Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    edited September 2013
    My 2004 Volvo V70 had an MSRP of more than $32,000 when I bought it. My wife and I went looking at cars last weekend and fell in love with the Subaru Outback. AWD, leather, moonroof, bluetooth, etc... And MSRP was just over $30,000.

It even rides better than our now 10 year-old Volvo. More car for less money - Im very tempted to pull the trigger.
  • sweendogysweendogy Member Posts: 1,310
    "The S4 is far from an average car though " yep we get that'and somehow the rear camera is not standard, prob because its a performance car and the 2 extra lbs would slow it down.

btw they don't make the rav4 with a 6 anymore.

Check check

Drive fast, take chances
  • billyperksiibillyperksii Member Posts: 198
    edited September 2013
    I gussed you lucked out.
    My house cost me 229K 11 years ago, now I am upgrading and its running me nearly twice as much.
    Go figure.
  • flightnurseflightnurse Member Posts: 2,217
    "give a short impression of your time with the new Impala"

Over all I liked it, the fit and finish is first rate, the car "feels" more expensive, seats were excellent for comfort, the way the car rode was more connected to the road then any other chevy sedan I have driven. The engine is the 3.6; DOHC 306hp, w/ 6spd auto. The engine revved and wanted to go high but of course the fuel cut off kicked in, the 6 spd auto shifted well, good up shift with no hesitation and downshifts were smooth. I was impressed with the car, no rattles, the car almost rode like a German car, but not as refined as one. I have driven two of them one a top of the line 2LTZ and a 2LT. Behind the radio is a "hidden" compartment that has a USB port so one could load a iPod or ITouch and leave it there connect and not have to worry about it. The cars had 5 USB ports in it, this is the first car I have had with this many. Ford really needs to do something with their Taurus if they want to be competitive in this segment.

So I liked the car, it is now one of the cars I look for when renting. BTW, so far I have averaged 26 MPG with the cars. I'm sure once they bring the 8 spd/auto into the MPG will go up. I have pictures of the interior but I don't know to upload them.
    5 USB ports - thing must way a ton.

Interesting review I think the impala is a nice sedan and the reviews say the same will be interesting to see the SS sedan and how well that does
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Tks. My wife will be looking for a replacement sedan in the next 6-12 months and the Impala is a possibility. I've only seen a couple on the road and I hear they are in short supply at dealers so the fact that you can get them readily at the rental counter is unusual. Guess they wanted to get them out to be experienced by many and the people that tend to rent full size autos are probably their target audience on the most part. How did it compare with the your partner's Genesis?
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    >>5 USB ports - thing must way a ton. <<

Yeah...probably the new lead based USB 3.0 ports :)
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    edited September 2013
    Johan de Nysschen has his work cut out for him. The new head honcho of Infiniti &#150; formerly of Audi (of America) for almost 20 years &#150; has to do for Infiniti what he did for Audi. He must take a run at making you think of BMW (or Audi) as the German Infiniti. Tall task? Well, based on the lethargic launch of the Q50, I don&#146;t envy Johan.

You may or may not lend much credence to Automobile, Car and Driver, Motor Trend, Popular Mechanics or Road and Track&#146;s gravitas in promoting [automotive] brands. If you discount these magazines&#146; influence, fine &#150; I would imagine, however, you are at least aware of them (especially if you are participating in this and other car-centric forums).

The point I will hopefully make is highly derivative; indeed, without apology, the influence for my conclusions has been shaped by John Naisbitt&#146;s 1982 book, Megatrends. Perhaps I should clarify and sharpen my focus: My point &#150; to be revealed shortly &#150; is based on using a technique of observation and counting how much &#147;ink&#148; is spread pertaining to a particular subject, story or brand or product. Moreover, once the quantity of ink has been identified, it is also of importance to identify and rank the content (or the &#147;qualities&#148;) of the ink.

We&#146;ve all been hearing and reading about the new Q50 for what seems to be a long time (in automotive product life-cycles). We&#146;ve seen full-page ads in the major automotive enthusiasts&#146; magazines for at least a couple of months. What we haven&#146;t seen are test reports, comparison tests and &#147;First Drives&#148; &#150; yet we&#146;re seeing ink (for several months now) about cars that aren&#146;t even available for purchase, e.g., the upcoming Mercedes-Benz CLA45 to name just one.

Audi and BMW, too, seem to be masters at garnering great quantities of ink about cars that are either still on the drawing boards or aren&#146;t yet in production form, e.g., the BMW M4. Audi, BMW, Cadillac, Lexus and even KIA (!) are very adept at keeping the volume of the buzz about their brands and products cranked up to 11.

