Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Abacomike.....appreciate your inputs. I was actually considering an E350 coupe last year before I pulled the trigger on the 335i coupe. I followed your posts fairly regularly over on the MB boards. Yoru input over there was quite useful.

While I didnt't find the Benzes to be compelling enough for my serious consideration, your knowledge of them was quite useful.

Needless to say, I prefered the interior of my BMW over the E350 coupe.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • flightnurseflightnurse Member Posts: 2,217
    Sweeny not too sure why you have have a hard time understanding..

The TDI engine has been around for a while, even though it is in a NEW body style, the data from the current Jetta and last Gen Passt still can be used to compare. In fact the current Passt weights less and has better CD then last Gen passt so the current car would get better mileage. Not too sure why this is tough for you to understand.
  • dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    That's not entirely accurate. TDI trade mark has been around for years, but the current engine is quite new. Until 2009 or so VAG was using completely different technology on their diesels, based on pump-injection device. It was a 4-cylinder 1.9 l - crude, noisy, but very stout and durable. Their current TDI is 2.0 l uses common rail technology, more modern indeed, but its durability is not as impressive. It is also more expensive to maintain.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• sweendogysweendogy Member Posts: 1,310
    Thx you Dino- Flight my question and response was on the new 2012 which i mentioned a couple of times.
  • greg128greg128 Member Posts: 529
    edited April 2012
    AC compressors that can't last 40K.

Oh you mean Honda CRV AC compressors
  • greg128greg128 Member Posts: 529
    automatic transmissions that can't go 70K without being rebuilt

Oh, you mean Honda Odyssey transmissions
  • abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    Thanks! BMW's manufacture great cars. I just had a very bad experience with 2-2008 535i's. So I gave up on BMW. It was electrical issues on 2 brand new535i's that had the same problems. The 3 series are great cars. Enjoy!

2021 Genesis G90

Mercedes makes good ones, too. You've found a line you know and enjoy. Stop by here from time-to-time. Would like to read some of your insights.
    :)
    After retiring from Public and Private School Administration, I moved to Florida to take care of my ailing parents. I got a job selling Lexus and then manager of an Infiniti Store. I have found that Mercedes manufactures, designs and engineers the most trouble-free sedans in both their C and E class lines. I've owned 7 E Class Sedans and have never, ever had any of them in to the service department for repairs, issues, or anything, except oil changes.

I doubt it is just "luck". Not after experiencing BMW 5 series issues with two identical cars with identical electrical issues, both manufactures in Germany and shipped here in the same year, 2008.

I found that Infiniti is most closely alligned with BMW in terms of ride and handling and power along with Audi. Lexus seems to be in a class by itself, as is Mercedes. I do not compare Mercedes to BMW, Audi or Infiniti due to the ride and handling differences.

Finally, Mercedes E Class Sedans and Coupes are equipped with a 302 horsepower powerplant and fuel economy over 30 mpg hwy.

In summary, Audi, BMW, Lexus, Mercedes and Infiniti manufacture outstanding vehicles. Each one is just a little different from the other - enough so that they attract a large segment of the driving public. The only think BMW has over the other brands in this category is free total maintenance which saves the driver about 300-600 dollars a year, depending upon when a car is due for brakes, etc. Otherwise, I rate the entire segment mentioned above as outstanding value for the dollar.

2021 Genesis G90

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,428
    Thanks for posting your insights here. I very much appreciate it. Have you checked out the Stories From The Sales Frontlines thread here? We'd love to hear some of your sales stories over there.

What do you think of the new C250 & C350 and the outgoing C300 (which they still sell with 4Matic here in the northeast)?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

I spoke with Mercedes, and they told me that they are trying their best to increase mpg's across the line as they will not meet federal mandates in 2 years if they don't start now.

They are phasing out the C300 (4 matic is sold down here only, as you know, so it is almost impossible to get a C300 down here in FL) and increasing the lines mpg's with the C250 and the higher horsepower, higher fuel efficient C350.

Also, very shortly they will be expanding their "engine shut down at stops for longer than 30- secs" which they claim will increase mpg's by 20% throughout their line. When you stop for more than a few seconds at a light, the engine shuts down automatically. It starts up immediately when the accelerator is depressed. Much like those propane golf carts in the mountains.

Mercedes missed the boat by not coming out with a diesel hybrid, in my opinion.

And thanks, I will check out the Sales Frontlines Thread. I sold new cars and managed two dealerships, and you wouldn't believe the stories I have. I began writing them down as I want to write a book about my experiences.

thanks again

2021 Genesis G90

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited April 2012
    AC compressors that can't last 40K.

