Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Whoops! I knew that. My bad. Thanks for the correction.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• sweendogysweendogy Member Posts: 1,310
    your opinion is fine and I guess you are not the target audience for the car-Reviewers and sales numbers support the public likes what they are doing.

1) yep HP is something that advances if MPG stay the same or get better - CHECK-
    2) COUPE - yep thats something that others have - convertables as well- but some car companies do not play in these areas- they have a hard top convert as wel-
    3)transmissions - car companies do have issues with them for sure- remember the 03 TL and others
    4) more then you write is included including paddles - they also offered rear wheel steering on earlier models
    5) you forgot to mention the sports line they released, sure its on a small number of cars but its something

currently, you are one of a few who dont see the hybrid technology, the performance and the value in the brand.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    Ya, know I feel the same about the TL, nothing to draw me into showroom. No disrepect for any TL owners.

The G does have sedan, coupe, convertible and IPL. Yes the seven speed is reported to give some trouble, I don't have trouble with mine. If I remember, Honda went through a set of issues of it's own related to the tranny.

The M model has hybrid solution, hope it trickles down to the G.
  • billyperksiibillyperksii Member Posts: 198
    "currently, you are one of a few who dont see the hybrid technology, the performance and the value in the brand."
    No I don't, sorry.
    Please let us know the appreciating value in owning a G35 or any Infinit product or just plain simple any brand of car.
    The M model has hybrid solution, hope it trickles down to the G."
    So does this the Civic and the Accord.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    edited December 2011
    After 11 months with an Infiniti product, I have become a believer that they are producing cars that do warrant consideration especially if your other choice is a BMW. Of course, this Great Recession may be partially the cause of my "conversion." Despite the fact that I find the G too small (narrow), I believe it to be a bargain when compared to a 3 series. Max one of the G37X's out and it is, perhaps, $45K. Content the 3 as close as possible to the G and the price will be a lot higher.

BMW's are breathtakingly expensive to repair (and sometimes even maintain) after the 50,000 mile BMW bubble expires. The Infiniti we own -- FX35 -- seems to be pretty inexpensive to maintain, and the 7 speed transmission has been trouble free (and we are now at about 18K miles).

Everyone here is certainly entitled to not find anything attractive about a given brand or model within the brand -- and that is fine. However, if you have not recently taken an Infiniti (or any other car listed here on the masthead) out for a long test-drive, it seems unlikely that you can make a factual statement about the brand or specific model.

I know, for instance, that I have not driven a Lexus -- my opinion is that they are sofa's on wheels -- but that is only based on car magazine comments that I have read. I probably have my head up my nose in thinking that they are not "performance" cars. I plan to not opine any further on the brand since I know very little about them.

I really don't care if anyone test drives an Infiniti or an Acura -- I do care, somewhat, if a specific model is criticized but never driven. I participate in these boards to learn and to share experiences and opinions.

I do enjoy being regaled by owners' (or even car mavens who have tested so many cars it almost seems a career) stories about their experiences.

Keep 'em coming!

And. . .drive it like you live.

:shades:
    Like the above statement - I still don't understand your argument but I respect your opinion. Net net agrument weak opinion strong.
    The Civic or Accord does not put out 350 horsepower nor are they luxury vehicles.
    There are some cases where serendipity happens and being an opinionated poseur is being 100% correct.

Lexus' , at least some models, are sofas on wheels. I took an ES350 on two extended test drives. There obviously is a market for them as there are quite a few on the road. They are nice cars, beautifully crafted, reliabile and a ton of tech.

I, however, wanted more toward sporty aspirations. TL was too big, turning radius too big, not convinced of the value of SHAWD. G37 has neck snapping acceleration and fit me like a glove. I didn't even want to look at the TL 2012.

As you aptly put it, outfit a 335 like a G37 and you are at $50 large.

To each their own, everybody has their own priorities of what they want and/or dislike in a vehicle.
    OK guys, we've been doing a lot of bickering disagreeing on the board lately. Let's try something different. If you've got any kind of driving experience (whether via test drive or ownership) with one of the ELLPS cars share with the group. I'll go first. Go to the bathroom & set your DVR, this is going to be a decent sized post.