I just got the new Automobile magazine yesterday (October 2013 issue) &#150; the New Cars for 2014 issue. Page 38 - 40, &#147;Driven: BMW 435i&#148; offers up less than a review but more than a rehash of the corporate brochure &#150; the car is discussed, albeit briefly, in terms of performance, style, ride and handling. The spread includes pictures of the car&#146;s anterior and posterior as well as its engine and interior (in red leather). This marks at least 2 mentions (ink) of the &#147;4 series&#148; in this issue.

Further evidence of the virtual lack of any buzz regarding new Q50 is the &#147;Sport-Sedan Slugfest&#148; in the June &#146;13 Car and Driver &#150; where the BMW 3, the Cadillac ATS and the Lexus IS duke it out for king of the hill bragging rights. I would have thought Infiniti would have busted its hump to get the Q50S included in the slugfest. I would argue that the Infiniti, not the Lexus would have been the odds-on favorite choice for this comparision article based on the G37 being dubbed (more than once) the Japanese BMW. The highly anticipated (and touted) Q50 being excluded from this comparison is an incredible marketing blunder &#150; especially since Infiniti has been showing off the Q50 for several months now at invitation only dealer events where Infiniti representatives regale the invitees with anecdotes wherein the Q50S betters Audi A4&#146;s and BMW 3&#146;s on the track.

I was, understandably I think, eager with anticipation when I turned to page 56 of the new Automobile magazine to see the mini article, &#147;Driven: Infiniti Q50.&#148; Unfortunately, there is little ink devoted to a discussion of how the car performs. Indeed, what struck me was the following: &#147;. . . the Q50 is not so much an all-new sport sedan as a refreshed and rebodied Infiniti G37.&#148; Most of the remaining ink pertained to the Q50&#146;s ability to [almost] drive itself.

Even an admitted gadget-geek (like me) would likely be underwhelmed by the content of this &#147;ink.&#148; Practically speaking the buzz potentially created by this ink is arguably not the kind of buzz Infiniti probably was hoping for &#150; and it is certainly not the kind of buzz that is likely to retain the brand&#146;s (or the Q50 itself) image as &#147;the Japanese BMW.&#148;

Although I have driven a new very high-contented AWD Q50S and can absolutely attest to its worthiness as an A4 or 3 series (and therefore IS and ATS) rival, this conclusion has been reached in spite of Infiniti&#146;s dismal marketing efforts. I seriously doubt the majority of the market the Q50 seems to be courting will notice the Q50 until (or unless) the ink spread around about it focusses more on the performance, luxury and driving dynamics rather than its expensive technology package that seems hell bent on distancing the driver from, er, driving.

My wife &#150; currently driving a 2011 Infiniti FX35 AWD Premium &#150; sums it up this way, &#147;Infiniti&#146;s do everything well &#150; but they don&#146;t seem to want to involve their customers as drivers. The Germans, especially Audi and BMW somehow imbue their cars, their dealerships, their owner clubs and web sites with customers who are passionate about the brand. Indeed, the thing lacking from Infiniti is a soul or a passion to both drive and be driven.&#148;

Perhaps that it why even a &#147;pull ahead&#148; deal Infiniti offered her couldn&#146;t compel her to be a two-time Infiniti owner. She went to Audi, BMW and Volvo and drove a like-priced ($50K) Q5, X3 and XC60 and ended up ordering a &#147;passion inducing&#148; supercharged 2014 Audi Q5. Pity, the Infiniti brand (and most of the products individually) can&#146;t seem to catch a break.

The &#147;Megatrends&#148; methodology seems to indicate BMW is unlikely to be known as the German Infiniti any time soon.

Drive it like you live. :confuse:
  • dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,162
    I just read an article about sales of 3-series going gangbusters. Basically another piece of evidence that enthusiasts don't matter, at least in short run. People are lining up to buy this "sports sedan" probably for reasons why the same people didn't buy them before - it's big, comfy, easy to drive. But it's a BMW, so it must be sporty, right? Since they've never sit in a true sporty car, if they had, they thought it was uncomfortable crap, how would they know the difference, anyway.
    Looks to me BMW cashed the chips and they bought huge sale boost. It will be interesting to see long term effects of this. VW made a similar gambit with Jetta and Passat by decontenting them, stripping all those good suspension components and making barges out of them. It worked until it stopped. After couple of years of initial huge boost they hit a wall and sales stalled, even fell at some point. I wonder if same could happen to BMW. Maybe not, who knows. One thing is certain, my not liking (hating actually) the new 3 steering doesn't matter.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,433
    well, maybe it is no longer "sporty" to old school BMW types, but for anyone coming out of mainstream cars (Camry say) or a Lexus it is certainly a major step up the sports sedan spectrum.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

edited September 2013
    Exactly, it is all relative. All they have to do is convince enough people it's better than the alternative. The funny thing is their competitors are moving toward that point from the other side, making it very crowded market with small differences. I guess that's inevitable in world of mass production, one has to cater to least objectionable rather than try to stand out. It's the price for going from niche to global.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    dino...stickguy....I think you both hit the nail on the head with the 3 series. BMW did cash in their chips on the new one. But, they've been moving away from sports sedan into more mainstream waters for a while now.

