Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey vs Dodge/Chrysler minivans

Comments

• nwngnwng Member Posts: 663
    if you trade 2-3 years, there are plenty of people. For cheapskates like myself, I planned to own the ody for about 10 years and no more minibus for me.

I hope by then there are hybrid or diesel small 6 pass vans in the US market
  • socalawdsocalawd Member Posts: 542
    True...but didn't Honda come out with a totally redesigned Odyssey for 2005.

Sure they did, I think anyone on here would know that. I was just saying that the DCX market share compared to the Odyssey market share is not getting any better. Actually Honda is getting closer. I just wonder what 2006 will bring. I'm seeing lots of Odysseys now. Even when I bought mine in the end of may there weren't too many on the road. Looks like it will be a tough year for all car manufactures!
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    What I was trying to imply, in a subtle manner ;) , was that you mentioned the new stow n go seating in the DCX van sales...but failed to mention the all "new" 2005 Ody being a big part in the 2005 Ody sales. Stow n go and all new Ody are big reasons many people held off in 2004 waiting to buy 2005 models. So, I expect 2006 to be down a bit because of that and because of the economy and interest rates.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    Man you really now how to bend statistics to make Odyssey look good.

DGC increased sales calendar YTD through end of October by a total of 29,114 units.

Honda increased sales in the same time frame by 19,458 units.

I think I will start up Joe Blow Minivan company. Maybe I will sell 10 units the first year and 20 the next. If all other manufacturers stay at the same levels of sales, then I can advertise that I have DOUBLED my market share!

Any company starting from a larger base number will not show the same percentage increase as someone starting from a smaller base.

Gimme a break!
  • dennisctcdennisctc Member Posts: 1,168
    I would argue that although Honda sales are up, Honda didn't get the bang for the bucks they should have.

Although, the Odyssey isn't all that new either...same engine, tranny, and chasis. They built on top of what they already had....added features etc.. just like Dodge.
    Man you really now how to bend statistics to make Odyssey look good.

DGC increased sales calendar YTD through end of October by a total of 29,114 units.

Honda increased sales in the same time frame by 19,458 units.

I think I will start up Joe Blow Minivan company. Maybe I will sell 10 units the first year and 20 the next. If all other manufacturers stay at the same levels of sales, then I can advertise that I have DOUBLED my market share!

Any company starting from a larger base number will not show the same percentage increase as someone starting from a smaller base.

Gimme a break!

Ok so your saying you can make Ford Winstar numbers look good. YTD October 2005 60,215 look a smaller number than the Ody number. Now YTD 2004 87,556. A loss of 20.9%. All I am saying is that DCX is not running away with the sales as I keep hearing Ody had a bigger increase in sales!! So they are losing some share to Ody! they had a 2.51 to 1 ratio and now they have a 2.37 to 1 ratio. So go start joe blow vans but until then I'm gonna be on the Ody vs DCX van website.

Gimme a break A John Stossel saying man we are so not original in here(a chandler bing ripoff). ;)
  • fljoslinfljoslin Member Posts: 237
    I just purchased a 2006 Odyssey over a Chrysler largely because of the engine. What if DCX puts their 3.5L engine or better yet the Hemi into a minivan? Can you say HEMI?
  • master1master1 Member Posts: 340
    Hondas are much better than Chryslers/Dodges point blanck. For starters, if you actually look at the Chryslers engine, THEY RUST LIKE CRAZY! The engine is also made out of IRON, instead of ALUMINUM! The Chryslers are underpowered, and the quality is just horrific. Another example is the dashboard - it is a very thin, and cheap and hard plastic which looks terrible, and isn't even safe to have. The sliding door has a plastic chain that could easily be broken off. Hondas, or Japanese cars are much better in quality, and reliability than American made cars.
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Yes...I can say HEMI... "Hemi"

Are you saying you would have bought the Chrysler if it had their 3.5 or Hemi engine it it? I think anything over 240-250 hp would be going to waste. For most people a 200-230 hp engine would be more than adequate. They are suppose to be family haulers. Whenever I try to drive the least bit aggressively in our minivan my wife hits me in the head with a skillet she keeps under the front passenger seat.Yeah...I know...that explains a lot of things. And it's not one of those new teflon coated thin jobs...it's one of those antique suckers with quarter inch iron. ouch. :sick:
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Hi, jcronin,

This is the Odyssey vs. DC Minivans discussion, and you're more likely to get the feedback you're looking for in our problems discussion. I've moved your post there -- just click the link to get to your post and its responses:

Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler minivan problems, post #3419

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

You can tell you're a newbie member master1. You might want to review some of the many problems in the Honda Odyssey Problem area before spouting off.

