Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• louisweilouiswei Member Posts: 3,715
    Check it out yourself, use zip code 30360 with Lexus' "Build your GS". Lexus (and Toyota) is funny, different area has different packages and the Southeastern region is a lot different than the others. That's another reason I would like to find out which Lexus dealer he was referring to.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Base MSRP* $46,100.00
    • Standard Features

Available Packages $5,265.00
    • Navigation System/Mark Levinson® Audio System Package with Additional Options
    - Navigation System/Mark Levinson® Audio System Package
    - Rain-sensing variable intermittent windshield wipers with mist control, headlamp washers and Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS)
    - Intuitive Parking Assist
    - Power rear-window sunshade
    - Ventilated front seats
    - Rear spoiler

Accessory Options $0.00
    • Rain-sensing variable intermittent windshield wipers with mist control, headlamp washers and Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS) Included
    • Intuitive Parking Assist Included
    • Power rear-window sunshade Included
    • Ventilated front seats Included
    • Rear spoiler Included

Delivery, Processing & Handling Fee† $715.00

Total MSRP** $52,080.00
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Wait a second. To get AFS lights you need to get 3 packages?!!!

Why is it the Japanese won't sell everything ala carte? If it's not standard equipment, it should be an option.

Dumb, dumb, dumb pricing model. So a 32k car is really about 39k with afs lights, performance tires and moonroof. Still cheap but good grief!

I guess 37k should be easy then. That's a hair less than a 335i with the features I normally get.

And don't start in with the "well this will have x,y and z". I realize that. Navi, back up screens, etc are pretty worthless to me.
  • richey02hgrichey02hg Member Posts: 69
    whats the website you are getting the infiniti prices from?

also, what is in the premium package? and so does that mean if I get a regular G35 with auto transmission I cant get a navigation system? Also curious as to what the difference is between a standard G35 and a journey

I wish Lexus and Infiniti would just follow Acura's of making pretty much everything standard and the only options are a nav system and exterior things (spoilers, rims, etc etc) I dont like how Lexus quotes something like starting as low as 31,000 or whatever it is but then you come to find out you can't ever get the IS for that price because you are required to get a package.
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    I wish Lexus and Infiniti would just follow Acura's of making pretty much everything standard and the only options are a nav system and exterior things (spoilers, rims, etc etc)...

Why? So I can pay for, and be stuck with, crap that I don't want, need, or even care for?
  • 03accordman03accordman Member Posts: 671
    I was invited to the G35 launch party by my local dealer yesterday; got a chance to check it out (no drives). The car looks pretty good; and the interior is far and away better than the previous G. The display car was a G35 Sport and was fully loaded with Nav et al. Listed for 39,500. I would say one should be able to get a very nicely optioned one for around 35k.

One thing I noticed; the sport seats have auto side bolster adjustment on the seat back as well as the lower part of the seat. Will report back after I drive one....
    whats the website you are getting the infiniti prices from?

Try "The All-new 306-hp 2007 G Sedan" link at the bottom right hand corner at the Infiniti website (www.infiniti.com).
  • richey02hgrichey02hg Member Posts: 69
    thank you..i was just looking at the top :) these are due out in november right? I thought I was sold on a TL, but the G35 is making me rethink this one
  • drewsrxdrewsrx Member Posts: 57
    However, there are still some options which the IS and 3er offer and the G doesn't have.

What are those options exactly?
  • ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    "Why is it the Japanese won't sell everything ala carte? If it's not standard equipment, it should be an option."

Acura does (except for a manual tranny option in the TL for 07).
  • drewsrxdrewsrx Member Posts: 57
    I guess 37k should be easy then. That's a hair less than a 335i with the features I normally get.

What features would you normally get?

A stripper model 335i sedan with just (Real Leather & Sports Package) costs $42,920.

IMHO, $6,000 isn't a "hair less."