I think the thing that BMW has that VW did not, at least in this country, is the cachet of their brand. VW lost their "cool" factor a long time ago.

Now, does BMW retain the cool factor after moving their cars into more mundane territory? Remains to be seen and we probably won't know for another decade or so.

markincincinnati.....I think what kills the Q50 is that drivetrain. It's getting long in the tooth. And the NVH factor has never been its strong suit. It might be OK in an Altima or a Maxima. But, in a $50K lux sedan? Not so much!

I'm thinking you did the test drive up at Kings Automall? Those guys used to send me stuff all the time. But, sounds like they had something of a management shakeup as the previous GM who had been there for years, is no longer there. One of the sales people (whose name I did not recognize) must have dug up my email info from their files. I got an email from him towards the end of last month touting their HUGE selection of Q50s and their willingness to "deal" on them.

No sure what that means with a car that just hit the streets.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    "No sure what that means with a car that just hit the streets."

Have you ever got something from a car dealer that said anything different???
    Of course.
    "Sells like hot cakes", "We can't get enough of those", , "The supply is very tight" "Everybody is asking about this color/trim (of course it happens to be one you want). All to make you believe you need to pay up to get one. This is especially true with "all new" models that just arrived. The supply shortages may even be real, whether they are due to demand, or ramping production, a well-trained salesman will always spin it into "c'mon buddy, you're paying the sticker today".

If the car is new and they already say "we have huge inventory waiting just for you", things are really slow.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,056
    Couldn't you use the dealer's website to see how many of a particular model are available?

Then you would be armed with better information as to whether a model is 'hot' or not.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

I didn't mean specifically, just in general they always use some kind of come on like that. In the Q50's case, I don't think they are desperate yet as it just hit the dealerships a few weeks ago and from my few drivebys of the the local Infiniti dealer it didn't look like they had that many Q50s in stock. I think you are reading way too much into into an email from a car salesman.
    You may be correct. It may be as simple as a relative "we have large choice and the guy across town does not". It was Mark that planted the thought in me that Q50 may not be selling. It certainly is too early to tell.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    Depends. Some services that the dealerships use list ALL inventory available at that dealership as well as nearby dealerships. I've seen dealership personnel complain about this before, as it gives consumers the impression that the vehicle they like is available on the lot of the dealership whose website they're viewing.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    edited September 2013
    To Mark or anyone who's driven the Q50: Does the Q50 drive essentially the same as the G37 it replaced? It has an improved interior and more tech., but has the same (aging and ubiquitous Nissan) engine. Does it still exhibit the same characteristics, such as the overly intrusive boy-racer exhaust note, for example? (Some like it, some do not.)
    I drove a fully loaded Q50S AWD. I drove into the dealership in a 2011 FX35 -- I have test driven the M37X's and several other Infinitis within the past 4 months.

The thrash of an Infiniti V6 certainly isn't banished from the new Q50, but it is way way muted in the new evolution of the G sedan. I wouldn't mind having the sound of the Q50 at full-cry enter into the cabin of a Q50 I was driving, it has been so tamed.

I'm not making excuses -- or at least that is not my intent -- I dare say so few people have ever even test driven one of the new Q50's, the product is hardly an issue.

The car's anonymity is what I was remarking upon (in my "ink" post) -- due to what I would call damn near a marketing implosion. The Q50 should have had an Audi or a BMW-like launch -- a launch designed to tease, announce, build buzz, showcase and provide plenty of first drives, "drivens" and side-by-side comparos. Instead the new Q50 has been brought to market with about as much buzz as there would be for a closeout sale of 2008 full-sized pickup trucks that have been on the lot since, well, 2007.

I don't mean to be carrying Infiniti's water even though I can tell you the Q50S AWD drives like it belongs in a comparison with a new BMW 3, Cadillac ATS, Audi A4 (or even S4) or Lexus IS 350 F Sport.

If you think the Q50 will provide a disappointing aural experience -- especially at full throttle -- you will be proven wrong (happily, I would hope.)

The Q50 does raise the bar in the "sport sedan" class (for 15 minutes)-- but, you're right, the engine does need to be re-thought and redesigned. I'd say the transmission can "keep on" perhaps for another year or two before it MUST be replaced.

In contrast, the IS 350, which also came to market with an "old" engine, has an even more transformed package to distinguish itself from the outgoing IS. And the IS has had a "crack team" of marketers getting it in front of the target market. It has been in no less than two comparos already this year -- and its "handlers" seem hell-bent on getting the word out on the F Sport version as if to say, "this is not your grandfather's Lexus."