1) Cosmetic rust on the outside of an engine is meaningless.

2) Some models are underpowered for sure, like the 4 cylinders in SWB version. But then people who can't afford $25k for a new Honda but desire a new vehicle can afford a DCX minivan - great for a young family. On upper level DCX minivans, the 3.8 is only 1.4 seconds slower to 60 mph, produces same torque as the Ody, gets the same gas mileage, and in some articles, produces less pollution (although I question this myself).

BTW, a little off topic here, but was reading in Autoweek about the Toyota Prius. They made a point after long term tests, that even though the Toyota produces less pollution than many cars, and costs thousands more, a Ford Focus now meets same pollution standards, costs thousands less without the questionable battery replacement somewhere down the road.

3) Horrific quality...Consumer report rates Honda and DCX van identical for 2004 and 2005. One need only look at the Honda problems and recalls to see Honda is probably more horrific than DCX. Since you're a newbie, I'll assume you haven't read through the problem areas for Odyssey....poor gas mileage, windshield noise and replacement, poor AC canister placement, door problems, brake problems etc.... Lets not forget the 4 Ody recalls on 2005s also.
    I did not state anything about Windstar, so don't accuse me of bending statistics on Windstar/Freestar, which indeed has lost sales and market share and is going nowhere.

I only restated the same numbers you put in your post, which shows on an absolute basis of number of minivans sold, DC increased sales more than Honda.

Sure Honda increased more on a percentage basis because their basis for sales was much smaller than DC.

Just look at the imaginary Joe Blow company as an example, going from 10 vehicles to 20, wow a 100% increase in sales and a 100% increase in market share, vs another large established company that say went from 300,000 sales to 330,000 sales, "only" a 10% increase. Which one is actually making any appreciable headway?

Considering the increased competition in this market, with Honda and Toyota building admittedly good minivans, and also with Kia, Nissan, Ford and GM all trying to a lesser degree to get a share of the pie either with minivans or newer crossovers, it is even more impressive that DC has been able to increase sales.
  • aaron_taaron_t Member Posts: 301
    Next DCX minivan redesign is supposed to get a 4.0L + 6 speed auto.
    with power Stow N Go!
  • fljoslinfljoslin Member Posts: 237
    I was joking about the HEMI.
    However, if the Chrysler minivans had the 3.5 L engine available the choice would have been much closer. I probably would not have purchased a new DC due to the rapid drop in resale, just the same way that I would not purchase a used Honda because they do not drop in resale value.
    As for DC reliability I had a 1992 Grand Caravan which I donated to charity in 2001 with 170,000 miles on it running fine (original engine, trans, A/C). I have a 1999 Intrepid on which in six years I have spent about $450 above normal maintenance (trans sensor and wheel bearing) and my wife has a 2005 Pacifica which with 14 months on it has had no problems other than a window problem fixed under warranty. The Intrepid has the 3.2 L engine which is the same as the 3.5 L engine in the Pacifica except for cylinder bore. Either of these engines would have been great in the minivans.
    Why don't you have you wife check out the back seat. That is where my wife usually sits. ;)
    Honda but desire a new vehicle can afford a DCX minivan - great for a young family. On upper level DCX minivans, the 3.8 is only 1.4 seconds slower to 60 mph, produces same torque as the Ody, gets the same gas mileage, and in some articles, produces less pollution (although I question this myself).

Yes the 1.4 seconds slower is from CR but as far as the gas mileage from CRthe DCX is 17 mpg overall and the Odyssey is 19 mpg, why don't we use all the information? Almost all tests show this to be about right. The horsepower is much lower and the passing times are considerably slower 45-65 Ody 4.3 sec. DCX 3.8L 5.6 sec. The only place I saw anything about the smog being less is on the edmunds site I belive it is a typo!!

