Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey vs Dodge/Chrysler minivans

Comments

• thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I didn't say I believed it; just that it was interesting. My aunt bought the same van at Christmas(2005 EX cloth) for $26.7k.
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    NO trade in. Price (before taxes, Doc fees, etc) was just over $ 25K on the 2005 Ody EX (cloth) that had MSRP $ 28,510. ;)
    They were driving a used 1992 Astro that they still drive. His wife bought a new 1988 Honda Accord 4 door sedan a few years before they got married and had the transmission replaced at about 60,000 miles. :sick:
    He drives the Accord to work.
    Wow, 17 hours and nary a post...what is the world coming to? :confuse: :sick: :shades:

Just some Emotorcons for hans :P :blush::)
  • artgpoartgpo Member Posts: 483
    For the second year in a row the 2006 Honda Odyssey is Motorweek's pick for minivan of the year.
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    For 23 years in a row DCX minivans have been the best selling minivans in the WORLD!
    We beat sales numbers to death In January. It was established that a great many of DCX van go to fleets thus hyping sales. There are many "Best selling" vehicles on the road that are far from best in class. The Corvette Z06 was the best sports car. I am sure many more Z350s are sold but is it a better car?
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    "There are many "Best selling" vehicles on the road that are far from best in class"

True, but there are many vehicles on the road that are "best selling" AND considered best in class.(i.e Toyota Camry) Since, minivans are generally a 20-30's thousand dollar purchase(the range where most vehicle purchases take place)...it is not logical to lump them in the same category as 60 thousand dollar sports cars.

Basically you have say, one million buyers who vote each year for DCX vans(by buying them)...and 500,000 who vote for Ody vans(by buying them). And then you have the mag rag reviews, who vote by not buying, but by taking a test drive. Where would a logical person put his money???

Well, to answer my own question. The logical person would look at both, then chose the one that best suited his needs/wants(not some magazines...or the companys sales numbers)

Then you have those whose logic exceeds Mr. Spocks himself...they would purchase a Mazda MPV. :P
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    Basically you have say, one million buyers who vote each year for DCX vans(by buying them)...and 500,000 who vote for Ody vans(by buying them). And then you have the mag rag reviews, who vote by not buying, but by taking a test drive. Where would a logical person put his money???

As it has been suggested before, a lot depends on how much money that logical person has.
  • dennisctcdennisctc Member Posts: 1,168
    We beat sales numbers to death In January. It was established that a great many of DCX van go to fleets thus hyping sales. There are many "Best selling" vehicles on the road that are far from best in class. The Corvette Z06 was the best sports car. I am sure many more Z350s are sold but is it a better car?

I don't remember seeing exact sales numbers for fleet purchases. "great many" can mean anything. Does anyone really know? or have a "great" source for this, since I don't consider this dead just based on opinions.
    When is Edmunds moving Honda Odyssey 2005+ problems back to minivan forum with all the other Minivan problems???

It's hard keeping track of all their problems when one needs to store another link for it. Plus its not fair to potential buyers, who should be educated on the good and the bad.
    I believe it was about 1/3rd of sales.

DCX is back to 0% for 60 months. Giving them away also helps.

And your source of this information is?????
  • marine2marine2 Member Posts: 1,155
    a minivan that will do everything I want it to do, to make my life easier and doesn't cost me an arm and a leg to do it. That is what I found in my Dodge GC.

Sure I could easily afford a Honda Ody. I could easily buy two and pay cash for them. But I'm retired now and the money I saved buying the Dodge, almost paid for our 18 day trip for me and my wife to Europe last year. Besides, the Ody didn't have the stow-in-go seats I wanted and to get the power rear hatch would cost over $30,000 for the Ody.

I really liked the GPS on the Honda, but after checking around, it made more sense to buy a portable one. While it's not got as big a screen as the Ody and won't let me see behind me, it also didn't cost me $2,000.00 extra to buy it.( Less than five hundred with tax and three year warranty.) Plus, I can use it in any car I'm driving, which you can't do with the one in the Honda. It even has a battery so you can even use it on a bike or boat.

What I'm saying is, for the value and what it does, Honda couldn't beat it for the price. The fifteen hundred I saved on the GPS, will come in handy on our next trip to Vegas, and my GPS will tell me how to get there, just like your Ody.

I "believe" it's about 1/64th of sales then. I pulled my "belief" from someplace where the sun don't shine. Same place for you?
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    A little snippy in the sandbox this morning.....
    To be honest, isn't the % of minivans sold as fleet sales a bit pointless for this discussion?

Look at it this way: DCX sells more vans as fleet sales than Honda/Toyota sells as fleet sales. I don't anyone would debate this. So?

Even if you take away fleet sales, DCX still sells more vans than either Honda or Toyota.

Again, so? What's the point?

