Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey vs Dodge/Chrysler minivans

Comments

• badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    You very well may be correct about condensers being more fragile than previously. The never ending battle against cost and weight in the auto industry, I assume.

Any "field fix" shield installed in the 2005 models must been adapted in production, as my 2006 GC is very well protected.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Hmmm...Your profile shows you have a 2006 Accord and a 1996 Accord.
    Would you mind telling why you no longer drive an Odyssey? My wife and I could never go back to driving a sedan after getting our first minivan

Sure!

Keep in mind that I'm 19, go to school and commute from my family home; BE WARNED, THIS IS A LONG POST

Here's my little car-ownership bio:

Before I graduated high school, my parents gave me an incentive. If I got a scholarship to one of the colleges I wanted to attend, my parents would take the money they were going to put towards my college, and put it into a new car for me (I've always been a little too big @ 6'4" for my 1996, plus it has a good number of miles on it)... When I started at University of AL @ Birmingham, I got a $16,000 scholarship. At the time, we had my 1996 Accord, our 2000 Ody, and our 2005 Accord (the 05 is "Dad's" car, the van was "mom's."

Let me say, first of all, that our van was getting driven very little. By September, gas was over $3, and our van got 18-20 MPG and wanted premium gas. I was putting over 2,000 miles a month on my 96, and even mom was taking my Accord out around town, b/c it gets 28 MPG versus 18 of the Odyssey. My parents work at the same company, and their offices even share a wall (they met at work over 20 years ago, insert 'awwww' here ;) ). They took my dad's car to work 99% of the time, and the van sat almost untouched the majority of the time.

SO, by Nov. of last year, our van had been paid off for a year, and mom realized that they ought to go ahead and fulfill their promise to me, by trading in our 5 year old van (with only 39,000 miles on it). They traded the van in on my 2006 Accord, and the 1996 will be driven kind of as the family's "beater" car, or whenever someone left at home still needs to go somewhere and both new cars are gone. The van got $13,000 as a trade-in, since it was exceptionally clean, low mileage, and had zero door-dings/paint flaws save for a couple of rock chips on the bumper.

When I move out, the 2006 Accord will go with me, and the 1996 will stay with the parents. Currently though, I drive the old car in rush hour traffic every day, and drive my new one any other time. It works out nicely, as I put 1,000 miles on each of the cars per month.

As a family of three, the van was nice, but very unnecessary 90% of the time. Now we have three Accords at my house, two of which I generally pick from to drive.

We are just glad that our lowest mileage vehicle happens to be the old Accord (23/31) and averages 27-28 MPG!

Now we have 1996 Accord LX 165,500 miles, 2005 Accord EX 58,000 miles, and my new 2006 Accord EX, 10,800 miles.

I do miss our van on trips though, as it was great to sleep in, and really nice to drive too!
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    THANKS for the detailed information. Congratulations on the scholarship and for being a man of size. At 5'8", I have always been a little envious of taller people and feel taller people have an advantage in life (substantiated by your posting).
    I just got my 2007 Odyssey brochure and noticed the EPA ratings have been lowered to 18/25 for LX and EX and 19/27 for the EX-L and Touring. How far will the EPA ratings drop for the other minivans? :confuse:
    You have convinced me that I should dump the Sienna and get a more desireable Odyssey. :shades: It will have to be Ocean Mist Metallic EX with cloth although I prefer Taffeta White. My wife and I do NOT like the light colored Ivory with very light colored carpet interior.
    Well, being a "man of size" has its downfalls. For example, in basically any vehcile, I don't set the seat to my comfort level; instead, it just goes all the way to the back of travel (I'm long of leg, but short in the torso). Headroom isn't a problem, but legroom almost ALWAYS comes up short. The congratulations on the scholarship are also appreciated. I'm now a little nervous, since I've recently changed my major over to broadcast journalism, but I'm loving it so far (soon to intern at NBC 13 in Birmingham hopefully {www.nbc13.com)!

