Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey vs Dodge/Chrysler minivans

Comments

• socalawdsocalawd Member Posts: 542
    I think that's because the average family size now is only 2.6. Not much use for seven, much less eight.

Well I had 7 in the car to my son's concert just last night, this is a normal(weekly thing for me.

I just finished coaching basketball of the 10 kids on my team the smallest family was 4 and the bigest was 9, I would say the average was 6.5. I think it matters where you are in life. Minivan owners probably have way larger families than the average!
  • marine2marine2 Member Posts: 1,155
    I just finished coaching basketball of the 10 kids on my team the smallest family was 4 and the bigest was 9, I would say the average was 6.5. I think it matters where you are in life. Minivan owners probably have way larger families than the average!

Or if your Catholic or not.
  • dennisctcdennisctc Member Posts: 1,168
    Some families may want other things: ability to slide seats together. Roll down 2nd row windows. Provide an additional measure of safety on slick roads. Can the DGC do these things, at the drop of a hat or otherwise?

Can the Ody's 3rd row windows vent. You get a lot less wind noise with DCX's vents open, then rolling down side windows. Can you get knee airbags on any Ody? The Ody's 3rd row seat recline but you access the strap from the hatch area, not the side of the seats...not too "drop of the hat" or user friendly. Can the Ody's 3rd row seat flip for tailgating/camping/picnics? Some owners don't want to be lugging and storing heavy seats in and out of their Minivans...whether for cargo hauling or just a more spacious 3rd row area. Some families go camping and tow RVs....The Dodge offers 3800 lbs tow rating, and a factory installed tow package with auto leveling suspension, tranny, steering and radiator coolers, and HD battery and electrical...for roughly $700.

Ody owners can easily pay $5k+ more for their Minivans while having just as many if not more quality issues than DCX owners. Ody owners can tout their EPA numbers, but not their real world gas mileage.

Funny, Ody guys will continue to turn up their noses at Stow N Go, and tout stability control (yet this vital safety feature isn't even an option on the new Civics?). Honda may have a leg up for now on DCX...but just barely, especially when you consider their's is a new minivan and DCX's isn't. It'll be interesting in Jan 2007 to see the next gen DCX with all the latest features i.e..6 spd auto, 275hp V6 or possibly even V8, and power Stow N Go...
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    Remember that all Odysseys get the 3.5L engine, while most DC vans get the 3.3L engine which completely pales in comparison. "

No, most get the 3.8
    Now, we can continue this infantile argument about which is the MOST family friendly, or we can just agree that both vehicles serve families well and just leave it at that.

I love this...spout off your points, then try to cut off responses by implying others are infantile if they respond to your's. Just love it!!!

In order to be "family friendly", doesn't a minivan have to be readily affordable to said family? "Without a doubt" based on affordability, DCX has the most family friendly minvans then.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "Can the Ody's......"

No....no....no....and...NO.

What's your point? Are these vans different? YES!!!

Why does everyone insists are trying to declare a 'winner' when all of our needs are different? I thought that's one of the reasons why marine2 and I decided that this infantile argument had gone on long enough.

I'll turn up my nose at sto'n'go because, FOR ME, I have no desire for it. Just as you'll turn up your nose at ESC because, FOR YOU, you have no desire for it. (BTW - I wasn't in the market for a Civic. I couldn't care less if the Civic was offered with ESC or not. I WAS in the market for a minivan and wanted one with ESC. Why is it necessary to drag in the Civic? If sto'n'go is so great, why doesn't the Dodge Viper have it? It could certainly use some more cargo space).

I don't care who has a 'leg up' on who. I didn't buy a vehicle because I needed a 'leg up' on anybody. My wife and I made a list of items we 'needed' in a minivan, a list of items which would be 'nice' to have in a minivan, and a list of items that would be okay to have but not a dealkiller one way or the other. Obviously, our list wouldn't meet with you approval. I don't care.
    Can the Ody's......"

No....no....no....and...NO.