I just priced out a fully loaded 335i sedan and it came out to be $53,865.
  • pegasuszzpegasuszz Member Posts: 31
    Remember that the CPO programs were built to deal with the volume of cars coming off-lease. Mfs wanted to stop those from competing closely with new car sales *except* to the extent the mfr themselves can make money off the sale. So,
    CPO
    1. Raises the price of used vehicles, which makes new more attractive
    2. Raises residual values on new cars, which also makes the NEW vehicle sale more attractive
    2a. Because of 2, mfr can keep the MSRP up on new, and may avoid discounts or incentives.
    3. When the mfr buys back off-lease cars, they can determine when + where they go back on market, again with an eye towards supporting new car sales.
    4. The mfr gets a fee to place a car in the program.

Notice that "saving you money" was not one of the business reason for creating the program. So CPO is useful for vehicles that probably won't ring up non-covered repairs or non-covered annoyances - typically 'Lexus' or Acura'. Any leased vehicle was is less likely to have been well cared for.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    "Notice that "saving you money" was not one of the business reason for creating the program. So CPO is useful for vehicles that probably won't ring up non-covered repairs or non-covered annoyances - typically 'Lexus' or Acura'. Any leased vehicle was is less likely to have been well cared for."

Just as an fyi, any company I do business with does not want to "save me money", in fact, they want to extract more money from me.
    What are those options exactly?

For example...

Ventilated front seats (heat and cool)
    knee airbags (standard on IS)
    stardard 13 speakers + subwoofer (G35 has standard of 6 speakers)
    Radar cruise

I know for some these are not important options (for me as well, I don't have any of these except the stardard airbags and audio system). However I am just trying to back up my previous statement. ;)
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Use zip code 20815 for Chevy Chase Maryland and you can get a GS350 AWD with Navigation and (forced to buy) $400 ventilated seats for $49,065.

So, I guess I was unintentionally correct, Lexus apparantly does assume folks from Atlanta are unable or unwilling to shop around other regions and, therefore, forces you to buy a $5,000+ package just to get a bloody Nav system. :confuse:

I think I better stop before I get fired up. Lexus may build a reliable luxury car, but deep down I still find they do too many things like this BS crap in Atlanta that remind me of their bush league parent, Toyota. And, with the DC area Toyota dealers like Darcars, Rosenthal and a few others, "bush league" is a compliment. Acura's pricing policy throughout the US is about as straight as they come. I'm pretty sure Infiniti doesn't have a "regional" package pricing strategy. I know BMW and Porsche charge the same price for individual options to everyone in the US and don't insult Southerners' intelligence. So why is it that Lexus is mooning Atlanta buyers with the "take it or leave it, you can only buy it this way" attitude? :confuse:
    Apparently there is a long history why us Southeasterners got screwed when purchasing a Toyota or Lexus. It was something like in the Southeast there is an individual distributing center whom purchase the car from Toyota/Lexus then distribute them to the Southeastern dealers. Everywhere else in the country the dealers deal with Toyota/Lexus directly. The reason for that is way back in the 60's/70's when Toyota was trying to explore the Southeastern market they need some local support so today they are stuck with this "Southeastern Distributor".

I know this is BS and I complained to my dealer when I was ordering my IS. My sales told me that if I was willing to wait 4 months then he can special order one for me and I can have whatever I want on it. I told him BS and just choose the basic option (18" wheel and accessories). The only other options that I really want are the ventilated seats and HID lights. But in order to get the ventilated seats I'll have to order the $2000 package with the woodtrims which I don't want and to have the HID I have to get the $4000 package with all the bollognies which some I don't even recognize. :sick:

Luckily so far I am very happy with my IS350.
    I would definitely do ED for my 335 (as I did for my 2006 e90 330i - 35.7k). With leather, sport package, comfort access and PDC (swivel xenons and moonroof are standard) it's a bit over 37k ED.

Things that i demand: 6 speed manual, leather, xenon, sport package, moonroof, swivel headlights (once ya have 'em, ya never wanna leave em), comfort access/keyless go.

I'll give the G35 a spin next year (08 models) as I need to order my next car around Dec 08 if I want to beat the end of my lease.
  • keitha3keitha3 Member Posts: 124
    Me too. :)
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Swivel headlights...