I have no reason to want to waste your time, so with that in mind, please take a test drive of a new Q50S AWD and post your impressions.

The Q50S does indeed seem to be Infiniti's best sedan ever!
    Maybe the reason the Q50 wasn't included in some of the comparos or extensive test drives was because of availability and the fact that the drive train didn't change that much if at all. There's a review of the Q50 over on Left Lane News that is pretty positive in regards to the "roar" being a little tamer maybe due to sound proofing more than anything. The quality of the interior pieces and the tech impressed them quite a bit. But in that comparo you referenced, they could have at least thrown in a G37x just for comparison purposes but maybe they figured they have done that show before.
  • puffinalongpuffinalong Member Posts: 32
    No disrespect, but how is an Infiniti a drivers car? BMW and Audi yes.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    prob because its a performance car and the 2 extra lbs would slow it down.

________

hAHAHAHAH, i DON'T THINK that's the reason. I think it comes down to Audi liking to make all its profit from options. They figure people that just have to have a fully loaded model with all the bells and whistles won't mind that it could nearly double the price of the car. Okay, so that's an exaggeration, but the options can kill you. Its easy for someone to pay S4 prices on an A4, for example.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    Agree with your assessment 100%.

When I went to the Infiniti dealer, he asked if I was interested in the new Q50 vs. the old G37(S). I was about to answer G37, but instead, said, well..... what's new with the Q50, what's different?

He went on for about 2 minutes spewing information on a bunch of gadgets that add zero fun factor to the car. They were all about driving automation features for drivers that can't drive themselves.

I think he might have said something about an adjustable suspension so they can make Lexus customers happier.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • billyperksiibillyperksii Member Posts: 198
    "I think he might have said something about an adjustable suspension so they can make Lexus customers happier. "

Acura customers too.:)
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Kirstie...I've seen that at dealerships before. They show lots of stock. You call them. And, they say "those units are on their way". In short, they list every car/model the manufacturer makes and give the impression they're in stock.

My Audi dealer does that.

In the case of the dealer I'm assuming markincincinnati is talking about, I'm familiar with them. Matter of fact, I went past their store last night (which is being remodelled). They do indeed have a large inventory of Q50s sitting on their lot.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,181
    They've always carried a lot of inventory of the lower priced models..

When we were shopping a 2011 G37X, in October of 2011.... they had 25 of them on the lot (plus 2012 models, as well...)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

edited September 2013
    Puffinalong -- no disrespect taken. And, I can't believe I am somehow seeming (even to myself) to be defending or at least suggesting the G37x, er Q50S(x) deserves to be compared with the Audi and the BMW.

My wife's and my automotive history is overwhelmingly (~93+%) German, overwhelmingly Audi, but also can count 3 BMW's (all awd variants) and 3 VW's (2 Passats and 1 Jetta) among one Infiniti (2011 FX35 Premium AWD) and one Acura (2012 TL Advance SH-AWD). I have been to 5 driving schools, 4 with Audi in Austria and 1 with BMW here in Spartenburg. My wife "forces" (not too tough to do) us to test drive no less than 10 automobiles per year, except in the last year of her lease (such as 2013) where she ups the test-drive count by at least 3.

I am (or, better said, we are) capable of providing "informed" data points here on Edmunds -- hardly professional, but more than simply casual. We are probably anal in our test driving methodology -- always going over the same routes, same speeds, entering corners at the same speeds and even taking along the same MP3 and/or CD's with us to check out our tester's audio capabilities.

We attempt to drive the SPORT designated models (and always the AWD models) of everything we test drive. We subscribe, at any one time, to no less than four auto enthusiasts magazines (plus Consumer Reports in case we need a new vacuum cleaner) and read and/or watch as many websites and youtube tests as our non-working, waking hours allow. We don't have kids, so we have a lot of time to study up on current automotive fact (and fiction.)

Repeatedly, the "G" Infiniti cars have been dubbed "the Japanese BMW" -- never once, that I can find, has either Audi or BMW been dubbed "the German Infiniti" -- which is partially due to marketing and partially due to the product itself.

Infiniti's sport-sedan creds are not legion-- but they are also not ancient history, either. A nicely equipped G37X/S over the past two or three model years has never been an undesirable vehicle and in some instances it wins categories or comes in as a top two or top three finisher in automobile magazines' comparos (that is automobile with a lower-case "a").

Further accolades regarding the Infiniti G can be found by kliking here:

~ http://www.infinitiusa.com/g_sedan/awards-reviews.html

Once again, although I have been impressed with the new Q50S/AWD with the optional steering upgrade, I have not decided to be a two-time Japanese (let alone Infiniti) buyer.