What's your point? Are these vans different? YES!!!

Why does everyone insists are trying to declare a 'winner' when all of our needs are different? I thought that's one of the reasons why marine2 and I decided that this infantile argument had gone on long enough.

Just using your own terminology to respond... Am I allowed to list DCX's features on here too???
    "I love this...spout off your points, then try to cut off responses by pro-actively implying others are infantile if they respond to your's."

I think you missed the entire point of that post. I'll spell it out for you.

It was put forth that the DGC was the 'most family friendly' because (essentially) of one feature: sto'n'go. I was simply pointing out that if an individual can choose at their discretion the criteria to judge 'family friendly' then it's easy to label THEIR favorite vehicle as the 'most family friendly'.

I then proceeded to make up my OWN criteria for what made a 'family friendly' minivan (obviously choosing only the Ody's strong points), and then 'logically' arrived at the conclusion that the Ody was the 'most family friendly'. Wow. Who wudda thunk it. What a surprise.

But that's exactly what you seem to want to do. Hand pick out those features which are the DGC strengths and then, based on those features, arrive at the conclusion the DGC is the 'most family friendly'.

The whole process is idiotic and the argument (on both sides) is infantile. But you can continue on if you wish.
    I was putting a lot of that down when we called a truce. Along with traction control, battery saver, tire pressure monitoring, side door alarm. Although I didn't call them Family Friendly.

Battery saver saved my butt the second day I owned the minivan. One or two of the kids pushed the reading lights on when bringing them home from school. I didn't notice it until the next day I got into the van and noticed they didn't go out after closing the door. If I hadn't had battery saver, I would have had to call a tow truck to give me a jump start.

Well I'm out of here for a long while.
    "Am I allowed to list DCX's features on here too???"

Absolutely! List away. That would be a great service to those who are curious about the DCX vans but don't want to pour over brochures.

Isn't the purpose of this forum to simply provide information and point out differences between these two so that potential buyers can make an informed decision?

Or is to try to declare a 'winner'? :confuse:
    A battery saver is definitely a feature I wish I had. I've come home twice to find one of the overhead map lights on in the Ody.

Is it some special circuitry in the car which turns off the lights, or is it a feature of the battery itself?
    Is it some special circuitry in the car which turns off the lights, or is it a feature of the battery itself?

It's either a switch designed in system or part of the Body Control Module i.e.. programmed.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    This sure has gotten out of hand. I'm probably the youngest person on the board, and it just leaves me laughing at the pointless squabbling over whose van is more family-oriented, whose is better safety-wise, etc.

Shouldn't everyone take a chill pill? The forum was doing just fine, with an agreement to disagree between rorr and marine2 (two guys that know their stuff, yet can agree on things!).

What happened?

By the way, to the statement about more engines get the 3.8L (whomever it may be), it still pales in comparison to the competition (Kia, Hyundai, and Honda all offer safer passing power and more efficient engine designs).
    Was that the bell?

What round is it?

BTW - I'm now convinced that the more ergonomic shape of the gear shift lever in the Ody proves, beyond a doubt, that the Ody is the most.......

