Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Crew Cafe

Comments

• subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    $36k - 2011 Tribeca Limited w/ Nav & moonroof (DW really has been wanting one to replace her 2002 MPV)
    $30k - 2011 Tacoma 4x4 SR5 Double Cab 6speed
    $30k - 2011 Fusion Sport AWD with Nav, SYNC, and moonroof

-Brian
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    My 2005 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad Cab 4x4 dually SLT (mid trim level) stickered at $44K. The 2011 Crew Cab, otherwise equivalent, is $51K. A maxed out Laramie Longhorn (available shortly) is expected to set you back low 60s. Laser-etched leather costs money, ya know...

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host

• lucien2lucien2 Posts: 2,984
    I can't focus on it right now in this economy, but here's my $5k garage: ;)

imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com

imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com

Yesterday I parted company with my first new car ever, the 1999 Outback. Lots of memories in that car....cross country drives, 3 times to Summit Point for HPDE, one season of SCCA RallyCross, loads of road trips, etc. She was (is) great and deserves her semi-retirement in rural MD.

In return however, is this, this, this.... this land based cruise missile of a Volvo. Holy Cow. :shades:
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,962
    That's an awesome looking set of wheels for $5K!!

Congrats!

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

Thanks! It's 240hp, AWD, 0-60 a little north of 7 seconds and tops out at a governed 130mph. Dual zone HVAC, seat warmers, sunroof, leather/suede seats,8 speaker stereo, tailgunner seats in the way back, stock rims with Blizzaks, and those 2004 R rims with Ecstas.

previous owner, a Volvo mech, swapped out the interior bulbs for LED, also made his own HID kit for it, and blacked out the B and C pillars. Oh, and threw in Bilsteins up front, and dual exhaust in back. It even has a trailer hitch.

and it has a rear fog light :blush:
  • ladywclassladywclass Posts: 1,684
    I like it ... and it appeals to the "scrooge" in me .. LOL
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    larger brakes, strut bar, and rear diff
    That's a Torsen, too, isn't it? I forget what year they switched from VC to Torsen. My 93 had a viscous coupling, but my 08 has a Torsen.
    they have some pretty nice rubber flip-flops now for more formal attire

So I'd have two rubber flip-flops and that's about it. I'd drive barefoot.
    Papa Bear - long time, no see. You been hanging out in the background quietly or what?
    Fender gap in the rear is just right, too. Can you lower the front 1/2" or so? That would look so squatted.
  • colin_lcolin_l Posts: 591
    Wow, again. I am not a HD truck purchaser, but I've been passingly aware they were well into the 40s due to acquaintances and extended family having them (or looking, and passing).

But that's just jaw-dropping, a $60k truck. :surprise:

Big luxury SUVs have been in that range and well higher for a long time, so I guess they figured that some folks with that kind of money also need to tow huge 5th wheel campers, small cars, etc. All at once of course! :D
    They went to Torsen pretty early with the "R" models-- maybe 95-97. My ex-wife's 00 Miata had the sport package and sounded about identical to Tom's car. Starting in 99 (I believe, this was a while ago and I no longer follow Miatae) they had some one-per-year options with unique colors and parchment (tan) tops. In 99 it was a pumpkin orange, in 00 it was plum.

My personal favorite of the NBs was the 10th anniversary edition. Gorgeous color.
    Yeah, the specials were ... special, I guess. Most NAs only had the viscous limited-slip.

It's funny, but to test if they still worked, you put the rear axle up on jacks, and turned one wheel. If the Viscous LSD was good, the other wheel would spin in the opposite direction. I guess because the axle shaft did not move and they had to offset each other's motion.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,596
    If I were one that really needed a truck like this, I don't think I would mind too much dropping that kind of cash on one. Given their longevity, they are not something you might buy as often as a small commuter car. I could imagine purchasing one of these things, if used regularly, perhaps once every fifteen years. For my own purposes, it would be once-in-a-lifetime.
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
    edited December 2010
    I think they are the reason the blue collar guys who make housecalls charge $85 just to show up at your door. LOL

May as well call it a truck/fuel surcharge. ;)
  • subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    Yep, I'm a lurker! :)

-Brian
  • nickelnickel Posts: 147
    I am just tired of speed traps! Its unfair the way some counties plan in sucking my hard earned money. Every day I have to cross Ramsey County (where Saint Paul is), on my way from Woodbury (Washington County) to Minneapolis (Hennepin). When entering Ramsey, the limit goes on the Interstate 94 from 65 to 55 mph.

I don't think it was planned that in the mile or so that I will call the transition between counties and limits, the highway goes slightly up, so you can't see further than the top of it (I would say 400 yards). But then, when you leave the uphill, and less than a mile from the new 55 sign, (btw, just in front of the huge Harley store), you find sometimes 3 police cars inline, hitting innocent commuters. It is like the taxi cars in the airport, waiting for passengers.

It is pretty natural as a driver, in that spot, that you keep accelerated for a moment taking the uphill. Then, as every good driver knows you raise your foot and the car speed goes slowing to 55.

Thing is, I am buying a radar. Now, in Minnesota, you can't have any device stuck to windshield (illegal), as you also can't have a laser jammer. So I was thinking in buying something call "Blendmount", pretty neat, that you can install with the autodimming mirror.

