Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey vs Dodge/Chrysler minivans

Comments

• macakavamacakava Member Posts: 775
    Aren't you more likely to get slant eyes buying a Honda? Sorry but with the new Sedonna on the market, with all the latest features including the most HP, isn't it the latest and greatest?? For Quality between Hyundai and Honda it's probably a wash.

Since both the Ody and Sedona are made in USA, the eyes are no longer slanted!! The workers are like you with straight eyes. If that is what you mean :0).

Back to the Sedona: There is nothing new or innovative about it or in it to write home about. It is just another wannabe as some reports have said.
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    LOOK at the headlights of the Odyssey (and Sienna) that look like slanted eyes. ;)

"Round Eyes" (Round Headlights) have not been popular on any vehicle for many years. :blush: Some vehicle headlights just don't have the extreme appearance of the Odd and Sienna. :sick:
  • artgpoartgpo Member Posts: 483
    I had occasion to rent a new Town and Country from Dollar. I took this van on a 350 mile round trip today. As soon as I stepped into this van last night I could see immediate, glaring differences between it and my 2006 Odyssey. The ride, comfort, fit and finish are not even close to the Honda. You can all protest all you want by saying how much CHEAPER the DCX van is and you would be 100% correct. It is CHEAP. It feels and drives cheap. It is not solid nor does it have the acceleration of the Odyssey. Yes, it does not rattle or squeak but it feels cheap, right down to the cheap looking Stow and Go cover panels.

Buy cheap get cheap.

If I thought the Odyssey was worse I would say so.
  • socalawdsocalawd Member Posts: 542
    MANY Thousands LESS than an Ody, ohh you might not get stability control or side windows that roll down, but you'd get Stow N Go seating, rear windows that open, power doors and hatch, equal gas mileage and braking. You'd also get free maintainance, extended warranty.....ohh you wouldn't get the recall and multiple issues such as wind noise, vibration of VCM etc...and the many numerous problems constantly posted in the Honda problem areas.

Oh just be happy your not sitting in the stow and go. Go sit in a Ody second row and then a DCX van with stow and go. The DCX van has had a recall and will probably have one for the airbag sensors. They probably use the same vendor but DCX is hopeing to avoid replaceing them! They usually have to be forced to recall! Read all the reviews of the DCX vans they will tell you how unrefined they are, I know I owned many. It's not like the Honda seats aren't easy to put down or remove, I hear the second row of the DCX isn't so easy to use! I haven't put it down myself! I have 7K on my Honda with none of the issues dennis says I should have! So who do you believe someone who owns it or someone who bashes it???
  • dennisctcdennisctc Member Posts: 1,168
    Back to the Sedona: There is nothing new or innovative about it or in it to write home about. It is just another wannabe as some reports have said.

Wasn't Sedonna the first Minivan with shifter on center console...long before Toyota and Honda? Now they have the most powerful engine in it's class, and all the high tech gizmos like stability control etc.. all for thousands less than Honda/Toyota.

I'd say that's innovative.
    Oh just be happy your not sitting in the stow and go. Go sit in a Ody second row and then a DCX van with stow and go.

I have, and friends of mine have been in 4-5 hour trips to Chicago/Toronto in them, and find the seat quite comfortable, fully adjustable...no complaints. Keep in mind the seats aren't thickly padded due to use of higher cost, denser "space foam". It provides a firmer seat that conforms more to your body, as in German cars. The only annoying thing about the seats is that the head restraints need to be adjusted once removed from storage to protect passengers. Of course, this should be done by all passengers in any automobile before driving.

They usually have to be forced to recall! No real basis in fact here, just your opinion, and actually if you look at total number of recalls, you'd probably find more recalls for DCX than Honda over the years. Maybe Honda needs to be forced to recall more?

It's not like the Honda seats aren't easy to put down or remove, I hear the second row of the DCX isn't so easy to use! I haven't put it down myself!

Put down? Do Honda's middle seat fold flat like Nissan's?? "I've heard" the Honda seats weigh a ton and are a real pain to remove and store, ALTHOUGH, I haven't removed them myself!