oh, never mind...
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    You have provided a very compelling reason for some people to prefer the Odyssey over any other minivan. I had never considered the benefit that you clearly explained. ;)
    That average would be too small for 2 communities on the Arizona/Utah border.
    Is that why Ford, GM, Chrysler made 18 passenger vans?
    For some families, it would take 3 Odysseys or 3 DC minivans to haul the entire family so each wife would have to drive separately. :shades:
    For most of us the answer is NO.
    I had driven a 2001 Odyssey EX and a 2002 Grand Caravan Sport many times before we bought a nice, used 2002 T&C LX clone of the GC Sport.
    The Odyssey is a very nice minivan with very comfortable seating for 7...and the 8th seat is more comfortable than the rear seat of almost any current sedan.
    Our 2002 T&C LX has a long term overall average of 22.4 MPG. It got 28.2 MPG on one 1400 mile round trip and 26.6 MPG on another 1360 mile round trip.
    The 3.3L V6 is an excellent compromise between performance and fuel economy...and this good fuel economy is with an old fashioned 4 speed Automatic Transmission and push rod OHV engine. :shades:
    Well I just got my CR Cars addition and the current model Ody had 84 out of 100 saying they would purchase again(seems most are happy with the van myself included)while the Town and Country had 49 out of 100 saying they would purchase again. Also the Ody is the editors and consumers most wanted. While the DCX van is the most sold. There is a difference!! As far as family friendly the Ody was the best for my family!! The DCX would be good for my Field Service job!! Just want to throw in some more labels that is really what this forum is best for anyway! Honda owners are this and DCX is that! These vans are not the same and ones persons gotta have(stow and go/ESC) may be another persons who cares!! When people say they don't want ESC and side airbags with rollover sensors that's fine with me! I don't have almost any use for stow and go!!
    The 3.3L V6 is an excellent compromise between performance and fuel economy...and this good fuel economy is with an old fashioned 4 speed Automatic Transmission and push rod OHV engine.

Results may vary. I get about 2MPG better on the Ody then I got on the Base Caravan with 3.3L!!
  • cpsdarrencpsdarren Member Posts: 265
    "I think that's because the average family size now is only 2.6. Not much use for seven, much less eight."

Again, only valid if you carry just your immediate family, which may well be true for those who buy coupes and small sedans. On the plus side, that 60% of a person might fit well in the PlusOne seat...

Many who buy minivans have 3, 4 or more kids. They also carry extended family, friends, kids' friends, teammates, etc. I'm pretty sure most buyers can assess if they need to carry 8, 9 or more passengers with any frequency and then choose an appropriate vehicle. Some probably don't realize that the Sienna and Odyssey allow this in some trim levels and end up buying gaz guzzling full size SUVs and vans. The Sienna is better for those who regularly carry 8. The Odyssey EX is more of a 7-seater that can carry 8 when needed. Something for everyone, right?
    "You have provided a very compelling reason for some people to prefer the Odyssey over any other minivan. I had never considered the benefit that you clearly explained."

I admit this probably doesn't affect more than a small minority of buyers. I doubt we used this feature more than once a month on average, but it sure was handy when we did need it.
    That average would be too small for 2 communities on the Arizona/Utah border.
    Is that why Ford, GM, Chrysler made 18 passenger vans?
    For some families, it would take 3 Odysseys or 3 DC minivans to haul the entire family so each wife would have to drive separately

Actually 3 of the families do belong the LDS church. One has a Suburban, one a 1999-2004 Odyssey and one a old pre 1997 Dodge Caravan!
    Although a small minority may need the feature, there are probably many more people who would buy the Odyssey IF they realized the convenience offered by the sliding right side middle bucket seat when child seats are in place.
    The new child seats with tether strap are NOT very convenient to install, remove, install, etc. Once installed, it is an excellent convenience feature to be able to leave them and not have to remove and reinstall.
    Why didn't Toyota copy Honda instead of making their 2nd row bucket seats in the 7 passenger version quite difficult to remove and re-install to provide a 2nd row bench seat? Toyota had many years to see how much better the Odyssey system is than that in the Sienna.
    Did the first wife get the Odyssey (or the Suburban if it is much newer)?
    I had heard that the first wife in a multiple-wife situation is queen of the family and the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. are servants.
    A battery saver is definitely a feature I wish I had. I've come home twice to find one of the overhead map lights on in the Ody.

I think it's a feature built into the computer. Without going out and checking the book, I believe it said it would shut them off after 20 min of the key being turned off.