My question is, if I hardwire it to the mirror (via factory fuse et all), am I at risk of losing my warranty?
  • tsytsy Posts: 1,551
    Nice Loosh. I've always liked Volvo wagons for some reason. The blacked out B and C pillars make it looke like one really long tinted window- almost like a limo.

Enjoy!

tom
    Right Juice. They switched to a Torsen in '94.

Collin- yes , that 10th AE miata is nice- I've only seen pictures of one. The 99-00 NB's seem to be popular to AutoX as they are lighter with the 1.8L engine.

tom
    Well, you could buy an Escalade Truck, and Lincoln had one for a little while.

We had a neighbor who had a big car collection and he would take his cars to car shows in a trailer pulled behind his fully loaded double cab pickup truck. I'm sure it's similar with people who have large trailerable boats as well. They can easily afford a 'cheap' $60k truck.

I'm sure it's not their bestselling model though. :)

tom
    No, you can't lose your warranty from hardwiring a radar detector.
  • grahampetersgrahampeters AustraliaPosts: 1,633
    G'day

Pillock is a lovely English word, describing the sort of fool who leaves his Ferrari 430 Spyder (convertible) under my office window, roof down, during a thunderstorm. There is something remarkable about watching a newly registered car's front seats fill with water as the rain buckets down. Did you know that it pools deeply on the leather seats?

Cheers

Graham
    No, you can't lose your warranty from hardwiring a radar detector.

I'd say the dealer could void the warranty for anything on that electrical circuit, like the mirror itself, but not on the rest of the car.
    Hmm, that's a good definition- I think I can figure out what it means!

Hey Graham, I though you guys haven't had rain in like, a decade??? Does this mean your drought is over?

tom
    well duh, they ARE seats, right?? :blush:
  • lark6lark6 Posts: 2,565
    Hello Crew old-timers and new-timers too. I can't remember the last time I posted here so I'll give a quick vehicular update.

My daily driver is still the 2005 non-premium Forester XT I bought in August 2004. It now has 95K miles on the odo. It needed a new rear wheel bearing at 91K (replaced both) but otherwise has been trouble free. I sold the hobby car I owned when I joined this board, a 1963 Studebaker Lark, in June 2007. At the end of 2008 I picked up another hobby car, a 1970 Porsche 911T which I still own.

My FXT went into the dealer's body shop this afternoon to repair a couple of scratches the dealer's service techs put into the paint during the 90K service a couple of months ago - on their dime of course. Also on their dime is the loaner car I have for the next three or four days - a 2010 Forester in base trim - at least I think it's base. It has cloth seats, a rubber steering wheel and no seat heaters, but i does have a sunroof.

The short drive home (~ 5 miles) from the dealer was uneventful, but without an owner's manual I found a lot of the switchgear confusing. Especially unnerving is the variety of colored lighting - gauges are blue and white with white needles, radio and HVAC controls are red, clock/thermometer are gray and the blaring "passenger airbag OFF" light bright amber. There's also this blue mood lighting in the console and coming down from the roof by the map lights that are annoying, especially the overhead blue light that I'd douse if I could. It all disorients and confuses me.

But enough of my Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer schtick. I'm off to find an online '10 Forester owners manual. Nice to see you all and I'll be back with some crabby middle aged guy thoughts over the next few days...maybe ven try to make a chat.

Ed
  • grahampetersgrahampeters AustraliaPosts: 1,633
    G'day

The drought has been rather severe, lasting since 1996. Our water storages are now at about 50% of pre 1996 levels but the drought definitely seems to have abated.

I am a Loss Adjuster and we seem to be doing a lot of weather claims at present. There are dire storm warnings for the next 36 hours so business is looking good!.

My wife, somewhat unkindly, equates Loss Adjusters with Undertakers; Taking Delight in Other's Misfortunes!

The Ferrari F430 Spyder was notable for the appearance of a roof today!

Cheers

Graham
    Hey Ed! Welcome back. I can tell you've been gone quite a while because I don't think there have been any Edmunds chats for at least 2 years, maybe 3. I have no idea why there are still links to them but I guess that's why we are due for a Forums & Carspace overhaul very soon.

1970 911T? How cool. I bet it doesn't get out in the winter much. :)

You should definitely stop in and post every now and then. Good group of folks. I haven't owned a Subaru in 8 years and they still accept me. Not that I gave them a choice. ;)
    edited December 2010
    1970 911T? How cool. I bet it doesn't get out in the winter much

A new Miata with summer tires ain't any better!

:D

Side note: as these tires wear, they are NOISY as all heck. Annoyingly so. Tire pressures checked regularly. I'll have to get tires that are more "touring" oriented next time around.
  • lark6lark6 Posts: 2,565
    edited December 2010
    Thanks, Colin.

No, the 911 is pre-galvanized so I keep it off the salt. I put it away for the winter last weekend though I do need to top off the tank and add some fuel stabilizer. Better do that before they salt the roads here. If I lived in a warmer climate I'd drive it year-round; it is bar none the most fun-to-drive car I've ever owned. I've driven it more in two years than I drove my Studebaker in five. :P

Then again if I lived in a warmer climate I might never have bought a Subaru. :confuse: Buying one was my concession to living in the North for the foreseeable future. However I see they've made inroads in the South in recent years as well, and not just in the mountainous areas.

Ed