Look here!
    link title

The Ody poster a 7 and 6 for a overall 13 out of 20. The 3.8 liter DCX van was 6 and 4 for overall 10 out of 20.

Horrific quality...Consumer report rates Honda and DCX van identical for 2004 and 2005. One need only look at the Honda problems and recalls to see Honda is probably more horrific than DCX. Since you're a newbie, I'll assume you haven't read through the problem areas for Odyssey....poor gas mileage, windshield noise and replacement, poor AC canister placement, door problems, brake problems etc.... Lets not forget the 4 Ody recalls on 2005s also.

Really not very concerned I've got 8,000 miles of carefree driving with no issues. The other cars that have been long term tests have been pretty good so far! I see alot of people claiming 28 on the highway and 22-24 overall
    link title
    on the vans gas mileage forum for there Odyssey. Kinda wierd that that isn't being pointed out here. It's alot easier being negative than positive. Problems area's on forums are a place for people to complain without any way of knowing what you have got! I'd take all of what I hear here with a grain of salt! Even this post is only marginial LOL. As for the one I am replying too. You can make your judgement I already made mine! ;)
    Sure Honda increased more on a percentage basis because their basis for sales was much smaller than DC.

Just look at the imaginary Joe Blow company as an example, going from 10 vehicles to 20, wow a 100% increase in sales and a 100% increase in market share, vs another large established company that say went from 300,000 sales to 330,000 sales, "only" a 10% increase. Which one is actually making any appreciable headway?

I was replying when this started that Ody was not losing market share, thanks for pointing out what I first stated. DCX is not increasing as fast as Honda in minivan market share! Thats all I was saying! The ratio says it all if DCX was increases market share the ratio would go up. Please read the originial post saying that DCX wasn't worried about profit just market share

link title
    Yes the 1.4 seconds slower is from CR but as far as the gas mileage from CRthe DCX is 17 mpg overall and the Odyssey is 19 mpg, why don't we use all the information?

I don't see too many Honda owners clocking and posting their 0-60 times on here. I don't see a "POST YOUR 0-60 TIMES HERE" thread?

However, I do see plenty of complaints about dismal MPG on here.

BTW - we're talking MINIVANS here, not Corvette vs. 911. Don't know too many minivan buyers overly concerned about 0-60 times. I'd think most are more concerned about price, mileage and quality.
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    Glad my 2002 T&C LX with 3.3L V6 has an excellent compromise between performance and fuel economy. It can maintain or exceed the speed limit anywhere it has been driven while providing outstanding fuel economy. ;) Fuel economy is much better than the 01 Odyssey EX owned and driven by a family member.
    BTW, we have never had a drag race to see how much faster his Odyssey is than my T&C. :shades:
  • master1master1 Member Posts: 340
    I'm not saying the DGC is slow but it could use more power, and besides my MAIN point is that the quality needs improvement, and especially Dodge's history with Durangos that have wheels that fall off. I am aware of the recalls with the Odyssey, but the main reason for that was because it was a completely new engine - around 2004 Hondas Odysseys weren't having as many recalls. Hondas 2006 Odyssey is excellent in quality AND VALUE. For 24, 000 you get a mini-van with basically all the essentials needed, and for 27, 000 you get some more features. I hope I have not offended anyone in what I've wrote, because I'm not trying to -- just post my opinion since this is the forum for comparisons. In response about "my failure to reading about the Odyssey problems," I have visited that page, but you cannot always believe everything posted on those pages because some people don't always maintain their cars the best, and some just lie. I mainly go by FACTS from Consumer Reports, and my knowledge of cars. Once again, I hope I haven't offended anyone, I'm just posting my opinion. ;)
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    You can't use "Facts" and "Consumer Reports" in the same sentence. see the Edmunds forum on Consumer Reports.
    I hope not to offend either. I believe Honda needs to improve quality greatly, especially with their history of faulty trannies, recalls on Ody and the numerous complaints online. DCX's 2006 Caravans/Grand Caravans are excellent in QUALITY AND VALUE. For $19,000 you get a minivan with basically all the essentials needed, for $22,000 you get even more features. You can spend even less if you only require a SWB minivan with a 4 cyl engine.