I didn't realize at the time they could all be turned on and off by pushing the plastic shield.(I only owned it for two days. I reached down and turned the wheel switch on the dash, thinking I must have turned it on accidently. They didn't turn off. I was thinking, in just two days, the lights already screwed up on this van and I was about to take it back to the dealer. But I got out and looked to see if there was a switch on the lights before I did. That's when I found out my little darlings had pushed them all on. I'm glad I checked it and not made myself look like a fool to the mechanic.
    Better gas mileage with Ody than Caravan 3.3L is probably likely if a person drives aggressively since the more powerful Ody engine is not pushing the limits of performance like the less powerful Caravan 3.3L. :confuse:
    All I can say is that my 2002 T&C LX has consistently got about 7 or 8 MPG BETTER on long trips than my son gets with his 2001 Ody EX. ;)
    "Why didn't Toyota copy Honda instead of making their 2nd row bucket seats in the 7 passenger version quite difficult to remove and re-install to provide a 2nd row bench seat? Toyota had many years to see how much better the Odyssey system is than that in the Sienna."

Not to mention the mechanism long available in the MPV, which is somewhat easier than the one in the Odyssey. Not only does it slide easily, but you don't even have to tip the seat back.
    Then your son must be a hot rod. The last trip we ever took in our 2000 Odyssey, I set the cruise on 75MPH on the hills of I-65, and got 26.5MPGs. It wasn't hard, just set it, and forget it (of course, I had to punch it a few times and get up to 80-85).

Either your son was a hot rod, you (two) didn't travel on interstates, your son's Odyssey had a problem, or you got 33 miles per gallon. (The mileage was with 4 people aboard, and their luggage for the weekend; weather was warm, A/C on).
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    Then your son must be a hot rod. The last trip we ever took in our 2000 Odyssey, I set the cruise on 75MPH on the hills of I-65, and got 26.5MPGs. It wasn't hard, just set it, and forget it (of course, I had to punch it a few times and get up to 80-85).

Either your son was a hot rod, you (two) didn't travel on interstates, your son's Odyssey had a problem, or you got 33 miles per gallon. (The mileage was with 4 people aboard, and their luggage for the weekend; weather was warm, A/C on). "

It always gets back to the term, "Your mileage may vary"?

I participate on a Mazda3 board outside Edmunds, and with simlar driving habits there are wildly different MPG numbers. Some get 23, some get 30
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    2005 Odyssey Touring with cylinder deactivation Quote "average fuel economy 18.5 MPG"
    The latest results are 18.3 MPG for the 2005 Ody Touring for the 9066 miles it has been driven. On the last 479 mile trip it got 25.1 MPG....which is considerably less than the EPA 28 Estimate. :confuse:
    Is the cylinder deactivation designed for getting good EPA test results instead of actual mileage in real world driving.? :blush:

Here is the link for Ody average fuel economy:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/van/112_0510_2005_honda_odyssey_touring/inde- - - x.html
    That agrees very closely with what Edmunds got on their long-term Odyssey (18.6 mpg).

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/LongTerm/articleId=104757

Edmunds hasn't tested a DCX van in quite some time. Their last long-term test was of a '01 DGC which wrapped up in '03. They achieved a lifetime average of 17.8 mpg.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/LongTerm/articleId=45220
    Here is the Motorweek 05 Ody MPG. 2MPG more than the GC

link title
    Routinely get low numbers, mainly due to their usual bias towards performance.

It's probably likely to the lack of "drive it like you own it". Tell me, honestly, do you drive a rental car as easy or easier than you drive your own? No, probably not (the majority don't), and likely, the testers do the same.
    Well, you need to remember that they (usually) only have the vehicles for a short amount of time and also do a fair amount of instrumented testing (0-60, 1/4mile, top speed, slalom, etc.) while they've got the vehicle. None of that is really condusive to good mileage numbers.

