Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey vs Dodge/Chrysler minivans

Comments

• hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    WHY would anyone buy 2 NEW Grand Caravans at the same time? :confuse:
    Why not buy 1 new Grand Caravan and 1 Odyssey so you could post as an owner of both sides of this forum?
  • dennisctcdennisctc Posts: 1,168
    Just got my very first CR survey in the mail, this after being a subscriber for a number of years? I rated both my Minivan and 3 series, plus my dishwasher and hot water heater. Do they only send these out to subscribers?
    I own a 2006 Sienna LE but do not feel I can boast. It was a difficult choice deciding on the Sienna LE instead of the GC SXT or Odyssey EX. Each has advantages. ;)
    YES, CR sends the survey ONLY to subscribers and then asks for a large donation to help pay to mail and process the surveys. :sick: :sick:
  • cpsdarrencpsdarren Posts: 265
    Yes, subscribers only. That is one potential flaw in their reliability methodology. I used to get them every year but haven't seen one for a year or two now.
  • marine2marine2 Posts: 1,155
    The Intrepid came out in 1992 as a 1993 model. I had a '93 Intrepid bought back by Chrysler under owner's arbitration. It led to a worst '94 Dodge GC and the last product I'll ever buy from that company. The Caravan has been around since 1984, not 2001.

I had a 1993 Eagle Vision, the sister to the Intrepid. We kept it until 2004 when we bought our Civic. The a/c went out in 2004, we replaced the rubber motor mounts in 2001. The clock spring in 2003. Those were the only things that went wrong in 11 years of owning that car. I think the Arizona heat done in the motor mounts.

We are going on 16 months with our 2005 Dodge GC, and so far, have did nothing but changed the oil and filters. Before the Eagle Vision, we had a 1988 New Yorker we kept for 5 years and only needed the auto switch repaired on the a/c.
  • socalawdsocalawd Posts: 542
    had a 1993 Eagle Vision, the sister to the Intrepid. We kepted it until 2004 when we bought our Civic. The a/c went out in 2004, we replaced the rubber motor mounts in 2001. The clock spring in 2003. Those were the only things that went wrong in 11 years of owning that car.

We are going on 16 months with our 2005 Dodge GC, and so far, have did nothing but changed the oil and filters. Before the Eagle Vision, we had a 1988 New Yorker we kept for 5 years and only needed the auto switch repaired on the a/c.

Really not that amazing I've had only 1 instance in over 20 years and probably 500K miles where I've been stranded. My company 1991 dodge caravan broke a motor mount. It happened at the toll booth(heard a big clunk)at dodger stadium! Later when I tried to start it the motor had come up so far it tore the a wire out for the starter motor. Towed and fixed the next day! My intrepid had only tranny replaced and air conditioning in 100k miles really not too bad!
    FWIW . . . and, most contrary to CR results, my 1994 GC ES has been an exceptional minivan. I know I'm probably in the minority here! It's up to 159K now, and still on the orignal 4 speed ECT. The 3.3L V6 is still going strong and delivers at least 25MPG on the highway, with the A/C on during the summer. And, no rust anywhere, including around the rear window. One thing that really blows me away is the exhaust system. It's original as well, and no problems with the mufflers, connecting pipes, or the catalytic converter.

I looked to see if ya had any other issues you mighta left out! The guys here say I only give part of the story well here's the other part!

Honda vs Ody post # 4221

However, it's other factors which bug the heck out of me with our Caravan. The two motors for the rear vent wings failed almost simultaneously only a couple of years after purchase; the front and rear A/C evaporators have been a constant source of trouble; occasional ABS problems that raise their ugly head, and then go away for some unexplained reason; the flourescent display for the radio/CD player/clock died; intermittent problems with the body computer which contols the gauge package, and most importantly, the paint flaking off the roof and the hood (This one really bothers me - it's totally unacceptable!). On the other hand, the exhaust system is original after 11 years - certainly the longest period of time I've ever owned a vehicle without replacing the exhaust system, and the high-level interior looks new after over a decade of use. And, no suspension problems except for replacement of the front struts at around 90K miles.