Acura TSX: As you all know, I own a 2010 Acura TSX with Technology Package. It's the 2.4 L 4 cylinder mated to a 5 - Speed Automatic transmission. I originally bought the car for my wife when we had 2 kids and were 2 years into leasing a 2007 BMW X3. After 2 years we already had 38,000 miles on it (and were only alloted 45,000 for 3 years). On the last day of cash for clunkers I bought the TSX using a $3500 credit.

I think the TSX is handsome. Not head turning gorgeous like a 911 Turbo or 458 Italia. I definitely don't think it's ugly.

I like the engine/transmission combination. The engine winds all the way up to 7000 RPM very smoothly. Transmission shifts are crisp. The transmission will hold a gear and not upshift at the redline. I love the thickly bolstered seats & the well crafted interior. It rides fantastic. Comfortable, yet far from isolated. Handling for a FWD car is very good.

My main gripes with the car are it's lifeless electric power steering and it's crummy, straight from an Accord brakes.

Infiniti G37X: My Uncle had one and he let me drive it. I took it on a really nice, 45 minute drive. I came away extremely impressed with this car. kdshapiro hit the nail right on the head when he said: G37 has neck snapping acceleration and fit me like a glove. This car's 326 horsepower make it a bona fide road rocket. Handling is truly amazing. Excellent balance. I got in the car and found pefect seating right away. After 5 minutes, it felt like it was MINE. The car feels like it is turning on an axis. If it had gotten an EPA estimated 2 mpg more, I'd have one sitting in my drivewy right now. It didn't qualify for the $3500 C4C rebate though.

Lexus IS 350: I drove one at a Lexus event when this body style came out in 2006. I happen to like the car's styling. The interior was well crafted and well thought out. Acceleration was blazingly quick. I thought the suspension was too isolated, the brakes were instant on and had no pedal feel to them at all. The back seat was tiny too (this coming from a guy who drives a Prelude).

BMW E90 3 series: I have extensively driven an E90 328xiA & E90 335xiA. The 328xiA was my Mom's car that she leased for 3 years. Even the heaviest E90 sedan (AWD & Automatic) with the 240 hp NA I6 is a blast to drive. Handling was unbelieveable. The engine is so smooth. Brakes are fantastic. Very progressive and linear. I'm madly in love with this car. It is everything people rave about and more.

I had a 335xiA as a loaner a few times. It's torque is seductive. Pulls like a small V8 rather than a turbo 6. Amazing car.

My biggest gripes with the 3 series is its cramped back seat, small trunk, and hefty price. I know it is a BMW and you get what you pay for. flightnurse, you happened to find a "perfect" driver's car sitting on a lot and got a helluva deal on it. My Mom's was an '08 328xiA with premium, cold weather, automatic, metallic paint, parking sensors, & manual sunshades (no sport, nav, or comfort access). It stickered for over $46,000. It is very easy for a 335 to get in the $50K range.

Questions? Comments?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Mark, I dont just blabber about a car and read some article in a magazine. I actually test drove the G35X for an extensive time. The salesperson actually gave me the keys and said have fun but be careful.
    I wanted to try another brand because my previous car was the 2003 TL Type S, the G just did not do it for me, I tried to force myself to like it but I just knew it would have been buyers remorse.
    Here are the deal breakers and I have said this many a times-
    1).Too cramp (mazda millennia interior size)
    2). Intrusive growl (could get annoying a long road trips)
    3). I just felt beat up after the test drive

I have nothing against the brand, maybe the next generation G will sway me but from what I seen with the new styling cues on the M, G coupe and FX-I think I will step on my accelerator when I go by an Infiniti dealership.
    Finally some substance. I agree the G could be a little cramped when compared to a TL or Buick- infact there have been complaints from bigger drivers that the cars seats are a problem. The growl is something that older folks have also complained about- the coupe does have a very intense growl when pushed in the city. The 07 and 08s sedans for sure also make sounds - this is something that can be heard when screeching from red light to red light bit not at 70mph on the highway- the newer g37 sedan has toned down the rear sound to make it more of a cruiser and to accommodate the older folks who complained. As I type Im getting ready for an 800 mile was coast tour which I'm dreading because we are not taking my g- we have to take my wifes cr-v because its roomier- the g is not a problem at all on long trips, I mean it's not a 89 covrvette - its a great highway cruiser when asked.