I really put somewhat more creedance in long-term test results. Unfortunately, the number of vehicles that get tested long term is too low. I can't find ANY long-term tests on the current DCX versions. Has anyone seen any?
    I think Motor Trend did one back in 2002-2003. I remember the vehicle; it was green with pretty 5-spoke chrome wheels.
  • fred222fred222 Member Posts: 200
    - another question, does the variable cylinder management on the Odyssey have any chronic problems
    I have a 2006 Odyssey EX-L. Very few miles (1900) but overall very good. The biggest negative thing that I have to say about the VCM is that with the Cruise Control on and when the conditions warrant shifting from 3 cylinders to 6 cylinders the vehicle will slow down about 1 to 2 mph before the additional cylinder activation happens and then speed up again. You can also feel the engine "lugging" just a little bit. Other vehicles that I own and have owned typically shift down a gear or unlock the torque converter at this point and tend to maintain the speed much better. This is a small thing, but I would prefer it to not be there.
  • artgpoartgpo Member Posts: 483
    I now have 7,600 miles on my EX-L. I am averaging 21.5 in the mixed driving I do. My commute is 25-1/2 miles garage to garage each way. I drive about 23-1/2 of those miles on the freeway at about 68 in the morning and 55 in the afternoon. The last long road trip we took I got 26 mpg.

After all this nonsensical "mine is better than yours" we have been having for weeks it is safe to say "The Honda Odyssey is the Most Fuel Friendly" minivan on the market. ;)
    for our family. Son gets 20 to 24 MPG on long trips with his 2001 Ody EX while my 2002 T&C LX gets 26.5 to 28.2 MPG on long trips.
    Yeah...about that...he wasn't talking about cars that were five years old...he's talking about NEW ones. The old Ody should get 2 mpg average less than a new one w/VCM according to EPA estimates.
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    Chaos, panic, and Disorder- My work is done here
    Edmunds Long Term Test 2005 Odyssey Touring with VCM got 25.1 MPG on a 479 mile trip...which is NOT EPA estimate of 28 MPG. :blush:
    It is obvious that VCM is designed to get good EPA highway estimates and not necessarily better fuel economy...whether it is in the Odyssey V6, Dodge Charger V8, Chevy Impala V8, or whatever vehicle.
    I know I"m very happy with my mileage with my low tech push rod V6 and 4 spd auto...I'm getting 22.5 mpg (using paper/pencil method of dividing distance by gallons used, and also overhead console). That's for very short trips on weekends shopping. Most of the time it sits and I abuse my POS Ford Taurus company car. I should do better once winter breaks around here. On trips I average 25 mpg no problems...sometimes on very flat roads I can pull 27+ (via computer).

I'd guess most minivans can pull 25mpg on highways. My father's Sienna gets 30mpg but his motto of "Just because the speed limits 65mph, doesn't mean you have to do 65mph - you can do 60mph, you can do 55mph". And he does....in the left hand lane all the time.
  • fred222fred222 Member Posts: 200
    Edmunds Long Term Test 2005 Odyssey Touring with VCM got 25.1 MPG on a 479 mile trip...which is NOT EPA estimate of 28 MPG.
    It is obvious that VCM is designed to get good EPA highway estimates and not necessarily better fuel economy...whether it is in the Odyssey V6, Dodge Charger V8, Chevy Impala V8, or whatever vehicle.

I got just over 28 mpg on a 400 mile trip in my 2006 Odyssey EX-L. Coming back it was 25 mpg. I knew on the return trip that my mileage was going to be lower because I was driving more aggressively.
    Well, as I said, my Sister finally made it here from Ohio in her 2006 black Chrysler. This pretty much makes us a Chrysler family.(Don't like black on a minivan.) Brother's Plymouth van is in the street. No Honda minivan in this family

http://www.carspace.com/marine2
    Nice Carspace....you've inspired me to create my own too!!!
    No Honda minivan in this family

Look out maybe a distant cousin bought one!! No other minivans in my family at all!! They all buy SUV's(Mostof them!!I get alot of wow you bought a minivan I'm sorry dude) or wagons.
    I never gave an SUV a thought socalawd.A minivan will do all I want it to. I can't see an SUV.
    Nice Carspace....you've inspired me to create my own too!!!

I got talked into it dennisctc. Looks like a good place to put pictures of your vehicles.
This discussion has been closed.