I've used Mobil 1 5W-30 since the inception, and change it religously every 3K miles. And, I change the ATF and filter on the transmission every 20K miles. All in all, it could certainly be worse. Would I buy another DC minivan? That's a good question, I really don't know. It would be a tough call, as it seems other marques are having their share of problems as well.
  • marine2marine2 Posts: 1,155
    What I think is funny is how right after Dodge came out with the cab forward design everyone was like wow. Then 5 years later it was a thing of the past!

What I really liked about cab forward, was that even though they were front wheel drive, the engines weren't transversed. They sat in there just like rear wheel drive and you could reach most everything on the engine.
  • Claire@EdmundsClaire@Edmunds Chicago areaPosts: 968
    hi, lisakl,

Hope your daughter is okay. Look through the posts made during the past two weeks and you'll find numerous discussions started by one member who reported a similar experience. If you'd like to know if any others have had this problem, your best bet is to read the complaints filed with the NHTSA, and then file one while you're there.

Claire

HOST

. The clock spring in 2003. Clock spring was made by Methode, one of our competitors. I remember quoting them to DCX for Minivans etc..about a $12 sell price!! We never won any domestic business with Clockspring, but Tyco Electronics sells many to VW, Audi and BMW.

Clock Springs scare me more than anything else we sell. You have constant moving/rubbing parts everytime the steering wheel is turned.
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    You went back almost a year digging for dirt on that? Do you have a team of investigators...researchers working for you?

You left out the "other part" in w9cw's post, where he wrote his 12 year old van had been very "reliable" and was on the original transmission. Take all the problems he's listed over the 12 years/159k miles he's owned the van, and I think it has done fairly well.
    You went back almost a year digging for dirt on that? Do you have a team of investigators...researchers working for you?

You left out the "other part" in w9cw's post, where he wrote his 12 year old van had been very "reliable" and was on the original transmission. Take all the problems he's listed over the 12 years/159k miles he's owned the van, and I think it has done fairly well.

Really nice to hear your opinion! ;) Enjoy your day!! :shades: I get stuff misquoted about me from a year ago! Does this ever concern you!! As far as a team of investigators. There is a search function on this site. It's pretty easy to use! I included the post number and said I said I was including stuff he left out! :confuse:
    "You went back almost a year digging for dirt on that? Do you have a team of investigators...researchers working for you?"

Not needed with the wonders of modern technology. Perhaps he typed in "Caravan problems w9cw" into the Edmunds 'Search This Discussion' box or into Google. Takes only a few seconds...
    Hmmm but now that you brought it up, didn't Honda also have problems with their automatic transmissions????

Yep the 5 speeds had a engineering design problem! This resulting in 2nd gear oil cooling(All trannys inspected and oiljet upgrade if no dicoloration, tranny replacement if there is wear/discoloration). The recall was for most 2001-2004 vans. The warrenty was extended to 100K miles for this tranny! There is also some issues with the third gear clutch pack.
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    Sorry, I left out the winky eyed emotorcon indicating humor not to be taken seriously. I realize there is a search function...and have actually used it myself a few times. ;)

That you would go to the lengths of searching back 10 months for data to support a post... indicates that you make a sincere effort at posting accurately/honestly. You are one of the more entertaining members on our minivans board, and I do enjoy reading your posts. So, don't get to :mad: at me. :shades:

I do question your strategy of opening a battle on another front though. Best to finish dennistc off first...then go on to poor ole w9cw. ;)
    "Sorry, I left out the winky eyed emotorcon indicating humor not to be taken seriously."

See, socalawd? He fell for it. You can tell your crack team of grad student researchers to relax, now.
    See, socalawd? He fell for it. You can tell your crack team of grad student researchers to relax, now.

Good, paying them all that overtime was killing me! :P
    Sorry, I left out the winky eyed emotorcon indicating humor not to be taken seriously. I realize there is a search function...and have actually used it myself a few times.

In the immortal words of Homer!
    Doh!! :surprise:

I do question your strategy of opening a battle on another front though. Best to finish dennistc off first...then go on to poor ole w9cw.

Seems that w9cw is a very reasonable guy. Just wanted to point out nothings perfect. As for dennis there's no finishing him off. I only hope to cancel him out! :cry:
    I only hope to cancel him out!

Keyword: HOPE

Dream On!!!!
This discussion has been closed.