Oh you mean Honda CRV AC compressors

I don't know about that.... my 2003 Accord had 65,000 miles and 50 months of age on it when I sold it and I had spent $0.00 on the A/C and it still blew cold. The Neon cost me about a thousand dollars thanks to burned belts in addition to the compressor blowing, it seized on the belt and burned it causing ancilliary damages. This was at literally 36,100 miles or so. Just in time to be denied warranty claim.

Honda 1, Chrysler 0.
    Audi 1, Chrysler 0.
    Toyota 1, Chyrsler 0

No matter what I or my family buys, I can't have as many failures as the Dodge. If I added up all the costs and numbers of repairs for 3 or 4 Toyotas, 2 Hondas, and 1 Audi, it still doesn't add up to the cost per mile of a single Chrysler in repairs.

Sorry.... bankrupt twice..bailed out twice..... Strike 3 and your out I hope!
    My families vehicles seem to never have the problems Chryslers do.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • billyperksiibillyperksii Member Posts: 198
    My wife's 2004 Accord has 130K on it with no major issues-
    1). Window Regulator
    2). Changed the drive belt at around 115k
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    I finally picked up my new 3-series convertible...

Friday in Sacramento

Saturday on the coast

Sunday in the garage
    Awesome! I love it & your 911! Congrats!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Fed.....love the pics. Love your family of cars even more!
    :)
    Best pick is the one of the bull-
    Infact edmunds should have a funny pix section blog - or a general pix blog - post a pix with uour car maybe at a landmark of some sort- my camry climbed mt Washington - or my Porsche went to the opera- could be fun and put some life into the site.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    I don't see any reason we couldn't do that! We can't make a blog, but we could have a discussion on the Auto News board. Feel free to start one if you've got a pic to kick it off.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I like it. Sort of like all the cans of Spam pics on the top of Denali or the Eiffel Tower. :shades:
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    That picture looks an awful lot like the Greenhaven/Pocket area of Sacramento.

Am I right?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    Sorry, I'm not too familiar with Sacramento. The town is called Fair Oaks.
    Flightnurse made a comment to me a few weeks back about me getting to see what my 328xi's AWD system can do in the rain. Now I've always really questioned AWD's effectiveness in the rain, thinking of it as more of a useful tool for snow traction. Unless BMW's XDrive is so transparent that I don't know how well it is working. Kind of similar to my Prelude's ATTS. I really didn;t know how good it was until I drove my TSX around some of the same tight corners and the front tires were fighting the stability control whereas my Prelude pulled around the corner.

One of the benefits to having to be at work at 7:30 AM (6 days a week) is there aren't too many cars on the road when I leave my house at 6:30 AM. It started pouring early this AM (my 3 year old woke up with a 102 fever and a stomach virus well before 5), so the roads were saturated with lots of nice puddles in addition to being slick. I put my 328xi through the paces on my way to I 95. Only a few times when I had the transmission in DS was I able to break traction only to have the stability control tuck me back into place. So I don't know how the AWD performed. Maybe some of you with the 335xi or sween's G35X can comment how the AWD works in the rain.

I can tell you that driving down I 95 in the torrential rain, my 328xi was sure footed and rock solid. I looked down at my speedo and saw I was going 80 without breaking a sweat.

In the dry, gorgeous, spring weather we've been having, I've been able to hit the magical triple digit mark during passing maneuvers. Unless you are a torque junkie (not that there's anything wrong with that), my 230 hp is just perfect for public road consumption.

5 1/2 weeks and over 2300 miles. As you can tell, I'm one happy BMW driver!

edited May 2012
    My car in the rain- when new great- new brakes, tires and new wipers - rock solid as NYC said of his new 3. Now the 07 has 30k miles- brakes are 8k old, original tires and newer cheepo wipers - not great- I'm very careful in the rain when around others so no real troubles but i know the limits of what i can and should do. Raining this am, 6 am - private road, I gave the g a little toss into a turn with some gas, dsc off I was able to wiggle the back loose. - pretty cool but again something I would not do around other cars.
    You made an excellent point sween. Tires! I forgot to mention tires! The single most important thing when it comes to traction. My Continental RFTs only have 2300 miles on them.

Rft - would like to know how they grip at 30k
    Stick around (no pun intended) & you'll find out in about 17 months.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,542
    What kind of mileage are you getting on the 328 so far? Just curious.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

I'm getting between 20 & 21.5 right now. My engine is still green & I seriously have a hard time keeping it under 80 mph on the highway. This week I'm really trying to take it easy. Set the cruise between 60 & 65 when I can, shut the car off at long lights (says to do this in the manual). I'll report back in a few days.

Some of the 335 guys have been reporting better mileage figures because even though their cars are more powerful, that power moves the weight of the car easier.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,941
    I've gotten as low as 23 (well, OK, was much lower than that during my track days) and as high as 26 in the 135 thus far.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Q....not tracking my car, but my MPG has settled in the same range, although I'm closer to 22MPG in town. Probably a low of 20 MPG ate one point, but that included nothing but driving in congested city traffic.