For the DCX fans, this just means that the DCX vans offer more value for more people. This neither 'proves' nor 'disproves' what van is 'better'. What it DOES mean is that (apparently) DCX knows what it's doing with regard to minivan design. Much more so than either Ford or GM.

Do those high sales numbers mean it's the 'best' minivan for me or thegraduate? No, perhaps we've got slightly different criteria from DCX folks.

Life would be pretty boring if we ALL drove DCX vans, just as it would if we all drove Hondas.
  • aaron_taaron_t Member Posts: 301
    Yet, the total cost in Feb is more than Nov/Dec was. If I finance through my credit union, I'm better off taking the current $4k in rebates instead of the $1k + 0%. I would not say DCX is giving them away @ today's selling prices. Marketing games is all it is.
    According to Autoweek, DCX's fleet sales in the third quarter of 2005 was just over 17%, or slightly more than 1/6th of total sales. Hope this helps...

I know its not complete information, but at least it gives a general idea, that it is 15-20% of sales. Bloomberg Business' website reports that Ford and GM have close to 40% fleet sales of their Freestar/Uplander vans, so Chrysler at least has THEM beat, but then again, the Chrysler van is a lot better than these, period.
    I stand corrected. Thank you.
    Lots of information flies around these boards, some of it good, some not...it is easy to get numbers a little mixed up. Don't sweat it, and when in doubt, do what I did and google the idea in question and you can usually find a reputable site with information.
  • jpnewtjpnewt Member Posts: 71
    LOL!! Rental Agencies do what their Parent companies want them to do. Hertz has Ford Product, Avis has GM product and so on. Rental companies purchase vehicles because of cost and the companies they belong to. NOT because that's what consumers want to drive.
    Hmmmm... Let's see less leg, head, shoulder, and hip room. Less Hp or torque, less mpg, less cargo room and residual 16% lower than Odyssey for 36 months. Logical very Logical ah and it sells for $450.00 less than an Odyssey and doesn't have Climate Control or a Moonroof. I think the Enterprise is leaking Radiation again you better get to the Engine room and quick. ;)
    I don't know what planet you live on, but according to Edmunds TMV there is a $3192.00 difference between the Honda Odyssey EX with leather and the Dodge Grand Caravan SXT with leather.
    According to Autoweek, DCX's fleet sales in the third quarter of 2005 was just over 17%, or slightly more than 1/6th of total sales. Hope this helps...

Thanks but this really doesn't help.....That 17% could have been leftover Neons.
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    ...and with the deeper average discounts on the Dodge the delta gets even bigger. I think MorganV indicated on their deal it was almost $5000.

Dusty
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    Without remembering the actual numbers, on LD pickups Ford has typically had about 30% fleet sales per year, GM a little less. Dodge in the past has been even lower, although in recent years they've increased fleet sales.

The New York State police and US Border Patrol are now buying Durangos. Michigan and Ohio have just signed large fleet contracts for Dodge Charger police cars. Chrysler has been notably missing in the police car arena for some time (since the Diplomat series ended), so fleet sales should be on the increase for them.

In the microcosmic form of our local Enterprise Car Rental, there are two Dodge Caravans, two Mazda MPVs, and three just added Ventures.

Dusty
  • socalawdsocalawd Member Posts: 542
    Without remembering the actual numbers, on LD pickups Ford has typically had about 30% fleet sales per year, GM a little less. Dodge in the past has been even lower, although in recent years they've increased fleet sales.

From january to sept of 2005 it was 25.4% of sales. Im sure the minivan section is slightly higher!!

link title

Look under 3rd Quarter fact sheet.
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    It's in the Honda Odyssey Owners Folder in this Forum.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    OUTSTANDING, unbiased post. Thank you rorr.
    Thanks for the link. 25.4% is not 33.3% and 2005 Trucks, Ram etc. Sprinter Vans, Neons, Stratus and Sebring convertables and sedans, Intrepids, Concordes, 300M's as well as minivans are included in that total. Your OPINION of minivans being higher is suspect.
  • callmedrfillcallmedrfill Member Posts: 729
    This pot needs no stirring from me!

Anywho, last time I checked, the Odyssey/Sienna didn't have a smaller, $17-22k alternative to the Caravan.

That may account for the sales difference?

DrFill
    Your OPINION of minivans being higher is suspect.

It's because I had 3 as company cars and Dennis also said he had one. When I had my fleet car thru Wheel Inc. almost all the field guys had caravans! Most stuff in this forum is SUSPECT!!!
    So 4 vans is a consensus now!
    My company only leased Ford Winstars as company cars. What does that prove? They were getting a bigger rakeoff from Ford than any other Detroit manufacturer.
    It's because I had 3 as company cars and Dennis also said he had one. When I had my fleet car thru Wheel Inc. almost all the field guys had caravans! Most stuff in this forum is SUSPECT!!!