Your FACTS aren't rooted in CR because they are now rating the DCX and Honda as equals with their little colored dots. I don't recall CR or any rags commenting on rusty engines, or hard plastic IPs being thin and dangerous. Sorry but these are mostly opinion, not FACTS. A softer IP is not safer, maybe in the 60s before airbags? My customer is Visteon, they design and manufacture entire IPs for Ford, Nissan, Honda and a few other OEMs. You may believe what you say but I deal with the engineers daily and many of the safest cars have hard, thin, plastic IPs (Volvo, BMW, Audi). Actually go press the IP of a Dodge Caravan, feels pretty soft to my touch. I'm able to depress it .25 inch easily....I dont think this makes it safer or less safe....I think my dual stage and knee airbags do more for my safety. Again I see mostly opinion, and less facts.

What always baffles me is...you have DCX selling at least 2 times the minivans as Honda but half the problems/complaints online. If DCX quality was as horrific as you state, this should never be the case or at least you'd think they'd be more even?
    You can't use "Facts" and "Consumer Reports" in the same sentence. see the Edmunds forum on Consumer Reports.

I only use CR for cold hard testing...braking, 0-60 times etc....They can't slant numbers like they do their ratings and write ups!
    I don't see too many Honda owners clocking and posting their 0-60 times on here. I don't see a "POST YOUR 0-60 TIMES HERE" thread?

However, I do see plenty of complaints about dismal MPG on here.

I was not the one that brought up 0-60 times you did, all I was saying was use the MPG too if your gonna use that. Why does the subject always get changed??? Not very much from DCX anywhere on here they just don't post much. All the same people posting the same stuff over and over again. The Ody driver are looking for 20/28 but come on thats not realistic. I saw a bunch of stuff on here when CR said the Ody got 12mpg in the city and they got 28 highway(saw none of that) But when I pointed out the DCX 3.8L got 11 city and 25 highway in the same tests it wasn't like sorry we only posted saome of the info!
    Glad my 2002 T&C LX with 3.3L V6 has an excellent compromise between performance and fuel economy. It can maintain or exceed the speed limit anywhere it has been driven while providing outstanding fuel economy. Fuel economy is much better than the 01 Odyssey EX owned and driven by a family member.

Well that said, I got 17-18mpg on my 3.3L Caravan. I'm well over 21 mpg now. I also drive more highway miles cause I like driving it SO much!!! So go figure. The best gas milage I ever got was 25.5mpg(all highway)In the DCX 2 mpg less than my recent San Diego trip to watch my BILLS get ripped. Had a great time LOL!
    And owners of newer DC minivans are very satisfied. The OVERALL gas mileage of my 2002 T&C LX 3.3L is now 22.5 MPG.
    Based on reading in the Town Hall, it looks like the Odyssey VCM is a Honda ruse to trick the EPA testing system. :sick: (Same can be said with DaimlerChrysler using it on the 5.7 Hemi V8 used in Chrysler 300C, Dodge Magnum, and Dodge Charger). :sick:
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    I'm not overly concerned with 0-60 times on minivans, but I prefer to buy the better performing vehicle even if everything else is equal. The Ody certainly feels stronger in every way, and probably having the greatest effect on it is the smoother and quieter drivetrain. You can take the somewhat thrashy DC engines vs the 3.5L Honda and guess which is going to feel significantly quicker simply because it's composed throughout the power band? I'm sure I drive the Ody a bit more aggresively than I would another minivan simply because it does the work more easily. I'm just used to driving a little more advanced drivetrains than what the DC vans bring to the table. Besides my trucks, the ODY is our only non-luxury brand vehicle we've owned in many years. Jumping into a DC minivan from a Lexus or Audi will certainly get your attention. The Ody isn't that far off though, the drivetrain is pretty good.
    DC minivans have included the nice luxury car feature of separately controlled temperature for driver and front passenger over a decade while the Odyssey just added it in 2005. DC minivans have also included a respectable sound system for over a decade while the poor quality of the Odyssey sound system is well known. DC minivans have also been much quieter than the Odyssey...like a luxury vehicle should be.
    Yes, the Odyssey has the most powerful engine but the Odyssey has lacked many luxury car features until very recently. ;)
    Jumping into a DC minivan from a Lexus or Audi will certainly get your attention. The Ody isn't that far off though, the drivetrain is pretty good.