As a member of the Audi Club of NA, I have at least the motivation of a minimum 6% off list discount "coupon" to make me revisit the A4 (or possibly A6 with sport package, of course); and Acura is already pushing and prodding me to "pull ahead" with an new (2013) TL (but since I have a 2012, it makes me wonder, "why bother?") Volvo's S60 T6 type - R is also interesting as is the IS 350 F Sport Lexus and even the new -- albeit routinely bashed -- 3 series. I've even looked at a Chrysler 300S and a Taurus SHO just in case. Part of me will at least mostly seriously give a critical look-see at the Cadillac ATS (and CTS) and the AWD Buick Regal GS.

So, I am not, per se an Infiniti lover nor apologist, nor am I yet willing to reject the Q50 out of hand solely on the merits of a really lackluster marketing campaign.

I remain willing to say the new Q50SX is the best Infiniti ever (that I have driven) and absolutely worth being compared to the Audi A4 and the BMW 3 -- and, if you, like Infinti, compare these three vehicles at "the exact same price point," the Infiniti will win on content even if much of that content, as I noted earlier, seems to be hell bent on removing the driver from driving. . . .

Speaking of that: Drive it like you live. ;)
    While I love the comments and reviews I wonder what could actually be gained interms of a true review from a simple test drive that lasted 15mins in a controlled environment. I've been to a few apple stores, played around with a few gizmos and thought they were cool but is that a true review of those items? The quotes Japanese bmw, The long post on the Audi discount I don't get- (audi club discount, really?) seems a bit drawn out and forced to prove some point which is never really given, is it a good or is it a tech driven value? Or at the price point, like the g it really is 90% of Bmw driving and 110% Better in tech? I'm going to reserve my own thoughts on the q (ugly name) once I've driven it and once the experts have compared it to its true comp. I would also note for real value seekers, if indeed there is a surplus of q50s on the lot and they are indeed good cars one could take advantage of such a mistake that someone else posted as infinitis fault at launch in lack of proper advertising.

Drive fast, take chances
    edited September 2013
    I urge you to take a test drive of the Q50S AWD -- which is pretty easy to do since there appears to be NO RWD samples available (at least here in my part of the country).

I encourage anyone who is serious about spending any money on any of the cars discussed in this forum to reserve judgement until post test drive. My response, perhaps too broad, was intended to encourage Puffinalong (and anyone really) to test drive a car before assuming it wasn't worthy of being spoken of in the same breath as Audi and BMW.

Infiniti spokespersons seem to want "us" to test drive the new Q50 against such competition as the A4 and 3 series at a price point. And, they do have a point -- at a nominal $50K, the Q50 will present itself with significantly higher content than an A4 or 3 series.

According to Infiniti's product advocates, an Infiniti Q50S (at the same price point) will best an A4 or a 3 series. This may or may not translate to the new Q50 bettering an A4, IS or 3 series in an enthusiasts magazine comparo (Car & Driver for example). Yet the Infiniti marketing execs and product specialists who travel the country on behalf of the brand are able to spout why the Q50 will outgun the A4 and 3 and IS and ATS given a monetary equalizer.

I doubt Car & Driver will limit its test subjects MSRPs to make sure their reviews are "a fair fight."

Given no limit (in this context) to price, I would assume that an Audi S4 or S5 or BMW M3 or M4 (not yet available) would be selected by a significant majority of folks -- assuming they didn't have to make the payments.

Given no slack (regarding price), however, I assume most of us will go for the maximum they can get "for the money."

Based on the new Car & Driver, I'd be quite willing to take a new RS7 Audi -- for $50K (dream on) were such car actually put on sale at that price.

And, yes, if you are a member of the Audi Club of NA, you do get a certificate good for 6% off list should you want to go that route (or course if you can negotiate anything better than 6%, you should take it!)

Drive it like you live!
    Review in Car and Driver of Q50S Hybrid -- not especially encouraging if you are a fan of the brand.

I'd say the review is stronger about the previous iteration (the G37) than the new one -- too much tech, too expensive, too too.

Back to the A4, 3 and the new IS F Sport if you asked me (but I would still argue in favor of test drive rather than being put off by C/D's take alone.

Drive it like you live. :surprise:
    No one is saying a test drive should not be used- but for someone, who is not constantly testing cars to write a review and that said review would be taking over a car mag is just ludicrous. I think a proper comparo test done by more then one mag- with all current contenders pulls more weight then the 15 min test drive you had with a salesmen sitting shot gun. Not saying the information and experience was not of any value, but just less then a James Healey or consumer reports- and another few ticks lower then c&d and others.

Let's get a couple of comparos before we jump to conclusions.

Drive fast, take chances
    I totally agree -- the early report from C/D however is a bit of a bummer (for those who were rooting for Infiniti and Johan, of course.)

Right out of the gate, the IS 350 gets a positive response, besting even the mighty 3 series.