I convinced you to dump the Sienna? I didn't think I'd ever talked you out of your 'Yota? I also didn't know about the new EPA ratings on the vans.

I would avoid Ivory at all costs; we had an Accord with the "Camel" interior, and it showed all kinds of stains, even though my family tends to lean towards the anal-retentive side of keeping cars clean.
    Probably should be reworded. The Sienna is a very nice vehicle IF the front passenger and the driver have the same metabolism rate. My wife now wants cold air and I need warm.
    We MUST have separately controlled temperature for the driver and front passenger since she does not want to sit in the 2nd row so I could have the heater on in front and run the air conditioning in the rear. :shades:
    Sadly, to get this feature in a Sienna one must get an XLE and none are made for Denver region without $2,000 in extra options. The Ody EX has it and so do most DC minivans.
    The Odyssey has THE BEST seats, the MOST legroom all seats, the BEST designed hardware for 2nd and 3rd row seats, the MOST power with best or tied for best fuel economy.....even though Car and Driver reports the 2007 Sienna will have the Toyota corporate 3.5L V6 rated at 268 horsepower.
    I have added NBC 13 in Birmingham to my AOL favorite places and will be checking up on your success. Can you do a comparison between the 2007 Odyssey EX and the 2007 GC SXT on TV? :shades:
    Haha, well, there will be no mention of me in the near future, (remember I'm not set to graduate until 2009). Still, that station is my dream job - location; I've met many of the on-air personalities, and most of them are genuinely nice people, and were more than willing to let me tag-along on field reports, or watch the news at is was produced. Give me a few years, maybe I can be a consumer advocate reporter and check up on all these vans!
    Hans, you can get the separately controlled driver and passenger controls on even a low end Grand Caravan SE, at least you do if you get it with an option package that includes three zone AC. This is not an automatic climate control system on the SE. I think you have to go up to the SXT to be able to get the automatic climate control option.

If you just want three zone AC and stow and go, Grand Caravan can be purchased for under $20K. We just replaced our 1996 short wheel base Caravan. Got the new Grand Caravan that MSRP'd at $26,640 for only $19555 plus sales tax and title transfer.

Quite a lot of vehicle for fairly little money. Very quiet, comfortable and smooth riding, and despite the smooth ride it still handles pretty well for a big box with a high center of gravity. I am critical of vehicles that ride smooth but float too much, and Chrysler seems to have hit on the nose the compromise all automakers have to make between ride and handling.

Yes, the interior is quite plain, especially on the SE model, however everything is very functional and well put together, which in my book counts much more than "bling".

We did not trade in the old Caravan. We sold the 1996 for $3400, so we upgraded to the new Grand Caravan for only $16155. Now we should be good for another ten years of Caravaning.
    Correction, I believe that Caravan/Dodge Caravan have individual passenger/driver side temperature controls on even the base models of Caravan/Grand Caravan.
    The SE is now the base Caravan/Grand Caravan but the separately controlled temperature for driver and front passenger is NOT available on the Caravan SE but is standard equipment on the Caravan SXT with MSRP $ 23,235.
    It is available as an option on the SWB T&C in the $ 990 Popular Equipment Group.
    The Odyssey EX @ $28,945 ($ 29,290 for 2007 Ody EX)has automatic separately controlled temperature for the driver and front passenger...but has NO trip computer or compass.
    To get the feature in a Toyota Sienna, one must get an XLE which is about $ 30,000.....BUT, in Denver Region the XLE least expensive mandatory option package costs about $ 2,500. :sick: which puts the MSRP well over $32,000. :cry:
    No shiny surfaces at the top of the dash in the Ody or DC minivans to cause glare from the sun as in the very poorly designed dash of the Sienna (and my 2003 PT Cruiser).
    I can't understand why the so-called experts at CR, Motor Trend, etc. never notice something as obvious as glare from poorly designed dash and instrument cluster. :lemon:
    Hansienna,