Styling is subjective so can't argue.
    The original IS300 was a great 1st entry into this segment. Razor sharp handling & excellent brakes. It's 215 horsepower I6 was outgunned by the BMW E46 328i (and then by the 330i) and it got not so great fuel economy (and this is when gas was cheap). Lexus owners complained about the "rough ride.". Lexus brought the car in to compete with BMW's E36, but the E46 was already on its way by the time the IS300 hit our shores. They brought brass knuckles to a gun fight.

They brought the 300 hp IS 350 (automatic only). Toyota Corporate V6. 0-60 in the mid 5s instead of the low 7s. Brakes that provided excellent stopping distance, but with not much pedal feel. Lexus was very high on their 300 hp number vs. 255 in BMW's recently released E90 330i.

I drove the Lexus IS350 back to back with a 330i at their event. The Lexus out accelerated the BMW, but just felt very artificial compared to the very athletic BMW.

The IS250 had no power.

The problem with the IS350 was that only a year after its release was sent packing by BMW's N54 twin turbo 300 hp I6.

I think Lexus is waiting to see the next 3 series to finalize the next IS. They might just hit one out this time.

Sween-Good luck on your road trip and dont forget the Roadside Assistance number. :)
    Nah, might only need it if one drives and Acura. :)
    It's a Honda no roadside needed.
  • tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    I wanted to try another brand because my previous car was the 2003 TL Type S, the G just did not do it for me, I tried to force myself to like it but I just knew it would have been buyers remorse.

When I was looking for a new 2005 ELLPS, I looked at the G35 along with the TL. The G35 was noticeably a bit narrow, but not a show stopper for me. I actually like a bit smaller cars. I thought the TL's interior was nicer. I drove the G35 and noticed the major power, along with a major growl. I didn't like the lack of refinement. The TL was smooth and quiet.

I then drove the G35 on a transition ramp between two freeways that you can take at about 55mph. There is a perpendicular concrete seam with a bit of elevation difference on this ramp, so going over it, the car jolts a bit and it is on a fast curve. On the TL, the car was steady over the bump. On the G35, the steering wheel jerked pretty hard and I really had to be holding it tight or it would have jerked out of my hand. Not so on the TL. Based upon that experience, the TL won. I just turned 115K on my TL today, and I've only had to replace a window actuator along with normal maintenance and an outside air temp gauge recall. No other mechanical issues.
    Unless the tranny goes.
    It's a 2011. We should be fine- but I do have roadside help if needed.
  • dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,164
    Hahahahahahahaha :D:D

I just got 328i wagon with manual. Picked it up two month ago in Munich and again yesterday in Spartanburg, SC Performance Center. So, unless I'm in the Matrix-like dream world, I can vouch personally that they make a non-M manual transmission car, even in least "cool" body type. :P

All it takes is go to a dealer and order it (yeah, the may not have one on their lot, but it does exist).

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    . . .and I've only had to replace a window actuator. . .

Would that have been the driver's window? Mine is starting to make some odd noises, and after having had to replace window regulators 7 times (that's right, 7) on my last car, I'm very tuned in to how the performance changes before the outright failure.