They bother me.. I always leave the swivel part disabled..

That is just me, though....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Leave the swivel disabled? Didn't know you could disable 'em.

Wow, after just 7 months with swivels, they seem to go with xenons like peanut butter and jelly. I turn, the headlights do the same and I'm as giddy as a nerd before a new star wars movie.

Makes for some fun, illuminating drives in the boonies.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Well.. Ours is an E46.. and the swivel only works when you have the headlights in automatic mode... with the switch to the left.. When the switch is in the normal ON position to the right.... no swivel.

EDIT: I do love the xenons..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Cool. It may be so with the e90 too. I've always had the lights in the auto position and I glossed over that stuff while reading the manual. Programming the OBC was more important to me at the time. Guess I can look back at the manual...it's on my work computer somewhere. :)
  • billyperks1billyperks1 Member Posts: 151
    Habitat-My beloved TL-S is no longer with me, I sold it back in September to some guy in the neighborhood.
    You know I would not come on these boards and lie about pricing.Lexus of Westport in Connecticut was willing to sell me the GS350 AWD on September 30 2006 at around 9:15 am for 44k.I was the first customer that morning and I was attended to after their morning meeting.Take that to the bank LOUIE.
  • franklynfranklyn Member Posts: 8
    How do you see the 2007 TL pricing compared to the G35?
  • starman98starman98 Member Posts: 119
    I beliieve the G35 shares some parts/components with the Altima. Hence the Altima is being redesigned this year as well.
  • esfoadesfoad Member Posts: 210
    Actually Altima shares a platform with the Maxima. They are both FWD. The G35 shares a platform with the M series, the FX series and the Nissan 350Z.
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Does anyone have any feedback on the comparison with the current 330 vs. the S4?

I was interested in the driving dynamics considering the I6 vs. the 4.2L. The Audi does have some extra 300 lbs. but 40 more ponies to compensate.

Thanks,
    OW
    330 is no more. Unless you're talking about last year's 2006 model. It's the 335 now. The S4's a good 9k more than the 335i sedan. 9k in mods can make an already fast (sub 5 second 0-60 runs for the 335) 335i ludicrously fast.
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    Paul,

76' years old. Well I congratulate you on your longevity pal. I hope many years to follow you pal. I'm almost 28 yrs. old and hope to make it as long as you have "god willing" and hope many good drives in your G35 await you. ;)

Yes the G35 is a nice piece and if the Cadillac CTS, can match what the G35 delivers then GM, will have a helluva a car. :)

Rocky
    Give it time. I'm sure the tuners were already salivating at the thought of "tuning up" a 335. The 335 with the auto transmission, recorded sub-5 second run. I'm sure these mods won't come cheap.

The value crowd will eschew these upgrades and still proclaim the G35 "value" king. :)
    i'd guess 700-800 bones for a good cpu upgrade. Dinan will probably charge in excess of 1k but then again, the warranty hit won't come along. I know I'd be happy to drop $1500 if it meant my car had 50 more hp and 50 ft-lbs of torque.
    Dear Blue,

If you get this upgrade and you are leasing, I ssume there would be a problem. Does Dinan installed mean the warrantee remains intact? Ice checked out their website but do not recall how this would work.

Best Regards,
    OW
    1. Dinan is sanctioned by BMW and fully supported. BMW dealers perform the install. Dinan mods make zero difference on a lease.

2. The chip upgrades I'm seeing are actually chips/systems that piggyback on the existing ecu. You can yank them off before returning the car for warranty work. Again, makes no difference on a lease (assuming you take it off).
    Finally saw the coupe this morning on the I95, it looks like my 1999 Mazda Millenia from behind, which is a good thing.I have not seen the sedan as of yet but I have to say I like the Coupe.But then again, neither are on my short list for my next purchase.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national newspaper is looking to interview consumers who have recently purchased a luxury car for the first time and about why you decided to purchase a luxury car. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Friday, November 10, 2006 by 2:00 PM PST/5:00 EST containing your daytime contact information.
  • dougiexdougiex Member Posts: 6
    I hope for Infiniti's sake that one of the trim levels actually provide all the options and accessories except maybe a few such as Navigation.