I have to disagree, as my brand new 2006 Grand Caravan SE has a separate temperature slider control for driver and passenger. This is still a manual, not automatic climate control. This feature is for sure included when you get a GC SE with the optional three zone AC/Heater. I also found a picture, I believe it was in Edmunds, showing the center stack on a Base Caravan/Grand Caravan that did not have the three zone option, and this center stack also had separate driver/passenger manual temperature sliders. I could tell this was the base unit, because the center control knob that allows override of the rear A-C heater controls was missing, yet it still had the separate sliders for driver and passenger.
    The photo you are referring to with the separate sliders is one of the short wheel base Caravan SXT since it has separately controlled temperature for driver and front passenger but NO rear A/C and NO rear heater with the separate fan in the right rear. (There are heating vents under the front seats of ALL Caravans and Grand Caravans).
    In 1999, the Caravan SE and Grand Caravan SE were one step UP from the base Caravan and base Grand Caravan. DC eliminated the base and renamed the lowest priced Caravan and Grand Caravan the "SE" model in 2001 or 2002.
    With NO extra options, the Grand Caravan SE has the same front air conditioning as the short wheel base Caravan SE with one control, NO sliders, and NO rear A/C and NO rear heater.
    When you add Popular Equipment Group to the Grand Caravan SE, there is triple zone control with the rear A/C and rear heater.
    However, the short wheel base Caravan SXT with MSRP $ 23,235 has standard equipment the sliders for separately controlled temperature for the driver AND front passenger. A rear A/C and rear heater is NOT available for the short wheel base Caravan SXT.
    I stand corrected, I will have to take your word for it. I never sat in a 2006 GC SE without the three zone AC/Heat system, as this feature plus the Stow and Go were what convinced us to move up to the Grand Caravan, though we still kept the price we paid down to under $20K before sales tax, title and license transfer.

In any event, good luck to anyone trying to find an Odyssey or Sienna at that price that includes three zone heating and air with separately controlled driver and passenger controls. Of course you won't find Sto and Go in the second row of those vans at any price.
    The Odyssey (and Sienna) have some standard features that are quite costly on the DC minivans such as 6 CD in dash changer with MP3 capability and side curtain airbags that are $ 555 and $ 605 options (total $ 1160) in the GC SXT.
    In effect, I WASTED $1160 for these items that I did NOT want and gave up the comfort of 3 zone AC/Heating system of a DC minivan...and got a noisier minivan as a bonus. The Odyssey (and Sienna) have nice, quiet engines but on the highway the wind noise makes the Ody and Sienna noisier overall than DC minivans. :sick:
  • dennisctcdennisctc Member Posts: 1,168
    The Odyssey (and Sienna) have some standard features that are quite costly on the DC minivans such as 6 CD in dash changer with MP3 capability

These are soo 90s!! iPods rule!!!!
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    The Odyssey (and Sienna) have some standard features that are quite costly on the DC minivans such as 6 CD in dash changer with MP3 capability

These are soo 90s!! iPods rule!!!! "

Well, yeah, but it has the AV inputs right in the center stack as well.. What I like best about the DCX stereo, which is so nicely integrated with the video screen, is that you can load 6 DVDs (or CD's) right in the center stack. Great for always having a few DVDs loaded, and not having to fuss with changing them out. I beleive this is still exclusive amongst minivans, which shocks me. Most have DVD units seperate for the screens, some of them absurdly located up on the roof AT THE SCREEN LOCATION! Nuts
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "Most have DVD units seperate for the screens..."

Which allows for the rugrats to watch their movie and listen to the sound on their own headphones, and mom/dad to enjoy their own CD through the vehicle's soundsystem.