Got 30 MPG once on all interstate over Easter. But, that's with cruise on 70 and no traffic.

Usually, I'm right around 26-27 MPG with interstate driving. Who needs a 4 cyl?
  • billyperksiibillyperksii Member Posts: 198
    People who cannot afford a six.
    what's going on with this string of replied to names? Annoying!

anyway, we stopped at the BMW dealer saturday (next building over to the Acura dealer where we drove the RDX), and there was a nice 128 on the apron out front. Medium blue (deep sea blue? something like that) that I had never seen before, with tan interior. Must have been relatively base, since the sticker was only 37k!

• dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    "Usually, I'm right around 26-27 MPG with interstate driving. Who needs a 4 cyl? "

People who want to get 36-37 mpg. ;)
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    Wow [ list of 10 respondees ? ]
    My I6 turbo is averaging 23.5.
    - Ray
    NOT driving for maxumim MPG.....
    2022 X3 M40i
    Deep Sea Blue is absolutely GORGEOUS!

I averaged 21.3 mpg on my last fill up.

edited May 2012
    One other thing, the MPG computer in the BMW is really accurate. It's usually within + or - .1 MPG of my manual calculations.

ray.....I never drive as if I'm trying to maximize MPG.

Given the MPG I'm getting plus the muscle car acceleration my 3 offers, I'm real happy.
    I've actually noticed that too. The MPG on the trip computer is very accurate. On my former TSX, the trip computer was always more generous than my actual mileage (same with my wife's Pilot).

Is on everybody's mind. I'm sure most of you guys are the car gurus of your circle of family, friends, co-workers... like I am. We all drive performance oriented vehicles. People used to say: "Wow, that thing must be a rocket" or "How's it drive?" Now people are so obsessed with gas prices, the first words out of their mouth are: "Is it good on gas?" or "What kind of gas mileage do you get?"

Agree - $4 bux a gallon will do that
    335 m pack for 2011 was that bundled with the performance pack? If not can you add the PP to existing cars thru the dealer / if so cost?
    M package is seperate from performance package. One does not include the other. Performance Package is only available via the dealer. But, I've never asked any independent shop if they could do it.
    I have 9K miles on my 335i xDrive. Through one Fall, one Winter, and now one Spring, I really haven't noticed xDrive intervene once. And, I'm constantly flinging my car around in the wet, and none too slow either.

I consider that a good thing that I don't notice it.

I think I only had SH AWD in my previous TL intervene twice. Both times it was wet. Both times I was pushing the limits.

While I'm still not a fan of RFTs, the current ones (Continental) are worlds better than the ones on the '06 330i (Bridgestone).
    I think in my Volvo, the performance pack upgrade would involve switching to a bigger squirrel for the treadmill.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,941
    Or trading for the T5 you should have bought in the first place. :P

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

No turbos for the kid. she'll be enough of a lead foot most likely when she is soloing (they all are!). So better off in a car where if you want speed, you need to work for it!

now, when I replace it with something for myself? different story!

the volvo though is not a speed demon, but it does cruise along just fine.

my 2011 I'm getting 22MPG combined, my 05 I'm getting 22 combined also. Now on the freeway, my 05 gets 29. Now remember that the ZPH cars have a close ratio 6 spd tranny and lower read gears. I usually set the cruise at about 75. I haven't taken the 2011 on a freeway trip yet, heck I only have 4K miles on it too.
    Ok so last weekend we test drove two 335d's, both 2011, one was new, one was a CPO, the CPO had 7K miles on it. The CPO was fully loaded, the new one mildly optioned.

First off, WOW, it has been a while since I have had 400+ Lbs of torque. I can see having to replace the rear tires often on it. The 335d drives like a typical 3 series, sure footed, solid feel, vault like. The CPO had the sport package, so the rear tires are wider then the fronts. Over all very impressive, both cars drive well, of course the non sport packaged car road a little smoother, but nothing to deter us from not getting it.

Over all, very impressive, the MPG is better then my 2011, not too sure if the added price is worth the mpg difference.

Now on a side note, when we came back from the last test drive there was a couple looking at my 2011 (thinking it was for sale.) It seems the guy been looking for a 328i with the M Sport Package with a manuel and he can't find one.

Now if BMW would bring the 3.5l d in the 5 series, then we would have been sold on the car.
    328 m pack with the manual- very select car in sedan form.
    Well, after driving 340.6 miles using just over 15.5 gallons of Premium I averaged just over 21.9 mpg. This is using the cruise a lot to keep the car at 60 - 65 (feels like its crawling), and shutting the car off at long lights.

Tomorrow AM it will be back to driving the BMW like I only have it for another 28 1/2 months:)