I have NOT driven the IS -- hence my lack of input on that vehicle. Sween, if you drive the Q50, I'd be very interested in your input since you are a current G owner, as I recall.

Drive it like you live.
    Mark- have you read any other article on the car? The few I've read and watch are actually glowing, you mentioned the c&d one which I guess was about the hybrid. For those of us looking at a SUb 50 sports sedan would not consider a hybrid. Sure tesla has done it right; but what other hybrid is a real all around Lux sport sedan and at a price point of 50k, which I think is redik .

On the g and a test drive, look I would love to drive the new one but I honestly can't think of replacing my car as its an 07x that has 36k miles on it- all driven by me. Just got an oil change and swaped the battery- the low maintence $$ is huge, my usage tax which was 1500 when I bought it is under 150- and most of all it's still a car that can hold its own with cars from today. The q for me would be on a very short list, always liked the lex and the 335- but I can't see being a guy who goes to dealerships and not truly looking to buy a car- not me - better ways of using my time - like driving fast and taking chances
    I test drove the car, admittedly a sample of 1.

It was brand new of course, but it seemed like the computer wouldn't give me more than 205 HP even though I floored the son of a gun as I wasn't getting the OOMPH I was looking for. The 305 horses were being lazy, or the 8 speed auto was slushing the power drastically.

Either that, or I got a "lemon" 350 F Sport for my test drive.

Even with a better engine, the car just didn't do enough for me handling/drive wise.

I'm spoiled by a dual clutch auto-manual transmission. I can't see ever going back. Once you go DSG, you are stuck.
    edited September 2013
    So I'm sorry to hear the IS350 has some flaws - I'm surprised a guy who just got an S4 would even bother wasting time, not only yours but the dealers- on such a car - certainly hearing about how good the s4 is and also how much of a good deal the a3 was for you.

The IS350 prob slow due to standard backup camera, or maybe it was a is250 ...also liked your commentary on the blue accord, good choice.
  • tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    I think a proper comparo test done by more then one mag- with all current contenders pulls more weight then the 15 min test drive you had with a salesmen sitting shot gun.

One knows more about a fit to their own needs in one drive versus a pile of reviews.

15 minutes is quite a bit of time to get a reliable impression.
    "15 minutes is quite a bit of time to get a reliable impression."

How can you compare 5 different cars side by side , without driving all side by side. You can't. 15 mins can get you comfortable with a car for sure
    edited September 2013
    I drove the Q50S AWD recently. Loved it. The article from C&D, while disappointing, wouldn't change my mind. I was and continue to lament the apparent lack of marketing savvy Infiniti has demonstrated regarding the Q50 -- but I will wait (for another year) to see how Infiniti does under the watchful and experienced eye and hand of Johan (as we know -- 19+ years at the helm of Audi of America, who does a great job, typically of marketing across traditional and non-traditional media).

Because my wife and I have (thus far) kept to 3-year leases (and we drive over 18K miles per year), it seems -- almost literally -- that one or the other of us is always shopping for a replacement car as one or the other is coming off lease. Hence, we do tend to test drive, as noted at least 10 times per year. I completely understand if you are NOT in the market, not wanting to test drive. Conversely, as an "enthusiast" I would understand if someone test drove -- on the pro-am circuit -- 24 times per year even if they weren't in the market or in the mood, so to speak.

Posting here (and on Audiworld, for instance) gets our (my) interest up, so I am in the camp that favors staying "on the hunt." Potato, Potaato, kind of a thing.

Last night, got to drive a loaded IS 350 F Sport.

First impression (for the price) - better than the Q50S.
    First impression (price be damned) - still better than the Q50S

Felt tighter, more connected -- heck, it felt like a go-kart it was so connected to the road. Turn-in was sharper than a Ken Onion Shun chef's knife -- I am sure I could get used to it, but in Sport+ mode the thing DARTED with only small steering wheel inputs.

Felt "as if" it were electric, the power was so quick and smooth. I only got it to about 65 MPH.

Great sound system, fantastic seats (almost Audi good, in fact.)

Not so sure why the pros say the dash is the first premium offering from any manufacturer to better an Audi interior. Interior was nice, but seemed like looking at a staircase instead of a flowing piece cut from a single piece.

I'd put it on the list -- cause at $49K (including shipping), this seems to be a better bang for the buck than either the A4 Sline or the Q50S.

I've asked for a second, long, test drive -- we'll see if it holds up to further inspection.

Drive it like you live.

:surprise:
    "24 times per year even if they weren't in the market or in the mood, so to speak"

Who has that kind of time- even if you were in the market -24 times - that's crazy. Dealers must love you - yeah love the car- have to wait a year still have 23 more test drives to make sure this is the one. You and flight should car pool to these dealerships.
    Mark..