Unless your system will play a DVD and a CD at the same time.
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    My DC minivan allows me and my wife to listen to Cd or radio while kids are watching DVD with headsets on.
    That's interesting. Does your DC minivan load the DVD into the same CD changer or is there a separate player for the DVD system?
  • masterpaul1masterpaul1 Member Posts: 421
    Daimlerchrysler has a separate 6 DVD/CD changer at the bottom of the center stack. If you have a CD player in the radio, you can play both at the same time. I would like to get the Daimlerchrysler video system, but it cost $1800 installed. I've looked at other after market one's but none mount in the center stack and able to load 6 DVD/CD with audio/video inputs. :shades:
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    There is a separate changer for the CD and DVD, but the radio controls the audio/video to be played. There is a "mode" rocker switch on the radio which controls AM FM CD and VCR. There is also a switch called "rear" with a headphone symbol on the radio. When pushed it plays the selected radio station, CD or DVD through the headphones only. When playing a DVD thru the headphones for the kids, the mode switch can be pushed allowing the front passengers to listen to a CD or radio while the kid(s) watch a DVD. My Van is a 2003 DC
    Another example of DaimlerChrysler minivans offering nice options that the dim wits at CR can not appreciate.
    I vividly recall the ridicule that was thrown at DC when the 2001 DC minivans offered a power liftgate. Now, Honda brags about the Odyssey Touring having a power tailgate. :shades:
  • dennisctcdennisctc Member Posts: 1,168
    I vividly recall the ridicule that was thrown at DC when the 2001 DC minivans offered a power liftgate.

A great value at $400 available on ANY DCX minivan!! I use mine all the time and love it! Especially during the winter here in Detroit, when the cars are filthy and you don't want to even touch the exterior!!
    "Now, Honda brags about the Odyssey Touring having a power tailgate."

They do? I must have missed that......

Does anyone doubt that DC will 'brag' when they introduce roll-down mid-row windows?
    With DaimlerChysler's excellent three zone Heating/AC system, roll down second row windows are a feature I would rank way down on the bottom of my list, however since the competition has introduced it, it is now becoming a "standard". Ever open a second row window in almost any vehicle at highway speeds? The wind buffeting is ridiculous. I would much rather have fresh air, whether heated, cooled or just vent air, introduced quietly through the air vents.
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    I have the Navigation, which uses the DVD slot in the radio.. So I can only listen to the radio while the DVD w/ headphones are being used. I guess I could take out the NAv DVD, but I never have...
    "Ever open a second row window in almost any vehicle at highway speeds? The wind buffeting is ridiculous."

Very true.

However, with kids in the car, we've found MANY MANY occasions when they like to be able to roll their own window down.

It's not always just about ventilation; sometimes they just want to be able to see out better, or have a short conversation with someone standing next to the car (grandparent, a friend at school, saying goodbye to dad in the a.m., etc.).

In fact, in our case the mid-row windows go down MORE frequently than the rear-hatch is opened.

Let me put it this way: would you buy a car with a front passenger door window that was fixed in place? After all, you don't need that window to go down for ventilation....
    Of course I would not want my driver side front window to not go down, however, really the only times I ever use it are to grab a parking ticket in a parking ramp, and to pay an occasional toll when I have to venture south to the flatlands (AKA Illinois and their #%&$* toll roads!), and very rarely when sitting in the parked van not running.

Second rows windows, much less required, and once again, way down on our list of requirements, however obviously not on yours, which is fine. No van on the market has the best features of all the brands put together.

The DaimlerChrysler minivans will have second row opening windows when the 2008's come out anyways, so this will soon be a moot difference.
    "Of course I would not want my driver side front window to not go down..."

Um, I specifically said front PASSENGER side window......

All I was TRYING to point out is that ventilation at highway speeds is NOT the only reason to have roll down 2nd row windows. But it seems as though everytime a DCX owner discusses this issue, ALL that is ever said is "why would anybody want to roll down their window at highway speeds".

"The DaimlerChrysler minivans will have second row opening windows when the 2008's come out anyways, so this will soon be a moot difference."