I jump from a BMW to my DCX minivan every day.....doesn't get my attention, realizing one is a minivan and the other is a sports sedan. Having driven both Odys and GCs there's not that significant of drivetrain differences either, the biggest difference was price.
    Why does the subject always get changed???

You asked why I don't use all the information, I initally brought up 0-60 times because of comments on DCXs being "underpowered". Given all the Ody's technology etc... 1.4 secs and a few MPG more isn't all that impressive. If DCX wanted to close that gap, probably a 5 spd tranny would do it. On top of that, CR is redoing their mileage testing methods also....so they're re-evaluating their methods. Real world mileage according to Edmund people is all over the place for the Odyssey.

On top of that, I have concerns on VCM/Cylinder Deactivation from all manufacturers.....having 3 or 4 cylinders running less than the others? So you have half the wear on half you engine? What about engine compression after 75k miles? Maybe I'm sounding like my father complaining about the demise of distributors and point setting?
    If one can't appreciate the difference between a BMW and DC minivan drivetrain, I have no doubt they would notice little difference between an Ody and a GC. The fact one is a minivan and one is a sports sedan has nothing to do with drivetrain feel. If somethings noisy and thrashy, it's noisy and thrashy regardless of whether it's a minivan, sports sedan, or freightliner. It seems every one of your performance, features, etc. discussions ends up with the DC winning because of price anyway so buy the cheaper vehicle. Anyone that doesn't notice a difference between the two would certainly want to save a buck. Anyone concerned with performance and luxury might not be thinking as diligently with their wallet.
    And a person has to be joking to say the Odyssey powertrain isn't much different from a Lexus or Audi. :sick:
    The Odyssey interior noise level more resembles a Yugo than a Lexus. ;)
    Sorry but I didn't say I couldn't appreciate the difference between my BMW and Minivan, I do, but I realize they're totally different vehicles with different purposes. For their intended marketplace, they fit right in.

Having driven both minivan, the DCX is not thrashy or noisy, and actually, noise level on the DCX vans are quieter I believe? or rated the same per CR. We're talking the difference between a Pontiac vs. Chevy here...not a BMW vs. Yugo. The DCX vans have a nice sporty "gurgle" at idle and acceleration.

I'd personally would rather spend $20k on a minivan, not upwards of $40k for a minivan, then put that money towards a true luxury vehicle. But not everyone desires or needs two vehicles.
    The Odyssey interior noise level more resembles a Yugo than a Lexus.

For the record, I wrote my YUGO comment before seeing your's :)

I remember seeing postings on other Honda Odyssey chat site, before I purchased my DCX, of people sound proofing the previous generation of Odyssey. They were ripping out the carpets, adding insulation etc..... funny what people will do.
  • artgpoartgpo Member Posts: 483
    I know we have a separate area for posting gas mileage but an erroneous comment was made concerning the 2006 Odyssey's EPA rating. The ERA rating for the VCM engine is 20/28 which I believe to be the best of any minivan its size.

People jump on other people for voicing opinions but please do not misrepresent the facts when attacking those people.
    Are you talking noise level or powertrain performance? I'm not sure you get it. The Ody has a very smooth, silky engine much like an Audi or Lexus. I didn't say it was THE SAME as an Audi/Lexus I said it was much closer than the DC motors. I can appreciate the Honda 3.5L as being a well engineered, smooth, quiet, powerful motor. Can't say that for the DC, it's just noisier, slower, and less responsive. It's not terrible, it's just average.