Being in Cincinnati, I'm sure that the Q50 was AWD, right? How about the IS350? RWD or AWD?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

edited September 2013
    We test about 10 cars per year, escalating, sometimes to 12 or 13 -- I never said we test drive 24 times annually (although we have friends who are well heeled who seem to get a new car every spring whether they need one or not -- meaning they test a LOT.)

Dealers -- from our experience with premium brands, that is -- do seem to "love" having their cars test driven. The Chrysler/Jeep dealer (on the other hand) asks "if you're going to buy today" and if you don't give the answer they obviously want, well, "see ya!"

Friend of ours used to work at Circuit City (remember them?) and he told me that he had two-minutes to spend with a customer and if there wasn't a clear indication that the person was going to buy TODAY, their mantra was "who's next?" Seems like the domestic auto dealers (Cadillac excluded) all have this "2 minute mindset" too.

My wife ordered her new Audi (delivery estimated at ~75-90 days) last week from a salesrep that has seen her smiling face numerous times over the last year (and we've test driven everything but an R8 and an A8) -- talk about the patience of Job. But, in the end she chose the $51K Audi over similarly priced BMWs, Volvos, Infinitis and Mercedes.

One point is (or could be) -- "no one buys a car without driving it" (according to the rep), so the more "drives" the reps have going on, the more likely it is they'll have sales; it is a numbers game, even for Premium Autos or perhaps especially for the premium autos, apparently.

Another point is (and often is) -- folks, Baby Boomers especially (not so much Millenials) like or love cars, like or love talking about them, blogging about them and driving them; so for some (especially like my wife) test driving serves a secondary purpose -- it's entertaining!

The only time I wasn't entertained was when we took out a new Lincoln -- couldn't get back to the dealership fast enough.

Drive it . . . you know . . .
    edited September 2013
    Hell, the Infiniti dealer told me they have zero, zip, nada plans to even STOCK RWD Q50's -- dealer trade or special order only for the RWD versions; so, yep, we test drove a Q50S/AWD with every option except the TECH Package (the package with the blind spot monitoring system). The AWD factoid should come as no shock especially since the 10th largest BMW store's sales manager told me "well over 50%" of the cars they sell are X-drive

Regarding BSM, it seems like so many brands offer Blind Spot Monitoring systems as a stand alone option (usually around $500-$600) -- Infiniti bundles it an a $3,000+ package of electronic nannies. Much as I like the Q50S AWD, I wouldn't get any new car without Blind Spot Monitoring, and I don't want my new car -- yet, if ever -- to be able to drive itself and fight me whenever I try.

So, the Q50S AWD is [probably] off the table -- but I can be bought.

The Lexus IS offers BSM for relatively cheap (like Audi and Volvo, to name two) -- so score another point for the IS (but the Audi offers it stand alone too, don't you know).

The IS 350 F Sport I drove was RWD -- the only one in Cincinnati (the only F Sport so they claim). I have already signed up to test the first AWD version of an IS 350 F Sport once they come in. I didn't even bother to get into a regular IS 350 AWD -- although IS's overall seem plentiful (it's just the F Sports that are in short supply -- which was blamed on the dealer's procurement mgr; he/they didn't think Lexus customers would clamor for the SPORT version of anything -- being that it is Lexus -- "a sofa on wheels" -- after all).

There's a new sheriff in town -- and his/her badge has a stylized "L" on it (look out BMW).

Drive it like you live.
    Well.. I was going to say... An AWD Infiniti with all-season tires would be a real pig compared to a RWD IS350 with summer rubber... Hard to make an apples-to-apples comparison...

And, I've got an AWD G37... and a BMW 3-series with sport and summer rubber, so I get to make that comparison, almost every week..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I found the IS 350 RWD F-Sport I drove to be a bit more cramped inside than an A4/S4. Both less leg room, less width, and a lower roof line. Roof line matters to me a lot, I'm 6'3" tall, and I'm not skinny anymore.

Granted, it was close, but it seemed the S4 was just a notch roomier in every way.

I didn't notice much if any difference when switching between Sport, Sport + and comfort/regular. I did notice a bigger difference in a pre-owned 2011 S4 when I was playing with comfort vs. dynamic.

I have to admit I preferred the steering weight and feeling in the '11 S4 and '09 335i I test drove over the '13 S4, which still felt better and more weighted than all others. I guess in recent years everyone has gone with electric steering for efficiency. It didn't change the mileage rating on the S4 so it must be .4 miles or less better per gallon.
    M6, sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

There is no comparison really, the Genesis is really a Korean E-class. Big, comfortable, and reliable. The styling is bland, but in a good way. The Impala isn't as roomy and doesn't have the "luxury" touches as the Genesis. However, for the price that Rick paid for his Genesis, I think the Genesis is the better deal.
    "You and flight should car pool to these dealerships."

