Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    edited March 2012
    Yes, it is a beauty KD. I've always loved the vert - wanted one since I was in college.
    edited March 2012
    "that isn't going to scratch that M3 itch, though.. "

No, it's missing about 100 hp...among other things.

It isn't intended as a replacement though, so all is well.

***Those offended by talk of Porsches and other sports cars please do not read any further***

My daughter turns 15 next month so we have been looking to pick up an inexpensive 3rd car anyways. I still want to replace my M with a Porsche, but until recently, I was pretty much limited to the 911 because we still need the backseat on weekends sometimes - usually not for 4 people but, I often used the M to shuttle the kids around.

Now that I have found another car with a backseat, I am free to look at 2 seater replacements for the M. I can get a 2009 Cayman S for about $20,000 less than a 2009 911 Carrera, so I'm even saving money.

It's a win-win. Even my wife agrees, so it must make sense. :blush:
  • sweendogysweendogy Posts: 1,147
    Congrats on the new rig
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,591
    The only reason I asked is because my '90 E30 325i had one.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

It was red too IIRC.
    It was red. Excellent memory. Good luck with it. Looks like it is in fantastic shape!

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,238
    Shhhhhhaaaaweeeeeeeettttt!

Love it.

Congrats!
  • flightnurseflightnurse 35K feetPosts: 1,637
    Congrats on the new car..

BTW, the Cayman S is a great car, I like them better then the 911
    Thanks Graphic and Flight!

Cayman S is seriously on the radar but I also remembered a conversation you (Flight) and I had recently. 2002+ Acura NSX. Mmmmm, tasty.
    Yes, the NSX is one of my secret desires, for me the 2002+ is the ones to get. There are plenty of aftermarket companies to help increase the HP on the engine. Driveabilty is excellent, and the car continues to turn heads today.
    renssils...your TL isn't bad. Your dealer is, however.

What are they talking about that your A/C is only covered for 12 months? That's false. I'd be reporting the back to Acura Customer Care and let them deal with the dealership. In the interim, I'd take it to another dealer for service.

BTW....the clock is smack dab in the middle of the center stack. Hard to miss!
    Did u test drive the car before buying it, the blind spots if as bad as you say, would have been an issue on a test drive. I find it interesting that people complain about issues very big issues one would have seen when they test drove the car, and when I say test drive, not the 5 minute ride the dealer takes you on. If people are serious about buying a car, then take the car for a drive to see if there are issues...
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,669
    Very true, and some dealers are more than willing to comply.

I remember a few years ago a Volvo dealer was willing to give me a car for the weekend to see how I liked it.

Some issues are easier to forgive during a test drive; even an extended one. I wish I had more headroom. I didn't grow...and the car didn't get smaller, but I now wish my head didn't brush up against the headliner. My next car will have more headroom...like my kids...sometimes the lessons are painful before they are learned :)
    Ivan, my partner and I were in the market for a SUV, he is real big on reading consumer reports (CR), so after checking CR we went to the Acrua dealer. After talking to the salesmen, he handed us the keys to a MDX, and told us to take for a drive. When I quizzed him on what he meant by drive, his reply was, we close at 9. We hoped in the MDX and off we went, we were gone for about an hour (or two), we drove surface street, highway (rush hour) played with the nav system, we got a good sense of the vehicle, we ended up buying one a week later. We knew more about the MDX after that drive then any other SUV we drove, I remember the MB dealer telling us, we don't like to put a lot of "useless" miles on our vehicles, so we only drive about 15 minutes or so, no problem, turned the ML350 around and headed back for the dealer.

I really believe if the dealership understands their target audience then they will allow people to take a longer drive in the car.
    i agree i think its more dealership then specific car company-- for the G I bought the dealer actually came to my home and we test drove a car around my town for almost 2 hrs -- I was able to take it on the highway and do the local stops I would usually do. Great way to buy a car-
    I guess everyone here is waiting to hear what I think of my new 328xi. You guys are a tough crowd, so I hope I can deliver. I also know some of you have read my story on "Real World Trade In Values" & "Stories From The Sales Frontlines," so I'll try an tailor to the enthusiasts here comparing it to my (former) TSX and my all time (personal benchmark) 2001 Prelude Type SH.