Yes. At which time, it would be prudent for DCX to make a point that they now have roll down 2nd row windows. JUST as it is prudent for Honda to point out that they now have a power tailgate on the Touring model. I don't think Honda is BRAGGING about the point; I think it is mentioned just so that folks know it is available.

"No van on the market has the best features of all the brands put together."

Correct. They all have a pretty good mix of features and everyone has to decide just WHICH features are important to them and which are not.
    The mix of features along with a price of under $20K led us to purchase our third Caravan in the last 21 years, a 2006 Grand Caravan SE with Stow and Go, and an option package that included the three zone AC.

I wouldn't have been able to touch a even a base Odyssey with no options for that kind of money, and it wouldn't have had the stowable second row seats available at any price.
    "I wouldn't have been able to touch a even a base Odyssey with no options for that kind of money, and it wouldn't have had the stowable second row seats available at any price."

Absolutely correct. The DCX vans DO offer incredible value.

Unfortunately, after my wife had two seperate incidents in which she can close to rolling her old car, I demanded that our new van have stability control. Something unavailable, at any price, on the DCX vans.

We all have our own criteria. My criteria led me to the Sienna and Ody. Unfortunately, all the side curtain airbags and stability control were extra cost options on the Sienna (though it had a number of other features we liked) and the cost for a Sienna equipped the way WE wanted was way too high.

The Ody EX-L had MOST of what we 'wanted' and met all of MY minimum requirements. And I was able to negotiate a decent (though not terrific price) on one relative to a similarly equipped Sienna.
  • pjk2pjk2 Member Posts: 9
    ask questions... problems per vehicle...
    a "problem" can be a loose thread on a seat .. or it can be a tranny that's gone bad... is this a good way to "rate" vehicle? I think a bad tranny should be weighted as a 10 and a loose thread should be a 1.

Also ... a Honda Odessey costs $10,000 more than a Chrysler minivan.
  • 1997montez341997montez34 Member Posts: 202
    The fact that you need to order a Odyssey Touring or Sienna XLE to get a power liftgate is ridiculous. IMO this feature should be standard on EX/LE and above. That is a major reason I went with the Dodge Grand Caravan SXT. The power liftgate was a $400 option, and worth every penny! My wife won't drive a van without it.

We're coming to the end of our lease in November. I have had a very enjoyable experience with the Dodge.
  • socalawdsocalawd Member Posts: 542
    ask questions... problems per vehicle...
    a "problem" can be a loose thread on a seat .. or it can be a tranny that's gone bad... is this a good way to "rate" vehicle? I think a bad tranny should be weighted as a 10 and a loose thread should be a 1.

Who should I ask you?? BTW I was responding to someone that mixed up thier figures in this over a year ago post. But since you asked have had almost 17 months of problem free driving and I get good gas mileage too!! Got 25mpg+ on recent 1500 mile road trip!! ;)

Also ... a Honda Odessey costs $10,000 more than a Chrysler minivan.

I doubt it more like 5K. But even at 10K it's a good value for me.

But I will give you the award for slowest response to a post :P
    The fact that you need to order a Odyssey Touring or Sienna XLE to get a power liftgate is ridiculous. IMO this feature should be standard on EX/LE and above. That is a major reason I went with the Dodge Grand Caravan SXT. The power liftgate was a $400 option, and worth every penny! My wife won't drive a van without it.

I wouldn't buy one without side airbags and stability control. I can open the rear hatch myself. But don't worry I'm sure that the EX will get it standard soon. No wonder americans are so BIG!! ;) We need to push a button and let something else do the work for us!! :sick:

We're coming to the end of our lease in November. I have had a very enjoyable experience with the Dodge.

I'm sure you could buy it for a song after 2 years.
    You have a problem with a power liftgate? My wife is short and it's very hard for her to reach the hatch and close it, especially in the winter when it's covered with ice & slush. Have you every considered that women are the primary operators of minivans and the power gate is a very useful convenience. And that's what minivans are all about IMO, otherwise we'd all be driving sports cars.

You can get side air bags on the DCX vans now. As for stability control, I'm sure that will be included next year on the redesigned '08 models. I have never felt the need for it, but I know many people feel differently and I'm sure I'll be glad to have it.

As for my Dodge, it has been reliable, comfortable, efficient, and affordable. It is also a GODSEND when dealing with carting kids around. You speak about it as if it was somehow diseased. What's your deal? My daily driver since 12/2002 is a Honda Accord, so I am pretty well versed in Honda ownership (the good and the bad).

I can buy our our '05 for around $15.8K or so. But I am going to lease another one.
    And like anything that is the best, it also costs more. After owning a 2002 T&C LX and a 2006 Sienna LE, we are looking very closely at the 2007 Odyssey EX (cloth) but won't buy until early 2007 when prices come down a little.
    The Sienna just does not meet our expectations after reading the glowing reports by CR and Edmunds when the 2004 Sienna was tested. CR, Edmunds, Motor Trend, and others write about the primitive drive train, old fashioned pushrod engine, aging design, and in general bad mouth the DC minivans while praising the high tech engines and innovations of the Odyssey and Sienna.
    I hope the 2007 Odyssey will not be the big disappointment the 2006 Sienna has become. :sick:
    You have a problem with a power liftgate? My wife is short and it's very hard for her to reach the hatch and close it, especially in the winter when it's covered with ice & slush. Have you every considered that women are the primary operators of minivans and the power gate is a very useful convenience. And that's what minivans are all about IMO, otherwise we'd all be driving sports cars.

Then you need it I don't. I live in So. Cal. But I would love a sports car!! With 3 kids it's not gonna happen. YET!!

You can get side air bags on the DCX vans now. As for stability control, I'm sure that will be included next year on the redesigned '08 models. I have never felt the need for it, but I know many people feel differently and I'm sure I'll be glad to have it.

Actually it's head curtain not side airbags up front. Pretty soon all cars will have stability control.

As for my Dodge, it has been reliable, comfortable, efficient, and affordable. It is also a GODSEND when dealing with carting kids around. You speak about it as if it was somehow diseased. What's your deal? My daily driver since 12/2002 is a Honda Accord, so I am pretty well versed in Honda ownership (the good and the bad).

My Dodge was a little less than those things. I owned a 2001 caravan for almost 5 years. I'm way happier with the Ody. BTW all minivans are a GODSEND(Is this word used for some sort of effect??) for dealing with carting kids around. The dodge is a good value just not for me.

I can buy our our '05 for around $15.8K or so. But I am going to lease another one.

I tried to sell my 2001 caravan with 50K on it after a few months I just traded it in. Lost 60% of purchase price after getting 30% off up front. Still got more than anyone offered me in the OC.
    Sound like you are enjoying your Odyssey. Good for you. I hope you travel many happy miles in it.
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    hans, what happened from the time you test drove your 2006 Sienna to the time you think of it as a disappointment?

Would you have done anything different in your purchasing decision if you could go back in time?

If you didn't have enough road time in the Sienna van, you may want to think about renting the 2007 Ody or 2008 GC SXT for about a week to compare.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    Sound like you are enjoying your Odyssey. Good for you. I hope you travel many happy miles in it.

Yes I am, and the same to you. Minivans are all to overlooked when it comes to great safe economicial family transportation. I have owned 4 dodges and probably will own more in the future I've done probably 350K+ in them and never got stranded. One trany replacement and no engine problem2. Well my 1992 Caravan with the 3 liter did leak oil after 80K. The dodge didn't have the features I wanted but it had the price. ;) I probably shouldn't have bought it in the first place.
    hans, what happened from the time you test drove your 2006 Sienna to the time you think of it as a disappointment?

The toyota dealership personel drugged him before the test drive. How else do you think toyota keeps getting more market share with great customer satisfaction.

Would you have done anything different in your purchasing decision if you could go back in time?

He would have bought a Ody so he could trade it in for a Sienna now!! ;)

If you didn't have enough road time in the Sienna van, you may want to think about renting the 2007 Ody or 2008 GC SXT for about a week to compare.

Seriously wait for the 2008 GC or T&C to come out you maybe kicking yourself in the pants if it's as good as it seems it will be!! :shades:
    I test drove a 2004 Sienna and a 2005 Odyssey a few months before we bought the 2006 Sienna.

At first, I loved the Sienna because of the much more comfortable driver's seat and better performance of the Sienna 3.3L V6 with 5 speed AT than the T&C 3.3L V6 with 4 speed AT.

However, I was too careless to notice the 2006 Sienna did NOT have a cassette player but had the 6 CD in dash changer with MP3 capability. I have many nice cassettes, not many CD's, and no MP3 player. I also noticed that the shiny surface of the Sienna dash reflects sunlight into my eyes and this summer noticed there is MUCH more wind noise in the Sienna than in the T&C (probably since the roll down windows in sliding doors are recessed whereas the T&C windows are flush). It also became apparent that separately controlled temperature for the driver and front passenger is a MUST HAVE feature in any vehicle for my wife and I.

What would I have done differently if I could go back in time? I would HAVE kept the 2002 Chrysler T&C LX and just NOT purchase a new vehicle....Sienna (or Odyssey). :shades:
    Hans,

You could correct your mistake by dumping the Sienna soon so it does not lose much more depreciation and go back to a T&C or Grand Caravan, and you might nearly break even, with the discounts Chrysler is giving. You probably won't be able to get a cassette player option much longer from any manufacturer, though I see Chrysler still offers that option on one of their sound system combinations. If you don't need all the space, you could even consider a short wheel base version, assuming you can live without stowable seats in either second or third row.

From what I have observed, most people don't claim that Odyssey is all that quiet a minivan. Hard to beat either the old or new Chrysler twins for quietness

Or, you can hang on for another year with the Sienna and wait to see what Chrysler's 2008 redesign will bring.

The least expensive option, unfortunately you do not have anymore, which was to keep the old T&C. (unless you find a creampuff late model used one, perhaps that may be a good option?)

It is never a good idea to trade away or sell a vehicle you are very happy with, unless it is getting up in mileage or you fear decreased reliability by driving an older vehicle.
    "Or, you can hang on for another year with the Sienna and wait to see what Chrysler's 2008 redesign will bring. "

Probably your best bet, since cars lose a HUGE chunk in depreciation their first year and much less their 2nd (and subsequent) years. You've already lost that first year's depreciation. Selling now just to by ANOTHER new van (Ody or DCX) is just throwing good money after bad.

Besides, just THINK of the deals you could get on a brand new '07 DCX once the all new '08's hit the dealer lots..... ;)
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    Actually, year one and two for the Honda/Toyota isn't all that bad. Year three and four jumps up a bit. Typically. The domestics take a larger pounding the first couple years. So...you could probably sell/trade the Toyota and buy a 1 or 2 year old T&C and make out like a bandit. I trade every 2-3 years and it's tough to beat the Hondas/Toyotas even if they are more expensive up front.
  • aaron_taaron_t Member Posts: 301
    Oddy EX doesn't have a cassette player either.

You should wait for the 2008 DCX minivans so you potentially don't end up in the same situation a year from now.
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    And if the '08 DC vans have a factory cassette player option I'd fall off my chair in disbelief. Gone like yesterday, regardless of how many you've got laying around.

The Ody does have a dealer-installed Cassette option (as do a lot of other vehicles). It goes where the OEM DVD player goes, so if you have the RES you're out of luck.
    "The Ody does have a dealer-installed Cassette option"

Yep. Or one could buy the cassette player from HandA Accessories (around $190) and install it themselves.

Instructions:

http://www.handaaccessories.com/odyssey/05odyplayeratt.pdf
This discussion has been closed.