I've had 2 SWB Caravans with 3.0 engines...96 and 99, both very trouble free. But I know Tyco, as a corporation chooses one vehicle via PHH or Wheels as "The" car....currently it's a Taurus. At the time, I was on the Chrysler sales team so they made exception for OEM teams and I had my Caravan. I now call on Visteon (Formerly Ford Electronics) and I'm stuck with the Taurus. (POC).

So what I'm seeing here - NO BODY KNOWS for certain, just everyone's personal opinions.
    "I think the Enterprise is leaking Radiation again..."

You sure you weren't watching "The Jetsons"? The Starship Enterprise was powered by a dilithium crystal. Nuclear reactors were considered primitive...kind of like that minivan you're driving. ;) (just kidding)
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    "I don't know what planet you live on, but according to Edmunds TMV there is a $3192.00 difference between the Honda Odyssey EX with leather and the Dodge Grand Caravan SXT with leather."

jpnewt was directing his post to jipster.....who drives a Mazda MPV. I believe the comparisons in jpnewt's post were between the Ody and the MPV, not the Ody and the Caravan.
    Thanks hansienna.

To be truthful, all this back and forth regarding fleet sales just makes my eyes glaze over.

Personally, if I were in the market for a van (or truck or car or whatever), the % of vehicles sold as fleet sales (whether it is high or low) would have ZERO interest to me.

Zip. Nada. Zilch.

Just as the total number of units sold has no importance to me. My criteria for choosing a vehicle may include performance or safety or reliability or cost of ownership or utility or style or any number of other factors.

But the ONLY reason I might chose a vehicle based on sales numbers would be to chose one with the LOWER number of sales (all else considered roughly equal) just so I can break away (somewhat) from all the other lemmings.....
    I'm on Planet Earth where you learn to read a post correctly. My analysis was vs. the Mazda MPV. I'll accept your apology at any time. ;)
    Ahhhhh Trekie!!!! :) Really I was comparing the Odyssey to jipsters MPV which he said logically was the best van.
    Thank you rorr I can now believe that someone reads a post before flying off the handle, you must own a Honda because you are not so uptight and defensive. ;)

Thanks but this really doesn't help.....That 17% could have been leftover Neons.

The DCX fleet sales of minivans.

My apologies for not making that perfectly clear. I mentioned GM's and Ford's vans later on, I assumed that would be enough to clarify that I was referring to Dodge's minis.
    No, you never mentioned 300 FSE's. What does that prove? I have had 6 company cars, from Ford GM and DCX. I am NOT thin skinned, nor a little girl, but will continue to challenge any Odyssey poster who posts Incorrect or partial information which downs the DCX products. And there seem to be 3 or 4 posters in particular who regularly post incorrect or partial information.

You continue to post partial information. So regulate yourself. I don't care if you down the Honda product I've seen lots of things on here and they make me laugh! I do have fleet data from forbes for Dodge caravan in 2002 fleet=60,493 and overall sales = 244,911 so about 25% are fleet for that YEAR. As usual you have NOTHING but opinion!!
    Please refer to the post that shows "partial information" By me. I Just returned from the Auto Show and was LOL at the Odyssey sticker which showed origin of content, it added up to 90%. Could the Odyssey be missing 10%? or they don't know wnere the heck 10% came from?
  • kimchikimchi Member Posts: 8
    i drove both vehicles and chose to buy chrysler T&C limited. It wasn't just test drive, I drove both for more than 3000miles. Chrysler is still the best !!!!
    More systems for less money
    If you're going to post numbers or quote sources, can you provide exact link? It's not that I don't trust you guys....but I couldn't find it myself. Thanks
    "My analysis was vs. the Mazda MPV"

It was??? Your "facts" were so far off...I didn't know who's minivan you were speaking of. The Mazda MPV has more front headroom than Ody. It DOES have a moonroof as an available option. You can "buy" a MPV for around $4,000-$6,000 less than compariable equipped Ody. It doesn't have climate control...but we didn't want climate control. We have it on our Buick Regal...I think it(climate control) bites...prefer manual controls much better.

The MPV is a big vehilce,though not a big minivan, which was what we wanted. The perfect size, space, features, safety, quality, reliability for our family. NOW...THAT is why it is the BEST minivan...for me. That, my Clingon friend...is pure logic. ;)
    I guess when Honda's headroom is more in the middle and rear seats I was generalizing that statement, but I stated that the price was $450.00 less on the STICKER without the OPTIONAL moonroof and unavailable Climate Control. Now how can it be $4000 to $5000 less than a Odyssey, unless you keep Honda at Sticker and Discount the Mazda to nothing. Of course that's what Mazda has to do to get rid of them. By the way what other facts was I so far off on? I quoted about 6 or 7 items and all you came up with was headroom(front only). I'm glad you got what you wanted but obviously we disagree. :D
    To avoid confusion:

The preceeding post was comparing the Ody to the MAZDA MPV, not any DCX vans.

Thank you. :P
This discussion has been closed.