Some Honda owners are very lucky, especially 2005 owners if they haven't been effected by the recalls, or had the numerous issues on this forum and others!
    I drove my 2006 Odyssey today after spending five hours + in a T & C yesterday. You can talk about Stow and Go and how little you pay for a CDX van, blah, blah. Bottom line: the DCX van is a cheap, just barely average vehicle. Say what you want about the Honda but it is solid, quiet and rides about 200% better. The person I was with, not a minivan owner nor a participant in this forum, shared my opinion. His remark was "Boy, this is a noisy piece of c**p".

I wonder how many of you DCX flacks have actually spent any amount of time in a 2006 Odyssey? Do as I did and spend a day in the model you are knocking then come on here with your BOLD type declaring how the DCX is the greatest.

THE HONDA ODYSSEY IS THE BEST MINIVAN AVAILABLE FOR SALE IN THE U.S. AS OF TODAY.
  • kfdmedkfdmed Member Posts: 130
    I disagree with everything you posted but will take issue with just one. What is cheap about the stow and go cover panels. They are rock solid. I am 6'3 230 lbs and when I step on them there is no give or any thing that makes them feel cheap.
    The Odyssey is the most overpriced, ugly, unreliable minivan ever.
  • marine2marine2 Member Posts: 1,155
    My Sister called me yesterday and said she bought a 2006 Chrysler minivan. She spent a week driving pretty much all of them but the Kia. Said for the money, the Chrysler was a better buy. Only trouble is, she bought a black one with black and gray interior. Don't think I'd like that. She got her's for about eleven hundred dollars less than what my Dodge GC costs and it had a higher sticker price, which didn't make me to happy.
    The first two items are your opinion. Care to back up the last item with fact or would you rather not confuse fact with opinion?
    I think the latter is opinion also. You can look at CR surveys or look at the numbers of posts on the problem boards on Edmunds or others sources. But I would say the are equally reliable minivans. It is my opinion that the Odyssey is overpriced for the content. As for the looks it may not be ugly but it is like all Honda/Acura vehicles ... a bland, generic appliance on wheels devoid of any style. That sure cant be said of Daimler/Chrysler vehicles from Mercedes/Chrysler/Dodge. I will leave out Jeep ... those are ugly.
    Problems posted in Edmund's Town Hall by owners of the Odyssey and DC minivans support the last fact that the Odyssey has had more problems per minivan than DC minivans have had since the 1999 Odyssey arrived. :P
  • fljoslinfljoslin Member Posts: 237
    MANY Thousands LESS than an Ody, ohh you might not get stability control or side windows that roll down,

Obviously I made this post tongue in cheek because I know that many of those options are not available on the T&C. By the way, the side windows that roll down are awesome. Thanks to Toyota for bringing that feature into play.
    What I was really looking for was a dollar value on the closest vehicle that you could get to the Honda EX-L from Chrysler.
    How much have people actually paid for such a vehicle? Then you would have to add to that for the more powerful engine, the 5 speed auto, stability control and I am not even going to talke about reliability or resale value of the Honda. If you go down this path, I don'y think that the prices are that different.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Problems posted in Edmund's Town Hall by owners of the Odyssey and DC minivans support the last fact that the Odyssey has had more problems per minivan than DC minivans have had since the 1999 Odyssey arrived.

Number of posters mean nothing. How many posts in there were of actual problems, by different owners, an equal ratio of DCX vs Honda (based on sales), and the like? You can't get this information by counting posts, b/c many posts are repeated (kind of like this one, which has been seen here before), many offer solutions, and some are even praise reports or updates about their previous problem.

People like JD Power and Consumer Reports DO such samples about reliability, taking a fair number of each, and reporting 'problems per vehicle' not 'problems per forum' as you say.

I look around at the number of posters that are common here, and common in problem forums. In about 100 posts, I see around a dozen different posters. By your logic, if a dozen posters are found in 100 posts, than they must have 100 problems between them, but we all (Hopefully) know this isn't the case.