Either way, I may have one coming on the TSX.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • flightnurseflightnurse Member Posts: 2,217
    Honda dropped the Accord Hybrid since it didn''t get any better mileage and the cost was too high.....
    Ray when I build any 3 series currently the Auto is automatically chosen for me, was never that way even the 335is. Also there is no M Sport package for any 3 series (except for the M3.) Not that I'm not saying one can not be build, their website does not show manual 3 series (except for M3) or the M sport package. My 328i has the M sport package its the close's I'll get a M3 for a while.
    FOr some reason BMW's USA website defaults all cars to an Automatic, it has never done this before, the packages for the 3 series have been halved between the 11 MY to 12 MY. So i assumed BMW was just making the 3 series with limited packages to until the new 3 series comes out. I could have been wrong, or their website has a serious issue.
  • busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    I don't know why you can't find it, but I didn't have any problem finding the M Sport pkg on the BMW web site, in the build section, under "Options", when configuring a 328 coupe.

I'm sure it's available for convertibles as well.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    edited December 2011
    Copied directly from the Build on the web site -
    2012 328i coupe:

M Sport Package $2,800

For example...

And, since this is a 'sedan' forum -
    the 328i sedan:

M Sport Package $3,750

And an example of current [ new ] 3 inventory
    at my local dealer - a 335i:

ZM2
    M Sport PKG
    $2,800.00
    18" x 8.0" front & 18" x 8.5" rear star-spoke alloy wheels (style 193M)
    P225/40R18 front & P255/35R18 rear run-flat performance tires
    sport seats
    aerodynamic kit
    shadowline exterior trim
    anthracite headliner
    increased top speed limiter

And the dealer where I ordered mine has a 335i
    with a manual trans. in stock -
    confirmed by a picture on the web site:

Bodystyle 2 door Coupe
    Engine 3.0L I-6 cyl
    Transmission Manual 6 Speed
    Ext. Color Jet Black
    Int. Color Saddle Brown
    Stock Number B4500
    Vin WBAKG7C56CE263179
    2022 X3 M40i
  • dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,164
    edited December 2011
    Basically, auto is now no-cost option for those '12 non-sedan 3-series. In "options" tab, you just need to uncheck it, but you'll get no credit.

It's the last year of E9x platform. Now, my understanding is new F-platform 328 ans 528 sedans will be std. w/ 8-speed auto. Not sure, if manual will now be reserved for 335 and 535 only, or what the deal will be. Will have to wait to see.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    Would that have been the driver's window?

No, actually it was the passenger window, which doesn't get used very much. The window would stop and auto reverse part way up, for no reason. I would take a number of tries to get it closed.

Apparently that was a known problem with the TL.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    "Ray when I build any 3 series currently the Auto is automatically chosen for me, was never that way even the 335is. Also there is no M Sport package for any 3 series (except for the M3.) Not that I'm not saying one can not be build, their website does not show manual 3 series (except for M3) or the M sport package. My 328i has the M sport package its the close's I'll get a M3 for a while."

Then you're using a different web site than I am. Case in point, I just used the "Build Your Own" feature to configure a 2011 328i with a 6-Speed Manual, with Cold Weather Package, Convenience Package, M Sport Package, Premium 2 Package, and Harmon Kardon Audio; the MSRP came out to $45,500.

With the above said, BMW is no longer building the 2011 E90 model and is ramping up production of the 2012 F30 3-Series which will hit our shores in the next couple of months.
  • savethelandsavetheland Member Posts: 671
    All mainstream cars are pretty boring so I looked at premium sector. I can hardly call it luxury cars since any sub-prime mortgage holder can afford one, so if you are rich consider something different.

BMW 3-series - the best engineer car in segment. Comfortable, crisp, precise, good steering ans so on. As some say - fits as a glove. The only problem I had with it - unnaturally heavy steering at parking lot speeds, compact size and small trunk. It is a personal performance sedan, not luxurious but worth every penny. It is more expensive than other cars because of engineering effort went into its design.

CTS - pretty refined except of engine. Steering is the most balanced in the group, good handling and unlike Infinity - comfortable and is not cramped. Next choice it you do not want BMW.

Infinity G-series - I felt like I do not belong to interior - difficult to find comfortable position. Good handling, good transmission and engine and steering is very good also but ride is too harsh. I felt like beaten up after test drive. If you are going to commute every day - it is not for you - you will get tired soon. Unlike BMW it achieved good handling not because of superior engineering but because of making it harsh. It might be more reliable though than both CTS and BMW.