I hate choosing and mixing and matching options which is the main reason I never got around to buying a BMW in the first place. Then by the time I could figure out the BMW options the G35 coupe came along and swept me.

I bought my G35 6MT coupe fully loaded without navigation and I could not see myself buying it with anything less. I thought at $3500 the navigation was an utter and pure waste of money especially since I would rarely if ever be driving outside of the city with it.

Why would Infiniti want me to buy a car like this without roof anyway, and what up with the painted splash guard. In addition for a car in this price range why are they be selling trunk net separate.

I was considering maybe slipping out of my coupe and into one of these new sedans. However, I think they might just turn me off if I cannot get a trim level with everything that should be in a car like this, make sense, and does not cost an arm and a leg.
    Wait for the 2008 G35 Coupe !

The 335 will look dull in comparison both inside and out and the performance will blow it away as well. The design of the 335 is dull even without comparing it side by side with anything else.

Note that the 335 is only a 3.0 L engine and its turbocharged too :-) for only 300hp. The 2007 G35 sedan is already more than hp than the 335i. Naturally the Coupe will be more ( 330+) naturally aspirated. The current VQ engine in the 2006 coupe can produce well over 400hp turbocharged if you really want power.

Before you make your final decision and by a BMW just for the name make sure you properly test drive both cars because the hype about BMW handling is way overrated in my opinion. Trust me I really test drive the BMW and G35 3 years ago when I bought my coupe. Each time when I test drive the cars sales person was sorry they came along for the drive because they are not used to driving these cars even close to their limits themselves. In the end the G35 coupe was a clear winner to me so much so that I could not help myself but to buy one.
    Note that the 335 is only a 3.0 L engine and its turbocharged too for only 300hp. The 2007 G35 sedan is already more than hp than the 335i.

Wow, you need to do a little research. Most dyno runs on the 3.0 TT put the power at 330+hp/330+ tq. That's far more than the G35 and full power is on tap from ~1400 rpm.

Trust me I really test drive the BMW and G35 3 years ago when I bought my coupe.

Ah, that was an e46. The e9x models of 3 series, even with RFTs handle better than anything else out in this market. Slap non RFTs on the car and you've got handling that makes the car stick like super glue.
    "Before you make your final decision and by a BMW just for the name"

The reason I got my BMW was not the "name", it was what went into the name. While Infinti has improved on the G35 over time, BMWs have a classic look about them that will stand the test of time. They are better looking and have better interiors.

I will agree the G35 is "cheaper", if you calculate hp/$.
  • bf109acebf109ace Member Posts: 77
    Test drove the 06 350Z and very disappointed! If the 3.5l engine and 6-speed shifter on the G35 are the same, it will be equally disappointed.

Didn't feel much power on the 350Z with 300hp- kidding me?
    The shifter is so-so. The ride is 'harsh'. Not even as impressed as a 3.0L I-6 BMW 328i coupe with auto.

I don't think the [non-permissible content removed] got the tricks yet to make something that could compete with German stuff. Sigh! :sick:

The Nissan- coarse and harsh; Lexue - family-car-looking, soft ride, not much communications between the road and the driver; Acura, great brand but has yet come up with some models decent to compete with BWM M or Audi S-lines. The Acura (except RSX and NSX) look too ordinary.

Well, reliability is one thing but performance/handling is another thing. The [non-permissible content removed] under-performed in the handling department. Haven't heard any high performance driving school using Japanese cars. They use some Americans but mostly German sports sedan/cars - M3/M5/M6, Audi S/RS, Porsche 911/Cayman/Boxster, etc.
    Dougie-I am not getting a coupe,my next purchase is the Lexus GS350.Personally, I am not a fan of BMW, I like the 530XI but the price is and options turned me away not to mention the sales rep.