Now, that we have talked about other forums, let's come back to this one.
    Reliability and resale values are trending down for the Ody while the Chrysler/Dodge vans with stow and go are holding there resale value better these days.
    Reliability and resale values are trending down for the Ody while the Chrysler/Dodge vans with stow and go are holding there resale value better these days.

Resale values are trending down, but how much? I figure it is probably due in part to the increased capacity of the Alabama plant, now, putting more vans on the market. When these (1999-2004) vans first came out, they were being made at a rate of 60,000 cars per year; by 2003 that number was up to 120,000 per year. I don't know what the current numbers are, but they appear to be much closer to matching consumer demand than they were once able to do.

Back in 2000, we waited 3 months for our Granite Green EX Ody to come in. We traded it in in October on my new Accord, and got $13,500 for it (paid $27,000 new)5 and a half years later. Resale appears to be holding just fine, IMO. If it is falling, it is finally falling to reasonable, while still much higher-than-average levels.

As for DCX value, they had nowhere to go but up, and while resale for stow-and-go vans is up, I am willing to bet that the resale value equation will hurt the pre-stow-and-go vans even more, because of their total lack of in-floor seat storage.
    Did you pay sticker for your new accord? Kelley blue book trade in for a EX with 60k is just under 10K. If they discounted the accord to say 1K over invoice I would say you got quite the deal.
    No, got it for 1200 under MSRP *22,600* (EX 4-cyl AUTO)...it was negotiated seperately from the van...we didn't mention our interest in trading the van until after the new car deal was closed
    Your Honda dealer is more concerned with repeat Honda buyers than Ken Garff Honda of Salt Lake City.
    My friend wanted to trade in a 2002 Accord on a 2005 Accord but the dealer would not give him near book so he went to Mark Miller Toyota where he got a better trade-in and now drives a 2005 Toyota Camry LE. ;) He feels he got a better car for less money. ;)
  • hangaralf1hangaralf1 Member Posts: 107
    i have a 99 ody - that's supposed to establish my credibility as a valid minivan owner/driver

i have one thing to say about DCX vans - solid rear axle wit hleaf springs - this is the 21st century, what the hell is a solid rear axle (not to mention leaf springs) doing on a minivan?

I love my ody - yes, i have had to replace the transmission, but it cost me not a penny.

by the way - mazda was the first to put "roll-down" windows in the sliding doors of their minivan back in 99 (i think it was 99) - at the time, toyota took all the best ideas and put it together (although in a not very attractive package)
    Who cares if it has a solid rear axle? It has an old fashioned pushrod engine too. With all this old fashioned technology it still performs within reach of the Ody. The ride is better in my opinion ... dont care much for the sporty and harsh ride of the Ody. When I test drove the Ody on a concrete road with expansion joints you could feel everyone ... THUD,THUD,THUD. You dont notice them on a T&C. What happen to your first bit?

I just saw a 2005 Grand Caravan with the stow and go seating and many options (PM, PW, PL...) still under warranty at a dealer for $12,500 and not just a one off. How much was that vehicle four months ago when new?
    It was probably a one owner from New Orleans. ;)
    What I was really looking for was a dollar value on the closest vehicle that you could get to the Honda EX-L from Chrysler.
    I got on line and found this at the Chrysler web site. For about a $5000 higher MSRP than the Odyssey EX-L you can get the following 2006 TOWN & COUNTRY LIMITED X Pkg. What would you really pay? I don't know. Maybe some readers can fill that part in.
    However, I still would not consider this van equal to the EX-L if only for drive trane (engine, stability control, 5 speed trans) and suspension differences and I feel that there are others.