Now, if you want to talk interior noise levels (i.e. wind/road noise), actually an Audi isn't the quietest vehicle on the planet anyway. I don't hear any offensive noise levels from the Ody. The motor is fairly muted even at WOT, the tires get a little noisy on certain concrete roads, and wind noise is pretty low. I'm sure someone can dig up some stats from the mags.

And I think mostly we're talking new vans here. I have no clue how noisy the old Ody's were as I didn't want one and didn't buy one. The '05 Ody is the first minivan I found with enough features/performance to get my $$.
    I don't believe DCX's 3.5L is that much better than the 3.8L for this vehicle. I also don't think the Ody's 3.5L is that great. 240lb-ft of torque for the 3.8L and Honda 3.5L. Horsepower is lower, but that is related to torque and engine speed. At most minivan driver's usable engine speeds (below 3k, maybe 4k rpm for "spirited driving) the Ody and 3.8L DCX motor have about the same power. Honda's acceleration advantage is the extra cog in the transmission.

DCX's 3.5L has 10 more lb-ft, but breathes better at high engine speeds (45hp) than the 3.8L. I had a Pacifica 3.5L for 12k miles and now the T&C w/ 3.8L and 9k miles. Very similar power <4krpm. And it recommends mid-grade fuel for that power rating compared to the 3.8L's 87 octane. So, how often are minivan drivers driving over 4000rpm to notice the power differences? My guess, <1% of the time for all drivers. So, peak horsepower comparisons are quite irrelevent for this discussion IMO.
    . The ERA rating for the VCM engine is 20/28 which I believe to be the best of any minivan its size.

I don't think anyone is disputing the EPA stated numbers are 20/28, but many Ody owners aren't getting close to these number. Same can be said of DCX's HEMI and all the hyped Hybrid vehicles too.

Technology can be beneficial but that's not always the case. Look at the Millions GM spent in Automating their plants in the 80s and 90s. Quality was still dependent on actual workers.
    I'd personally would rather spend $20k on a minivan, not upwards of $40k for a minivan, then put that money towards a true luxury vehicle. But not everyone desires or needs two vehicles.

Nice compare a wholesale price stripped SE Grand Caravan to the MSRP top of the line Touring(They aren't getting close to that!) It's more like 23K for the SXT and 27K for the EX on average. Better deals for both are out there but you gotta look! With the EX you get standard side airbags, VSC and 6 CD changer. The SXT has stow and go. Still the Ody has alot more room behind the third seat for storage and the 40/60 split folding rear seats.
    Technology can be beneficial but that's not always the case. Look at the Millions GM spent in Automating their plants in the 80s and 90s. Quality was still dependent on actual workers.

Some of GM's products have very high quaility. Buick for one! They have lots more problems than workers. Design, same model with deferant badging, High overhead, and over production of big SUV's. This list could go on for a long time. If you don't have a product that someone wants you are certainly in trouble!
    SXT also has trip computer, knee air bags, and some stand-alone optional equipment that is not availible on the Odyssey without accepting lot of other equipment.
    Real world pricing of 2 comparable vehicles:
    Odd EX: $ 28,206
    GC SXT: $ 24,400

That, my friends is a $ 3,806 difference. With the GC SXT there is a complete overhead console with outside temperature/compass and trip computer plus the very convenient Stow 'N Go. You can also get a power liftgate as a $400 option on the GC SXT which is NOT Available on the Odd EX.
    With the Odd EX you also get a removeable padded armrest with shoulder and seat belts for an 8th person in the 2nd row. ;)
    What always baffles me is...you have DCX selling at least 2 times the minivans as Honda but half the problems/complaints online. If DCX quality was as horrific as you state, this should never be the case or at least you'd think they'd be more even?