Also, I had an Acura TLS with 260hp, my friend has a BMW 528I with 197hp and everytime we race I will beat him but he was right on my tail-go figure.
    Good points. The comparison however is between turbocharged and naturally aspirated engines. You forgot to mention that the Beamer has very good torque/hp ratio though.
    True the BMW has a classic look over time. However I think my G35 coupe still looks phat after 3 years. But who know what it will look like after 5 years if its gene pool is any indication I think it will still look good just like the 300Z and the Skyline GT.

Before you use the word "cheap" too loosely note that the latest JD power and associates rank the infiniti and BMW line about the same in terms of initial quality and neither of them is even close to a Lexus. But then again maybe what you call cheap is just what I call good bang for my bucks.
    So we don't all have the same taste for good handling and what good acceleration and power should feel like. That doesn't mean the BMW isn't overrated.

Well, reliability is one thing but performance/handling is another thing. The [non-permissible content removed] under-performed in the handling department. Haven't heard any high performance driving school using Japanese cars. They use some Americans but mostly German sports sedan/cars - M3/M5/M6, Audi S/RS, Porsche 911/Cayman/Boxster, etc.

Your last argument is faulty though. Not because driving schools use European cars mean that they are the best at handling ???? That is what European car makers do. They promote and sponsor driving schools so people can "enjoy" their cars more. Its like someone who likes Pontiacs and Camaros saying you don't see many European cars at Daytona or at Nascar events. Thats just what American auto makers do . If you go to most underground racing events around the world you wont see many European cars either but that does not mean they are not good cars or have good handling. Or because European cars do not appear in "Fast and Furious" movies and games they must not have good handling. If there are any performance driving schools in the East (Japan, Australia, etc) they are likely to have Japanese cars. In addition the cars you use as examples are in a different class as I would not compare a G35 coupe with an M3/M5 or Porsche. In fact I think you would be dissing a Porsche to make such a comparison to a BMW 3xx series or G35 coupe they just don't compare.
    Clearly personal value always plays a part in this. For example, a multi-billionare who can afford a $10,000/night room, might call a $500/night room cheap. I might call that same $500/night living high on the hog.

As you say, it's all relative.
    http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=117476

Well we will see if my CTS optimism holds up in January. ;)

Rocky
    Given the poor showings by caddy for the last...100 years or so, it seems likely your optimism is misplaced.
  • allargonallargon Member Posts: 75
    I will call the G35 cheap!

I tested the new 2007 G35 sport today. I saw mousehair upholstery on the headliner and HARD plastic on the doors. I cannot believe the reviewers did not call Infiniti out for that, but they ripped Cadillac for it. (In fairness, Cadillac designers do need to be shot for the center stack of the outgoing CTS!)

The car had good acceleration but it was still in break-in so had some hesitation on acceleration that will disappear with time. The analog clock in the middle is gorgeous and classy, IMHO. The manumatic worked well but was a little slow to downshift. The tachometer also seemed to be placed weirdly on the instrument panel, but that's a personal thing. It did not have German "road feel" but the steering was tight (Hint to Lexus engineers, add that!), and it handled greatly.

The stereo was definitely not class leading. It worked. We could just leave it there. The Bluetooth worked. I didn't bring my MP3 player. Moreover, I didn't test drive a system with nav to upload mp3's to the flash card.

It was nice but definitely a bit more sport than luxury. It felt like a cheaper, more reliable BMW.

All of the above was just MHO.

HOST, might we add the Saab 9-3 to this forum instead of that $60K 15-speaker, full-size Cadillac STS?
    Well IMHO, it hasn't always been poor. The early-mid 90's Caddy's with Northstars were benchmarks. ;)

Rocky
    Does anyone have any opinion on the Merc C-350 or test drive feedback?

Inside Line rates it a little faster with the 3.5 vs. 330 '06 and a tick faster on the skidpad test.

Regards,
    OW :confuse:
  • stl540stl540 Member Posts: 67
    I test drove the 2007 G35S 6MT and 335i SP 6MT yesterday. Here are my opinions.