2006 TOWN & COUNTRY LIMITED X Pkg. $35,735.00

modify
    - Primary: Midnight Blue Pearl Coat Included
    - Interior: Dark Khaki/Light Graystone Included

modify
    - 3.8-Liter V6 OHV Engine Included
    - 2.37 Overall Top Gear Ratio Included
    - 4-Speed Automatic Transmission Included

modify
    - Luxury Leather-Trimmed Bucket Seats Included
    - 215/65R16 LBL All Season Tires Included
    - 16" x 6.5" Aluminum Chrome Clad Wheels Included
    - Infinity(TM) Speakers Included
    - AM/FM Stereo with CD Player/GPS Navigation Included
    - In-Dash 6-Disc CD/DVD/MP3 Changer-Reqd w/Rear Video Included
    - Supplemental Side Curtain Air Bags In All Rows* Included
    - Rear Air Conditioning with Heater Included
    - Anti-Lock Brakes Included
    - Passenger-Side Power Sliding Door Included
    - Driver's Manually-Adjustable Lumbar Support Included
    - Security Alarm Included
    - Removable Center Front Seat Console Included
    - Power Sunroof $1,005.00
    From a Chrysler Dealer under warranty?
    How much was that van four months ago?
    I think that it was a lease return or a demo. Don't know, don't care. It sure is cheap!
    Lets see ... the T&C has 6 DVD changer,rear video, navigation, infinity stereo and can be had for less than an Ody EX-L that has none of these. Not to mention power rear hatch which you can only get on Ody touring for 40K+. You can take your high tech gas guzzlin engine. I will take all the extra conveniences/features.
    +. You can take your high tech gas guzzlin engine. I will take all the extra conveniences/features

I am still trying to get someone to say what they paid for a Chrysler which is close to the Odyssey EX-L. Silence is deafening!
    Also, I actually get very close to posted EPA mileage values.

Let me ask again. How much did you pay for your Chrysler Town and Country with similsr features (other that engine, transmission, suspension all worse) to a Honda EX-L? It is simple.

I
    Summarizes Town & Country vs Odyssey in every price range. ;)
    The added bonus of the T&C vs Odd is that Comfort and Convenience can be purchased for less money than the High Tech engine.
    Chrysler T&C comfort and convenience is more important to many buyers than the ability to brag about a high tech engine. Odyssey owners are willing to give up comfort and convenience for the bragging rights of the VTEC with VCM. :confuse:
  • ergoergo Member Posts: 56
    Less. A LOT less! (There's an entire thread on this.)

An extra 5k to put in the college fund sure is nice! ;)
    I see that you are observing the same conlcusion from the nearly 100 minivan rentals I have had in the past 2 years!
    Just these words from a news source I stated earlier would suffice,

"Odyssey: State-of-the- minivan-art"
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    No mention of what models you were comparing. If it was dollar it was probably a LX or a base Town and Country, which replaces the Plymouth Voyager. The comparasion is only valid for a model to model matchup.T&C LX to Honda LX T&C Touring to Honda EX, T&C signature to Honda EXL, and T&C Limited to Honda Touring. These compare in LIST PRICE only. Suggest you pick one of the car comparison sites and compare features with actual selling price. Yes a Honda 3.8 is faster than a 3.3 T&C.
    "Wasn't Sedonna the first Minivan with shifter on center console...long before Toyota and Honda? Now they have the most powerful engine in it's class, and all the high tech gizmos like stability control etc.. all for thousands less than Honda/Toyota.

I'd say that's innovative."

What's innovative about a shifter on the center console? If it is where I think it is, it comes in the way of moving to the back easily from the front and defeats minivan practicality. It provides no added performance. It may as well be in the driver's forehead.

Engine power is said to be comparable at 240+hp but with a bigger (by 300 cc) displacement than Ody's. Sounds like "under-innovation"

