Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• sweendogysweendogy Member Posts: 1,310
    Don't worry the hosts are all over these types of events - the are good at getting rid of the trash posts- my guess is this message didn't get flagged because of the clean notation - "pregnancy and miracle" - they must also vet by username- this guy was clearly off the do not fly list.

They should prob ask John McAfee to update the security
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    McAfee has his hands full trying to dodge the Belizean police. Something tells me, he doesn't have ELLPS on his "my watched items" list.
    Something wrong with the responses again, getting multiple user names in he header. Guess he hosts ar on a holiday break given thankgiving. I think it's great to have time with he fam-

The mcafee fall could be epic-
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    edited November 2012
    Graphicguy, do you realize you responded to something that is clearly spam? Hopefully, you didn't click on the "pregnancy miracle" link as the bottom.

Didn't catch that. Just saw the date of tne post that was responded to. Didn't notice the link until you just mentioned it.

Carry on!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    No, not on holiday - but we don't work 24/7 either. The multi-user names in the header is just a weird bug that happens so infrequently it's not easy to fix, nor probably really worth the manpower it would take to investigate. We just have to live with that one.

Re: spam - nothing gets "flagged" prior to posting. Everything posts, and the hosts read all of our assigned discussions in order to catch them. This was a pretty obvious bit of spam (now removed)... some are more sneaky. No obligation, but the quickest way to get spam removed is to email a host. Reported items by email get attention first, and then everything else just gets taken care of as we come across issues.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter would like to speak to car owners who use Chrysler Uconnect, Cadillac CUE or Ford's MyFord/MyLincoln Touch. If you use any of these telematics systems, please send your daytime contact information to pr@edmunds.com no later than November 20, 2012 at 1 p.m. PT/4 p.m. ET.
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,390
    edited November 2012
    I'm a big fan of older BMWs (own an E46 convertible and an E39 sedan) and like a lot of long-time Bimmer fans I'm unhappy with the Lexus-ization of the brand as the cars get heavier, less agile and less sporty. Now comes a rumor that Alfa-Romeo may produce a modern, RWD, small sports sedan link.

It was Alfa that invented the modsern sport sedan way back in 1951 when they introduced their 1900 TI >

Can't happen soon enough IMO. Viva Alfa!

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    There is nothing small about it. They are guessing near 5-series size.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• flightnurseflightnurse Member Posts: 2,217
    Interesting since Fiat owns Alfa, and Fiat wants to make a big push here in the US, I'm we are going to see some of those Italian sedan state side. I had a friend who had a GTV-6 great car...
    Sergio Marchionne, though Italian born was brought up in Canada. I'm sure he is aware that the current Fiat and Alfa lineups are not well suited to the North American market. He is also aware that fostering growth on this side of the pond is a good hedge against the poorly performing European market.

He seems to be a genuine car nut as well.

Wikipedia: Sergio Marchionne.

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Interesting since Fiat owns Alfa, and Fiat wants to make a big push here in the US, I'm we are going to see some of those Italian sedan state side. I had a friend who had a GTV-6 great car...

Alfa has been threatening to return to North America for about 5 years now. They keep pushing the date back.
    Alfa has been threatening to return to North America for about 5 years now. They keep pushing the date back.

Perhaps that's because they realize that most of their current products do not live up to the standards set by the Alfas we recall so fondly. In that case it's best that they do right rather than right away. :shades:

oh, its been going on much longer than that. I definitely remember reading about their return back in 2000.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Alfas already here boys - go to the dodge dealer and ask to see /Alfa_Romeo_Giulietta_- or as we know it here the new dart. Enjoy
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    I was the proud owner of a 79 Spider. It was a fun car and i loved it, but i wouldnt say i was impressed with the standards set by Alfa.

Quality an reliability were not Alfa hallmarks.

Quality an reliability were not Alfa hallmarks.

That's true enough but they made up for it with character and style, something sorely lacking in most modern cars (including the current FWD Alfas). A sport sedan with modern build quality and old-fashioned responsiveness and feel may be elusive or even impossible but we can dream can't we?