There was nothing wrong with my TSX except for the fact that I inherited it from my wife. I bought it on 8/29/09 on the last day of Cash 4 Clunkers to replace 2 BMWs. My 1990 E30 325i Coupe failed project car that my trusted mechanic declared dead. We were also leasing a 2007 X3 that had 38,000 miles after 2 years. We were allowed 45,000 for the total 3 years. So I bought the TSX with the intention of it being my wife's daily driver that I'd get some seat time in on the weekends.

When we were blessed with having our 3rd child, we needed a bigger vehicle with the ability to handle New England winters, haul kids' stuff, and hold at least 3 (our vey are they big) child safety seats. We bought a 2011 Pilot. Given the fact that the TSX was less than 2 years old at the time I didn't want to take a steep depreciation hit, so I kept it, made the Pilot my wife's daily driver, & put my beloved Prelude into semi retirement.

So on Thursday night, I traded in my TSX for a 2011 BMW 328xi.

So far I'm completely blown out of the water about how well this car drives. I hate to sound like I've been reading too much Car & Driver, but the steering is perfectly weighted (nice & heavy, how it should be) & telepathic.

I love the chassis' balance. Driving a car with RWD just feels very natural. The inline 6 is just so amazingly smooth. The brakes are strong. Suspension tuning is wonderful. Firm & solid, but nowhere near uncomfortable.

My Acura was a nice car. Excellent fit & finish. The 2.4L 4 banger loves to rev. The transmission is crisp and doesn't struggle keeping the engine in its sweet spot. The suspension is tuned to allow road feel. It's good, until I drove the 3er.

The electric power steering is artificial and lifeless. The brakes are weak.

edited March 2012

edited March 2012
    Brad I know we have had battles in the past over the tsx- so given the wide performance gap between the BMW (the standard) and the Acura - does it truly belong in this group?
    edited March 2012
    Congrats NYC, it sounds like a great car.

I've never driven an xi but from what you say, it sounds like it's not much different from the RWD 3er - probably don't really notice the difference day to day.
    The hosts won't take it down, no matter how much you scream. I think the Acura for this group should be the TL/SH AWD. I really don't think any car in this class actually "competes" with the BMW. I'm that impressed. However, there are many who don't put the premium on driving dynamics that those of us here do.

Thank-you so much fedlawman. I appreciate it. I'll readily admit that my driving skills are merely average, especially compared to you, Flightnurse, & Roadburner. As far as I'm concerned my car is RWD.

The biggest difference I notice between my 328 & my Prelude is weight. My Prelude only weighs a little more than 3000 lbs, the BMW a lot more. The other thing I notice is that my Prelude's cable actuated throttle is much more linear & responsive.

Thanks NYC, but I'm afraid you might assume too much. We all like to think we're good drivers, but I doubt if my skills are as impressive as you think.

I totally agree with you on throttles. I've never met a FBW throttle I liked. Combined with a turbo (yes, even the 335i quick spooler), it's even worse - like a rubber band between your foot and the engine.

I'll choose a cable every time.

I can't wait to see pictures of your new ride!

v/r
    Fair enuf- no rant here. Enjoy
    nyc....big congrats. As Fedlawman said, we're waiting for pics. Have fun!
    edited March 2012
    Fed, every car that is FBW throttle can be turned to your liking, that is one of the nice things about OBDII data port, get the software to allow you to adjust the FBW and presto... I plan on doing that with the 2011 soon.

FN
    NYC, what I find interesting is when people get behind the wheel of a BMW and have time to drive it, they get it.

Last week I was in Austin for South-by-southwest, their big music and tech festival, I was out of the loop and was looking forward to hearing about your car when I got back, however now I'm back on Long Guyland I love hearing how you are gushing over the car.. Once again Congrats...

FN
    I may get to put that to the test one day if I ever buy a car built after 1998. It's not looking good right now.
    Which radar detector do you guys use? Fedlawman & Roadburner, I peg you guys as V1 users.

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,333
    I don't use one.

The 135 came with a built-in one intalled by the PO. I can't remember the name of it off the top of my head. I know it was expensive. But the damned thing doesn't work. The lights flash and it beeps when I start the car, but that's it. No signals when radar is around. I even emailed the company to ask about it, but they never replied.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country