It is not as refined as the Ody's and I can bet you that I would out accelerate the Sedona in the straight and especially around corners. I would wait for you in the curvy off-ramp. Of course if you are not inclined, then less athletic performance would suffice in a wannabe.
    I disagree. The T & C had the Stow and Go that many here fawn over. The ride should be the same on all T & C vans. It was VERY noisy inside...like riding in an auditorium during a wind storm. Why no lighted cruise control or power window controls? Do the power windows retract if they meet resistance, like a child's neck? While I have not rented 100 of the DCX vans I have rented at least 20. When I owned my '03 Silhouette I thought the DCX vans were competitive. Since owning an Odyssey I see how inferior they are. Some say the Honda is over priced. I say you get what you pay for and in Honda's case it is comfort, reliability, safety (where is the stability control DCX?) and performance. In addition I get resale value. Why is there a side curtain airbag delete when ordering the RES? These vans are supposed to be for families with small children so why isn't every safety item standard as it is on the Odyssey? The Odyssey is the only minivan with head curtain airbags that have roll over sensors.
  • masterpaul1masterpaul1 Member Posts: 421
    Why is there a side curtain airbag delete when ordering the RES? These vans are supposed to be for families with small children so why isn't every safety item standard as it is on the Odyssey?

Because people like to make there own choices and not have the manufacture make the choices for them. I agree that these features should be standard, but not only on Daimlerchrysler minivans but all vechicles. If you didn't know, you can purchase the side curtain airbags as an option. Remember, price is a factor for a lot of people and vechicles are not an investment, unless they are antique. (Some come across as if they bought a house or a piece of land. As if vechicles bring us equity) Resale only makes you money if you trade in or sale it. So for those that have an Ody., to use the resale that most have bragged about, you need to sale or trade it. Which would mean, in the long run, you would have paid a lot more on these vechicles. It would be interesting to see how much in interest each Ody, T&C and DGC owner would have paid for the same % over a five year car loan with -0- down at signing. :shades:
    i have one thing to say about DCX vans - solid rear axle wit leaf springs - this is the 21st century, what the hell is a solid rear axle (not to mention leaf springs) doing on a minivan?

Because when dealing with heavy loads, 1800 lbs of cargo and passengers for most minivans, a solid rear axle with leaf springs gives better stability and less sag in the rear, then independent suspension with coil springs. If you look at trucks, they have a solid rear axle as well as most SUV's. :)
    Here's an article about the different types of suspensions on vechicles.

http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/techcenter/articles/43855/article.html
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    It's almost like saying the Odyssey EX is the same inside as a Odyssey touring. They are not! Still you haven't said which model Odyssey you own.
    you can only get on Ody touring for 40K+.

You can? The only Touring I've ever seen stickered for $36k. if you know someone who paid 40 grand for any Honda, they're a sucker!

BTW, that "high-tech" gas guzzlin' engine makes an extra 30 horsepower and runs on less fuel than your (what, old tech gas swallowing?) engine. Don't play the 'my car has an option yours doesen't' game, or I will have to mention the remote-opening power windows, the four-wheel independent suspension, the front parking sensors, rolling-code theft immobilzer key, side-window sunshades, rear-passengers roll-down windows, Vehicle Stability Control, and the list goes on. You can do the same thing with stow-and-go etc, but the majority of us here knows who offers what. You keep your low-tech gas-guzzlin engine; we'll keep our reliable, high-tech, high-output, high-economy engine and extra safety features. :shades:
    Did you pay sticker for your new accord? Kelley blue book trade in for a EX with 60k is just under 10K. If they discounted the accord to say 1K over invoice I would say you got quite the deal.

Truthfully, the van was immaculate (no dings at ALL or carpet stains) and had 39,400 miles on it when we handed over the keys, so blue book had it near $12k
    i have one thing to say about DCX vans - solid rear axle wit leaf springs - this is the 21st century, what the hell is a solid rear axle (not to mention leaf springs) doing on a minivan?

Because when dealing with heavy loads, 1800 lbs of cargo and passengers for most minivans, a solid rear axle with leaf springs gives less sag in the rear than independent suspension with coil springs. If you look at trucks, they have a solid rear axle as well as most SUV's.

This is also why trucks have choppy, jittery rides unless heavily loaded. The DCX isnt really harsh, but less controlled and carlike in its motions compared with independent suspensions (ody and sienna).
    How much have people actually paid for such a vehicle? Then you would have to add to that for the more powerful engine, the 5 speed auto, stability control and I am not even going to talke about reliability or resale value of the Honda. If you go down this path, I don'y think that the prices are that different.

Reliability of Ody???? LOLOLOLOL, I'm sure you guys don't want to talk about that!!! DISMAL!

And we DCX owners can now get side airbags with sunfroof for 2006. Subtract from Honda lack of Stow N Go, no power hatch, knee airbags, opening rear vents etc... I can play that game, then ADD the savings, usually many thousands, over an Ody, factor in less financing - interest earned over interest paid!!! There's a huge difference!
    Let me ask again. How much did you pay for your Chrysler Town and Country with similsr features (other that engine, transmission, suspension all worse) to a Honda EX-L? It is simple.

I can't speak for T&C, but my similar equipped DCX DGC SXT to Honda EX was almost $10,000 LESS!! That was a year ago exactly, with EP before (from DCX employee/friend) and all rebates/financing. Most DCX buyers can get $5k off easily. Not sure what "worst" means? For all of Honda's touted gizmos, they're within spitting distance in mileage, braking etc...many people note the DCX vans are quieter and ride smoother too. So "worst" in one's opinion, is better in someone else's.

I drove many Odys before buying the DCX, and what I remember most after driving them back to back was "I can't see a significant difference except price".
    "Odyssey: State-of-the- minivan-art"

"Odyssey: Start-of-major-problems" is more appropriate
    Engine power is said to be comparable at 240+hp but with a bigger (by 300 cc) displacement than Ody's. Sounds like "under-innovation"

I bet the Sedonna doesn't have to be reved out to see that HP? and probably meets its EPA estimates better. Sorry Honda mislead you 2005 owners with its bogus HP ratings...testing engines with little or no accessories, or oil to give higher HP ratings. Same test engineer must have come up with the EPA numbers too, probably done under 40 mph while coasting down a hill in neutral.

Of course if you are not inclined, then less athletic performance would suffice in a wannabe.

99% of minivan owners wouldn't drive like an idiot on curvy off ramps. If you wanna do that, buy a real car instead of trying to convince yourself that a Minivan is similar to a sports car! If you're going thru a midlife crisis, go buy real car.
    I am still waiting for you in the curvy off-ramp with your Sedona. It would be very delightful for me to embarrass you there as I have done to so many other minivans.

In the minivan class, the Ody rules in performance. By the way, some of my other family cars include a CTS-V, and a Maxima. My son just purchased a BMW 550i and also drives his in-law's M-B SL500, all new models. These are perfomance leaders in their own car class. You have to intelligently compare apples to apples, not car to minvan. In the minivan world, the Ody rules - many sources would support that, not just the average owner here.

Just gimme your vehicle license plate so that I would know when we are both exiting the ramp together. It would be a delight to have see/have you smell hot air from my (Ody) behind. LOL!
    The 2006 Explorer has independent suspension on all four wheels if my rapidly aging brain is correct.

The DCX people can come on here and whistle 'til the cows come home but it is not going to change the fact that the Odyssey is the best, safest, most up to date technology minivan on the American market. The high tech VCM engine has the best gas mileage. It is also at the top in reliability. I know there is a certain non-profit consumer magazine the DCX folks like to slam but check out the frequency of repair numbers for both Odyssey and DCX. The DCX has dropped way down in quality (was it ever there?) while the Odyssey maintains its high quality.

Just because a van has an MSRP of $34,000 and a selling price of $23,000 does it become a $34,000 van. It is a $23,000 (soon to be $14,000 after a year's depreciation) rental fleet van. My EX-L cost $28,800 and will still be worth $24,000 next year, a little less the year after.

The facts are my friends that American consumers are leaving GM, Ford and Chrysler behind in droves and buying Honda, Toyota, Hyundai and Kia because that is where the quality and reliability is. If Kia can get it why can't DCX or GM?
  • coltswincoltswin Member Posts: 17
    Go to the post your gas mileage forum. The Ody gas mileage is dismal. Go to the Ody problems board. How may posts are there? The 2008 T&C and Grand Caravan will blow the Ody away.
  • coltswincoltswin Member Posts: 17
    :(:cry: :confuse: :sick:
This discussion has been closed.