Funny you mention that, was at the BMW dealer Wed night, drove a 320i, since BMW is giving 2,500K credit, towards purchasing a 2013 3 series. People criticize the 320i, but as a occasional driver it's not a bad car, Premium package, Sport package is $39,950, costco auto program $36,750 so far give price of $35,900 plus tax and lic. This does not include the $2500. I'm going with the BMW Select Financing, don't know if I'm going with the 48 or 60 month. I was told BMW has a special rate with the 48 months, but the sale manager has to get back with me.

While at the dealership, they have two 3 series GT's, have to say, lots of room in it much more so then what I figured, they also have 4 328d's, didn't drive one, I might tomorrow just to see what it drives like.

Sweeny, it's nice to sit at home and read car magazines and bench talk about cars, however, getting out and test driving them is a whole different story, as Mark stated, the Germans want to go for a test drive, what i found is, they want a stat a relationship with the client, something that the domestic dealers lack and asians. Once you are in the fiance office it's NEXT. The guy I deal with at BMW knows me, he knows I'll buy again, and I am. If I bought a ford, I doubt that same sales person would be at the same dealer 6 months from now.
    edited September 2013
    I can't remember if the "cause" is local or if all BMW dealers do what is done at one of the dealerships here in River City: About once a year (it could be more) I get an invitation in the mail, followed up with a voice mail message inviting my wife and me to test drive as many BMW's as we want (all in a single day).

As I recall, the dealership has a huge grill that they keep fired up cooking brats, metts and hamburgers. They have veggies, cookies, sodas, bottled water and (in the dealership) a Starbucks - lite. All the food and other things offered (a goodies bag) are no-charge.

What they are doing, I assume, is pimping their cars in the most subtle way possible. They tell you that for every car you drive and every mile you drive it, they will make a donation to the [breast] Cancer society (something like that.) And, after you have taken so many cars out you get a little sticker or pin that proclaims you helped raise money for the cure.

Naturally when there is free food and drink and cool cars to drive, the place is packed. My wife and I drove an X6 (she had an X3 at the time) and she loved it (conceptually). Now she didn't buy one, but of all the cars we drove that day, the ruby red metallic X6 was the subject of a number of subsequent conversations.

Altruism? I'll go so far as to say "possibly" since there was money raised for a good cause. Yet, the buzz generated by this "forced" test driving has to be worth a lot of TV ads and other marketing expenses -- don't you think?

And, we actually got to drive some pretty cool cars (there was no M5 in inventory, however), eat some good burgers, mingle with a bunch of other BMW (or perhaps just premium car) geeks and raise money for a good cause. Seems like a great idea -- get folks to drive "everything" pump them up, "don't forget to breathe" signs were hung everywhere -- it was a blast.

The point is, if you like these premium cars and you blog about them, belong to and participate in forums about them -- you might just be like the characters on "The Big Bang" who are always playing D&D, shopping for comic books and buying memorabilia -- even though they are PhD's working for a prestigious university.

I would guess many of us here posting are closet (or maybe we have come out of said closet) car geeks -- we drink our coffee out of fill-in-the-blank logo'd coffee cups (in my case Audi, in my wife's case BMW), we have "expensive" logo'd polo shirts, jackets and key fobs proclaiming our affinity for our favorite brand (lots of BMW jackets here in Cincinnapolis, for example) and so forth.

To this day, Audi sends me expensive brochures and from time to time a hardcopy book (25 years of quattro, kind of thing); but, to be fair, so does Lincoln, even though we only took a short test drive of one of them and couldn't get out of it fast enough the test drive was so bad.

Ahhh, its the weekend -- and we're on the hunt for a replacement for my 2012 Acura TL SH-AWD. My wife says we're testing a new ATS (already tested the CTS -- not the 2014 -- and found it wanting) and a new A4 or S4 or both. I recently drove an A6 with the 220HP four cylinder, and I thought it was pretty sweet, maybe we'll do that too -- with the sport suspension if possible.

What a great time to be in the market.

DILYL.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    edited September 2013
    I can't remember if the "cause" is local or if all BMW dealers do what is done at one of the dealerships here in River City: About once a year (it could be more) I get an invitation in the mail, followed up with a voice mail message inviting my wife and me to test drive as many BMW's as we want (all in a single day).

That was the Susan G. Komen Ultimate Drive. It was an event done by corporate and is "feel good" marketing. AFAIK, BMW decided to stop funding the event back in 2010.

An outside company toured nationwide with a fleet of cars. The dealers paid to have the event stop at their store and they providesd food, sales people, et al.
    Yeah.. the whole flap with Planned Parenthood put the kibosh on that deal, I think... It almost killed the Komen organization..

It's too bad... I loved doing that event.. got to drive a lot of upscale models that I'll never be in the market for....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator