Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Mark...you'll get not rebuttal from me regarding the S4. Drop the "pearlescent" paint, the hi-zoot seats, and the "whatzatstuff" trim, and you should be able to make a case for a low $50-ish check with your dealer (but you'll probably have to go to Beechmont Audi to make that score).

S4 w/Premium Plus, B&O stereo, DSG should get you to that ballpark.

Now, if they could just make it so they can keep it out of its 2nd home in the dealer's service bay..........

I read the same rags as you. Never could understand why they don't include an S4 in those Sport/Lux comparisons. I can't see how it would lose against the usual suspects.

That 3.0 S/C motor is under rated by Audi. the BMW 3.0L dual scroll turbo is really good. The Audi 3.0 S/C is better. Torque can be found everywhere. And, the DSG is the best transmission I've ever used....on any car, at any price. Ride, handling...superb. The S4 steering should make BMW uber jealous.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    Your findings on the S4 are the same as mine.

Sounds like that new fabulous Infiniti isn't swaying you guys.

Congratulations on the S4, I know when I had my Audi I really loved it.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    Thanks, well, if it performs as reliably as my '06 A3 with 104K+ miles, I'll be a very happy camper.

If it ends up in the shop as much as Graphic Guy's '13 S4, I'll need a lemon law lawyer on standby to get me an exchange for a "good" one.

Had a Southern CA Audi Club driving event this last weekend, and no one was complaining about their recent model S4 and S5's. A lot of S4's and S5's by the way, a higher percentage certainly of the total cars than in years past. One TTS, one R8, and one RS5 for good measure too.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    My friend didn't remember the particulars of the exact sale price. The MSRP was in the $37 - $38K neighborhood

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

andres3....don't use my experience as a measuring stick. I came to the conclusion a while ago that both dealers around me have relatively inept service depts. But, as long as they keep me in some nice loaners (which they have), I'll put up with it...at least until the new '15 TLs come out.

I'm half tempted to pull a sweet deal on a '13-'14 TL given the deals they're making. I really did like what they did with the '13 my sister bought....they made a lot of subtle refinements and updates that made the whole car a nicer piece.
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    Even with all the revisions, the 2013 TL (especially the 'Base' model) is not appealing to me in the least. It's not blatantly hideous like the 2009 version, but it's so bland looking down the boring wheel design. The Special Edition looks much better, IMO.

I went by the Acura dealer near my office last week and they had 11 or 12 2013 Base TL models lined up with $31,900 plastered on the windshield. They were all Bellanova White Pearl (Iridescent Beige) or Basque Red Pearl II (similar to the color of a bloodclot)! But they had one Graphite TL Special Edition on the showroom floor and it looked so much better!

I'm anxious to see what becomes of the TL/TSX (TLX?) in the near future....
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • sichin2000sichin2000 Member Posts: 6
    Having leased the original 335i (before kids) it was the best drive I ever had even tho it was in the shop for a blown accessory belt and the High Pressure Fuel pump. The service, loaner car and refund of a lease payment does offset the inconvenience.

I am jumping back into a sedan after a few years in the people mover - MDX. I can't decide on a daily driver that can handle east coast weather: S4, 335ix or CLA-45.

They all price out similarly - although the AMG is a smaller class and in high demand - pre-order wait lists.
    S4: Bland styling (I had a 02 A4 1.8t and there hasn't been much change)
    335ix - Been there, and now bogging it down with x-drive
    AMG: Will it fit a booster and carseat?

My heart says AMG, accountant/Dad says 335 or S4. I am starting to feel too old for the AMG and maybe the S4 styling is aimed at my demographic.
  • flightnurseflightnurse Member Posts: 2,217
    S4: Bland styling (I had a 02 A4 1.8t and there hasn't been much change)

Just by your comment means you haven't driven one.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    I took that statement referring to the design exclusively...meaning there hasn't been a dramatic change in design; such as the new impala compared to the old one.

Personally I feel it, the S4, is one of the best designs out there.

I'd image (haven't driven it) that the difference between the 1.8 and the S4 are worlds apart...
    LOL, the difference between the 1.8 T and 2.0T is worlds apart if you ask me, and that's the 200 HP 2.0T version.

The current A4 has more power and torque yet, and well, the S4 uses the supercharged 3.0 V6.

To each there own, the CLA just doesn't do anything for me style wise, and I'm suspicious the interior will be downgraded quite a bit.

I wonder how the AMG version of the CLA will compare with the C63.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • sichin2000sichin2000 Member Posts: 6
    I know - it was just a frame of reference for styling and how Audi used to be the leader and now seems stale and now Benz is the most progressive.

No doubt, I had a loaner 2.0t and yes its worlds apart and 335i was galaxies apart. No S4 experience but I would guess it is a notch above 335 and the AMG will be the quickest if not most fun.

I saw the CLA in the showroom and the interior is clearly not the same as E class and probably on par in size with the 1.8t. Which is why I am reconsidering the S4 if for the same price I gain some comfyness and giving up some points in style. I am hoping as the S3 releases, Audi will be tweaking the S4 and maybe giving incentives.
    For me I still can't get over how the C-class cars, (and I'm guessing the CLA) don't have body colored roof seams (or even better, no roof seam rails at all (ala VW/Audi).

BMW at least paints the plastic roof seam/rail trim. The remodel of the C-class interior recently was a pretty good job, thank goodness, the previous generation got outclassed by some economy cars.

I did like the way the rear drive sport C250 and C300 I test drove handled, but felt they were overpriced for what you got.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    The interior of the S4 with two options -- upgraded seats and the "pinstripe suit" dash trim is drop dead gorgeous.

Drive an S4 with the DSG transmission; put the transmission into "S" and be treated to mind reading awe inspiring performance -- without the torque vectoring rear (sport) diff even.

Feel -- or perhaps better said "sense" -- the car downshift as you slow, smoother than anyone could shift a stick and without any pause. There aren't enough o's in smoooth to describe this, it must be, begs to be driven. A deep well of torque awaits your command with zero lag -- whoosh, it is like upgrading your iPhone 5 to the new operating system and watching your email client make the jump to light speed.

Here is my regret -- the difference between the 2.0T and the 3.0T "A" and "S" 4 is a chasm a giant, deep and wide chasm. The A4 needs to be offered with the 3.0T engine as it is offered in the Q5 3.0T. Also, for some price, the DSG transmission ought to be offered on the 2.0T, the milder 3.0T and the wilder 3.0T (as it is already there).

Were Audi to offer the 8-speed tip and the 7-speed DSG across the board (of three engines), I would look forward to win after win after win for these sport ,sedans: the A4, the AS4 and the S4. Nice as the new IS 350 F Sport is, I would expect the AS4 and with absolute certainly the S4 to be seeing the IS's LED's in its rearview mirror.

And, for the money -- in this league -- the S4 and the 335 would be competitive (with each other, at least). Of course the IS and even the ATS can certainly be considered the value leaders; yet, the Q50/S is already so highly subvented (and it is likely to remain thus until its issues are behind it) that even with its faults is an attractive alternative for those who want an upscale high content premium car.

A friend of mine used to say Audi's are for the left-brainers and BMW's are for the right-brainers -- meaning that "programmers" drove Audis and the Vice-president of Sales drove BMWs. I think now the Q50 has become the "programmers" [geek squad] car and, well, these days "everyone wants to be Audi."

Treat yourself -- take a nice long test drive in a 2014 S4 with the DSG transmission -- you may be worthy. Me? I'm still not worthy -- but I'm working on it.

DILYL
    335i vs S4. Have owned both. S4 wins.

I've test driven Benzs in the past. Almost pulled the trigger on a c350 4 matic coupe that the (then) GF wanted. I agree. For that money, you can get an S5.

I also looked at a C300 before I bought the 335i. Once again, I could never see the MB being able to match, let alone exceed, the drive of the BMW for the same money.

CLA is a lesser version of all those cars, even in AMG guise.

Personally, I'd test drive the S4. As others have said, that's what will hook you. I'd also look at the IS350, for no other reason than all the positive press it has received, just to see if it fits what you're looking for.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    The CLA has been the cause of a decent amount of journalistic drool for months and months and months. The tarted up version has caused some who write about cars and get paid for doing so to be unabashedly aroused, in fact.

Check out the comments about the upcoming A3 -- I don't have them right in front of me, but the gist is something like "the new A3 is everything we all wanted the CLA to be -- and there is an S3 version coming shortly after the A3 quattro hits showrooms next year."

Can't believe I'm saying this: IMHO, BMW -- a brand that I love AND think is breathtakingly expensive -- looks like a bargain compared to any Mercedes I can think of. Would love to see an S4 reviewed side by side with a comparably PRICED Mercedes.

The S4 would be high contented compared to the Merc and the S4 would make the worthy opposition sweat.

Me? Again, I am looking for content and performance and bang for the buck. Hate to say it, but the IS 350 F-Sport makes a compelling case (when compared to even the god-like S4).

You know, all the criticism about Infiniti and Lexus bringing out new cars with "old" engines does have merit. But, even so, the IS 350 seems to win the pros over in spite of its "old" engine. I get sweaty palms just imagining what would happen if Lexus told its engineers to make the requisite changes to the 350's powerplant to allow it to accept either a super or turbo charger. :surprise:

"Happy motoring and back to the freeway which is already in progress." Firesign Theatre
    If your 6'2" or taller the IS350 may still be a tad "small" for your tastes.

I'm 6'3" and I'm not sure I'd fit in one even with the seat all the way down if I had a helmet on.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    I'm 6'3" and I'm not sure I'd fit in one even with the seat all the way down if I had a helmet on.

Luckily, most of us don't need to judge a vehicle based on helmet space.

:)
    You guys are making me want to take an IS350 for a test drive. Might as well take a gander at the GS350 while I'm at it.;)
    I saw the CLA in the showroom and the interior is clearly not the same as E class and probably on .

Which dealer since they are not due in the showrooms until Late Nov or early Dec?
    FN...it seems like they've had the CLA announced for a year. But, as you say, they aren't even in the showrooms, yet. By the time they hit, all that "pre"-delivery marketing will have been forgotten.
    Saw an IS350 AWD F Sport & Q50 for the 1st time on Saturday night. I had to do a double take when I saw the Infiniti. Thought it was a Jaguar XF at 1st. Looks so much better in person than in print and on TV. Style wise, it definitely looks the part of a $50,000 Sport Sedan.

The IS350 F Sport definitely makes a statement as well. It definitely will not be confused for a thin else on the road. I liked it!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,056
    My local MB dealer had several CLA's on the lot Saturday when I stopped by. All were priced around $36-37K. Did not get a chance to sit in one as they were mobbed by customers.

Since I'm new to the premium market I can't tell you if the CLA interior is the same as or worse than anything else in the lineup.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Michaell...thanks for the update. I'm mildly interested in the CLA. But, from a sports sedan perspective, my antenna tell me it's going to fall short. I've never really been a fan of MB interiors, either.

That said, there are those who love the styling of the CLA...especially given its 3/4 of a CLS type of view.

NY....I'm trying hard to like the Q50. Granted, I haven't driven one, yet. But, I'm not even luke warm about the styling. Now, that they've softened it up (as all the trade rags state), I can't find a reason to visit an Infiniti showroom....maybe as a curiosity, but little more.

All of that is personal preference, however. I'm sure Infiniti will be OK, as will Mercedes. As much as the CLA trails its competition in the performance dept, they'll sell every one they can get their hands on because it has a Mercedes logo on the front.
    gg - with your past experience with the 335i and S4, I suspect the only iteration of the CLA that will interest you is the CLA 45 - the AMG version with the 355HP 4-cylinder.

What I've read about that car is that it's a real rocket, perhaps a competitor for the S4.

But, isn't Audi refreshing the A3 to be a sedan only, and that a 300 HP S3 will be available down the road?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

Graphicguy - I wonder if you might take a liking to the CLA 45 AMG...?

I have to scratch my head, I was in Montvale, NJ before heading on vacation and spoke to a factory rep who was driving a CLA, who told me they MB hasn't released them yet, so I went and checked the three MB in Phoenix, 1 has 12, 1 has stock photos of them and VIN# for them with prices and the other doesn't even list they have any on their web site. I like the interior and exterior of the car, but I don't think it will have the driving dynamic that we look for in a car. The back seats are very cramp....
    but I don't think it will have the driving dynamic that we look for in a car.

I don't think most folks who buy / lease a CLA will know it's FWD.

I suspect that what they will most care about is the $299/mo lease payment and the 3-pointed star on the hood.

It is small, that's for sure. Is MB thinking of offering the B-class here in the states?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Is MB thinking of offering the B-class here in the states?

Only in EV mode. MB announced back in March it would be coming in early 2014.
    Michaell....you may be right, and that I would like the AMG CLA. But, reading these types of reviews isn't making me want to venture over to the Mercedes showroom any time soon....

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/columnist/healey/2013/09/28/test-drive-merce- des-benz-cla/2879843/
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    I think the CLA, not having driven it, will be competitive given it's price. It seemed the reviewers wanted E class refinement in a $30k vehicle.

$30K allots a near 260 ft-lb torque, near 1200 rpm, and 7 speed dual clutch tranny; exceptional styling and 30 mpg average. The "stats" seem impressive but we'll see if this translates into a competitive overall package. This is the price of a loaded Mazda 3 and Focus...that $30k of course is a "base" MB. Fancy wheels and pretty lights dress it up even more.
    $30K allots a near 260 ft-lb torque, near 1200 rpm, and 7 speed dual clutch tranny; exceptional styling and 30 mpg average. The "stats" seem impressive but we'll see if this translates into a competitive overall package. This is the price of a loaded Mazda 3 and Focus...that $30k of course is a "base" MB. Fancy wheels and pretty lights dress it up even more.

A loaded 2014 Mazda 3 has quite a bit of technology on it. Blind spot warning, lane departure warning, radar cruise control, bi-xenon headlights, etc.

Not sure that you can order a CLA with the same options; if you could, I'm sure you'd quickly find yourself in the mid to high 30's for price.

I suspect that the $30K CLA will be a 'unicorn' - unobtainable at the dealer.

And, I doubt that many people will cross shop a Mazda 3s GT with a CLA 250.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Maybe not - Mercedes is chasing the sales crown hard.

"Mercedes-Benz dealers, said Cannon, are "showing interest" in ordering and stocking examples of the CLA 250 "around the base price." He adds that because of the CLA250's comprehensive list of standard equipment — particularly advanced safety hardware — a base-priced model is no stripper and would be deemed by many buyers as fully meeting their expectations."

Mercedes Dealers May Keep Lid on 2014 CLA250 Prices as Brand Pushes to Record Sales Year
    "Mercedes-Benz dealers, said Cannon, are "showing interest" in ordering and stocking examples of the CLA 250 "around the base price."

Showing interest and actually having them are two different things.....
    I agree on many points you stated, that could be said for most expensive cars, it's about being seen and in what not the technology that is in the car or that was used to built the car.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I bet when push comes to shove, the $5,000 in options will be demanded by the consumer, especially the lease and payment buyers.
  • skobolaskobola Member Posts: 207
    Is anyone bothered with MB CLA being a front wheel drive (FWD) car? My last FWD car was a 1986 Audi A4, and since then, I have been driving Bimmers exclusively, mainly because of the dynamics of the RWD, aside of Bimmers being the Ultimate Driving Machine(s). However, I like the looks of a CLA, as well as the price of it, which I consider to be quite competitive, especially when one gets into ELPS.
  • dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,162
    edited October 2013
    MB is not trying to sell CLA to anybody in this forum. Look at the Willliam Dafoe commercial and you know who their target audience is. Those people wouldn't know if the car is FWD, RWD, AWD, propelled by jet engine, or rotor in the back. BTW, not to know Mercedes, same applies to majority of 3-series buyers, or any other car/truck/brand. Probably 25% of population understands the difference and 5% actually cares.

The rest knows the engine, because it makes the noise while driving, but transmission is already a word they heard, but have no clue what it does. Front- or rear wheel drive... Something to do with food drive we have every year for the poor? Or if their mind is dirty, then perhaps libido?

2018 430i Gran Coupe

I agree on many points you stated, that could be said for most expensive cars,

Here's the thing, as I see it .... the premium manufacturers are all bringing in 'entry level' models (CLA, 320i, A3) with an attractive base price. Said price is promoted heavily, but when Mr. or Mrs. Consumer goes into the dealership to find a car at that price point, they are severely disappointed.

Some may choose to spend the extra $$$ to get the options they want; others may walk out frustrated.

I suppose it's managed risk on the part of the manufacturers to capture the former at the risk of losing the latter.

A dangerous game, me thinks.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    I think a lot more people spending $30-40k on a car know FWD from RWD than you think. They just don't care that much about it. It's not stupidity....it's priority. And knowing the mechanicals inside and out is just not a priority. My wife know virtually nothing about cars but she can tell you that our truck is RWD, our Acura is AWD and our Mazda is FWD.
    Either way, they don't care.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

Value buyers would be frustrated, badge buyers, like the kid in the CLA commercial, would take that three arm star and low payment, even with plastic interior.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

I agree that MB is looking to "hook" the 30-ish person who might might be looking at a loaded Accord or Camry (which in my mind, would be the better buy all loaded up with a V6).

Plus, I have to wonder what that 30-ish person, the one who's interested in going to Jiffy Lube for a $35 oil change, is going to think when they pull into MB's service bay and comes out with a $250 routine maintenance bill?

Again, as most think, the looks alone will sell the car. As it gets a couple of years old, and the CLA owner's friends are all talking about how cheap their Accord is to drive and maintain, if Benz can keep them in the fold?

Even a 320i will cost that 30-ish person nothing to maintain for 4 years.

Maybe I'm being too harsh. But, these are the things that come immediately to mind with the CLA.
    I don't think you're being too harsh, gg. These are all good points you make.

I suspect that most folks don't think about the cost of ownership ... they only see the low lease payment and jump in.

I find it interesting that only BMW covers maintenance for the first 4 years / 50K miles. If I were comparing at 320i against the CLA that would certainly factor into my decision.

Or, will many customers go the way of nyc, who leased his BMW but is now considering a Honda as his next car?

I'm trying to get the wife on board with a low-cost lease of a 3rd car we could share. She's got a Mazda CX-7 with almost 40K on the clock as her DD, and I've got an '06 ION with 96K that I'll keep as a winter car and part-time pizza delivery vehicle.

I'd like to find a lease in the $300-350/mo range of something that gets better mileage than the CX-7 (20-21 in mixed use) and is fun to drive. The CLA and 320i both fit the bill, I think. I looked at the Lexus CT200h last weekend; it's pretty nice inside and 40MPG is outstanding, but not sure it would provide the 'fun' I'm looking for.

The maintenance costs of the BMW over 3 years would be $0; not sure what they'd be for the CLA.

Just thinking out loud; we'll see what happens next summer when the wife finishes her Masters in Education.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Even a 320i will cost that 30-ish person nothing to maintain for 4 years.

Except of course for tires ($1000+ for RFTs every 2 years), alignments ($120-$200 every year or so) and some other stuff pushy "service advisors" would try to sell. Well, that of course depends on the actual tire, there may be some cheaper ones and alignment is not mandatory, but probably well-advised. To my surprise, tire stores would not touch my 328 for alignment, so I have only a dealer or specialised indy garage. I'm glad I found one close to my workplace, their prices seem to be higher than "standard" brands, but much lower than my friendly dealer. When the paid maintenance period is over, I'll likely end up in their bay full time, not just for those alignments.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

This vehicle - like the 320/325 - are offered to meet a price point. Notice that all the advertising on the CLA is targeted to the price. Heck, you can lease one for $349 a month with $3600 down.

For $400 more down, you can lease a C250 at the same price.
    If you want 320 without maintenance, make sure you don't get sports line. Its summer tires will go at 20-25K, other lines have all-seasons, which may last the whole lease, but they may go around 30K-35K, just before you turn it it. You may get away with skipping alignment for three years, I guess, especially if you don't need to change tires before the lease is up.

Either way, it would be less than CLA, even if tires/alignment are needed.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    edited October 2013
    I dont think FWD will hurt sales.

The CLA has everything it needs to be a huge success - it has a three pointed emblem on the hood, it looks really good, it has a three pointed emblem on the hood, its cheap to lease, and finally, it has a three pointed emblem on the hood.
    Michaell.....$300-$350 lease? That should be right in the 320i wheelhouse.

Can't understand why, but Audi leases are dismal compared to BMW or Mercedes leases.

You can probably throw in an IS250 lease around that range.

Until I get seat time in a CLA (which isn't in the foreseeable future), I really don't know how I'll view it. I only know that I was underwhelmed by the C350. I can't imagine I would miraculously like the CLA in light of those feelings. But, who knows? Maybe that AMG CLA will be right up my alley.

Fed....I do agree with you....that 3 pointed star will sell a lot of CLAs....at least in the first year or so...until those maintenance $$$ start to kick in.

I know looking at the maintenance schedule and costs looked pretty steep to me a couple of years ago when we were looking at the C350 coupe. And, those types of things rarely bother me.

Then again, it's not like the Audi has been at the pinnacle of easy and cheap maintenance by any stretch of the imagination.

Which gets us right back to the Acura....easy-peezy on reliability and maintenance.
    And, I doubt that many people will cross shop a Mazda 3s GT with a CLA 250.

I cross-shopped the Mazda 3 with the A3 back in '06. It happens.

Unicorns seem to be able to be "custom-ordered" at dealers, you just have to wait for it (at least with the European dealers).
    I agree, Mercedes and their Chrysler-like horrible reliability (at least while joined at the hip with them) scares me, even to this day.

Also, I know a great and honest Audi mechanic who charges a reasonable rate, I know of no such Benz shops. $250 oil changes would scare me away. Maybe they made the CLA simple and oil changes will be under $100 at the dealers in the US?