Buick Regal - steering is very light - like in Acura - but unlike Acura it is precise. Engine is week and interior is high quality but not luxurious. May be not as reliable as Acura though. But it is certainly better handler and has considerably better steering. Reliability might be a concern - it after all is a German car made by GM.

TSX - steering is numb, numb, numb. I felt scary because lack of any feedback from steering wheel. Engine is certainly better than in Buick. Ride is comfortable but does not feel as solid as in Buick. Might be reliable though but keep it mind troublesome transmission - Honda is famous for engines but have problematic transmissions.

MKZ - it is a Fusion. It feels like Fusion, looks like Fusion and has too many cheap bits in interior like Fusion. I did not insist in seriously testing it. I will wait to see new 2012 to make final judgement.

Audi A4 - it is superior to both TSX and Regal and I suspect new Fusion/MKZ too. Has to buy AWD version to really enjoy it. But reliability over years proved to be disastrous. As with all VWs I know that after warranty expires there will be a lot of very expensive repairs. No matter how I like it and I always liked it very much - it is not practical car for working people who have to make living by commuting to work every day. It may work if you lease until warranty expires. I wish I was a rich dude, but I am not - my money are hard earned. BTW I would prefer Audi to BMW.
    Disagree on the g. While its not Lexus vault like, it's a very good commuter car. I drive less than stellar roads and feel perfectly comfortable in it. I do agree it drives like the tires are nailed to the road.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    edited December 2011
    I agree with your opinion and assessment of the Infiniti as a commuter car. Although reliable, it (G37 Coupe) was uncomfortable for me, and its boy-racer sounding engine and hard ride were tiring on a daily high mileage basis.

(No offense to Infiniti enthusiats.)
    Again the new 4 door g37 (non-sport) has been tamed a bit due to old folks making comment on its engine noise. At highway speeds under no duress it's as quiet as my moms accord. The 2 door I cannot speak of. This class is both Lux and performance- if you are looking for an entry level lux car that is quiet go with the Es350 or Acura Tl. Cars that are well built but for the most part won't excite you on the onramps.
    No offense taken. Different strokes for different folks.
    Accord is actually quite noisy. Better idea is to compare it with Cadillac and BMW - direct competition. I found G to be not as civilized as CTS or BMW. It is more in muscle car category. I forgot to mention Mercedes and Lexus, but those are off my list. I drove Mercedes E-class before and felt it to be too quiet and refined - not for me. I suspect Lexus is similar. Both Mercedes and Lexus are probably for very old folks (even though I am not a young dude). I mean they are what Lincoln and Caddie used to be. Most likely along with Toyota they will take replace of Lincoln, Buick and Cadillac as preferred transportation for retirees.
    The e class should be more refined - its a level up. I think you are on o something with the g - it does sound like it has more grunt because it does then the others in the conversation. The cts is a nice rig when given the big engine, lets not forget the V class, the 335 is the standard for sure- but throwing dollars in the conversation the muscle car can go toe to toe- dispite the louder notice going from standstill to 60 in under 5.5. Think about all the ear plugs you can buy for 10k, or better yet just turn up the Bose- the black keys sound terrific during those on ramp bursts
    C-class and Lexus IS are too compact for me to consider. And besides IS like Corolla and VW Beetle is driven mostly by ladies. I mean I would ignore car-for-ladies factor it if I liked it but I do not. Therefore E class and Lexus ES. But I cannot force myself to seriously consider ES and E-class is out of price range anyway. IMO Infinity G is for young people. When I was younger I cared about performance more than about comfort. But still premium car at least must be comfortable.
    This class is not premium- its entry level - now if the criteria is lux, performance and price - hard to argue G vs any car here. Some are quieter, one is a better performer and few have the piece advantage
    edited December 2011
    I prefer the "quiet" of an Audi, E-Class or BMW 3 or 5-Series ;) .
    edited December 2011
    Thats fine I prefer performance and 10k (if looking at a 2011 335 comparison) . Btw good luck getting a 5 series or e class for 40k- again the title of the blog is entry level. - I would prefer an Austin Martin coupe as well if this wasnt entry level performance sedans forum.

. I would also prefer a g6 plane for trips to maimi over jet blue middle seat.
    edited December 2011
    My point was that I've had them and do like them (Infiniti and Acuras), but I prefer German over Japanese for overall driving experience.

(Sween, I agree with the obvious tone of your post that I've expressed more expensive rides than ELPS :D .)
    I also have caviar tastes but McDonald's bankroll (or as someone mentioned sub-prime holder status). I think you have to be careful thou- if you compare an a6 or 535 to a Infiniti g - I will come down on you hard. In a perfect world I would be retired by now at 35, but this whole subprime thing has gotten me sideways.

That being said your thought on Audi a4, BMW 3 or MB c class are always Welcome.
    I hear you on this economy. It has taken some of the wind out of my sail for my car enthusiasm.

I would compare a 535 to a G37 only to say that the latter has more bang for the buck.
    Interesting that you think the G sedan is for young people, why not look at the Buick Lucerne then.
    The 5 series has more room in the back over the G, so not too sure how you can compare them.
    My experience exactly -- so far, nothing beats the German car driving experience within the $40K - $55K price range. And, come to think of it my one and only Audi A8 (which was north of $55K by a five figure number) would be my preference over any Lexus, too.

My friend's 5 series came off lease. He looked at a new BMW (5 series, I presume); he seems to have the money to get what he wants (within reason), he got a new Genesis sedan (which I have sat in but not driven). I am not sure if he will get another Genesis next time, but so far he thinks it was a great value and at least a very good (if not great) car.

Although the exterior look is somewhat derivative, the interior is a great interpretation of lux from any country. The transmission has 8 cogs and he claims tons of power.

I think he said the lease turned out to be $299 per month (wow!)

Anyway MY point is to agree that, so far, the Germans make the best car if driving is of interest to you.
    Interesting that you talk about the Genesis, I travel for work a lot, and the only company I rent from is National, I have Emerald Club Executive Elite status with them, on my last rental with them in Indy I was able to get a Genesis, I was highly impressed with the car, it was quite, road well, very comfortable car, however the over all experience was just bland no personality to it at all, which is typical for an Asian car. I have seen the Genesis Spec R which would be a great car however the reviews continue to day, not sporty enough. Jan 3rd I'm back in Indy again and will try and get the Infiniti M37X.
    I am also interested in this genesis r spec and would love to drive one at some pt- price and power very interesting - if only they could add awd. While I agree with you that Germans make the best driver cars your pot shot at the Asians didnot go unnoticed - drive a 6speed g37 tell me it's bland experiance.
    I have to assume that AWD is in the Genesis pipeline. I suspect they need another year or two to refine their "house made" 8-spd transmission. From what I read it is a notch lower in refinement to the ones used by Audi and BMW.

BTW, is it true that Infiniti sources its 7-spd from Mercedes? And, is it true that the first year the 7-spd had some software problems but that they have since been corrected?

Our late 2010 build 2011 FX35 AWD has the 7-spd and it has presented zero problems and zero recalls in 18,000+ miles. The only thing I do notice about the FX35's "character" is that the engine makes coarser sounds than the Acura 3.7L engine, but this trait is really only evident at very high RPM's and/or when the accelerator is floored.

It should be improved by Infiniti, no doubt, as the Infiniti engine refinement is not quite up to Audi, BMW or even, Honda, er Acura smoooothness.
    edited December 2011
    To me it doesn't matter how the engine sounds at wot. The G37 will almost beat the 335 and is a rocket. For $45K if one stays away from the coupe models, you can get a fully loaded vehicle for a family of two is big enough for most occasions. (The occasions it's not big enough, neither is the Audi or Acura either)

A 335 will cost $50K+ for the same equipment level. Having said that I don't think I would necessarily buy a fully loaded 335, but there are those who compare feature to feature.