If not Alfa, who, or are we condemned to overweight blandly styled luxo-boats instead of real sports sedans? :(

• alltorquealltorque Member Posts: 535
    Skoda Octavia vRS TSI is worth a look - or would be if VW Group would sell it in your part of the known universe. :cry:

Review attached for the gasser 5-door Hatch. It also comes in Estate form and both body styles are also available with 2.0 TDi, of course. It's fun, chuckable and very roomy. Too big ? Search for the Skoda Fabia vRS - 170bhp of 1.4 ltr gasser fun in a 5-door hatch body. :shades:

Skoda Octavia vRS TSI
    edited December 2012

Skoda Octavia vRS TSI is worth a look - or would be if VW Group would sell it in your part of the known universe

They do not sell it here of course, nor are they likely to, but my real problem with it is my belief that any real sport sedan has to have RWD. AWD might be acceptable if it mimics the dynamics of a RWD car but I have no interest in any FWD car larger than a Golf.

edited December 2012
    There is the Miata, BR-Z, RX-8, Boxster/Cayman, and Elise/Exige.

But i agree, new cars dont compare in dynamics and feel to older cars. But its complicated. Older cars give more feel and feedback and are more fun and rewarding to drive, but this is partly because they have less rigid bodies and lower handling limits.

Different driving experience. For 99% of drivers, new cars are faster and safer.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,516
    man, I would love to see a variant on the BRZ that was more practical. Stretch it a little and have a wagon style body.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

edited December 2012
    The WRX is a good choice there.

The TSX Wagon with a 6-speed manual would be cool too...
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    TSX Wagon is 5 Speed auto only.

Speaking of the next WRX, when is that coming out? Subaru is still selling the previous body style 1 year into the new body style Impreza.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

There is the Miata, BR-Z, RX-8, Boxster/Cayman, and Elise/Exige.

Oh, I will acquire a Boxster eventually but none of those are performance sedans.

• dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    My understanding is there are no plans to make WRX from current new Impreza body, so who knows when new WRX comes. Lots of different rumours, nothing of substance.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

When you own a boxster, you wont need a "performance sedan."
    When you own a boxster, you wont need a "performance sedan."

That's what I am trying to convince myself of in contemplating placing an order on a new Cayman S. i.e. That if I get it, my 2004 Acura TL 6-speed will be good enough for another 5 years. Otherwise, I might end up with a 2013 M3 at near giveaway prices.

I will say that when I had my 911, my Acura TL was more enjoyable to drive then. I didn't feel like it needed to go beyond it's capabilities to be satisfying. It's a damn nice, economical to own, sporty sedan; if not an all out "performance sedan". And I could let the guy next to me in his 550i rev his engine without feeling inferior - knowing that I had a car in the garage that could run circles around it. Now the only other gas powered things in my garage are a lawnmower, leaf blower and chainsaw. Although I have to admit, the chainsaw fills a bit of my need to be manly, at a considerably lower cost than the 911 did.

So if you need to save up for a Boxster, maybe get a chainsaw in the interim? I recommend the Husquevana Rancher 460.
  • billyperksiibillyperksii Member Posts: 198
    Hey Hab-Are you inferring to my pending purchase (550), with a chip installed I think I will be able to take you. :)
    Oh no, are we digitally drag racing again??

A new 911S scoots to 60 in 3.5 to 3.9 seconds depending upon who's holding the stopwatch. Couple of clicks faster than the M5.

But go ahead and get that 550i and chip. I'm almost ready to pull the trigger and order the new Cayman S. That should be a good race. As long as it's in a straight line.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    0-60 might be the worst reason to pick one car over another...

I'd take a minimally-optioned Cayman S stick-shift over a Nissan GT-R, and enjoy myself for another second on the way to 60 (and, save $25K...)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Whatever happened to the down payment on that fisker ?

I would also agree the chainsaw is a manly tool- prob more so then a boxer –
    edited December 2012
    Whatever happened to the down payment on that fisker ?

It was a Tesla, and they still have it while I am contemplating my options. Get weekly e-mails reminding me that it's time to build my Model S. I don't think it will happen.

I would also agree the chainsaw is a manly tool- prob more so then a boxer –

Boxers are either dogs or shorts. But, IMO the new Boxster S is a lot manlier than the old model. On the other hand, the new Cayman S has got my complete, nearly undivided, attention. Play the video in this teaser (hit overview and scroll down to "video"):

Porsche Cayman S
    0-60 might be the worst reason to pick one car over another... I'd take a minimally-optioned Cayman S stick-shift over a Nissan GT-R

I would agree. The new Cayman S is likely the best handling Porsche this side of a $400,000 Carrera GT. I am pretty much sold. Dealer here has offered me his first slot, to be delivered in April. Will likely pay full MSRP and maybe get a free Porsche logo hat thrown in. Ah well, I like a deal but I'd rather have this car.

And If I cut my brains out in a chainsaw accident and wake up wanting to turn the Cayman into a Nissan GT-R, that can be done. Simply get a turbo kit that takes it to 480hp and throw 2-3 large farm animals in the hatch to take the weight up from 2,900 lbs to 2+ tons. In which case, you, Billy, Sweeny and everyone else here has authority to shoot me and put me out of my misery.
    edited December 2012
    0-60 might be the worst reason to pick one car over another...

Oh, come on. We can think of way worse reasons. :P

To be perfectly honest, though, acceleration is near the top of my comparison list, but its obviously not the only yardstick.

Can't argue the passion for driving and wanting a great handeling manual trans sports car. The Gtr is in another class being a super car- the boxters are real nice drivers car. Good luck on the purchase but do me a favor and never pay list.
    The Gtr is in another class being a super car-

Don't want to get too far off track here, but have you ever driven a GT-R? I have and other than flooring the accelerator, there isn't much "super" about the experience for me. Not to be crude or sexist, but buying one would be like picking a wife or girlfriend based solely on maximum bust size. Without regard to the fact that you get an enormous waist and butt to go along with it. The GT-R is ugly outside, ugly inside and has a curb weight closer to a Porsche Cayenne than a Porsche Cayman. Yes, the performance numbers are good, but the two tons and AWD completely eliminate sense of visceral, nimble handling on public roads. "Super car" to me is a term to reserve for a GT-3 or 458.

I hope not to pay full MSRP on the Cayman S, but, as with real estate, it's better to get only a fair deal on a great car than a great deal on only a fair car.
    I have not had the luxury to drive the worlds best Nissan. But in my eyes and the journalist it is- as this recent article will suggest

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-68906135/

As they say in big business - paying retail is for s@@kers
    edited December 2012
    As they say in big business - paying retail is for s@@kers

Well if you were lucky enough to be one of the few hundred buyers to pick up a brand new Ferrari 430 or 458 at the MSRP, you could have driven it for a year, sold it and bought a GT-R with the profit. Of course, that would get you quickly knocked off Ferrari's "A" list for future purchases. Me, that's not a list I'll soon - or ever - be on.

I hope this makes you almost as happy as me - I just put a deposit on a 2013/4 Cayman S at a discount off MSRP, and am #1 on their list for a customer ordered car. Porsche won't take the order for another few weeks and I won't get the car before April, but I think my shopping is over.

Regarding the GTR, if you must have 0-60 in under 3 seconds for $100k, my choice would be to buy a 2-3 year old pre-owned 911 Turbo S. The only thing that will get you to 60 quicker is a Bugatti. The Porsche is a little more refined for my tastes. And doesn't look like it was created by an uncooperative committee of Nissan designers that used the Plymouth Barracuda for inspiration. Plus, Porsche still believes in offering manual transmissions - an unfortunate rarity in the world of supercars.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1206_nissan_gt_r_black_edition_vs_por- - - - sche_911_turbo_s_comparison/viewall.html
    Bit all over the place- the 911 Turbo prob a better car- but again it's 70k more. That's a huge chunk of change- and in terms of % of MsRP difference you could by a boxter as a daily driver if you wanted.

Congrats on the order and nice work paying less then sticker.
    I have and other than flooring the accelerator, there isn't much "super"

And what track did you drive this GT-R?

How about this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUM4fM-85ZM

BTW, this video shows just how fast the GT-R is around a race track since it broke the record on this lap..

Not bad for porky car..

To fair, the GT-R is an amazing car for the speed and handling the the car can do for its weight.
    Note that I said 2-3 year old pre-owned 911 Turbo S. The Turbo's depreciate at a faster rate than the GT-3 - as further evidence of what the serious enthusiasts really enjoy driving. The independent Porsche service place I go to has a legendary master mechanic and former race team member who has even disconnected the front wheel drive on a number of 993 and 996 Turbo's because of the enthusiast preference for RWD.
    And what track did you drive this GT-R?

No track, I-270 and the DC Beltway during some non-rush hour times. And it was last year with a 2011 model.

Again, great numbers on paper and there is no disputing the 500+ hp and AWD ability to get the 2-ton car around a track quickly. But until you drive one, it's hard for me to explain the unsatisfactory experience I had. This is just a sledgehammer of a car, nothing scalpel like about it, when you are driving it anywhere but the Nurburgring track. Nissan's answer to the Viper, not a Ferrari or Porsche. And, by the way, the RWD 911GT2 took back the title from the GT-R with a lap time of 7:18. Again, not that this matters that much to me. I want a sports car that is attractive, light, enjoyable to drive at 30 mph as much as 100+ and still let's me row my own gears, no matter how bad or slow I am. The GT-R is a hell of a deal for the right buyer, just not me.
    Note you said 2-3 yr old Porsche - and posted a new vs new comparo. I have a Jr mechanic, he rotated my tires and chipped a rim.
    Habait I have driven two GT-R's on races tracks at speed, A 2010 (stock) at Willow Springs (the big track) and 2012 (slight modified) at Firebird Raceway.After a lap or two you f forget how much the car really weights when you are throwing the car into turns at speed. The builds speed VERY quickly and can stop just as quick.

We all have our likes and dislikes, you like the S2000 over a NSX, you like the Cayman and I like the Boxster.

Now if Nissan can shave off 750 pounds from the GT-R I highly doubt you will fine a better car for the money...
    edited December 2012
    Now if Nissan can shave off 750 pounds from the GT-R I highly doubt you will fine a better car for the money...

That 750 lb "shave" may involve a few hours with my chain saw and end up with something that looks more like a Cayman than a GT-R. No I suspect Nissan will continue to produce a nearly two ton GT-R and be unapologetic for its girth. As they have every right to be.

My preference for a lighter weight, more refined, manual transmission coupe like the new Cayman S over the GT-R is just that, a preference. Most of my time in the driver's seat will be in sub-sonic speeds where nimble handling - and interior design - will be noticed, but the raw power of 545hp will not. Would I like more power? Who among us wouldn't? But if it's a trade off between 0-60 in 4.5 seconds and 2.9 seconds vs. giving up the enjoyment of shifting my own gears, a marginally ugly interior (IMO) and Barracuda inspired exterior, and a car that is "clunky" around town (Edmund's quote), I'll take 4.5. But that does not mean that I don't respect your choice to go with the GT-R based upon your preferences.

It may be valid to call something "better" based upon a single attribute. But my choice of cars - and I suspect yours - involves several attributes, some of which are in conflict with each other and change over time. In 2005 I bought a 911S Cab at $10k more than the coupe. The soft top was a detriment to absolute track performance, but a joy for my daughters in the mini-back seats. Now I'm about to pay $3,000 more for a Cayman coupe than a Boxster. Go figure.

Bringing this back to ELLPS, the trade-off preferences can be even more subtle. Nissan is often dinged on the lack of refinement relative to the G37 vs. the BMW 335i or even Acura TL-AWD. Other's might take the raw power and performance of a Subaru WRX and ask why anyone would consider a more expensive ELLPS. As you said, it all comes down to likes and dislikes and weighing preferences, not just a single attribute.
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    It sounds to me like you might be interested in the new Scion/Subaru coupes. They are light, agile, and perfect for zooming around town and up and down mountain roads. Plus, you could get one, modify it with a supercharger, and a ton of other goodies and still be 10K under the price of the Nissan or Porsche.

As much as I love the Cayman, it's overpriced and they still haven't really fixed the problem with the output shaft bearings. The Nissan is simply too heavy to be considered.
    they still haven't really fixed the problem with the output shaft bearings

My understanding is that the infamous Intermediate Shaft bearing failures were cured when they eliminated the entire part with the adoption of the 997 motor circa 2007. I don't think this problem ever affected the 987s (Cayman and Boxster after 2005)

It sounds to me like you might be interested in the new Scion/Subaru coupes.

Once again, personal preferences. I still like playing baseball with 20- and 30- somethings, but I'm a couple decades and entire headset past wanting to have something that would characterize me as a boy racer. I'll pay up and forego that $10k difference. No argument that Porsche pricing isn't a little painful...they didn't become the most profitable car company on the planet by accident. But, to their credit, the craftsmanship and engineering is right up there with the best on the planet. I sometimes wish Honda had evolved their S2000 into an S3500, but for now, there really isn't anything in a sports car format that appeals to me as much as the Cayman and/or 911. So I guess I'll pay up for that preference as well.

The good news is that they did fix the rear main seal leak, if that is what you are referring to. Some time ago, in fact. I had a 2005 911S (997) and it didn't drip a drop of oil in 5.5 years and 30k+ miles. That problem pretty much went out the door with the 996 model of 911 and the pre-2008 (I think) Boxsters and Caymans. My independent Porsche mechanic has a 2007 Cayman with 120k+ miles that looks brand new, and he would claim it was all about proper break in.
    I believe if honda dropped a V6 in the S2000 it would have lost it's handling characteristics that made it what it was.
    Probably right. Better to leave well enough alone, and simply reminisce about what a mere $32k bought me in 2001
    What if they put that 6 in the trunk- ?