What baffles me is if you don't know how many DCX vs Honda owners spend time in forums or post. Most people never post then you have just a few that post 100's of posts, plus you have no idea who anyone is they could post under 50 names and make things look really bad! That makes this one of the most unscientific ways to tell waht's really going on!!! Ok so you got the 2005+ DCX forum with 1015 posts(This is just for people talking about there van)and you have 4496 on the 2005+ Odyssey page(not problem prices paid and any of that stuff) So the sales for DCX in the last year are 2.37 to 1 yet the 2005+ Odyssey has 4.4 times the amount of posts. Also look at this one DCX vs Ody 5264 DCX vs Sienna 25 posts. We get 25 posts in a day on this forum because of about 5 people who are habitual posters really dosen't give you a WIDE view of anything. So if you want to count posts that might be fun but it's far from being anything meaningful! The Ody is the most researched minivan number 11 overall. None of the DCX vans are in the top 50. So it leads me to believe that more Ody buyers spend time online. As for the fact that the DCX is a mature design and people wouldn't look here or other places for the information. I would be hard pressed to make a car purchase without at least getting a idea of the car I'm buying online!
    And a person has to be joking to say the Odyssey powertrain isn't much different from a Lexus or Audi.

I've never owner ethier of those vehicles but it's the nicest I ever owned! ;)

The Odyssey interior noise level more resembles a Yugo than a Lexus.

No it's not Lexus like but I have no wind noise and only some tire drone on really bad freeways. Mostly I have 3 kids (4YO twins and a 11 YO boy)and they would make a any car sound like the circus! Yesterday was the first time I drove the car by myself with noone else in it. My subie was getting new tires!!
    DCX Stow and Go has 60/40 third seat also, or are you splitting hairs and finding an additional contrived ODY feature?

Ody is 40/60 and DCX is 60/40, is that the difference in the third rows?
    Ody is 40/60 and DCX is 60/40, is that the difference in the third rows?

Previous to the 2005 the ody rear seat was not split! Just pointing that out since it is new!
  • masterpaul1masterpaul1 Member Posts: 421
    The sliding door has a plastic chain that could easily be broken off. Hondas, or Japanese cars are much better in quality, and reliability than American made cars

Actually, the plastic chain that you are refering to is not a chain at all. It houses all the wires for the power doors and helps to prevent the wires from being damaged from opening and closing the doors. As for the engine, I believe the engine block is steel, which is much stronger then an aluminum block engine, and the internal parts are aluminum. I looked at our engine last night and the rust is visible, which wasn't that much, but doesn't look bad either. :)
    As for the engine, I believe the engine block is steel, which is much stronger then an aluminum block engine, and the internal parts are aluminum. I looked at our engine last night and the rust is visible, which wasn't that much, but doesn't look bad either.

Ok here is the 3.8L info. Cast iron is heavier!

the 3.3/3.8L series features a traditional cast-iron block, aluminum head, overhead-valve design while also incorporating newer technologies such as sequential, multiple-port fuel injection (SMPI) and an integrated electronic ignition system supplanting the mechanical distributor, rotor and coil systems of the past.

But what is steel but mostly iron with some amounts different metals(alloys)mostly chrome and nickel. Of course there are different grades of steel some more weldable, less corrosive and more hardened. Iron has a higher carbon content I belive of more than 2% by wieght. BTW whats a little rust on a engine! You gonna be licking the block???
    Nice compare a wholesale price stripped SE Grand Caravan to the MSRP top of the line Touring(They aren't getting close to that!) It's more like 23K for the SXT and 27K for the EX on average. Better deals for both are out there but you gotta look! With the EX you get standard side airbags, VSC and 6 CD changer. The SXT has stow and go. Still the Ody has alot more room behind the third seat for storage and the 40/60 split folding rear seats.

What a mind reader you are! I didn't specify any makes or models, i was speaking generally about "minivans". But I did see a post where some Ody Touring owner was thrilled to not pay $41k, getting a deal at $37k something!! Woo Hoo!!!! At the price there are many luxury models you can buy in place of a minivan, including Acura's MDX!

The GC SE model now comes with folding 3rd row seating and second row storage standard. Folding 2nd row buckets are an option or 2nd row bench with integrated child seats.
    I think I just discovered a new feature on my 2005 GC SXT with power hatch! I was shopping and loaded up the back with packages. The packages were leaning against the back hatch and it wouldn't automatically open, preventing my packages from falling out!! Good thinking!

Also...we're getting 3 inches of the white fluffy stuff!! One trip to Sam's today and my white van is gray, making my power hatch indispensible!

Happy Thanksgiving all! (even you turkey Ody owners!)
This discussion has been closed.