Exterior (Subjective area that I will not get into):
    G35S - I like the updated looks of the G35 compared to the previous gen
    335i – I also like the looks of the 335i.
    Winner – Draw (too subjective)

Interior:
    G35S - The interior is also improved over the previous gen. Some of the interior plastic looks somewhat cheap, but taking the lower price into consideration, it looks fine. The interior is a nice improvement over the previous gen. The sport seats were comfortable, and the thicker steering wheel felt nice. I would have to get used to HVAC and radio controls, but they seem to be in a good position. I did find myself trying to turn up the radio with the temperature dial. Again, my unfamiliarity was the cause.
    335i – Higher quality materials than the G. I do not care for the placement of the driver side window controls. Cup holders are odd, but functional. BMW is not known to provide good solutions for cup holders. HVAC and radio control were good.

Winner – Slight favor to BMW in terms so quality feel. Slight favor to G in terms of gadgets (hard drive for MP3, backup camera, CF capable, etc).

Engine:
    G35S - I like the growl of the engine. It is powerful at higher RPMs. It did not have the same pull at lower RPMs as the 335i. Once the RPMs got up there, it pulled well. The lack of low-end torque was noticeable on the G.
    335i – Engine sound was good. Slight (very slight) turbo lab. The torque is awesome at all RPMs (starting around 1500 RPM). The car was powerful at any RPM. I was very, very impressed with the pull at any speed. Felt like a V8.

Winner: 335i.

Tranny:
    G35S - I expected this to be wonderful, but I was disappointed. The shifter vibrated way too much at all RPMs, even at idle. It vibrated so much; I did not want to have my hand near it unless I needed to shift. The salesman told me this was normal. Other than that, the tranny shifted well.
    335i – Shifted well. It did not have the uncontrolled vibrations like the G.

Winner: 335i

Handling:
    G35S - The car handled well. It required more effort to keep in line with more aggressive driving. I am sure the suspension is capable of good performance, but IMO it will also take more work on the driver’s part to get there. The use of a LSD is a nice feature compared to the 335i. The stability control system shut down too hard when the wheels broke loose.
    335i –It goes where you point it with little effort. I felt more in control of the car in nearly all situations. The stability control is much improved over previous gens. It did not shutdown the engine power as hard or easy as the previous gens or as the G. I also really like the feature where you can push the DTC button to allow more wheel slippage while still have the stability control kick in if the car gets completely out of control. This feature is not available in the G.

Winner – 335i

MSRP Price:
    Winner - G35S – The price is ~$8K lower than the 335i.

Residual value:
    Winner – 335i – 4% higher resale than the G – BMW only costs $1640 more over 3 years (if car was sold at the stated residuals). This is much less than the $8K initial price diff of MSRP. The cost difference will be higher (an adv for the G35) if finance changes are factored in to my calc.
    $45K * .61 = $27,450 resale after 3 years – total depreciation = $17,550
    $37K * .57 = $21,090 resale after 3 years – total depreciation = $15,910

Maintenance:
    Winner BMW – no cost for 4 year/50K miles

G35S estimated cost over 50K miles using the factory recommended service interval
    • 3700 mile oil changes - $30/each = $390 for 13 oil changes
    • $300 service at 15K miles
    • $700 service at 30K miles
    • $300 service at 15K miles
    • $400 brakes at 30K miles – estimated need
    • Total = $2090 over three years & 45K miles

TCO:
    Draw: The 3 year TCO is nearly the same if finance charges are factored in. Beyond 3 years is unknown (at least by my quick calculations)

I do not have an allegiance to a particular marquee. The comments above are my opinions. My final conclusion is the BMW is the better alternative for me. The G35 is a nice performing car and would be able to my needs for a high performance car if the 335i was not available. The driving dynamics in the BMW is much better (again, IMO) that I can justify the initial price difference. My sister-in-law and two friends have the G and love it. I am more of a driving enthusiast than them.

My advice to others is to test drive both and buy the one that fits your driving style better. Do not focus on 0-60 and other stats because this is not normal driving. The stats offer a quick comparison, but there is much more to a car’s performance than running stop light to stop light.

Cheers!