on the u joint. When power is added the diff nose moves up and makes the angle even worse.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Turn off the CAPS LOCK and the vibration will go away.
  • radar349495radar349495 Member Posts: 2
    Have vibration in speed area of 40-50 mph, feel it in the body more than the steering wheel. Dealer claims unable to find cause. So far they've rebalanced wheels, driveshaft and put a rubber damper on tranny mount. They claim Ford doesn't have any service bulletins on it.Any possible solutions can take to them would be appreciated. Thanks
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    The problem with vibration on the crew cabs has been the change in driveshaft and angles from the regular and extended cabs. This issue exists not only with Ford trucks but with other makes also. Since dealer has already changed the driveshaft twice, you may have to live with the vibration in your SCrew. crosley4 is gives good advice and if you know of any mechanics that have corrected driveline problems with lifted trucks they would be a good resource. It is more of an art than a science to fix this type of issue.
  • jaguar0027jaguar0027 Member Posts: 387
    owners get your vibrations fixed?
This discussion has been closed.